Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 272 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1689Likes

post #8131 of 9464 Old 11-21-2015, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Found a Matroska file that my Oppo BD103D can't play

For the first time in 18 months, I have got into a video compatibility issue with my 103D. The container is Matroska and video format is HEVC ([email protected]). Im not sure if I ever played a X265 compressed file before but I notice that even runing it on my Core i5 PC sometimes struggles too.

Is this a known compatibility issue and is Oppo working on it? I guess if they can bring a SW decoder it might be avaiable in the future, but if it is a HW decoder issue, we are done here

Any thoughts?

EDIT: I read on other threads that the MEDIATEK 8580 decoding chipset doesn't support HEVC or any resolution higher than Full HD. So only way is to recode these files to H264 Im afraid..

Last edited by RubenJ; 11-21-2015 at 05:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8132 of 9464 Old 11-21-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hi Guy`s ,

Happy Holidays to ALL !

And on a side note , the Oppo BDP-103D makes for a fine Blu-Ray player

Later

Gary 
post #8133 of 9464 Old 11-21-2015, 08:11 PM

How to set up a SMB sharing between WD MyCloud and Oppo 103D?

I followed up this topic sometiem ago in the thread but never got to make it working.
As soon as I plug my WD MyCLoud into my local network, the Oppo BD103D can see all the files through the DLNA server. However, I don't know hwo to establish a SMB sharing connection between them.
I have googled it and doen some reading and is not 100% clear.

Could please anyone that has done it before quickly explain the settings needed?

Last edited by RubenJ; 11-21-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8134 of 9464 Old 11-21-2015, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 2997
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenJ View Post
I followed up this topic sometiem ago in the thread but never got to make it working.
As soon as I plug my WD MyCLoud into my local network, the Oppo BD103D can see all the files through the DLNA server. However, I don't know hwo to establish a SMB sharing connection between them.
I have googled it and doen some reading and is not 100% clear.

Could please anyone that has done it before quickly explained the settings needed?
You'd need to ask WD MyCloud people. That's where it would be set up - if that device has the capability. I did a quick search and it appears it does. Suggest you search the WD manual for SMB.

For reference: on the Oppo's Network screen, a SMB share uses a little icon with 2 computer towers. A DNLA server will use a custom icon, or a generic icon.
post #8135 of 9464 Old 11-21-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You'd need to ask WD MyCloud people. That's where it would be set up - if that device has the capability. I did a quick search and it appears it does. Suggest you search the WD manual for SMB.

For reference: on the Oppo's Network screen, a SMB share uses a little icon with 2 computer towers. A DNLA server will use a custom icon, or a generic icon.
Thanks for the quick reply! In the pdf manual there is only a single reference about SMB (only to say the protocol is supported), which is dissapointing and I have been through all the options in the Twonky Media server but no luck.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...779-705103.pdf
post #8136 of 9464 Old 11-22-2015, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 2997
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenJ View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! In the pdf manual there is only a single reference about SMB (only to say the protocol is supported), which is dissapointing and I have been through all the options in the Twonky Media server but no luck.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...779-705103.pdf
Twonky is DNLA, has nothing to do with SMB.
post #8137 of 9464 Old 11-22-2015, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to media files

Just purchased a 103D and looking for advice on how to connect my external HD with approximately 1,500 FLAC files to the Oppo. What are the advantages and disadvantages of connecting the HD directly to the Oppo vs. connecting through my Netgear router? Does the method of connection impact in any way the user interface I will be using to select and play the music? I plan to primarily use the Media Control app on my smartphone to control playback, if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
post #8138 of 9464 Old 11-22-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapper58 View Post
Just purchased a 103D and looking for advice on how to connect my external HD with approximately 1,500 FLAC files to the Oppo. What are the advantages and disadvantages of connecting the HD directly to the Oppo vs. connecting through my Netgear router? Does the method of connection impact in any way the user interface I will be using to select and play the music? I plan to primarily use the Media Control app on my smartphone to control playback, if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
There will be benefits/limitations with either setup you described above, but either way, there will be no difference in the sound quality of your FLACS decoded by your Oppo player with either method.

With your usb drive connected directly to your Oppo player, the MediaControl app will recognize it as a usb attached device. However, that drive will not be available on your network when you want to add/delete files on your drive. By attaching your usb device to a usb port on your router, your Oppo will have to recognize your drive as a network attached storage device via a network protocol (i.e. SMB, DLNA, etc) that your router will provide, which is another layer of software you really don't need...however, the benefit of this configuration is that you can add/delete files on your drive from your network (don't have to disconnect/reconnect your drive cabling).
ambesolman likes this.
post #8139 of 9464 Old 11-22-2015, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 116
a couple of questions...

1. is there a media controller app for windows (or better,yet, a pc desktop version)? could have sworn i came across a windows app version a while back, it wasn't at the windows store tho, i believe it was at one of those 3rd party app sites...

2. just downloaded the nfl app for windows and it has a "cast" option which, when selected, lists my oppo 103d and cx-a5100 as connection options... selecting either successfully "connects" the nfl app to either the oppo 103d or a5100, but i haven't seen what the results are given i've been playing with this remotely, i.e. i'm away from my equipment... so what can the oppo and a5100 do with the nfl app once connected? can the oppo stream the video content that the nfl app offers? can the a5100?
post #8140 of 9464 Old 11-22-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
There will be benefits/limitations with either setup you described above, but either way, there will be no difference in the sound quality of your FLACS decoded by your Oppo player with either method.

With your usb drive connected directly to your Oppo player, the MediaControl app will recognize it as a usb attached device. However, that drive will not be available on your network when you want to add/delete files on your drive. By attaching your usb device to a usb port on your router, your Oppo will have to recognize your drive as a network attached storage device via a network protocol (i.e. SMB, DLNA, etc) that your router will provide, which is another layer of software you really don't need...however, the benefit of this configuration is that you can add/delete files on your drive from your network (don't have to disconnect/reconnect your drive cabling).
Thanks for the quick reply. You confirmed my thoughts on this issue.
post #8141 of 9464 Old 11-23-2015, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

have recently been experimenting with the oppo media control app, looks like it might be something i'll be able to use quite a bit, however nothing shows up when i select the "settings" option located at the bottom of the app, it just loads a spinning "loading" icon which never ends, or on a few occasions it will display the message "tap here" and, once tapped, it will go into its loading thing again... anyone else having this issue? and for those that aren't having the problem, what options are displayed under "settings"?

also, whenever i load the app i get the message that i need to upgrade my oppo firmware if i want to use the tidal service, it asks for firmware version 79-0711B or later, however my oppo insists that it has the latest firmware already installed, which is version 77-0827... btw my oppo is connected to the net via a high speed ethernet connection that is always open...
post #8142 of 9464 Old 11-23-2015, 04:34 AM

HDMI Loop Chain Connection

Is anyone using the infamous "loop chain" method of connecting the Oppo and their AVR in both directions? Based on my research, Oppo attempted to fix HDMI handshaking issues in an update in 2014, but warned that this type of connection could cause electrical damage.

I would like to try it, but obviously the "electrical damage" warning has me spooked. I want to use this method to avoid having to use the HDMI In (Front) jack on the Oppo, thus connecting devices such as my Tivo and Roku to my AVR rather than directly to the Oppo. I could still take advantages of the Oppo's Darbee video processing for all of my devices.

In my opinion, nothing further detracts from the look of an AV system than having cables comes out of the front of the equipment. Manufacturers - find a way to put all of the jacks in the rear!

Anyway, curious to hear if others are successfully loop chaining without problems.
post #8143 of 9464 Old 11-23-2015, 05:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
have recently been experimenting with the oppo media control app, looks like it might be something i'll be able to use quite a bit, however nothing shows up when i select the "settings" option located at the bottom of the app, it just loads a spinning "loading" icon which never ends, or on a few occasions it will display the message "tap here" and, once tapped, it will go into its loading thing again... anyone else having this issue? and for those that aren't having the problem, what options are displayed under "settings"?

also, whenever i load the app i get the message that i need to upgrade my oppo firmware if i want to use the tidal service, it asks for firmware version 79-0711B or later, however my oppo insists that it has the latest firmware already installed, which is version 77-0827... btw my oppo is connected to the net via a high speed ethernet connection that is always open...
The Settings page allows you to view and change all of the player's Settings. It is particularly cool because it works even when an app like Netflix is running which seizes control of the User Interface and prevents access to the settings using the normal remote.

It isn't loading for you because your player firmware is out of date. The current Official firmware is 80-1031.

If you are in the US or Europe, network install should get you that. If not, you can download your regional version by going to the Support page on the correct OPPO web site (OPPO Digital for North American players or OPPO UK for European players) and nabbing the file for install via a USB stick. If you are in other regions, check with your local distributor's web site to see if the local firmware update has been released yet.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 11-23-2015 at 07:20 AM.
post #8144 of 9464 Old 11-26-2015, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The Settings page allows you to view and change all of the player's Settings. It is particularly cool because it works even when an app like Netflix is running which seizes control of the User Interface and prevents access to the settings using the normal remote.

It isn't loading for you because your player firmware is out of date. The current Official firmware is 80-1031.

If you are in the US or Europe, network install should get you that. If not, you can download your regional version by going to the Support page on the correct OPPO web site (OPPO Digital for North American players or OPPO UK for European players) and nabbing the file for install via a USB stick. If you are in other regions, check with your local distributor's web site to see if the local firmware update has been released yet.
--Bob
thanks for the reply... unfortunately, even now that my 103d has been updated to the latest firmware (bdp10x-80-1031, the settings button on the oppo mediacontrol for bdp-10x app is still not working, all other app buttons work fine (browse, now playing, remote, touch control and more) .... when i select "settings" (which launches "setup" according to the screen grabs), i either get endless spinning dots or a "tap to reload" message that returns me to the endless spinning dots when tapped... i have uninstalled and reinstalled the app several times and i have also performed hard rests on the opp unit, still no love.... also, the app reports "the player has disconnected" about 5 minutes after launch... fwiw i've met all of oppo's requirements in terms of this app functioning correctly which includes:

1. This application will only work with players that have a supported firmware version
installed. The latest firmware can be downloaded from the OPPO Digital website.

2. The following conditions must be met in order for the application to wake the
player from standby mode: the player’s wireless adapter must be connected to the
player’s rear USB 1 port OR the player must be connected to your network via wired
Ethernet, and the player must have “Quick Start” mode selected under Setup Menu /
Device Setup / Standby Mode.
post #8145 of 9464 Old 11-26-2015, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

btw, is there a way to have the oppo skip to a networked folder that actually contains content rather than having oppo show "pictures, music, video" folders first? i have a hard drive that contains all of my networked media, which i have designated as shared, but when i select the networked computer with the content oppo first shows the 3 aforementioned folders, which i have to jockey through to get to my shared media drive, which is located within oppo's "video" folder... oddly tho, when i use the app i get taken straight to my media folder when i selected the networked computer i want...
post #8146 of 9464 Old 11-26-2015, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 158
From the change log:
9. Resolved an audio loss issue that could occur with MKV files with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio tracks. For proper bitstream output of a Dolby TrueHD sound track in MKV files, the sound track must contain the full Dolby TrueHD audio data, including both the MLP and AC3 parts. If the AC3 part has been stripped out, the MLP audio cannot be output as bitstream and will be decoded into LPCM. The resultant LPCM will retain the full quality of Dolby TrueHD.

As a result my few Dolby Atmos movies stored as a mkv are not working anymore. The mkv contains only the TrueHD information (shown as MLP 7.1 by the Oppo), but not the AC3 core, which now seems important. With the old firmware, Dolby Atmos played fine, now it's just PCM and the AVR cannot decode Atmos anymore.
What an improvement!!!

Any chance to extract the AC3 as a seperate audio track from the True HD within the mkv container?

Home theater room with a 7.2.4 setup,
Yamaha CX-A5200/MX-A5000, JVC X5000, Oppo 203,
nubert nuVero series 14/7/3/5 speakers
post #8147 of 9464 Old 11-26-2015, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by multit View Post
Any chance to extract the AC3 as a seperate audio track from the True HD within the mkv container?
Unfortunately, when a Dolby TrueHD stream is muxed into the .mkv container it's AC3 core is automatically removed. It's a Matroska container flaw So no, there's no chance. As you can't extract something that's not there

The good news is the Oppo still supports playback of Dolby TrueHD with Atmos audio when it's placed within the .m2ts container.

The bad news is, it's not possible to re-mux Dolby True HD.mkv contained files directly into the .m2ts container because the .m2ts container requires the (missing) AC3 core to be present, as it's a mandatory requirement

Cheers
multit likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #8148 of 9464 Old 11-26-2015, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the explaination... it's just the bad taste left, that it worked with the old firmware.
So, I need to rerip those Blu-rays then and keep the m2ts instead of mkv.

post #8149 of 9464 Old 11-26-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Personally I'd only re-rip the Atmos Blu-ray disc's to .m2ts!

There's actually no real need to re-rip your regular Dolby TrueHD Blu-ray disc's to .m2ts because you don't loose anything by having the Oppo transcode TrueHD audio to PCM....

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
post #8150 of 9464 Old 11-26-2015, 02:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Thanks for the explaination... it's just the bad taste left, that it worked with the old firmware.
Let OPPO know you vote to return to the prior method of handling MKVs even though it will sometimes fail.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #8151 of 9464 Old 11-28-2015, 04:19 AM

OK, in order to get the highest possible quality, I'm going the m2ts way for Atmos titles and do some reripping for the current ones.

post #8152 of 9464 Old 11-28-2015, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
btw, is there a way to have the oppo skip to a networked folder that actually contains content rather than having oppo show "pictures, music, video" folders first? i have a hard drive that contains all of my networked media, which i have designated as shared, but when i select the networked computer with the content oppo first shows the 3 aforementioned folders, which i have to jockey through to get to my shared media drive, which is located within oppo's "video" folder... oddly tho, when i use the app i get taken straight to my media folder when i selected the networked computer i want...
I have the same network setup, and asked the same question of Oppo's support group. Their reply was that, at least at this time, the Oppo cannot select the correct decoder just by file type. You must first specify which type you want to play (Picture, Music, or Video). They said it is a limitation of the decoder software they license, not a limitation of the player.

Jack
post #8153 of 9464 Old 11-29-2015, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer, my apologies if it's here somewhere.

If I buy a OPPO BDP-103D do I need a Darbee DVP 5100CIE for things like Xbox, TV, etc?

If I buy a Darbee DVP 5100CIE, what is the benefit of the OPPO BDP-103D?

Last edited by mbuck; 11-29-2015 at 12:38 PM.
post #8154 of 9464 Old 11-29-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuck View Post
I searched the forums and couldn't find an answer, my apologies if it's here somewhere.

If I buy a OPPO BDP-103 do I need a Darbee DVP 5100CIE for things like Xbox, TV, etc?

If I buy a Darbee DVP 5100CIE, what is the benefit of the OPPO BDP-103?
It's hard to interpret exactly what you are asking, because you are posting in the 103D thread,
and in your comments you say 103 and not 103D. So are you just accidentally leaving off the "D",
or are you actually referring to a 103 and not a 103D??

The 103D is the player that has built in Darbee enhancement, while the 103 does not.
Here is a list of all differences between the 103 and 103D players...
__________________________________________________ ____

How is the BDP-103D different from the BDP-103?

The BDP-103D subtracts: the Marvell Qdeo video processor
...and adds:
the Darbee Visual Presence video processor
the Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processor
the ability to send DSD over HDMI on the HDMI-1 output.
(this is only possible on the HDMI-2 output of the BDP-103)
the ability to output 4K/50 and 4K/60 in YCbCr 4:2:0 data format on the HDMI-1 output
...and replaces:
the remote with a new version with a Darbee button
All other aspects and functions of the two models are identical.

__________________________________________________ _____

So if you want Darbee enhancement processing, you will need to get a 103D and then run your other devices through the player if
you want those devices to use Darbee.
OR- You will need to get a 103 and then use an external Darbee solution to get the same result.

Last edited by Smarty-pants; 11-29-2015 at 10:53 AM.
post #8155 of 9464 Old 11-29-2015, 12:41 PM

Yes, sorry about that.

I'm comparing buying the Blu-ray player with Darbee vs. buying a Darbee on its own.

What do I gain, beyond Darbee, with the player? Can't I just buy the Darbee and everything runs through it as it goes out to the projector? I already have a blu-ray player (though a Samsung and nothing amazing about it).
post #8156 of 9464 Old 11-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just added one of these to my new Panasonic 8000 and all I can say is WOW.

I am thrilled with what I am seeing, new life in my theater, very happy!
BigRedNole likes this.
post #8157 of 9464 Old 11-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

If I buy a OPPO BDP-103D do I need a Darbee DVP 5100CIE for things like Xbox, TV, etc?

If I buy a Darbee DVP 5100CIE, what is the benefit of the OPPO BDP-103D?
It all depends on how you want it set up. If you're looking to simultaneously input/output multiple devices such as X-Box, TV, Streamer box (Roku, Apple TV) utilizing Darbee, then the standalone unit would work best. The biggest benefit of having the BDP-103D is that you get Darbee built-in at less than half the price, you can still input one device using one of the two 'HDMI IN' for Darbee processing. Not sure if some of the other features are important for you, but to break it down, the highlights are:
-Darbee Processing
-Two HDMI 'IN'
-3 USB Ports
-DVD-Audio
-SACD
-Multiple Streaming Apps such as Netflix and Vudu...to name just a few.
But above all the unit is - Built Quality! 13-lbs of solid compound elements compared to those other cheap plastics.

Last edited by 80sGuy; 11-29-2015 at 05:49 PM.
post #8158 of 9464 Old 11-29-2015, 03:16 PM

I'm thinking I'd want to use the Darbee to process Xbox, HDTV and Blu-Ray. Does that make sense?

Most of our movie watching is HD streamed through Netflix, etc.

So sounds like the standalone Darbee unit is this best option and saves some money (until I need a new player)
post #8159 of 9464 Old 11-29-2015, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
I'm thinking I'd want to use the Darbee to process Xbox, HDTV and Blu-Ray. Does that make sense?

So sounds like the standalone Darbee unit is this best option and saves some money (until I need a new player)

Hi,

I think you got it wrong.

The OPPO 103D has 2 HDMI inputs.
It appears that BOTH Darbee products only have one.

Save your money and just buy an OPPO 103D.

One HDMI input each for both HDTV and your XBOX.

Blu Ray on an OPPO 103D can already be Darbee processed anyway.......so you have covered 3 things!!!

Cheers

Last edited by linger63; 11-29-2015 at 06:54 PM.
post #8160 of 9464 Old 11-29-2015, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

linger63 is correct. For some reasons I thought the Darblet has multiple inputs, but apparently not. For the money I think it is best to purchase the Oppo BDP 103-D considering it is only $100 extra for Darbee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page