Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 287 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1687Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8581 of 9456 Old 04-14-2016, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GreySkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 3,991
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarsabitini View Post
For the premium price we pay for the Oppo, Oppo should fix blu-ray subtitles so they function under DLNA. I particularly don't like their customer service playing dumb and not outright admitting the Oppo can not display blu-ray subtitles under DLNA.
DLNA may be the culprit here, which is why I asked if you've got another DLNA client to check if it'll render your subtitles. From what I've read, it's rather tricky to get external subtitles to render via DLNA, for example, check this thread on the Plex forums. Or, this thread on setting up MKVs for subtitle use via DLNA on Plex.

BTW, it appears that Windows DLNA server does not support external subtitles at all.

Last edited by GreySkies; 04-14-2016 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Added Windows info
GreySkies is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8582 of 9456 Old 04-14-2016, 07:48 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
How do you know the problem isn't your DNLA server? Try a different one as a test, oShare is Oppo recommended.
From my original post--
I can't seem to get my Oppo to display blu-ray embedded subtitles when streaming mkv files over my network. These same blu-ray files properly display subtitles when they're read directly via a usb flash drive. Dvd subtitles are displayed properly over the network but not blu-ray. I've tries this with various media servers, i.e. Windows 10 Media Streaming, oShare at the suggestion of Oppo customer service and Plex. I'm tired of the trial and error approach. This appears to be an Oppo-DLNA "failure to communicate" issue. A google search seems to indicate that this is a known issue - Mezzmo addresses it directly- but Oppo customer service seems to address it as if it's unique just to me. Has anyone else encountered this problem?


I tried 3 different DLNA options and none worked. It appears the Oppo, which I love, can't overcome the inherent DLNA server-client communication limitations. An APP lets say from Plex would avoid the problematic DLNA.

Thanks for your interest.
oscarsabitini is offline  
post #8583 of 9456 Old 04-14-2016, 07:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
DLNA may be the culprit here, which is why I asked if you've got another DLNA client to check if it'll render your subtitles. From what I've read, it's rather tricky to get external subtitles to render via DLNA, for example, check this thread on the Plex forums. Or, this thread on setting up MKVs for subtitle use via DLNA on Plex.

BTW, it appears that Windows DLNA server does not support external subtitles at all.
I wouldn't begin to try external subtitles with DLNA. I was just trying to display embedded blu-ray PGS subtitles which I know worked when run directly via USB. My hearing is not what it used to be and subtitles are very helpful at times. I have no other DLNA client to test particularly since I'm only interested in the Oppo because of its superior PQ and audio. Again, given the premium price, Oppo customer service should be well prepared with a canned response to this couple year old known issue instead of not admitting the Oppo-DLNA limitation and wasting my time. I'm not sure there can be or will be an Oppo firmware fix in the future.
oscarsabitini is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8584 of 9456 Old 04-14-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GreySkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 3,991
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarsabitini View Post
I was just trying to display embedded blu-ray PGS subtitles which I know worked when run directly via USB.
PGS won't work via DLNA. It's not an Oppo issue—it's the DLNA standard. There appears to be a solution, though. SUB subtitles have been reported to work on Oppos via DLNA. So, you need to demux your subtitles, convert to SUB, then remux.

I'd try it to see if this actually works, but I don't like the many limitations of DLNA, so I use SMB.
GreySkies is offline  
post #8585 of 9456 Old 04-14-2016, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,297
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
PGS won't work via DLNA. It's not an Oppo issue—it's the DLNA standard...
PGS subtitles placed within the .mkv container are visible via UPnP on the Oppo... They are however unstable and their timing is way off. And as I've mentioned before, some .mkv muxing applications work better than others.

In much the same way that some .mkv muxing applications worked better than others with regard to Dolby TrueHD audio streams
GreySkies likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #8586 of 9456 Old 04-14-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GreySkies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 3,991
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
PGS subtitles placed within the .mkv container are visible via UPnP on the Oppo...
Whether they visible or not is also going to be dependent on the UPnP server used, correct?
GreySkies is offline  
post #8587 of 9456 Old 04-14-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nott'm, UK
Posts: 3,297
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
Whether they visible or not is also going to be dependent on the UPnP server used, correct?
Indeed... I'm using the one Synology offers with their NAS's. It seems okay. It serves all my UPnP televisions and other media playback devices too...
GreySkies likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 2No Audiolab 8000A, 2No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 4No KEF 103.2, 3No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: DS212+
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #8588 of 9456 Old 04-14-2016, 02:21 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
PGS won't work via DLNA. It's not an Oppo issue—it's the DLNA standard. There appears to be a solution, though. SUB subtitles have been reported to work on Oppos via DLNA. So, you need to demux your subtitles, convert to SUB, then remux.

I'd try it to see if this actually works, but I don't like the many limitations of DLNA, so I use SMB.
Thanks for the input. I saw other literature, on a Mezzmo forum I think, that stated converting PGS subtitles to SUB worked with DLNA. But I do not have the patience to convert every blu-ray-- that's madness. I'll keep using the Oppo and when I need the blu-ray subtitles I'll switch, like you, to SMB. SMB is clunky with a terrible sort and UI on Oppo but it works. However, I am quite peeved with Oppo that their customer service wasted my time in pushing me to trying oShare, it appears it's an Oppo sponsored venture, when they should have known it could never work.
oscarsabitini is offline  
post #8589 of 9456 Old 04-15-2016, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,502
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Does anyone know when the 4k Oppo replacement for the 103d will be out? It is getting hard to keep waiting.
brenthenry likes this.
kutlow is offline  
post #8590 of 9456 Old 04-15-2016, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 3,394
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 438
The best indication from Oppo is late 3rd quarter or 4th quarter of this year.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #8591 of 9456 Old 04-15-2016, 02:46 PM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post
Does anyone know when the 4k Oppo replacement for the 103d will be out? It is getting hard to keep waiting.
The longer you wait the better the produce will be. All our futures are in your hands.

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #8592 of 9456 Old 04-16-2016, 04:12 PM
Member
 
chidancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lisle, il
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Was at the Chicago Axponia yesterday and having a strong interest in MQA, cornered one of two MQA guys there (they had no room of their own, only had one small shared very basic system playing MQA files from a thumb drive). Asked him about Oppo and future partnership for this small technological improvement. He couldn't say, but he did smile. Current dac's or Oppo's do not appear up-gradable although he did suggest that a firmware upgrade would be possible for some dac's until I asked how the two lights showing which of the two level's of MQA is being decoded would be dealt with.

So, after having written Oppo and getting a non response response, hopefully this new improvement in overall sound will be included in future models. It also is advertised of similar or slightly improved sound even if NOT decoded. 2L has a test site with MQA and non MQA downloads to see how it sounds un-decoded versus a regular wav or flac.

Audio Research SP-8 preamp - Aragon 2002A Amp - Well Tempered table and arm - Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers - Oppo 103 (running amp direct) - HK receiver for 7.1 surround sound amplification - tons of vinyl, SACD, DVD-A, and AIX blu ray audio/video. 3+ TB of audio wav files from most genre's.
chidancer is offline  
post #8593 of 9456 Old 04-16-2016, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 7,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidancer View Post
Was at the Chicago Axponia yesterday and having a strong interest in MQA, cornered one of two MQA guys there (they had no room of their own, only had one small shared very basic system playing MQA files from a thumb drive). Asked him about Oppo and future partnership for this small technological improvement. He couldn't say, but he did smile. Current dac's or Oppo's do not appear up-gradable although he did suggest that a firmware upgrade would be possible for some dac's until I asked how the two lights showing which of the two level's of MQA is being decoded would be dealt with.

So, after having written Oppo and getting a non response response, hopefully this new improvement in overall sound will be included in future models. It also is advertised of similar or slightly improved sound even if NOT decoded. 2L has a test site with MQA and non MQA downloads to see how it sounds un-decoded versus a regular wav or flac.
Depends on the future. Meridian MQA is a bit like the chicken and the egg IMHO. Its not good enough to proclaim you have some niffy idea how to improve audio, you have to convince the industry that is worth backing.

A example of marketing fluff courtesy Twice:
Quote:
MQA captures that timing information, “folds” it without loss into the audible range to produce a smaller file, and delivers timing resolution up to 10ms, or 10 time better than that of 192/24 files, MQA Ltd. explained.
So one clever poster responds . . . .
Quote:
". . . delivers timing resolution up to 10ms, or 10 time[s] better than that of 192/24 files, MQA Ltd. explained." OK. Lemmie see . . . 10ms is about 10 feet, and the typical drum kit is about 5 feet deep, the back line of guitar amps is, well, nominally in-line with the drum kit . . . so MQA is saying all this time I could only figure-out where the band is +/- 100 feet for a 192/24 file? I guess this means lowly 48/16 files were placing the band image +/- 10,000 feet. I never suspected this. Ever. And to think, all these years I've been duped as to where the band is.

Oppo Beta Group
JohnAV is offline  
post #8594 of 9456 Old 04-17-2016, 09:20 PM
Member
 
chidancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lisle, il
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Depends on the future. Meridian MQA is a bit like the chicken and the egg IMHO. Its not good enough to proclaim you have some niffy idea how to improve audio, you have to convince the industry that is worth backing.

A example of marketing fluff courtesy Twice:

So one clever poster responds . . . .
Interesting after many (47) years in and around the audio field how many things appear with skepticism. I understand there have been many, many things which did not pan out. (Have a Tice clock for sale. Kidding, of course). With any proprietary technology, the company employing it wants to make sure there are products which can use it when launched. There already are from Meridian and many companies have already been licensed and with Tidal busy encoding a gazillion songs, there certainly will be plenty of music to judge it's effectiveness, with release rumored in May or June. The MQA guy said he was not aware of a way to upgrade an existing Oppo. For one thing, there are two lights to distinguish the higher level source which they call a Master level. Remember, they are saying that olk recordings like '57 Sinatra sessions will be improved as well as the higher order original digital sources and things upscaled like from HD Net. I have enjoyed the improved enhancement of audio now with my fourth Oppo version player. It always gets better.

Since the MQA encode processing itself is supposedly very inexpensive, if Oppo adds it perhaps we will find out if the 4 page impressive TAS "rave" is as optimistic as spelled out. After all, many are not just buying Oppo for playing movies.....the overall audio quality is superb with little competition without spending quite a bit more. Seems to be doing quite well in the market, and everyone in the really expensive stuff speaks highly of it at shows like Axponia. And, customer support is superb. When I upgraded my 83 to an 83SE, they didn't have the new faceplate available. When there was a transport issue months later, it came back with the new 83SE faceplate without even having to ask. Most companies would not have done that. The music sound better with each new product, what more can we ask?

Audio Research SP-8 preamp - Aragon 2002A Amp - Well Tempered table and arm - Apogee Duetta Signature ribbon speakers - Oppo 103 (running amp direct) - HK receiver for 7.1 surround sound amplification - tons of vinyl, SACD, DVD-A, and AIX blu ray audio/video. 3+ TB of audio wav files from most genre's.
chidancer is offline  
post #8595 of 9456 Old 04-18-2016, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Steve.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 584
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Don't think so. Contact OPPO to get a replacement remote.

-Bill
I just bought a spare, only $12 + $5 shipping..... a bargain....
Steve. is offline  
post #8596 of 9456 Old 04-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
pacman9270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Just bought this player last night. No settings have been changed, still running in Default settings. My Sony BDP-s790 is not doing well with 3D discs and I always said I'd replace that player with nothing less than this player. Any suggestions from anyone regarding this player?

5.2 Setup Equipment:
Pre/Pro: Pioneer Elite SC-65
Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
Currently connected via HDMI.

Theater Setup: 5.2.5 (10.1 Auro3D) / ~3100 cu.ft. / Vaulted Ceiling
Projector:JVC DLA-X570R Screen:SI Performance Series 16:9 100" Source Player:Oppo BDP-103D/UDP-203 Pre/Pro:Marantz AV8802A Amps:Emotiva XPA-5(Fronts/Surrounds) and BasX A500(Heights) Fronts/Surrounds:Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 Center:Sonus Faber Venere Center Front/Rear Heights:Definitive Technology PM1000 / ProCenter1000(VOG) Subwoofer:Dual SVS SB-2000 Speaker Wire:Monoprice CL2 12-AWG w/Bananas ICs:BlueJeanCables/Mediabridge
pacman9270 is offline  
post #8597 of 9456 Old 04-27-2016, 12:43 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,317
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked: 4332
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman9270 View Post
Just bought this player last night. No settings have been changed, still running in Default settings. My Sony BDP-s790 is not doing well with 3D discs and I always said I'd replace that player with nothing less than this player. Any suggestions from anyone regarding this player?

5.2 Setup Equipment:
Pre/Pro: Pioneer Elite SC-65
Amp: Emotiva XPA-5
Currently connected via HDMI.
Some tips in the FAQ: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

-Bill
foxxiu and pacman9270 like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #8598 of 9456 Old 04-27-2016, 12:57 PM
Senior Member
 
pacman9270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Holy Bluray Player! That's a TON of great info to reference! I really appreciate you sharing this. Gives me something to start with. Thanks!

Theater Setup: 5.2.5 (10.1 Auro3D) / ~3100 cu.ft. / Vaulted Ceiling
Projector:JVC DLA-X570R Screen:SI Performance Series 16:9 100" Source Player:Oppo BDP-103D/UDP-203 Pre/Pro:Marantz AV8802A Amps:Emotiva XPA-5(Fronts/Surrounds) and BasX A500(Heights) Fronts/Surrounds:Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 Center:Sonus Faber Venere Center Front/Rear Heights:Definitive Technology PM1000 / ProCenter1000(VOG) Subwoofer:Dual SVS SB-2000 Speaker Wire:Monoprice CL2 12-AWG w/Bananas ICs:BlueJeanCables/Mediabridge
pacman9270 is offline  
post #8599 of 9456 Old 04-27-2016, 01:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Im sure there are hours worth of reading to answer this question and as much as I enjoy reading thru hundreds and thousands in this case of posts I don't really have that kind of time right now. We just moved into a new house and I am looking to order the last piece for the new theater so I can start putting all the pieces together. I always wanted to upgrade to an Oppo and now I have the perfect excuse to. We left our old theater as is and are buying all new for the new one. The last piece I need is the Oppo. I was about to order a 103 until I saw there was the 103D. After beating my head on the keyboard for days deciding which sub to order (went with SVS PC-12 plus) I thought ordering the Oppo was going to be get online and do it. Simple as that. So now I have to decide D or no D. So help me decide by telling me what should make my mind up. Is it as simple as if I want my video given more detail that isn't really meant to be there or do I want to leave it how it was meant to be seen? Is there more to it? If so help me understand.

Projector is Epson 6020ub on 106" screen watching from 10 to 12 feet away. New seats are on order so haven't decided exactly where they will be yet.

Please help. I'm ready to get this thing here. Sub will be here Friday and seats hopefully next week.
MEY628 is offline  
post #8600 of 9456 Old 04-27-2016, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
pacman9270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I've been using a Sony s790 player with a Darbee DVP-5000. I'm a big fan of this device and suggest it to those who have the eye for it. Because my s790 is failing, I purchased the 103D.

The whole idea behind the Darbee is to enhance the picture's contrast to give a more sense of depth in the picture. With this device/technology, you should see the difference when it is turned OFF, not ON. I know that makes no sense, but it does when you get used to the picture. For the first 6 months I continued adjusting that device every other week, then found my sweet-spot of HD Mode at 41%. Everyone has their preference. It does not change your color settings or black levels.

I'm hoping to get the same results from my new player. I believe the extra $100 is worth the Darbee feature alone.

Theater Setup: 5.2.5 (10.1 Auro3D) / ~3100 cu.ft. / Vaulted Ceiling
Projector:JVC DLA-X570R Screen:SI Performance Series 16:9 100" Source Player:Oppo BDP-103D/UDP-203 Pre/Pro:Marantz AV8802A Amps:Emotiva XPA-5(Fronts/Surrounds) and BasX A500(Heights) Fronts/Surrounds:Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 Center:Sonus Faber Venere Center Front/Rear Heights:Definitive Technology PM1000 / ProCenter1000(VOG) Subwoofer:Dual SVS SB-2000 Speaker Wire:Monoprice CL2 12-AWG w/Bananas ICs:BlueJeanCables/Mediabridge
pacman9270 is offline  
post #8601 of 9456 Old 04-27-2016, 02:08 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,317
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked: 4332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEY628 View Post
Im sure there are hours worth of reading to answer this question and as much as I enjoy reading thru hundreds and thousands in this case of posts I don't really have that kind of time right now. We just moved into a new house and I am looking to order the last piece for the new theater so I can start putting all the pieces together. I always wanted to upgrade to an Oppo and now I have the perfect excuse to. We left our old theater as is and are buying all new for the new one. The last piece I need is the Oppo. I was about to order a 103 until I saw there was the 103D. After beating my head on the keyboard for days deciding which sub to order (went with SVS PC-12 plus) I thought ordering the Oppo was going to be get online and do it. Simple as that. So now I have to decide D or no D. So help me decide by telling me what should make my mind up. Is it as simple as if I want my video given more detail that isn't really meant to be there or do I want to leave it how it was meant to be seen? Is there more to it? If so help me understand.

Projector is Epson 6020ub on 106" screen watching from 10 to 12 feet away. New seats are on order so haven't decided exactly where they will be yet.

Please help. I'm ready to get this thing here. Sub will be here Friday and seats hopefully next week.
You can look at the Darbee reviews linked in the first posts of this thread.

When used properly Darbee is a subtle effect but almost everyone says a positive one. This is from many people who are skeptical about video enhancements. Unlike traditional sharpening techniques Darbee does not destroy fine detail.

Projector owners are particular fans.

You can live without out it but without trying it you will never know. Given you must have spent mightily on your theater, I'd say the extra $100 for the "D" is a no brainer.

-Bill
ambesolman and pacman9270 like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #8602 of 9456 Old 04-27-2016, 02:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman9270 View Post
With this device/technology, you should see the difference when it is turned OFF, not ON. I know that makes no sense, but it does when you get used to the picture.
Now I am really confused!
MEY628 is offline  
post #8603 of 9456 Old 04-27-2016, 02:14 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,317
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked: 4332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEY628 View Post
Now I am really confused!
No, that's really good advice. When you have Darbee, turn it up to an excessive setting. Then back it off until the effect seems to disappear. Live with that for a while, then switch it on an off entirely and see what you think.

HiDef 35-40% is a popular set-and-forget setting for Darbee, but this is a matter of individual preferance and the gear you are using.

-Bill
pacman9270 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #8604 of 9456 Old 04-27-2016, 02:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
You can look at the Darbee reviews linked in the first posts of this thread.

When used properly Darbee is a subtle effect but almost everyone says a positive one. This is from many people who are skeptical about video enhancements. Unlike traditional sharpening techniques Darbee does not destroy fine detail.

Projector owners are particular fans.

You can live without out it but without trying it you will never know. Given you must have spent mightily on your theater, I'd say the extra $100 for the "D" is a no brainer.

-Bill
Thanks Bill. And yes you are correct. The $100 isn't really the issue. It's just if I would use it or not. And at this point saving even just $100 would earn some brownie points I lost with the wife over other things.
MEY628 is offline  
post #8605 of 9456 Old 04-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
No, that's really good advice. When you have Darbee, turn it up to an excessive setting. Then back it off until the effect seems to disappear. Live with that for a while, then switch it on an off entirely and see what you think.

HiDef 35-40% is a popular set-and-forget setting for Darbee, but this is a matter of individual preferance and the gear you are using.

-Bill
Oh I get what he was saying now. You see the difference in a negative way when off more than you notice a positive difference when on. I was a little slow on that one. Too much pounding of my head on hard objects lately i guess.
pacman9270 likes this.
MEY628 is offline  
post #8606 of 9456 Old 04-27-2016, 02:44 PM
Coyote Waits
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 27,235
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 2363
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEY628 View Post

Please help. I'm ready to get this thing here. Sub will be here Friday and seats hopefully next week.
For the extra $100 get the D. Read the reviews in the first post and either get the D or save the $100.

Now, about the 105D ...

My Components:
Denon X3400H, OPPO UDP-203 & BDP-93, Xfinity XG1-P, Vizio PQ, Roku 3 & Ultra 2018
Calibration Resources:
Customer's Reports -- Professional Calibrations
Calibrator's locations and tour areas.
htwaits is offline  
post #8607 of 9456 Old 04-28-2016, 08:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
For the extra $100 get the D. Read the reviews in the first post and either get the D or save the $100.

Now, about the 105D ...
Ok reviews read. I am ordering a 103D!!! Didn't realize I could run my direct tv thru it. So the sports I watch will look great.

This is probably considered a newbie question but something I never really found the true answer to. Are all HDMI cables created equal? Should I get any particular ones for going from Direct Tv to Oppo and Oppo to receiver? When we moved in there was already one going back to the projector so not really wanting to run a new one and I have no idea what type of cable it is.
MEY628 is offline  
post #8608 of 9456 Old 04-28-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pappaduke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Philly area
Posts: 1,291
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEY628 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
For the extra $100 get the D. Read the reviews in the first post and either get the D or save the $100.

Now, about the 105D ...
Ok reviews read. I am ordering a 103D!!! Didn't realize I could run my direct tv thru it. So the sports I watch will look great.

This is probably considered a newbie question but something I never really found the true answer to. Are all HDMI cables created equal? Should I get any particular ones for going from Direct Tv to Oppo and Oppo to receiver? When we moved in there was already one going back to the projector so not really wanting to run a new one and I have no idea what type of cable it is.
All HDMI cables are not created equal. That really comes into play if if its a long cable run. Then there are the various speeds they are rated at.
pappaduke is online now  
post #8609 of 9456 Old 04-28-2016, 09:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24,317
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked: 4332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEY628 View Post
Ok reviews read. I am ordering a 103D!!! Didn't realize I could run my direct tv thru it. So the sports I watch will look great.

This is probably considered a newbie question but something I never really found the true answer to. Are all HDMI cables created equal? Should I get any particular ones for going from Direct Tv to Oppo and Oppo to receiver? When we moved in there was already one going back to the projector so not really wanting to run a new one and I have no idea what type of cable it is.
Forum opinion is generally against buying expensive or boutique cables. Sponsors Monoprice and BlueJeans are often recommended economical sources.

For short runs (6ft is standard) it's likely that anything will work. The longer the run the more care you have to take. For very long cables Monoprices "Redmere" line has some active switching which is often recommended.

We have an HDMI forum here if you want more in-depth advice.

-Bill
pacman9270 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #8610 of 9456 Old 04-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Forum opinion is generally against buying expensive or boutique cables. Sponsors Monoprice and BlueJeans are often recommended economical sources.

For short runs (6ft is standard) it's likely that anything will work. The longer the run the more care you have to take. For very long cables Monoprices "Redmere" line has some active switching which is often recommended.

We have an HDMI forum here if you want more in-depth advice.

-Bill
Monoprice is where I normally order from. I was looking there and even they have so many options. I will read more on the HDMI forum. After I posted the question I noticed Oppo sells cables and I was going to order theirs figuring couldn't go wrong there and they were inexpensive. But then I realized I still don't know exactly where I am putting the equipment and how long I need. I better get busy figuring all that out.
MEY628 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off