Official Sony BDP-S1200, BDP-S3200, BDP-S4200, BDP-S5200, BDP-S6200, and BDP-S7200 - Page 118 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2127Likes

post #3511 of 3730 Old 09-18-2015, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did connect the player to a HDTV and it was the same problem with mkv files. The playback was jiddery. When I connect to my CRT projector i first plug the player into a moome card (DA converter) so I`m not sure that the player needs to convert any frames.

It looks like the TV I used to test the player supports 24 fps. Does the TV automaticly change to 24 fps or do I need to do the changes manually. I connect the player directly in to the TV through the HDMI.

http://www.tv-manual.com/lg-42lh3010-lcd.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3730 Old 09-18-2015, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murillo View Post
I did connect the player to a HDTV and it was the same problem with mkv files. The playback was jiddery. When I connect to my CRT projector i first plug the player into a moome card (DA converter) so I`m not sure that the player needs to convert any frames.

It looks like the TV I used to test the player supports 24 fps. Does the TV automaticly change to 24 fps or do I need to do the changes manually. I connect the player directly in to the TV through the HDMI.

http://www.tv-manual.com/lg-42lh3010-lcd.html
No CRT television supports 24 fps... All domestic NTSC CRT sets only work at 60Hz or 60 fps.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #3513 of 3730 Old 09-18-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
No CRT television supports 24 fps... All domestic NTSC CRT sets only work at 60Hz or 60 fps.
Mind explaining the whole 24 fps vs. 60 fps thing?

And when I would want which one and how to make the blu-ray player and TV show each one, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3514 of 3730 Old 09-18-2015, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
That link took me to an old LG 42LH3010 LCD TV 42 inch. I say old because it uses 210 watts. That's quite a heater. But it does indicate support for 24fps.
post #3515 of 3730 Old 09-18-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post

And when I would want which one and how to make the blu-ray player and TV show each one, etc?
Google is your friend:https://www.google.com/search?num=30....0.vIHGkBqB0eA

For most movies, 24fps is smoother, especially for moving scenes. I would go to Amazon, select a Movie Trailer (they are free to watch) and, since it takes the Sony a minute or more to get full speed, compare the picture over the life of the trailer. A movie, like Fury, is a good test. The current movie showing is Furious 7. That starts bad and gets better.

I would want 24fps for a movie. I would prefer 60fps for a video or TV show. Set the player to auto. It will then send a video equal to the ability of the display.

Last edited by JoeKustra; 09-18-2015 at 04:35 PM.
post #3516 of 3730 Old 09-19-2015, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

For most movies, 24fps is smoother, especially for moving scenes. I would go to Amazon, select a Movie Trailer (they are free to watch) and, since it takes the Sony a minute or more to get full speed, compare the picture over the life of the trailer. A movie, like Fury, is a good test. The current movie showing is Furious 7. That starts bad and gets better.

I would want 24fps for a movie. I would prefer 60fps for a video or TV show. Set the player to auto. It will then send a video equal to the ability of the display.
Hello again. I didn´t mention it before but i live Europe and we use PAL here. Don`t know if that has anything to do with it. My crt projector accepts the refresh rate i set on my source device. When I watched dvd:s I had two different settings 72 hz for ntsc movies and 75 hz for pal movies. Latley I was a bit lazy and made just one setting for both and set it to 60 hz. The playback could sometimes cause an occasional small jidder, but nothing compared to this.

I have tried all the suggestions and still the same, mkv files don´t play so well on the sony. Maybe the player itself don´t support mkv files fully. To bad beacuse I really liked the sound and image it displayed (regardless of the jiddery playback).
post #3517 of 3730 Old 09-19-2015, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hello again. I didn´t mention it before but i live Europe and we use PAL here.
I have no experience with PAL or 50Hz equipment. Perhaps someone closer to you can help.
post #3518 of 3730 Old 09-19-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 1174
Quote:

So if it is set player to auto?

Does the TV (Sony 4K) know if it is a movie or video or TV - and then set it to either 24 or 60 as appropriate?
post #3519 of 3730 Old 09-19-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So if it is set player to auto?

Does the TV (Sony 4K) know if it is a movie or video or TV - and then set it to either 24 or 60 as appropriate?
I don't think a TV sets the frame rate. But I'm not an expert in this area. I use Auto for everything unless I find a reason to change it. That's why I hang around so many threads: to learn and sometimes to help.
post #3520 of 3730 Old 09-19-2015, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I have tried all the suggestions and still the same, mkv files don´t play so well on the sony. Maybe the player itself don´t support mkv files fully. To bad beacuse I really liked the sound and image it displayed (regardless of the jiddery playback).
S7200 should play mkv files perfectly, regardless of their size. I don't think that your issue is player related. Do you have this problem with a certain mkv, or with any mkv files? Try several files.
My S6200 does not have any issue with mkvs, and I played even 35 GB mkvs. And 6200 and 7200 are the same player.
post #3521 of 3730 Old 09-20-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliamike View Post
Can anyone tell me if it's possible to attach a USB hard drive to the Sony 7200 to play home movies that I have stored on it?
Of course! However, I don't know if the player will recognize hard drives larger than 2 TB. I use 500 GB and 1 TB hard drives and the player recognizes them instantly.
post #3522 of 3730 Old 09-21-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:

Filmed movies are at 24fps... CRT televisions refresh at 60 fps (same cycle as electricity). You cannot convert 24fps to 60 fps evenly, so the TV must convert the 24 fps signal to 60 fps by adding extra frames into the stream, which causes the jerkiness.

Television shows are usually videotaped using 60 fps scan rates so it appears smoother than film.

Modern displays can display different scan rates to make the image appear smoother. A film at 24 fps can be upconverted to 48 or even 72 fps or higher to get a smooth motion. A number of sets will scan at 120 or 240 fps as this is a common denominator for 24 or 60 fps.
JoeKustra likes this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #3523 of 3730 Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

Joe, I think that the consensus of most video reviewers is that the improvement offered by using the 24fps mode for playing Blu-ray discs is quite subtle. Of course we are talking about film based movies on Blu-ray when using both a display and BD player that are 24fps capable, after making sure that the 24fps mode has been activated in the player's video set-up menu.

I have a Panasonic BDT-110 Blu-ray player (along with 3 Sony S5200 BD players in various rooms) that I used back in 2012 to check out 24fps playback with a top of the line panny plasma. The difference compared to regular 60fps playback was quite small.
(and I agree with the reviewers who have noted that even while making sure a Blu-ray is sourced from film, not video, sometimes the 60fps mode will still look better than the 24fps mode, for whatever technical reasons.)

In promoting the BDT110, while Panasonic, on the cover of the owner's manual, listed a bunch of features included with the player like 2D to 3D conversion, SKYPE Video capability, optical digital audio output, 2 USBs, and several other features, nowhere was the player's 24fps capability even mentioned until page 28 of the manual, so obviously Panasonic didn't regard the inclusion of a 24fps mode with its player as any big deal. A number of reviews of the BDT110 (which all gave the unit's video performance very high marks) never even mentioned that it included a 24fps mode. (the 24fps feature just doesn't seem to be much of a big deal to most video reviewers, either)

I actually stopped using the panny's 24fps mode shortly after testing it. You see, the BDT110 has analog audio outputs which I needed to be able to listen to Blu-rays with a pair of Sony wireless headphones. But what really pissed me off about the BDT110's 24fps feature is that when that mode is turned on in the player's menu, the analog video and analog stereo audio outs are turned off, which made my headphones useless for listening to Blu-rays at night when my wife is sleeping. Of course, in recent times, analog outputs have been pretty much eliminated from any new BD players on the market.

Long story short, since 2012, I've never bothered with 24fps again.

Mike Boone
JoeKustra likes this.
post #3524 of 3730 Old 09-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb75 View Post
Joe, I think that the consensus of most video reviewers is that the improvement offered by using the 24fps mode for playing Blu-ray discs is quite subtle. ...

Quote:
Long story short, since 2012, I've never bothered with 24fps again.

Mike Boone
Pity, but that's your problem.

I find that 48 Hz. is the ideal solution to the jerkiness of 50/60 Hz. frame rate. It smooths everything; I couldn't live without it for 24 FPS film-based material.
post #3525 of 3730 Old 09-22-2015, 07:02 PM

Thumbs up One Technology Gives A Far Greater Improvement In Motion Quality Than 24fps Modes Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

I find that 48 Hz. is the ideal solution to the jerkiness of 50/60 Hz. frame rate. It smooths everything; I couldn't live without it for 24 FPS film-based material.
Actually, Iain, my problem was solved by turning off the 24fps mode, which then restored the analog audio mode that automatically shuts off whenever the 24fps feature on the Panny BDT110 BD player is turned on. That allows me to use the wireless headphones, which require an analog signal, while still enjoying the stunning picture of the Panasonic P58VT25 plasma, which was voted by all 30 professionals at a Value Electronics Flat Panel Shoot-Out as their unanimous choice in being the best display that any manufacturer put forward. (This terrific plasma simply blew away all of the LCD/LED back-lit displays, ESPECIALLY IN MOTION RESOLUTION.)

Anyway, while you could be especially sensitive to the meager improvement achieved by using a 24fps mode, most reviewers and manufacturers seem to think that it makes very little difference. And if it did make a major difference, you can be quite sure that the 24fps feature would be mentioned prominently in both HDTV and Blu-ray player ads. With a lot of 24fps capable TVs and BD players you have to get far into the owner's manual before you can even confirm that your equipment includes that feature. Even at audio/video specialty stores you rarely hear professional salesmen/installers mentioning 24fps modes.

Panasonic made a point of highlighting 9 features that its BDT110 BD player has, without even bothering to mention that it also features 24fps. That's a strong indication that Panasonic feels that a 24fps mode does not contribute much toward excellent picture quality. And most of the reviewers who praised the BDT110 for having excellent picture quality, (it certainly does) made absolutely no mention of using its 24fps capability. I wonder what that means. (plus, I've read that with film based material, sometimes using a 24fps mode even has a negative effect on PQ)

But actually, Iain, if you are that concerned about images on your display having smooth motion, you should be using a high quality plasma, because that will put to shame any LCD/LED-back-lit TV in that area. And since plasmas are naturally great in the motion area they don't have to resort to using gimmicks like frame interpolation which cause the Soap Opera Effect while trying to smooth out an LCD/LED's motion performance. Also, LCD/LED-back-lit displays really fall down when it comes to motion resolution. I remember, a few years ago, Home Theater Magazine compared a bunch of LCD/LED-back-lit 1080p displays, along with some 1080p plasma displays, to find out how well the TVs maintained resolution with moving images. All of the LCDs lost half, or more, of their resolution, while a Panny plasma maintained full resolution. Consumer Reports also pointed out that the plasmas from the Panasonic series that included my own, displayed the best motion resolution of any of the hundreds of flat panel displays that its technicians had tested, over the years.

So I'm just saying Iain, that a guy watching a good plasma who doesn't use a 24fps mode, will still be seeing better motion performance than someone who uses 24fps with a LCD/LED-back-lit display, because that 24fps mode doesn't come close to making up for the inherent shortcomings that LCD/LED-back-lit technology reveals in trying to deal with fast pans or very fast moving images. But, having said that, we still greatly enjoy watching movies on our 70 and 80 inch LCD/LED-back-lit displays. If reasonably priced 70 and 80 inch plasmas had ever been available, maybe we would have bought them. However, my wife and I still get a lot of enjoyment out of watching large scale movies on either of our LCDs, (especially on the 80 inch) because with many such movies, larger image size greatly outweighs the motion advantage that is found with our 58 and 60 inch plasmas. So while LCD/LED technology might not be the best in a couple performance areas, I don't want to knock it, because I can easily understand why so many people derive great enjoyment from watching TVs that use LCD/LED-back-lit technology. A lot of folks simply aren't critics when it comes to things like motion performance, and when I'm at a friend or family member's house, there's no way that I want to rain on someone's parade by pointing out some area where I think that his or her TV is falling short in performance.

I guess, Iain, that people like us, on forums like AVS, are simply just a lot different than 95% of TV watchers who just aren't prone to being critical of various aspects of picture quality, while they are totally wrapped up in a movie.

Have a terrific evening.

Mike Boone

Last edited by sarahb75; 09-22-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: misspellings
post #3526 of 3730 Old 09-23-2015, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

But actually, Iain, if you are that concerned about images on your display having smooth motion, you should be using a high quality plasma, because that will put to shame any LCD/LED-back-lit TV in that area. ...

Have a terrific evening.

Mike Boone

Here's my kit in toto:
http://www.sa-cd.net/showuser/6988

Note the primary and secondary monitors used.

It's quite obvious from your post, that you haven't seen the latest Samsung LED displays. In it's own way, the secondary monitor is as equal in quality as the GT50 sitting next to it. Both monitors are well calibrated.

Last edited by Iain-; 09-23-2015 at 06:15 AM. Reason: add last paragraph
post #3527 of 3730 Old 09-23-2015, 09:06 AM

Samsung Has Some Terrific TVs, But Has A History Of Using Tricky Names For Some TVs

Quote:

Here's my kit in toto:
http://www.sa-cd.net/showuser/6988

Note the primary and secondary monitors used.

It's quite obvious from your post, that you haven't seen the latest Samsung LED displays. In it's own way, the secondary monitor is as equal in quality as the GT50 sitting next to it. Both monitors are well calibrated.
First off, those Samsungs aren't LED displays, but are just a type of LCD flat panel TV that uses LEDs to provide the backlighting needed to illuminate its LCD panel. LCD TVs that use LEDs for their backlights, began appearing about 8 years ago, and would eventually replace the older type of LCD TVs, which used Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps, (CCFLs) as backlights, to illuminate their LCD panels.

Literally, there are no LED TVs, the fact of which, unfortunately, still did not stop Samsung from inventing the deceptive term "LED TV", as an effective marketing ploy that has managed to bamboozle a lot of folks into believing that so called LED TVs are some really new type of TV, instead of being what they are, LCD TVs that just use a newer, more efficient type of light engine to light their LCD panels. (Now the OLED TVs that LG sells REALLY ARE an example of a TV technology that's RADICALLY DIFFERENT from the older LCD technology that all so called LCD/LED-backlit TVs have as the foundation for their performance. In fact, OLED TVs are so different that they don't even need backlighting, because the surfaces of their screens are self-illuminating, which accounts for their superior black levels compared to LCD/LED-back-lit TVs, as well as their wider viewing angles compared to that other type of display. Plasmas, BTW, also had self-illuminating screen surfaces.)

Anyhow, Iain, just to be technical, every expert on video imaging (including that ultimate video guru, Joe Kane, who developed the very standards that calibrators, as well as reviewers, use to get the absolute best out of high-performance TVs) will tell you that Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas well outperformed today's state-of-the-art LCD/LED back-lit TVs in the area of motion, especially because LCD/LED-backlit technology still hasn't managed to overcome the substantial loss in resolution that any LCD based TV experiences with motion, while the better plasmas simply didn't show a significant loss in detail with the same scenes containing motion.

But since plasma TVs are NO LONGER MADE, it's really only academic to discuss performance comparisons by using models that represent that obsolete technology. (Did say that I was being technical)

And honestly, Iain, I think that a number of Samsung's LCD/LED-back-lit TVs have absolutely terrific pictures.

My wife and I have 2 cars, a good condition 2005 Subaru Forester, and a practically showroom condition 2011 Toyota Camry, with only 40,000 miles on it. But since everything we need is within a half mile walk from here, if my wife wouldn't leave or kill me for doing it, I think that I'd gladly trade away both cars for Samsung's 88 inch LCD/LED-back-lit UHD TV. Yeah, I know, it uses Quantum Dots. (I guess Samsung calls that display one of its SUHD TV models.) I crave big screens, but don't want to go the projector route.

Anyway, we don't happen to have 20 thousand plus dollars laying around anywhere, so that spectacular Samsung 88 inch display will just have to remain as one of my dreams, along with ones like driving a brand new Vette.

Have a good day, Sir.

Mike Boone
post #3528 of 3730 Old 09-23-2015, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2376 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
Quote:

In the old days of broadcast television US stations had film chains with two 16mm projectors that had 5 blade shutters. Do the math.
post #3529 of 3730 Old 09-23-2015, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6055
Im sorry, but running my VT50 in 96hz mode with a 24p input is noticeably better than 60hz. To each their own, but the "subtle" claim is just not true with a display that has a true 24hz mode AND handles it correctly.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #3530 of 3730 Old 09-23-2015, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have an advanced-level question about the conversion modes "auto" and "video".

I just got an s3200(all-region modded) and tested it with a few of my DVDs to examine it's deinterlacing abilities. A couple of them were deinterlaced really poorly (jaggies and combing). But there was one DVD(which had the worst combing on a certain DVD Player I recently tested) that was deinterlaced with near perfection on the s3200; Much to my surprise!
I tried all of the DVDs in both "Auto" conversion-mode and "Video" conversion mode. "Auto" mode is said to decide on it's own whether or not the material is video or film based and then use the appropriate conversion. There's no forced film-mode. As far as I know none of the Sony Blu-Ray Players from 2014 or 2015 have a forced Film-based conversion mode.

My question is this: Is it possible that when using "Auto" conversion-mode, the player is misjudging some of the DVDs and using Video mode when it should be using it's Film mode instead, where Film mode would actually do better deinterlacing on said DVDs? Also, why is there no forced film-conversion mode on these players? Are there players, even if from another company, that have forced film-based conversion?

Thanks for any help. I'm really interested in getting the best picture quality within my budget.

Last edited by JaredLuce; 09-23-2015 at 07:04 PM.
post #3531 of 3730 Old 09-23-2015, 11:17 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Im sorry, but running my VT50 in 96hz mode with a 24p input is noticeably better than 60hz. To each their own, but the "subtle" claim is just not true with a display that has a true 24hz mode AND handles it correctly.
That's excellent, gadgtfreek. So would you say that your set-up handles motion better than the latest Samsung LCD/LED displays that our fellow member, Iain, was talking about?

I hope that you have seen at least 1 display in Samsung's JS9500 series, because even to an owner of a couple high performance plasmas, like myself, the Samsungs in the 9500 series do look pretty damned good. (and even manage to accomplish that without having to make their pictures suffer from the Soap Opera Effect)

Mike Boone

Last edited by sarahb75; 09-24-2015 at 02:00 AM. Reason: incomplete sentence
post #3532 of 3730 Old 09-24-2015, 06:40 AM

I have not yet. I do know some LCD brands that do not sepearte dejudder and deblur can really muck up the PQ to my eyes. I prefer the look of proper 24hz processing (72hz, 96hz, etc...) but when you cannot cut of deblur (frame interpolation) it looks too fake for me. With the plasmas the 24hz mode was it's on setting and I can leave Motion Smoother (deblur) off.

IIRC, the Samsungs allow you to adjust deblur and dejudder seperately but LG did not. Not sure if any of that has changed. I think some times when folks are unhappy with 24hz it is because of frame interpolation.

I have watched some 1080p/60hz stuff on youtube, man that is funky looking but it is sharp. Will be an odd time if we ever move from 1080p/24 to 1080p/60 native. I was not able to see the Hobbit in 1080p/60 which was filmed that way intentionally.

post #3533 of 3730 Old 09-24-2015, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
I have not yet. I do know some LCD brands that do not sepearte dejudder and deblur can really muck up the PQ to my eyes. I prefer the look of proper 24hz processing (72hz, 96hz, etc...) but when you cannot cut of deblur (frame interpolation) it looks too fake for me. With the plasmas the 24hz mode was it's on setting and I can leave Motion Smoother (deblur) off.

IIRC, the Samsungs allow you to adjust deblur and dejudder seperately but LG did not. Not sure if any of that has changed. I think some times when folks are unhappy with 24hz it is because of frame interpolation.

I have watched some 1080p/60hz stuff on youtube, man that is funky looking but it is sharp. Will be an odd time if we ever move from 1080p/24 to 1080p/60 native. I was not able to see the Hobbit in 1080p/60 which was filmed that way intentionally.
It takes a lot tweaking on 4k LED TV's on motion, But my AX-800 does good job on motion when watch football game I can see the ball rotating But my brothers Samsung 9500 the ball went across the screen like streak of lighting.
post #3534 of 3730 Old 09-24-2015, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by andipavel View Post
S7200 should play mkv files perfectly, regardless of their size. I don't think that your issue is player related. Do you have this problem with a certain mkv, or with any mkv files? Try several files.
My S6200 does not have any issue with mkvs, and I played even 35 GB mkvs. And 6200 and 7200 are the same player.
Thats a bit of a broad sweeping statement isnt it? MKVs are merely a container for something else. These Sony players are nortoriously tempermental to certain MKV files, particularly with high resolution audio formats, higher bit rates and being served from less than ideal DLNA servers.
post #3535 of 3730 Old 09-25-2015, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Thats a bit of a broad sweeping statement isnt it? MKVs are merely a container for something else. These Sony players are nortoriously tempermental to certain MKV files, particularly with high resolution audio formats, higher bit rates and being served from less than ideal DLNA servers.
He was worried that the player doesnt play large size mkvs from external hard drive. I don't recall S6200 being temperamental to certain mkvs (you kind of contradict yourself here, once you say that mkv is just a container, than you say that Sony players are temperamental to mkvs), and DLNA is not of concern in his case as he, I repeat, was referring to playing mkvs from external HDD attached directly to the player.
post #3536 of 3730 Old 09-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
That's excellent, gadgtfreek. So would you say that your set-up handles motion better than the latest Samsung LCD/LED displays that our fellow member, Iain, was talking about?

I hope that you have seen at least 1 display in Samsung's JS9500 series, because even to an owner of a couple high performance plasmas, like myself, the Samsungs in the 9500 series do look pretty damned good. (and even manage to accomplish that without having to make their pictures suffer from the Soap Opera Effect)

Mike Boone
I almost bought a VT50 at the time because of it's 96 Hz frame rate mode, but decided to go with the GT50 which is the next model down from it, instead. 96 Hz. would be overkill, as even the cinema standard is 72 Hz. GT50's 48 Hz. mode is fine for this.

BTW, you're the one who brought up the LED motion issue. I didn't mention anything of it. Have a go at this thread as to causes and resolution of it:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=263639

The only reason I purchased my Samsung LED display is for a simple utilitarian issue that would be considered abuse of the GT50. Little did I know at the time, but I got much more out of it than I thought I would.

Last edited by Iain-; 09-25-2015 at 09:42 AM. Reason: add last paragraph
post #3537 of 3730 Old 09-26-2015, 08:48 AM

Do you have the UK model. If so your 48hz mode's are fine IIRC, the US version has tons and tons of flicker on 48hz mode, it is unusable.

I love the 96hz film like look. Another bonus it he MLL is lower in 96hz mode so it looks real good in a dark room.

post #3538 of 3730 Old 09-26-2015, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After several months of issues I have finally gotten a 4k TV (Sony XBR 950b) that doesn't have any panel (Samsung 8550) or light bleed issues (Sony XBR 900c) so it is time to get down to business and work on the fine details, so I have a couple questions for you guys;

1. Will I see noticeable increase in picture quality by changing my blu ray player from Xbox 1 to the Sony BDP6500 or 7200?

Blu Rays from the Xbox 1 look amazing...but if the designated player will be a significant improvement I am all for the purchase.

2. As both of those are "upscaling" platforms, will they offer anything above, or in addition to the upscaling that the XBR 950b does?

3. Is there anything in the BDP7200 that justifies the increase in price difference over the 6500? The 6500 is a year newer...but the 7200 still has a higher price point.

4. Lastly, I am using a Marantz 5007 AV receiver that is only HDMI 1.4 compliant. Will the fact that this unit is not HDMI 2.0 noticeably limit or hinder my picture with blu rays and upscaling?
post #3539 of 3730 Old 09-28-2015, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sony S5200 won't play files that S5100 plays

I've had my S5100 for several years and last year bought an S5200 for our 2nd TV. The only major differences I thought were lack of a rear USB port and no display and smaller size on the S5200.

I've been running into quite a few files though that won't play on the S5200 but they do play perfectly on the S5100. The video stops, jumps around for a few seconds, audio is just as choppy and out of sync, until it finally stops after no more than a minute and either jumps to the next video or locks up the player. These are mostly .avi files that have the problem, they definitely are XviD and not Divx, and I really don't see anything that should be an issue for the S5200. I've even tried using 4CC Changer to reset it again to Xvid but that didn't help at all. This is the output from MediaInfo:

General
Complete name : C:\Movies\D&P.S12E05E06.DVD.XviD.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile : OpenDML
File size : 1.18 GiB
Duration : 1h 41mn
Overall bit rate : 1 656 Kbps
Writing application : Lavf54.63.104

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 1 195 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.115
Stream size : 869 MiB (72%)
Writing library : XviD 64

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID : 00001000-0000-0020-8000-00AA00389B71
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 326 MiB (27%)
Interleave, duration : 32 ms (0.80 video frame)

Can anyone tell me what exactly in the above is a problem for the S5200 but not for the S5100? I use Serviio from both WinXP and Windows 7 x64 and same thing happens on the S5200 on both PCs. Neither DVD player is modded in anyway, just the basic models.

I'm more worried now about when I need to replace my S5100 if I'm going to run into problems like this constantly with newer Sony players that apparently must have some internal differences. I've loved my S5100 from day 1, but maybe I should start considering another brand when it needs replacing.
post #3540 of 3730 Old 10-15-2015, 09:44 AM

Any of you using a 7200/6200 with a 4K display? I just ordered a 2015 XBR and was thinking since it has the new X1 processor it would probably be best to send out 1080p/24 and let the display do it's scaling to 4k.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-S6200 , bdps720 , sony bdp s7200 , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page