Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 537Likes

post #2071 of 2127 Old 07-05-2017, 01:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked: 8309
Quote:
Originally Posted by perzon57 View Post
Thanks for the quick replay On the 95 it always counted down and that's how I like it.
Setup > Video Setup > Display Options > OSD Mode = REMAINING will set counting down to be the default in the 105D.

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 07-11-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2127 Old 07-05-2017, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks!
post #2073 of 2127 Old 07-08-2017, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 293
A few days ago, I pulled the USB stick from my 105D, not remembering its function. I was still able to bring the unit onto WiFi. But last night when tried to bring up Netflix, I got the message the 105D was not connected to that net. I inserted the USB stick and up came Netflix and the Berlin Philharmonic. I really don't unstand what the USB stick does.

db
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2127 Old 07-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
A few days ago, I pulled the USB stick from my 105D, not remembering its function. I was still able to bring the unit onto WiFi. But last night when tried to bring up Netflix, I got the message the 105D was not connected to that net. I inserted the USB stick and up came Netflix and the Berlin Philharmonic. I really don't unstand what the USB stick does.

db
If you are talking about the Wifi dongle that comes with the player and plugs into a USB jack, it is the Wifi transmitter/receiver.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #2075 of 2127 Old 07-09-2017, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
If you are talking about the Wifi dongle that comes with the player and plugs into a USB jack, it is the Wifi transmitter/receiver.
Thanks, Bob. That's what I meant. I may be confused about the order of events. I suspect I lost connection to WiFi when I pulled the dongle, but didn't notice it until I tried to bring up Netflix and Berlin Philharmonic.

db
post #2076 of 2127 Old 07-11-2017, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yesterday for the first time my 105D stopped working. It froze and its screen went very dim. First noticed a problem after I chose optical input and the oppo wouldn't output the incoming sound. Then the remote stopped working but I couldn't even manually eject the cd inside.

After turning it off and unplugging was able to manually open the tray after turning on again. Unplugged it overnight but the problems remain - can't get it to play through any input.

Hoping it's a software issue that can be sorted. Can anyone offer any suggestions please?
post #2077 of 2127 Old 07-11-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Call or email Oppo. That will give you the best result.
pibroch likes this.

post #2078 of 2127 Old 07-11-2017, 05:27 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pibroch View Post
Yesterday for the first time my 105D stopped working. It froze and its screen went very dim. First noticed a problem after I chose optical input and the oppo wouldn't output the incoming sound. Then the remote stopped working but I couldn't even manually eject the cd inside.

After turning it off and unplugging was able to manually open the tray after turning on again. Unplugged it overnight but the problems remain - can't get it to play through any input.

Hoping it's a software issue that can be sorted. Can anyone offer any suggestions please?
This sounds like a power supply problem, which would mean the player needs service. OPPO offers reasonably priced flat rate service for players out of Warranty.

Before going that route there are a few things to try. First replace the batteries in the remote. Be sure to put in the new batteries the right way around.

Next unplug the player and disconnect everything else from it, including the Wifi dongle and any Ethernet connection.

While still unplugged, press and hold the Power button on the Front Panel for a few seconds to discharge any residual power.

Now plug in -- leaving everything else disconnected -- and power up using the Front Panel. Presuming that works, put in a CD and set it playing -- again, using the Front Panel. If that appears to work, Stop and Eject the CD. With the Tray still Open, press and hold the Enter button on the Remote for a few seconds. If the player is sensing the Remote a message should come up in the Front Panel saying which Remote Code (1, 2 or 3) the player is receiving. If you get that, try using the Remote to close the Tray and power cycle the player.

If you can not get the Remote to function this way, even with fresh batteries, then the player will need service.

If you CAN get the Remote to function, put in a CD and start it playing -- still with everything disconnected -- and see if you get audio from the Headphones jack. If not, check that the Volume is turned up in the 105D (buttons at top of Remote) and that you haven't Muted the output of the 105D.

If you can not get the disc to play, or can not get Headphones audio despite these checks, then the player will need service.

If you CAN get the CD playing, then start reconnecting the other things back, one at a time. Start with the HDMI to the Display, so you can see what's going on. It is possible you have a faulty cable or a faulty device at the other end of the cable which is drawing power and screwing up the player. So reconnect one thing at a time looking for the culprit.
--Bob

post #2079 of 2127 Old 07-11-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Call or email Oppo. That will give you the best result.
Just discovered that my 105D's remote no longer operates my 83! Contacted oppo's Australian support (Interdyn) who suggested taking batteries out of 105 remote / putting it in another room and leaving 105D unplugged for hours before trying again with the 83's remote. If that gets the 105D main unit working again then just buy a new 105D remote. Fingers crossed - will report back with result.
post #2080 of 2127 Old 07-11-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
This sounds like a power supply problem, which would mean the player needs service. OPPO offers reasonably priced flat rate service for players out of Warranty.

Before going that route there are a few things to try. First replace the batteries in the remote. Be sure to put in the new batteries the right way around.

Next unplug the player and disconnect everything else from it, including the Wifi dongle and any Ethernet connection.

While still unplugged, press and hold the Power button on the Front Panel for a few seconds to discharge any residual power.

Now plug in -- leaving everything else disconnected -- and power up using the Front Panel. Presuming that works, put in a CD and set it playing -- again, using the Front Panel. If that appears to work, Stop and Eject the CD. With the Tray still Open, press and hold the Enter button on the Remote for a few seconds. If the player is sensing the Remote a message should come up in the Front Panel saying which Remote Code (1, 2 or 3) the player is receiving. If you get that, try using the Remote to close the Tray and power cycle the player.

If you can not get the Remote to function this way, even with fresh batteries, then the player will need service.

If you CAN get the Remote to function, put in a CD and start it playing -- still with everything disconnected -- and see if you get audio from the Headphones jack. If not, check that the Volume is turned up in the 105D (buttons at top of Remote) and that you haven't Muted the output of the 105D.

If you can not get the disc to play, or can not get Headphones audio despite these checks, then the player will need service.

If you CAN get the CD playing, then start reconnecting the other things back, one at a time. Start with the HDMI to the Display, so you can see what's going on. It is possible you have a faulty cable or a faulty device at the other end of the cable which is drawing power and screwing up the player. So reconnect one thing at a time looking for the culprit.
--Bob
Thanks so much Bob! With the new info about the remote, see my previous post (after your reply which I only noticed after I posted) do you think I should just try Interdyn's suggestion first?
P.S. 105 remote has brand new batteries.

Last edited by pibroch; 07-11-2017 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Left out ps
post #2081 of 2127 Old 07-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Thanks so much Bob! With the new info about the remote, see my previous post (after your reply which I only noticed after I posted) do you think I should just try Interdyn's suggestion first?
Sure, remotes can fail like any other piece of electronics. But if THAT'S what's going on you should be able to operate the OPPO from the Front Panel buttons. If you can get Home Menu to display, you can even use the buttons on the Front Panel to get into Setup and do a full Reset on the player.

The most common reason for remotes to fail is batteries of course. If you've already replaced the batteries once, try another pair and make sure they are both inserted the correct way around.

By the way, the remote for the 83 will also operate the common functions on the 105D (presuming its Remote Code slider switch in the battery compartment is set to match what the 105D is expecting). That would be another way to test whether the problem is simply in the Remote itself for the 105D.
--Bob
pibroch likes this.

post #2082 of 2127 Old 07-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Sure, remotes can fail like any other piece of electronics. But if THAT'S what's going on you should be able to operate the OPPO from the Front Panel buttons. If you can get Home Menu to display, you can even use the buttons on the Front Panel to get into Setup and do a full Reset on the player.

The most common reason for remotes to fail is batteries of course. If you've already replaced the batteries once, try another pair and make sure they are both inserted the correct way around.

By the way, the remote for the 83 will also operate the common functions on the 105D (presuming its Remote Code slider switch in the battery compartment is set to match what the 105D is expecting). That would be another way to test whether the problem is simply in the Remote itself for the 105D.
--Bob
Am leaving the 105 powered off for next so many hours and plan to try a full reset as you suggested. If all then goes well with the basic functions using the 83's remote I intend to ditch the 105 remote and buy a new one, just in case it has been badly screwing with the main unit.

Will report back.

Thanks again Bob.
post #2083 of 2127 Old 07-12-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Am leaving the 105 powered off for next so many hours and plan to try a full reset as you suggested. If all then goes well with the basic functions using the 83's remote I intend to ditch the 105 remote and buy a new one, just in case it has been badly screwing with the main unit.

Will report back.

Thanks again Bob.
Success! Just powered it up and it will now output sound from tv via optical input. The front panel was still dim and I discovered in the setup menu it was set to "dim". After going through all the settings only found one other anomaly: the video output resolution was set to 720p. The remote from the 83 is working perfectly and has everything our household needs so won't bother buying another 105D remote.

The setup menu won't let me select "Reset Factory Defaults" but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Thanks again Bob and JazzGuyy.

Last edited by pibroch; 07-12-2017 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Typo
post #2084 of 2127 Old 07-12-2017, 04:39 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4642 Post(s)
Liked: 4492
Quote:
The setup menu won't let me select "Reset Factory Defaults" but that doesn't seem to be an issue.
Eject the tray first and make sure no other content is playing.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #2085 of 2127 Old 07-12-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Eject the tray first and make sure no other content is playing.

-Bill
Opened and closed the empty tray and tried with both tray opened and tray closed. "Restore Factory Defaults" remains in feint type and is non selectable. Nothing else was playing. Thanks anyway.
post #2086 of 2127 Old 07-12-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Opened and closed the empty tray and tried with both tray opened and tray closed. "Restore Factory Defaults" remains in feint type and is non selectable. Nothing else was playing. Thanks anyway.
Ahhhh! Just changed the source from optical in to blu ray player and that allowed selection of reset to factory defaults.

Thanks again Bill 😊
post #2087 of 2127 Old 08-24-2017, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please vote here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Liv...862466#M125907

...to have SPOTIFY player in our Oppo 105!!!
Spotify is going to turn HD (like Tidal) and having it directly decoded by our players would be excellent! (with remote control via our smartphones... like I actually do with my PS4... but don't want to switch on always my ps4 to play music via my Oppo 105...)
Without our (many) direct requests within their Spotify community... nope

Thanks!
post #2088 of 2127 Old 08-24-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeardi View Post
Please vote here:
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Liv...862466#M125907

...to have SPOTIFY player in our Oppo 105!!!
Spotify is going to turn HD (like Tidal) and having it directly decoded by our players would be excellent! (with remote control via our smartphones... like I actually do with my PS4... but don't want to switch on always my ps4 to play music via my Oppo 105...)
Without our (many) direct requests within their Spotify community... nope

Thanks!
Lossy music in an audiophile player?.. But why?
post #2089 of 2127 Old 08-26-2017, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red face Connecting audio to older Pioneer PDP 5010

This is probably a stupid question but here goes....How do I take advantage of my BDP-105 audio capabilities when connecting it to my Pioneeer PDP-5010 and use broadcast TV as the source from the antenna input to the TV? Right now I have the optical input coming from the TV into the Oppo and then I have the analog audio out going to my NAD M25 amp. I use the Oppo as the preamp and I do not have a receiver, just the amp. To get sound when watching the antenna source from the TV, I then select the optical input. The optical capability is limited and I was hoping that I could use the HDMI to move the from the TV back to the Oppo but I don't see how that works since the Pioneer is HDMI v1.3. Sometime in the next month I will be purchasing an LG OLED TV and an Oppo 205 and was wondering if there is a better way to set up the 3 devices (Oppo, LG TV and NAD M25 amp). Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
post #2090 of 2127 Old 08-26-2017, 04:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The only other way would be to use HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel), which is Audio coming back into the OPPO from the TV on the HDMI cable normally used to send video from the OPPO to the TV. It is a selectable, digital audio Input on the 105D and on the 205, just like Optical.

For ARC to function, the Input you use on the TV (for the HDMI cable coming from the OPPO) must support ARC output back out that cable, and HDMI must be cabled directly from the OPPO to the TV. So HDMI 1 from the OPPO to the TV, and analog audio from the OPPO to your Amps.

However, the audio the TV sends out on ARC is limited. Likely no different than what it send out on Optical. And typically this will only work for audio generated within the TV as from its built in tuner. I.e., if you have ANOTHER HDMI source device sending audio and video into the TV on a different HDMI Input on the TV, the audio coming in from that device will likely NOT be available for output back to the OPPO via HDMI ARC.

And ARC is loosely defined in the HDMI specs, which means that compatibility problems abound. It may or may not work between your TV and the OPPO.
--Bob

post #2091 of 2127 Old 09-05-2017, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Odd problem using HDMI Front Input. Any ideas?

Setup is
105D with latest firmware (January 23, 2017).
105D is acting as a preamp feeding a 5.1 Linn active power amp and speakers
ROKU Ultra 1080 Plex App -> HDMI Front Input -> 105D -> HDMI 1 Out -> Samsung TV 1080, or
Cable Box 1080-> HDMI Front Input -> 105D -> HDMI 1 Out -> Samsung TV 1080

Using the ROKU to front input, if power up ROKU with HDMI Front Input already selected, colors are good but any video stream gives a HDCP error on the ROKU. If another input is selected on ROKU power up, then switch to HDMI Front Input, it only shows pink hues in color, and HDCP error still on media play.
Using the cable box to front input, the Samsung TV complains about no signal detected. If I remove the cable from HDMI Front Input, the 105D complains no input.
Switching HDMI cables around, re-seating them etc makes no difference to the errors above.
While the above is going on, changing input to another either doesn't work or there's a 15-30s delay in responsiveness

Both ROKU and cable box work absolutely fine on HDMI Input Back with any HDMI cable I throw at it. Similarly streaming the same media from SMB share works fine too.
post #2092 of 2127 Old 10-07-2017, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Well I just purchased the UDP-205 and will be retiring my 105D. Not totally sure this is the right thing to do but I had the support of my wife to move to 4k.

Samsung 75” 4k UHD 8550 (SEK3500) | Oppo UDP-205 | Paradigm Studio 100's v5 (Mains Bi-amped) | Paradigm Studio CC-690 v5 (Center) | Paradigm ADP-590 v5 (Back) | SVS PB13-Ultra (x2) | Marantz AV-7702 mkII pre/pro | Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5 | Harmony Ultimate Home Remote | Apple 4k TV (x2)
post #2093 of 2127 Old 10-08-2017, 03:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post
Well I just purchased the UDP-205 and will be retiring my 105D.
You might want to hang onto your 105D. It seems to not have the glitches with DirecTV the 205 does, and it has services like Netflix the 205 doesn't. I think I'm going to reconnect my 105 for DirecTV, and use the 205 for 4K movies.

db
DenonLover likes this.
post #2094 of 2127 Old 10-08-2017, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
You might want to hang onto your 105D. It seems to not have the glitches with DirecTV the 205 does, and it has services like Netflix the 205 doesn't. I think I'm going to reconnect my 105 for DirecTV, and use the 205 for 4K movies.
Also, you cannot use the 205 to rip SACDs as the 105 can.
gsr and DenonLover like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #2095 of 2127 Old 10-20-2017, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
New owner of the BDP105D, really enjoying it thus far. In addition to it's usual duties I'm hoping that I can use it as a headphone amp for playing guitar but I'm finding the latency is too much.

I play through an audio interface which by itself has unnoticeable latency. I'm trying to connect the coaxial out from the audio interface to coaxial in on the BDP105D.

I have done this with other dac/amps and haven't had an issue, is there a way to set up the BDP105D to decrease the latency?

I tried using A/V sync but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks for any help.
post #2096 of 2127 Old 10-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

^. Your best bet is likely to use the dedicated stereo Analog outs of the 105D, and then set some negative A/V Sync to undo the base delay added by the player.
—Bob

post #2097 of 2127 Old 10-20-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
^. Your best bet is likely to use the dedicated stereo Analog outs of the 105D, and then set some negative A/V Sync to undo the base delay added by the player.
—Bob
Thanks Bob, but how would I then use the headphone output of the 105D?
post #2098 of 2127 Old 10-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompa909 View Post
Thanks Bob, but how would I then use the headphone output of the 105D?
Sorry, I misread your post -- thought you wanted to use the Coax out from the 105D into a separate headphones amp.

--------------------

When you are using Coax input to Headphones output, have you tried setting a negative A/V Sync value? If that doesn't do it for you, you'll need to get in touch with OPPO Tech Support. (Negative values remove the base level of sync built into the player for a given output configuration -- but do nothing beyond that base value. So at some point, going more negative will have no additional effect.)

The A/V Sync system in the player is really intended for situations where both audio and video are coming out of the player. It may not be possible to remove the base level of audio delay in your intended use.
--Bob

post #2099 of 2127 Old 10-20-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I misread your post -- thought you wanted to use the Coax out from the 105D into a separate headphones amp.

--------------------

When you are using Coax input to Headphones output, have you tried setting a negative A/V Sync value? If that doesn't do it for you, you'll need to get in touch with OPPO Tech Support. (Negative values remove the base level of sync built into the player for a given output configuration -- but do nothing beyond that base value. So at some point, going more negative will have no additional effect.)

The A/V Sync system in the player is really intended for situations where both audio and video are coming out of the player. It may not be possible to remove the base level of audio delay in your intended use.
--Bob
Thanks, will check it out.
post #2100 of 2127 Old 11-12-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Help Please!

What is the highest resolution that the Oppo 105D can handle when fed a signal via the rear Optical/Coaxial inputs?

I was under the impression that it could handle up 24/192. However if I feed anything above 24/96, no sound comes out.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page