Official OPPO BDP-105D Owner's Thread - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 537Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2101 of 2127 Old 11-12-2017, 09:45 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,250
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5812 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
Help Please!

What is the highest resolution that the Oppo 105D can handle when fed a signal via the rear Optical/Coaxial inputs?

I was under the impression that it could handle up 24/192. However if I feed anything above 24/96, no sound comes out.

Thanks!
From OPPO's published Specifications for the 105D (on their web site and also printed near the back of the Manual):

INPUT: "Coaxial/Optical Audio: up to 2ch/96kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC."

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2102 of 2127 Old 11-12-2017, 11:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Nicoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thank you very much Bob!
Nicoff is offline  
post #2103 of 2127 Old 11-20-2017, 07:42 AM
Member
 
schnikes55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coopersburg, PA
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My system:
  • OPPO BDP-105D
  • NAD 275BEE
  • Ascend Sierra Towers w/raal
  • Rythmik L12 Subs (2)

My problem:
I can't get enough volume to the subs. I have the LFE signal from the OPPO split going out to each sub. I have the Sierra Towers set to Small and I've tried both Left/Right downmix as well as Stereo downmix. I've played with Crossover between 40Hz and 80Hz. I've played with controls on the L12s and have their volume up all the way. I've even streamed some bass heavy music (Bassnectar, Bass 305) to make sure it wasn't the music.

Any suggestions?

Digital: Oppo BDP-105 | NAD C 275BEE | Sierra Towers w/RAAL | Rythmik L12s (2)
Analog: VPI Scout w/Soundsmith Zephyr | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II | Wharfedale 225s
schnikes55 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2104 of 2127 Old 11-20-2017, 08:44 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,250
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5812 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnikes55 View Post
My system:
  • OPPO BDP-105D
  • NAD 275BEE
  • Ascend Sierra Towers w/raal
  • Rythmik L12 Subs (2)

My problem:
I can't get enough volume to the subs. I have the LFE signal from the OPPO split going out to each sub. I have the Sierra Towers set to Small and I've tried both Left/Right downmix as well as Stereo downmix. I've played with Crossover between 40Hz and 80Hz. I've played with controls on the L12s and have their volume up all the way. I've even streamed some bass heavy music (Bassnectar, Bass 305) to make sure it wasn't the music.

Any suggestions?
Start with the basics: Make sure you are cabled to the Sub output of the OPPO, and not to, say, the Center channel output.

Make sure you are connecting to the LINE LEVEL inputs of the Subs. Some Subs have both speaker level and line level inputs. The speaker level inputs expect higher voltage (you would connect the output of a speaker power amp to those). The output from the OPPO is intended to connect to Line Level inputs on your 2 subs.

Also make sure you are connected to INPUTS on the Subs. Some Subs also offer a separate set of Output jacks to pass a signal through the Sub to speakers.

---------------------

If you are using either the RCA pair or the XLR pair from the Dedicated Stereo Analog outputs to hook up for your main speakers, and also want the OPPO to do Crossover processing for you, then you must use Stereo Signal FRONT LEFT/RIGHT. This is a DIFFERENT setting from the Down Mix setting found in the multi-channel Analog Speaker Configuration menu. Setting Stereo Signal to FRONT LEFT/RIGHT configures both pairs of Dedicated Stereo outs to act just like the normal LF/RF pair from the multi-channel set -- i.e., the Dedicated Stereo pairs will respond to all the settings that normally apply to that multi-channel LF/RF pair. In particular, this means you can get Crossover processing.

To get Crossover processing, whether or not you are using those Dedicated Stereo outs, you then set LF/RF to SMALL in the OPPO's Speaker Configuration menu.

If you plan to play multi-channel content, you can also set Speaker Configuration > Down Mix to STEREO. Again, this is a separate setting from the Stereo Signal setting just mentioned above.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When you change Speaker Configuration > Down Mix to STEREO, the OPPO will turn the Subwoofer output OFF as a side effect, so that you are configured for 2.0 output. So after changing the Down Mix setting, go back into the Subwoofer settings and turn the Sub back ON as needed for 2.1 output.

Now use the built in Test Tones in the 105D to insure you are getting output on LF/RF/Sub. If you are getting output on the speakers but not on the Sub, go back into the steps above and check all of this once again.

------------------------------

Once the Test Tones demonstrate that you have good Sub output, now set the required Sub boost using the Volume knob on each Sub. (Leave the Sub Volume Trim in the OPPO at 0dB.) The idea is to have the pair of Subs produce the same output level as each of your two main speakers.

------------------------------

Now check your music again. Check with a CD first. Adjust the Crossover frequency setting in the OPPO to best match the characteristics of your room. If you are not sure about that, set it at 80Hz.

If necessary, temporarily disconnect the main speakers to be sure you are getting bass at a reasonable level from the Sub. Note that for most music, the Sub output is not supposed to be very loud. In addition, the very lowest bass frequencies are felt, rather than heard.

If the output from the Sub appears right on its own, but still appears anemic when you play it along with the main speakers then the most likely answer is that you have the Sub's Phase set incorrectly. (Some Sub's will offer adjustable Phase; some will only offer a 2 position Polarity setting.) What's happening is that the Main speakers and Subs are playing identical bass content at the same time through the octave below the Crossover frequency. If the Sub is out of phase with the Main speaker you get cancellation.

Since you are using TWO subs, it is also possible they are not in correct Phase with each other. The procedure to fix this is to power one Sub at a time and adjust its Phase to best match against the Left Front speaker. I.e., play some stereo or monaural, bass heavy content, and adjust Phase to get the maximum perceived bass at your seating position.

Then power just the other Sub and adjust its Phase. When both Subs are, individually, in-Phase with Left Front, then they are also in-Phase with each other.

---------------------------------

Note that if you are playing SACD discs or DSD media file music, Crossover processing can only happen if you have SACD Output set to PCM in the OPPO. (No audio processing is possible when DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion is in use.)

Also note that if you are playing content into the USB DAC Input of the 105D, Crossover processing is never available. The DAC Input goes straight to the DAC's in the 105D, bypassing all processing.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 11-20-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #2105 of 2127 Old 11-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Member
 
schnikes55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coopersburg, PA
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Bob--thanks for the detailed response. I'll check this out when I get home tonight. FYI, below shows the back panel on the subs. I am using the LFE input.


Digital: Oppo BDP-105 | NAD C 275BEE | Sierra Towers w/RAAL | Rythmik L12s (2)
Analog: VPI Scout w/Soundsmith Zephyr | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II | Wharfedale 225s
schnikes55 is offline  
post #2106 of 2127 Old 11-20-2017, 10:06 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,263
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 2297
^ It probably shouldn't matter, but I would suggest that you try using the L or R input on the subs instead of LFE and see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't help, try just 1 sub without the Y cable and see if that makes a difference.
gsr is online now  
post #2107 of 2127 Old 11-20-2017, 04:52 PM
Member
 
schnikes55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Coopersburg, PA
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I got home and rechecked all my cabling--it was all fine. The OPPO Stereo Signal was set to Downmix Stereo. I changed that to Front Left/Right. I then went through Speaker Configuration and set Downmix to Stereo, L/R speakers to Small, Sub On, crossover at 80Hz. Nothing coming out of the subs....until I shut the OPPO off and turned it back on and voila! I'm getting decent volume out of the subs now. Even had to turn down the sub volume control a bit. I still need to play with the crossover and phase controls a bit, but it sounds much better. Thanks Bob!!
Bob Pariseau likes this.

Digital: Oppo BDP-105 | NAD C 275BEE | Sierra Towers w/RAAL | Rythmik L12s (2)
Analog: VPI Scout w/Soundsmith Zephyr | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II | Wharfedale 225s
schnikes55 is offline  
post #2108 of 2127 Old 11-26-2017, 09:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by decairn View Post
Odd problem using HDMI Front Input. Any ideas?

Setup is
105D with latest firmware (January 23, 2017).
105D is acting as a preamp feeding a 5.1 Linn active power amp and speakers
ROKU Ultra 1080 Plex App -> HDMI Front Input -> 105D -> HDMI 1 Out -> Samsung TV 1080, or
Cable Box 1080-> HDMI Front Input -> 105D -> HDMI 1 Out -> Samsung TV 1080


Using the ROKU to front input, if power up ROKU with HDMI Front Input already selected, colors are good but any video stream gives a HDCP error on the ROKU. If another input is selected on ROKU power up, then switch to HDMI Front Input, it only shows pink hues in color, and HDCP error still on media play.
Using the cable box to front input, the Samsung TV complains about no signal detected. If I remove the cable from HDMI Front Input, the 105D complains no input.
Switching HDMI cables around, re-seating them etc makes no difference to the errors above.
While the above is going on, changing input to another either doesn't work or there's a 15-30s delay in responsiveness

Both ROKU and cable box work absolutely fine on HDMI Input Back with any HDMI cable I throw at it. Similarly streaming the same media from SMB share works fine too.
Resolution - RMA to Oppo, decoder board was replaced and now it all works as expected. RMA out-of-warranty process with Oppo was very straight forward, and returned the unit within a week of me shipping it to them.
hernanu and arsMatrix like this.
decairn is offline  
post #2109 of 2127 Old 01-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Member
 
wekya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm trying to decide how to go for my second NAS. My first lacked horsepower due to lack of budget. This one I will pay to get power, as I've learned my present one is a bit weak. The Oppo makes a great picture, but it's software and stability is sorely lacking. I want to use a powerful NAS to drive video to the OPPO if possible, but I worry about a degradation in video quality. Sometimes I will send a video from my HTPC to the HDMI IN on the OPPO, rather than have the player pull from the NAS. The picture quality and colourspace of inputting from the HTPC direct via HDMI to OPPO is much worse.

1. Am I correct in assuming that sending a video signal in to the OPPO via HDMI means the OPPO just passes this signal along to the TV without doing any of it's magic?

My goal of the better NAS will be to push video directly from the NAS to the OPPO. My key here is to gain a better, more polished and stable, user interface like Kodi (or whatever you can suggest) that allows for playlists etc.

2. I think this may entail the NAS doing transcoding?

The QNAP ts-45x is what I think I want. It will become the "control point"....for video only, Linn knows how to make a front end. So, if I want to use a NAS to (Q#1 assumption invoked) send video via Ethernet to the OPPO so it can make the great video it is designed to do. Hopefully using a more modern, stable and function rich UI.

3. Is this possible?

Thanks

Asus VivoPC HTPC Win10 i5 16GB RAM Intel graphics OR Oppo 105D>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Linn MDSM/2>Linn 6100/D>Linn Aktiv Ninkas (Linn K600 and silver RCAs), OR Optical out from Oppo>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
Synology 215j, Asus AC88U router
wekya is offline  
post #2110 of 2127 Old 01-09-2018, 04:52 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,263
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 2297
Quote:
Originally Posted by wekya View Post
I'm trying to decide how to go for my second NAS. My first lacked horsepower due to lack of budget. This one I will pay to get power, as I've learned my present one is a bit weak. The Oppo makes a great picture, but it's software and stability is sorely lacking. I want to use a powerful NAS to drive video to the OPPO if possible, but I worry about a degradation in video quality. Sometimes I will send a video from my HTPC to the HDMI IN on the OPPO, rather than have the player pull from the NAS. The picture quality and colourspace of inputting from the HTPC direct via HDMI to OPPO is much worse.

1. Am I correct in assuming that sending a video signal in to the OPPO via HDMI means the OPPO just passes this signal along to the TV without doing any of it's magic?

My goal of the better NAS will be to push video directly from the NAS to the OPPO. My key here is to gain a better, more polished and stable, user interface like Kodi (or whatever you can suggest) that allows for playlists etc.

2. I think this may entail the NAS doing transcoding?

The QNAP ts-45x is what I think I want. It will become the "control point"....for video only, Linn knows how to make a front end. So, if I want to use a NAS to (Q#1 assumption invoked) send video via Ethernet to the OPPO so it can make the great video it is designed to do. Hopefully using a more modern, stable and function rich UI.

3. Is this possible?

Thanks
Regarding question #1 , it somewhat depends on what you're sending to the Oppo on the HDMI input. If you're sending 1080P video from the source and the Oppo is configured to output 1080P, the Oppo is going to do pretty much nothing to it. On the other hand, if your source is configured for "source direct" and sends 480P when playing DVD's (for example), then the Oppo would handle the scaling to output 1080P to your display. But you're right that to take full advantage of all video processing in the Oppo, it's preferable to allow the Oppo to retrieve the file via the network and handle all decoding and processing.

If you want to use a better user interface than the file browser built into the Oppo, you would need to use DLNA. The Oppo would be a DLNA renderer endpoint, you would use your NAS as the DLNA server, and you would use a DLNA controller of your choice. There are lots of DLNA controller apps available for smart phones. I've been using JRiver Media Center as my DLNA server (running on a Windows 10 PC) and their companion JRemote iOS app as my controller. This isn't quite what you seem to have in mind as it does require an actual PC to run the JRiver server software rather than having everything run on a NAS. I'm sure you'll get a few other suggestions though.
gsr is online now  
post #2111 of 2127 Old 01-14-2018, 05:57 AM
Member
 
wekya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yes, I don't want to have a PC running, but could. Is there Jriver for any NAS's OS?

Asus VivoPC HTPC Win10 i5 16GB RAM Intel graphics OR Oppo 105D>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Linn MDSM/2>Linn 6100/D>Linn Aktiv Ninkas (Linn K600 and silver RCAs), OR Optical out from Oppo>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
Synology 215j, Asus AC88U router
wekya is offline  
post #2112 of 2127 Old 01-14-2018, 06:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Nicoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Until not too long ago jriver could not run in a NAS. Not sure if that has changed. An alternative option that runs in a NAS is Plex. The model (power) of the NAS would depend on your transcoding needs.
Nicoff is offline  
post #2113 of 2127 Old 01-20-2018, 02:04 AM
Member
 
wekya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Plex and Kodi are cousins. I am wondering if the DLNA bitstream (I know that isn't the correct use of that term) is hard on a NAS. From the above it seems that the OPPO will be doing some of the work in this configuration does that make the NAS load lighter? When I look at the QNAP spec, they say it can only do 720p, but maybe the OPPO does some work?

Asus VivoPC HTPC Win10 i5 16GB RAM Intel graphics OR Oppo 105D>Panasonic P50ST60.
Audio: Linn MDSM/2>Linn 6100/D>Linn Aktiv Ninkas (Linn K600 and silver RCAs), OR Optical out from Oppo>Vizio S4251w-B4 5.1
Synology 215j, Asus AC88U router
wekya is offline  
post #2114 of 2127 Old 06-10-2018, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
They_call_me_Roto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Cleaning an Oppo 105?

Last night I was plying CDs on my 105, and experienced skipping on every disc I played. I know that the 105 was skipping because I paid attention to the timer on the display and I could see it skipping one or two seconds at a time when the music went silent.


The issue is not the discs, they are all clean. I believe that there may be some dust in the drive that is causing an issue with the little laser emitter/reader. I did a search on YouTube but did not find any guides for cleaning an Oppo player. Can anyone here point me to a guide as to how to clean the lens in the drive unit on an Oppo player?

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
They_call_me_Roto is offline  
post #2115 of 2127 Old 06-10-2018, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,648
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by They_call_me_Roto View Post
Last night I was plying CDs on my 105, and experienced skipping on every disc I played. I know that the 105 was skipping because I paid attention to the timer on the display and I could see it skipping one or two seconds at a time when the music went silent.


The issue is not the discs, they are all clean. I believe that there may be some dust in the drive that is causing an issue with the little laser emitter/reader. I did a search on YouTube but did not find any guides for cleaning an Oppo player. Can anyone here point me to a guide as to how to clean the lens in the drive unit on an Oppo player?
There are many lens cleaners you can buy, such as this one. Many years ago, I bought a lens cleaner that created a vortex of air to safely clean the lens, rather than a brush system. I don't know whether they still make that kind. Personally, I wouldn't take the player apart to clean it manually, although many here probably would.

https://www.amazon.com/Endust-Electr...70_&dpSrc=srch

If it doesn't work, your lens may need an alignment, in which case I would send it to Oppo.

Last edited by BillP; 06-10-2018 at 05:51 AM.
BillP is offline  
post #2116 of 2127 Old 06-23-2018, 02:04 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
105d & nas

Hi all.. I just read about the demise of Oppo and hoping it is an 'April fools' joke... but it reminded me to try and get my little issue sorted while there is still interest in the brand..

OK.. so here's my problem...

home network, mainly windows and home theater gear... All pc's and my android media box can access all the four NAS boxes and play all files through (I assume) smb.. the 105D can access and play all files on all NAS except one NAS.

That NAS drive shows up in the oppo network list of available shares, as an icon of two PC's connected together like the old network icon in windows, the same way as all the other shares do..
Select any share icon and you are asked for a user & pw, which is left empty (anonymous access), press enter, and you are shown that particular shared folder, select and enter on that and you get the sub-folders as expected..

But if I select the share icon of the problem NAS from the oppo list of shares, it asks for a user and PW, (which is left blank again) enter there and the next screen shows the shared folder... so far so good... select that and enter, and I get a message saying "login error verify username and pw"... I leave it blank again, I get the same error message, if i enter the username & pw for the "administrator" (which should not be necessary), then the oppo will stay there "hung" forever and a day.. end result nothing. I have to switch off the oppo..

So is my problem an with the oppo or the NAS, or both.. or something else.???? since I can access every network share from the android box it indicates an oppo issue.. but as I can access everything else but one NAS from the oppo it indicates the problem is the NAS..

and since I have tried all user & pw combinations I don't know what to try next in either case.. HELP plzzzzz

edit------ if I activate the twonky server on the problem NAS I can access the files on that share.. but the twonky server keeps forgetting which folders i setup to be shared.. so its not a real option..

Last edited by doobreAVS; 06-23-2018 at 02:10 AM. Reason: additional
doobreAVS is offline  
post #2117 of 2127 Old 08-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Senior Member
 
mingus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Park City
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I use the 105D as a DAC?

I see several digital inputs including HDMI, can I output from the analog outs?

thx
mingus is offline  
post #2118 of 2127 Old 08-07-2018, 04:50 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,250
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5812 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post
Can I use the 105D as a DAC?

I see several digital inputs including HDMI, can I output from the analog outs?

thx
Yes.
—Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #2119 of 2127 Old 08-27-2018, 06:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Has anyone used a microrendu? I’m thinking about using one to make my 105D a Roon endpoint. How does the usb DAC sound? Any opinions on the sound or any thoughts at all would be helpful.
Thanks in advance
Dan
bdylan1966 is offline  
post #2120 of 2127 Old 09-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
cglenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Troutdale, OR
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question 105D region free fix

Does the external RS-232 to USB Hardware Upgrade Cable fix actually work? I see them on ebay and newegg (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0R4-001K-00001).


Since American Horror Story Cult Blu-Ray is not to be released in the US (only the DVD is available), but the UK does have this, I need my 105D to play Region 2 (I think). That is my motivation to do the upgrade at this time.


This same question was asked a couple of years ago in this thread but was never answered.


Also, it seem to me this fix will work after firmware upgrade, as it's external. Are any more 105D upgrades even possible?


And if you'd like to comment on this: My semi-educated thinking with this mod method is that there is no way to permanently hurt the player, that removing the cable and restarting the unit would fix any failure. Do you agree?
cglenn is offline  
post #2121 of 2127 Old 09-22-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,676
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked: 3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post
Does the external RS-232 to USB Hardware Upgrade Cable fix actually work? I see them on ebay and newegg (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0R4-001K-00001).


Since American Horror Story Cult Blu-Ray is not to be released in the US (only the DVD is available), but the UK does have this, I need my 105D to play Region 2 (I think). That is my motivation to do the upgrade at this time.


This same question was asked a couple of years ago in this thread but was never answered.


Also, it seem to me this fix will work after firmware upgrade, as it's external. Are any more 105D upgrades even possible?


And if you'd like to comment on this: My semi-educated thinking with this mod method is that there is no way to permanently hurt the player, that removing the cable and restarting the unit would fix any failure. Do you agree?

I got it from GradeExchange on eBay, a trusted seller. The kit for the 103/105 will actually work on any Oppo BD player.

Barring some new and creative form of user error, its unlikely to cause you any issues. Does not interfere with firmware flashing at all.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #2122 of 2127 Old 09-22-2018, 10:17 AM
Senior Member
 
cglenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Troutdale, OR
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I got it from GradeExchange on eBay, a trusted seller. The kit for the 103/105 will actually work on any Oppo BD player.

Barring some new and creative form of user error, its unlikely to cause you any issues. Does not interfere with firmware flashing at all.
Do you think it might work with the 203/205?
cglenn is offline  
post #2123 of 2127 Old 09-22-2018, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,676
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3825 Post(s)
Liked: 3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post
Do you think it might work with the 203/205?
That's how I'm using it at present.
cglenn likes this.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #2124 of 2127 Old 01-05-2019, 02:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Has anyone else got issues with the 105d and AAC multichannel audio in filea. I always hear phasing when playing this kind of file. It has been an issue since new.. And a disappointment for an otherwise excellent player.
doobreAVS is offline  
post #2125 of 2127 Old 02-04-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Webmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Silly question, but is the 105D Auro-3D compatible?


When I put in a disc (Jumanji) that has Auro3D soundtrack, it shows up as DTS Master Audio 5.1
Webmonkey is offline  
post #2126 of 2127 Old 09-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Bob Pariseau,

It seems in the past you are the go to OPPO 105D expert. I have been trying to use my OPPO in a kind of unique way and perhaps I can't do what I am try to accomplish but perhaps you can help. I have a computer I use in my audio room for music playback and video playback. I use JRiver 23 to play the music and use th OPPO as a usb DAC and all is fine. What it will not do is multi channel 5.1 playback with the config. I use the bitmap HDMI out to my Denon 4806CI and can play 5.1 output and have JRiver on the computer convert the DSD mch to 96/24 and playback the audio and it works perfectly and also with any video playback as well.

Now the issue. I have acquired a Mccormack MAP-1 preamp that only uses analog input. It is a analog 5.1 preamp and works with the Oppo with 5.1 analog inputs. What I am try to do is set the OPPO 105D HDMI input to get the bitmap output from the computer MCH converted to 192/24 or 96/24 x 5.1 and then send the analog out thru the OPPO DAC to the McCormack MAP-1 via the 5.1 analog outs, It seems the OPPO does not like this setup in the same way I have it setup for using the DENON 4806CI which can do this perfectly as far as inputing to the Denon is concerned...any ideas on this or do you think it is even doable at all? The video (if it is a video file) goes out to the TV directly from the computer via a 2nd DVI connection.

Thanks in Advance.
Russ Roberts
Rrroberts is offline  
post #2127 of 2127 Old 09-16-2019, 05:19 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,250
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5812 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrroberts View Post
Hello Bob Pariseau,

It seems in the past you are the go to OPPO 105D expert. I have been trying to use my OPPO in a kind of unique way and perhaps I can't do what I am try to accomplish but perhaps you can help. I have a computer I use in my audio room for music playback and video playback. I use JRiver 23 to play the music and use th OPPO as a usb DAC and all is fine. What it will not do is multi channel 5.1 playback with the config. I use the bitmap HDMI out to my Denon 4806CI and can play 5.1 output and have JRiver on the computer convert the DSD mch to 96/24 and playback the audio and it works perfectly and also with any video playback as well.

Now the issue. I have acquired a Mccormack MAP-1 preamp that only uses analog input. It is a analog 5.1 preamp and works with the Oppo with 5.1 analog inputs. What I am try to do is set the OPPO 105D HDMI input to get the bitmap output from the computer MCH converted to 192/24 or 96/24 x 5.1 and then send the analog out thru the OPPO DAC to the McCormack MAP-1 via the 5.1 analog outs, It seems the OPPO does not like this setup in the same way I have it setup for using the DENON 4806CI which can do this perfectly as far as inputing to the Denon is concerned...any ideas on this or do you think it is even doable at all? The video (if it is a video file) goes out to the TV directly from the computer via a 2nd DVI connection.

Thanks in Advance.
Russ Roberts
The HDMI Input on the 105D has restrictions on the audio formats it can accept. See the Specifications page near the back of the Manual.

Set your computer to send 5.1 LPCM (not Bitstream) digital audio to the OPPO and you should be good to go. In particular, you can not send HDMI DSD into the HDMI Input of the 105D.

Another thing to keep in mind: There is no such thing as Audio-only HDMI. Audio carried on HDMI is *ALWAYS* embedded inside video -- even if that's just a black image. That means you have to set your computer to send VIDEO to the OPPO in a format the OPPO can accept. These would be the standard home theater video formats up to 1080p. In particular, the non-home theater video formats commonly used by computer monitors will not work.

In addition, the bandwidth of the video stream constrains the bandwidth of the audio it can contain. That means to send the 5.1 LPCM (up to 192 kHz) the video resolution must be 720p, or 1080i, or 1080p, to provide enough room inside the video to carry the audio.

Finally remember that playback via the HDMI Input does not happen automatically. You need to tell the player you want it to use that Input (as opposed to, say, playing a disc). You do that via the Input button on the remote -- see the Manual.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off