Yamaha BD-S677 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #61 of 106 Old 01-15-2016, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes, the wireless display is enabled. But you got me thinking and I did more digging round on the phone.

Even though I don't use wi-fi the setting has to be enabled in the phone. Now it works. The only cavet is I can only see screens and photos on my phone on the tv.
Since I don't have wi-fi yet, soon to come though, I can't stream anything from aps using only Verizon's network. As a test I 'turned off wi-fi' and the screen went black saying 'device disconnected'. So now I know I can connect, but will need wi-fi to view anything meaningful.
Looks like a wireless router is my next investment. Modern HT can be so complicated...but I'm having fun with learning newer technoloy...but how to make it easy for my wife.
Brenda Johnson likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 106 Old 01-15-2016, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 4
LOL!! My husband refuses to learn anything about the remotes. Glad you're getting things sorted out!!
post #63 of 106 Old 01-17-2016, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Yamaha S677 AV Controller App

Sorry folks, no idea which forum to post this... so this one makes sense

I just bought a Yamaha Blu Ray S-677. I already had a yamaha receiver which was working with the AV Controller App nicely.

I want to simply add the S677 to the App to control it as well as the receiver.

I cannot get the app to recognize the Blu Ray

Any thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 106 Old 01-18-2016, 09:14 AM

Liked: 1
Problem solved...

When I set up the Blu Ray, I put it on my guest wifi which wasn't on the same network as the AV receiver. Once I corrected that, it all worked fine.
Brenda Johnson likes this.
post #65 of 106 Old 01-24-2016, 10:26 PM

Liked: 10
Hi res file question

The S677 owners manual states that it has capability to play hi res WAV, FLAC, and ALAC files via USB and DLNA. Has anyone tested this capability? The manual does not specify if this capability is 2 channel files only or if the unit can play multi-channel hi res files as well. Can anyone answer this question?
post #66 of 106 Old 01-26-2016, 09:03 PM

Liked: 10
I think I found my own answer - the manual has a footnote to the WAV, FLAC, and ALAC files that specifies "Sampling frequency of up to 192kHz/24bit (LPCM/Stereo)"

The reason for my question is that I am trying to decide between a Sony BDP-S7200 and the Yamaha BD-S677. I have a Roku 3 for Netflix, Amazon, etc., etc. streaming, so the Yamaha's lack of apps does not really bother me. I am considering getting more into hi resolution files, and the Sony has much more capability on that front. However, I think that the Yamaha will have better audio performance based on what other owners have reported in this thread.

I see many reports of repeated lockups with the Sony in reviews on other sites, so I am a bit leary. I bought a Sony S6500 a couple of weeks ago because on paper it seemed to have all of the capabilities and features of the S7200, just in a different case. I returned it after one night's trial due to it vibrating badly, locking up, and putting a deafening squeal through my system when I plugged a USB thumb drive in to test hi res file playback. (I thought I had damaged one of my tweeters after that incident).

Also, in other Yamaha owners opinion, does the Yamaha picture quality match that of the Sony, which I understand to be very good?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
post #67 of 106 Old 01-27-2016, 04:56 AM

I don't have any basis to compare the Sony to the BD-677 as far as picture is concerned, but I can tell you it beats the snot out of the old Panasonic BDT320 that I keep around as a streaming box. I'd seriously consider the Sony, though, if you care about 4K: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-oQtsicL...BDP-S7200.html

Last edited by Brenda Johnson; 01-27-2016 at 05:00 AM. Reason: more info
post #68 of 106 Old 03-03-2016, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi folks, every time I try to play a video file via the frontal USB port the image and the sound stop for a while after 10 seconds or so, then everything works fine until the movie ends.

Is it a bug of my unit?

Thanks a lot.
post #69 of 106 Old 03-04-2016, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Liked: 349
What type of files?
Have you tried other videos?
Have you tried another memory stick?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #70 of 106 Old 03-04-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
What type of files?
Have you tried other videos?
Have you tried another memory stick?
It happens with every type of video files in both USB ports and I have tried with several HDD or pendrives.

Fortunately, this problem only occurs the first time I try to play a video file, but it bothers me.

Regards.
post #71 of 106 Old 03-05-2016, 04:47 AM

What/where is the source of these files?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #72 of 106 Old 03-05-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
What/where is the source of these files?
http://www.fantec.de/en/products/sto...c_db_alu3e_6g/
post #73 of 106 Old 03-06-2016, 04:24 AM

No, that is where you are storing them.
Where did you get the movies/videos from??

post #74 of 106 Old 03-06-2016, 09:41 AM

Backups from my DVDs and BDs via Handbrake.

Why?
post #75 of 106 Old 03-06-2016, 10:26 AM

I'm looking for something common to your situation.

I have only played .mkv files (movies) from a USB stick.
gymnos likes this.

post #76 of 106 Old 03-06-2016, 03:34 PM

Does your unit have that issue?

Cheers.
post #77 of 106 Old 03-07-2016, 03:37 AM

There usually are audio 'hiccup' every time I change stations on the DVR. Once, twice, sometimes three times which I attribute to that damn Hollywood HDMI handshaking. I have gotten a 'hiccup' when starting a DVD and a recording off of the USB drive.
These audio 'hiccups' are less than a second. It doesn't affect the video, I see the display on the receiver flash also as it looses the signal. I never had this when the video when directly to the TV.
gymnos likes this.

post #78 of 106 Old 03-07-2016, 09:50 AM

Well, I hope that another BD-S677 owner can check these issues and share with us his experience.

Regards.
post #79 of 106 Old 03-19-2016, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Anyone with a BDA1040 that can answer...Does this player have VUDU? I purchased one and it doesn't have Vudu anywhere.

Can someone point me in the right direction.
post #80 of 106 Old 04-05-2016, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Anyone?
post #81 of 106 Old 04-06-2016, 05:33 AM

I don't think it has VUDU. The streaming options are pretty limited, which is why I've kept my Panasonic Blu-Ray. The Yamaha's strengths lie elsewhere.
post #82 of 106 Old 04-08-2016, 01:01 PM

Liked: 0
Hello everybody,

I have bought Yamaha S677 blu ray player, and i used a usb stick to watch .mkv movies, i have a problem with the subtitles.
I can not change the code for the subtitle. For example i need cyrillic code, i have inserted cyrillic subtitle and name it the same as the movie, but it just shows symbols and dashes. It works fine with english subs.
Any help please?
post #83 of 106 Old 04-09-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zafirovski View Post
Hello everybody,

I have bought Yamaha S677 blu ray player, and i used a usb stick to watch .mkv movies, i have a problem with the subtitles.
I can not change the code for the subtitle. For example i need cyrillic code, i have inserted cyrillic subtitle and name it the same as the movie, but it just shows symbols and dashes. It works fine with english subs.
Any help please?
Have you taken a look to the menu? I am not sure but I think that there is an option related with the subtitles code.

Regards.
post #84 of 106 Old 04-21-2016, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post
Hello everyone. I do not have the S677, but its baby brother the BD-S477. It is a non streaming (except for updates) that also does DVD-A and SACD.
And I have a problem with it. On a least several occasions this player has failed to turn on by using the remote or pushing the power button on the machine itself. I have to unplug and reinsert it to get power. It's to late to return the player to Amazon and I have just emailed Yamaha about the situation, but figured I'd ask if anyone has had a similar problem with the S677 and a possible solution. I did replace my power strip with a better surge protecter. The player is connected to a Panasonic S60 plasma and a Sony HT-CT770 soundbar. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Aquastar,

Did you ever get an answer to this? I am having similar problem with the BD-S677
post #85 of 106 Old 04-22-2016, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Yah,I wrote to Yamaha and they deduced it was a bad power supply. They had me ship it back and they sent me another one that has the same issues but less frequent as the previous one. I finally put that one away and got a Panny DMP-BDT270. No issues.
post #86 of 106 Old 04-23-2016, 02:15 AM

This locks up when you are in the play list using a USB thumb drive after watching a selection and try to power down. It won't., it just locks up. I have to press & hold the front panel power button.

post #87 of 106 Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
This locks up when you are in the play list using a USB thumb drive after watching a selection and try to power down. It won't., it just locks up. I have to press & hold the front panel power button.
Odd, I had the same issue when accessing files from the Windows DLNA server on my computer via wired connection. I have had no such problems since switching to a Synology NAS however. Maybe there are various sources that this player has problems with.
post #88 of 106 Old 04-23-2016, 07:55 AM

No Network, just using the front panel USB port.
I did try to duplicate the problem with inserting the drive, navigating to the files and then powering down via the front panel button, but it did power down ok.
Apparently, it's when you actually play something, stop at the end of the movie (these are mkv files), then power off. It has happened more than once, so it wasn't one specific specific mkv movie file.
gymnos likes this.

post #89 of 106 Old 04-24-2016, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Aquastar.

Videobruce that is exactly what's happening with the thumb drive and after playing something. It locks up and all you can do is pull the plug and plug back in.

Will be ringing the retailer Tuesday morn. Keep you posted.....
post #90 of 106 Old 08-30-2016, 03:56 PM

USB memory stick w/ scrolling titles locking up player

This is in addition to my previous post on lockups.

Titles that are too long to display automatically scroll.
Now, any of those will lock the machine up completely as soon (or shortly after) as you toggle down to them. Even before you can select them for playback. These are mp4 recording off of U-Tube from various sources. None commercial, many are videos recorded by the poster. I don't believe any of that has anything to do with the problem since it is when I stop on one of these selections with a long text name the problem shows. if I can get the selection to play, they seem to play ok, I don't recall having problems there.

The memory itself is a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB. I haven't tried another stick yet, thou it seems doubtful that is the problem. I current firmware is 1.387 which I haven't updated. I don't use any of the Internet functions. The only way to recover is hold the power button down until it powers down or unplug the unit. I have read about these (and Sony players, among others) locking up while 'streaming' material, but that isn't the case here.

Input??

Last edited by videobruce; 08-30-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
oppo bdp-103

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page