Pioneer Elite BDP-85FD and BDP-88FD Blu-ray Players at CEDIA 2014 - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #361 of 388 Old 02-27-2018, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Does anyone know the magical remote control code sequence to make the BDP-88FD region free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 388 Old 04-14-2018, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone have any experience with the Video Parameters settings on these players? For example, I'm wondering whether the Pure Cinema option on my 85FD is similar to the Pure Cinema options on the Kuro display? I'm wondering if it performs the same functions, the reverse telecine and 72Hz conversion. And if so, if I engage that feature on the 85FD, should I disable Pure Cinema on the Kuro?

And what's the deal with FPD Film Cinema and Digital Cinema? What kind of processing is involved there?
post #363 of 388 Old 07-05-2018, 12:11 PM

I own the 85FD. I connect it to a Focal Dimension soundbar via the HDMI SUB while HDMI MAIN goes to the video monitor. The monitor has no built-in speakers. Since I got this monitor a few months ago, I've had the nagging feeling like the picture wasn't as good as when I first brought it home, i.e. when I was just playing with the video settings before I got the Focal soundbar.

Last night I was flipping through the 85fd manual when I noticed this paragraph:

"The pictures are output with the preferred output resolution of the device (TV, AV receiver or amplifier, etc.) connected to the selected video output terminal. However, if devices are connected to both HDMI MAIN and HDMI SUB, the pictures are output with a resolution which both devices support. If the resolution supported by the devices connected to the HDMI MAIN and HDMI SUB terminals vary, then either turn off the power of the device that is not in use, or connect the device that will be used to the HDMI MAIN terminal and set the HDMI Mode setting to Single in order to deliver output on the device used for viewing video with optimum resolution."

At first I thought that this must pertain to a situation when you are connected to two video displays. It just doesn't make sense that some limitation in the soundbar would affect the video output to the monitor, especially when you have the HDMI mode set to SEPARATE. Nevertheless, my curiosity was up, so did a couple of experiments with the soundbar connected and disconnected.

!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's true! The picture is significantly better with the soundbar disconnected! i.e. when only one HDMI output is employed.

I'm totally baffled why this should be. Has anyone experienced the same? And have you found a work-around? My alternative audio-out options are not ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 388 Old 07-05-2018, 02:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 5910 Post(s)
Liked: 8463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trentero View Post
I own the 85FD. I connect it to a Focal Dimension soundbar via the HDMI SUB while HDMI MAIN goes to the video monitor. The monitor has no built-in speakers. Since I got this monitor a few months ago, I've had the nagging feeling like the picture wasn't as good as when I first brought it home, i.e. when I was just playing with the video settings before I got the Focal soundbar.

Last night I was flipping through the 85fd manual when I noticed this paragraph:

"The pictures are output with the preferred output resolution of the device (TV, AV receiver or amplifier, etc.) connected to the selected video output terminal. However, if devices are connected to both HDMI MAIN and HDMI SUB, the pictures are output with a resolution which both devices support. If the resolution supported by the devices connected to the HDMI MAIN and HDMI SUB terminals vary, then either turn off the power of the device that is not in use, or connect the device that will be used to the HDMI MAIN terminal and set the HDMI Mode setting to Single in order to deliver output on the device used for viewing video with optimum resolution."

At first I thought that this must pertain to a situation when you are connected to two video displays. It just doesn't make sense that some limitation in the soundbar would affect the video output to the monitor, especially when you have the HDMI mode set to SEPARATE. Nevertheless, my curiosity was up, so did a couple of experiments with the soundbar connected and disconnected.

!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's true! The picture is significantly better with the soundbar disconnected! i.e. when only one HDMI output is employed.

I'm totally baffled why this should be. Has anyone experienced the same? And have you found a work-around? My alternative audio-out options are not ideal.
This was pretty common when dual HDMI outputs first appeared in Blu-ray players. The hardware for driving two HDMI outputs was actually doing a SINGLE HDMI handshake that had to satisfy the devices at the ends of BOTH outputs. So you got the least common denominator as the result.

Dual HDMI outputs in the newest, UHD players do separate handshakes on the two outputs. HOWEVER, this is done at the expense of muting Video on the "Audio-only" HDMI output -- and also, typically, muting Audio on the Video HDMI output whenever the Audio-only HDMI output was also live. So you ended up with one output for real video, and another output for audio -- delivered embedded in a black screen that wasn't any good for driving a 2nd TV.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #365 of 388 Old 07-05-2018, 02:29 PM

That makes sense about the hardware. Still, I have to wonder what information the 85 is reading from the soundbar that tells it to refrain on the video output. On the SEPARATE setting, the video is supposed to be muted on the HDMI SUB, as the audio is muted on the HDMI MAIN.

With the 85FD, would it make a difference if I use just the HDMI MAIN connected to the soundbar, and then connect to the monitor via the soundbar's ARC? I don't see how that could make a difference, but maybe I'll try it tonight just for fun. I can't go the opposite way, i.e. first to the monitor and then to the soundbar because the screen has no outputs whatsoever.

This now becomes a huge hassle. The 85FD has only coaxial output, but the soundbar has only toslink input.

Last edited by Trentero; 07-05-2018 at 04:48 PM.
post #366 of 388 Old 07-05-2018, 10:07 PM

Well, I guess I have to accept that I'm dealing with old technology. Times are changing faster than I expected.

I've spent the evening researching various alternatives such as the Sony-X1000ES, Panasonic UB9000, and Samsung-M9500. The reviews are all great, and apparently the dual HDMI is fully separate for video and audio. But somehow I feel skeptical that these players would offer the same cinematic quality as the Pioneer Elite. Am I wrong? Am I clinging to the past?
post #367 of 388 Old 07-06-2018, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Angry BDP-88FD Froze with "PIONEER"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vercingetorix View Post
My 88FD is stuck with "PIONEER" displayed on the front panel when I power it up.

To troubleshoot:

1. I have removed all connections.
  2. I have attached the power cord while pressing and holding the power button.
  3. I have attached the power cord while pressing and holding the stop button.
  4. I have attached the power cord while pressing and holding both the power and stop buttons.

I am guessing that the firmware is somehow corrupted.

Does anyone have any suggestions, including using the RS-232 interact to reset the unit, or update the firmware from the USB port?

My Pioneer Elite BDP-88FD is has the same problem now. Does anyone has any idea or solution about how remedy this problem?
post #368 of 388 Old 07-06-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELTONJB View Post
My Pioneer Elite BDP-88FD is has the same problem now. Does anyone has any idea or solution about how remedy this problem?
The manual states to hold the “power on” button for five seconds while the unit is on to reset it.
post #369 of 388 Old 07-06-2018, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer Elite BDP-88FD problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vercingetorix View Post
My 88FD is stuck with "PIONEER" displayed on the front panel when I power it up.

To troubleshoot:

1. I have removed all connections.
  2. I have attached the power cord while pressing and holding the power button.
  3. I have attached the power cord while pressing and holding the stop button.
  4. I have attached the power cord while pressing and holding both the power and stop buttons.

I am guessing that the firmware is somehow corrupted.

Does anyone have any suggestions, including using the RS-232 interact to reset the unit, or update the firmware from the USB port?
I have tried holding the Power button, but it wont reset. Only the power button-led is lit and nothing else is happening. I do know if I should send it for repair or just save my money for a new UHD player.
post #370 of 388 Old 07-07-2018, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I guess I have to accept that I'm dealing with old technology. Times are changing faster than I expected.

I've spent the evening researching various alternatives such as the Sony-X1000ES, Panasonic UB9000, and Samsung-M9500. The reviews are all great, and apparently the dual HDMI is fully separate for video and audio. But somehow I feel skeptical that these players would offer the same cinematic quality as the Pioneer Elite. Am I wrong? Am I clinging to the past?
I own the Pioneer BDP-88 and the Sony X-1000 ES. I like the PQ on the Sony a little better for Blu rays and DVD’s. I use the 88 solely For playing CD’s, SACD’s and DVD Audio.
post #371 of 388 Old 07-07-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
I own the Pioneer BDP-88 and the Sony X-1000 ES. I like the PQ on the Sony a little better for Blu rays and DVD’s. I use the 88 solely For playing CD’s, SACD’s and DVD Audio.
Really? That's encouraging. May I ask if you've noticed what I've noticed? That the PQ on the Pioneer really does suffer when both HDMI outputs are engaged? I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I feel like the SEPARATE setting should isolate the video and audio. The 85FD and 88FD are not old players, after all. Are they?

And may I ask . . . If you do notice this PQ drop-off in the Pioneer, is it rectified in the Sony?
post #372 of 388 Old 07-08-2018, 03:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Really? That's encouraging. May I ask if you've noticed what I've noticed? That the PQ on the Pioneer really does suffer when both HDMI outputs are engaged? I feel like I must be doing something wrong. I feel like the SEPARATE setting should isolate the video and audio. The 85FD and 88FD are not old players, after all. Are they?

And may I ask . . . If you do notice this PQ drop-off in the Pioneer, is it rectified in the Sony?
I only use the main out HDMI port and have never used both at the same time so I can’t comment on whether using both at the same time somehow diminishes the resolution. Bob P. Seems to have a good explanation for that in a previous post. I think the Sony’s upscailing is just a tad better than the Pioneer on Blu Rays and DVD’s and I simply like the Sony’s picture better. They both do an excellent job in my opinion.
post #373 of 388 Old 07-15-2018, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDs View Post
Yes they support Pandora
Are you sure? Going through the manual and spec sheet i don't see Pandora listed, see attached screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 3.37.12 PM.png
Views:	14
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	2428902  

post #374 of 388 Old 07-15-2018, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post
Are you sure? Going through the manual and spec sheet i don't see Pandora listed, see attached screenshot.
My bad as I don’t have the 85 hooked up anymore, but I thought it was under web contents menu. My 62FD that’s still in my bedroom has Netflix, YouTube, Picasa, and Pandora options. I could have swore on 85FD it was there as I would use it to check for WiFi connection stability or may have been YouTube instead😁
post #375 of 388 Old 07-16-2018, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 102
While playing a couple of BDs on my 88FD, I noticed that with each there was about a 1-second audio dropout at one point. The discs were The Avengers and Black Panther. Unfortunately, I didn't note the time stamps when this occurred. It happened twice with The Avengers in the same viewing session. I doubt it's the discs, since it never happened before with either.

I guess I'll need to keep an eye on this. I do have my 09FD and an Oppo 83 on hand to help troubleshoot if it comes to that. The audio is routed through my system via Transparent Plus ICs; video goes to the TV via HDMI. Troubleshooting such a small (at this point) issue would be a pain.

Anyone have an idea what might cause this?

SOTA, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
post #376 of 388 Old 07-16-2018, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDs View Post
My bad as I don’t have the 85 hooked up anymore, but I thought it was under web contents menu. My 62FD that’s still in my bedroom has Netflix, YouTube, Picasa, and Pandora options. I could have swore on 85FD it was there as I would use it to check for WiFi connection stability or may have been YouTube instead😁
No worries, you obviously meant well. I went ahead and picked up an 'open box' BDP-85FD at a very good price...and...Pandora is the least of my worries. It turns out this player is not compatible with the ExFAT format for external USB drives. It will only accept FAT32 or NTSF. Problem with FAT32 is that it is limited to 4Gb files (which means i can forget about my Blu-ray rips and HD video files) and NTSF is for Windows OS only so i'm basically screwed since i have an iMac. I'm frustrated beyond words.

post #377 of 388 Old 07-16-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post
No worries, you obviously meant well. I went ahead and picked up an 'open box' BDP-85FD at a very good price...and...Pandora is the least of my worries. It turns out this player is not compatible with the ExFAT format for external USB drives. It will only accept FAT32 or NTSF. Problem with FAT32 is that it is limited to 4Gb files (which means i can forget about my Blu-ray rips and HD video files) and NTSF is for Windows OS only so i'm basically screwed since i have an iMac. I'm frustrated beyond words.
On the flip I paid full retail when first introduced and didn't regret one moment of it. Trust me it's a great player and pricing you got is just icing on the cake. Yeah Pioneer loves FAT32 format, and it's been that way for sometime now. I too use Macs, and had issues formatting drives for firmware upgrades on AVR front, but settled for formatting them on my work PC. Keep searching there may be an available option that . I may get called out on this one, but already begun moving to digital HD movies via ATV4K as I am quite impressed with Apple little black box
post #378 of 388 Old 07-16-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
While playing a couple of BDs on my 88FD, I noticed that with each there was about a 1-second audio dropout at one point. The discs were The Avengers and Black Panther. Unfortunately, I didn't note the time stamps when this occurred. It happened twice with The Avengers in the same viewing session. I doubt it's the discs, since it never happened before with either.

I guess I'll need to keep an eye on this. I do have my 09FD and an Oppo 83 on hand to help troubleshoot if it comes to that. The audio is routed through my system via Transparent Plus ICs; video goes to the TV via HDMI. Troubleshooting such a small (at this point) issue would be a pain.

Anyone have an idea what might cause this?
Read Bob post#364 it may offer some clues. When I used my 85FD I only ran one HDMI cable to AVR without no sync issues
post #379 of 388 Old 07-21-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2674 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:

Are you serious...?

You think the Sony X800/X1000 (same PQ) has better PQ than the BDP-88...?

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX; Samsung Q90T/Q800T...?
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #380 of 388 Old 07-21-2018, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Are you serious...?

You think the Sony X800/X1000 (same PQ) has better PQ than the BDP-88...?

I don’t know about the x800. I own the x1000 and I like the picture a little better on the x1000 than the BDP88.
post #381 of 388 Old 08-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I recently purchased a BDP-85FD. DVD's work OK. CD's play OK. The issue is with Blu-rays.

With Blu-rays I'll have handshake issues, loss of video, loss of audio. And so far, I've been unable to detect a pattern other than it only seems to happen with Blu-rays. I've tried 4 different titles so far and it's the same thing. For example, I played Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, it began playing and I watched the special features. After the first feature the screen when I tried to scroll to another feature the screen went blank. But, per the player the counter was still moving forward. On the Book of Eli I was watching it, it was playing fine, I went into the kitchen and the screen was blank and the player had shut off.

I've tried the usual: 1) reset, 2) turn player off / turn player on, 3) turn player off, unplug power cord, plug power cord, turn player on, 4) change HDMI cables, etc. The usual.

So, prior to returning the unit for a refund I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone might have some useful input. I read this thread and could not find anything specific to my situation.

Thank you.
post #382 of 388 Old 08-21-2018, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ese View Post
I recently purchased a BDP-85FD. DVD's work OK. CD's play OK. The issue is with Blu-rays.

With Blu-rays I'll have handshake issues, loss of video, loss of audio. And so far, I've been unable to detect a pattern other than it only seems to happen with Blu-rays. I've tried 4 different titles so far and it's the same thing. For example, I played Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, it began playing and I watched the special features. After the first feature the screen when I tried to scroll to another feature the screen went blank. But, per the player the counter was still moving forward. On the Book of Eli I was watching it, it was playing fine, I went into the kitchen and the screen was blank and the player had shut off.

I've tried the usual: 1) reset, 2) turn player off / turn player on, 3) turn player off, unplug power cord, plug power cord, turn player on, 4) change HDMI cables, etc. The usual.

So, prior to returning the unit for a refund I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone might have some useful input. I read this thread and could not find anything specific to my situation.

Thank you.
If you are within your return window I would return it.
post #383 of 388 Old 08-21-2018, 04:55 PM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you are within your return window I would return it.

???

Re-read the 1st sentence in the final paragraph. (Before the final sentence stating Thank you.)

Last edited by Ese; 08-21-2018 at 07:54 PM.
post #384 of 388 Old 08-29-2018, 07:22 AM
Ese
Advanced Member

I've since returned the Pio BDP-85FD. So, no need for anyone else to respond to my post.
post #385 of 388 Old 04-21-2020, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 1230
I realize this is an almost two year old thread, on the other hand I just picked up one of these magnificent players for next to nothing and I must say they are very nice indeed.
bslep likes this.

HT TCL 55P605, BenQ W7000, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Pioneer SC-LX701, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Music Sansui SR-4050, SR-3030, Dual 1219, Pioneer BDP-85FD, Emotiva PT-100, Sherwood Newcastle R-972, Polk Monitor 10 & 5jr, SVS SB1000
post #386 of 388 Old 04-23-2020, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post
I realize this is an almost two year old thread, on the other hand I just picked up one of these magnificent players for next to nothing and I must say they are very nice indeed.
I have the BDP-88FD which I use exclusively for CD’s and SACD’s and I am still loving it.
bguzman likes this.
post #387 of 388 Old 04-23-2020, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 1230
Quote:
I have the BDP-88FD which I use exclusively for CD’s and SACD’s and I am still loving it.
That is essentially what I’m using for as well and it’s easy to love.

HT TCL 55P605, BenQ W7000, Pioneer UDP LX500, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Pioneer SC-LX701, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Music Sansui SR-4050, SR-3030, Dual 1219, Pioneer BDP-85FD, Emotiva PT-100, Sherwood Newcastle R-972, Polk Monitor 10 & 5jr, SVS SB1000
post #388 of 388 Old 04-24-2020, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Problem solved.

Last edited by mantaraydesign; 04-27-2020 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Solved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags