Sony S1500/ S3500 / S4500 / S5500 / S6500 Blu-ray players - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1486Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 2244 Old 06-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Digital streaming will be the best you get. Many titles on DVD but not on bd are available in HD from streaming. And the HD stream will typically be better than what is on the dvd.
Yes, but you can't really own a stream or a DRM protected download. For a lot of people that is important. If you want to own a collection a lot of movies will not make it to BD or UBD and you'll have to live with the older format. Luckily upscaling is pretty good now-a-days on the right player, and I'm not super picky.
jazzycat likes this.
StingingVelvet is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 2244 Old 06-15-2015, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,133
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5921
Only thing I do diff is cut DRC off too.
aaronwt likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #543 of 2244 Old 06-15-2015, 09:32 PM
Member
 
madmartigan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a problem earlier while watching Jurassic park 3d. Not sure if it's my 5500 bluray player or the epson 6030ub. Please help I was watching the movie in 3d and the picture started getting some red blobs on the screen. Also the outline of the screen turned red. Turned off 3d movie and went back to the Sony bluray menu and then went back into the movie and it was fine. What do you guys think
madmartigan10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #544 of 2244 Old 06-16-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,089
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 694
What are the optimal audio settings for a quality receiver? (Denon 4520).
Dreamliner is offline  
post #545 of 2244 Old 06-16-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,133
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5921
They were all just posted in like the last 5 posts.
JoeKustra likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #546 of 2244 Old 06-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
jazzycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's not just you. DVD looks like crap on anything when compared to a Blu-ray Disc.
I don't know. Since I exchanged the 6500 for the 3500 last week, I've watched many blu rays and also dvds, and I can't tell that huge of a difference in PQ. As long as the noise issue doesn't come back, I think I'll be happy with this player.
jazzycat is offline  
post #547 of 2244 Old 06-16-2015, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
jazzycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 372
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
How can you guys watch DVDs still? I got rid of ALL my DVDs through Best Buy trade ins and have over 350 Blurays. Netflix streaming is better than DVDs. I will never touch a DVD again.
I have over 500 dvds. What? I should spend money to replace them all? I think not. They look fine to me.

Now I will start collecting blu rays... (and then once again be behind the times when 4k players/discs come out, and I'm still buying/watching blu rays.)
jazzycat is offline  
post #548 of 2244 Old 06-16-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,705
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
I have over 500 dvds. What? I should spend money to replace them all? I think not. They look fine to me.

Now I will start collecting blu rays... (and then once again be behind the times when 4k players/discs come out, and I'm still buying/watching blu rays.)
Since my TV is small (40") there isn't a big difference between DVD and BD. The biggest difference has always been the audio. In a good quality surround system something extra is really added with DTS-MA and others. Not that DVD is bad, but the dynamic range of a Blu-ray is much better. But we are getting into the "theater" experience, which is not really a Sony problem.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #549 of 2244 Old 06-16-2015, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,089
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Is there a difference in the video processing chip between the 5500 and 6500?

I just did a comparison with Chappie and my DSLR (pics eventually). Regarding picture quality, there is ZERO difference between the 5500 and a PS3.
Dreamliner is offline  
post #550 of 2244 Old 06-17-2015, 06:25 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,384
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
I don't know. Since I exchanged the 6500 for the 3500 last week, I've watched many blu rays and also dvds, and I can't tell that huge of a difference in PQ. As long as the noise issue doesn't come back, I think I'll be happy with this player.
SOmething is definitely wrong then if you can't tell a difference. DVDs, 480p has no detail in the image. The resolution just isn't there for any detail. There should be a night and day difference between a BD and a DVD. That has always been the case.

Whether I'm looking on a 27" set or an 82" set, the difference between a BD and a DVD has always been huge.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #551 of 2244 Old 06-17-2015, 06:30 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,384
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyscotsman View Post
I have a problem that I can not seem to figure out. I purchased the BDP-S6500 over the weekend. I cannot get Dolby Atmos or really bitstreaming in general to work with this player. I know it is NOT my receiver. I can play the exact title through my PS3 and get the Dolby Atmos stream to play through my Onkyo TX-NR3030. With the Sony BDP-S6500 in the setup audio section, it lists only PCM and I think it's Default (I'm at work); I do not have bitstream or anything like that as an option. During the movie playback (Unbroken and Transformers Revenge of the Fallen), my receiver does not list the DTS True HD or Dolby HD as bitstream. My receiver picks Dolby Surround as the best audio (which is simulated Atmos). Any idea what is going on with my player? If I can't resolve the issue, it's going back. However if I can get this working, the player seems great - it looks great with upscaled 4K on my JVC 4910 projector.

Thanks for any help.
I watched teh entire 3D BD of Jupiter Acending with it's DOlby True HD 7.1 track which is supposed to be an Atmos mix. I don't have an Atmos player but I had no problems bitstreaming the Dolby True HD 7.1 to my Denon 4520. And the 3D worked fine too.
Too bad the movie content was an incoherent mess. But the audio and video quality was good.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #552 of 2244 Old 06-17-2015, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Cortiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
SOmething is definitely wrong then if you can't tell a difference. DVDs, 480p has no detail in the image. The resolution just isn't there for any detail. There should be a night and day difference between a BD and a DVD. That has always been the case.

Whether I'm looking on a 27" set or an 82" set, the difference between a BD and a DVD has always been huge.
I think he's talking about the S3500 vs S6500.
jazzycat likes this.
Cortiz is offline  
post #553 of 2244 Old 06-17-2015, 11:13 AM
 
Alex F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
480p has no detail in the image. The resolution just isn't there for any detail.
There is plenty of detail stored in those 720x480i silver discs. When DVDs were introduced, all the talk was how sharp, clear, and detailed the image was--a breakthrough in home entertainment.

I attended Sony's east coast introduction of the DVD format, which took place in Manhattan. If I remember correctly it was in 1995. The picture quality astounded everyone attending the demo. Sony's representatives repeatedly pointed out the high levels of detail that the new format provided. The DVD promised to combine the video quality of a LaserDisc with the convenience of a small disc and a low cost. At the time I was paying from $25 to $50 per movie on LD.

For those like myself who had large-screen, high-performance, rear-projection televisions, we impatiently waited about two years for the format's commercial release. I purchased my first DVD player in February 1997, a few weeks before DVDs even became available. Playing early DVDs on my Pioneer 50" RPTV was a big thrill. Friends and relatives came to visit and marveled at all the detail on the screen.

Of course Blu-ray is superior, but a well-mastered anamorphic DVD can provide an excellent picture, especially when it is upscaled properly.
Alex F. is offline  
post #554 of 2244 Old 06-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Newbie
 
jmhavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
We have a large collection of DVDs of films from the 1930s and '40s, and watch TCM frequently as well.
Alex, sorry for the delayed thanks for your help and follow-up question. Both theoretically, and in your own actual experience, what should be, or is, the ranking in picture and audio quality between Blu-ray, DVD, and cable broadcast. I'm of course assuming Blu-ray is always better than DVD (!), but where would TCM fall, for instance? If you had the choice of watching a movie broadcast on TCM or Blu-ray, which would you pick, or would it depend (B&W or color movie, genre of movie, model of Blu-ray player, etc.)? And then what about TCM or DVD?
jmhavs is offline  
post #555 of 2244 Old 06-17-2015, 05:32 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,384
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
There is plenty of detail stored in those 720x480i silver discs. When DVDs were introduced, all the talk was how sharp, clear, and detailed the image was--a breakthrough in home entertainment.

I attended Sony's east coast introduction of the DVD format, which took place in Manhattan. If I remember correctly it was in 1995. The picture quality astounded everyone attending the demo. Sony's representatives repeatedly pointed out the high levels of detail that the new format provided. The DVD promised to combine the video quality of a LaserDisc with the convenience of a small disc and a low cost. At the time I was paying from $25 to $50 per movie on LD.

For those like myself who had large-screen, high-performance, rear-projection televisions, we impatiently waited about two years for the format's commercial release. I purchased my first DVD player in February 1997, a few weeks before DVDs even became available. Playing early DVDs on my Pioneer 50" RPTV was a big thrill. Friends and relatives came to visit and marveled at all the detail on the screen.

Of course Blu-ray is superior, but a well-mastered anamorphic DVD can provide an excellent picture, especially when it is upscaled properly.
Of course a 720x480 image has more detail than what we were used to at the time. But once you get used to HD it doesn't cut it. You look in the background of an SD video and the detail just isn't there. I was all over DVDs when they were first released in the 90's. But I got my first HD set in 2001 and was also recording and time shifting most of my HD watching in 2001 too. I recorded a bunch of HD movies from ABC back then so I wouldn't have to look at the DVDs. So by 2005 I had already stopped watching DVDs in anticipation of the Disc HD formats being released in 2006.

It is extremely rare for me to watch a DVD now. Most recently I rented some of the Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman series and watched those DVDs. But that is a rare thing for me. I dumped my hundreds of DVDs many years ago. I donated them and just took a several thousand dollar write off instead of trying to sell them. At least that was better than when I got rid of my hundreds of VHS tapes in the year 2000. I just threw those in the trash.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-17-2015 at 05:36 PM.
aaronwt is offline  
post #556 of 2244 Old 06-17-2015, 09:19 PM
 
Alex F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhavs View Post
Alex, sorry for the delayed thanks for your help and follow-up question. Both theoretically, and in your own actual experience, what should be, or is, the ranking in picture and audio quality between Blu-ray, DVD, and cable broadcast. I'm of course assuming Blu-ray is always better than DVD (!), but where would TCM fall, for instance? If you had the choice of watching a movie broadcast on TCM or Blu-ray, which would you pick, or would it depend (B&W or color movie, genre of movie, model of Blu-ray player, etc.)? And then what about TCM or DVD?
You are welcome.

As for your query, I cannot give a ranking because it depends on the video and audio quality of the source being utilized.

Blu-ray has the potential to be the best available, and it usually does provide the highest quality. (I am not including the upcoming Ultra High-Definition format.) But some BDs are disasters. For example, the BD releases of A Bridge Too Far and 2010: Odyssey Two immediately come to mind. Yet I have seen both movies in superb HD on television. There are other BDs as well that are disappointing to a lesser degree.

The latest audio formats, which are typically provided on Blu-rays of recent movies, especially action films, are the best ever offered.

I cannot comment on cable TV because we gave up on Cablevision's terrible video quality in New Jersey back in 2002. We have enjoyed DirecTV since that time.

As for TCM, they often broadcast superb HD prints of films that are available for purchase on DVD only (and not available at all on Blu-ray). I probably watch TCM more than any other channel (with the exception of news and Major League Baseball games--I cannot live without DirecTV's MLB package that provides live HD coverage of practically every game).

To sum up, as stated earlier, what is best always depends on the quality of the original source. The quality of components utilized at the receiving end--our homes--is important, too, for the best possible video and audio reproduction.
Alex F. is offline  
post #557 of 2244 Old 06-17-2015, 10:15 PM
 
Alex F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Of course a 720x480 image has more detail than what we were used to at the time. But once you get used to HD it doesn't cut it. You look in the background of an SD video and the detail just isn't there. I was all over DVDs when they were first released in the 90's. But I got my first HD set in 2001 and was also recording and time shifting most of my HD watching in 2001 too. I recorded a bunch of HD movies from ABC back then so I wouldn't have to look at the DVDs. So by 2005 I had already stopped watching DVDs in anticipation of the Disc HD formats being released in 2006.

It is extremely rare for me to watch a DVD now. Most recently I rented some of the Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman series and watched those DVDs. But that is a rare thing for me. I dumped my hundreds of DVDs many years ago. I donated them and just took a several thousand dollar write off instead of trying to sell them. At least that was better than when I got rid of my hundreds of VHS tapes in the year 2000. I just threw those in the trash.
Even though we have a large collection of Blu-ray discs, we also enjoy watching our DVDs. Many of the films we have on DVD are unobtanium on BD or via streaming. I will not toss out those DVDs because (1) they look fine and (2) I am not willing to never see those movies ever again.
\
We will just have to accept that we have different viewpoints on DVDs.
jazzycat likes this.
Alex F. is offline  
post #558 of 2244 Old 06-18-2015, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
raymondeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: toronto canada
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
when is the s6500 for sale in canada?
raymondeast is offline  
post #559 of 2244 Old 06-18-2015, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,089
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Sony Playstation 3 vs Sony BDP-S5500

Here are my comparison pics (and my first attempt at a gif) between the Sony Playstation 3 and the Sony BDP-S5500. Except for a slight horizontal shift, there is ZERO picture quality difference between these two players.

Setup:
136" Carada Criterion 2.35:1 screen (roughly width of 144" 16:9/1.78:1 screen)
13' Viewing Distance
JVC RS46
Canon 70D, Identical exposures for comparison photos, tripod & Remote shooter.

I just wish the PS3 did Dolby TrueHD during 3D playback. The Blu-ray interface is so much nicer. The PS3 responds much faster, smoother FF & RW, 1.5x play...arg. Its almost enough to push me into a PS4...just for 3D+TrueHD (and games...eventually).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Comparison.gif
Views:	119
Size:	628.4 KB
ID:	782426   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5500-1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	782434   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS3-1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	782442   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5500-2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	782450   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS3-2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	782458  

Click image for larger version

Name:	S5500-3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	782466   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS3-3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	782474   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5500-4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	782482   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS3-4.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	782490  
dandiego likes this.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 06-18-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Dreamliner is offline  
post #560 of 2244 Old 06-19-2015, 03:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Famouss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Netflix only streams at 720p max when I check via the display button on the S5500, is there some setting that I am neglecting for it to stream at 1080p?

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
Famouss is offline  
post #561 of 2244 Old 06-19-2015, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,133
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5921
Whats your speed and HSI provider?

I get 1080p with 6mbps ATT DSL. I have found for awhile with the Sony's, if I have not hit 720p or 1080p by by 2 mins in, i simply stop it and restart it and then it ramps to 1080p quickly.

Every now and then a Netflix Original will not break 720p, but not sure if that is when they are new and high traffic. It's rare though.
JoeKustra likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #562 of 2244 Old 06-19-2015, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,705
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 448
I always tell people to run www.speedtest.com after 8pm. In the morning when traffic is light it's not a realistic measurement. Well, unless that's when you always watch your movies. I get 30Mbps at 7am every day. But starting about 6pm it drops until 8pm when it can drop to 4Mbps. My cable company is running new cables and amplifiers next week. It also helps if you can get a second opinion. I can test using my router, my Roku and two different PCs. Since I have a Netgear R7500, its "Dynamic QoS" can cause a drop of 2Mbps. So I don't enable it.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #563 of 2244 Old 06-19-2015, 06:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Famouss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Whats your speed and HSI provider?

I get 1080p with 6mbps ATT DSL. I have found for awhile with the Sony's, if I have not hit 720p or 1080p by by 2 mins in, i simply stop it and restart it and then it ramps to 1080p quickly.

Every now and then a Netflix Original will not break 720p, but not sure if that is when they are new and high traffic. It's rare though.
I have a download speed of around 17mbps with ATT. The show remained at a constant 720p for the few minutes I had it playing. Out of curiosity I tried playing the same show on my older BD player and it jumped to and remained at 1080p within a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I always tell people to run www.speedtest.com after 8pm. In the morning when traffic is light it's not a realistic measurement. Well, unless that's when you always watch your movies. I get 30Mbps at 7am every day. But starting about 6pm it drops until 8pm when it can drop to 4Mbps. My cable company is running new cables and amplifiers next week. It also helps if you can get a second opinion. I can test using my router, my Roku and two different PCs. Since I have a Netgear R7500, its "Dynamic QoS" can cause a drop of 2Mbps. So I don't enable it.
At night I usually hover at around 15mbps on my ADSL2+ connection.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD

Last edited by Famouss; 06-19-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Famouss is offline  
post #564 of 2244 Old 06-19-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,133
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5921
Try the jump out and jump back in trick next time.

The night Sense8 released I watched two at like 11pm and I never got over 720p. I figured it was traffic.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #565 of 2244 Old 06-19-2015, 07:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Famouss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Try the jump out and jump back in trick next time.

The night Sense8 released I watched two at like 11pm and I never got over 720p. I figured it was traffic.
I'll give it a go later and see how it goes.

Panasonic TC-P65VT60
Sony BDP-S5100
Elite PRO-101FD
Famouss is offline  
post #566 of 2244 Old 06-19-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,814
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
I'll be ordering either the 5500 or 6500 direct from Sony on Monday. I have a $50 credit from them so that will help on the price but I am stuck. Which one should I get? The 5500 or 6500? It will be replacing my broken down S6200. I know the 6500 has 4K upscale but since I aint going 4K thats not a big deal. Can anyone help me out here with some advise? Which one is better? I have until Monday to make up my mind.


steve1971 is offline  
post #567 of 2244 Old 06-19-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,089
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I'll be ordering either the 5500 or 6500 direct from Sony on Monday. I have a $50 credit from them so that will help on the price but I am stuck. Which one should I get? The 5500 or 6500? It will be replacing my broken down S6200. I know the 6500 has 4K upscale but since I aint going 4K thats not a big deal. Can anyone help me out here with some advise? Which one is better? I have until Monday to make up my mind.


Sometime this weekend, I plan to compare a disc or two on the PS3, S5500 & S6500. I want to know if the S6500 is actually better also.
ToonMasterTim and S_G7 like this.
Dreamliner is offline  
post #568 of 2244 Old 06-19-2015, 01:52 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,384
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Sony Playstation 3 vs Sony BDP-S5500

Here are my comparison pics (and my first attempt at a gif) between the Sony Playstation 3 and the Sony BDP-S5500. Except for a slight horizontal shift, there is ZERO picture quality difference between these two players.

Setup:
136" Carada Criterion 2.35:1 screen (roughly width of 144" 16:9/1.78:1 screen)
13' Viewing Distance
JVC RS46
Canon 70D, Identical exposures for comparison photos, tripod & Remote shooter.

I just wish the PS3 did Dolby TrueHD during 3D playback. The Blu-ray interface is so much nicer. The PS3 responds much faster, smoother FF & RW, 1.5x play...arg. Its almost enough to push me into a PS4...just for 3D+TrueHD (and games...eventually).
I'll take the BDP-s6500 for BD playback over my PS4 or XBOnes any day. I think the S6500 provides a superior experience than the PS4 or XBOne.

The last few nights I used my main S6500 to watch Chappie, Kingsmen-The Secret Service, and 3D Jupiter Ascending. It was easily a better experience than using my PS4 or XBOnes for BD playback.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-19-2015 at 01:56 PM.
aaronwt is offline  
post #569 of 2244 Old 06-19-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,089
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'll take the BDP-s6500 for BD playback over my PS4 or XBOnes any day. I think the S6500 provides a superior experience than the PS4 or XBOne.

The last few nights I used my main S6500 to watch Chappie, Kingsmen-The Secret Service, and 3D Jupiter Ascending. It was easily a better experience than using my PS4 or XBOnes for BD playback.
If that's true, then I expect to see an improvement with the S6500 over the S5500. Either that or the PS4 is WORSE than the PS3....or of course, its psychological.

As far as control goes, my PS3 handles FF and RW much smoother than the S5500, plus it has slow-mo and 1.5x to zip through special features...
Dreamliner is offline  
post #570 of 2244 Old 06-19-2015, 02:13 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,384
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
If that's true, then I expect to see an improvement with the S6500 over the S5500. Either that or the PS4 is WORSE than the PS3....or of course, its psychological.

As far as control goes, my PS3 handles FF and RW much smoother than the S5500, plus it has slow-mo and 1.5x to zip through special features...
No idea about slow-mo or FF/REW at 1.5x. Those are features I never use when watching a BD.

The noise from the PS4 BD transport alone is enough to disqualify a PS4 for me. Every PS4 I've ever seen has had a noisy BD disc player. The S6500 is very quiet in comparison.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-19-2015 at 02:17 PM.
aaronwt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
7.1 , bdp-s3500/5500 , bdp-s6500 , hdmi to s-video , pcm , S1500 , S4500 , sony bdp-s1500 , sony_bdp-s3500/5500 , sony_bd_player , Terminator 2 Judgment Day Skynet Edition Blu Ray

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off