Sony S1500/ S3500 / S4500 / S5500 / S6500 Blu-ray players - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1486Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 2244 Old 04-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Newbie
 
Globulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can anyone who has tried the BDP-S5500 in a quiet environment tell me a bit about the mechanical noise level of this thing?


I am aware that this is no more than a BD drive in a cheap enclosure with a few chips and ribbon cables to tie things together but the reason I am asking is because I once tried a BDP-S1100 where the drive bearings(?) would emit a high-pitched noise ("humming", if you will). Similar, cheap construction, but that does not mean that it affects all units, let alone BDP-S5500 which is a couple of years younger.


I expect and can accept the sound of the disc spinning around. Even a little noise if the disc is not perfectly balanced. I also expect plenty of noise when the drive speeds up in order to load menus and such. But I cannot accept noise from the bearings when a movie is playing.


My cheap, old Philips upscaling DVD player is virtually silent and I would expect a BD player to be the same.


What's the verdict on BDP-S5500 where this is concerned?
Globulus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 2244 Old 04-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Newbie
 
Globulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I currently have a Sony BDP-S360 (ca. 2008). I never really used it much when I first got it but I recently purchased a Sony W905A TV with Quantum Dot/Triluminos tech + 3D and I recently purchased a rather large number of Blu-ray discs so I was contemplating buying a newer player, such as the BDP-S5500.


Question is: Is it worth it? Never mind the Smart TV features. Yes, I will get 3D but I do not expect to watch that many 3D titles. Yes, I have a few "Mastered in 4K" titles in my collection but does a newer player really make much of a difference on my TV even though the player - like my TV - supports Triluminos? I am talking about the vast majority of non-optimized(?) titles as well as the fact that I am using a slightly modified Cinema profile on my TV which means that I am not sure I would be taking advantage of all of the extra colors my TV is capable of displaying.


Bottom line is: Would BDP-S5500 provide a significant jump in image quality compared to my BDP-S360 or is any BD as good as any other when playing BD discs that have not been "optimized" for any particular technology?
Globulus is offline  
post #63 of 2244 Old 04-10-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,704
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globulus View Post
I expect and can accept the sound of the disc spinning around. Even a little noise if the disc is not perfectly balanced. I also expect plenty of noise when the drive speeds up in order to load menus and such. But I cannot accept noise from the bearings when a movie is playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globulus View Post
Question is: Is it worth it?
Bottom line is: Would BDP-S5500 provide a significant jump in image quality compared to my BDP-S360 or is any BD as good as any other when playing BD discs that have not been "optimized" for any particular technology?
Since you are very value conscious, my answer would probably be: Get the lowest price. I just retired my S570 for a S6200. The S570 was dropping its internet access a lot and was getting noisy. The S6200 (plastic case?) is silent. There is a reduction in internet features, but nothing to worry about in 99% of the world. The S5500 is smaller and I'm sure it's quieter. But may be overkill for your desires. Perhaps a comparison on the Sony Store web site would help you decide. http://store.sony.com/streaming-blu-...ay-DVD-Players Good Luck.
JoeKustra is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 2244 Old 04-10-2015, 09:39 AM
Newbie
 
Globulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Since you are very value conscious, my answer would probably be: Get the lowest price. I just retired my S570 for a S6200. The S570 was dropping its internet access a lot and was getting noisy. The S6200 (plastic case?) is silent. There is a reduction in internet features, but nothing to worry about in 99% of the world. The S5500 is smaller and I'm sure it's quieter. But may be overkill for your desires. Perhaps a comparison on the Sony Store web site would help you decide. http://store.sony.com/streaming-blu-...ay-DVD-Players Good Luck.

I only tried the S1100 because I got it really cheaply in a clearance sale but I just had to return it because of the unacceptable humming noise. I did not like the "sense of quarts" design of the 2013 or 2014 models (including S1100) so I was pleased to see that Sony had gone back to a simpler design.


Actually, the price difference between S1500 and S5500 is neglible and the S6200 is only slightly more than the S5500 so this is less a question about money than a question about whether I would be happier with the S5500 than what I already have.


Although I mentioned that Smart TV features were of less importance to me I have to admit that I would like to have an external box providing these features. If I use an app on my TV - Netflix or even the simple USB media player - the TV will quit that app if a recording is about to start. Not only that, but it is annoying having to quit an app in order to watch some flow TV for a few minutes and then have to navigate back to the app and whatever was playing afterwards. Much easier to use an external box for apps and just switch between channels/inputs on the TV itself. However great the Sony W905A is, this was not well thought out.


However, any humming noise from the unit when playing BD discs would be a deal killer. I guess I just have to try it and make use of the shop's generous return policy if need be.
Globulus is offline  
post #65 of 2244 Old 04-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Member
 
S_G7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 37
For owners of the 5500, any opinions on the DVD upscaling? Is it on par with the great upscaling found on the 790/6200/7200 players?
S_G7 is offline  
post #66 of 2244 Old 04-10-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,704
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globulus View Post
However, any humming noise from the unit when playing BD discs would be a deal killer. I guess I just have to try it and make use of the shop's generous return policy if need be.
I think you would be happy with the S5500. It took 5 years of normal to light use before my S570 began to fail. Blu-ray was OK but a regular DVD gave me that buzzing you spoke of. I'm waiting for the S6500 since SACD is important to me. I am sort of bummed out because Sony dropped the 5GHz WiFi. I wonder why they didn't do that to the 2014 televisions also especially since they seem to have added an internet focus to their features. My area is pretty rural yet I have 6 known WiFi telephones or devices using 5Ghz show up on a scan.
JoeKustra is online now  
post #67 of 2244 Old 04-10-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
Remember that these relatively inexpensive players all use the cheapest possible BD drive mechanisms, and assembly is not always very good. In other words, mechanical sounds can and do vary from one unit to another. If the one you get initially is too noisy, try another one. Also, some people have been able to reduce the noise by opening them up (unplugged from the wall power, of course!) and tightening their internal mounting screws.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #68 of 2244 Old 04-10-2015, 06:57 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,317
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8913 Post(s)
Liked: 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Remember that these relatively inexpensive players all use the cheapest possible BD drive mechanisms, and assembly is not always very good. In other words, mechanical sounds can and do vary from one unit to another. If the one you get initially is too noisy, try another one. Also, some people have been able to reduce the noise by opening them up (unplugged from the wall power, of course!) and tightening their internal mounting screws.
So they don't have the fully enclosed drives like the S6200 and S5100 had? Those drives were supposed to keep out the dust as well as be fairly quiet.

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--45TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #69 of 2244 Old 04-10-2015, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G7 View Post
For owners of the 5500, any opinions on the DVD upscaling? Is it on par with the great upscaling found on the 790/6200/7200 players?
The s5500 is equivalent to the non SBM players with only basic picture settings. So the older 590, 5100, 5200 players.
S_G7 likes this.
apw2607 is offline  
post #70 of 2244 Old 04-10-2015, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So they don't have the fully enclosed drives like the S6200 and S5100 had? Those drives were supposed to keep out the dust as well as be fairly quiet.
These new players are exactly the same. The player makes a bunch of noise on initial spin up and then they are quiet enough.
apw2607 is offline  
post #71 of 2244 Old 04-10-2015, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I think you would be happy with the S5500. It took 5 years of normal to light use before my S570 began to fail. Blu-ray was OK but a regular DVD gave me that buzzing you spoke of. I'm waiting for the S6500 since SACD is important to me. I am sort of bummed out because Sony dropped the 5GHz WiFi. I wonder why they didn't do that to the 2014 televisions also especially since they seem to have added an internet focus to their features. My area is pretty rural yet I have 6 known WiFi telephones or devices using 5Ghz show up on a scan.
Cost.
apw2607 is offline  
post #72 of 2244 Old 04-11-2015, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Borneo Island
Posts: 3,039
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
How's mkv playback? flawless?
Skylinestar is offline  
post #73 of 2244 Old 04-11-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
How's mkv playback? flawless?
Exactly the same as before. TrueHd not supported and roll the dice reliability. The only good this is the player will output the files as 1080p/24.
apw2607 is offline  
post #74 of 2244 Old 04-12-2015, 01:24 AM
Newbie
 
Globulus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought the BDP-S5500 yesterday but it is probably going back tomorrow.


Some of the negatives:


- No apps out of the box. A 20MB download (followed by a 100MB one?) fixed this problem. Note that a factory reset (All Settings) does not make those apps go away again so you cannot actually bring the unit back to the way you got it. Well, maybe you can, but I did not investigate any further.


- Navigation within apps is really slow. Same as my Sony TV. Possibly even slower. This is on a wired internet connection with plenty of bandwidth.


- First deal breaker: Build quality is really poor. The drive assembly itself appears to be a few pieces of plastic snapped together. Most of the chassis is thin metal and the front piece is plastic. Remove two screws at the back to slide off the top cover. Four taps keep the front piece in place. No hidden screws. The construction would not really be a problem if it was not for the cheap drive assembly itself, which is far noisier than that of my older DVD and BD players. This noise is then passed on to the flimsy chassis which only serves to enhance it. Using a single finger to gently push on the top of the chassis in various places would basically cut the noise in half. I tightened whatever screws I found inside but there weren't really any problems there. I dared not take the drive assembly apart so I just inserted a felt pad between the top of the drive and the chassis (as opposed to placing a heavy object on top of the chassis itself). This helped a bit, but still no competition for my older (also cheap) players in the noise department.


- Second deal breaker: I've got a large collection videos downloaded from YouTube. Many of these are in VP8 format or (older ones) use the Ogg Vorbis audio format. My old NeoTV 550 media player (Sigma 8642) cannot handle these files but my Sony W905 TV (2013) can so I had hoped the media player in BDP-S5500 would be able to handle those as well. This was not the case, even after the update. One of the reasons for buying the BDP-S5500 was to have an external media player so I would not have to use the one in my TV which frequently would be interrupted by scheduled recordings - or where I would have to stop the media player app in order to watch a few minutes of flow TV. Also related to the media player, it does not play back DVD ISO rips. I did not really expect it to given that my Sony W905A does not do so either but I thought I would mention it. My NeoTV 550 plays back DVD ISO rips with menus and everything but the Sony media players won't even list the ISO files.


- Third deal breaker (well, almost): DVD upscaling is so-so. Perhaps a bit better than my old, upscaling Philips DVD player, but if so, not by much. Certainly not as good as the upscaling performed by my old NeoTV 550. I've got a large collection of DVDs I will be going through over the next few years and I had hoped to use a single player for DVDs and BDs alike but if I have to suffer more drive noise, the image quality had better be worth it, but as far as I can tell, this is not the case. I might just end up ripping my DVDs and use the NeoTV but I had hoped to reduce the number of boxes under my TV.


- No LED display. I knew that already and I can live with using the Display button on the remote to check where I am in a movie, but still... It is a bit amazing that a few years ago you could buy a 43 cm DVD player with better build quality, a better remote, a display, etc. Nowadays such a design is reserved for the very highest end players.


- No USB port(s) on the back. Again, something I already knew, but still something I think should be addressed on the lower-end players. If you want to use the unit as a media player with local media, i.e. a pen drive or external HD as opposed to pulling media from the network, it would be better to have the port on the back - or at least a back port in addition to the front port.


- The remote is almost too tiny. Compared to the one for BDP-S360 they removed the numeric buttons, the Time and Angle buttons, squeezed the rest of the buttons together, made them flatter, replaced AA batteries with AAA, and removed much of the non-button portion of the remote. I suppose this is a remote for the Smart Phone generation, i.e. making it easier to reach all of buttons just by moving your thumb. I can see the value in that, but I still think the remote is too small and the buttons too cramped together.


- Nit picking: Netflix button uses red text on a white background. Why would they reverse the colors?


On the positive side, disc loading is very fast compared to older players, though I found that much of this improvement was negated by the non-skippable elements one has to go through - esp. on older titles.


Despite the lackluster DVD upscaling and the fact that it does not look as if this would be my go-to media player, I would probably have kept it and used it as my DVD/BD player because of its speed and its 3D BD support but I just cannot accept the noise and I am not going to go through several more units, hoping to find one that might be slightly better in that area.


I might just end up looking somewhere else. I mainly went for Sony because I felt it would integrate better with my Sony TV.
Spock1234 and ToonMasterTim like this.
Globulus is offline  
post #75 of 2244 Old 04-12-2015, 03:55 AM
Member
 
zhenya00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up the S5500 this week, but have a few issues.


Playing back mp4 files from my network works, except whenever I press pause, it skips to near the beginning of the file on resume.


In Netflix, how do I choose to start a program over rather than resuming it from its present position? It seems to just default to wherever I was last, and the only way I can figure to get back to the beginning is to rewind it manually.
zhenya00 is offline  
post #76 of 2244 Old 04-12-2015, 06:12 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,317
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8913 Post(s)
Liked: 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globulus View Post
..................
- No USB port(s) on the back. Again, something I already knew, but still something I think should be addressed on the lower-end players. If you want to use the unit as a media player with local media, i.e. a pen drive or external HD as opposed to pulling media from the network, it would be better to have the port on the back - or at least a back port in addition to the front port.


.................
There used to be a front and rear USB port on the S5100 in 2013. On the S5200 in 2014, they eliminated the rear USB port. Which is one of the reasons I got the S6200 then. So the S5500 just continues with only the front USB port. I wonder what they will cut from the S6500?

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--45TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-12-2015 at 07:14 AM.
aaronwt is online now  
post #77 of 2244 Old 04-12-2015, 06:40 AM
 
jsmiddleton4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 4,945
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Not looking good for this round of Sony bluray players.

Sony keeps announcing bluray sales going down, etc., well gee, sell crappy cheap players and guess what?

I don't get it.

Seen the S790 in the Oppo 103 price range. Why would I not buy the Oppo if I'm going to spend hundreds?

Clearly there's a market for solid well performing bluray players. Sony continues to bewilder.
jsmiddleton4 is offline  
post #78 of 2244 Old 04-15-2015, 04:45 AM
Member
 
psychobunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Why are you guys spending money on blu ray players now when 4K ultr HD is only a few months away from being on store shelevs?
psychobunny is offline  
post #79 of 2244 Old 04-15-2015, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4807 Post(s)
Liked: 2844
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Why are you guys spending money on blu ray players now when 4K ultr HD is only a few months away from being on store shelevs?
Some people would like to watch movies now.

We don't actually know if or when 4K players will be released or even if they'll be backward compatible. The UHD BD standard hasn't even been finalized. Everything so far has been just rumor. Panasonic has demo'd a pre-production unit, but plenty of companies have done that for (non-4K) equipment which never made it to market.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #80 of 2244 Old 04-15-2015, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 11,784
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Why are you guys spending money on blu ray players now when 4K ultr HD is only a few months away from being on store shelevs?
That's what they told us last year. And now all they can say is to finalize the 4K spec this summer. I will believe them when I finally see them on store shelves. Then you will have to avoid the 1st gen products and wait for 2nd or 3rd gen when they iron out the bugs and made it faster and cheaper. So, that's another couple years down the road if it happened according to plan.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #81 of 2244 Old 04-15-2015, 06:35 AM
Member
 
psychobunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
That's what they told us last year. And now all they can say is to finalize the 4K spec this summer. I will believe them when I finally see them on store shelves. Then you will have to avoid the 1st gen products and wait for 2nd or 3rd gen when they iron out the bugs and made it faster and cheaper. So, that's another couple years down the road if it happened according to plan.
Good point. I am reading a lot of mixed reports. Bottom line, wait and see!
I agree, dont want a 1st gen, not a 'first adopter' anymore! been burned too many times.
My general experience with blu ray players the last few years is that they dont last much longer
then a year anyway!!
Disposable consummer electronics
psychobunny is offline  
post #82 of 2244 Old 04-15-2015, 09:44 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,317
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8913 Post(s)
Liked: 5696
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
Why are you guys spending money on blu ray players now when 4K ultr HD is only a few months away from being on store shelevs?
Even if they do actually come out this year, a big investment in equipment is still needed. Because everything in the video and audio chain will need 2.2 HDCP and HDMI 2.0. So everything needs to be upgraded.

I just purchased a Denon 4520 receiver next year. So I don't plan on getting another receiver anytime soon. And then I currently have an 82" DLP set in my main setup. I would need the UHD sets to be at a decent price, for at least an 84" set, before I get one in my main setup.

While the new UHD Vizio sets make some great strides, with an 80" UHD set costing $4K. That is still too small for me and also much more than I would want to pay. After I spent close to $4K for my first 1080P set in 2005, I swore I would never spend anywhere near that much money for a TV ever again.(My 82" DLP was under $1500 back in 2012)
audiofan1 likes this.

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--45TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
post #83 of 2244 Old 04-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Member
 
psychobunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Even if they do actually come out this year, a big investment in equipment is still needed. Because everything in the video and audio chain will need 2.2 HDCP and HDMI 2.0. So everything needs to be upgraded.

I just purchased a Denon 4520 receiver next year. So I don't plan on getting another receiver anytime soon. And then I currently have an 82" DLP set in my main setup. I would need the UHD sets to be at a decent price, for at least an 84" set, before I get one in my main setup.

While the new UHD Vizio sets make some great strides, with an 80" UHD set costing $4K. That is still too small for me and also much more than I would want to pay. After I spent close to $4K for my first 1080P set in 2005, I swore I would never spend anywhere near that much money for a TV ever again.(My 82" DLP was under $1500 back in 2012)

Hmmm, maybe the audio/video industry thinks they need a major $$$ transfusion!! lets face it, BD players are not exactly flying off the shelves anymore,
and everyone who is inclinded to, already has upgraded to HD displays.
Enter 4K !!
psychobunny is offline  
post #84 of 2244 Old 04-15-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 11,784
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 473
That's what they are hopping for, seeing that 3D didn't really pan out.


However, until Hollywood jump on the wagon releasing most of its movies in UHD format, it is still a pipe dream. You can have all your 4K equipment ready, but it won't do you any good with zero 4K contents as it is today.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #85 of 2244 Old 04-15-2015, 10:57 AM
Member
 
psychobunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
That's what they are hopping for, seeing that 3D didn't really pan out.


However, until Hollywood jump on the wagon releasing most of its movies in UHD format, it is still a pipe dream. You can have all your 4K equipment ready, but it won't do you any good with zero 4K contents as it is today.
I would think that Hollywood would love a slice of the 4K pie. Remix the remixed old movies to 4k and charge 39.99 a pop. Cable manufacturers can have a slice too; Ultra-Speed 4K
Digital Flash Cables - 199.99 per meter
psychobunny is offline  
post #86 of 2244 Old 04-15-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 11,784
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Nope, they are more worried about copy protection than quality.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #87 of 2244 Old 04-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Member
 
psychobunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
Nope, they are more worried about copy protection than quality.
Maybe so, took them a while to feel comfortable even with DVD several years ago, and I remember how Spielberg was scared to death of piracy
psychobunny is offline  
post #88 of 2244 Old 04-16-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cuzzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pearland, Texas
Posts: 1,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I'm confused about one thing regarding this player. It is advertised as having 300+ streaming apps, but I'm counting less than 80. Is there something that has to be done to unlock the other apps or something?

cuzzin is offline  
post #89 of 2244 Old 04-16-2015, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Foxbat121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 11,784
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 473
If I remembered correctly, Sony adds up all the different apps it offers in different countries. You can't really get all of them.
Foxbat121 is online now  
post #90 of 2244 Old 04-17-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 8,704
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
I'm confused about one thing regarding this player. It is advertised as having 300+ streaming apps, but I'm counting less than 80. Is there something that has to be done to unlock the other apps or something?
Maybe they include Opera?
JoeKustra is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
7.1 , bdp-s3500/5500 , bdp-s6500 , hdmi to s-video , pcm , S1500 , S4500 , sony bdp-s1500 , sony_bdp-s3500/5500 , sony_bd_player , Terminator 2 Judgment Day Skynet Edition Blu Ray

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off