Sony S1500/ S3500 / S4500 / S5500 / S6500 Blu-ray players - Page 64 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1486Likes

post #1891 of 2246 Old 07-22-2016, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Does anyone know what remote programming code will work with the 6500 and Verizon Fios Philips RC 1445302 remote?

I have tried every Sony code and tried manually but without success.

Also, If turn off the quick start feature the player will lock up and not turn back on. I have to unplug the power cable and keep power cycling it until it turns on. Then if I turn the quick start feature on it works properly. Any idea what might be causing it? Should I just leave quick start on? I hate wasting power to save a few seconds of boot up time.

Last edited by beekermartin; 07-22-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 2246 Old 07-22-2016, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
Just purchased the 6500. Great unit. It was time for an upgrade.
My question is this
I have the sony receiver 1060. What audio setting do you have the 6500 under (SETTINGS) - (Audio settings) - Dolby D Compatible Output? ON OR OFF??
Also how do i know if its actually using all 7 speakers. I have it setup 5.1 but the other 2 i used for front high. I played Tron last night which is a 7.1 movie and i couldnt hear anything coming out of the speakers

The speaker pattern is setup correctly on the receiver and i also did a test tone just to make sure there was a signal passing through. Am i doing something wrong?? And advice is greatly appreciated thanks all

Johnny
From the manual:
[Dolby D Compatible Output]
[On]: Converts DTS audio source to
Dolby Digital audio by using EDID
(Extended Display Identification Data).
[Off]: Turns off the function.

I assume your receiver can handle a DTS signal so I would say to turn that feature off. In terms of the two height channels not working that may also have to do with your receiver settings. Does Tron have an Atmos track or is it a standard 7.1 disc. Standard 7.1 is the regular 5.1 but with 2 back channels not height channels. You would have to use a special sound mode in your receiver for it to mix in the height channels. Again, if you have an Atmos capable receiver and those are what you are using the height channels for then what I posted above does not apply.
post #1893 of 2246 Old 07-22-2016, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
From the manual:
[Dolby D Compatible Output]
[On]: Converts DTS audio source to
Dolby Digital audio by using EDID
(Extended Display Identification Data).
[Off]: Turns off the function.

I assume your receiver can handle a DTS signal so I would say to turn that feature off. In terms of the two height channels not working that may also have to do with your receiver settings. Does Tron have an Atmos track or is it a standard 7.1 disc. Standard 7.1 is the regular 5.1 but with 2 back channels not height channels. You would have to use a special sound mode in your receiver for it to mix in the height channels. Again, if you have an Atmos capable receiver and those are what you are using the height channels for then what I posted above does not apply.
Oh ok. Then its a no go on the front height. Ill remove them then. Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1894 of 2246 Old 07-22-2016, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
Oh ok. Then its a no go on the front height. Ill remove them then. Thanks for the input.
If your receiver has front height speakers than it will have sound modes that will use them. Like Dolby IIX does with a 5.1 signal making it use my 2 back channels speakers for a 7.1 output. Look into the receiver's capabilities before you remove them.

Last edited by beekermartin; 07-22-2016 at 07:18 PM.
post #1895 of 2246 Old 07-22-2016, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone know what remote programming code will work with the 6500 and Verizon Fios Philips RC 1445302 remote?

I have tried every Sony code and tried manually but without success.

Also, If turn off the quick start feature the player will lock up and not turn back on. I have to unplug the power cable and keep power cycling it until it turns on. Then if I turn the quick start feature on it works properly. Any idea what might be causing it? Should I just leave quick start on? I hate wasting power to save a few seconds of boot up time.
I just spent 20 minutes with Sony chat tech support. Essentially the told me the player is defective and would need to be sent in for repair. It works find with quick start turned on but locks up solid with it off.

I am going to check how much power it uses in standby mode with quick start turned on.
post #1896 of 2246 Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9526 Post(s)
Liked: 6217
Quote:
I just spent 20 minutes with Sony chat tech support. Essentially the told me the player is defective and would need to be sent in for repair. It works find with quick start turned on but locks up solid with it off.

I am going to check how much power it uses in standby mode with quick start turned on.
I think it only uses around 12 watts when on. Standby shouldn't use too much.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1897 of 2246 Old 07-22-2016, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just checked the power usage using a Killawatt meter.

While playing a bluray disc it averages 6 watts.
While playing a DVD-R disc it averages 5 watts.
While streaming a show on Netflix it averages 5 watts.
While powered off with quick start enabled it averages 4 watts.
While powered off with quick start disabled it averages 0 watts. My player locks up after turning it off with quick start turned off so I don't know if that is an accurate measurement.

I am amazed how much this player does with such lower power usage. I wish the standby with quick start enabled was lower but it isn't terrible. Keep in mind 4 watts 24 hours a day 365 days a year still isn't much but that is power that doesn't need to be wasted. I wish my player worked with the quick start feature disabled so I could see how long it takes for it to boot up. With it enabled it boots instantly which makes sense since it is using almost the same power in standby as it does while being used.
aaronwt likes this.
post #1898 of 2246 Old 07-22-2016, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
If your receiver has front height speakers than it will have sound modes that will use them. Like Dolby IIX does with a 5.1 signal making it use my 2 back channels speakers for a 7.1 output. Look into the receiver's capabilities before you remove them.

Will do @beekermartin thanks. I appreciate it
mgriff102 likes this.
post #1899 of 2246 Old 07-23-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone else had issues with the player locking up if quick start is deactivated?

Also, I noticed severe lip sync issues while streaming on Netflix. I am running directly to the tv. No receiver or sound bar. I tried streaming it using the tv app and there was no lip sync issues. I also had no issues on my laptop at the same time. So I know the issue is not Netflix. Essentially the audio is approximately one second behind the video. It is extremely obvious and very annoying. I tried everything I can think of and nothing helped. I am starting to think this player is a dude and I should return it to the seller on eBay.

Last edited by beekermartin; 07-23-2016 at 09:02 AM.
post #1900 of 2246 Old 07-23-2016, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Has anyone else had issues with the player locking up if quick start is deactivated?

Also, I noticed severe lip sync issues while streaming on Netflix. I am running directly to the tv. No receiver or sound bar. I tried streaming it using the tv app and there was no lip sync issues. I also had no issues on my laptop at the same time. So I know the issue is not Netflix. Essentially the audio is approximately one second behind the video. It is extremely obvious and very annoying. I tried everything I can think of and nothing helped. I am starting to think this player is a dude and I should return it to the seller on eBay.
Return it. There was a time when the unit would lock up if you enabled quick start. That was back in the S570 days. I never enable quick start or automatic updates on anything. It starts up pretty quick anyway.
post #1901 of 2246 Old 07-23-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
Return it. There was a time when the unit would lock up if you enabled quick start. That was back in the S570 days. I never enable quick start or automatic updates on anything. It starts up pretty quick anyway.
I probably will return it. I am talking with the eBay seller now.

I never enable quick start either. I don't mind waiting the extra few seconds. I hate wasting power in stand by. I spent hours getting my home theater setup down to ~40 watts in standby. It was over ~160 watts before I rewired it. Those 40 watts are the main Verizon cable box (which needs to be on for the cable boxes in other rooms to work), a network switch, a Slingbox and two Emotiva amps in standby. The rest of the other devices are cut from power completely when the Marantz 8801 is turned off.
post #1902 of 2246 Old 07-23-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I probably will return it. I am talking with the eBay seller now.

I never enable quick start either. I don't mind waiting the extra few seconds. I hate wasting power in stand by. I spent hours getting my home theater setup down to ~40 watts in standby. It was over ~160 watts before I rewired it. Those 40 watts are the main Verizon cable box (which needs to be on for the cable boxes in other rooms to work), a network switch, a Slingbox and two Emotiva amps in standby. The rest of the other devices are cut from power completely when the Marantz 8801 is turned off.
I have a Kill-A-Watt also. Very good tool. To run my system, just watching TV, takes almost 600 Watts. Everything uses a UPS. I have two TiVo boxes that run 24/7, but their idea of standby is a joke.

Since I have a rather odd living arrangement, I know that my hot water uses 3KWh per day. My fridge uses 2KWh per day. My use right now with the A/C running is still under 20KWh per day. During the few quiet months without heat or A/C, I need 10KWh per day. My electric company has on-line usage down to the hour, and I monitor two houses. It's hard to believe a 40" TV can use 45 Watts and weigh under 20 pounds. Best way to save money: use LED bulbs.
post #1903 of 2246 Old 07-23-2016, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have a Kill-A-Watt also. Very good tool. To run my system, just watching TV, takes almost 600 Watts. Everything uses a UPS. I have two TiVo boxes that run 24/7, but their idea of standby is a joke.

Since I have a rather odd living arrangement, I know that my hot water uses 3KWh per day. My fridge uses 2KWh per day. My use right now with the A/C running is still under 20KWh per day. During the few quiet months without heat or A/C, I need 10KWh per day. My electric company has on-line usage down to the hour, and I monitor two houses. It's hard to believe a 40" TV can use 45 Watts and weigh under 20 pounds. Best way to save money: use LED bulbs.
I have done everything I can do to lower my usage. All LED or CFL bulbs, Hybrid hot water heater, energy star appliances, etc, and I still used over 1300 KWh last month. My central A/C is 30 years old which is a big reason but I also have electric for everything. No natural gas or city water out in the sticks where I live so I use more than most people. One thing that amazed me was the difference between a 60" panasonic VT60 and a 55" LG OLED! The OLED uses under 100 watts and averages around 60. The VT60 uses close to 400 watts!
JoeKustra likes this.

Last edited by beekermartin; 07-23-2016 at 11:01 AM.
post #1904 of 2246 Old 07-23-2016, 03:28 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
My TiVo Bolts and Roamios stop spinning the hard drives standby(while nothing is recording). In normal use the Bolt draws 16 watts, even when feeding client boxes. In standby it uses 12 watts.
If you think the TiVos are a joke then try the FiOS or Comcast boxes. That will change your mind. The TiVo is much more efficient.

post #1905 of 2246 Old 07-24-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Some of the newer Comcast boxes are better. I have a newer DCX-3400M that I can tell uses less power. It also has a standby mode that shuts down the drives if you enable it. On a recent power outage, the UPS powered it for the full 1:15. The older DCT-6412p2 I had before would typically last only about 45-50 minutes.
post #1906 of 2246 Old 07-24-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My TiVo Bolts and Roamios stop spinning the hard drives standby(while nothing is recording). In normal use the Bolt draws 16 watts, even when feeding client boxes. In standby it uses 12 watts.
If you think the TiVos are a joke then try the FiOS or Comcast boxes. That will change your mind. The TiVo is much more efficient.
Perhaps I'm asking too much. Funny, we had this same discussion last year: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10607969
If the TiVo power dropped to 5W I would consider it a great savings. The new AV Green drives draw so little. I have 1TB in one box and 3TB in another box. The 3TB box gets put into standby since it's only used for about two hours a day but does do recording at night. The new drive jumped my MBT by 3C. A new 1TB drive in the other box dropped the MBT by 3C.

But anyhow, The S6500 has never had a lockup for me. I am a light user and I see the extra few seconds it needs to power up and make the network connection. Until I see that I wait before closing the disk door. It's similar to my Sony TV. I get a picture when it powers on, but it's not really 100% for about 30 seconds.
post #1907 of 2246 Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Well after spending two week's now with my 6500 in my HT rack and playing everything I can throw at it I will say it was money well spent and I have no regrets re-placing my 5500 with it. Load times are super fast, Blu ray and dvd playback is flawless and streaming is super. It's everything I could have wanted and asked for in a Blu ray player so far. Paired with my Sony 55inch W900A its a match made in heaven! LOL.
yanks1 likes this.
post #1908 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1040 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Need help; Sony S6500 audio fades in & out w/Dolby Atmos

I was excited to purchase a Sony S6500 Bluray player;

Folks here told me this 2015 model can read & decode Dolby Atmos discs fine unlike my 3-4 year old Panny Blu-ray players which struggled with audio cutting in & out paired w/my Yamaha A2050 AVR.

Well... Played Mission Impossible "Rouge Nation" last night.. first 30 minutes of movie was fine. But then next 30-40 minutes the audio was fading in & out. So you think this is a S6500 issue or with my bluray disc itself?? And no, I haven't tried another Atmos disc yet, but I do have several more including the newest Mad Max

thanks... I am frustrated
post #1909 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
I was excited to purchase a Sony S6500 Bluray player;

Folks here told me this 2015 model can read & decode Dolby Atmos discs fine unlike my 3-4 year old Panny Blu-ray players which struggled with audio cutting in & out paired w/my Yamaha A2050 AVR.

Well... Played Mission Impossible "Rouge Nation" last night.. first 30 minutes of movie was fine. But then next 30-40 minutes the audio was fading in & out. So you think this is a S6500 issue or with my bluray disc itself?? And no, I haven't tried another Atmos disc yet, but I do have several more including the newest Mad Max

thanks... I am frustrated
The 6500 does not decode ATMOS. You should send the signal as a "BITSTREAM" to your receiver. It's up to the receiver to do the decoding. I doubt this is a S6500 problem if you are indeed bit streaming, since the player sends the signal "as is".

I was so happy without HDR...
post #1910 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sony S1500/ S3500 / S4500 / S5500 / S6500 Blu-ray players

Ok, thanks. I will check my S6500 settings but I was told the player still needs to be able to send the correct audio signal to the AVR

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s

Last edited by yanks1; 08-17-2016 at 11:49 AM.
post #1911 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not sure which audio setting to change to "bitstream". Pix below are my current S6500 settings and my Yamaha A2050 is set to "straight" per instructions to read/decode the Atmos signal. Any help would be appreciated

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #1912 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 773

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I will check my S6500 settings but I was told the player still needs to be able to send the correct audio signal to the AVR
That's correct, what slimoli is saying is that the S6500 must be set to BITSTREAM (which is not the default setting) to send the ATMOS signal to the receiver. (Whats actually happening is BITSTREAM is telling your player to pass along the untouched audio signal to the receiver for decoding, which is a requirement for ATMOS.)

Side note: You said the audio was "fading in & out" but also said your old Panasonic was "cutting in & out". Is the Sony doing the same thing as your Panasonic? If so you might have a receiver issue...

Quote:
Not sure which audio setting to change to "bitstream". Pix below are my current S6500 settings and my Yamaha A2050 is set to "straight" per instructions to read/decode the Atmos signal. Any help would be appreciated.
These are the correct settings to use:

Tip, shut off BD Internet Connection in the BD/DVD Viewing Settings menu. This will stop some discs from loading movie trailers and get you to the title menu faster.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 08-17-2016 at 12:04 PM.
post #1913 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thx; how about the last one that ask for downmix; Stereo or surround or doesn't matter?? Thanks again

post #1914 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Stereo
yanks1 likes this.
post #1915 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 12:35 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Not sure which audio setting to change to "bitstream". Pix below are my current S6500 settings and my Yamaha A2050 is set to "straight" per instructions to read/decode the Atmos signal. Any help would be appreciated

Digital music enchancer decodes the 5.1 audio and then re-encodes to legacy 5.1 DD. You might want to turn that off.

I used to use it with streaming DD+ content to avoid an issue my receiver had with decoding DD+.
yanks1 likes this.

post #1916 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Digital music enchancer decodes the 5.1 audio and then re-encodes to legacy 5.1 DD. You might want to turn that off.

I used to use it with streaming DD+ content to avoid an issue my receiver had with decoding DD+.
From a Sony press release:

" In addition, the BDP-S6200 has a Digital Music Enhancer which combines Sony’s proprietary audio technologies to restore those subtle high frequency details that get lost when listening to heavily-compressed digital music files and also restores lost dynamics in low-bit rate audio tracks for a more spacious, natural listening and viewing experience."

Sent from my Nexus 5X
post #1917 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 12:57 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
From a Sony press release:

" In addition, the BDP-S6200 has a Digital Music Enhancer which combines Sony’s proprietary audio technologies to restore those subtle high frequency details that get lost when listening to heavily-compressed digital music files and also restores lost dynamics in low-bit rate audio tracks for a more spacious, natural listening and viewing experience."

Sent from my Nexus 5X
Yes. It decodes the audio and re-encodes it. If you have it selected for music it will still affect your streaming video content by decoding the 5.1 DD+ stream and output 5.1 DD instead.

I only used it when I had a problem with a receiver decoding DD+. Which I think was fixed. I preferred the sound of the unmodified 5.1 DD+ stream with video content

post #1918 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I did all the settings as suggested; and Audio still cutting in & out at times about 30 mins into movie so I stopped it. I will contact Yamaha & ensure my AVR settings are correct. But they must be because first 25 mins the movie is fine and AVR screen reads Dolby Atmos (even when audio fades out)

post #1919 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
I did all the settings as suggested; and Audio still cutting in & out at times about 30 mins into movie so I stopped it. I will contact Yamaha & ensure my AVR settings are correct. But they must be because first 25 mins the movie is fine and AVR screen reads Dolby Atmos (even when audio fades out)
Is it cutting/fading out the same as your Panasonic you mentioned earlier?

Is it cutting (immediate) or fading (gradual)?
yanks1 likes this.
post #1920 of 2246 Old 08-17-2016, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 334
yanks1

You probably have a bad disc. Try another Atmos disc, all the Game of Thrones BD from last season, for example. Even the Netflix GOT has the ATMOS encoding.

I was so happy without HDR...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
7.1 , bdp-s3500/5500 , bdp-s6500 , hdmi to s-video , pcm , S1500 , S4500 , sony bdp-s1500 , sony_bdp-s3500/5500 , sony_bd_player , Terminator 2 Judgment Day Skynet Edition Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page