Sony S1500/ S3500 / S4500 / S5500 / S6500 Blu-ray players - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1486Likes

post #2191 of 2244 Old 10-04-2017, 06:40 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post
Ooooh...I wonder when that's being pushed out. Thank you!
Someone in the Ultra/Premiere+ thread said they got it yesterday. I've seen nothing yet on my ROkus.

I'll need to check out my S6500 units sometime to see if there are any updates I've missed. It's been awhile since I've used them.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2244 Old 11-11-2017, 04:13 PM
c3k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I've owned a BDP-S5500 for over a year. I have it hooked up via Ethernet (Gigabit speed switch and wiring) for streaming.

It is basically inoperative for streaming. I can get to Netflix and see the "Netflix" intro title...and that's where it sits for 10 minutes or longer. It never goes further. Right next to the BDP-S5500 is my HTPC, hooked up with the same Ethernet setup. It flies. Amazon Prime is equally problematic for the Sony.

This behavior with the Sony device has occurred before. It cleared up with a firmware fix (back in February???).

I am beyond disappointed. I'll be buying another Bluray/Streaming device on Black Friday or Cyber Monday...but it will NOT be a Sony.
post #2193 of 2244 Old 12-13-2017, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Sony BDP-S5500 has become almost nonfunctional streaming Netflix videos. Will stream for a while, and then video begins to stutter and eventually freezes hard. Player stops responding to remote and power button. It doesn't seem to be a buffering issue, it almost feels like the Sony CPU or memory is maxing out to the point of locking up. Unplugging the unit sometimes will clear it up for a while but after a day or two it's crap again. Streaming Youtube and Amazon still work. My underlying internet is 50 mbps AT&T, which should be more than enough for basic HD streaming (not 4k). Speed tests and internet diagnostics show good results and internet on my PC works well. AT&T won't let you change DNS server on their hardware, so I can't use Google DNS as Sony suggests. Internet seems to be full of similar complaints with these models. Is there no action that can be taken to force Sony to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2194 of 2244 Old 12-15-2017, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I did notice an issue where watching YouTube, then going to Netflix, would cause NF to stall and freeze the player. I found if I power off the player (I have fast start or whatever it is called DISABLED) after using YouTube would prevent the issue.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #2195 of 2244 Old 12-15-2017, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
I did notice an issue where watching YouTube, then going to Netflix, would cause NF to stall and freeze the player. I found if I power off the player (I have fast start or whatever it is called DISABLED) after using YouTube would prevent the issue.
You might consider reporting the problem to Sony.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #2196 of 2244 Old 12-17-2017, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Continue Playing CD While Looking at Track List

I have a BDP-BX350. Is there anything I can do so that when I am playing a music CD and look at the track listing whatever is playing continues until I select another track?

Right now as soon as I go to the track listing the music stops.
post #2197 of 2244 Old 12-18-2017, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sony BDP S6500

Does this player support Dolby Atmos?

Will be using with Marantz SR5011.

Thanks

Paul
post #2198 of 2244 Old 12-19-2017, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 71
It will pass via Bitstream whatever audio tracks are on the disc. If the disc has Atmos and your receiver can decode Atmos, then you'll get Atmos.
galonzo likes this.
post #2199 of 2244 Old 12-19-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Light View Post
Does this player support Dolby Atmos?

Will be using with Marantz SR5011.

Thanks

Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickpal View Post
It will pass via Bitstream whatever audio tracks are on the disc. If the disc has Atmos and your receiver can decode Atmos, then you'll get Atmos.
Yes, my s5500 does just that, even from files on a USB

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #2200 of 2244 Old 12-28-2017, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
Sony BDP-S5500 has become almost nonfunctional streaming Netflix videos. Will stream for a while, and then video begins to stutter and eventually freezes hard. Player stops responding to remote and power button. It doesn't seem to be a buffering issue, it almost feels like the Sony CPU or memory is maxing out to the point of locking up. Unplugging the unit sometimes will clear it up for a while but after a day or two it's crap again. Streaming Youtube and Amazon still work. My underlying internet is 50 mbps AT&T, which should be more than enough for basic HD streaming (not 4k). Speed tests and internet diagnostics show good results and internet on my PC works well. AT&T won't let you change DNS server on their hardware, so I can't use Google DNS as Sony suggests. Internet seems to be full of similar complaints with these models. Is there no action that can be taken to force Sony to fix this?
I haven't used Netflix in awhile on my 5500, and just noticed that it is now doing this, even after a reboot. As mentioned, other services work fine.
Here's one thread on Sony's own forums:
http://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ray-Netflix-Online-Video/BDP-S6500-Netflix-Freezing-problem/m-p/627787

post #2201 of 2244 Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Sony BDP-S5500 - Netflix FREEZE???

I have had a Sony BDP-S5500 for just under 2 years, and lately I've been having problems with Netflix, and perhaps streaming from other sources, but most dramatically from Netflix.

The Screen will FREEZE and all the buttons on the Remote will stop working. The device will simply not respond. Also, this can last for hours. That is, it is not simply the ISP service stalling briefly. Once locked or frozen it stays frozen. The only way to get the device UNFrozen is to pull the Power Plug.

Checking the Sony Support Forum, I did find some references to problems with Netflix, but not this specific problem.

I have maybe 2 months left on the extend warranty.

One last note, this seems to most often happen after I have played a Video Disc, after that the Streaming Aspect seems more temperamental.

I did check for a software update, using the menus in the BluRay player, and according to it, there are no updates available.

Just to make sure it wasn't Netflix, I plugged in an old Roku box I had laying around, and that plays without problems.

So, now I'm at a loss for what to do. I could buy the latest ROKU box, and keep using the Video Disc aspect of the Sony, but a latest Roku Box cost as much as a new BluRay Player.

The only moderately useful suggestions I found on the Sony Support Site were this -

If using an HDMI connection make the following changes:

Note: The steps below aren't available on all players.

- In the Screen/Video Settings setup, set the BD/DVD ROM 1080/24P output to Off.
- Set the HDMI Deep Color output to Off.
- Set the X.V. Color output to Off (this option isn't available on some models).
- Make sure that the HDMI control setting is set to Off. If you have a different manufacturer Blu-ray Disc player, this setting may be called CEC control or the AnyNet function.

Make sure your devices have the latest firmware or software updates. Go to Drivers and Software.
Use a different cable between the devices.

I confess I have just found these minutes ago so I haven't tried them.

I did try a new HDMI cable, though the one I had was reasonable quality.

Also, keep in mind that the device worked for Streaming for nearly 2 years and only lately have I had a problem with Netflix.

Have other had similar problems, and if so, did you find a solution?

Steve/bluewizard
post #2202 of 2244 Old 02-07-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
I have had a Sony BDP-S5500 for just under 2 years, and lately I've been having problems with Netflix, and perhaps streaming from other sources, but most dramatically from Netflix.
The Screen will FREEZE and all the buttons on the Remote will stop working. The device will simply not respond. Also, this can last for hours. That is, it is not simply the ISP service stalling briefly. Once locked or frozen it stays frozen. The only way to get the device UNFrozen is to pull the Power Plug.
Steve/bluewizard
You haven't posted your method of access to the internet. I used to stream a lot with my S6500 to Amazon. But my Blu-ray is using Ethernet to a wireless bridge. I'll speculate that Sony has minimal error handling (period). Your post makes it sound like Sony believes it's a content problem. Perhaps. I found the 2.4GHz wireless pretty bad. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I never use CEC or quick start. I always send 1080p24 when available.
post #2203 of 2244 Old 02-07-2018, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
You haven't posted your method of access to the internet. I used to stream a lot with my S6500 to Amazon. But my Blu-ray is using Ethernet to a wireless bridge. I'll speculate that Sony has minimal error handling (period). Your post makes it sound like Sony believes it's a content problem. Perhaps. I found the 2.4GHz wireless pretty bad. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I never use CEC or quick start. I always send 1080p24 when available.
I have 15Mb service from the local Internet Service Provider(local Telephone Cooperative). They aren't the most reliable, but when it works it works just fine.

30ft Cat5
to a Linksys N600 Dual Band Router which in turn connects to a BEC 5200W DSL Modem (not Thecus).

I don't do a lot of wireless communications, so an N600 is sufficient for my needs. There are four ports connected to the Router - DLS Modem, HP Printer, Computer, and BluRay.

Obviously a hardwired connection, not wireless.

I would still like to know what went wrong, but ... I was nearly at the end of an extended 2 year warranty. I called the Warranty company expecting to NOT talk to a human person and to get nothing but stonewalling. Fortunately, it went without a hitch. I shipped the BluRay back to them, as soon as UPS scans the package, the Warranter will send me a E-Gift Card, which means I will have to purchase a new one from Walmart.

So, what do I purchase next??
Sony 6700, LG, Samsung, Phillips, Other??? It will cost me about $30 more to get the Sony BDP-S6700 but I'm OK with the extra cost.

Thanks for the Tip about Quick Start. I will disable that in the new one.

I guess this was the one time when the Extended Warranty did pay off. I think I'll do that again ... depending on the cost.

Steve/bluewizard
post #2204 of 2244 Old 02-08-2018, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Obviously a hardwired connection, not wireless.
I would still like to know what went wrong, but ... I was nearly at the end of an extended 2 year warranty. I called the Warranty company expecting to NOT talk to a human person and to get nothing but stonewalling. Fortunately, it went without a hitch. I shipped the BluRay back to them, as soon as UPS scans the package, the Warranter will send me a E-Gift Card, which means I will have to purchase a new one from Walmart.
I guess this was the one time when the Extended Warranty did pay off. I think I'll do that again ... depending on the cost.
Steve/bluewizard
While I know sometimes things just break, it does makes one feel better to know why. If my S6500 failed I would not hesitate to buy the S6700. Since my primary streaming machine is a TiVo I never found a need to upgrade my S6500. But I'm glad Sony still has decent CS. Good luck with your quest.

BTW -> https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...y-players.html
post #2205 of 2244 Old 02-09-2018, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I bought a Sony BDP-S6700. It installed without a hitch, and I now have Amazon, YouTube, and Netflix up and running. It only cost me $43 which includes $8 for the extended warranty.

I get decent speed from my ISP, but the reliability is only so-so. The connection stalls several times a day, though fortunately not for very long, and I'm back up and running again.

Steve/bluewizard.
JoeKustra likes this.
post #2206 of 2244 Old 02-09-2018, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Steve/bluewizard
I have the same player, and the same issue. I think it was an update of Netflix's code (not in the control of Sony, which only supplies a basic framework) that caused the problem. Amazon and YouTube worked fine. Crackle was even worse and was totally unusable for over a year. Since I only used that player for streaming on my bedroom TV, I just dumped it and got a Roku Express. The current 2017 version seems to be just as fast as the Roku 4 I have on the main TV.
bluewizard likes this.

Last edited by andyross63; 02-12-2018 at 06:05 AM.
post #2207 of 2244 Old 02-25-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 675
I believe S5500 has multi channel decoding. However when I set Digital Audio output to PCM, the AVR still reports Stereo (for a DD or DTS track).
Any insight what could be the issue?
Player is connected via HDMI to AVR so it should be able to pass multichannel decoded audio.
post #2208 of 2244 Old 02-25-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
I believe S5500 has multi channel decoding. However when I set Digital Audio output to PCM, the AVR still reports Stereo (for a DD or DTS track).
Any insight what could be the issue?
Player is connected via HDMI to AVR so it should be able to pass multichannel decoded audio.
If I set any of my content supply devices to PCM I get 2ch stereo. My Blu-ray is set to Auto. No problems with DD or DTS.
post #2209 of 2244 Old 02-25-2018, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

New release available:
From Sony ->
What Does This Do?

This utility upgrades the Blu-ray Disc™ Player firmware to version M26.R.0222 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version M26.R.0221:
•Improves system stability

I never saw any stability issues.
post #2210 of 2244 Old 03-06-2018, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone seen any improvement in "stability" for anything?

AVN
post #2211 of 2244 Old 04-03-2018, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hello!

Which video processor should handle the PQ best? My Sony BDP-S5500 or Pioneer SC-95? Thanks!

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk
post #2212 of 2244 Old 04-04-2018, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2845
Quote:
Originally Posted by westbergjoakim View Post
Hello!

Which video processor should handle the PQ best? My Sony BDP-S5500 or Pioneer SC-95? Thanks!

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk
Both can produce the same quality of video, but they have different adjustments that you can make.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #2213 of 2244 Old 04-15-2018, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Amazon prime on Sony BDP 6500

Hi All,
My Sony BDP 6500 doesn't have Amazon prime. Only you tube &. Netflix are available. How can I add Amazon prime app on my player. I failed to add the app in to the player. I attaching some images for your reference. Kindly help.
Thank you

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180418_214408.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	2392530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180418_214301.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	2392532   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180418_214332.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	2392534  

Last edited by alekhp; 04-18-2018 at 10:53 PM.
post #2214 of 2244 Old 04-15-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alekhp View Post
Hi All,
My Sony BDP 6500 doesn't have Amazon prime. Only you tube &. Netflix are available. How can I add Amazon prime app on my player.
Thank you
My S6500 has:
PlayStation Video
Prime Video
Netflix
Vudu
hulu
MLB.TV
Crackle
Slacker Radio

In the last few months Amazon has changed their app and its logo. The logo says Prime Video but it's still Amazon.
galonzo likes this.
post #2215 of 2244 Old 04-18-2018, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Checking in to add that I am now experiencing the same freezing/non-responsiveness that others have reported with my S6500.

After trying to make a wireless connection work dependably I concluded it was impossible, so last summer I ran a Cat5 line directly to the device from my router. It worked incredibly well and I was happy to use MLB TV for the rest of the season. I also used it intermittently over the winter for that and YouTube viewing without a hitch.

In late February or early March there was a notice for a SW update from Sony which I installed. This gave new versions of some of the apps along with a few new apps. The MLB app was one of the updated ones and it has been a real headache this season so far with the freezing and crashing (giving a "video error" message which is new this year). Once that happens all one can do is hit the Return button. Last night was so bad I tried dealing with MLB TV and their online help personnel with zero success. All they tell you is the usual "reinstall the app (you cannot of course), check for updated SW, power cycle the device and modem", etc etc, none of which works for long. My first thought was that it was their app but now I am not so sure. I am beginning to suspect new flakiness in the Sony SW as other apps are now starting to act erratically as well.

At this point I am about ready to buy a new streaming box and ditch the Sony. Not sure which one would be best. I do not use Netflix but like MLB and would possibly be interested in Prime along with YouTube and a web browser app.
galonzo likes this.
post #2216 of 2244 Old 04-18-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just go and get a Roku. Even the basic Express is very fast. If you want wired Ethernet, you will have to get an Ultra. With Roku, you aren't limited to the few apps Sony makes available. You literally have thousands to choose from.
RxpSGR and galonzo like this.

post #2217 of 2244 Old 04-22-2018, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekhp View Post
Hi All,
My Sony BDP 6500 doesn't have Amazon prime. Only you tube &. Netflix are available. How can I add Amazon prime app on my player. I failed to add the app in to the player. I attaching some images for your reference. Kindly help.
Thank you

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
It is based on your IP address/region. If you want Amazon Prime, you will have to route the player through a VPN to get the apps of that region. Even then, a public VPN address will likely be blocked. It takes some networking know how, a VPN with dedicated streaming IP, and perhaps extra hardware. It was a pain when I did it, then I got freezing and lockup issues like many others when streaming and now only use this thing as a standalone blu-ray player.
post #2218 of 2244 Old 04-22-2018, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praximus View Post
It is based on your IP address/region. If you want Amazon Prime, you will have to route the player through a VPN to get the apps of that region. Even then, a public VPN address will likely be blocked. It takes some networking know how, a VPN with dedicated streaming IP, and perhaps extra hardware. It was a pain when I did it, then I got freezing and lockup issues like many others when streaming and now only use this thing as a standalone blu-ray player.

Thank You for the reply......
post #2219 of 2244 Old 05-11-2018, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Software update today?
post #2220 of 2244 Old 05-11-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post
Software update today?
Not that I can get on my S6500. At least not yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
7.1 , bdp-s3500/5500 , bdp-s6500 , hdmi to s-video , pcm , S1500 , S4500 , sony bdp-s1500 , sony_bdp-s3500/5500 , sony_bd_player , Terminator 2 Judgment Day Skynet Edition Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page