9Likes

post #31 of 62 Old 10-21-2015, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
I was contemplating getting the 80FD player myself, but with the S7200 from Sony in the same price range, I couldn't resist going with the Sony. I think the Sony has better build quality in addition to the many streaming apps that the 80fd was lacking.. Picture quality is quite good as well. I like Pioneer's products, but they tend to be way overpriced for what they offer in my opinion.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk
Did you have a chance to compare the picture quality of the S7200 against the 80FD? Can you share any objective (using test patterns) or subjective (eye-balled it) experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 Old 10-23-2015, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock1234 View Post
Did you have a chance to compare the picture quality of the S7200 against the 80FD? Can you share any objective (using test patterns) or subjective (eye-balled it) experience?

I've played with an 80fd in store, but never really saw a BD on it. My gripe with it is that it's to stripped down feature wise. It's a way over priced for what they offer you. If I had to guess picture quality wise., I'm sure it's got a nice picture, but so does my S3200 in my bedroom which I got last Christmas for $49., Build quality wise, my S7200 just seems to have better build quality compared to the 80fd.

post #33 of 62 Old 11-29-2015, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey guys I was wondering about a couple things on this player. Is it worth using the noise reduction on the player? What setting are u using when u have a 7.2 setup? Are u using 30 bit or 36 bit deep color?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 62 Old 11-30-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmokeyy View Post
Hey guys I was wondering about a couple things on this player. Is it worth using the noise reduction on the player? What setting are u using when u have a 7.2 setup? Are u using 30 bit or 36 bit deep color?
I don't use, or recommend, noise reduction on a blu-ray player. The point is to get the data from the blu-ray to your TV without modifying it in any way. I have never found it necessary to use NR on any blu-ray with this player.

There is no point in enabling deep color on your player - there are no sources that use that technology. All blu-rays are still stuck with 8-bit color. At best it will do nothing, at worst it will distort your picture.

Last edited by Spock1234; 11-30-2015 at 08:11 PM.
post #35 of 62 Old 12-01-2015, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any way to srteam Netflix through or from this unit? Was thinking of getting one but have a Pioneer display without any "smart apps" and have been using my cheap blu ray player to stream netflix.
post #36 of 62 Old 12-04-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Pioneer EliteBDP-80FD SACD playback....

Hey guys, just got a this bluray/sacd player. Im trying to play a SACD surround sound encoded, "The Police, Every Breath You Take". I have the Pioneer 80FD connected via HDMI to my Denon 4100. I have the Pioneer set to play Bitstream, with secondary audio Off through HDMI audio out!

My problem is I cant get the Pioneer 80FD to play the SACD layer! Am I doing something wrong, do I need to change a Setting in the Pioneer???
post #37 of 62 Old 12-04-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nevermind, its playing fine now...
post #38 of 62 Old 12-05-2015, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 268
How often do Pioneer release firmware updates for their players?
Do you guys have any problem with certain discs?

Is the lens picky in disc quality? I have 2 old Pioneer DVD players which are extremely picky. My Sony BDP-S380 bluray players play all the discs that the Pioneer can't.
post #39 of 62 Old 12-06-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
How often do Pioneer release firmware updates for their players?
Do you guys have any problem with certain discs?

Is the lens picky in disc quality? I have 2 old Pioneer DVD players which are extremely picky. My Sony BDP-S380 bluray players play all the discs that the Pioneer can't.
I had a 62FD for two years before I bought this 80FD. Over those two years, I remember getting maybe two firmware updates. I have seen only one firmware update for the 80FD.

But, I have never had a problem playing DVDs or Blu-rays on either Pioneer. I have good mix of movies - old and new releases, both US and import. I would be quite confident in the 80FD's ability to play any disc. I cannot comment on scratched/scuffed discs as most of my discs are in decent shape.
post #40 of 62 Old 12-07-2015, 12:06 AM

I'm thinking about taking the 80fd back. This player is loud reading the disc and add's noise to the room. I'm not sure if its doing that much better of a job than my ps3 or Xbox one. Would either the Sony bdp-s7200 or Samsung j7500 be a better player for some one who just wants 3d blu ray play back? I want a stand alone player just not really happy with the 80fd and I don't have the money for the 88fd. I have a js8500 Samsung tv. Thank u for any help.
post #41 of 62 Old 12-13-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ive had my 80fd for about 3 weeks. Ive watched about 12 blurays on it, all played no problems. Mines quiet as can be, reading discs no matter blurays or sacds.

Puts out a much cleaner picture, than my ps4 or past panasonic br player.
post #42 of 62 Old 12-14-2015, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Pioneer BDP-80FD

Quote:
I'm thinking about taking the 80fd back. This player is loud reading the disc and add's noise to the room. I'm not sure if its doing that much better of a job than my ps3 or Xbox one. Would either the Sony bdp-s7200 or Samsung j7500 be a better player for some one who just wants 3d blu ray play back? I want a stand alone player just not really happy with the 80fd and I don't have the money for the 88fd. I have a js8500 Samsung tv. Thank u for any help.

I own the 7200 and it's pretty quiet. Picture quality is excellent.

post #43 of 62 Old 12-14-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
You clearly have a defective unt. I would exchange it for another unit.
But, it also sounds like you dislike the Pioneer. You should try another brand.
post #44 of 62 Old 12-14-2015, 09:28 PM

I did return it but I didn't hate the pioneer I just hated the problems. I'm just going to wait for the new uhd player.
post #45 of 62 Old 12-28-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a update. I've had this 80fd for a month now, watched about 20 blurays on it. The PQ is great, and love the Atmos surround. I originally wanted the Oppo 103, just jot the 499.99 price.

Very happy with this Pinoneer, till my 65" plasma dies and I go 4k! Hopefully, not for 3-5 yrs atleast...
Spock1234 likes this.
post #46 of 62 Old 01-04-2016, 09:44 PM

Pioneer BDP-80FD versus Sony S6500, Sony S5500, Panasonic DMP-BDT460

Here is my comparison of the Pioneer BDP-80FD and three other blu-ray players.

I purchased and compared four different blu-ray players (Sony S6500, Sony S5500, Panasonic DMP-BDT460, and the Pioneer BDP-80FD) trying to find the best bang for my buck. I also tested the DVD upscaling ability of each player. All tests were done with the 'Standard' or 'Auto' setting on each player.

Display: Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 on THX Cinema Mode
Test Discs: Pixar's Toy Story 2 Blu-ray, Pixar's Toy Story 2 DVD
Scenes: Woody's Restoration, Jessie's Song (Flashback Scene), Buzz's visit to Al's Toy Barn

In Woody's Restoration, I looked for the details on Woody's face/body, depth and realism on the restorer's face, and the texture on the surface of pump.

In Jessie's Song, I looked for the ability to differentiate between the color of Jessie's hair and her hat. I also looked for the difference in the texture between her braided hair and the felt of her hat. The scene where Jessie plays with Emily in the park, with the constantly changing light and the 'lens flare', was a litmus test for the players.

In the Al's Toy Barn scene, you see a wall of green and blue from the Buzz Lightyear packages on the shelf. I looked for the ability to display the colors in a controlled way, without any color 'bloom' or smearing.

The Pioneer did the best job of displaying accurate, lifelike color. I found very little 'banding' or color 'bloom' on even the most challenging scenes. In addition, the images were 3-Dimensional, with a lot of depth. It clearly showed the difference between the texture of Jessie's hair and the felt in her hat. The restorer's craggy face was stunning with excellent contrast and clarity, without any false-sharp edges. In the Toy Barn scene, it controlled the colors very well, with absolutely no smearing. Other players did not control the colors as well as the Pioneer or convey any depth in that scene.

My ranking of the players: The Pioneer was the overall winner by a wide margin.

1. Pioneer BDP-80FD: Excellent performer. Brilliant, lifelike picture. Very 3-Dimensional. Excellent color rendition. Excellent DVD upscaling, with no visible artifacts.
2. Sony S6500: Very good. Lacked the depth and 3-Dimensionality of the Pioneer. DVD Upscaling is also a step below the Pioneer.
3. Panasonic DMP-BDT460: Very good DVD upscaling, but fell short on color accuracy.
4. Sony S5500: The worst of the lot. Poor color rendition, and clearly lacking in depth and 3-Dimensionality.

This exercise took a lot of time and almost exhausted my patience. But, it was very enlightening. It put to rest, once and for all, the lie that all blu-ray players 'put out identical images'. The difference was most stark when comparing the two Sonys (even the options in the picture setting are different on these two players).

I kept the Pioneer for my main system (because I wanted the best), and the Sony S6500 for my bedroom (because I wanted a more economical alternative for the less demanding system).

I hope this post helps anybody who is on the fence .....

Edit: Uploaded page from the BDP-80FD manual that lists the playable disc formats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pioneer_BDP_80_Formats.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1420906  
S_G7 and toddman36 like this.

Last edited by Spock1234; 05-03-2016 at 12:42 PM.
post #47 of 62 Old 02-12-2016, 07:25 AM

Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD always convert HD sound codec to PCM ?

when I play blu-ray disc with HD sound codec (DTS-HD i.e.), it convert the signal automatically to PCM to my SC-57 A/V receiver.

I'm using the HDMI output for audio and video
I selected the "bitsream digital output" option from "audio output" option menu.
I cannot select the "bitstream" option from the "HDMI" option menu because the text is overshadowed and I cannot change it.

Whatever I do, I'm not able to see any sound codec on my receiver, only PCM ? Normal ?
post #48 of 62 Old 02-15-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barogar View Post
when I play blu-ray disc with HD sound codec (DTS-HD i.e.), it convert the signal automatically to PCM to my SC-57 A/V receiver.

I'm using the HDMI output for audio and video
I selected the "bitsream digital output" option from "audio output" option menu.
I cannot select the "bitstream" option from the "HDMI" option menu because the text is overshadowed and I cannot change it.

Whatever I do, I'm not able to see any sound codec on my receiver, only PCM ? Normal ?
Issue solved by resetting the player !
post #49 of 62 Old 04-22-2016, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got this player recently and still wish I bought the Oppo just because I wish I had the Oppo.

It's a very good player. Nice looks, but the remote isn't as nice. The layout is good, it doesn't seem to be falling apart, but the buttons are hard to press so it's a bit uncomfortable to use. Picture quality is good, supports all sorts of audio signals, has analog stereo outputs which is great since I have a stereo receiver. Audio quality is excellent.

Wanna say something about MKV support: it plays pretty much everything I throw at it, and I'm talking 10GB+ per hour files here. It doesn't slouch. Only it can't play 10bit anime rips (those that aren't glitchy and tinted will be outright refused), which I'm aware nothing but the computer can.

It's reasonably quiet when playing DVDs and BluRays, a little less quiet when playing and loading BD-R but okay. Again, it's a very good player, I'm back to ordering a plethora of discs every month. My interest in video looks regained.
post #50 of 62 Old 05-03-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Heard this is on for $149.99 at Best Buy right now even though they aren't advertising it, but in this thread no-one confirms what an earlier poster was asking about DVD-Audio - it doesn't have the DVD VIDEO/AUDIO logo that I'd expect to see on a Pioneer Elite (and have had on my DV-45a, DV-48AV and now BDP-62FD) - so does it play DVD-Audio discs or not? If not, I'm not interested.
Here is a page from the BDP-80FD manual that lists the playable formats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pioneer_BDP_80_Formats.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1420898  
post #51 of 62 Old 05-03-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock1234 View Post
Here is a page from the BDP-80FD manual that lists the playable formats.
I've already searched the manual, which is why I mentioned not seeing the typical logo. I'm asking for someone with the player, or someone who previous had the player, to confirm whether the unit plays DVD-Audio discs based on this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post
I bought a Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD Blu-ray player knowing it was advertised as being able to play SACD disk but not DVD-Audio disk. I thought i would give it a try anyways and to my surprise it plays both my DVD-Audio only and DVD -Audio/video disk from my Pink Floyd / wish you were here immersion box set.
Does this mean if it will play one it will play all? Or is this a normal hit and miss type of thing with players? I would like to buy more DVD-A disk if this is the case.

Anyone else experience this with there players?
This was the post I mentioned in mine.
post #52 of 62 Old 05-31-2016, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 2034
No price talk allowed in general forums.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #53 of 62 Old 08-09-2016, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I got this recently but having trouble with my system. I have an Onkyo PR-SC885 preamp and I'm unable to get multichannel audio via bitstream no matter what I do. Also to get sound I have to switch away on the preamp from this pioneer source to something else and then come back, every time.
post #54 of 62 Old 08-09-2016, 10:14 AM

Sounds like a HDMI handshake problem. Especially because the pre-amp recognizes the Pioneer after switching inputs. Try turning the blu-ray player on before the pre-amp. Or, it might be a defective HDMI cable. Try another one.
post #55 of 62 Old 08-10-2016, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anyone having problems with this player recognizing the multichannel portion of dual layer SACDs? A few people are reporting that it will only see the CD layer. TIA
post #56 of 62 Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I used this unit for about 30 days and even though it appears this thread is about dead, I thought I would share my experience.

I noticed no improvement in PQ or audio over my PS4/PS3.
The disc noise was definitely louder than the game systems.
The disc tray seemed to not open or close occasionally (using remote and front button).
The remote sucks as others have mentioned.
It would respond to my Harmony Ultimate only about half the time.
When a disc prompted for an update, it required an external storage device to be attached to complete the update.
The UI is just as horrible as every other Pioneer product (no surprise).
No apps.

The ONLY reason to keep this is for the external appearance and build quality, compared to the ugly cheap plastic crap being sold today.

I agree with the other poster that this thing should have been no more than $150 tops. But now with UHD players around $200 this thing should be priced at $99 max.

I returned mine and will put the money toward half an Oppo.

Energy RC-70 (2) | Energy RC-LCR | NHT SZ 2.1 (4) | SVS PB-2000 | Denon AVR-X4300H | LG OLED65C6P | OPPO UDP-203
PS3 | PS4 | Wii U | Apple TV (4th gen) | DirecTV HR44 HMC | Harmony Ultimate
post #57 of 62 Old 01-22-2017, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can anybody tell me if you can play CD/SACDs on the 80FD without turning on a video display? I could hook up the 80FD to a display for the initial setup, but prefer to play CD/SACDs without turning on the display. Specifically, can you directly choose the disc-playing function by pressing the "CD/SACD" button on the remote?

I am asking this, because playing audio discs without video display on my Sony S6500 is extremely difficult. Not to mention, this model does not have LED so that I cannot tell which track is being played.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by naxos41; 01-23-2017 at 01:35 AM.
post #58 of 62 Old 01-23-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naxos41 View Post
Can anybody tell me if you can play CD/SACDs on the 80FD without turning on a video display?
Yes, you can play a CD in this Blu-ray player without any issues. It has a display on the front which shows the track number.

It is important to connect the Blu-ray player to your receiver using an optical cable, and select that input on the receiver when you play CDs. This will help you avoid any issues with HDMI CEC connectivity, like the TV turning on when you try to play a CD.

Last edited by Spock1234; 01-23-2017 at 07:02 AM.
post #59 of 62 Old 01-23-2017, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I could use an optical/coax out for redbook CDs, but I would need to use HDMI out for my SACDs (the sole reason why I am using a BD player instead of a CD player).

Two questions if I may. (1) When you press "play" button on the remote with a disc is in the tray, does the player automatically play the disc? (this does not happen with the S6500, as I need to select the disc playing function from the video monitor first) (2) During the playback, does the LED display indicate which layer of a hybrid SACD (CD/stereo or multi ch SACD) is being currently played?

Thank you again.

Last edited by naxos41; 01-23-2017 at 09:29 AM.
post #60 of 62 Old 01-23-2017, 10:09 AM

There is no reason to avoid the hdmi cable unless you have CEC turned on.

Yes, the CD starts playing when you press play. It is pretty straightforward.

I can't answer Q2 as I do not own any SACDs. But, I recall seeing a setting that asks you to select which 'version' to play if you insert a hybrid disc. This might be related to SACDs.

Last edited by Spock1234; 01-23-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BDP-80FD

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page