2015 Samsung Players: BD-J7500, J5900, J5700, J5100 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

post #31 of 119 Old 08-08-2015, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thumbs up

Hey! I found a solution. By the way, I can't paste here links :-(

I contact the support team on Samsung and the send me a link to download the same firmware version: B-JM63BSPWWB-1006.1

First, I made the factory reset. Then, I download the firmware file in my laptop, format a pendrive in FAT32, UNZIP and copy the file in the pendrive and connect it in the front of the Blu-ray.

In the Setup menu, go to Tec. Support > Software update > USB.

The system scan the pendrive and show me that I already have the last version... BUT!!! IMPORTANT! When I try to open the Apps and now all is fine and the Apps open without problem

Here the Samsung Support Team instructions:

Quote:
1. If firewall is enabling, please disable firewall for testing.

2. Check for security settings in Wi-Fi Router.

3. Make sure that your player is running on the latest firmware version. I see that the latest firmware version of the player is ver.1006.1. To check the firmware version of the player, press INFO button with no disc and the disc tray opened. You could find the software version. If the current firmware version on the player is older than ver.1006, please upgrade the firmware. You can download the firmware update for your player by clicking on the link given below. It starts downloading automatically once you click the link. If you experience any issues opening the above link, you can copy and paste into any other browser:

(Link by Private Message)

The above file will be in the zip format. Extract the file and copy that to the USB drive which is formatted in FAT 32 file format system. For instructions on how to upgrade the firmware on your player refer the below link. It starts downloading automatically once you click on the link:

(Link by Private Message)

4. If the issue persists, reset the player to factory defaults. Please note that resetting the player reverts all the settings of the player. For instructions to reset the player, please follow the steps below.

a. Power on your Blu-ray player and make sure the Home Menu is displayed, reset will not work if the player is in any other Menu or App screen.
b. With no disc in the player, press and hold the STOP button on the top panel of your player for about 8 seconds or until 'Resetting all settings to default values' displays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 119 Old 09-24-2015, 01:19 AM

Hi,

I haven't been able to confirm whether Plex app is available on the J5900 or J7500.
I see reviews mentioning it for the J7500 but none for the J5900.

On the Plex forum they say although the App running on Opera isn't the same and the J5900 is listed as running Opera.
I have seen screenshots on online reviews with the Plex app on J7500 but it's difficult to confirm whether this is true.

Is Plex available on the J5900 and J7500?
Another question, can FLAC be played over DLNA on the J5900 and J7500?

Thanks
post #33 of 119 Old 09-25-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmat View Post

Is Plex available on the J5900 and J7500?
Another question, can FLAC be played over DLNA on the J5900 and J7500?

Thanks
I'll answer my own question.
Plex seem to come pre-installed on the J7500. It's seem the J7500 has the Smart Hub like previous generation H6500. I have also read people running newer versions of Plex from a USB stick because the app wasn't update by Samsung.
I have seen reports of people complaining of not being able to install plex on the J5900 even though it is listed as Plex Opera App compatible.

I have read a review saying High res audio over DLNA doesn't work on J5900 and J7500, but also found one saying it works for the J7500.
I have ordered the J7500, so I'll figured it out on my own
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 119 Old 11-20-2015, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Does anyone know if these players do multi-channel audio on MKVs via USB?
post #35 of 119 Old 11-26-2015, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Samsung BD-J7500 3D 4K Upscaling Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi (2015 Model)

This must be the best investment for my personal Home theater. I have had this model since August and there is not one day when it ceases to amaze me.
Is there anyone in this forum that has experienced something similar with this particular model?
Sometimes I am tempted to swap it for an OPPO Darbee Edition, but when I compare these two players I dont see the OPPO really being a better choice overall
RadioWonder and gus738 like this.
post #36 of 119 Old 11-27-2015, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do any of these support 24p streaming like some of Samsung's previous models?
post #37 of 119 Old 11-28-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbm0417 View Post
I have the J5900 and am trying to get 5.1 sound to a Sonos Playbar (no DTS decoding and only input is optical). There is an option in the audio settings on the player for bitstream (re-encoded Dolby Digital), which would appear to be what I need. However, when I select that, I'm still only getting stereo audio delivered the the Playbar. From what I can tell, it is actually downconverting everything to stereo rather than Dolby Digital. Any thoughts?

Just to head off some potential troubleshooting steps: my TV will pass through DTS/DD from HDMI sources to the optical out, so I know it is not the issue (and I tried running optical straight from my HDMI switch to the Playbar just to confirm).
Are you saying that even if I have a 5.1 Surround Sound system device, the player will still deliver regular Stereo Audio instead of 5.1 Dolby?
post #38 of 119 Old 12-01-2015, 04:00 AM

Updating firmware?? Confused

So I updated my Samsung BD-J75 and I dont see any difference in either the appearance and/or performance of the Smart Hub.
I streamed Netflix, Amazon Prime, UFC.TV, and everything looks the same as with the previous version...
What am I missing??
post #39 of 119 Old 12-02-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky3RD View Post
So I updated my Samsung BD-J75 and I dont see any difference in either the appearance and/or performance of the Smart Hub.
I streamed Netflix, Amazon Prime, UFC.TV, and everything looks the same as with the previous version...
What am I missing??
Is there a firmware version #?
post #40 of 119 Old 12-03-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronY View Post
Is there a firmware version #?
I had firmware #1003 out of the box in August and I now updated to #1004 ...What are these upgrade for if there is absolutely no difference in the Smart Hub from before the update to after the update?
post #41 of 119 Old 12-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 124
HDMI + analog audio

Does anyone know if the BD-J7500 would be able to output HDMI + analog out audio simultaneously ?

I'd like to use the subwoofer analog output, while at the same time having all 7.1 channels go through the HDMI output (+ video of course) to my receiver.

Reason I am asking is because I'd like to connect a Buttkicker LFE (amp + shaker / transducer) to the analog subwoofer out and drive it through the player, while my receiver would take care of the sound. That way I would also be able to plug in headphones in the receiver while still have the BK-LFE active.

As is, plugging in the headphones to my receiver mutes all sound, so no signal would be sent to the sub out, where the BK is connected.
That is why I am hoping to use the sub out analog output of the blu-ray player.

Also curious whether anyone considered upgrading from this to the Oppo 103 or has done so.

I am still debating what is a better option (mainly movie watching, and most of the time Netflix, less often blu-ray discs)
post #42 of 119 Old 12-03-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've been researching for a new player. I tried buying the Panasonic DMP-BD903 and the Sony BDP-S3500 and both have their quirks that I didn't want to deal with (both were experiencing audio hiccups on certain titles). So, I'm continuing to research on other players and am strongly considering ordering the Samsung BD-J5100. Can some of you let me know your overall experience with this player? Any video/audio hiccups or glitches? Any compatibility issues with certain BD titles?

I've never wanted to consider another Samsung player again after the headache I went through with their players six years ago. But the customer reviews on this J5100 player look surprisingly positive.
post #43 of 119 Old 12-04-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky3RD View Post
I had firmware #1003 out of the box in August and I now updated to #1004 ...What are these upgrade for if there is absolutely no difference in the Smart Hub from before the update to after the update?
Yeah, its weird Samsung has no info on it on their site. They just list version 1004.6 and no info about what it does. Can't find any info on the internet anywhere either.
post #44 of 119 Old 12-04-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah, its weird Samsung has no info on it on their site. They just list version 1004.6 and no info about what it does. Can't find any info on the internet anywhere either.
well, I updated to 1004 regardless...it cannot harm...I guess
post #45 of 119 Old 12-07-2015, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
guys who have the j7500 player how loud is the player when reading blu ray disc? I have a pioneer bdp-80fd and thinking about returning it for the Samsung j7500. Would it be worth trading the 80fd for the j7500?
post #46 of 119 Old 12-08-2015, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am a little confused about using the BD-J5900 to stream Netflix from my Samsung Smartphone. Seems like some have experienced issues with Netflix. Can you confirm this BD player will do this?
post #47 of 119 Old 12-08-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmokeyy View Post
guys who have the j7500 player how loud is the player when reading blu ray disc? I have a pioneer bdp-80fd and thinking about returning it for the Samsung j7500. Would it be worth trading the 80fd for the j7500?
Don't know how loud the Pioneer is, but the Samsung 7500 is quiet as a mouse (at least mine is).
post #48 of 119 Old 12-11-2015, 04:23 AM

J7500 is the best overall player on the market. Itisalmost like agreat bluray 3Dplayer with built-in Roku. Most smart players are limited in thenumber of apps available, but with the J7500 you have countless of apps avaialble for downloading. Streaming is flawless,with very little lags or buffering.
Wheteher you play a DVD, Bluray,or Bluray3D, the player automatically turns its settings to that specific mode...and let's not forget wi-fi and bluetooth. To call it jsut a bluray player is almost offensive
post #49 of 119 Old 12-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
Does anyone know if the BD-J7500 would be able to output HDMI + analog out audio simultaneously ?
To answer my own question, it does, I just got the player yesterday and tried this out.

As far as streaming goes, before the player I used Roku3 that I still have, but I am still not totally convinced I can fully replace it.

E.g. Roku3 has never given me a glitch with Netflix, but on the player when I sometime start a movie, few times it just buffered up to 25% and then stays at 25 for a while, I often hear the sound but no video streamed yet while that 25% is on screen. Same wired network that I used on the Roku, I literally just unplugged the network cable from my Roku and plugged it into the player.

I went back and forth between wireless and wired, and during my latest couple of tries I did not see it happen again, but something that is a bit concerning .. hopefully I find with more use that it does not happen that often. Still too early to say. My old Sony BD Player had the same streaming problem. Roku3 never did.

I also had several movie scenes that I streamed through Plex on my Roku with no problem, but on the Samsung they would pause and take several seconds buffering like every minute or so. Though I did manage to get around this, by changing a couple of settings in the Plex Client Preferences

- Had to switch the Player options in the preferences to Transcoding
- I had to then decrease the advanced Advanced settings / Local Quality from 10 down to 8. This affected the picture quality to a certain degree, but at least no more stuttering / buffering issues.

Hopefully that helps others with similar problems.

I can live with this for Plex, but still don't have enough experience (except for the few buffering glitches I saw on my first few tries) to say if Netflix works better or at least as good as on the Roku. Fingers crossed it will be good enough, in which case maybe I can give my Roku some rest.
post #50 of 119 Old 12-12-2015, 04:25 AM

I found out that in the Audio settings of my Samsung J7500 there is some sort of sound calibration tool, where I can change the dbl of each speaker, set the distance of each speaker from MLP, etc...How does that work if in fact does work? Would that override the existing calibration that was set up through the receiver?

Also in the same Audio settings, it gives me an option to set player to bitstream. It has several bitstream options: unprocessed, Dolby, DTS, etc...Which one should I select when watching blurays or streaming Netflix?
post #51 of 119 Old 12-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

How do you have the player connected to the receiver ? HDMI or the analog outputs ?

I would think that the distance and dbl of speakers that you see in the menu are only for the analog outputs (but I could be wrong).

Normally what speaker distance settings does is cause the player / receiver (based on the difference in distance between speakers that you had provided) to add some delay to speakers that are closer in distance, in order to make the sound arrive to MLP (main listening position) at about the same time.

Normally if you have a surround receiver it should already have these options, some receivers allow for this to be input manually, but I think the auto calibration options of the receiver should also detect this distance automatically during the calibration process and set it accordingly (at least mine, Pioneer SC-1227-K, does). I don't think you need to worry about adjusting these in the BD player if you use HDMI audio output.

As far as the different audio bitstream, it somewhat depends on what your receiver supports.

These are the options (as specified in the manual)

PCM is the default setting compatible with most TV's and receivers. Press the Enter button.
5Select Bitstream (Unprocessed) for your receiver to decode all the audio. Bonus view audio will not be available.
6Select Bitstream (Re-encoded DTS) to have the original audio re-encoded into DTS.
7Select Bitstream (Re-encoded Dolby D) to have the original audio re-encoded into Dolby Digital. Then, press the Enter button.

In my case I just use Bitstream (Unprocessed) to let the receiver do all the decoding, there are some folks claiming they get somewhat better results with Bitstream compared to PCM, not sure if that is placebo or not. PCM would cause the player to do all the surround decoding and send all already decoded channels to the receiver.

PCM could sound similar though, it doesn't hurt at all to just try it out and see what sounds better to your ears.

As the manual mentions though, if you want to hear to Bonus view or secondary audio, you may be forced to use PCM (or just switch to it when needed).

The other two options (Bitstream Re-encoding) I am not sure exactly when you would use them, maybe if your receiver only supports one specific surround format, but I can't really see this being the case. Maybe someone else has more information around that.
post #52 of 119 Old 12-12-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've been researching for a new player. I tried buying the Panasonic DMP-BD903 and the Sony BDP-S3500 and both have their quirks that I didn't want to deal with (both were experiencing audio hiccups on certain titles). So, I'm continuing to research on other players and am strongly considering ordering the Samsung BD-J5100. Can some of you let me know your overall experience with this player? Any video/audio hiccups or glitches? Any compatibility issues with certain BD titles?

I've never wanted to consider another Samsung player again after the headache I went through with their players six years ago. But the customer reviews on this J5100 player look surprisingly positive.
Anyone?? The J5100 is on sale at Best Buy tomorrow for $60 and I'd like to grab it at that price if people here can attest to how well this player performs. Any issues with BD playback that I should be made aware of?
post #53 of 119 Old 12-13-2015, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a samsung pn64 H5000 and would like to know if the tv remote would also control one of these samsung blu ray players as well. Thank you.
post #54 of 119 Old 12-14-2015, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
How do you have the player connected to the receiver ? HDMI or the analog outputs ?

I would think that the distance and dbl of speakers that you see in the menu are only for the analog outputs (but I could be wrong).

Normally what speaker distance settings does is cause the player / receiver (based on the difference in distance between speakers that you had provided) to add some delay to speakers that are closer in distance, in order to make the sound arrive to MLP (main listening position) at about the same time.

Normally if you have a surround receiver it should already have these options, some receivers allow for this to be input manually, but I think the auto calibration options of the receiver should also detect this distance automatically during the calibration process and set it accordingly (at least mine, Pioneer SC-1227-K, does). I don't think you need to worry about adjusting these in the BD player if you use HDMI audio output.

As far as the different audio bitstream, it somewhat depends on what your receiver supports.

These are the options (as specified in the manual)

PCM is the default setting compatible with most TV's and receivers. Press the Enter button.
5Select Bitstream (Unprocessed) for your receiver to decode all the audio. Bonus view audio will not be available.
6Select Bitstream (Re-encoded DTS) to have the original audio re-encoded into DTS.
7Select Bitstream (Re-encoded Dolby D) to have the original audio re-encoded into Dolby Digital. Then, press the Enter button.

In my case I just use Bitstream (Unprocessed) to let the receiver do all the decoding, there are some folks claiming they get somewhat better results with Bitstream compared to PCM, not sure if that is placebo or not. PCM would cause the player to do all the surround decoding and send all already decoded channels to the receiver.

PCM could sound similar though, it doesn't hurt at all to just try it out and see what sounds better to your ears.

As the manual mentions though, if you want to hear to Bonus view or secondary audio, you may be forced to use PCM (or just switch to it when needed).

The other two options (Bitstream Re-encoding) I am not sure exactly when you would use them, maybe if your receiver only supports one specific surround format, but I can't really see this being the case. Maybe someone else has more information around that.
Great post buddy, and great info!
The speaker calibration option in the J7500 Audio menu does not apply in case we have our AVR alreeady connected through HDMI (like in my case). In my case all calibration is performed through AVR and the BD calibration system is disabled.
As far as bitstream options go, I still dont get why there is a DTS and Dolby bitstream available along with "unprocessed" bitstream. Wouldnt the unprocessed bitsream let the receiver decode everything? So what is the use of the other two bitstream options??

I have one more question:
Does the bitstream selection also applies when streaming (Netflix, Amazon) or only when playing bluray/DVD discs? Do we have to switch back to PCM when online streaming, perhaps?

Last edited by Rocky3RD; 12-14-2015 at 06:15 AM.
post #55 of 119 Old 12-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
So I just bought a new Vizio M 4K TV. Any benefit to these new BR players that upscale to 4K over my existing BR player?
post #56 of 119 Old 12-17-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post
So I just bought a new Vizio M 4K TV. Any benefit to these new BR players that upscale to 4K over my existing BR player?
Supposedly its almost always better to let your tv do the upscaling since they have better upscalers so I would say no
dmikester1 likes this.
post #57 of 119 Old 12-18-2015, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Supposedly its almost always better to let your tv do the upscaling since they have better upscalers so I would say no
Interesting, did not know that. Thank you
post #58 of 119 Old 12-18-2015, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My samsung J7500 arrived today and when checking out the streaming apps, the video is compressed into the center of my TV screen, only filling about half of the available 64 inch space. Running a disc, the entire screen space is filled in as one would expect. Can anyone tell me what I have to adjust to get the correct screen size when viewing amazon, vudu, etc.
post #59 of 119 Old 12-18-2015, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbuckwa View Post
My samsung J7500 arrived today and when checking out the streaming apps, the video is compressed into the center of my TV screen, only filling about half of the available 64 inch space. Running a disc, the entire screen space is filled in as one would expect. Can anyone tell me what I have to adjust to get the correct screen size when viewing amazon, vudu, etc.
Did you try playing around with the TV Aspect Ratio Picture Settings ?
post #60 of 119 Old 12-20-2015, 08:23 AM

Liked: 10
BD-J5700 and Netflix Instant Queue

Just got this player and when in Netflix I can't seem to find where my instant queue is? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
BD-J5900

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page