AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   2015 Samsung Players: BD-J7500, J5900, J5700, J5100 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1893057-2015-samsung-players-bd-j7500-j5900-j5700-j5100.html)

Mr. Cinema 02-13-2015 04:59 PM

2015 Samsung Players: BD-J7500, J5900, J5700, J5100
 
No release dates yet, but I found these 3 new players on Samsung's website. The casing has been completely re-designed.

BD-J5900
Built-In Wi-Fi
New Opera TV Apps
3D Blu-ray™
Screen Mirroring

BD-J5700/ZA
Built-in Wi-Fi
New Opera TV Apps
Blu-ray™

BD-J5100
Built-in LAN
New Opera
Blu-ray™

Here's a photo of the 3D model
http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...nt_Black_4.jpg
http://www.samsung.com/us/system/con...il_Black_2.jpg

Latinoheat 02-16-2015 07:35 PM

Ugliest players I have seen. Why would anyone invest in one of these when the new 4K players are coming out at the end of the year?

JohnAV 02-17-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 31758937)
No release dates yet, but I found these 3 new players on Samsung's website. The casing has been completely re-designed

Only Samsung would have the nerve to make a curved BD player. :eek:

http://www.avcesar.com/source/actual...607_023607.jpg

Rear view BD-J5900, not a lot of features shown.

Viper32 03-14-2015 05:30 PM

**Official** Samsung BD-J5900 Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread
 
Deleted, since I tried to start a official thread and Mods wants to merge it with other topics.

If you want details then message me.

pdaub 03-18-2015 10:38 AM

Review
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper32 (Post 32622233)
Deleted, since I tried to start a official thread and Mods wants to merge it with other topics.

If you want details then message me.

Tried to message but was getting an error. Would love to hear your review of the new BD-J5700. Was going to purchase but can't find any feedback anywhere!

Mr. Cinema 03-19-2015 08:25 AM

ABT has them in stock. Best Buy has them for pre-order. I tried out the BD-J5900. The curvy casing definitely sticks out like a sore thumb. Load times are very fast. The menu is identical to the 2014 models. The big problem I had was Netflix would never connect. I've got other streaming options and Netflix connects 100% every time, but for some reason, it refused to on this machine. It also already had a firmware update, but that didn't help.

Mr. Cinema 04-21-2015 08:49 AM

Best Buy now has the BD-J7500.

sawfish 04-23-2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnAV (Post 31874097)
Only Samsung would have the nerve to make a curved BD player. :eek:

Maybe I'm just juvenile, but my first thought on the surface texture was, "Ribbed for her pleasure."

For several years, I've likened Samsung design to the weird animals of the Cambrian explosion.

yronnen 04-24-2015 07:18 AM

Is it Dual-Band? Couldn't find anything on Samsung's website about it.

jleroy68 05-09-2015 09:02 AM

I just received one yesterday from Amazon, no indication on packaging or insert to indicate dual core. Looks like I'll have to go back a year get it?

CUTiger78 06-26-2015 07:25 PM

Connecting J5900 to the Internet
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper32 (Post 32622233)
Deleted, since I tried to start a official thread and Mods wants to merge it with other topics.

I'm still considering this the **Official** Samsung BD-J5900 Blu-ray Player Owner's Thread and I need some advice.

  1. My J5900 is located within a couple of feet of my wireless router. I could easily run a cable direct from the router to the J5900. Would that improve my internet capability versus a wireless connection?
  2. Samsung recommends Cat 7 cable. Is Cat 7 really necessary or would Cat 6 do?
Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

ToonMasterTim 06-27-2015 06:05 AM

Wired is more reliable. If you have a lot of devices on your wifi, you might experience more dropped packets, which may lead to some latency. If you don't have a large family and devices competing for bandwidth, then you're probably okay with sticking with wireless. Since your BD player is in such close proximity to your router, running a cable wouldn't be a bad idea. Of course, you have to deal with wires. But if you aren't experiencing any problems with streaming over wifi, I wouldn't worry. If, on the other hand, you start experiencing poor streaming quality, re-buffering and such, then you should consider going wired.

As for cabling, I don't think it matters a whole lot unless you plan to set up a long run. It sounds like you're fine with whatever Ethernet cable you choose.

Tim

CUTiger78 06-27-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim (Post 35354378)
As for cabling, I don't think it matters a whole lot unless you plan to set up a long run. It sounds like you're fine with whatever Ethernet cable you choose.

Tim

Thanks, Tim. Based on what I've read all over the AVSForum, I'm confident your idea is the way to go. So, I'm headed over to Monoprice and I'll get the best cables that match my current cable scheme: Clemson orange cables for internet & Redmere burgundy cables for HDMI.

Cheers!

Miguelmotocross075 07-01-2015 06:56 AM

Hi, Im having problem trying to connect to every app since the Blu-ray 5700 did an update. When I try to enter an app a message appears "system time is updating, try again latter" does anyone has this problem???

shaun5150 07-09-2015 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguelmotocross075 (Post 35453442)
Hi, Im having problem trying to connect to every app since the Blu-ray 5700 did an update. When I try to enter an app a message appears "system time is updating, try again latter" does anyone has this problem???

Just happened to me on the 5900 after just 2 days of ownership. Using wireless. Had to reboot DSL modem today due to not having internet. Figure this bug occurred from not having Internet or the modem reboot.

Did you solve this in the week since your post?

ToonMasterTim 07-10-2015 01:07 PM

I have a 2013 Samsung F5700 that I actually really like other than its slow performance with its apps. Target has the J5900 for $59, which seems like a good price. Should I upgrade?

shaun5150 07-10-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim (Post 35671130)
I have a 2013 Samsung F5700 that I actually really like other than its slow performance with its apps. Target has the J5900 for $59, which seems like a good price. Should I upgrade?

Target.com has the 5900 for $94.99; The 5900 for $84.99 and the 5100 for $49.99. Can you let me/us know how you're seeing the 5900 for $59? If you can get it for that price it's a fantastic price.

As for my post of the other day with my 5900 issues, I have a theory that the DSL modem has the firewall set too aggressively and will test that theory tomorrow when I'm back at that location.

shaun5150 07-10-2015 03:30 PM

I mean 5700 for $84.99. (wtf I can't edit a post a second after posing it?)

ToonMasterTim 07-10-2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun5150 (Post 35674322)
Target.com has the 5900 for $94.99; The 5900 for $84.99 and the 5100 for $49.99. Can you let me/us know how you're seeing the 5900 for $59? If you can get it for that price it's a fantastic price.

As for my post of the other day with my 5900 issues, I have a theory that the DSL modem has the firewall set too aggressively and will test that theory tomorrow when I'm back at that location.

My local Target has one for that price. I am going to head over tonight and pick it up if it's still available. Are the apps responsive or does navigation lag?

shaun5150 07-10-2015 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim (Post 35674570)
My local Target has one for that price. I am going to head over tonight and pick it up if it's still available. Are the apps responsive or does navigation lag?

Here at my house (on a cable modem with a high tomato firmware flashed linksys wirless router) where this works the apps are very quick to respond. The discs load in about a second. The screen mirroring works fantastically as does playing HD .mkv files through a thumb drive or usb hard drive.

Only complains are the no power indicator light and the stupid curved design. Also the textured top and front instead of something that's easy to clean. Other than those cosmetic negative opinions I have this seems like a great unit for the price.

I can't find anybody else complaining about this model and that 'updating time' bug but I brought it back home from my relatives to test it here and it works fine before and after that problem on the DSL and the el cheapo modem/router combo supplied by the phone company. Hopefully lowering the aggressive firewall setting will fix that up.

ToonMasterTim 07-10-2015 05:28 PM

Target didn't have a model number on the sale tag, but it wasn't the J5900 for $59.99. It must have been the entry model. The 5900 was sitting in that spot and it was the only one left. I should have known it was too good to be true. So I went to Best Buy and they're having a sale at about $20 off list price. I was able to get them to price match Amazon for a J5700 for the price I thought I'd get the J5900, so I am happy. Now I just need to hook it up and try it out.

Like you, I don't really like the design because of the dumb curve and ribbed chassis, but as long as it delivers good performance, I don't care. It will be in a cabinet anyway.

ToonMasterTim 07-11-2015 03:15 AM

My first impression is that while the J5900 is not a bad player, I think I will be returning it. I see no compelling reason to upgrade over the F5700. The newer UI is a little prettier, but otherwise, it's pretty much the same, plus, I like the aesthetics of the F5700 better. Netflix is a little more responsive, but not by much. I would have to test it more, but the F5700 was able to get to HD quicker and hold it there; the J5900 took longer and it dropped down to less than HD at one point. Both are wired. It is something I will test more this weekend, however. The remote on the J5900 is the same with the exception that it is no longer back lit, but the F5700 remote will control the J5900, so that is nice. I have never liked this tiny remote though; the buttons are too small and too similar in shape to easily use by feel compared to other remotes I've used. Again, not a bad player, but if you have a player from the past few years, I don't think you're gaining much with an upgrade. The menu options are the same. Netflix on my 2013 F5700 is the same, newer Netflix UI as the J5900 and other devices like the PS3 and Roku, but it is still laggy on the BD player. I'll test more this weekend and post further impressions for others who may be on the fence about upgrading.

shaun5150 07-11-2015 08:02 PM

To update.. fixed my time not set app error by lowering the firewall setting

sa1bot 07-13-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun5150 (Post 35696466)
To update.. fixed my time not set app error by lowering the firewall setting

I am having this exact same issue and it is driving me crazy... What exactly do you mean that you lowered the firewall settings? Did you open up specific ports to the router or just generally lower the settings? I am not very experienced with dealing with these issues and am having difficulty fixing this.

shaun5150 07-13-2015 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa1bot (Post 35724210)
I am having this exact same issue and it is driving me crazy... What exactly do you mean that you lowered the firewall settings? Did you open up specific ports to the router or just generally lower the settings? I am not very experienced with dealing with these issues and am having difficulty fixing this.

I could not figure out what port it was using so just 'lowered' the setting in the dsl modem/wireless router combo the phone company provides. It doesn't work on high or medium. Only low (or off) let it work. It must be an outgoing port the silly router was blocking, which is just ridiculous for any default firewall setting to do.

Please post an update if you figure out a more precise port forward fix.

sa1bot 07-13-2015 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun5150 (Post 35725042)
I could not figure out what port it was using so just 'lowered' the setting in the dsl modem/wireless router combo the phone company provides. It doesn't work on high or medium. Only low (or off) let it work. It must be an outgoing port the silly router was blocking, which is just ridiculous for any default firewall setting to do.

Please post an update if you figure out a more precise port forward fix.

Unfortunately for me my ISP uses a low quality router which makes it impossible to disable the firewall, only open certain ports. I have no option to lower the firewall settings and cannot seem to find a workaround using specific ports. I feel bad as I already returned the wireless version (bdj5900) for the one without wifi (bdj5100) as I thought this was causing the issue but it certainly seems to be related to the router itself ( why oh why did I update the firmware again). I have spent about ~7 hours trying to fix this stupid problem and am fed up and out of patience. I am almost certain I will just return it and purchase another brand which hopefully ends this headache. :mad::mad:

Steven Lin 07-19-2015 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa1bot (Post 35729898)
Unfortunately for me my ISP uses a low quality router which makes it impossible to disable the firewall, only open certain ports. I have no option to lower the firewall settings and cannot seem to find a workaround using specific ports. I feel bad as I already returned the wireless version (bdj5900) for the one without wifi (bdj5100) as I thought this was causing the issue but it certainly seems to be related to the router itself ( why oh why did I update the firmware again). I have spent about ~7 hours trying to fix this stupid problem and am fed up and out of patience. I am almost certain I will just return it and purchase another brand which hopefully ends this headache. :mad::mad:

If the player is using NTP to set the time, then port 123 is what you want to open.

Al J 07-24-2015 10:31 AM

Same problem here -- I use DD-WRT for my router software and have set the J5100's address as the DMZ device -- no ports should be blocked now

Also, I set the TimeZone

And, [dammit] I upgraded the firmware too...

WTF !!

System time is updating.
Please try again later.

mythrenegade 08-01-2015 04:45 PM

I just bought the Costco derivative model for $80. It's hideous, but the picture and sound are good. Despite my dislike of Samsung, I couldn't find another player at this price point that did DTS re-encode to get the best sound from my old Denon AVR-3805.

It works with my old BD-1500 remote which is way better than the pack in. Overall this seems like a good buy, but my son wants to wrap it in a brown paper bag so he doesn't have to look at it :-)

Joel

dcaceres 08-06-2015 10:51 PM

Hi! I buy the model: BD-J5900/ZA from Amazon

I have the same problem after upgrade the firmware to the version B-JM63BSPWWB-1006.1?

I can't open ANY app after the upgrade. It's annoying :-(

Always that I try to open Apps, show a popup message: "System time is updating. Please try again later" and never open the App :-(


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.