Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player- - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2635Likes
Closed Thread

post #3991 of 4063 Old 03-29-2016, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 21
What about the fact that most people don't have the equipment necessary to even play a UHD disk? Not to mention that the format is still being hammered out. Also, even those who "can" play the disks mention a number of issues with HDMI cables, and colors being way off etc., etc. I personally have the UBD-K8500 primarily because I sold all my other equipment and needed a new player so why not "try" to future proof myself with a player that has great up scaling ability with regular Blu-Ray and DVD onto a 4k TV. I do not even own a UHD disk yet and really have no desire to get one...yet. Maybe in the future when push comes to shove and there is nothing else available. But for now the Blu-Ray disks that I have look phenomenal on my new Visio M80-C3 up scaled by my new UBD-K8500 with sound coming from my new Denon AVR-X4200.

I think people in general have no idea "how" to make half of what they own work properly without the help of someone else anyway. And after they probably spent several hundred, if not thousands of dollars, for what they already own to tell them now you have to scrap all that stuff and buy everything brand new just to watch a movie that to most people looks no better than what they already have is going to be a hard sell. The new format will only be adopted by the masses when they have no other choice but to adopt due to a lack in the "older" formats. Or when their current equipment bites the dust and they are forced to buy new.

Just look on this forum at all the very recent activity on DVD's, DLP's, Plasma displays, and even CRT's!
Clearly the majority of people are satisfied with what they already have. And then there are the bleeding edge people like many here on AVS, and then there are people like me who stop just short of that razors edge!
SimpleTheater and sarahb75 like this.

Vizio M80-C3 - Denon AVR-X4200w - Samsung UBD-K8500 - Roku 4 - Charter Spectrum - Logitech Harmony 700 Remote
Axiom VP150-v2 Center - M60-v2 Front Left & Right - 4>QS8-v2 Quad Polar Surrounds - EP500 Front Sub - DIY 12" Rear Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4063 Old 03-29-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 3259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcharger1979 View Post
Alot of people could still care less about Blu-rays I believe. You go to the used section and don't find many Blu-rays in my area.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
The bargain bin at my local supermarket always has fairly recent titles at $5 to $10 each. I have not heard anyone in my neighborhood or at my office refer to DVDs or DVD players in at least five years; in fact, most of the questions I get asked or the comments I hear regarding AV equipment are in reference to Blu-Ray players and hidef content. And, contrary to what most people post on here, the majority of consumers are not just looking to buy the cheapest big screen they can find...many are looking for the highest quality and the most features available for the dollar.

I think that as a group of AV enthusiasts we here at AVSF tend to take on an elitist attitude towards those we consider less sophisticated (aka, "Joe Sixpack"), assuming that they simply "don't care" about the latest advances in AV technology and will gladly settle for anything. But I've overheard people at Best Buy discussing the sharpness of the image, the accuracy of the colors (particularly fleshtones), and the depth of the blacks while looking at the screens of the TVs on display. They may not stress about glossy, highly reflective screens, or lament the trend towards shiny silver frames and bezels like some do on our forum. And they may not use terms like "black level", "HDR", "FALD", or "Soap Opera Effect". But the majority of them have a pretty good idea of what a "good picture" looks like on a TV, and they show their appreciation with their pocketbooks. Over the years, I've witnessed this over and over again, with both male and female consumers, young and old alike. Let's not underestimate our non-enthusiast brethren, gentlemen.
dolfer likes this.
post #3993 of 4063 Old 03-29-2016, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Thumbs up For Many Movies The Improvement Gained With UHD BD May Not Be Worth Re-Buying A Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
What about the fact that most people don't have the equipment necessary to even play a UHD disk? Not to mention that the format is still being hammered out. Also, even those who "can" play the disks mention a number of issues with HDMI cables, and colors being way off etc., etc. I personally have the UBD-K8500 primarily because I sold all my other equipment and needed a new player so why not "try" to future proof myself with a player that has great up scaling ability with regular Blu-Ray and DVD onto a 4k TV. I do not even own a UHD disk yet and really have no desire to get one...yet. Maybe in the future when push comes to shove and there is nothing else available. But for now the Blu-Ray disks that I have look phenomenal on my new Visio M80-C3 up scaled by my new UBD-K8500 with sound coming from my new Denon AVR-X4200.

I think people in general have no idea "how" to make half of what they own work properly without the help of someone else anyway. And after they probably spent several hundred, if not thousands of dollars, for what they already own to tell them now you have to scrap all that stuff and buy everything brand new just to watch a movie that to most people looks no better than what they already have is going to be a hard sell. The new format will only be adopted by the masses when they have no other choice but to adopt due to a lack in the "older" formats. Or when their current equipment bites the dust and they are forced to buy new.

Just look on this forum at all the very recent activity on DVD's, DLP's, Plasma displays, and even CRT's!
Clearly the majority of people are satisfied with what they already have. And then there are the bleeding edge people like many here on AVS, and then there are people like me who stop just short of that razors edge!
I agree with all of your points. Also, we have to remember that up until the present time, the vast majority of UHD 4K TVs sold to consumers lack high dynamic range and wide color gamut capability. So with more than 90% of the UHD TVs that Americans are now using, upconverted Blu-ray discs will look extremely similar to the UHD Blu-ray versions when played on the UBD-K8500, unless viewers are using very large screens, or are sitting very close to the size screens of the UHD TVs that most people have been buying.

On one of the AVS threads, weeks ago, a guy gave a review of the Samsung player and said that even on his 78 inch Samsung (non-HDR capable) UHD 4K TV, of the HU-9000 series, it was hard for him to see a visual advantage with UHD Blu-ray compared to the image that the UBD-K8500 produced with the unconverted 1080p Blu-ray of the same movie. But that man's evaluation actually made me feel pretty good because my wife and I have sunk a lot of money into our 723 movie Blu-ray collection, so it's gratifying to know how well upconverted Blu-ray can stack up. And now, having both just taken early retirement, we sure have a lot of priorities in spending limited resources that take precedence over buying some of our favorite films, on still another format, for the 3rd or 4th time.

Mike Boone
dolfer likes this.

Last edited by sarahb75; 03-29-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: missing word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3994 of 4063 Old 03-29-2016, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 2645 Post(s)
Liked: 5253
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb75 View Post
I agree with all of your points. Also, we have to remember that up until the present time, the vast majority of UHD 4K TVs sold to consumers lack high dynamic range and wide color gamut capability. So with more than 90% of the UHD TVs that Americans are now using, upconverted Blu-ray discs will look extremely similar to the UHD Blu-ray versions when played on the UBD-K8500, unless viewers are using very large screens, or are sitting very close to the size screens of the UHD TVs that most people have been buying.

On one of the AVS threads, weeks ago, a guy gave a review of the Samsung player and said that even on his 78 inch Samsung (non-HDR capable) UHD 4K TV, of the HU-9000 series, it was hard for him to see a visual advantage with UHD Blu-ray compared to the image that the UBD-K8500 produced with the unconverted 1080p Blu-ray of the same movie. But that man's evaluation actually made me feel pretty good because my wife and I have sunk a lot of money into our 723 movie Blu-ray collection, so it's gratifying to know how well upconverted Blu-ray can stack up. And now, having both just taken early retirement, we sure have a lot of priorities in spending limited resources that take precedence over buying some of our favorite films, on still another format, for the 3rd or 4th time.

Mike Boone
I'd be VERY INTERESTED in reading that review. So an owner of the flagship 78 inch version of the HU9000 spent all that money on the largest TV in the lineup, the price of the UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray player but then skimped on not buying the SEK-3500U Evo Kit which would bring HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0a required for HDR to his TV?

Edit

Ohh, never mind, I believe I found the post. Seems to me that "Cliff" was pretty impressed with the K8500 and the quality of UHD Blu-rays even without the benefit of the SEK-3500U Evo Kit.

According to his review the K8500 can even improve on the presentation of standard blu-ray discs which is good news for all of us with large collections of standard Blu-ray discs which will probably never be issued in UHD anyways.

As for those of us with the SEK-3500 I gotta tell you man that HDR is what really makes UHD Blu-ray shine (no pun intended). So for those out there aquiring new titles they can have the best of both worlds since every UHD blu-ray purchase also includes the 1080p disk.

Happy retirement (watching all those disks and the reigning in the budget).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
FIRST IMPRESSIONS FROM AN HU9000 OWNER

This is from "cliff" over at bluray.com that has a 78HU9000 without a sek3500. Cliff works in the movie industry and was gifted a couple of UHD movies that are not released yet so they are secret. Heres his review he just posted.

"Alright... quick first thoughts.

Again, I can't mention the specific titles as they're not out yet, but this player is a winner. At my normal viewing distance (About 11' away from a Samsung 78"), it's difficult to spot immediate differences, but they're there. Fine film grain is so much more clearly resolved and very fine detail along with it. Things that look slightly filtered (especially close up) on the BD are really sharp and natural looking in UHD. My television doesn't have HDR, but color saturation and contrast is slightly improved as well even in SDR. MORE surprisingly, when compared to my Oppo 103, the 8500 even does a slightly better job upconverting 1080p to UHD. When I compared the BD (on the Oppo) and the UHD (on the Samsung) the differences were noticeable (especially up close). There was a shot that contained writing in the background and the BD (on the Oppo) wasn't really legible while the UHD was. The BD viewed on the Samsung was somewhere in between.

The player is also surprisingly fast. I often use the original Spider-Man 2 BD because the JAVA used to choke players (old Pioneers and Sonys took nearly 2 minutes to load it). On the Oppo 103 (one of the fastest players around) it loaded from tray closed to Sony splash screen in 23 seconds. The Samsung did it in 17 seconds. Not a huge difference, but faster is faster.

The UI is also pretty smooth. Navigating through YouTube or Netflix was pretty comparable to my Roku 4, which is saying something for a disc player. Usually those streaming interfaces are clunky and slow. I do agree that the remote is terrible. Too small and easy to hit enter when you think you're hitting up. I added it to my Harmony (as the 7500) and it helped immensely.

Also, the player has adjustment settings when you're playing a disc so that you can adjust color, contrast, brightness, sharpness, tint, audio sync, etc. You won't need these often, but they're sometimes nice to have when discs are less than perfect. There's also no display and just two simple (unobtrusive) lights. It's a good player that doesn't distract on the rack.

This is a far cry from the horrible players Samsung released when Blu-ray launched in 2006. I've been eager for the Panasonic and the Oppo and almost sat out the Samsung based on their history. I'm glad I didn't and this player will make the wait for other players so much easier.
"

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 03-29-2016 at 06:25 PM.
post #3995 of 4063 Old 03-29-2016, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 515
My Take on the Samsung UHD Player

A few weeks ago, I just had to satisfy my curiosity about UHD so I went out and blew the almost 700.00 Canadian dollars on a machine and disappointingly it wasn't the revelation I was expecting.
My Sony 300es can't do HDR or a wider colour range beyond REC. 709, but still the reports from others with the same projector over at the 300/350ES forum was very positive, but I think most of that was just new equipment syndrome _ seeing something that really isn't there...

Don't get me wrong, there was some improvement in sharpness, but this was only apparent in a movie that was produced from a 4K master eg. "Chappie".
At the very beginning of the 3rd scene, the trees and grass did appear much sharper then the 1080p version, all things being equal.
For reference the 1080p version was played on my HTPC with MPC-HC and MadVR as the output filter with the GTX 980 doing the upscaling to 2160p, this gives a slight edge over the Samsung upscaling.
But in the end the native UHD disc was cleaner over-all and small back ground images like trees and grass did look better.

However when it came to an UHD disc created from a 2K master, I could not see any real improvement in definition, certainly none in the "Peanuts Movie" and none that I could see in "X Men Days Of Future Past"
There were some scenes of trees, but they were in the back ground on a "pan" and there was so much frame judder, I couldn't tell if they were any sharper in the UHD disc or the 1080p disc.
The mess from all the frame judder destroyed any discernable definition.

So what does this mean, I am still looking forward to movies that were produced from a 4K master, like "The Revenant", although I don't know if it was produced from a 4K master.
The numerous scenes of trees and landscapes should be like looking through a window, but with out some sort of FI in the chain, I think any gain here will be lost.

As for my 700.00 bucks, it's back in my pocket, the marginal gain from UHD (with my setup) was not worth it.
x21inc likes this.
post #3996 of 4063 Old 03-29-2016, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 3259
Perhaps you'll get better results with the Sony UHD BLU-Ray player when it's released later this year.
post #3997 of 4063 Old 03-29-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 2645 Post(s)
Liked: 5253
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
A few weeks ago, I just had to satisfy my curiosity about UHD so I went out and blew the almost 700.00 Canadian dollars on a machine and disappointingly it wasn't the revelation I was expecting.
My Sony 300es can't do HDR or a wider colour range beyond REC. 709, but still the reports from others with the same projector over at the 300/350ES forum was very positive, but I think most of that was just new equipment syndrome _ seeing something that really isn't there...

Don't get me wrong, there was some improvement in sharpness, but this was only apparent in a movie that was produced from a 4K master eg. "Chappie".
At the very beginning of the 3rd scene, the trees and grass did appear much sharper then the 1080p version, all things being equal.
For reference the 1080p version was played on my HTPC with MPC-HC and MadVR as the output filter with the GTX 980 doing the upscaling to 2160p, this gives a slight edge over the Samsung upscaling.
But in the end the native UHD disc was cleaner over-all and small back ground images like trees and grass did look better.

However when it came to an UHD disc created from a 2K master, I could not see any real improvement in definition, certainly none in the "Peanuts Movie" and none that I could see in "X Men Days Of Future Past"
There were some scenes of trees, but they were in the back ground on a "pan" and there was so much frame judder, I couldn't tell if they were any sharper in the UHD disc or the 1080p disc.
The mess from all the frame judder destroyed any discernable definition.

So what does this mean, I am still looking forward to movies that were produced from a 4K master, like "The Revenant", although I don't know if it was produced from a 4K master.
The numerous scenes of trees and landscapes should be like looking through a window, but with out some sort of FI in the chain, I think any gain here will be lost.

As for my 700.00 bucks, it's back in my pocket, the marginal gain from UHD (with my setup) was not worth it.
Hey fellow Canuck. Wow for the MSRP of that projector too bad it didn't come with an upgrade path to enable HDMI 2.0a and HDR. Oh well at least you are seeing some "marginal gain".

Would be a shame if your projector all of a sudden fell off the ceiling and you had to make an insurance claim!

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
post #3998 of 4063 Old 03-29-2016, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Hey fellow Canuck. Wow for the MSRP of that projector too bad it didn't come with an upgrade path to enable HDMI 2.0a and HDR. Oh well at least you are seeing some "marginal gain".

Would be a shame if your projector all of a sudden fell off the ceiling and you had to make an insurance claim!

I paid 7000.00$ Canadian for it, all in, slightly used with 79 hours on the lamp _ not sorry I did.
The picture it throws never gets old, the down side of it is that the Smooth Motion doesn't work at 2160p.
I'd have to sell off a few things to raise money for the 5000es and I'm not willing to do that.

Ha Ha, yes insurance, it sits on shelf made from one inch birch plywood anchored to the wall with some very large wood screws into the 2X4's _ the shelf would hold an elephant.

Maybe sometime down the line if any of the new DLP 4k chips have some sort of FI maybe then, I don't really care about HDR.
With me it's one of those things I have to see side by side to see a difference, I'm way more sensitive to how sharp a picture is and frame judder.
post #3999 of 4063 Old 03-29-2016, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Perhaps you'll get better results with the Sony UHD BLU-Ray player when it's released later this year.
I can't see that happening, unless Sony incorporates some sort of Motion Flow in that player, but no Blu-ray player has ever had that feature.
The only way to get what I want is when Cyberlink releases their UHD version, that will allow me to use AMD's Fluid Motion with the new Polaris card.

Or if AACS 2.0 is over come and I can simply use MPC-HC and my present computer based FI system.
post #4000 of 4063 Old 03-29-2016, 07:10 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 9117 Post(s)
Liked: 5851
I got my K8500 from HHGregg today. They were certainly quick since I ordered it two days ago. But they didn't double box it. So there are shipping stickers on the actual box. It came with the 1001 firmware. The disc tray seems as quiet as the one I had from BestBuy, but the fan is louder. But still not loud enough to cause any issues.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4001 of 4063 Old 03-30-2016, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
I paid 7000.00$ Canadian for it, all in, slightly used with 79 hours on the lamp _ not sorry I did.
The picture it throws never gets old, the down side of it is that the Smooth Motion doesn't work at 2160p.
I'd have to sell off a few things to raise money for the 5000es and I'm not willing to do that.

Ha Ha, yes insurance, it sits on shelf made from one inch birch plywood anchored to the wall with some very large wood screws into the 2X4's _ the shelf would hold an elephant.

Maybe sometime down the line if any of the new DLP 4k chips have some sort of FI maybe then, I don't really care about HDR.
With me it's one of those things I have to see side by side to see a difference, I'm way more sensitive to how sharp a picture is and frame judder.
From my personal experience with the Sony 500/600ES, projectors just cannot produce the image quality that is needed to see a major difference in the image from HD to UHD. That is probably why you did not see much difference. The higher resolution alone will not be appreciated, especially with the great upscaling that a lot of equipment already does to BD. You need HDR and wide color gamut to really see the picture/image difference with the UHD discs.
tjenkins95 and King Richard like this.
post #4002 of 4063 Old 03-30-2016, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I finally broke down and just ordered this player in stock from bb, been trying to hold out for the Panasonic but just couldn't any longer. Even after reading about all the glitches it may or may not have with my combo I figured what the hell lets just try it and see for myself. I am sure there will be more firmware updates and probably get better down the road, get me by for a while until a really good worked out player hits the market. I will be running it through my Denon 7200WA to a Sony XBR-79X900B display (I know, no HDR), really curious if I will see any improvement with my non HDR display. All my HDMI runs are under 10' with overpriced Kordz THX certified cables, let the headaches begin lol.
aaronwt and King Richard like this.
post #4003 of 4063 Old 03-31-2016, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaseman View Post

Good lord, the players have barely hit the market and your saying that it will basically be a failure unless the masses have no other choice. I remember reading the same things about CD's, BD's. UHD BD is yet another part of the evolution of the disc format and it seems like the progression has been pretty successful so far. As for this enthusiast, enjoying the heck out of UHD BD's.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion F15's (LCR) Fusion 8's (SS) -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - SVS SB1000 >BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
post #4004 of 4063 Old 03-31-2016, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 2062
Please stick to the topic of the player not whether or not the format will succeed.
celestica and connect42 like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #4005 of 4063 Old 03-31-2016, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic teletubby View Post
Good lord, the players have barely hit the market and your saying that it will basically be a failure unless the masses have no other choice. I remember reading the same things about CD's, BD's. UHD BD is yet another part of the evolution of the disc format and it seems like the progression has been pretty successful so far. As for this enthusiast, enjoying the heck out of UHD BD's.
I never said the format would fail. Just responding to the poster who wondered why there has been little promotion of the new UHD format. It's a tough sell to get people to replace all their equipment just to watch the same movies they probably already have in another format. I am just starting to replace some of my DVD's with Blu-ray now. So to replace them all again is getting too cost prohibitive.
Love the player though. I have had no problems with it running through my AVR. Since I only watch Blu-rays and the occasional DVD I have it set to output 1080 and everything else on auto. The AVR just passes the signal without any manipulation and I let the TV do the up scaling that it is going to do anyway. I think the TV does a great job of up scaling. So I have had no HDMI issues or any other problems with the player. I use ROKU for streaming so no problems there either.
connect42 likes this.

Vizio M80-C3 - Denon AVR-X4200w - Samsung UBD-K8500 - Roku 4 - Charter Spectrum - Logitech Harmony 700 Remote
Axiom VP150-v2 Center - M60-v2 Front Left & Right - 4>QS8-v2 Quad Polar Surrounds - EP500 Front Sub - DIY 12" Rear Sub
post #4006 of 4063 Old 04-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked: 2062
Not the area for software sales. Stick to the topic of the player, please.
I WANT MORE and jeep05 like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #4007 of 4063 Old 04-01-2016, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So, I just received the UBD-K8500 4K today and what a disappointment. First, my TV is not HRD. It's a Sony XBR70X850B, but based on some of the reviews I have read on-line, the player would still play native 4K.

When I put Life of Pi, I got a message that there was no DCHCP 2.2. compatible TV or HDMI connection, so the movie would be played in HD. Then I tried Mad Max, 4K, no messages, only that the TV was not HDR, which was fine. The image, to be honest was worse than the Blu-Ray image. I did a comparison, and the colors were simply dull.

So, my conclusion is that, you must have HDR TV, otherwise, an upscaling 4K Blu-ray player yields the same result as this player. I tried messing with some of the settings, but I did not see anything that would improve the quality of the image. It seems that because the TV is not HDR, the player might downgrade the image quality, which in my opinion, is not better than the blu-ray quality. The entrance scene from Mad Max, the blue is way darker in the 4K version, while the blu-ray version is clear, rich, so much better.

Are you guys experiencing the same results with non HDR? Is it worth keeping this product, or wait for another products to hit the market?

Last edited by marcelolucas; 04-01-2016 at 10:01 PM.
post #4008 of 4063 Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelolucas View Post
So, I just received the UBD-K8500 4K today and what a disappointment. First, my TV is not HRD. It's a Sony XBR70X850B, but based on some of the reviews I have read on-line, the player would still play native 4K.

When I put Life of Pi, I got a message that there was no DCHCP 2.2. compatible TV or HDMI connection, so the movie would be played in HD. Then I tried Mad Max, 4K, no messages, only that the TV was not HDR, which was fine. The image, to be honest was worse than the Blu-Ray image. I did a comparison, and the colors were simply dull.

So, my conclusion is that, you must have HDR TV, otherwise, an upscaling 4K Blu-ray player yields the same result as this player. I tried messing with some of the settings, but I did not see anything that would improve the quality of the image. It seems that because the TV is not HDR, the player might downgrade the image quality, which in my opinion, is not better than the blu-ray quality. The entrance scene from Mad Max, the blue is way darker in the 4K version, while the blu-ray version is clear, rich, so much better.

Are you guys experiencing the same results with non HDR? Is it worth keeping this product, or wait for another products to hit the market?

I am surprised at your results. I have a Sony 65X900B and I see a difference between regular blu ray and 4K dvd. It is better with some 4k disks than other. Mad Max, Sicario, The Martian and The Amazing Spiderman 2 look great.

Adjustments are critical. I have found that the overall picture is sharper and more defined when using picture mode "User Mode" (under tools, picture mode when the disc is playing). My guess that there is some noise reduction going on in Dynamic, Standard and Movie mode.

Make sure you have resolution on the K8500 on AUTO or 2160. For starters have everything else on Auto and then make changes that work for your display.

Also make sure you are using the correct HDMI input on your TV. I can only use HDMI 1 and 2 to get the full compliant 4k image. You should by pass any AVR until you get a handle on the picture. Make sure you also have a good quality HDMI cable that is to the current HDMI spec. Good luck, experiment more. Please note that there is a difference but it is not day and night but is noticeable. Thanks.
jeep05 likes this.
post #4009 of 4063 Old 04-02-2016, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

For a 1st gen UHD player I think this machine is remarkable. But, with anything new you are bound to have a few tribulations. I originally ran a single HDMI to my avr then out to the tv. It wasn't problematic per say but did have a few quirks. When I switched to dual HDMI, it was game on. Let your tv do the video processing and avr do the audio.
aaronwt, jeep05, sarahb75 and 1 others like this.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion F15's (LCR) Fusion 8's (SS) -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - SVS SB1000 >BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
post #4010 of 4063 Old 04-02-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic teletubby View Post
For a 1st gen UHD player I think this machine is remarkable. But, with anything new you are bound to have a few tribulations. I originally ran a single HDMI to my avr then out to the tv. It wasn't problematic per say but did have a few quirks. When I switched to dual HDMI, it was game on. Let your tv do the video processing and avr do the audio.
Hello Toxic teletubby!

Thanks for the reply. I did what you suggested, and I did not get the DCHP 2.2, so I connected the player straight on the TV bypassing the AVR. When you mention Dual HDMI, what are you making referencing to? The image does look like an upscale blu-ray, and I was not impressed by it. I might be doing something wrong, but I am still not convinced.
post #4011 of 4063 Old 04-02-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
I am surprised at your results. I have a Sony 65X900B and I see a difference between regular blu ray and 4K dvd. It is better with some 4k disks than other. Mad Max, Sicario, The Martian and The Amazing Spiderman 2 look great.

Adjustments are critical. I have found that the overall picture is sharper and more defined when using picture mode "User Mode" (under tools, picture mode when the disc is playing). My guess that there is some noise reduction going on in Dynamic, Standard and Movie mode.

Make sure you have resolution on the K8500 on AUTO or 2160. For starters have everything else on Auto and then make changes that work for your display.

Also make sure you are using the correct HDMI input on your TV. I can only use HDMI 1 and 2 to get the full compliant 4k image. You should by pass any AVR until you get a handle on the picture. Make sure you also have a good quality HDMI cable that is to the current HDMI spec. Good luck, experiment more. Please note that there is a difference but it is not day and night but is noticeable. Thanks.
Hello Acermen1212!

I checked the settings and everything is in AUTO. I bypassed the AVR, and got a new HDMI cable, and connected the player straight on the TV. I am glad we have similar models "B" but the 900 is a better TV than the 850. However, I don't see a big difference. Mad Max entrance scene with the blue sky, is not as blue as the blu-ray version, not sure why. What are you referencing when you say "User Mode" is that on the TV settings?

I am still not impressed with the results, to be honest, I have played some 4K videos on a USB drive, and they're giving me a better resolution that the player....any thoughts?

Thanks!
post #4012 of 4063 Old 04-02-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4503 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Quote:
Hello Acermen1212!

I checked the settings and everything is in AUTO. I bypassed the AVR, and got a new HDMI cable, and connected the player straight on the TV. I am glad we have similar models "B" but the 900 is a better TV than the 850. However, I don't see a big difference. Mad Max entrance scene with the blue sky, is not as blue as the blu-ray version, not sure why. What are you referencing when you say "User Mode" is that on the TV settings?

I am still not impressed with the results, to be honest, I have played some 4K videos on a USB drive, and they're giving me a better resolution that the player....any thoughts?

Thanks!
Play a UHD Blu-ray and then you can bring up the settings in the player. One of the modes is User Mode. That should bypass any internal processing if set at 0. Some of these Sony UHD TV's must be on Enhanced HDMI mode as well. The TV has to be restarted after you change the setting.

Some of the problem is that there are no pro calibration disc tools for UHD Blu-ray yet and all the video features you may encounter on the discs based on various encoding methods (color gamut, bit depth, contrast range, HDR, etc.).

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 04-02-2016 at 10:16 AM.
post #4013 of 4063 Old 04-02-2016, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Hello Acermen1212!

Thanks!
Mad Max was shot and mastered in 2K and then upconverted digitally to 4K for the UHD release. It is unfortunately not a native 4K movie hence your disappointment. I feel the same as you do since i really expected more from a UHD disc. Some scenes look great but still not topping bluray by much. I have decided to only purchase UHD movies with a 4K or more master from now on.
post #4014 of 4063 Old 04-03-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Play a UHD Blu-ray and then you can bring up the settings in the player. One of the modes is User Mode. That should bypass any internal processing if set at 0. Some of these Sony UHD TV's must be on Enhanced HDMI mode as well. The TV has to be restarted after you change the setting.

Some of the problem is that there are no pro calibration disc tools for UHD Blu-ray yet and all the video features you may encounter on the discs based on various encoding methods (color gamut, bit depth, contrast range, HDR, etc.).
I modified the specs in the User Mode and tried to match some of the colors I like in the blu-ray version. I was able to get close, but I don't think the difference is that big. There is some diference, of course, the image is a bit more defined, but you really have to pay attention. Some scenes look better than others, but overall, I am not sure if I want to spend $400 just for a few details. I decided to return the unit and wait, until Sony releases a player, which according to some reports out there will be until 2017. I am actually very satisfied with the 4K content in Netflix, and some movies I have been able to put on a USB.
post #4015 of 4063 Old 04-03-2016, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by x21inc View Post
Mad Max was shot and mastered in 2K and then upconverted digitally to 4K for the UHD release. It is unfortunately not a native 4K movie hence your disappointment. I feel the same as you do since i really expected more from a UHD disc. Some scenes look great but still not topping bluray by much. I have decided to only purchase UHD movies with a 4K or more master from now on.
Have you seen Life of Pi? It is also 2K, but I believe it is one of the best looking UHD movies in terms of PQ. Plus, I watched Expendables 3 which is supposed to be a "true 4K" movie and wasn't that impressed. People with the new Vizio P Series TV say that Mad Max with Dolby Vision looks awesome... better than the HDR10 version. Go figure

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
post #4016 of 4063 Old 04-03-2016, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1693 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by buju22 View Post
Have you seen Life of Pi? It is also 2K, but I believe it is one of the best looking UHD movies in terms of PQ. Plus, I watched Expendables 3 which is supposed to be a "true 4K" movie and wasn't that impressed. People with the new Vizio P Series TV say that Mad Max with Dolby Vision looks awesome... better than the HDR10 version. Go figure

How can they compare the two? The P series don't do both do they?

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
post #4017 of 4063 Old 04-03-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Well some folks who have bought the P Series also have a Samsung JSxxxx TV along with the UHD Bluray player. As you may know, Vudu has Mad Max 4K with Dolby Vision to stream/download. So a lot of comparisons are being done between Vizio and Samsung TVs.

I have a JS8500 and I'm on the fence about picking up a P Series too. Think I'm gonna wait until they incorporate HDR10 in a few months.

post #4018 of 4063 Old 04-04-2016, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

It's not the players fault. It's user error. You have to connect the HDMI to the HCP2.2 HDMI input on your tv for the 4K resolution to actually be output from the player. It's will work on a non HDR 4K TV or a HDR 4K tv as long as the right input is used.
post #4019 of 4063 Old 04-04-2016, 06:01 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 9117 Post(s)
Liked: 5851
Quote:

I think it looks great with HDR10 from the K8500. At least on my Sony 850C it does. The only issue with Mad Max UHD BD is the grain in many shots(which is also there on the BD). So I do watch it a little farther back than other UHD BD titles. But it looks much better with HDR than the BD in SDR.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4020 of 4063 Old 04-05-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Well some folks who have bought the P Series also have a Samsung JSxxxx TV along with the UHD Bluray player. As you may know, Vudu has Mad Max 4K with Dolby Vision to stream/download. So a lot of comparisons are being done between Vizio and Samsung TVs.

I have a JS8500 and I'm on the fence about picking up a P Series too. Think I'm gonna wait until they incorporate HDR10 in a few months.

Shouldn't a format comparison be done on the same tv. Like playing dv and hdr10 on two p series. Introducing two diffrent tvs adds a lot of variable, in the end your only comparing the capabilities of the two sets. In order to do a proper comparison it needs to be done on the same sets. Deosnt matter if they compared the p series with a 940c or js9500.
CCsoftball7 and Musician like this.

Samsung-UN65JS9500
LG-55UB8500
LG-65C7P
Samsung-65Q9FN

Last edited by Rf13; 04-05-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
ces 2016 , Samsung , UBD-K8500 , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page