AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Players (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/)
-   -   Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player- (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2121802-samsung-ubd-k8500-4k-hdr-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player.html)

Spizz 09-03-2015 04:11 AM

Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player-

1 Attachment(s)
Just announced. More info to come.

http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...ung-ubd-k8500/
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1351...ut-at-ifa-2015

And the first 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Coming from Fox- Kingsman: The Secret Service

Quote:

The Blu-ray Disc Association also revealed that Kingsman: The Secret Service will be 20th Century Fox's first Ultra HD Blu-ray release. It will come with a 4K version, conventional Blu-ray and digital HD copy although we are still awaiting how much these releases will cost.

Spizz 09-03-2015 04:40 AM

Latinoheat 09-03-2015 09:11 AM

My predictions were right, everyone was hoping for a Christmas debut including myself but I said from the beginning most likely it will be early next year. As well as the pricing around $500. Next year the PS4 will likely come out with an updated 4K UHD upgrade also so it will be something to keep an eye on.

Pretty ugly looking player too, is it just me or the front looks curved? Can't wait for OPPO, Pioneer, Panasonic and Sony's to come out.

Disappointing at the 1st UHD bluray they chose. They should of waited and released a Blockbuster movie not some average flick in my OP?

wxman 09-03-2015 12:02 PM

Only one HDMI and one optical port. Not good for those of us that have older receivers. Here a link to some pics of the player.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/...y-disc-player/

imagic 09-03-2015 03:38 PM

JazzGuyy 09-03-2015 03:49 PM

Yes, it is curved. To match curved TVs of course. The silliness continues.

ti-triodes 09-03-2015 04:14 PM

Wake me up when OPPO announces their 4K player.

wuther 09-03-2015 06:12 PM

Surprised it's a 2016 release maybe other manufacturers will beat that. Samsung does not have much a reputation for BD players but then again my old Sony BD player crapped out this year... Come on Toshiba....

Stanton 09-04-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuther (Post 37017962)
Surprised it's a 2016 release maybe other manufacturers will beat that. Samsung does not have much a reputation for BD players but then again my old Sony BD player crapped out this year... Come on Toshiba....

My Samsung BD player is still going strong after 7 years...and the DVD up-convert still looks as good as many newer players! I will probably hang on to it when I upgrade to UHD next year.

wuther 09-04-2015 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanton (Post 37035642)
My Samsung BD player is still going strong after 7 years...and the DVD up-convert still looks as good as many newer players! I will probably hang on to it when I upgrade to UHD next year.

I am not suggesting Samsung players give up the ghost like older Sony players had a habit of doing just ranked on the low side.

Stanton 09-08-2015 09:19 AM

I almost wish they would provide a DVD along with the UHD BD (instead of a standard BD). If I have a UHD player, I'm not going to play the non-UHD disk! If I don't have a UHD player, I will probably buy the non-UHD version since it will be cheaper. I understand they want to provide an "upgrade path" to UHD, but at least I can play the DVD in almost any PC, etc.

PC_ 09-08-2015 07:45 PM

nice, I hope Netflix will have UHD disc

kristoffer77 09-09-2015 11:56 PM

This player looks ugly and it lacks analog out, which is a must for me.
Also it needs to have both DVD and BD support.

Stanton 09-10-2015 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristoffer77 (Post 37176098)
This player looks ugly and it lacks analog out, which is a must for me.
Also it needs to have both DVD and BD support.

What makes you think it will not play DVDs (or CDs for that matter)? Not only has every vendor pretty much guaranteed "backward compatibility" with digital technologies, but they would be stupid not to (how many people want to keep a DVD and BD and UHD player on their shelf)! As for the analog out, copy protection has pretty much relegated any hi-rez video connection (like component) virtually obsolete; and analog audio out is worthless for surround sound. Look at the I/O on new TVs and AVRs: all HDMI (and optical for lossy audio) and maybe a couple of component inputs (which are then "up-converted" to HDMI).

Cla55clown 09-12-2015 09:16 AM

A curved chassis...uuggghh :confused: I know which UHD blu-ray I won't be buying. Waitin' for an Oppo.

Stanton 09-12-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cla55clown (Post 37240578)
A curved chassis...uuggghh :confused: I know which UHD blu-ray I won't be buying. Waitin' for an Oppo.

You'll be waiting a long time; Oppo has said not until late 2016 ;)
I don't like curved (anything) either, but I have had good luck with my current Samsung (BD-P2550) and I expect Samsung and Panasonic to be the first out of the gate with UHD players (I won't buy anything Sony) :cool:

ConnecTEDDD 09-13-2015 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ti-triodes (Post 37015306)
Wake me up when OPPO announces their 4K player.

Hi, OPPO has no plans to release a UHD unit until the end of 2016. Info came by contacting OPPO via email.

Cla55clown 09-15-2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanton (Post 37241394)
You'll be waiting a long time; Oppo has said not until late 2016 ;)
I don't like curved (anything) either, but I have had good luck with my current Samsung (BD-P2550) and I expect Samsung and Panasonic to be the first out of the gate with UHD players (I won't buy anything Sony) :cool:

That's fine with me. Haven't sprung for a UHD set yet and the 4K format is still coming into its own. I'm more of a 2nd quarter adopter.

bargervais 09-15-2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cla55clown (Post 37317522)
That's fine with me. Haven't sprung for a UHD set yet and the 4K format is still coming into its own. I'm more of a 2nd quarter adopter.

Second generation or 4th quarter adopter I'm not, I love to be in the thick of things even if I come out all bloody, life is too short I want to live it now.

HDfury 09-24-2015 07:26 AM

78 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

We have been told that this player will be able to add HDR to the output even if the BR/DVD disc (whatever is played) doesn't have HDR.
the K8500 SoC will analyze video and through algo will send self generated HDR signal to the HDMI TX for combining it on the output.

KidHorn 09-24-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDfury (Post 37539154)
Hi guys,

We have been told that this player will be able to add HDR to the output even if the BR/DVD disc (whatever is played) doesn't have HDR.
the K8500 SoC will analyze video and through algo will send self generated HDR signal to the HDMI TX for combining it on the output.

Sounds like the fake 3D option on my TV. I guess as long as it can be turned off, there's no harm in including it.

KidHorn 09-24-2015 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wxman (Post 37008138)
Only one HDMI and one optical port. Not good for those of us that have older receivers.

I'm not sure having 2 HDMI outs works for older receivers like 3D did. The issue is the HDCP 2.2 encoding. If your receiver can't hand shake with a 2.2 source, it won't do anything. I haven't read anything one way or the other if 2 HDMI outputs will work.

HDfury 09-24-2015 07:59 AM

78 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KidHorn (Post 37539538)
Sounds like the fake 3D option on my TV. I guess as long as it can be turned off, there's no harm in including it.

hehe, i guess you mean that 2D > 3D conversion, if so yes, we can only agree ;)... However i heard such conversion have a future for converting 2D for occulus rift, but it needs some extra processing.

This self-generated HDR option for content lacking of HDR metadata in infoframe could be interesting, it all depends how the algo works, on the paper it looks easier to generate HDR signals rather than create "real immersive" 3D signal out of a 2D one.

Anyway, it won't do anything as long as you are not connected to a HDR capable display as defined in its EDID table and its prolly off by default even if you have HDR display.

Stanton 09-24-2015 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDfury (Post 37540074)
Anyway, it won't do anything as long as you are not connected to a HDR capable display as defined in its EDID table and its prolly off by default even if you have HDR display.

This is my biggest worry for future HDR content (even if my display is HDR capable). Early reports of "dim" or "washed out" HDR streaming (whether Amazon or Netflix) being display dependent are not encouraging.

HDfury 09-24-2015 11:41 AM

78 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanton (Post 37540946)
This is my biggest worry for future HDR content (even if my display is HDR capable). Early reports of "dim" or "washed out" HDR streaming (whether Amazon or Netflix) being display dependent are not encouraging.

True, easy fix: remove HDR capability from edid if it becomes too annoying ;)

Stanton 09-24-2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDfury (Post 37546170)
True, easy fix: remove HDR capability from edid if it becomes too annoying ;)

And how do we know this will be possible with a Blu-Ray player? Or am I missing something?

HDfury 09-24-2015 05:12 PM

78 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanton (Post 37547306)
And how do we know this will be possible with a Blu-Ray player? Or am I missing something?

In the first place you turn that off in the menu ;)
The ultimate solution if you are a HDR hater: you remove capability from display EDID, so source believes its connected to a no-HDR display and therefor no HDR signal will be present on source output. but we are going off topic here.
This is assuming HDR capability is listed in EDID as per CEA861-3 but it seems its not the case yet.

Sound & Vision 09-27-2015 04:16 PM

Ultra HD Blu Rays will spin out 1GB of data per minute...... Sow what exactly does that mean........... Here we go all over again....... Those dreaded Layer changes or even worse, multiple Layer changes during the middle of a movie........ When I go to a movie theater and watch a movie I don't expect to see layer changes........ So why would anyone want to see them at home...... It takes away from the whole Movie experiance....... I don't care how brief it is, I don't want to see it..... I really hope for Samsung's /Panasonic's sake that they are seamless or not at all which would require atleast a 120GB HD Blu Ray just to cover a two hour movie, and that's not including the fancy menus and any extras... I'll be watching closely to see how this one plays out before I plunk down any cash on this player....... I think they are working on a 300GB HD Blu Ray spec....... But is it seamless or with multiple layer changes......... Multiple layer changes and I'm sitting this round out and focusing on 4K seamless streaming.

bommai 09-27-2015 09:44 PM

16 Attachment(s)
I think it is a mistake to require audio and video combined into one cable during format changes such as this. I am not ready to give up my NAD T775HD receiver. It does HDMI 1.4 fine and does all the lossless audio codecs. However, I want any future Bluray player to send just the audio in HDMI 1.4 to this unit and send 4K video separately. Wouldn't that be cool. I bet they can't do that!

Stanton 09-28-2015 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bommai (Post 37622738)
I think it is a mistake to require audio and video combined into one cable during format changes such as this. I am not ready to give up my NAD T775HD receiver. It does HDMI 1.4 fine and does all the lossless audio codecs. However, I want any future Bluray player to send just the audio in HDMI 1.4 to this unit and send 4K video separately. Wouldn't that be cool. I bet they can't do that!

I think the days of separate audio/video cables are gone for 2 reasons:
1) Copy protection (they only want to secure 1 "pipe")
2) The audio data rates for multi-channel, loss-less audio have simply exceeded the (old) digital port specs and I don't see them creating a (new) audio-only standard just to require another cable again