Cambridge CXU - another Oppo 105D blu ray killer... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Vader424242
  • 1 Post By Khorn
  • 1 Post By Signal to Noise

post #1 of 21 Old 11-23-2015, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Cambridge CXU - another Oppo 105D blu ray killer...

According to the reviews of the new Cambridge CXU blu ray player - it looks like another Oppo 105D blu ray killer along with the newer Pioneer Elite 88FD.

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-25-2016, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade to a high-end blu-ray player, and have narrowed my choices down to these two (Oppo 105D and CA CXU). Thus far, I have not been able to find any reviews that pit both units against one another - just some that mention the other in passing. Is there anyone out there who has experience with both (the unit as well as the respective CS). Thanks!

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

Last edited by Vader424242; 03-26-2016 at 12:44 PM.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-25-2016, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Where's the "killing" part?

My Name is Nobody...
Klipsch x11i - Klipsch x20i - Oppo HA2
Pioneer SC85 - Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch La Scala II - Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio - Klipsch RC64II - SW-115
Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse - OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-26-2016, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post
Where's the "killing" part?
Exactly. Not sure why this or the Elite would be an Oppo killer. Personally, I wouldn't buy any of these now (but am glad I bought the Oppo 105 a few years back) since they are quite expensive and do not play 4k material (if I was in the market, I would get a cheap player now and wait for a 4k player from Oppo or Cambridge). My 105 will do quite nicely until I upgrade to 4k in a few years. IMO, it's actually strange to release this player now (Oppo is waiting for 4k before replacing the 103/105).
post #5 of 21 Old 03-26-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Exactly. Not sure why this or the Elite would be an Oppo killer. Personally, I wouldn't buy any of these now (but am glad I bought the Oppo 105 a few years back) since they are quite expensive and do not play 4k material (if I was in the market, I would get a cheap player now and wait for a 4k player from Oppo or Cambridge). My 105 will do quite nicely until I upgrade to 4k in a few years. IMO, it's actually strange to release this player now (Oppo is waiting for 4k before replacing the 103/105).
That makes perfect sense if you are planning on upgrading to 4k. Given all of the online authentication stuff floating around (which is a complete deal-breaker for me, even if it is only in potential), I am looking to get the best player available (within my budget, of course) that does not have any of that nonsense. I am fine sticking with 1080p for the foreseeable future....
New24K likes this.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #6 of 21 Old 03-27-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
This player was released late August 2015, not new. Aside from the front it is almost identical from the rear to the Oppo BDP-103/103D series, not the more expensive 105/105D series. Different DAC's, upsampling, little to none internet apps, yep a real killer, same as Pioneer 88FD.

Yes kinda a weird time to be crowing about BD products since all are gearing for the next 4K UHD BD generation.

Oppo Beta Group

Last edited by JohnAV; 03-27-2016 at 09:58 AM.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-27-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Yes kinda a weird time to be crowing about BD products since all are gearing for the next 4K UHD BD generation.
Not all....

Peace... Vader

post #8 of 21 Old 04-14-2016, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am thinking of getting the CA CXU. Main reason is to free up AV component shelf space. The CXU would allow me to unload a PS3 that I use predominantly for Bluray playback and a CA Azur 650C CD player. Might even be able to remove a CA (yes, I like Cambridge Audio) Azur DacMagic that is used for SONOS. The CXU will also allow for connections to both my Denon AVR-X4000 receiver, CA Azur 650A amp for two-channel music listening, and possibly SONOS system.

Question is as far as Bluray playback is concerned would I continue to allow the Denon to process the audio or opt for the CXU to do it now?

Audio + Video = Bliss

Ears: Denon | Cambridge Audio | Polk | Totem | Martin Logan | Mission | KEF
Eyes: Panasonic plasma | Samsung lcd
post #9 of 21 Old 06-16-2016, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought the CXU as a replacement for my dying Sony SCD1 and I'm really blown away by the SQ. I've probably spent as much as the cost of the unit on new Cd's and SACD's since buying it a few months ago.

The Video is also first rate. I consider the CXU a real BARGOON !!!
AVfile likes this.

"Music? We ain't got no music. We don't need no music. I don't have to
show you any stinking music. We have equipment."
post #10 of 21 Old 11-21-2016, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I ended up buying the CXU as well. It was on my "wish list" for a while and then it became heavily discounted in price so I could not resist. It arrives today or tomorrow2. Sure Universal UHD players are on their way out but I'm the type that tends to wait for the dust to settle before jumping into the new tech fray. My reasons for getting it are explained in previous above post. I plan to test out the SACD thru HDMI (to a Denon AVR-X4000) as well as 5.1 analog to see/hear if the onboard CXU DACs sound better than the receiver. Can't wait!
TommyC71 likes this.

Audio + Video = Bliss

Ears: Denon | Cambridge Audio | Polk | Totem | Martin Logan | Mission | KEF
Eyes: Panasonic plasma | Samsung lcd
post #11 of 21 Old 12-08-2016, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had planned to buy one before the end of the year. But the only movie rental store in town has just shut it's doors. I think prices for any type of player will fall in due time. There are not any mail/red box around either.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-09-2016, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Most people don't plan their hardware purchase based upon their ability to rent media. I'm sure the majority of people willing to spend this amount of money on a player, actually buy a majority of their own media.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-02-2017, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cxu

I had 751BD for three years, then I bought CXU as a replacement. By the way I use TEAC DV-50 as an audioplayer (itś universal DVD player)- itś qualities are without discussions. CXU is a great leap forward compare to 751BD in audio performance. Not so much in video. In sound quality It almost reaches to DV-50, though TEAC plays it better. I reccomend CXU to everyone, who wants to play good sound. Itś also a very good stereo player with a little competition in a category under 1500 EUR.
post #14 of 21 Old 01-02-2017, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean valjean View Post
By the way I use TEAC DV-50 as an audioplayer (itś universal DVD player)- itś qualities are without discussions.
That's a great unit for audio and I remember when it came out. I've held onto my Denon 2200 player, which also uses the Burr-Brown DACs, to play CDs, SACDs and a few DVD-As I have in my collection.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-02-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFR View Post
That's a great unit for audio and I remember when it came out. I've held onto my Denon 2200 player, which also uses the Burr-Brown DACs, to play CDs, SACDs and a few DVD-As I have in my collection.
Yes, DV-50 is great player, well built, heavy, bullet-proof
It is a nice surprise, that CXU can compete and outcome with almost no shame...
I usually do not take reviews seriously, in that part (SQ) they were true...
post #16 of 21 Old 01-09-2017, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cambridge Audio Blu-Ray player audio quality

Is there a difference in the audio portion of the Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD, 752BD, and CXU Blu-Ray players?

I have looked around and the specs for the audio look all the same.

I will be only using this for the analogue audio feature. I do not need the video processing.

Thanks.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-10-2017, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleschuck View Post
Is there a difference in the audio portion of the Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD, 752BD, and CXU Blu-Ray players?

I have looked around and the specs for the audio look all the same.

I will be only using this for the analogue audio feature. I do not need the video processing.

Thanks.

From Cambridge Audio Tech Support:

Dear Todd,

Thank you for contacting Cambridge Audio.

The audio quality of all 3 units is very similar, although as our latest unit, the CXU does have the latest components and in theory produce the best audio although the differences are minuscule.

We hope this helps.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Nicholas
Cambridge Audio
post #18 of 21 Old 01-13-2017, 03:25 AM

Cxu

Yes, i know, it should be very same or similar units. I did not hear 752BD, but people say that this player is very close to CXU. My experince after switching 751 for CXU is clear. Video little better, audio (specially stereo) much better. But every non-universal player for the same money would be probably better performer...
post #19 of 21 Old 04-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Cxu

Bought one today, at a very low price from authorized dealer. They must be discontinuing it. Read all the reviews and it seems better than the 105. Better analog outputs which is my main concern. They have stopped selling the 105 to my amazement. There are millions of people who do not have a 4k tv and do not need the new technology.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-27-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I just bought a CXU as well - should get it next week. I will be comparing it with my Marantz UD7007.

Dave
post #21 of 21 Old 05-21-2017, 03:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 71
On the CXU, has anyone compared the playback quality of the same audio file using these methods:
1. On a flash or hard drive connected to one of the USB inputs
2. Using one of the two HDMI inputs via an android or other media box
3. Using the optical input via an android or other media box
4. Using the CXU's built in network streamer from a file server PC.

Should any of these theoretically sound better or worse than the others?

Reason for asking, I'm retiring a small PC with Asus Xonar STX sound card used as a media player where the analog outputs from the Xonar sound card are connected directly to my pre-amp. As a quick test, I played a few files from a flash drive connected to the CXU and the sound is decidedly dull, maybe even hollow compared to the Xonar sound card's analog output. So just wondering if the USB inputs are going to give me the best possible sound quality or if I should be using one of the CXU's HDMI inputs or optical input via a media box (Mygica, etc).

By the way, the CXU's built in network streamer only finds about 80 of the 10K+ music files on my Windows 7 file server PC for some reason, so right now, that's not an option.

Mainfloor 2.1 Music/TV System: KEF LS50, Ibeam sonic transducer, Emotiva XSP-1, Anthem MCA-50, Oppo 105D, Panasonic 60VT65, Linn LP12
Basement 5.2 Theater: EV ELX115P for LCR, 2x 88-Specials for surrounds, stereo Stonehenge subs with RSS460HO-4 drivers, Emotiva XMC-1, Epson 6030 UB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , cxu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page