Panasonic DMP-UB900 thread. - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5306Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 4774 Old 08-24-2016, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Plano, TX USA
Posts: 3,865
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
The Panasonic UB900 is an amazing piece of technology, but it is a true pity that it is lagging behind its competition on 2 key features :

- support for 10 bits UHD discs
- Netflix HDR

How come the Nvidia Shield and Xbox One S both support Netflix HDR, when Panasonic releases the most expensive UHD player on the market, but without Netflix HDR ???!

For information, no 2015 Samsung TV (that fully support HDR) supports Netflix in HDR because Samsung apparently has forgotten they ever had a TV lineup in 2015.
So if I, owner of a 2015 Samsung TV, want to have Netflix in HDR, I have to wait for Panasonic to allow the UB900 to support it !
Buy an LG TV: the 2015 and 2016 OLEDs now both support Netflix HDR
Seriously, Panasonic already held up release of this player for apps (which I didn't appreciate); did you want them to hold it up even longer for Netflix? Also, I don't understand your comment about "10 bit UHD discs". It plays them...they are all 10 bit...
WOLVERNOLE and Bandyka like this.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
Stanton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 4774 Old 08-24-2016, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
tomcrown1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 857
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Panasonic DMP-UB900 thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
congrats....but am not sure am comfortable that we have to choose between the sammy curvy front and the panny's blingy shiny plastic flap thing...both of which completely form over function if ask me !



I bet you when the oppo comes it neither has a curvy front or useless blingy flap thing on the front !



anyways time will ... but can tell you I hope I am not proven wrong with the oppo


Oppo player will not be out this year. 1/2/17 is the earliest I believe. On their Facebook page they show a picture of the oppo Oled display.

Although the caption says soon for their UHD player the display shows 1/1/17


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung un659000/SEK-3500
tomcrown1 is offline  
post #993 of 4774 Old 08-24-2016, 07:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Manuxs1806's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Buy an LG TV: the 2015 and 2016 OLEDs now both support Netflix HDR
Seriously, Panasonic already held up release of this player for apps (which I didn't appreciate); did you want them to hold it up even longer for Netflix? Also, I don't understand your comment about "10 bit UHD discs". It plays them...they are all 10 bit...

That's not what I said. I am wondering why it is taking Panasonic so much time to support Netflix HDR in its UB900 when the Shield and the Xbox One S already do.

As for the 10 bits, all UHD Blu-Ray discs are coded in 10 bits. But the player upscales them in 4:4:4 12 bits or 4:2:2 12 bits. This is useless and can potentially generate color banding.
The Xbox One S allows the user to choose between a 10 bit or 12 bit output -> The UB900 should be updated with the same possibility.
Manuxs1806 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #994 of 4774 Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please can anyone help me ? i have just purchased the Panasonic DMP-UB900 and i cant for the life of me get it to play any movie file from USB and DNLA including Xvid and MKV

Am i doing something wrong? it states on the review that it will play these formats without any problems

Thanks in advance guys/dolls
LittleT is offline  
post #995 of 4774 Old 08-24-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Plano, TX USA
Posts: 3,865
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
As for the 10 bits, all UHD Blu-Ray discs are coded in 10 bits. But the player upscales them in 4:4:4 12 bits or 4:2:2 12 bits. This is useless and can potentially generate color banding.
The Xbox One S allows the user to choose between a 10 bit or 12 bit output -> The UB900 should be updated with the same possibility.
Agreed: that would seem like something a firmware update could address. I think the fact that it does anything less than 4:4:4 will help with cable bandwidth issues.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
Stanton is offline  
post #996 of 4774 Old 08-24-2016, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JKR1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by whmacs View Post
Hi JKR1963,
Could you check in the Panasonic audio menu that who have:
– Dolby D/Dolby D +/Dolby TrueHD: “Bitstream”
– DTS/DTS-HD: “Bitstream”
– BD-Video Secondary Audio: “Off”

Also see page 31 in the manual.

Regards,
Stephen

Thanks Stephen......I am just having my morning coffee and was going to pull out the manual.........I did not see these settings on any area of the menu screens and the settings look like they should be involved with my issue........yet some disc's are playing and showing
on my Yamaha as DTS MA.........some are not. I will update after I check the settings you have highlighted.


*Update.......yes this is fixed. It was the Secondary Audio. I have never messed around with that setting since the start of Blu ray. I think it must have been set to ON. I updated the Firmware before using the player and did not change that setting to ON. The strange thing is that my Blu ray of "The Grey" was tested last night and it played with DTS MA showing in the output from the Panny as DTS MA and in the Yamaha display........and the Martian Blu ray was DTS??


So if anyone else gets this issue......go to the Home Menu (Option Menu does not have the settings available) then Settings/Player Settings/Audio/Digital Audio Output.

Last edited by JKR1963; 08-24-2016 at 12:40 PM.
JKR1963 is offline  
post #997 of 4774 Old 08-24-2016, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CJArciola, III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: CT
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Just received my unit from Value Electronics. Had a minor glitch which delayed my enjoyment for a couple of minutes when I mistakenly put the 1080p disc in and couldn't figure out why it was outputting SDR. I was about to change hdmi cables when I noticed it said 1080p resolution.
The unit is far better than the Samsng I owned for 4 weeks. No reddish-orange cast to the picture. More natural colors, and a sharper picture. Tweaking the picture is less drastic with Pannys controls. I could never get a satisfying picture with the Samsung. Seemed more like 1080p than 4K. My only faults with the Panasonic are that it did come with the Amazon app, but no VUDU. And..the 2 free discs given to European buyers are not in US boxes. So far it's a buy I don't regret.
CJArciola, III is offline  
post #998 of 4774 Old 08-24-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JKR1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post
Just received my unit from Value Electronics. Had a minor glitch which delayed my enjoyment for a couple of minutes when I mistakenly put the 1080p disc in and couldn't figure out why it was outputting SDR. I was about to change hdmi cables when I noticed it said 1080p resolution.
The unit is far better than the Samsng I owned for 4 weeks. No reddish-orange cast to the picture. More natural colors, and a sharper picture. Tweaking the picture is less drastic with Pannys controls. I could never get a satisfying picture with the Samsung. Seemed more like 1080p than 4K. My only faults with the Panasonic are that it did come with the Amazon app, but no VUDU. And..the 2 free discs given to European buyers are not in US boxes. So far it's a buy I don't regret.


Canadians do not get the disc's either. Sure would have been nice to get a few disc's to start out..........but I think the unit costs a little more in Europe (looks like it is about $1000 CAN by current exchange rates).
JKR1963 is offline  
post #999 of 4774 Old 08-24-2016, 03:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleT View Post
Please can anyone help me ? i have just purchased the Panasonic DMP-UB900 and i cant for the life of me get it to play any movie file from USB and DNLA including Xvid and MKV

Am i doing something wrong? it states on the review that it will play these formats without any problems

Thanks in advance guys/dolls
any help please?
LittleT is offline  
post #1000 of 4774 Old 08-24-2016, 03:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleT View Post
any help please?
Don't know how to help; just tested playing mkv over usb for the first time and no issues at all. A 4K mpg demo looked stunning.
Tried different files? Firmware updated?
ohnder is offline  
post #1001 of 4774 Old 08-24-2016, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 25,062
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleT View Post
any help please?
Most ppl don't have the player yet. You'll need to give ppl a couple of days or more to get their own units up and running.
rboster is online now  
post #1002 of 4774 Old 08-24-2016, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
OzHDHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Antipodes aka Oz
Posts: 3,271
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleT View Post
Please can anyone help me ? i have just purchased the Panasonic DMP-UB900 and i cant for the life of me get it to play any movie file from USB and DNLA including Xvid and MKV

Am i doing something wrong? it states on the review that it will play these formats without any problems

Thanks in advance guys/dolls
any help please?

To be honest this is something not a lot of us would be really worry about playing with their UB900, with the exception of 4K HDR demo clip, of which the main HEVC ones don't work with it right now. Other than that make sure you're running basic FAT32 formal on your usb. Otherwise there's a myriad of ways to watch that kind of content besides the UB900.
rboster likes this.
OzHDHT is online now  
post #1003 of 4774 Old 08-25-2016, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,879
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnder View Post
Don't know how to help; just tested playing mkv over usb for the first time and no issues at all. A 4K mpg demo looked stunning.
Tried different files? Firmware updated?
Yeah mine works too. FAT32 will only take files sizes up to 4GB for large UHD movies you want NTFS. Still need to double check what and how I played via USB, haven't got around to it yet.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #1004 of 4774 Old 08-25-2016, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,879
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post
Just received my unit from Value Electronics. Had a minor glitch which delayed my enjoyment for a couple of minutes when I mistakenly put the 1080p disc in and couldn't figure out why it was outputting SDR. I was about to change hdmi cables when I noticed it said 1080p resolution.
The unit is far better than the Samsng I owned for 4 weeks. No reddish-orange cast to the picture. More natural colors, and a sharper picture. Tweaking the picture is less drastic with Pannys controls. I could never get a satisfying picture with the Samsung. Seemed more like 1080p than 4K. My only faults with the Panasonic are that it did come with the Amazon app, but no VUDU. And..the 2 free discs given to European buyers are not in US boxes. So far it's a buy I don't regret.
Agree.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #1005 of 4774 Old 08-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi, and thanks for posting.
Yeah, I agree, not having the VUDU app on it is too bad.
But, can I ask you to confirm one bit of 'great' news; The unit (US model) DOES come with the Amazon App now? (in addition to Netflix and Youtube)?
Earlier on it seemed to be in the balance with reports that the US model may not have - initially anyway - the Amazon Video app.

If indeed Amazon (and Netflix and Youtube) are on there; any issues with 4K content streaming from any of them? Any indication yet if HDR support is present?

thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post
Just received my unit from Value Electronics. Had a minor glitch which delayed my enjoyment for a couple of minutes when I mistakenly put the 1080p disc in and couldn't figure out why it was outputting SDR. I was about to change hdmi cables when I noticed it said 1080p resolution.
The unit is far better than the Samsng I owned for 4 weeks. No reddish-orange cast to the picture. More natural colors, and a sharper picture. Tweaking the picture is less drastic with Pannys controls. I could never get a satisfying picture with the Samsung. Seemed more like 1080p than 4K. My only faults with the Panasonic are that it did come with the Amazon app, but no VUDU. And..the 2 free discs given to European buyers are not in US boxes. So far it's a buy I don't regret.

Last edited by Brataccas; 08-25-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Brataccas is offline  
post #1006 of 4774 Old 08-25-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CJArciola, III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: CT
Posts: 1,215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brataccas View Post
>>>

If indeed Amazon (and Netflix and Youtube) are on there; any issues with 4K content streaming from any of them? Any indication yet if HDR support is present?

thx!
I was briefly on YouTube and no problems streaming, but I did not see anything pop up to indicate HDR when watching 4K material. There is Amazon, but no HDR as yet. I'm watching on an LG 65EF9500. I don't have Netflix activated.

Last edited by CJArciola, III; 08-25-2016 at 11:17 AM.
CJArciola, III is offline  
post #1007 of 4774 Old 08-25-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rudy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 5,750
Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3270
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post
I was briefly on YouTube and no problems streaming, but I did not see anything pop up to indicate HDR when watching 4K material. There is Amazon, but no HDR as yet. I'm watching on an LG 65EF9500. I don't have Netflix activated.
It has been reported in the UK forums that Panasonic is considering adding support for HDR in its apps at a later date. They also stated that the 12-bit output is as intended due to the chip they chose for the player.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
Rudy1 is offline  
post #1008 of 4774 Old 08-25-2016, 12:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Emerald Hills, CA
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just got my UB900 yesterday. Played "The Martian" and it was visually stunning. Only issue I have is that my system is connected as follows "DVD -> TV (optical out via passthrough) -> Sonos Playbar. The default sound setting is 7.1 and this ends up coming out as PCM 2 ch when I hit the info button. If I change this to "English descriptive 5.1" audio setting, then I do get DD showing up. Seeing as there is no standard 5.1 on this UHD DVD I'm screwed for sound. Is there any way to have the UB900 down convert the main 7.1 audio to 5.1, seems really weird.
dineshs99 is offline  
post #1009 of 4774 Old 08-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post
I was briefly on YouTube and no problems streaming, but I did not see anything pop up to indicate HDR when watching 4K material. There is Amazon, but no HDR as yet. I'm watching on an LG 65EF9500. I don't have Netflix activated.
Brataccas is offline  
post #1010 of 4774 Old 08-25-2016, 11:48 PM
Member
 
justned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Can someone post a photo of the back of the USA version. Would like to see the bluray region, dvd region and voltage.
justned is offline  
post #1011 of 4774 Old 08-26-2016, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
videofx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago, IL The windy city
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by justned View Post
Can someone post a photo of the back of the USA version. Would like to see the bluray region, dvd region and voltage.


I can post a pic tomorrow bit I can tell you for sure:


BLURAY REGION - A
DVD REGION - 1
VOLTAGE - 110V
CURRENT- 60Hz

Comcast Xfinity with 150MB/s download speed
LG OLED65E6P 65" OLED 4K 3D DISPLAY
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K UHD Bluray player / Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc
Marantz SR-6011 AVR
Playstation 4/Blu-Ray 3D/Playstation 3/Playstation 2/Playstation
Xbox One/Xbox 360 with HD-DVD/Xbox
videofx is offline  
post #1012 of 4774 Old 08-26-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,557
Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5622 Post(s)
Liked: 5458
So quick cliffnotes answer please but how is the players stripping of the HDR working out for folks so far?

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #1013 of 4774 Old 08-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Senior Member
 
StanGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
That's not what I said. I am wondering why it is taking Panasonic so much time to support Netflix HDR in its UB900 when the Shield and the Xbox One S already do.

As for the 10 bits, all UHD Blu-Ray discs are coded in 10 bits. But the player upscales them in 4:4:4 12 bits or 4:2:2 12 bits. This is useless and can potentially generate color banding.
The Xbox One S allows the user to choose between a 10 bit or 12 bit output -> The UB900 should be updated with the same possibility.
In a related question, when I was using the Samsung player, I would see the HDMI signal info on my Denon receiver as either 10 or 12 bit for the pixel depth. When I connect the Panasonic player (UB900), the Denon only shows three dashes for the pixel depth info.

Any thoughts on what may be going on?

Thanks.
StanGeek is offline  
post #1014 of 4774 Old 08-26-2016, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
videofx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago, IL The windy city
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGeek View Post
In a related question, when I was using the Samsung player, I would see the HDMI signal info on my Denon receiver as either 10 or 12 bit for the pixel depth. When I connect the Panasonic player (UB900), the Denon only shows three dashes for the pixel depth info.

Any thoughts on what may be going on?

Thanks.
Until I get my New Marantz I wish I could say. But if its not too much trouble, connect the UB900 directly to your TV and then do an info and see if it displays the pixel depth. That way at least you will know if its the Denon or the Panny.

Comcast Xfinity with 150MB/s download speed
LG OLED65E6P 65" OLED 4K 3D DISPLAY
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K UHD Bluray player / Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc
Marantz SR-6011 AVR
Playstation 4/Blu-Ray 3D/Playstation 3/Playstation 2/Playstation
Xbox One/Xbox 360 with HD-DVD/Xbox
videofx is offline  
post #1015 of 4774 Old 08-26-2016, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
videofx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago, IL The windy city
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Panasonic will finally be here tomorrow!!!!

YAY!

Comcast Xfinity with 150MB/s download speed
LG OLED65E6P 65" OLED 4K 3D DISPLAY
Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K UHD Bluray player / Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc
Marantz SR-6011 AVR
Playstation 4/Blu-Ray 3D/Playstation 3/Playstation 2/Playstation
Xbox One/Xbox 360 with HD-DVD/Xbox
videofx is offline  
post #1016 of 4774 Old 08-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Member
 
Elmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGeek View Post
In a related question, when I was using the Samsung player, I would see the HDMI signal info on my Denon receiver as either 10 or 12 bit for the pixel depth. When I connect the Panasonic player (UB900), the Denon only shows three dashes for the pixel depth info.

Any thoughts on what may be going on?

Thanks.
I am struggling with a similar here as well, with other hardware in between. According to users HDR is impossible without 10 (12) bit.

Chain: Panasonic --> Onkyo 646 --> HDR capable TV
The Onkyo shows information that it receives 8 bit from the panasonic (why the pana says it's outputting 4k/24 4:2:2 12bit HDR/BT2020 and tv says it shows HDR)

So i removed the Onkyo from the chain and connected:

Panasonic --> (HD Fury) Linker --> HDR capable TV
Linker information shows it gets 8 bit from the pana (rest as above)

i already wrote that in the linker thread and they said that it looks like the signal the pana sends seems to be strange (at least thats my understanding). So perhaps the Denon just shows what the onkyo or linker shows, missunderstood color depth from the player ?
Scott 44 likes this.
Elmar is offline  
post #1017 of 4774 Old 08-26-2016, 11:05 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmar View Post
I am struggling with a similar here as well, with other hardware in between. According to users HDR is impossible without 10 (12) bit.

Chain: Panasonic --> Onkyo 646 --> HDR capable TV
The Onkyo shows information that it receives 8 bit from the panasonic (why the pana says it's outputting 4k/24 4:2:2 12bit HDR/BT2020 and tv says it shows HDR)

So i removed the Onkyo from the chain and connected:

Panasonic --> (HD Fury) Linker --> HDR capable TV
Linker information shows it gets 8 bit from the pana (rest as above)

i already wrote that in the linker thread and they said that it looks like the signal the pana sends seems to be strange (at least thats my understanding). So perhaps the Denon just shows what the onkyo or linker shows, missunderstood color depth from the player ?
I have found that if you make changes in the settings menu, you then have to shut the player down and start it back up for those changes to take effect.

I have a JVC DLA-RS600U, so I toggle between 1080P for BluRay (looks better for native content) and 4K for Netflix/UHD Discs. When I make this switch from 1080 to 4K in the menu, Netflix will not show as 4K until I re-start the unit. Same thing goes for Color Depth when changing resolutions for some unknown reason. I was only getting 8-bit on BD vs. 12-bit after re-starting. Annoying glitch for sure, but solved the problem for me thus far.
Scott 44 likes this.
Eric Lloyd is offline  
post #1018 of 4774 Old 08-26-2016, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
StanGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofx View Post
Until I get my New Marantz I wish I could say. But if its not too much trouble, connect the UB900 directly to your TV and then do an info and see if it displays the pixel depth. That way at least you will know if its the Denon or the Panny.
Well, the problem with that test is that the Sony TV does not seem to display the pixel depth. It only shows the resolution (and goes into HDR picture mode when HDR is sent).
StanGeek is offline  
post #1019 of 4774 Old 08-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
StanGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofx View Post
Until I get my New Marantz I wish I could say. But if its not too much trouble, connect the UB900 directly to your TV and then do an info and see if it displays the pixel depth. That way at least you will know if its the Denon or the Panny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmar View Post
I am struggling with a similar here as well, with other hardware in between. According to users HDR is impossible without 10 (12) bit.

Chain: Panasonic --> Onkyo 646 --> HDR capable TV
The Onkyo shows information that it receives 8 bit from the panasonic (why the pana says it's outputting 4k/24 4:2:2 12bit HDR/BT2020 and tv says it shows HDR)

So i removed the Onkyo from the chain and connected:

Panasonic --> (HD Fury) Linker --> HDR capable TV
Linker information shows it gets 8 bit from the pana (rest as above)

i already wrote that in the linker thread and they said that it looks like the signal the pana sends seems to be strange (at least thats my understanding). So perhaps the Denon just shows what the onkyo or linker shows, missunderstood color depth from the player ?
Yes, you may be on to something here. While the actual picture seems good, I wonder what else is causing that confusion in the chain.
StanGeek is offline  
post #1020 of 4774 Old 08-26-2016, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,405
Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked: 8451
Just squeeked in before the looming Canada Post strike!


The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player hdmi input , 900 , DMP-UB900 , trying to get atmos engaged.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off