Panasonic DMP-UB900 thread. - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5306Likes

post #1081 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Here's the question for the day: do we turn Deep Color OFF on the player? I assume we do for the same reason as the Samsung UHD player (old setting from Blu-Ray days). I know it is ON for the TV.
Just leave the Panny setting for Deep Color output to AUTO

It works great!

Comcast Xfinity with 200MB/s
LG OLED65E6P 65" OLED 4K 3D
OPPO UHD-203/TOSHIBA HD-XA2 HDDVD
SWISS TURNTABLE/TECHNICS 1520 REEL TO REEL
EVERY PLAYSTATION/EVERY XBOX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abba1 View Post
Question: does this player offer a ''time remaining'' option viewed from the display?
No, it only displays elapsed time and length of the movie

post #1083 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Quoted: 3356 Post(s)
Liked: 8515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
Here's the amazing part: I don't even have "18Gb certified" cables...just "hi-speed" cables. I knew it had to be the Samsung (after 3 players) and not the cables, but I have to admit I was sweating it out until I hooked the Panasonic up last night and watched a whole movie without a single glitch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofx View Post
LOL, Thats exactly how I felt
Me three,

I searched and all I could find locally was this 40 footer from IOGear
(to replace my old 35' 1.3 cable that used to run to my Epson 1080UB)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX50918
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IOGear2.png
Views:	124
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1627289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IOGear1.png
Views:	121
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	1627297  

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1084 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creator44 View Post
Hi to all,

I'm from Canada.

I see some of you are canadians and got the Panasonic DMP-UB900.

Can you please tell me where you got it from?

Thanks!
Best Buy

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #1085 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWheeler View Post
I have a Sony VPL-VW665ES projector displaying on a 100 in. wide Stewart Studiomatte 1.3 screen and I have been using it with the Samsung K8500 UHD player since the Samsung came out in late February. I placed a pre-order for the Panasonic 900 UHD player in late May with Value Electronics. My player arrived on Thursday and i have been using and comparing it to the Samsung K8500 with both UHD blu-ray discs and streaming content. I definitely concur with the numerous folks who have stated that the Panasonic affords a superior image to the Samsung player. The Samsung K8500 has never worked corrrectly with my 665ES projector although recent firmware updates of the projector and lots of experimentation on my part have resulted in a good, but not exceptional, image from UHD blu-ray discs. The principal problems with the Samsung were low APl (average picture level) resulting in a picture that was too dark with blacks being crushed and the brightest areas of the image being blown out. This could be improved somewhat in the Samsung Tools>Picture Mode>User settings by adjusting the brightness and contrast. However, no matter how carefully I adjusted those controls i could never address properly the blown out white areas. I also felt that the WCG produced overly saturated (almost fluorescent) colors with the Samsung K8500. This could be moderated somewhat using th color intensity controls on the player, but I was never totoally satisfied with the result even after extensive experimentation.

The combination of the Panasonic 900 and the Sony 665ES has completely solved these problems. Colors presented by the Panasonic 900 for UHD blu-ray discs are simply perfect and much more authentic to my eyes than the Samsung. Both my wife and I said "wow" the first time we saw a UHD blu-ray on the Panasonic. The difference in image quality between the Samsung and the Panasonic is not subtle but readily apparent. I did slightly adjust the brightness and contrast on the Panasonic 900 when playing a UHD blu-ray possibly becuase we wanted to use the low lamp mode on our projector to extend lamp life. Even in low lamp mode the image is just spectacular and one has no doubt in seeing the onscreen image that HDR and WCG are being displayed.

A big suprise for me was in viewing steaming content from Amazon, Netflix, and YouTube on the Panasonic 900. We have AT&T Gigapower and with our wired ethernet connection deliver 940 + Mbs to the Panasonic so bandwidth is never an issue while streaming. The picture with streaming content is markedly better than we have gotten using either our Samsung K8500 or our Roku 4 box when viewing the same content. The picture has incredible contrast, perfect color, and is a delight to watch. Unfortunately, we are not able to get HDR from those Amazon videos that state they have HDR content (e.g. Bosch), but WCG and 4K are very evident and the onscreen streaming content image is so good I don't find myself missing HDR.

The problem with getting 4K+HDR+WCG on the Panasonic while streaming is that this player streams ALL content at 60p. At this frame rate the bandwidth required is greater than the 10.2 Gb/s bandwidth limitation of my 665ES projector. It is not clear to me why Panasonic has enabled streaming only at 60p with this player, but unless this is changed in a future firmware upgrade, then I seriously doubt I shall ever get HDR via streaming with this player. The Samsung K8500 streams content at 24p where this is the native frame rate of the material, but I am still not able to get HDR+WCG+4K via streaming from the K8500 to my 665ES without manually selecting HDR to "on" in the Sony projector's menu. When I do the picture is terrible with garish colors and is far too dark to view. Incidentally this all applies only to streaming content since both of these UHD players playback UHD blu-ray discs at 24p with 4K+HDR+WCG since that does not exceed the bandwidth limitation of my projector.

I hope these comments are of some use for those comparing the Samsung K8500 and Panasonic UBD900 players.

Tom
Thanks for the info Tom. I saw Best Buy has a Sep. 2nd release date for the Panasonic, so I've got my order in! My Samsung 8500 was a fight with the Sony 665 and never looked right. The Philips looks right on UHD but is so terrible and slow in almost every other respect I used an older Sony BDP-S790 for any non-4K disc to keep my sanity. I'm really hoping the Panasonic will eliminate my need for 2 blu-ray players and make the Sony projector show its true colors!

Sony VPL-VW665ES 4K HDR Projector | Denon AVR-X7200WA Reciever | Philips BDP7501 4K Blu-Ray Player | GoldenEar Triton One, 2+, Aeon 3, HTR-7000 ATMOS speakers
post #1086 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWheeler View Post
I have a Sony VPL-VW665ES projector displaying on a 100 in. wide Stewart Studiomatte 1.3 screen and I have been using it with the Samsung K8500 UHD player since the Samsung came out in late February. I placed a pre-order for the Panasonic 900 UHD player in late May with Value Electronics. My player arrived on Thursday and i have been using and comparing it to the Samsung K8500 with both UHD blu-ray discs and streaming content. I definitely concur with the numerous folks who have stated that the Panasonic affords a superior image to the Samsung player. The Samsung K8500 has never worked corrrectly with my 665ES projector although recent firmware updates of the projector and lots of experimentation on my part have resulted in a good, but not exceptional, image from UHD blu-ray discs. The principal problems with the Samsung were low APl (average picture level) resulting in a picture that was too dark with blacks being crushed and the brightest areas of the image being blown out. This could be improved somewhat in the Samsung Tools>Picture Mode>User settings by adjusting the brightness and contrast. However, no matter how carefully I adjusted those controls i could never address properly the blown out white areas. I also felt that the WCG produced overly saturated (almost fluorescent) colors with the Samsung K8500. This could be moderated somewhat using th color intensity controls on the player, but I was never totoally satisfied with the result even after extensive experimentation.

The combination of the Panasonic 900 and the Sony 665ES has completely solved these problems. Colors presented by the Panasonic 900 for UHD blu-ray discs are simply perfect and much more authentic to my eyes than the Samsung. Both my wife and I said "wow" the first time we saw a UHD blu-ray on the Panasonic. The difference in image quality between the Samsung and the Panasonic is not subtle but readily apparent. I did slightly adjust the brightness and contrast on the Panasonic 900 when playing a UHD blu-ray possibly becuase we wanted to use the low lamp mode on our projector to extend lamp life. Even in low lamp mode the image is just spectacular and one has no doubt in seeing the onscreen image that HDR and WCG are being displayed.

A big suprise for me was in viewing steaming content from Amazon, Netflix, and YouTube on the Panasonic 900. We have AT&T Gigapower and with our wired ethernet connection deliver 940 + Mbs to the Panasonic so bandwidth is never an issue while streaming. The picture with streaming content is markedly better than we have gotten using either our Samsung K8500 or our Roku 4 box when viewing the same content. The picture has incredible contrast, perfect color, and is a delight to watch. Unfortunately, we are not able to get HDR from those Amazon videos that state they have HDR content (e.g. Bosch), but WCG and 4K are very evident and the onscreen streaming content image is so good I don't find myself missing HDR.

The problem with getting 4K+HDR+WCG on the Panasonic while streaming is that this player streams ALL content at 60p. At this frame rate the bandwidth required is greater than the 10.2 Gb/s bandwidth limitation of my 665ES projector. It is not clear to me why Panasonic has enabled streaming only at 60p with this player, but unless this is changed in a future firmware upgrade, then I seriously doubt I shall ever get HDR via streaming with this player. The Samsung K8500 streams content at 24p where this is the native frame rate of the material, but I am still not able to get HDR+WCG+4K via streaming from the K8500 to my 665ES without manually selecting HDR to "on" in the Sony projector's menu. When I do the picture is terrible with garish colors and is far too dark to view. Incidentally this all applies only to streaming content since both of these UHD players playback UHD blu-ray discs at 24p with 4K+HDR+WCG since that does not exceed the bandwidth limitation of my projector.

I hope these comments are of some use for those comparing the Samsung K8500 and Panasonic UBD900 players.

Tom
PS - I just ordered a 123" Stewart Cima with their Neve material (1.25 gain according to AccuCal). Should be quite similar to your Stewart 1.3. Are you happy with it with the Sony 665?

Sony VPL-VW665ES 4K HDR Projector | Denon AVR-X7200WA Reciever | Philips BDP7501 4K Blu-Ray Player | GoldenEar Triton One, 2+, Aeon 3, HTR-7000 ATMOS speakers
post #1087 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediStitch View Post
PS - I just ordered a 123" Stewart Cima with their Neve material (1.25 gain according to AccuCal). Should be quite similar to your Stewart 1.3. Are you happy with it with the Sony 665?
Yes, I have had my Stewart Studiomatte 1.3 screen for several years now with 3 different Sony projectors. It gives splendid resuts with the 665ES projector even in low lamp mode.

I think you will be very pleased with the Panasonic UBD900/Sony 665ES combination. The only issue I have encountered is that I am not able to view streaming content from Amazon video that has HDR because the Panasonic 900 streams ALL video at 60p and the combination of HDR+WCG+HDR exceeds the bandwidth capability of the Sony 665ES. However, even without HDR, the image from all streaming content on the Panasonic 900 is the best that I have ever seen exceeding the qulaity of streaming content from the Samsung K8500 or the Roku 4 box.

Tom
Dave Harper and JediStitch like this.
post #1088 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
No, it only displays elapsed time and length of the movie

At least with that info you can extrapolate the time remaining.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp

Last edited by mt14942; 08-28-2016 at 11:21 AM.
post #1089 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Do we know if this player will have smartphone/LAN control capabilities?
post #1090 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Do you have to adjust the brightness on your OLED with different UHD discs when connected to the Panasonic? In my experience with the Samsung and Phillips, I have to adjust the brightness down with some movies due to the elevated blacks.
I have watched Star Trek, The Revenant and Xmen and have NOT had to adjust the brightness at all
wxman likes this.

post #1091 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5469 Post(s)
Liked: 3886
Quote:
I have watched Star Trek, The Revenant and Xmen and have NOT had to adjust the brightness at all
Are you leaving the tv's brightness set at a default of 50 for HDR? I know with Star Trek, I had to go lower due to the elevated black in the imax space scenes.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #1092 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are you leaving the tv's brightness set at a default of 50 for HDR? I know with Star Trek, I had to go lower due to the elevated black in the imax space scenes.

Yes, I just checked the HDR settings and brightness is set to 50
wxman likes this.

post #1093 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Exclamation Important notice to ub900 owners!

Panasonic DMP-UB900;
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL OWNERS!
As some owners might have noticed, this UltraHD blu-ray player does not have the ability to output 10bit colour, which in turn creates some extremely annoying banding and macro-blocking issues on 10bit displays.
The player will only output in 8bit or 12bit colour which has caused many frustrations for owners of TVs such as Samsung & LG.
Please support us by signing this petition in order to assist Panasonic to recognize how important this is for UltraHD blu-ray and its customers.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/pet...layer.2042886/

Please see link for pictures of the issue.

Code:
I thought I would start a petition to Panasonic,  so that they can read the feedback from their customers and our request  for a 10 bit option instead of 12 bit, which is causing problems like  banding on TV's when watching UHD content.

It would be great for Panasonic to enable via a firmware update an option to play content in 10 bit like the Samsung UBD-K8500 does.

I am aware of feedback from Panasonic  UHD TV owners having no problems with their TV's processing 12 bit from  the Panasonic DMP-UB900, but other branded TV owners like myself, who  owns a Samsung JS9000 are having problems with the 12 bit signal and it is manifesting itself by picture issues like banding etc..

Please Panasonic  think about non-Panasonic TV owners and let us have an option for a  native 10 bit signal since UHD Blu-Ray's are 10 bit so we can enjoy our  UHD Blu-Ray's without banding etc as certain TV's are having problems  with the UB900 upconverting the signal to 12 bits.
post #1094 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2k15 View Post
Panasonic DMP-UB900;
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO ALL OWNERS!
As some owners might have noticed, this UltraHD blu-ray player does not have the ability to output 10bit colour, which in turn creates some extremely annoying banding and macro-blocking issues on 10bit displays.
The player will only output in 8bit or 12bit colour which has caused many frustrations for owners of TVs such as Samsung & LG.
Please support us by signing this petition in order to assist Panasonic to recognize how important this is for UltraHD blu-ray and its customers.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/pet...layer.2042886/

Please see link for pictures of the issue.

Code:
I thought I would start a petition to Panasonic,  so that they can read the feedback from their customers and our request  for a 10 bit option instead of 12 bit, which is causing problems like  banding on TV's when watching UHD content.

It would be great for Panasonic to enable via a firmware update an option to play content in 10 bit like the Samsung UBD-K8500 does.

I am aware of feedback from Panasonic  UHD TV owners having no problems with their TV's processing 12 bit from  the Panasonic DMP-UB900, but other branded TV owners like myself, who  owns a Samsung JS9000 are having problems with the 12 bit signal and it is manifesting itself by picture issues like banding etc..

Please Panasonic  think about non-Panasonic TV owners and let us have an option for a  native 10 bit signal since UHD Blu-Ray's are 10 bit so we can enjoy our  UHD Blu-Ray's without banding etc as certain TV's are having problems  with the UB900 upconverting the signal to 12 bits.

I thought that I read somewhere that Panasonic is not able to do 10bit due to the chip they are using

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung un659000/SEK-3500
post #1095 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post
I thought that I read somewhere that Panasonic is not able to do 10bit due to the chip they are using

Not sure but this is a major issue for people who are having this issue. I don't know how Panasonic are going to rectify this but as the player has just been released in the states, there are going to be more angry owners.
post #1096 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Not sure but this is a major issue for people who are having this issue. I don't know how Panasonic are going to rectify this but as the player has just been released in the states, there are going to be more angry owners.
I know this has been talked about in the AVforum but if possible could you explain what some of the issues are and what displays seem to be affected by this?

Clark
post #1097 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I've yet to experience this banding & micro blocking with the DX900 and hopefully never will.
post #1098 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
I know this has been talked about in the AVforum but if possible could you explain what some of the issues are and what displays seem to be affected by this?
Some televisions are suffering from banding and macro-blocking issues when viewing Ultra HD Blu-rays on the UB900. I own a Samsung JS9000 and also have this issue. It is where the UB900 is upscaling native 10 bit Ultra HD Blu-rays to 12 bit and the TV/projector connected to it cannot handle it and shows up as colour banding and issues on the display connected to it.

Somehow Panasonic TV's do not suffer from this issue and only other manufacturers TV's do. The Samsung UHD player lets you select 10 bit output which is native to UHD movies but the Panasonic player forces 12 bit output and no way to change that. It is poor for an expensive player and that is why there is a petition going on, so that Panasonic update the player via firmware to enable a 10 bit option so we can enjoy UHD movies in native 10 bit and not in upscaled 12 bit which some displays cannot handle and show anomalies and banding when viewing movies.

The pics are in the linked thread and from my experience watching UHD Blu-Ray's the banding issue is very distracting and awful. It is very noticeable on Sky's and light backgrounds when watching movies.

I know a few people with the same TV as me and tried the same movie with the Samsung UHD player and have no problems as it is outputting 10 bit and the display shows content how it is intended but on the UB900 the content is disorted and has issues as mentioned.

Last edited by HD2k15; 08-28-2016 at 03:08 PM.
post #1099 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozin View Post
I've yet to experience this banding & micro blocking with the DX900 and hopefully never will.

Panasonic TV's do not have any issues with the UB900, it is the non-Panasonic TV owners that do, but not everyone. Surely Panasonic knew that their UB900 would be paired with TV's that were not their own brand? Silly in my eyes as the issues are major and me as well as others in Europe who have had this player since release in April are experiencing issues and have not been resolved and now that the player has been released to the American market there will be more outcry from owners experiencing the same issues.
post #1100 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Panasonic TV's do not have any issues with the UB900, it is the non-Panasonic TV owners that do, but not everyone. >>>
This is pretty vague. Can you provide a list of the affected displays? So far you've only confirmed your tv Samsung JS9000.
Musician likes this.
post #1101 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJArciola, III View Post
This is pretty vague. Can you provide a list of the affected displays? So far you've only confirmed your tv Samsung JS9000.

I can only confirm people who have complained about it. The owners are in the thread that is linked it the previous posts.
post #1102 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I'm on the fence between buying the K8500 and the UB900. Does anyone know if the Vizio P75 has issues with the 12bit banding problem on the Panasonic?

2016 Vizio P75, Denon X2200W, Samsung UHD Bluray K8500, Bowers&Wilkins 5.1
post #1103 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Panasonic DMP-UB900 thread.

Quote:
I can only confirm people who have complained about it. The owners are in the thread that is linked it the previous posts.

What I can gather from the posts on the AV Forum it seems to be LG OLED, all of Samsung tvs. One poster on that thread stated that the problem is with the Korean Sets. He claims that the Japanese sets do not suffer from this problem.

Samsung un659000/SEK-3500
post #1104 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasfood View Post
I'm on the fence between buying the K8500 and the UB900. Does anyone know if the Vizio P75 has issues with the 12bit banding problem on the Panasonic?
I to am considering getting the Panasonic but want to be sure that My Sony 940C is not going to experience these issues with the 12 bit output. Maybe there's someone who has this TV and the Panasonic player and can confirm whether they have the banding problem?

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
post #1105 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm tempted by the Pany but I already have the Samsung. I'm not convinced the picture would be any better on the Pany although I am sure it has a better user interface. If I didn't have the Samsung already I would definitely get the UB900 for the interface and better build quality.

Here is a quote from another thread from Cine4Home.

"As I said, when you properly adjust / calibrate the VW5000 to the Sammy, there is no need for the Panasonic. And you can get better shadow detail with the Samsung. I have compared the Samsung & Panasonic already on all 4K / HDR projectors as VW520, X5000, X7000, X9000 and VW5000 and the results are always pretty much the same.

Regards,
Ekki "
post #1106 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
That sounds all good, unless you have to adjust the brightness on the player for different movies. You don't solve the problem with tv's that have perfect blacks such as OLED. Other tv's that can't reach absolute zero with blacks will never see the problem.
We experience this on all devices not just Oled either you just bear with it of keep adjusting until finally movie makers agree on a standard brightness. What I've done I've adjusted the contrast and brightness using the Sony test patterns available on the UHD discs and left it at that. That way I now this is how it supposed to be and if it isn't its the movie itself that is the issue.
wxman likes this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #1107 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I plugged the 900 into a Vizio D-series and didn't see banding. It's also been clean on the LG 65E6P. Watching The Revenant was brilliant when the TV's HDR mode was calibrated to conform to ST2084 up to the 560 nits or so that it can do (with some roll-off).
Bandyka likes this.
post #1108 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post

Here is a quote from another thread from Cine4Home.

"As I said, when you properly adjust / calibrate the VW5000 to the Sammy, there is no need for the Panasonic. And you can get better shadow detail with the Samsung. I have compared the Samsung & Panasonic already on all 4K / HDR projectors as VW520, X5000, X7000, X9000 and VW5000 and the results are always pretty much the same.

Regards,
Ekki "
I've tested this myself on the VW5000ES (also on 320/520). BIG PQ difference between the two. All of the "experts" in the room acknowledged this when we swapped them out. Panasonic has a well balanced natural looking image and NO red push unlike the S, its also more detailed and clearer not to mention the functions. Also I've had all sort of issues with the Samsung including banding and is all gone with the Panasonic. Other Sony projector owners report the same.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #1109 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Osadciw View Post
I plugged the 900 into a Vizio D-series and didn't see banding. It's also been clean on the LG 65E6P. Watching The Revenant was brilliant when the TV's HDR mode was calibrated to conform to ST2084 up to the 560 nits or so that it can do (with some roll-off).
I just had my E6 calibrated for HDR and I just watched The Revenant on my 900 and at 12bits, I dont see any banding or anything strange. Only 100% awesome PQ
Gillietalls likes this.

post #1110 of 4774 Old 08-28-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm totally new to 4K (just got the UB900 on Friday)

But I've played the 4K BD of Lucy, The Martian, Mad Max Fury Road, Oblivion and DeadPool
through my new projector (JVC X750 (RS500) over the weekend without any banding issues at all.

Can someone please provide specific movies/time stamps so I can see if I have a real issue or not.

Or should I just remain oblivious and revel in the fact that ignorance is bliss!
Bandyka likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player hdmi input , 900 , DMP-UB900 , trying to get atmos engaged.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page