Panasonic DMP-UB900 thread. - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5306Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1351 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Maybe Panasonic is having to hault all of the 900's because of pricing and being way higher than the competition.Everyone knows that they're heads above the rest but the price...maybe they are sending out the 700's instead.
urbeenjammin1969 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1352 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,436
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8545
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
BB had it on their web site. Now it appears to be temporarily out of stock. It's still there on site, but you can't order one.
Still available at BestBuy.ca (Canada)
21 in stock, on-line only.

The Samsung K8500 just dropped by $200 today
But I don't care, love my new Panasonic

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #1353 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,506
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5537 Post(s)
Liked: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin1969 View Post
Maybe Panasonic is having to hault all of the 900's because of pricing and being way higher than the competition.Everyone knows that they're heads above the rest but the price...maybe they are sending out the 700's instead.
Back in stock on BB web site!.
wxman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1354 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Still available at BestBuy.ca (Canada)
21 in stock, on-line only.

The Samsung K8500 just dropped by $200 today
But I don't care, love my new Panasonic

Wow a $200.00 drop in price, geez I was hoping to sell my Samsung player for $200.00 but not if you can buy it new for that price. I have been so busy that I just was able to find the time to set up the Panasonic a little while ago but have yet to play a disc as I want to be sure I have the settings correct, but it sure is a very nice looking player with a nice remote control compared to the Samsung. I pretty much have left all the settings at there default with a couple of exceptions. I changed the BD Video Secondary Audio setting from the default of Auto to Off because of the message just below the setting choices which reads, If you want to enjoy the original audio, please set BD Video secondary Audio to Off. I don't know if that matters as I only have a 5.1 system and no Atmos but I want to be sure I get DD True & DTS Master. Also I changed Deep Color to Off from it's default setting of Auto, mainly because of all the post's about banding & that by turning Deep Color to Off resolved the problem. I don't even remember seeing a setting for that in my Sony 940C TV settings menu. I'm not sure if I am losing some picture quality by doing this? Lastly, since I don't have any other Panasonic components in my setup I turned Viera Link from the default On setting to Off, although I don't imagine it hurts anything by leaving it on. I do so much hope I like the performance of this player over the Samsung as it does look so much nicer sitting on the shelf not to mention the back lit larger remote control. If anyone can think of any settings I might need to change I welcome any suggestions.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
mt14942 is offline  
post #1355 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,506
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5537 Post(s)
Liked: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Wow a $200.00 drop in price, geez I was hoping to sell my Samsung player for $200.00 but not if you can buy it new for that price. I have been so busy that I just was able to find the time to set up the Panasonic a little while ago but have yet to play a disc as I want to be sure I have the settings correct, but it sure is a very nice looking player with a nice remote control compared to the Samsung. I pretty much have left all the settings at there default with a couple of exceptions. I changed the BD Video Secondary Audio setting from the default of Auto to Off because of the message just below the setting choices which reads, If you want to enjoy the original audio, please set BD Video secondary Audio to Off. I don't know if that matters as I only have a 5.1 system and no Atmos but I want to be sure I get DD True & DTS Master. Also I changed Deep Color to Off from it's default setting of Auto, mainly because of all the post's about banding & that by turning Deep Color to Off resolved the problem. I don't even remember seeing a setting for that in my Sony 940C TV settings menu. I'm not sure if I am losing some picture quality by doing this? Lastly, since I don't have any other Panasonic components in my setup I turned Viera Link from the default On setting to Off, although I don't imagine it hurts anything by leaving it on. I do so much hope I like the performance of this player over the Samsung as it does look so much nicer sitting on the shelf not to mention the back lit larger remote control. If anyone can think of any settings I might need to change I welcome any suggestions.
Must be just in Canada for the price drop. Not changed in US on BB.
africanlivedit likes this.
wxman is online now  
post #1356 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
It was my understanding that Value Electronics was chosen as the first US dealer to be able to sell the Panasonic player, by a week. Best Buy and other retailers will get the ability to sell them starting this weekend.

As far as the 700 model by Panasonic, I read that it won't be available in the states for several months if at all.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #1357 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
It was my understanding that Value Electronics was chosen as the first US dealer to be able to sell the Panasonic player, by a week. Best Buy and other retailers will get the ability to sell them starting this weekend.


Picked mine up Friday but just got it plugged into my A/V system this afternoon I hope my settings are correct as this wasn't as simple as the Samsung player in that regard.

As far as the 700 model by Panasonic, I read that it won't be available in the states for several months if at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Must be just in Canada for the price drop. Not changed in US on BB.
If either of you Gents have the Panasonic 4K player and can take a look at my settings and let me know if they are correct it would be much appreciated or anybody for that matter who has this player especially if you have my TV Sony 940C.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
mt14942 is offline  
post #1358 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,457
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
If either of you Gents have the Panasonic 4K player and can take a look at my settings and let me know if they are correct it would be much appreciated or anybody for that matter who has this player especially if you have my TV Sony 940C.
I have the player, but I didn't see your settings in that last post.

I can tell you that I left the settings "as is" from the factory on the player.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #1359 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I have the player, but I didn't see your settings in that last post.

I can tell you that I left the settings "as is" from the factory on the player.

I pretty much did also but with a few exceptions. One of the exceptions had to do with BD Secondary Audio as the note below the setting choice seem to indicate that I might not get Dolby Digital True or DTS Master audio unless I chose off as opposed to the default setting of Auto but I may have not correctly understood that note below. The other had to do with Deep Color. With the Samsung player the consensus was that you leave Deep Color Off. On the Panasonic player the default setting is Auto which with the Panasonic player might be the correct setting. I believe the Samsung player didn't give an aufo option it was either on or off so I could also be wrong with that as well. Also there have been a number of posters who complained about having Banding that was fixed by turning Deep Color Off. However that issue may be dependent on your TV and how it deals with the 12 bit output that Panasonic does even though current 4K disc's are 10 bit. That's why I was hoping someone who has my TV can confirm these two changes I made from the default setting. Maybe having Deep Color set to Off affect the Picture quality.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp

Last edited by mt14942; 09-05-2016 at 05:12 PM.
mt14942 is offline  
post #1360 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 25,192
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 2294
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
It was my understanding that Value Electronics was chosen as the first US dealer to be able to sell the Panasonic player, by a week. Best Buy and other retailers will get the ability to sell them starting this weekend.

As far as the 700 model by Panasonic, I read that it won't be available in the states for several months if at all.
They even received the units a week (or more) early vs the original date of delivery. That was a nice surprise. Quick delivery from VE too.

I'm still playing around with the settings. It will take a couple of weeks to find a tweak here and there that may be beneficial.

Ron
rboster is online now  
post #1361 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
dannybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Perth,Australia
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I pretty much did also but with a few exceptions. One of the exceptions had to do with BD Secondary Audio as the note below the setting choice seem to indicate that I might not get Dolby Digital True or DTS Master audio unless I chose off as opposed to the default setting of Auto but I may have not correctly understood that note below. The other had to do with Deep Color. With the Samsung player the consensus was that you leave Deep Color Off. On the Panasonic player the default setting is Auto which with the Panasonic player might be the correct setting. I believe the Samsung player didn't give an aufo option it was either on or off so I could also be wrong with that as well. Also there have been a number of posters who complained about having Banding that was fixed by turning Deep Color Off. However that issue may be dependent on your TV and how it deals with the 12 bit output that Panasonic does even though current 4K disc's are 10 bit. That's why I was hoping someone who has my TV can confirm these two changes I made from the default setting. Maybe having Deep Color set to Off affect the Picture quality.
Yes turn second audio off to get atmos and dtxs. If you still have banding issues with deep color off try setting color output to 4.2.2 this reduced the banding I was getting somewhat.

LG 65C7T - SONY BRAVIA 65"Z9D
Marantz SR6012 - Pioneer SCLX 58 - Apple 4KTV
Oppo UBD 203/205- Oppo BDP 103 - Panasonic DMP UB900
Playstation 4 - Mordaunt Short Speakers
dannybee is offline  
post #1362 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,436
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8545
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybee View Post
Yes turn second audio off to get atmos and dtxs. If you still have banding issues with deep color off try setting color output to 4.2.2 this reduced the banding I was getting somewhat.
x2!

no issues, no banding, 4K 24p 4:2:2/12 bit HDR/WCG enabled
(deep color on or off does not matter) JVC X750












more in the link in my sig line

..sorry it's not calibrated (yet)
JVC X750R and 120" screen, 9' view distance

shot with a Samsung S6 smartphone

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 09-06-2016 at 06:57 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #1363 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sillysally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,158
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybee View Post
Yes turn second audio off to get atmos and dtxs. If you still have banding issues with deep color off try setting color output to 4.2.2 this reduced the banding I was getting somewhat.
Yes plus using 4:2:2 outputs 12 bit, not the 8 bit of 4:4:4.
The Samsung outputted 8 bit 4:4:4.

The UB900 also does a very nice job with up-scaling to [email protected] SDR, at least with Amazon and Netflix. With my EF9500 the picture is very clean and stable with next to no blur or judder. And of course all enhancements turned off in both the EF9500 and the UB900.

The three downsides when comparing to the K8500 are.
1. Slower than the K8500.
2. Fewer apps.
3. Cost.

ss

"Don't worry be happy"
LG77C8, Klein K10-A, Jeti 1211, CMS Lightspace, Calman home plus licence for K10-A, Murideo 6G.
sillysally is offline  
post #1364 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 08:52 PM
Newbie
 
John Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
DVDs freezing

I thought I had a bad disc until I tried another one. Blu-Rays and UHDs work fine. But Clueless on DVD would play for a second ... freeze.... play 2 seconds .... freeze....
Same thing with Disneys Herbie The Love Bug.

very strange...

Anyone else have problems with DVD?
John Keenan is offline  
post #1365 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,506
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5537 Post(s)
Liked: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Yes plus using 4:2:2 outputs 12 bit, not the 8 bit of 4:4:4.
The Samsung outputted 8 bit 4:4:4.

The UB900 also does a very nice job with up-scaling to [email protected] SDR, at least with Amazon and Netflix. With my EF9500 the picture is very clean and stable with next to no blur or judder. And of course all enhancements turned off in both the EF9500 and the UB900.


ss
The same is true with the Phillips, except it does not allow you to select 4:2:2. If you leave deep color on, standard blu ray is output at 4:4:4 12 bit. With it off it's 8 bit. That's why I am going to get the Panny. The option to choose 4:2:2.
wxman is online now  
post #1366 of 4775 Old 09-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Senior Member
 
whmacs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chisholm, Australia
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Hi All,
As I've now had the player for a few days now, I though I would comment on the DMP-UB900's performance with a 4K TV (Sony XBR-65X900A) that does not have HDR, wide colour gamut or HDCP 2.2...

First off, let me say the standard Blu-ray up-scaling capability of this player is phenomenal! I have an Oppo 103D for comparison. If you have the Avatar blu-ray, throw that on and be impressed! Here lies the issue. I'm actually having a bit of a hard time seeing the differences between a standard blu-ray up-scaled by this player and a 4K one. With a 4K blu-ray the player tries to do pseudo HDR and it does not look all that different to an up-scaled standard blu-ray. I also have to fiddle with the brightness a bit on 4K HDR blu-rays because of this. 4K blu-rays are a touch sharper if you are close to the screen, but once you stand back more that a couple of metres its hard to tell them apart. Colours are maybe a touch better on a 4K blu-ray, but it is pretty close. Panasonic should be congratulated in doing such an outstanding job with the up-scaler.

If you have a TV that supports HDR and wide colour gamut you will be blown away watching 4K blu-rays or up-scaled standard blu-rays with this player. It makes me a little sad that I really should have a newer TV to appreciate the full capabilities of the DMP-UB900.

As a side note, I'm using a HD Fury Integral to overcome the lack of HDCP 2.2 copy protection on my TV. This device works exceptionally well. I told the Integral my TV supports 4K 50/60Hz at 4.2.0 and the Integral takes care of the rest. Pressing the info button on the Panasonic shows that 4K blu-rays are being received by my TV in 4K/24p 4.2.2 12bit and look great. I'm using a 10 metre powered HDMI cable which works fine at 4K/24p 4.2.2, but can't comment on 4.4.4.


Regards,
Stephen

Edit: I may have to retract some of what I said above. I just received the 4K version of 'Lucy' this afternoon and it looks absolutely stunning even on my 3 year old TV!
wxman and StanGeek like this.

Last edited by whmacs; 09-06-2016 at 03:28 AM.
whmacs is offline  
post #1367 of 4775 Old 09-06-2016, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 231
So Pio are you happy with the overall performance of the Panasonic player. I played my first Disc last night Chris Botti Boston concert which is 1080P/24fps and I must say it really looked good I actually left everything on the players default settings an even with leaving secondary audio on I still got Dolby True HD audio. I did not see any banding but I believe that is something that is just on 4K discs, I have a number of 4K disc's but not Life of PI are there any other 4K disc's that have been reported to show banding so I can check to see if my Sony 940C has that problem?

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp

Last edited by markrubin; 09-06-2016 at 07:44 AM.
mt14942 is offline  
post #1368 of 4775 Old 09-06-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 2,003
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Please when you quote a post try not to include all the pics. It causes issues for forum members using mobile devices. Thx

Clark
Clark Burk is online now  
post #1369 of 4775 Old 09-06-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Please when you quote a post try not to include all the pics. It causes issues for forum members using mobile devices. Thx

Ok, will do. I noticed that there is no HDR on the Amazon app. Not really a big deal since I get HDR from Amazon on my Sony 940C but it doesn't give me Dolby Digital 5.1, where as the Panasonic 4K player does. It would be nice to have both, maybe they will include it in a firmware update?

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
mt14942 is offline  
post #1370 of 4775 Old 09-06-2016, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,436
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8545
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
So Pio are you happy with the overall performance of the Panasonic player. I played my first Disc last night Chris Botti Boston concert which is 1080P/24fps and I must say it really looked good I actually left everything on the players default settings an even with leaving secondary audio on I still got Dolby True HD audio. I did not see any banding but I believe that is something that is just on 4K discs, I have a number of 4K disc's but not Life of PI are there any other 4K disc's that have been reported to show banding so I can check to see if my Sony 940C has that problem?

Yes, very pleased!

Secondary Audio is for voice-over commentaries , menu sounds etc. on "some" blurays.
When a BD containing those in ADDITION to a TrueHD/DTS-MA with Atmos/DTS:X embedded information,
the object based meta data it will be omitted from the bitstream and you will get TrueHD/DTS-MA only.

That 's why you turn Secondary Audio off, unless you prefer commentary tracks instead of Atmos/DTS:X.

1080p material is played at 4:4:4 but only 8 bit and is certainly susceptible to potential banding issues.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 09-06-2016 at 08:38 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #1371 of 4775 Old 09-06-2016, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,436
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8545
For the record,

I can only get 4K/24p 4:4:4 bit if I run the short 18Gbps HDMI cable that came with my UB900 direct to my JVC.
The Redmere Active High Speed cable (40' long) that runs from my AVR to my JVC is limited to 4:2:2/12 bit. (not 18Gbps rated)



If I run direct to PJ from player and the long run to the AVR for audio only,
I lose my onscreen overlay from my AVR, lip sync is about 100ms off, and all other players lose access to the projector

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #1372 of 4775 Old 09-06-2016, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Yes, very pleased!

Secondary Audio is for voice-over commentaries , menu sounds etc. on "some" blurays.
When a BD containing those in ADDITION to a TrueHD/DTS-MA with Atmos/DTS:X embedded information,
the object based meta data it will be omitted from the bitstream and you will get TrueHD/DTS-MA only.

That 's why you turn Secondary Audio off, unless you prefer commentary tracks instead of Atmos/DTS:X.

1080p material is played at 4:4:4 but only 8 bit and is certainly susceptible to potential banding issues.

Thanks PioManiac, so far I too am enjoying this player and have had no issues. I haven't explored the audio side of this player yet which is one of the reasons I got this player, nor played a 4K disc. I did notice that the Amazon App doesn't have HDR yet but maybe there will be a firmware update for that. Not really a big deal since my Sony display has HDR on the Amazon App. So Dolby True HD & DTS Master audio take priority over Secondary Audio which Is why the Chris Botti in Boston concert played the Dolby True HD audio. I don't have Atmos/DTS:X so I can just leave that setting on the default setting of Auto.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
mt14942 is offline  
post #1373 of 4775 Old 09-06-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,745
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2188 Post(s)
Liked: 2326
How is the upscaled image quality when streaming from a NAS to a 4K display?

I have one to one bluray rips stored on my nas. I would assume the image quality of the upscaled image should be identical to the actual bluray disk?

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
drewTT is offline  
post #1374 of 4775 Old 09-06-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SpenceJT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I took delivery of my new UB900 this past Friday 2Sept, and while it is a very nice unit, I am more than a little disappointed that Panasonic's "flagship" player, has no support for VUDU streaming.

I hope that Panasonic returns VUDU to their application line-up by way of an upcoming firmware update. I have a sizable library of digital content that I can not currently access. I resent the possibility that I may need to purchase an additional piece of hardware, to obtain functionality that this $700 "flagship" does not include.
mbw23air and Doogle like this.

SpenceJT


"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
SpenceJT is offline  
post #1375 of 4775 Old 09-06-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 25,192
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 2294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
Please when you quote a post try not to include all the pics. It causes issues for forum members using mobile devices. Thx
Excellent pt. maybe PioManiac could use spoiler tags for his pics..that might solve the problem too...esp since there are a lot of them
rboster is online now  
post #1376 of 4775 Old 09-06-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,436
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8545
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Excellent pt. maybe PioManiac could use spoiler tags for his pics..that might solve the problem too...esp since there are a lot of them
I could do that easily, anything to help out , or I could use thumbnail links
that open to the larger photobucket originals ? for example:

I was just checking out my Black Level performance with my old 08' Pioneer Kuro Demo disc:




fixed the previous post too, and added a couple more

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 09-06-2016 at 07:00 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #1377 of 4775 Old 09-06-2016, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
henrich3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 1,530
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 515
I finally got around to playing with my UB900 tonight. Of significant interest was the Panny's Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment feature. I had hoped that it would offer some sort of tone mapping if I disabled HDR using an Integral. I popped in the Lucy UHD disc and paused the scene near the beginning showing the first "Lucy". The bright cliffs in the background have some white crush when viewed in SDR. Lowering the Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment setting did eliminate the crush, but lowering the Contrast can do the same thing. I decided to leave the Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment feature off and just lower the Contrast to -2.

The UB900 does output a lovely picture. Not sure if it's any better than the much less expensive Phillips BDP-7501 however...
henrich3 is offline  
post #1378 of 4775 Old 09-07-2016, 12:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Select 5Ghz vs 2.4 when SSID is identical?

Quick question; and I fear I know the answer (had a similar problem on my older Panasonic TV);

I have both a 2.4 and 5Ghz network (a,b,g,n,ac), and literally all my devices will either try to connect to ac/5Ghz when they can, or they let me select it.

In the case of the UB900, 'both' networks (with the same name) show up; and I can tell which is the 5ghz via the Option key. However, no matter what I select, it seems the player always chooses the first one in the list (the 2.4).
I have them named the same for a reason; is there a no way to 'force' the UB900 to use one over the other (i.e. the 5Ghz network)?

thx
Brataccas is offline  
post #1379 of 4775 Old 09-07-2016, 12:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 20
sharpness, edge etc. (advanced video settings)

I thought I saw this noted before, but couldn't find it;
I noticed that a lot of the default settings for edge enhancements, sharpness etc. are set to 2. I assume consensus is to take it all to 0 to achieve best picture (no added processing)?

Thanks!
Brataccas is offline  
post #1380 of 4775 Old 09-07-2016, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,328
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post
I finally got around to playing with my UB900 tonight. Of significant interest was the Panny's Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment feature. I had hoped that it would offer some sort of tone mapping if I disabled HDR using an Integral. I popped in the Lucy UHD disc and paused the scene near the beginning showing the first "Lucy". The bright cliffs in the background have some white crush when viewed in SDR. Lowering the Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment setting did eliminate the crush, but lowering the Contrast can do the same thing. I decided to leave the Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment feature off and just lower the Contrast to -2.

The UB900 does output a lovely picture. Not sure if it's any better than the much less expensive Phillips BDP-7501 however...

I have the Samsung 4K player and I would be hard pressed to say that when it comes to 4K that one is better than the other. I bought the Panasonic player for It's audio capabilities and it's overall design with the front panel display the nicer remote control and it feels to be more solidly built. I also think it up scales bluray 1080 as good as my TV maybe even better so much so that it's almost hard to see the difference when comparing it to some 4K disc's. I think the Law Of Diminishing Returns comes into play at some point. Don't get me wrong I am very happy I got the Panasonic player even though I had no real complaints with the performance of the Samsung but for me more just the overall poor design and the way too small remote.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
mt14942 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player hdmi input , 900 , DMP-UB900 , trying to get atmos engaged.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off