Panasonic DMP-UB900 thread. - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5306Likes

post #1501 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I think some here are confusing the decade old spec for "Deep Color" that never really took off,
vs the new Wide Color Gambit on the new 4K/UHD/HDR Blurays.

...they are NOT the same thing,

if having DC turned on or set to auto causes banding on your TV, turn it off, simple.
If it doesn't effect your TV/Projector leaving it on/off or auto will make zero difference.

You won't lose HDR/WCG from your 4K BD's by turning Deep Color off.

Exactly. Some displays have a 8 bit/10 bit setting for each HDMI input that can read like a “Deep Color” setting, but leave it off in the player, especially if you see PQ issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post
Can you expound on the differences a bit? I'm trying to decide between the Philips and this player and $400 is a hell of a difference (I could buy a significant chunk of the UHD discs out there with that difference.)

I have a 65" C6, so a similar display as you. The Panasonic has a lot of stuff that I really won't need which would be inflating the price for me. I don't need all of the audio outputs since I have a receiver that can decode all the formats out there. I don't need the music audio handling either. I would also prefer a smaller player. I just need something that will play UHD blu-rays and upscale regular blu-rays with quality that will not short change my display.

If you aren't pausing and pixel peeping, can you really spot the difference between the Philips and Panasonic in regards to video quality?
I second @wxman here. If you can swing the extra $400, the Panasonic is a much better player overall. I have the Samsung K8500, and just replaced my Philips with the Panasonic 900 so I'm familiar with all 3 4K players now. The Panasonic has by FAR the best remote, and the most HDR output options (which my finicky Sony projector really needs). It's the same basic processor as the Philips, but the Philips is badly stripped down. The Philips menus are positively 3rd world in their look and sparseness, and it is sssllloooowww to do everything. Put in a 4K disc... go get a snack and the menu might be up when you're back. But the biggest advantage the Panasonic has over the Philips is multiple picture mode settings so you can set one for regular blu-rays and one for UHD. The Philips maddeningly had only one set of picture setting memory. So if you got your contrast set right for UHD, your blu-rays were all blown out. I literally had to resort to keeping an older blu-ray standalone player for Blu-rays, and used the Philips only for 4K HDR. But, it is a lot cheaper, and comes with Creed and a short but working 4K HDMI cable. So no arguing it's less than half the price.

my $0.02 - hope it helps.
ultramookie likes this.

Sony VPL-VW665ES 4K HDR Projector | Denon AVR-X7200WA Reciever | Philips BDP7501 4K Blu-Ray Player | GoldenEar Triton One, 2+, Aeon 3, HTR-7000 ATMOS speakers
post #1503 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX666 View Post
Hi Again !

I know...that crushing blacks etc. may have something to do with Brightness Settings...

But sorry...
With the K8500 Player there is no such propblem with the JVC X-Series Projectors.
So...no one here using the Panny with a JVC?

There is no way to make the darkest shades of gray visible by using Brightness or Gamma Controls on the JVC as Long as you use the UB900.
The "Gamma"-D-Mode on the JVC is supposed to be the correct EOTF "Gamma" and at least with the K8500 it works...

I just hoped there was someone who found a solution...

Greetings
TEX
For UHD/HDR 10-bit content, black is represented by bit 64, reference white is bit 509, and the max HDR luminance is bit 940. If a pixel is supposed to be black, then the RGB triplet for that pixel will be encoded as 64.64.64. If a pixel is the shade of grey just above black, its RGB triplet will be 65.65.65. For a player to crush black it would have to take the 65.65.65 triplet that's on the media and output it as 64.64.64. Assuming that the player's Brightness control is zero'ed out, no player would do that.

EDIT: I see in the owner's manual that the UB900 has some gamma controls in its Picture Settings -> Luminance/Color Adjustment menu. I'm guessing that the "Black Gamma" option in that menu would allow you to minimize or eliminate black crush. Typically those issues should be resolved with the display's settings (calibration) rather than in the player, but the UB900 has that flexibility if you need it.
PioManiac likes this.

Last edited by henrich3; 09-13-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1504 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2780 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Can anyone please tell me if the UB900 still comes with Mad Max and San Andreas in the States?
post #1505 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Mine did not
post #1506 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediStitch View Post
I second @wxman here. If you can swing the extra $400, the Panasonic is a much better player overall. I have the Samsung K8500, and just replaced my Philips with the Panasonic 900 so I'm familiar with all 3 4K players now. The Panasonic has by FAR the best remote, and the most HDR output options (which my finicky Sony projector really needs). It's the same basic processor as the Philips, but the Philips is badly stripped down. The Philips menus are positively 3rd world in their look and sparseness, and it is sssllloooowww to do everything. Put in a 4K disc... go get a snack and the menu might be up when you're back. But the biggest advantage the Panasonic has over the Philips is multiple picture mode settings so you can set one for regular blu-rays and one for UHD. The Philips maddeningly had only one set of picture setting memory. So if you got your contrast set right for UHD, your blu-rays were all blown out. I literally had to resort to keeping an older blu-ray standalone player for Blu-rays, and used the Philips only for 4K HDR. But, it is a lot cheaper, and comes with Creed and a short but working 4K HDMI cable. So no arguing it's less than half the price.

Oh, I could swing the extra money for the player, but nothing you mentioned are things that are priorities for me. The pack in remote is only used as long as it takes to get the new device programmed into my Harmony. Menus don't bother me since I rarely interact with them (turn the thing on, insert disc). I also never adjust picture parameters on the player itself. I want my player just to output the contents of the disc (aside from upscaling when necessary). The TV itself handles storing settings separately for SDR and HDR and auto-switches them.

I didn't really notice any performance issues. Regular blu-rays seem to load up faster than my Sony S790 and when I tried out Deadpool last night, it loaded right up for me as well.

My main concern was how much better the player upscaled regular blu-rays to 4k because, quite frankly, I don't expect UHD blu-ray catalogs to get too expansive so its main duty is going to be playing regular blu-rays for most of its life with the occasional UHD title thrown in. The Panasonic might be doing a little bit of special sauce in the upscale, but I doubt there's going to be a ton of difference in their output since they are using the same SoC.

Too bad they aren't releasing the UB700 over here. I think they could do decently well with a model in the $250-$350 range that focuses purely in image quality and eschews some of the audiophile features like the discrete audio outputs.
mbw23air likes this.
post #1507 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Can anyone please tell me if the UB900 still comes with Mad Max and San Andreas in the States?
No movies in mine.
post #1508 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked: 1783
Quote:
I don't own one, but...

Did the US retail package ever include those two films? I don't recall which market had them, but I don't think it was the US.
post #1509 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinedelmar View Post
... will not decode the DTS Master HD or Dolby True HD audio bitstream which is fed by the HDMI Audio Out from the Panny.
That's because the HDMI output from all makes and models of televisions is not able to bit-stream HD audio, as the HDMI specification does not support such a feature

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #1510 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjboshart View Post
Mine did not
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
No movies in mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I don't own one, but...

Did the US retail package ever include those two films? I don't recall which market had them, but I don't think it was the US.
I see. Thanks for your responses.
post #1511 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
I see. Thanks for your responses.
In Canada, we get a hdmi cable included.
post #1512 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediStitch View Post

do 4K Blu-rays look better on the Panasonic then they do on the Samsung K8500? Compared to my Oppo 103D the K8500 appears more dim and less vibrant than the Oppo with discs.
post #1513 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post
do 4K Blu-rays look better on the Panasonic then they do on the Samsung K8500? Compared to my Oppo 103D the K8500 appears more dim and less vibrant than the Oppo with discs.

I know of one one post where he or she had the Oppo 103D and said they preferred it's picture over the Panasonic. IMO though the Panasonic up scales a bit better the Samsung, and is pretty close to using my TV doing the upscaling. Close enough that I just leave the Resolution on Auto and just let the player do the up scaling that way I don't have to remember to change the resolution when I go from 1080 to 4K.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
post #1514 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 03:15 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 424 Post(s)
Quoted: 11737 Post(s)
Liked: 6966
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I know of one one post where he or she had the Oppo 103D and said they preferred it's picture over the Panasonic. IMO though the Panasonic up scales a bit better the Samsung, and is pretty close to using my TV doing the upscaling. Close enough that I just leave the Resolution on Auto and just let the player do the up scaling that way I don't have to remember to change the resolution when I go from 1080 to 4K.
Does the player have a "Source direct" output setting like the Oppo? This would allow 1080p sources to be up-converted by the display, which has always been my choice.
post #1515 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The K8500 is great for HDR and I think it's purposed to that extent. Keep in mind UHD Disc mapping is designed to showcase HDR and UHD discs can present with inconsistent brightness/tones when compared with another. With the new JVC projectors, the recommendation is to raise Contrast and Brightness in the K8500 player, to +7 and +3, respectively, but that's for the PJ. You can try to do that, but watch for clipping white and raising black.
post #1516 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
In Canada, we get a hdmi cable included.
Nice bonus.
post #1517 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
yeah we had some friends over to watch a movie and everyone preferred the Oppo 103D Blu-ray playing a Blu-ray over the Samsung K8500 playing a 4K disc with HDR. Crazy huh! But I had read the reviews saying the Panny UB900 had a better picture then the Samsung K8500. Several people have mentioned the K8500 has a dimmer less vivid picture then the K8500. I just wondered if people who had both
Thought the 4K discs looked better on the Panasonic???
post #1518 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
yeah we had some friends over to watch a movie and everyone preferred the Oppo 103D Blu-ray playing a Blu-ray over the Samsung K8500 playing a 4K disc with HDR. Crazy huh!
Id blame your display before I blamed anything else. UHD displays are not created equally, need to be setup properly, and some just dont plain do HDR well.

I have compared 5 discs, and while some HDR stuff aint perfect, Id take watching the UHD HDR version every time. Also, HDR is really setup that you should consume it in a darker room so it would potentially look dim if you watched it vs a standard blu in a bright room.
post #1519 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Id blame your display before I blamed anything else. UHD displays are not created equally, need to be setup properly, and some just dont plain do HDR well.

I have compared 5 discs, and while some HDR stuff aint perfect, Id take watching the UHD HDR version every time. Also, HDR is really setup that you should consume it in a darker room so it would potentially look dim if you watched it vs a standard blu in a bright room.
I felt the Some 4k discs look better with HDR than a Blu-ray and other don't. All discs are not created equal. Just wanted to know if anyone felt the 4K discs look better on the Panasonic than the Samsung? Reviews said they did. Is that everyone's experience? Or us it so close no difference?
Bandyka likes this.
post #1520 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
I think the Panasonic maps color better. There was red smearing and ghosting with the samsung
Bigmoviefan likes this.
post #1521 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 08:21 PM

I haven't had my Panny long enough to make the determination, granted there is proof it is not influencing the image beyond the way it was intended like the Samsung was, plus the red smearing on Blu is not there that I have seen. Now whether the price is worth it over it or the Phillips, that is up to the buyer.

I like it, it looks good (build and PQ), is quiet, remote is very nice, streaming seems to work well, and the menu layout is good. It will stay in my main HT and the Xbox S went to the bedroom.
Bigmoviefan likes this.
post #1522 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't had my Panny long enough to make the determination, granted there is proof it is not influencing the image beyond the way it was intended like the Samsung was, plus the red smearing on Blu is not there that I have seen. Now whether the price is worth it over it or the Phillips, that is up to the buyer.

I like it, it looks good (build and PQ), is quiet, remote is very nice, streaming seems to work well, and the menu layout is good. It will stay in my main HT and the Xbox S went to the bedroom.
Does it stream Both Netflix and Amazon with HDR. Samsung K8500 only does Amazon in HDR.
post #1523 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Does it stream Both Netflix and Amazon with HDR. Samsung K8500 only does Amazon in HDR.
They have not activated HDR on either I dont think, granted Netflix has almost no HDR content and that app is buggy on a couple of devices. Not sure it is fully ready yet. I would figure it would have the HDR Amazon by now.

It does 2160p Netflix as expected PQ wise, and the 1080p Amazon looks great. Hopefully we see some app updates soon.
post #1524 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuxs1806 View Post
I haven't heard about any quirks on the Xbox One S Netflix app, yet fully HDR compatible.
As for Netflix HDR content, it is starting to grow and will keep on growing.

On top of that, I don't see why I had to spend the biggest amount of money (the UB900 is the most expensive UHD drive yet), but have to content myself with viewing 4K series/movies in an "inferior" version.
A lot of people seem to forget the Japanese panasonic uhd bluray player that was like $3k

Media: Samsung PN51F8500|Denon AVR-X3000|Paradigm Monitor 9 v7's|Paradigm CC-270-v3|Apple TV 4K|Panasonic DMP-UB900|W10 HTPC w/MPC-HC+LAV+madVR|Sonos ZP90|Panamax M5400-PM
Gaming: LG 34GK950F|W10 PC 6700K+980Ti|J-Tech 5x1 HDMI switch|PS3 Original 60GB|PS Vita TV|Wii U|Schiit Jotunheim w/DAC|Sony MDRZ7
post #1525 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 5495 Post(s)
Liked: 5926
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaockle View Post
A lot of people seem to forget the Japanese panasonic uhd bluray player that was like $3k
it's a good thing to be patient and wait almost a year for the 'affordable' version at $699 US.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...n-november/#/6

I have the Samsung and UB900, I much prefer the UB900 for HDR and SDR WCG (combined with HDfury) on my JVC RS600 projector.
Roudan likes this.
post #1526 of 4780 Old 09-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
I am just trying to get some clarification as to what the proper settings are on the Panasonic 4K player with my Sony 940C TV. Basically I have been leaving everything on the players default setting but there are only two settings I am not sure that the default setting is optimal? The first one is the 4K 60P output of which the default is "Off" with the other two choices being "4k/60P (4:4:4)" and "4K/60P (4:2:0)". I read that all 4K disc's are 24P so the "Off" setting seems correct for 4K but what about 1080 bluray disc's would the "4K/60P (4:4:4) be the better choice) since my TV appears to be capable of this setting choice? I was concerned since I read about some banding happening with this setting. The second setting I'm not sure of and that is the default setting of "Auto" for Deep Color? The message below the setting choices recommend to leave this on the default setting of Auto. With the Samsung player the consensus was to leave Deep Color set to "off". I should say that I have played a couple of 4K disc's and 1080 disc's and they looked fine with all settings on the default choice.
I'm in exact same situation like you with same TV Sony 940C (Still the best TV i think, anyway).
I got the player today and loving it so far. I played many BD and UHD with HDR discs and still can't decide which one is optimal for either discs.
I felt that deep color Auto is better than off in many cases and 4k/60p choosing 444 seems also better than 422 option for BD. Like you said if you choose 4k/60p for UHD discs you get judder and kind of distorted pixel etc. I saw you can choose 3 different settings and used them depends on what you playing, how do you save them or change settings easily instead of going settings and changing it everytime for BD or 4K discs.
Anyway many things to play with. Please update here whatever you find.
So far Netflix and Amazon i rather use Sony's app rather than Panasonic, sound is better on Panasonic but HDR is not updated on the Panasonoc Netflix and Amazon apps, seems like.
But overall Panasonic is a very nice player for BD or UHD

Last edited by Salacak; 09-13-2016 at 10:53 PM.
post #1527 of 4780 Old 09-14-2016, 12:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They have not activated HDR on either I dont think, granted Netflix has almost no HDR content and that app is buggy on a couple of devices. Not sure it is fully ready yet. I would figure it would have the HDR Amazon by now.

It does 2160p Netflix as expected PQ wise, and the 1080p Amazon looks great. Hopefully we see some app updates soon.
Surprised neither app has HDR. Hopefully Panasonic corrects that quickly !
post #1528 of 4780 Old 09-14-2016, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Does the player have a "Source direct" output setting like the Oppo? This would allow 1080p sources to be up-converted by the display, which has always been my choice.

I have not seen a "Source Direct" option in the settings menu. Have you compared the up-scaling on the player to your TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacak View Post
I'm in exact same situation like you with same TV Sony 940C (Still the best TV i think, anyway).
I got the player today and loving it so far. I played many BD and UHD with HDR discs and still can't decide which one is optimal for either discs.
I felt that deep color Auto is better than off in many cases and 4k/60p choosing 444 seems also better than 422 option for BD. Like you said if you choose 4k/60p for UHD discs you get judder and kind of distorted pixel etc. I saw you can choose 3 different settings and used them depends on what you playing, how do you save them or change settings easily instead of going settings and changing it everytime for BD or 4K discs.
Anyway many things to play with. Please update here whatever you find.
So far Netflix and Amazon i rather use Sony's app rather than Panasonic, sound is better on Panasonic but HDR is not updated on the Panasonoc Netflix and Amazon apps, seems like.
But overall Panasonic is a very nice player for BD or UHD

As far as I can tell there is no way to save a particular setting dependent on whether you are playing a 4K disc or a 1080 disc, maybe I am not looking in the right place but at least I haven't seen away to do it in the settings menu. As far as the 4K/60P setting I have just left that on Off since 4K discs are 24P. I actually haven't compared using the 4:4:4 option when watching 1080 disc's and am curious about that. As far as Deep Color I have that turned to Off. Although if the default Auto setting works the way I always thought Auto should work, which is to turn on when it's called for and turn itself off when not I can't see any harm in leaving it on the default Auto setting. Maybe someone else could chime in on that?

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro

Last edited by mt14942; 09-14-2016 at 06:41 AM.
post #1529 of 4780 Old 09-14-2016, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaockle View Post

That player however did have balanced 2-channel analog outputs hardly worth the $2300.00 price difference.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #1530 of 4780 Old 09-14-2016, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3026 Post(s)
Liked: 2245
Quote:
That player however did have balanced 2-channel analog outputs hardly worth the $2300.00 price difference.
Was it not also a 'recorder' rather than just a player. It may have even had sat tuners in too, I can't remember exactly.

EDIT: Scratch that - just a recorder:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/panason...-sale-november
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player hdmi input , 900 , DMP-UB900 , trying to get atmos engaged.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page