Official Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 177 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40335Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5281 of 14194 Old 04-21-2016, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,072
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4520
Official Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player Owner's Thread

The connection has nothing to do with it. The HDR picture is dimmer to the eye because it retains more shadow detail and has more levels of gray. The highlights do not wash out the picture detail either. It may use the expanded color range too but not every HDR example will be graded the same. It is a superior image because it is closer to how it would actually look. Your eyes can discern more detail than an SDR picture can display and you will see more detail in the shadows and bright lights won't wash out the detail of what you are looking at.

SDR content will appear brighter but it will have less detail.
StanGeek likes this.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5282 of 14194 Old 04-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Member
 
rscultho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
Hmmm, then the only thing I can think of would be differences in picture settings on the TV between the app and the HDMI input.
Yea, well, I thought maybe there is a difference in the apps?

The image from the K8500 is just amazing. It has depth...like I am standing in front of the Khan watching the Latin talk to him.

I guess I will just use the apps on the k8500 until Sony advertises an update for the apps on the 940C.
rscultho is offline  
post #5283 of 14194 Old 04-21-2016, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cmdrdredd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 7,072
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked: 4520
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscultho View Post
Yea, well, I thought maybe there is a difference in the apps?



The image from the K8500 is just amazing. It has depth...like I am standing in front of the Khan watching the Latin talk to him.



I guess I will just use the apps on the k8500 until Sony advertises an update for the apps on the 940C.


Your 940c is using the latest version of the app which is why it is showing HDR.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
cmdrdredd is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5284 of 14194 Old 04-21-2016, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,137
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5934
Set the 8500 back up with one passive cable to the AVR, fired it up and Watched some of The Martian beginning. WOW. The highlights look great IMO, and the image was crisp and had a lot of dimension. Did not have any blips handshake wise firing things up, have the resolution and hdmi settings set to auto on the 8500. The Denon of course reported 4k/24 BT 2020 10 bit.

Can't wait to get everything calibrated and throw in The Revenant this weekend.
cmdrdredd, jeep05 and galonzo like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #5285 of 14194 Old 04-21-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Stanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Plano, TX USA
Posts: 3,841
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1763 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
The connection has nothing to do with it. The HDR picture is dimmer to the eye because it retains more shadow detail and has more levels of gray. The highlights do not wash out the picture detail either. It may use the expanded color range too but not every HDR example will be graded the same. It is a superior image because it is closer to how it would actually look. Your eyes can discern more detail than an SDR picture can display and you will see more detail in the shadows and bright lights won't wash out the detail of what you are looking at.

SDR content will appear brighter but it will have less detail.
The pictures at the following link (towards the middle of the article) do a good job of demonstrating what you just explained. It makes a lot of sense when you can "see" it. There's some good stuff at the end too.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.25.70]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
Stanton is offline  
post #5286 of 14194 Old 04-21-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,137
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5934
Im guessing that is what I saw during The Martian, the look was very realistic and you can't just chalk it up to resolution because I have watched other non HDR 2160 content.

It may be a "too soon" reaction, but I am pretty excited by what I saw.

The 8 bit vs 10 bit potential with grays and other colors is pretty wide, which will influence the PQ positively.
cmdrdredd likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #5287 of 14194 Old 04-21-2016, 05:09 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,414
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8967 Post(s)
Liked: 5747
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscultho View Post
Yea, well, I thought maybe there is a difference in the apps?

The image from the K8500 is just amazing. It has depth...like I am standing in front of the Khan watching the Latin talk to him.

I guess I will just use the apps on the k8500 until Sony advertises an update for the apps on the 940C.
It seems just the opposite for me. The HDR version from my 850C easily looks much better than the SDR version played from my K8500.

I'll be glad when the K8500 gets it's apps updated to play HDR. It the same way with Amazon HDR content too. From the 850C, which can play it, everything looks much better with Amazon HDR than the Amazon SDR versions that are played from the K8500.
nathan_h and cmdrdredd like this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-21-2016 at 05:12 PM.
aaronwt is offline  
post #5288 of 14194 Old 04-21-2016, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,137
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5934
Watching some Flash on Amazon HD right now (Hopper screwed up my recording) and it ramped up to HD real fast. Set on auto the Samsung is sending it to the LG as 2160p of course, and the image is great. I think it ramps up faster and may even look better than the Amazon HD on my Roku 4.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #5289 of 14194 Old 04-21-2016, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Forums have a search function to avoid reading multiple pages. Samsung users spent multiple pages talking about BDwise on and off. BDwise has nothing to do with HDR. It is a Samsung exclusive feature that has preset picture settings. In order for it to work/activate, the BD player and display need to be directly connected. It cannot run through an AVR. If you want to run BDwise, you will need to run dual HDMI cables for audio and video. If your receiver is capable of passing HDR, you will know HDR kicks if your display adjust backlight and contrast to max. If it is not adjusting, go to post 3644 by TheBigWet and the pages around it. He has listed display settings specific to Samsung.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post42420441
No kidding eh! As much as many of us, including yourself, try to offer members a helping hand, sooner or later threads dry up so for those "late to party" so to speak who are seeking out help there becomes a point that owners have moved on and therefore folks have to be a liitle more resourseful in seeking out information.

So with that being said, if I got a dollar for everytime I posted the following I would be rich, but here we go again...

________________________________________


How do I perform a search in this particular thread?

If you navigate to the top of the page right below the text "Thread Subscriptions" you will find a search box with a big SEARCH button next to it. This is NOT how to search a thread as the results will return every single hit on the entire AVS Forum website!

While viewing this thread, scroll to the top of the page and directly above the first post on each page you will see a drop down box titled "Search this Thread". Tap the arrow and you can enter your Keyword(s) and press the GO button.

You can also click on "Advanced Search" which allows you to stratify your search by including Keyword(s), along with User Name and Date Range criteria.

________________________________________

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
Musician is offline  
post #5290 of 14194 Old 04-21-2016, 11:12 PM
Member
 
spwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscultho View Post
So here's a question for anyone that can answer:

In the Netflix app on the K8500, when I display Marco Polo the info reads as 4K UHD/5.1.

When I access the Netflix app on my 75X940C, it reads HDR/5.1

Watching Marco Polo on the K8500 is like looking people standing in front of you. Watching Marco Polo through the TV Netflix (HDR) the image looks "uninspiring", almost flat.

I thought HDR was 4K, just a richer color image.

Anyone know what the difference could be?

TIA
Marco Polo hdr looks washed out on the 940c with the default settings. Lower the contrast from 5 to 10 ticks and see if it looks better. You may also want to lower the black level some too but it's all a guessing game on what proper settings are right for hdr content.
spwill is offline  
post #5291 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 12:59 AM
Senior Member
 
dannybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Perth,Australia
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsabrown View Post
As someone new to a thread with over 5000 posts it's not like you're going to read through all of them, isn't that the point of asking a question?

Now you say BDWise must be connected directly, why? Is it needed to activate the HDR? Why have a receiver that can pass through hdmi 2.0a if you can't utilize it?

Also in the very first post of the thread, you started, it says to turn off BDWise. Going to the first post of an official thread around here is typically where all the pertinent information is held for easy reference. So doing what is usual and customary to gather information I found I'm supposed to turn off BDWise. Do you see why I have questions? If I'm not supposed to ask respectful questions please let me know I'll move along.

From the first post:
It can run directly through your reciever if it is hdmi 2.0 I use BD wise and it passes through without a problem before the upgrade to hdmi 2.0a with the reciever and I find is a simple and great picture whether watching normal 1080 or uhd bluray.

LG 65C7T - SONY BRAVIA 65"Z9D
Marantz SR6012 - Pioneer SCLX 58 - Apple 4KTV
Oppo UBD 203/205- Oppo BDP 103 - Panasonic DMP UB900
Playstation 4 - Mordaunt Short Speakers
dannybee is offline  
post #5292 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
metalsaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western, Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,321
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Watching some Flash on Amazon HD right now (Hopper screwed up my recording) and it ramped up to HD real fast. Set on auto the Samsung is sending it to the LG as 2160p of course, and the image is great. I think it ramps up faster and may even look better than the Amazon HD on my Roku 4.

I agree that the ramp up speed of this unit for streaming content is impressive.
metalsaber is offline  
post #5293 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 04:48 AM
Senior Member
 
tulsabrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
No kidding eh! As much as many of us, including yourself, try to offer members a helping hand, sooner or later threads dry up so for those "late to party" so to speak who are seeking out help there becomes a point that owners have moved on and therefore folks have to be a liitle more resourseful in seeking out information.

So with that being said, if I got a dollar for everytime I posted the following I would be rich, but here we go again...

________________________________________


How do I perform a search in this particular thread?

If you navigate to the top of the page right below the text "Thread Subscriptions" you will find a search box with a big SEARCH button next to it. This is NOT how to search a thread as the results will return every single hit on the entire AVS Forum website!

While viewing this thread, scroll to the top of the page and directly above the first post on each page you will see a drop down box titled "Search this Thread". Tap the arrow and you can enter your Keyword(s) and press the GO button.

You can also click on "Advanced Search" which allows you to stratify your search by including Keyword(s), along with User Name and Date Range criteria.

________________________________________

Wow, really? You're so proud of the fact you tell people, you don't know, how to search a forum because a) you're incapable of offering a valuable reply or b) you just want to be rude?

I've been coming to this site since 2003 and I think it's a safe bet that I have a clue how to search it. Since I have less than 200 posts it's probably also a clue that I don't ask a lot of questions but yet tend to find my answers on my own. Occasionally I can't find what I need because either I'm unaware of the proper term to find my answer or from the sheer volume of posts this site sees the return posts total can be daunting. Now I've always been respectful on this site and I've always received the same in return. This particular thread that has not been the case.

For those people who for whatever reason need to pat themselves on the back for their amazing forum intelligence, if you don't want to help someone and answer their question, simply don't answer it. You're not required to respond. If you can't find a way to be respectful of others, it's often best to remain silent.
CoryW and jeep05 like this.
tulsabrown is offline  
post #5294 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 05:12 AM
Member
 
rscultho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsabrown View Post
Wow, really? You're so proud of the fact you tell people, you don't know, how to search a forum because a) you're incapable of offering a valuable reply or b) you just want to be rude?

I've been coming to this site since 2003 and I think it's a safe bet that I have a clue how to search it. Since I have less than 200 posts it's probably also a clue that I don't ask a lot of questions but yet tend to find my answers on my own. Occasionally I can't find what I need because either I'm unaware of the proper term to find my answer or from the sheer volume of posts this site sees the return posts total can be daunting. Now I've always been respectful on this site and I've always received the same in return. This particular thread that has not been the case.

For those people who for whatever reason need to pat themselves on the back for their amazing forum intelligence, if you don't want to help someone and answer their question, simply don't answer it. You're not required to respond. If you can't find a way to be respectful of others, it's often best to remain silent.
I too try and help myself before asking others, and don't have a huge post count.

I must agree with this sentiment. If you find questions that you are aware have been answered in the past and are annoyed by someone asking them, simply move on and relish the magnificence that is you.

If I come across such a post and I know it's been discussed I actually do a search and find it and post a link back to the place in the discussion thread to help out.

Point is we can choose to contribute/help/discuss or not. If you find yourself questioning someone else's ability or intelligence, you have most likely overlooked an important point of reference.

Sony XBR-75X940C, Pioneer SC-95, Panasonic DMP-UB900, Samsung UHD-K8500, Dish Hopper 3, Western Digital Live with Various video (non 4K stuff, audio)
rscultho is offline  
post #5295 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,137
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsaber View Post
I agree that the ramp up speed of this unit for streaming content is impressive.
Definitely. It is prob the fastest ramp up of tiered streaming I have experienced on any device (Netflix and Amazon). I can go to my Roku 3 and it may take 3-4 minutes to show HD on Amazon for whatever reason.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #5296 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,137
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsabrown View Post
Wow, really? You're so proud of the fact you tell people, you don't know, how to search a forum because a) you're incapable of offering a valuable reply or b) you just want to be rude?

I've been coming to this site since 2003 and I think it's a safe bet that I have a clue how to search it. Since I have less than 200 posts it's probably also a clue that I don't ask a lot of questions but yet tend to find my answers on my own. Occasionally I can't find what I need because either I'm unaware of the proper term to find my answer or from the sheer volume of posts this site sees the return posts total can be daunting. Now I've always been respectful on this site and I've always received the same in return. This particular thread that has not been the case.

For those people who for whatever reason need to pat themselves on the back for their amazing forum intelligence, if you don't want to help someone and answer their question, simply don't answer it. You're not required to respond. If you can't find a way to be respectful of others, it's often best to remain silent.

How about let's move on? People should always search first for obvious items that can be easily searched, should always read the first page of posts, and we are all guilty of not doing that at least once!

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP

Last edited by gadgtfreek; 04-22-2016 at 05:20 AM.
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #5297 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,259
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
How about let's move on? People should always search first for obvious items that can be easily searched, should always read the first page of posts, and we are all guilty of not doing that at least once!
For some reason when I am viewing 4K videos on You Tube on the K8500, with the Show Video Information enabled, the video resolution keeps going back and forth between 3840 X 2160 and 2560 X 1440 It won't seem to lock in. To be honest I can't see the difference when I'm looking at the video but was curious if anyone else has the same problem? Right now the connection speed is showing anywhere from the mid 4,500 Kbps to 5,500 Kbps. Is the connection speed the same as the internet speed that I am supposed to be getting from Comcast's Blast speed that I signed up for? Oh by the way I am hard wired to the player.

Sony 75xZ9D
Sony UBP-X800 4K player
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
mt14942 is offline  
post #5298 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
loudog2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 512
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsabrown View Post
Wow, really? You're so proud of the fact you tell people, you don't know, how to search a forum because a) you're incapable of offering a valuable reply or b) you just want to be rude?

I've been coming to this site since 2003 and I think it's a safe bet that I have a clue how to search it. Since I have less than 200 posts it's probably also a clue that I don't ask a lot of questions but yet tend to find my answers on my own. Occasionally I can't find what I need because either I'm unaware of the proper term to find my answer or from the sheer volume of posts this site sees the return posts total can be daunting. Now I've always been respectful on this site and I've always received the same in return. This particular thread that has not been the case.

For those people who for whatever reason need to pat themselves on the back for their amazing forum intelligence, if you don't want to help someone and answer their question, simply don't answer it. You're not required to respond. If you can't find a way to be respectful of others, it's often best to remain silent.
Too many people want to be keyboard warriors and forum police. Some people need to just relax. No one knows if someone really tried to search it or even don't know how to search. With some threads, who has time to read through 1000 posts. I don't get bent out of shape for someone asking a question answered 5 posts earlier. Just tell them that's answered 5 posts earlier instead of being a a** about it.

Sony 940C*Sony HX909*Samsung K8500*Yamaha 3050*klipsch front RP-280's*rear RF-3's*center RP-450C*Sides RP-280's*front heights RP-140's*overhead 5650cii's*SVS-PB2000x4*emotiva XPA-5*Yamaha YSP-1600 sound bar*Sony HT-CT370 sound bar
loudog2 is offline  
post #5299 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
For some reason when I am viewing 4K videos on You Tube on the K8500, with the Show Video Information enabled, the video resolution keeps going back and forth between 3840 X 2160 and 2560 X 1440 It won't seem to lock in. To be honest I can't see the difference when I'm looking at the video but was curious if anyone else has the same problem? Right now the connection speed is showing anywhere from the mid 4,500 Kbps to 5,500 Kbps. Is the connection speed the same as the internet speed that I am supposed to be getting from Comcast's Blast speed that I signed up for? Oh by the way I am hard wired to the player.
With that connection speed I am suprised you would ever get 3840 x 2160. I pay for 50,000 Kbps and as you can see have no problem achieving that.

Try www.dslreports.com/speedtest to see what it is reporting from the K8500's webbrowser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	1397578  

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
Musician is offline  
post #5300 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,137
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5934
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
For some reason when I am viewing 4K videos on You Tube on the K8500, with the Show Video Information enabled, the video resolution keeps going back and forth between 3840 X 2160 and 2560 X 1440 It won't seem to lock in. To be honest I can't see the difference when I'm looking at the video but was curious if anyone else has the same problem? Right now the connection speed is showing anywhere from the mid 4,500 Kbps to 5,500 Kbps. Is the connection speed the same as the internet speed that I am supposed to be getting from Comcast's Blast speed that I signed up for? Oh by the way I am hard wired to the player.
I am not sure on youtube tier requirements. Sounds like you are running right on the edge of what they require for 2160p streaming.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #5301 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CCsoftball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 3,693
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
For some reason when I am viewing 4K videos on You Tube on the K8500, with the Show Video Information enabled, the video resolution keeps going back and forth between 3840 X 2160 and 2560 X 1440 It won't seem to lock in. To be honest I can't see the difference when I'm looking at the video but was curious if anyone else has the same problem? Right now the connection speed is showing anywhere from the mid 4,500 Kbps to 5,500 Kbps. Is the connection speed the same as the internet speed that I am supposed to be getting from Comcast's Blast speed that I signed up for? Oh by the way I am hard wired to the player.
It's definitely a connection speed issue. I get 250+Mbps and have no issues streaming.

Sony XBR75X940C & XBR65A1E Samsung UBD K8500
My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps(Video), My Recommended Daytime Settings Apps, My non-HDR and HDR Settings, Setting HDMI to show no overscan
Sony XBR75X940C, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, DirecTV RVU and C61K, Chromecast Ultra
CCsoftball7 is offline  
post #5302 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
BD Wise Guy


What are the affects of the various UBD-K8500 Resolution settings?

Auto

- UHD blu-ray will be sent as 2160p/24
* no conversion *

- standard blu-ray will be sent at 2160p/24
* up converted *

2160p

- UHD blu-ray will be sent as 2160p/24
* no conversion *

- standard blu-ray will be sent as to 2160p/24
* up converted *

1080p

- UHD blu-ray will be sent as 1080p/24
* down converted *

- standard blu-ray will be sent as 1080p/24
* no conversion *

BD Wise

- UHD blu-ray will be sent as 2160p/24
* no conversion *

- standard blu-ray will be sent at 1080p/24
* no conversion *

Important

Don't forget that if you change it to 1080p to watch a 1080p standard Blu-ray and have your TV do the upscaling, to change it back afterwards or this will affect all 4K content from the K8500 including apps such as Netflix, YouTube and Amazon. For example, Netflix will no longer display the 4K/Ultra HD section because it will think your device is incapable of displaying 3840 x 2160 content.

Note: The BD Wise setting only applies to Samsung TV models produced prior to 2016 therefore owners of other models of televisions are stuck having to accept the player upscaling 1080p with it set to Auto (or 2160p) or have to keep going in and switching the Resolution setting back and forth on the player depending on the disc if they want the TV to do the upscaling. In this case the BD Wise option in the player will be greyed out.

For those with a Samsung TV produced prior to the 2016 models, proceed to the next section which will explain how to have the K8500 switch Resolutions automatically!


________________________________________


How do I have the K8500 send 1080p/24 to the TV automatically when playing a standard Blu-ray?

Situation
As discussed above, if you have the K8500's Resolution setting set to AUTO or 2160p the player will upscale 1080p/24 and send a 2160p/24 signal to the TV. As a result this would require you having to change the players Resolution setting each time you switched between an Ultra HD and a 1080p Blu-ray disc if you wanted your TV to do the upscaling.

Solution

For owners of Samsung TVs produced prior to the 2016 models they can avoid that situation and send 1080p/24 directly from the K8500 when it detects a standard Blu-ray disc. This allows the TV to use it's scaler which probably does a much better job of upscaing than the $400 player.

To do so you will need to configure the K8500 settings in the player as follows:

BD Wise = On

Resolution = BD Wise

In the TV settings it is strongly recommended that you leave BD Wise turned OFF on the TV and use Movie mode to achieve the closest picture to a calibrated set. This setting is found under the following menu:

MENU/123 >> System >> General >> BD Wise
Important

If the K8500 is connected to a TV that does not support BD Wise, you cannot use the BD Wise function and as a result the BD Wise option in the player settings will be greyed out. If you do own an applicable Samsung TV produced before 2016 and the BD Wise option is greyed out you will need to hook it up using Method 2 as per the attached example of my Wiring Diagram.


Suggestion: Since the K8500 will be using it's own HDMI input on the TV, my recommendation is that you Apply Picture Mode to Current Source rather than All Sources which will allow you to have unique settings for the UHD Blu-ray Player.

Note: If you have the K8500's BD Wise feature turned ON, the players "Picture Mode" setting that normally appears when you press the TOOLS button on the remote control is no longer available in the drop down menu.

I have taken the liberty of including charts prepared by @galonzo 's showing his meter readings that he took to provide members some baseline information as to what each of the K8500's Picture Mode presets are doing to the picture below.

Final Recommendations

As almost everyone I know will agree leave BD Wise turned OFF in the TV settings and use Movie mode which is the closest thing to a calibrated set if you aren't going to pay someone to do it.

In order for the K8500 to select the resolution automatically and not alter the picture settings, I will say it again -- definitely make sure that BD Wise is turned OFF in the TV settings and then in the K8500's settings turn it ON which overrides the other Picture Mode options.

Summary

To quote @mrtickleuk because I couldn't have said it better myself...

Quote:
I'm going to summarize as I now understand the situation.

  • In all cases turn BD Wise OFF at the TV end. None of this is about the TV's BD Wise, and it never was.
  • Using BD Wise on the player only does not "drastically change the picture", in fact the opposite is true. It's the best possible output with this player.
  • Posts which obfuscate the above two points are extremely unhelpful.

Best: If you have a 2015 Samsung model or earlier, then turn BD Wise on at the player end, and use it.
a) this will send non-scaled output to the TV, ie Blu-Rays will be sent as 1080, etc.
b) this had the most accurate output, measured by @galonzo .

2nd most accurate output. Use "Standard" output of the player.

3rd most accurate output. Use "User" mode with all settings at zero, on the player.

Movie and Dynamic were both worse than the three above.

Standard


User - set to all zeros


Movie - appears to slightly mute the picture


Dynamic - introduces clipping


BD Wise - If you have a Samsung TV (pre 2016 model), then you can turn on BDwise in the player,
and make sure BD Wise is turned off in the TV settings which appears to be the most accurate of all



My Samsung TV Settings


Note: HDR mode will max out Backlight to 20 and Contrast to 100


My UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Settings

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Wiring Diagram.png
Views:	41
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	1952545  
nathan_h, timatraw, kenih and 8 others like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 05-13-2017 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Updated My Wiring Diagram
Musician is offline  
post #5303 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 08:35 AM
Member
 
rscultho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Thanks for this information. I've copied it into a Word doc and saved it.

I will be reselling it on ebay...


(yes I am kidding...)
aaronwt likes this.

Sony XBR-75X940C, Pioneer SC-95, Panasonic DMP-UB900, Samsung UHD-K8500, Dish Hopper 3, Western Digital Live with Various video (non 4K stuff, audio)

Last edited by teachsac; 04-22-2016 at 08:47 AM.
rscultho is offline  
post #5304 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,032
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Please don't quote entire long posts. It makes it difficult for phone users. Thanks.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #5305 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,259
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
With that connection speed I am suprised you would ever get 3840 x 2160. I pay for 50,000 Kbps and as you can see have no problem achieving that.

Try www.dslreports.com/speedtest to see what it is reporting from the K8500's webbrowser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I am not sure on youtube tier requirements. Sounds like you are running right on the edge of what they require for 2160p streaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCsoftball7 View Post
It's definitely a connection speed issue. I get 250+Mbps and have no issues streaming.

Sorry guys I did not report the connection speed correctly it was showing between the mid 45,000's to the mid 55,000's but it does sometimes report in the low 20,000's sometimes assuming might be a lot busier time and that might affect the connection speed. Is that a correct assumption on my part that the amount of traffic in prime time might have something to do with this? I think the next thing I am going to do is invest in a good modem/router.

Sony 75xZ9D
Sony UBP-X800 4K player
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
mt14942 is offline  
post #5306 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rudy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 5,740
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 3254
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Please don't quote entire long posts. It makes it difficult for phone users. Thanks.
While I concur that quoting long posts can be an issue, it is often necessary in order to ensure the right questions are answered and complete information is provided. And I guess one could, on occasion, use the "SPOILER" trick. But I don't see why anyone should automatically be expected to make concessions for people who insist on viewing a site that is best suited for computer screens and tablets on a phone. What...are we suddenly a bunch of teenagers hanging out at the mall?
dkwong and bluemoon737 like this.
Rudy1 is online now  
post #5307 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
metalsaber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Western, Pennsylvania
Posts: 5,321
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 858
I browse the site on my iPhone and it's formatted for phone viewing. However it can't format the actual content of posts. So it certainly is nice if they aren't copied but oh well.
metalsaber is offline  
post #5308 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Musician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,187
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Sorry guys I did not report the connection speed correctly it was showing between the mid 45,000's to the mid 55,000's but it does sometimes report in the low 20,000's sometimes assuming might be a lot busier time and that might affect the connection speed. Is that a correct assumption on my part that the amount of traffic in prime time might have something to do with this? I think the next thing I am going to do is invest in a good modem/router.
With the SHOW VIDEO INFO screen dispaying the Connection Speed in the 45,000 to 55,000 Kbps range that should definately have no problem displaying 3840 x 2160 wheras my experience is if your speed drops into the low 20,000's it can struggle playing 4K.

In a few cases there are times my speed will drop playing YouTube videos but a quick speed test from my SmartHub browser app shows me 50,000+ so I chalk that up to YouTube traffic.

FYI, even though YouTube might indicate in it's video description that it is a 4K video, that is not always the case.
galonzo likes this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer
Musician is offline  
post #5309 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 11:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 37
So i got the bluray player, connected it, but just says no HDMI signal on every port i try, I have a samsung js9000 tv, bought an highspeed 21gb/s cable but there is no signal, tried 3 different types of cables.

any ideas? did i get a faulty set? the power does turn on and i hear the fan speeding up when i insert a disc... tried the hard reset.
Lasher3D is offline  
post #5310 of 14194 Old 04-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Senior Member
 
boltonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has anyone got HDR to output on the Netflix app? I just bought a 65EF9500 and I don't see HDR when I go to Marco Polo season 1 or the message stating HDR active when I click on an episode. According to members on here LG hasn't updated the Netflix app on the TV itself to support HDR but Sony told me they did for the 4K Blu Ray player.
boltonic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
color calibration , hdr player , member , settings

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off