Official Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 390 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40335Likes

post #11671 of 14194 Old 01-21-2017, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4429 Post(s)
Liked: 6708
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
I don't calibrate using a DVD for patterns. So, can't compare on my own. So, I can't do that test.
If you noticed, I posed a question as to HOW the readings were taken, and if the appropriate calibration of Brightness and Contrast were done for each. It the proper calibration was done for each setting, there should be literally no difference, except for Dynamic.
The question he asked is whether he could stick to the original settings of the BD, and this can be done by checking the `Input Info' for each setting. He didn't want 1080P being Input as 4K, but the original 2K. The charts presented were to show which was best, not which will give him the 1080P that the TV now up-converts.
There's no point in me asking a third time, is there? You'll never answer the question or say "I don't know", but you'll restate the claim nonetheless
Musician likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11672 of 14194 Old 01-21-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
I don't calibrate using a DVD for patterns. So, can't compare on my own. So, I can't do that test.

If you noticed
, I posed a question as to HOW the readings were taken, and if the appropriate calibration of Brightness and Contrast were done for each. It the proper calibration was done for each setting, there should be literally no difference, except for Dynamic.
The question he asked is whether he could stick to the original settings of the BD, and this can be done by checking the `Input Info' for each setting. He didn't want 1080P being Input as 4K, but the original 2K. The charts presented were to show which was best, not which will give him the 1080P that the TV now up-converts.
If you noticed it was @galonzo who did the readings and produced the charts so no need to get huffy by asking me questions as to "HOW the readings were taken" using capital letters.

I don't want to put words in @galonzo 's mouth but I believe the point of his readings were to provide members who can't calibrate their TV every other week with some baseline information as to what each of the K8500's Picture Mode presets are doing to the picture out of the box. The method he used were articulated in the link I provided in my earlier post.

Nor do I want to put words in @mrtickleuk mouth, but from my read of the recent posts on this thread (and the only reason I got involved) was because the subject stemmed from a discussion some guys were having asking if was possible to obtain native resolution from the player without them having to go in and change the Resolution setting each time... which it is using the little trick I discovered back in April 2016 for owners of pre-2016 Samsung TVs.

I only included @galonzo 's charts to assure guys that turning on BD Wise in the player and leaving it off in the TV settings would have no adverse affects and to clear up any confusion left by your ambiguous "BD Wise drastically changes the PQ" post.

Cheers!
rlb, galonzo and mrtickleuk like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 01-21-2017 at 05:15 PM.
post #11673 of 14194 Old 01-22-2017, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Nor do I want to put words in @mrtickleuk mouth, but from my read of the recent posts on this thread (and the only reason I got involved) was because the subject stemmed from a discussion some guys were having asking if was possible to obtain native resolution from the player without them having to go in and change the Resolution setting each time... which it is using the little trick I discovered back in April 2016 for owners of pre-2016 Samsung TVs.

I only included @galonzo 's charts to assure guys that turning on BD Wise in the player and leaving it off in the TV settings would have no adverse affects and to clear up any confusion left by your ambiguous "BD Wise drastically changes the PQ" post.

Cheers!
Thankyou for that post. He's never going to answer the question, so I'm going to summarise as I now understand the situation.
  • NB. In all cases turn BD Wise OFF at the TV end. None of this is about the TV's BD Wise, and it never was.
  • Using BD Wise on the player only does not "drastically change the picture", in fact the opposite is true. It's the best possible output with this player.
  • Posts which obfuscate the above two points are extremely unhelpful.

Best: If you have a 2015 Samsung model or earlier, then turn BD Wise on at the player end, and use it.
a) this will send non-scaled output to the TV, ie Blu-Rays will be sent as 1080, etc.
b) this had the most accurate output, measured by @galonzo .

2nd most accurate output. Use "Standard" output of the player.

3rd most accurate output. Use "User" mode with all settings at zero, on the player.

Movie and Dynamic were both worse than the three above.

The end.
Rudy1, NTC, dwaleke and 3 others like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 01-22-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11674 of 14194 Old 01-22-2017, 08:56 AM
NTC

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost too old View Post
<snip>
Can I assume the newer dated 1009.1 FW is the same as what I currently have and only the date was modified when they put it back up?
You assumed correctly.
post #11675 of 14194 Old 01-22-2017, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTC View Post
You assumed correctly.
As I thought and thanks for the answer

UN60HU8550FXZC / UHD w/ SEK-3500U, Arris VIP5662W Whole Home PVR, ONKYO TX-SR353, 4K Apple TV and UBD-K8500 /ZC
UN65KS8000FXZC /SUHD w/Arris VIP5662W Whole Home PVR, Denon AVR-S720W 5.1.2 and UBD-K8500 /ZC
post #11676 of 14194 Old 01-22-2017, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Thankyou for that post. He's never going to answer the question, so I'm going to summarise as I now understand the situation.
  • NB. In all cases turn BD Wise OFF at the TV end. None of this is about the TV's BD Wise, and it never was.
  • Using BD Wise on the player only does not "drastically change the picture", in fact the opposite is true. It's the best possible output with this player.

Best: If you have a 2015 Samsung model or earlier, then turn BD Wise on at the player end, and use it.
a) this will send non-scaled output to the TV, ie Blu-Rays will be sent as 1080, etc.

3rd most accurate output. Use "User" mode with all settings at zero, on the player.

The end.
What if I don't have BDWise on my TV? Is the standard mode still the most accurate output of the player? Thanks!
post #11677 of 14194 Old 01-22-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
^^^^^Yes @akmandal , Standard would equate to minimal adjustment (if any at all) of this player's output.
Musician and mrtickleuk like this.

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4200W (Klipsch/HSU 5.1.2) | UDP-203 (fw 65-0131) | TiVo Bolt | Roku P+
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | AppleTV4K | TiVo Mini
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #11678 of 14194 Old 01-22-2017, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
^^^^^Yes @akmandal , Standard would equate to minimal adjustment (if any at all) of this player's output.
Thank you! I will use that from now. Cheers.
galonzo, Musician and mrtickleuk like this.
post #11679 of 14194 Old 01-22-2017, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
And thankyou for the testing which you did and sharing your results.

Ironically, I think that Standard is the default out of the box! When I first got mine I changed to "Movie" thinking it would be better, and then I changed to "User with all zeros" after reading posts telling me that was better too.
galonzo and Musician like this.

post #11680 of 14194 Old 01-22-2017, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Picture settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
And thankyou for the testing which you did and sharing your results.

Ironically, I think that Standard is the default out of the box! When I first got mine I changed to "Movie" thinking it would be better, and then I changed to "User with all zeros" after reading posts telling me that was better too.

Thanks for the testing the effect of the different pictures settings. I initially started using the STANDARD Setting when I received my K8500 last March. But through testing many different scenes over a period of time I concluded that the user setting yielded a slightly sharper picture not incorporating noise reduction. Mind you it was a very small difference but after testing many different scenes observing the picture close up and at 3 feet I concluded that the USER Setting was better for me. I wanted to stay away from the very slight noise reduction in the Standard Setting so I now use the USER Setting with all the parameters at zero.

Thanks.

Last edited by acermen1212; 01-23-2017 at 04:21 AM.
post #11681 of 14194 Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
..........Yes, as @p5browne , @DaMacFunkin , and myself (and most of the guys on the various Samsung TV threads for that matter) wholeheartedly agree, leave BD Wise turned OFF in the TV settings and use Movie mode which all the experts agree, is the closest thing to a calibrated set if you aren't going to pay someone to do it.

As for your question about having the player only select the resolution automatically and not alter the picture settings, definitely make sure that BD Wise is turned OFF in the TV settings and then in the K8500's settings turn it ON which overrides the other Picture Mode options.

As @galonzo 's tests have proven on the K8500 the BD Wise option provides the best setting, edging out Standard and then User according to his meter readings as shown in the player ..............................
Late last night I spent a couple of hours going back through this thread to educate myself on picture/resolution settings for both Bluray/TV and how they might interact. A lot of good info to take in and some seeming to be contradicting. I was having a hard time with BD Wise and picture mode settings as the two are separate. One setting being in the player "tools" section menu. The other only available while a disc is playing.

Don't know if it was late night or me just thick headed but I finally stumbled upon this post and didn't skim over the most important nugget (to me) in the last 50 pages.

"Make sure that BD Wise is turned off in the TV settings and then in the K8500's settings turn it ON.......

......... which overrides the other Picture Mode options."

It might be common knowledge and covered to boredom but it was the only time I have seen that relationship in print. Many thanks to @Musician , @p5browne , @DaMacFunkin ', @golo nzo and others for continuing my video education.
galonzo, Musician and mrtickleuk like this.
post #11682 of 14194 Old 01-23-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peja View Post
Late last night I spent a couple of hours going back through this thread to educate myself on picture/resolution settings for both Bluray/TV and how they might interact. A lot of good info to take in and some seeming to be contradicting. I was having a hard time with BD Wise and picture mode settings as the two are separate. One setting being in the player "tools" section menu. The other only available while a disc is playing.

Don't know if it was late night or me just thick headed but I finally stumbled upon this post and didn't skim over the most important nugget (to me) in the last 50 pages.

"Make sure that BD Wise is turned off in the TV settings and then in the K8500's settings turn it ON.......

......... which overrides the other Picture Mode options."

It might be common knowledge and covered to boredom but it was the only time I have seen that relationship in print. Many thanks to @Musician , @p5browne , @DaMacFunkin ', @golonzo and others for continuing my video education.
Thank you for your feedback.

As a result I have emphasized those points in my BD Wise Guy post by tweaking it a bit so it is more apparent that we are discussing BD Wise in the player settings only by adding the following Final Recommendations section and a Summary where I have incorporated @mrtickleuk words into my post as shown below because I couldn`t have said it better myself (and this leaves the door open so I can blame him if anyone is confused in the future).

Also, with the express consent of @galonzo and major league baseball, I have included his meter readings of the various picture modes on the player.

The full BD Wise post can be viewed in it`s entirety by clicking the following link...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post43484850

Final Recommendations

As almost everyone I know will agree leave BD Wise turned OFF in the TV settings and use Movie mode which is the closest thing to a calibrated set if you aren't going to pay someone to do it.

In order for the K8500 to select the resolution automatically and not alter the picture settings, I will say it again -- definitely make sure that BD Wise is turned OFF in the TV settings and then in the K8500's settings turn it ON which overrides the other Picture Mode options.

Summary

To quote @mrtickleuk because I couldn't have said it better myself...

Quote:
I'm going to summarize as I now understand the situation.

• In all cases turn BD Wise OFF at the TV end. None of this is about the TV's BD Wise, and it never was.

rlb, galonzo, Peja and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Musician; 01-23-2017 at 05:10 PM.
post #11683 of 14194 Old 01-24-2017, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So, on my 9800, the player won't allow this selection and is greyed out. Could this be a setting in the tv blocking it?

Last edited by Flint Ridge; 01-24-2017 at 05:24 PM.
post #11684 of 14194 Old 01-24-2017, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Ridge View Post
So, on my 9800, the player won't allow this selection and is greyed out. Could this be a setting in the tv blocking it?
And what exactly is a 9800 and what is grayed put?

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
post #11685 of 14194 Old 01-24-2017, 05:33 PM

Sorry Samsung 9800 TV. Using Cal-Night picture setting. Greyed out is BD Wise.

Last edited by Flint Ridge; 01-24-2017 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Clarity
post #11686 of 14194 Old 01-24-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 3254
Quote:
Please provide complete information so that other owners can assist you. The model of the TV and what picture settings you're using are not nearly enough. They will need to know what equipment is involved, how they are connected, and what exactly it is that you're trying to achieve.
Musician likes this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #11687 of 14194 Old 01-24-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Checking through some of your other posts I see you mean the Samsung KS9800 which is a 2016 model.

The BD Wise Guy post includes the following notation...

Quote:
Note: The BD Wise setting only applies to Samsung TV models produced prior to 2016 therefore owners of other models of televisions are stuck having to accept the player upscaling 1080p with it set to Auto (or 2160p) or have to keep going in and switching the Resolution setting back and forth on the player depending on the disc if they want the TV to do the upscaling. In this case the BD Wise option in the player will be greyed out.

For those with a Samsung TV produced prior to the 2016 models, proceed to the next section which will explain how to have the K8500 switch Resolutions automatically!
...as well as this important fact in the next section...

Quote:
Important

If the K8500 is connected to a TV that does not support BD Wise, you cannot use the BD Wise function and as a result the BD Wise option in the player settings will be greyed out. If you do own an applicable Samsung TV produced before 2016 and the BD Wise option is greyed out you will need to hook it up using Method 2 as per the attached example of my Wiring Diagram.
Unfortunately Samsung TV's produced after 2015 (such as the KS models) do not support the BD Wise option therefore you will need to trade with me.
Rudy1, rlb, galonzo and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Musician; 01-24-2017 at 06:46 PM.
post #11688 of 14194 Old 01-24-2017, 06:54 PM

Thanks Musician for clearing that up.
rlb, Terminader, Musician and 1 others like this.

80' PiROD tower, RG11, nikiml's optimized DBH20 UHF, nikiml's GH6 VHF both KT-200, HDHomeruns, Samsung UN65KS9800, UBD-K8500 & HW-K950
post #11689 of 14194 Old 01-24-2017, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2422 View Post
Hi all...still no sound when using the hdmi 2 output to Onkyo 3030 avr with the player connected to a new Samsung K8000. It works with an optical digital cable, but not with HDMI. Any help appreciated. Settings in the tv, Onkyo, player? Thanks.
On the BD player, you have to set the HDMI Audio Output option to HDMI2.

Hope that helps.

post #11690 of 14194 Old 01-25-2017, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpizza View Post
On the BD player, you have to set the HDMI Audio Output option to HDMI2.

Hope that helps.
yes, thanks...it's working now because of an odd fix that had nothing to do with settings, which I went through over and over again to try to figure out why there was no sound. I sent audio to the Onkyo through HDMI 2 without connecting HDMI 1 to the tv...I then connected HDMI 1 to the tv while audio was playing through the Onkyo and got video. My wife thinks I'm a "genius", but it was simply another random attempt to make it work. Why this worked is still a mystery, but I'm not complaining, lol...Prior to that when I connected HDMI 1 and 2 simultaneously, there was no sound with the avr set to BD....very pleased that it's working now, and it's great.
post #11691 of 14194 Old 01-25-2017, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
This player is great. I had it hooked up to my JS8500. I now have a LG OLED65B6P. Should I leave the settings the same or is there anything different I should change? Thanks Adam.
post #11692 of 14194 Old 01-25-2017, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormicide View Post
This player is great. I had it hooked up to my JS8500. I now have a LG OLED65B6P. Should I leave the settings the same or is there anything different I should change? Thanks Adam.
I think you'll have a better chance of finding settings info on the OLED thread. Just ask the guys there what settings they're using with their K8500...you'll probably have to alter settings for both the BDP as well as the display.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #11693 of 14194 Old 01-25-2017, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I meant with the player. I know w the JS it was said to have deep color off and to use 4:4:4 not sure if it's the same w the oled.
post #11694 of 14194 Old 01-25-2017, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormicide View Post
I meant with the player. I know w the JS it was said to have deep color off and to use 4:4:4 not sure if it's the same w the oled.
Those settings on the BDP-K8500 should be fine with your new display. And if you haven't already, you may want to subscribe to the "Official B/C/E/G6P OLED Calibration Thread".

post #11695 of 14194 Old 01-25-2017, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey guys! I posted something about this on the B6 OLED thread but fell flat (Rightfully so since it probably wasn't the place to be talking about it..) and sifting through the many pages in here, it sorta fell flat also.

But I've been experiencing the dimly lit scene/red color ghosting issue that a couple of others have been experiencing; very noticeable on scenes such as where Han confronts Kylo at the end of The Force Awakens; where it's really dark, but red illuminates on both of their faces. It looks blurry, ghosting almost. I'm set at USER mode on my K8500 with all settings to zero; still happening.

Just wondering if anyone found a fix for this or is it something that Samsung legitimately has to issue a firmware update for? Many thanks!

LG 55" B6 OLED | Denon AVR-x4300h | Outlaw Audio 5000 Model Amplifier | B&W HTM62 S2 - Center | B&W 684 S2 - Fronts | B&W 685 S2 - Surrounds | 2 x SVS SB-2000 Subwoofers | Oppo 203 4K UHD Blu Ray Player | Panamax M5300/Panamax PM8-AV
post #11696 of 14194 Old 01-25-2017, 10:08 AM

Liked: 13
Does anyone have any recommendation for a new remote control for this unit? I'm finding it very difficult to use due to the button sizes and placement. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello There
post #11697 of 14194 Old 01-25-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goombatommy View Post
Hey guys! I posted something about this on the B6 OLED thread but fell flat (Rightfully so since it probably wasn't the place to be talking about it..) and sifting through the many pages in here, it sorta fell flat also.

But I've been experiencing the dimly lit scene/red color ghosting issue that a couple of others have been experiencing; very noticeable on scenes such as where Han confronts Kylo at the end of The Force Awakens; where it's really dark, but red illuminates on both of their faces. It looks blurry, ghosting almost. I'm set at USER mode on my K8500 with all settings to zero; still happening.

Just wondering if anyone found a fix for this or is it something that Samsung legitimately has to issue a firmware update for? Many thanks!
I think it is a bit of both. Some scenes are lit red so red illumination is going to happen and then there was one particular brief scene where guys were referring to the phenomenon as "smearing". If it was prevalent on every disc then this would have caused an outcry but other than those initial posts dating back to the April 2016 time frame when the disc was first released this is the first post in a long time discussing anything similar.

It appears this issue was isolated and if it was something that Samsung could (or would) fix via firmware it probably would have happened by now.

If you jump to the following posts you will see it was a pretty active topic at the time with the word "smearing" appearing over 30 times on that page alone...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post43017762

...and if you use the Search this Thread feature you will find over 140 posts discussing "smearing". I believe the topic also came up in the UHD Content thread.

Last edited by Musician; 01-25-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Typo
post #11698 of 14194 Old 01-25-2017, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush083 View Post
Does anyone have any recommendation for a new remote control for this unit? I'm finding it very difficult to use due to the button sizes and placement. Any help would be appreciated.
just search this thread for 'remote' - lots of responses - here's one:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post50083273
post #11699 of 14194 Old 01-25-2017, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iang153 View Post
just search this thread for 'remote' - lots of responses - here's one:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post50083273
Crap, you beat me to it.

I was trying to hunt down this post of mine for @Ambush083 which also includes a picture...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post49536537

post #11700 of 14194 Old 01-25-2017, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote: