Official Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 404 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40335Likes

post #12091 of 14194 Old 02-27-2017, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 2052
Please discuss displays in the display areas.
jedurocher, jeep05 and Musician like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12092 of 14194 Old 02-27-2017, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
Why are you posting here? If I recall your previous posts, you couldn't wait to get rid of the Samsung. Are you not happy with your Oppo? If you wish to host a debate regarding the merits of both players, by all means please start your own thread. This is an "owner's thread", intended for people to discuss issues related to the player and the exchange of information which might be helpful to those who own it.
I don't have an Oppo. I don't really plan to get one either. Those esoteric players always seem to have compatibility issues. I'd just like to hear from those who have both.
post #12093 of 14194 Old 02-27-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
(snip)
...which is not what's happening here. Fully informed and respectful acceptance of director's intent is perfectly fine.
Aaagh! My eyes! My eyes!
mrtickleuk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12094 of 14194 Old 02-27-2017, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Move on. This is not the area for discussing director's intent when mastering movies, software deals, or display capabilities.
Bingo!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
jedurocher and jeep05 like this.
post #12095 of 14194 Old 02-27-2017, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I don't have an Oppo. I don't really plan to get one either. Those esoteric players always seem to have compatibility issues. I'd just like to hear from those who have both.

Better question for the comparison thread. I have the Samsung, Panasonic, and Oppo.
jeep05 likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #12096 of 14194 Old 02-27-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Please discuss displays in the display areas.
For clarification, are you saying that we shouldn't discuss or post with respect to the display capabilities of the UBD-K8500 and any particular TV set? ANd if such posts are allowed, are we allowed to post replies to clear up misstatements about such capabilities?

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
post #12097 of 14194 Old 02-27-2017, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
For clarification, are you saying that we shouldn't discuss or post with respect to the display capabilities of the UBD-K8500 and any particular TV set? ANd if such posts are allowed, are we allowed to post replies to clear up misstatements about such capabilities?

No. We shouldn't be getting into long debates about display technologies and capabilities as has been going on. Displays as it relates to the players are fine (i.e., I'm not getting HDR., am I missing a setting?, etc.).
jedurocher and jeep05 like this.

post #12098 of 14194 Old 02-27-2017, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Guess I'll have to see if working in Canada. Wife upset her 40" Samsung SmartTV set doesn't have it, so I figure the Samsung K8500 might fix the problem when I do my next BD Player upgrade.
I just got the K8500 and apparently the Amazon Prime Video app is not available in Canada.
post #12099 of 14194 Old 02-28-2017, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke23 View Post
I just got the K8500 and apparently the Amazon Prime Video app is not available in Canada.
Just checked and you are correct -- not available in Canada but it is in the USA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedurocher View Post
The Amazon app works just fine and does great HDR if you haven't invested in Roku or something else.
But on my Canadian Samsung TV, it does include the Amazon app which is also capable of HDR. Fickle eh!

Getting to the point we all need a Cheat Sheet just so we know what apps each of our devices include along with their capabilities (e.g. 1080p; 4K; HDR; DD 5.1; DD+; Atmos; etc.).
jedurocher and almost too old like this.

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 02-28-2017 at 10:45 AM.
post #12100 of 14194 Old 02-28-2017, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Just checked and you are correct -- not available in Canada but it is in the USA...

But on my Canadian Samsung TV, it does include the Amazon app which is also capable of HDR. Fickle eh!

Getting to the point we all need a Cheat Sheet just so we know what apps each of our devices include along with their capabilities (e.g. 1080p; 4K; HDR; DD 5.1; DD+; Atmos; etc.).
Hmmmm...some sort of FAQ spreadsheet or something like that. I'm sure we could find someone with that sort of experience.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #12101 of 14194 Old 02-28-2017, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Good discussion for the streaming area. I would push site admin to put it as a sticky if someone did it.

post #12102 of 14194 Old 02-28-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Even using a VPN to appear as a US site won't get the Amazon Prime Video App to show up in the Samsung Smart Hub app list. So I'm stuck with the Amazon app on my Android tablet which only allows me to stream to the tablet.
post #12103 of 14194 Old 02-28-2017, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cheat Sheet -- Sneak Peek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Hmmmm...some sort of FAQ spreadsheet or something like that. I'm sure we could find someone with that sort of experience.
Hmmmmm, yeah, that's it!!! As a matter of fact I wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't have something up my sleeve.

Quote:
Good discussion for the streaming area. I would push site admin to put it as a sticky if someone did it.
It's kind of a work in progress at the moment but me and a few others have been working behind the scenes to see what we can come up with. Due to the fact that every TV is different as well as what devices guys might own and how they have things hooked up, it can get a little messy. For example, as I mentioned earlier, in Canada we don't get Amazon on the UBD-K8500 whereas in the USA you do so my Cheat Sheet would look different than yours.

Another example that is creating quite the controversy these days is the Chromecast Ultra. Google only supports this device when plugged directly into a TV (and for many guys who don't own an AVR capable of 4K HDR pass-through this would be the only option anyways). For whatever reason it will only pass through DD 5.1 via most TVs past and present, so in the case of apps that encode in DD+ such as Netflix it is only outputting the sound in Stereo. However if you have a TV that support Dolby Digital Plus over ARC, then no problem, you'll get DD+ passed through the TV to your Receiver. There are very few TVs that support this currently.

With those variables in mind we have created a Word template to a allow a guy to download it and customize it to their hearts content. It allows for up to 8 devices and unlimited apps.

Before I forget, I want to be sure to mention @Rudy1 , @PJL99 and @galonzo who have provided input along the way. Lots of PM's flying back and forth behind the scenes. I even had the pleasure of a long distance call from Rudy to save our fingers one afternoon!

And hey guys, if you find that we have something that doesn't correspond with your beliefs as to how a particular device or app works, then please don't shoot the messenger (or I will have @teachsac keep you in line). Instead download a copy of the template when I make it available (probably next week) and fix it as it applies to your configuration.

Basically the only Microsoft Word skill you will require is the ability to go to the end of a line and hit the enter key to add another row so you can enter another app. Also the most complicated part might be using the Borders and Shading option to change the background color to give it a score.

The beauty of the Cheat Sheet is you would use the app coded blue for the Ultimate audio/video experience, then the one that is shaded green, and so on and so forth.

We are just waiting for the new Fire TV to be released on March 4th before we make the downloadable template public.

Here are the release notes:

Notes

1. For whatever reason the Chromecast Ultra is not sending DD+ to TVs that do not support Dolby Digital Plus over ARC otherwise in the case of the Samsung TV line-up for example, it would be converted to DD 5.1 by the TV's supported codecs and receive a minimum score of 'Good' for all of the apps listed in addition to the 'Ultimate' score it received for the YouTube app. Google is aware of this issue but has released a statement stating that the Chromecast is "intended to be plugged directly into the HDMI port of an HDTV, and the sound should be coming out through your TV's speakers. Any setups outside of this supported setup is not guaranteed to work".

2. If the Chromecast Ultra is plugged into a TV that supports Dolby Digital Plus over ARC such as the 2016 Vizio P model it will achieve the 'Ultimate' score for all of the apps listed in that column that are supported.

Scoring

Scores are based on devices being plugged into a TV or an A/V Receiver based on the way each of us has our equipment hooked up. The sample includes several devices hooked up via the TV, others hooked up to the AVR, and in the case of the UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray player, being hooked up to both via the dual HDMI Cables. Higher quality audio may be achieved with a TV that supports Dolby Digital Plus over ARC or connecting devices to an AVR that supports 4K HDR pass-through. If a device is only capable of outputting Stereo when other devices owned can provide the same quality Video with DD 5.1 or DD+ surround sound it received the minimum score.

Please see attached thumbnail to get a sneak peek...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheat Sheet - Draft 1.12.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1999201  
Rudy1, jeep05, galonzo and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Musician; 02-28-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Typo
post #12104 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
Just switch the color space from YCrCb to RGB and put in a HDR UHD BD. It is displaying the wrong levels. You can easily tell by putting in one of those Lionsgate discs encoded at PC levels such as Expendables 3, Ender's Game or Divergent. On the YCrCb color mode, the black level is too bright and everything looks washed out but when you set the player to RGB, it looks as a properly encoded disc on YCrCb.

Yeah, I have seen that and understand it was supposed to be dark but I fiddled with my settings the whole time to even see peoples faces. I do have a Philips player in a box, so I'll try to get it out to how that one looks.

I think Dreamliner and I are reference the same thread.
Hi, all UHD disk has been mastered using Video TV Legal levels, 64 code is black, 940 code is 100% of the signal (which is 10.000nits).

It's incorrect to set your player to output RGB-PC levels (it will screw all the levels), most of the players I have tested for digital errors have correct output to YCbCr (which is always video levels)...but with RGB-Video it will be similar output (with just some added digital errors in chroma)

The problem you see to the different black levels of the movies is coming from the fact that you have an OLED (with 0 nits Black) and Liongate movies (not all of them) has been mastered using a 42inch 1080p Dolby Pulsar Monitor (Direct LED) mainly, or SIM2 HDR47ES4MB which is 47inch 1080p LED (4.000nits) and have black level 0.005 nits. This is something you can see from each movie mastering metadata infoframe, other LionGate movies has been mastered using an 30inch 4K Sony BVM-X300 (OLED) @ 1.000 or 1.100 nits (and has 0 nits black level obviously), if you watch these titles mastered with (0 nits) black levels will look great to your OLED, but to the titles which has been mastered with 0.005 nits blacks, it's black level will be elevated a bit.
rlb, galonzo, Musician and 2 others like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #12105 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 02:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Quoted: 4429 Post(s)
Liked: 6708
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, all UHD disk has been mastered using Video TV Legal levels, 64 code is black, 940 code is 100% of the signal (which is 10.000nits).

It's incorrect to set your player to output RGB-PC levels (it will screw all the levels), most of the players I have tested for digital errors have correct output to YCbCr (which is always video levels)...but with RGB-Video it will be similar output (with just some added digital errors in chroma)

The problem you see to the different black levels of the movies is coming from the fact that you have an OLED (with 0 nits Black) and Liongate movies (not all of them) has been mastered using a 42inch 1080p Dolby Pulsar Monitor (Direct LED) mainly, or SIM2 HDR47ES4MB which is 47inch 1080p LED (4.000nits) and have black level 0.005 nits. This is something you can see from each movie mastering metadata infoframe, other LionGate movies has been mastered using an 30inch 4K Sony BVM-X300 (OLED) @ 1.000 or 1.100 nits (and has 0 nits black level obviously), if you watch these titles mastered with (0 nits) black levels will look great to your OLED, but to the titles which has been mastered with 0.005 nits blacks, it's black level will be elevated a bit.
Cool, many thanks for your informative post . The added errors alone is enough to put me firmly back to YCbCr settings.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12106 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 02:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Cool, many thanks for your informative post . The added errors alone is enough to put me firmly back to YCbCr settings.
Vincent from HDTVtest.co.uk performed at past a digital error test using my calibration disk as reference and the CalMAN's ColorChecker Classic (+Primary/Secondary Colors with 100% Saturation / 100% Stimulus Level) Chapter with DVDO AVLab TPG Color Checker function (where it displays the digital level of the selected pixel on screen) to measure each pattern output for digital errors when you playback a blu-ray, so the YCbCr output is fine.

I have posted the results here: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
galonzo and mrtickleuk like this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #12107 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 35
The streaming people are getting pretty good at detecting VPN's. When I first got a VPN, I could sign on to my UK BBC and Sky accounts, while at my French house with no problems. Now you have to jump through all sorts of hoops like signing on with the VPN turned off and then immediately switch it on before the streaming attempts to start. For the BBC to get iPlayer, you cannot use a standard UK Proxy IP at all, as that is detected ("transmission has no end point") and have to use a virtual UK IP address located in another country. I suspect it will only be a matter of time until the BBC block that one as well. Now that I have a UK Amazon Prime account, it will be interesting to see if that will work in France, either through the K-8500 App or via my Mac Mini Media player. The Amazon App, when I last used it on the K-8500, kept wanting to connect me to Amazon France, even though I put my UK sign on in several times and I am not connected to any French TV service but only to UK via Freesat. I suspect I may have to install the VPN at Router level but as I use one of Orange France's horrible Liveboxes, that may be difficult.

On a separate point, when I get back to France in April, should I update the Firmware for the K-8500 or not. I have an early Philips 4K TV with no HDR facility and only 4.2.2 input. It is working on 4K at the moment, so should I leave well alone on the basis of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? I would be really t'eed off if the firmware update "broke" the connection.

Wilson
post #12108 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 03:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:

Hmmmmm, yeah, that's it!!! As a matter of fact I wouldn't have mentioned it if I didn't have something up my sleeve.

Nice. However the info on Samsung TV Smarthub and YouTube is not entirely correct. 2016 models get 4K HDR.

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #12109 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

This is not the correct area for this. This area is specifically for the Samsung and its capabilities.
I WANT MORE and Musician like this.

post #12110 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:

It's kind of a work in progress at the moment but me and a few others have been working behind the scenes to see what we can come up with. Due to the fact that every TV is different as well as what devices guys might own and how they have things hooked up, it can get a little messy. For example, as I mentioned earlier, in Canada we don't get Amazon on the UBD-K8500 whereas in the USA you do so my Cheat Sheet would look different than yours.

Another example that is creating quite the controversy these days is the Chromecast Ultra. Google only supports this device when plugged directly into a TV (and for many guys who don't own an AVR capable of 4K HDR pass-through this would be the only option anyways). For whatever reason it will only pass through DD 5.1 via most TVs past and present, so in the case of apps that encode in DD+ such as Netflix it is only outputting the sound in Stereo. However if you have a TV that support Dolby Digital Plus over ARC, then no problem, you'll get DD+ passed through the TV to your Receiver. There are very few TVs that support this currently.

With those variables in mind we have created a Word template to a allow a guy to download it and customize it to their hearts content. It allows for up to 8 devices and unlimited apps.

Before I forget, I want to be sure to mention @Rudy1 , @PJL99 and @galonzo who have provided input along the way. Lots of PM's flying back and forth behind the scenes. I even had the pleasure of a long distance call from Rudy to save our fingers one afternoon!

And hey guys, if you find that we have something that doesn't correspond with your beliefs as to how a particular device or app works, then please don't shoot the messenger (or I will have @teachsac keep you in line). Instead download a copy of the template when I make it available (probably next week) and fix it as it applies to your configuration.

Basically the only Microsoft Word skill you will require is the ability to go to the end of a line and hit the enter key to add another row so you can enter another app. Also the most complicated part might be using the Borders and Shading option to change the background color to give it a score.

The beauty of the Cheat Sheet is you would use the app coded blue for the Ultimate audio/video experience, then the one that is shaded green, and so on and so forth.

We are just waiting for the new Fire TV to be released on March 4th before we make the downloadable template public.

Here are the release notes:

Notes

1. For whatever reason the Chromecast Ultra is not sending DD+ to TVs that do not support Dolby Digital Plus over ARC otherwise in the case of the Samsung TV line-up for example, it would be converted to DD 5.1 by the TV's supported codecs and receive a minimum score of 'Good' for all of the apps listed in addition to the 'Ultimate' score it received for the YouTube app. Google is aware of this issue but has released a statement stating that the Chromecast is "intended to be plugged directly into the HDMI port of an HDTV, and the sound should be coming out through your TV's speakers. Any setups outside of this supported setup is not guaranteed to work".

2. If the Chromecast Ultra is plugged into a TV that supports Dolby Digital Plus over ARC such as the 2016 Vizio P model it will achieve the 'Ultimate' score for all of the apps listed in that column that are supported.

Scoring

Scores are based on devices being plugged into a TV or an A/V Receiver based on the way each of us has our equipment hooked up. The sample includes several devices hooked up via the TV, others hooked up to the AVR, and in the case of the UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray player, being hooked up to both via the dual HDMI Cables. Higher quality audio may be achieved with a TV that supports Dolby Digital Plus over ARC or connecting devices to an AVR that supports 4K HDR pass-through. If a device is only capable of outputting Stereo when other devices owned can provide the same quality Video with DD 5.1 or DD+ surround sound it received the minimum score.

I have not looked in a while but I did not think the Samsung player did 4K HDR with VUDU? I saw that on your sheet. Did I miss something....maybe an update? I hope so. Any info would be appreciated. I'm thinking this would be the ultimate for me, 4K HDR and Atmos streamed? I've been getting it from my LG app but no Atmos.
post #12111 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMul1 View Post
I have not looked in a while but I did not think the Samsung player did 4K HDR with VUDU? I saw that on your sheet. Did I miss something....maybe an update? I hope so. Any info would be appreciated. I'm thinking this would be the ultimate for me, 4K HDR and Atmos streamed? I've been getting it from my LG app but no Atmos.
I don't know. We don't get VUDU in Canada. Maybe somebody else can check this for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Nice. However the info on Samsung TV Smarthub and YouTube is not entirely correct. 2016 models get 4K HDR.
Just in case anyone missed the meaning of my message last night it was to demonstrate that it is possible to put together a Cheat Sheet which I have done for myself. The "sneak peak" is merely a sample which doesn't mirror mine.

I believe I said right from the get go that we knew we were never going to come up with a one-size-fits-all due to differences in our equipment and how we each have it wired up and configured as well as what apps we use or have access to. This could only be accomplished with a data driven tool that would cost a fortune to build, maintain and support to address every single scenario versus a template which would take each of us a matter of minutes to complete.

If @teachsac decides to posts the modifiable Word Template in the 'streaming area' it is a courtesy post and up to each of us to research and maintain as we see fit. No warranties or support expressed or implied. It is much quicker for each of us to check our gear and apps and populate the fields accordingly than me trying to respond to each and every post for equipment I don't necessarily own or apps that I may not get in my locale.

Thank you for your understanding.

Cheers!

post #12112 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Last I checked, the 8500 does not support UHD. Also, as of right now, VUDU only supports DV and not HDR.

S~
MarkMul1 likes this.

post #12113 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
I don't know. We don't get VUDU in Canada. Maybe somebody else can check this for you.

Just in case anyone missed the meaning of my message last night it was to demonstrate that it is possible to put together a Cheat Sheet which I have done for myself. The "sneak peak" is merely a sample which doesn't mirror mine.

I believe I said right from the get go that we knew we were never going to come up with a one-size-fits-all due to differences in our equipment and how we each have it wired up and configured as well as what apps we use or have access to. This could only be accomplished with a data driven tool that would cost a fortune to build, maintain and support to address every single scenario versus a template which would take each of us a matter of minutes to complete.

If @teachsac decides to posts the modifiable Word Template in the 'streaming area' it is a courtesy post and up to each of us to research and maintain as we see fit. No warranties or support expressed or implied. It is much quicker for each of us to check our gear and apps and populate the fields accordingly than me trying to respond to each and every post for equipment I don't necessarily own or apps that I may not get in my locale.

Thank you for your understanding.

Cheers!
OK, Thanks

Someone must of put it on that spreadsheet. Prob too good to be true. Dang
post #12114 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:

You Sir, are a glutton for punishment.
galonzo and Musician like this.

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
post #12115 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How to: UBD-K8500 to Samsung UN65JS9000

Hello! I have a setup question that Samsung tech support wasn't overly helpful with.

I have the UN65JS9000 SUHD television with SmartHub and also have a Pioneer Elite SC-65 HT receiver. The UHD player is currently attached with a single HDMI cable from port 1 (audio and video) to the Pioneer and then the Pioneer sends an HDMI out to the SmartHub. When I play UHD discs with HDR, I see a message that says something like "You are not connected to a UHD television".

My thoughts are two-fold:

1. My HDMI cables are not likely high-speed, but I order a couple that should be in tomorrow.
2. I'm thinking I should run HDMI from the UHD player directly into the SmartHub and then a second HDMI cable from port 2 on the player (audio only) to the Pioneer.

Or do I need to do that and just run from port 1 to the Pioneer as a pass-through?

Does anyone else have this player and a television with the SmartHub? How did you set yours up?
post #12116 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
You Sir, are a glutton for punishment.
I know!!! I know!!! What the heck was I thinking?

But to avoid any further confusion on my part regarding the Vudu app since we don't get it in Canada, I have 'corrected' my earlier sample by removing the row as per the attached.

It would take less than a minute for each of us to add the row back if we use that app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheat Sheet - Draft 1.13.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	2000105  
bluemoon737 and mrtickleuk like this.

Last edited by Musician; 03-01-2017 at 07:41 AM.
post #12117 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by reilley View Post
Hello! I have a setup question that Samsung tech support wasn't overly helpful with.

I have the UN65JS9000 SUHD television with SmartHub and also have a Pioneer Elite SC-65 HT receiver. The UHD player is currently attached with a single HDMI cable from port 1 (audio and video) to the Pioneer and then the Pioneer sends an HDMI out to the SmartHub. When I play UHD discs with HDR, I see a message that says something like "You are not connected to a UHD television".

My thoughts are two-fold:

1. My HDMI cables are not likely high-speed, but I order a couple that should be in tomorrow.
2. I'm thinking I should run HDMI from the UHD player directly into the SmartHub and then a second HDMI cable from port 2 on the player (audio only) to the Pioneer.

Or do I need to do that and just run from port 1 to the Pioneer as a pass-through?

Does anyone else have this player and a television with the SmartHub? How did you set yours up?
I don't own that AVR, but a little online checking indicates that it probably does not support HDCP 2.2, which is a copy protection scheme used on UHD BluRay discs. (The Elite SC-65 was new in 2012. I don't think that firmware updates have added HDCP 2.2 compatibility.)

(The UN65JS9000 does support HDCP 2.2, apparently.)

That would require that you connect HDMI 1 to the TV and HDMI 2 (audio only) to the AVR, as you post.

That's not a tragedy. It's convenient to use the full implementation of ARC, but some people have had trouble with it. (I haven't so far, with a Yamaha TSR-5810, a relatively lowly AVR but a 2016 model.)
post #12118 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
Don't twist what i said to suit your now very tiring argument, yes there was one or two promising outdoor scenes but overall the film looked dull whether on blu ray, uhd blu ray, Dolby Vision, Dynamic 10,000 Spectralux whatever...
The Director intended the film to look dull and he really succeeded.
My Wife Went to bed, I yawned all the way through it and all my work mates turned it off, it was rubbish.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the movie. We did.
jeep05, blenky and mrtickleuk like this.

-----
2016 Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49KS8000
2016 Samsung K8500 UHD BD Player x 2
2016 Samsung HW-K550/SWA-8000S 5.1
2016 Pioneer SC-LX701- AudioSource AMP100VS Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4
post #12119 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
I don't own that AVR, but a little online checking indicates that it probably does not support HDCP 2.2, which is a copy protection scheme used on UHD BluRay discs. (The Elite SC-65 was new in 2012. I don't think that firmware updates have added HDCP 2.2 compatibility.)

(The UN65JS9000 does support HDCP 2.2, apparently.)

That would require that you connect HDMI 1 to the TV and HDMI 2 (audio only) to the AVR, as you post.

That's not a tragedy. It's convenient to use the full implementation of ARC, but some people have had trouble with it. (I haven't so far, with a Yamaha TSR-5810, a relatively lowly AVR but a 2016 model.)
Outstanding - thank you so much for the quick reply! I will have the new cables tomorrow and will set up as you suggested.
post #12120 of 14194 Old 03-01-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson Laidlaw View Post
The streaming people are getting pretty good at detecting VPN's. When I first got a VPN, I could sign on to my UK BBC and Sky accounts, while at my French house with no problems. Now you have to jump through all sorts of hoops like signing on with the VPN turned off and then immediately switch it on before the streaming attempts to start. For the BBC to get iPlayer, you cannot use a standard UK Proxy IP at all, as that is detected ("transmission has no end point") and have to use a virtual UK IP address located in another country. I suspect it will only be a matter of time until the BBC block that one as well. Now that I have a UK Amazon Prime account, it will be interesting to see if that will work in France, either through the K-8500 App or via my Mac Mini Media player. The Amazon App, when I last used it on the K-8500, kept wanting to connect me to Amazon France, even though I put my UK sign on in several times and I am not connected to any French TV service but only to UK via Freesat. I suspect I may have to install the VPN at Router level but as I use one of Orange France's horrible Liveboxes, that may be difficult.

On a separate point, when I get back to France in April, should I update the Firmware for the K-8500 or not. I have an early Philips 4K TV with no HDR facility and only 4.2.2 input. It is working on 4K at the moment, so should I leave well alone on the basis of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"? I would be really t'eed off if the firmware update "broke" the connection.

Wilson
I installed OpenVPN at the router level with no luck. NetFlix gave me a warning about it and refused to work (I have a Canadian subscription), so I know they can detect it. I don't expect the Samsung Smart Hub to be nearly so clever. I'll try resetting the player back to factory default with my VPN turned on and try again, but there may be some differences in the player regional firmware between US and Canadian models. I do find it puzzling that the Amazon app would be on some Canadian Samsung TV's, but not their Canadian Blu-Ray player.

I have updated manually to firmware version 1010.1, which was issued Feb 20, without incident. It sure doesn't fix the terrible audio sync problems with NetFlix and Plex.

Update: Apparently if you can get into the Internet Service Location setup of the Smart Hub, you can change the region. There are instructions for Samsung TV's I've found, but not for this BD player.

Last edited by SloPoke23; 03-01-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
color calibration , hdr player , member , settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page