Official Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 421 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40407Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12601 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
At the moment, I currently have a Samsung K8500, Sony UPB-X800 and Panasonic DMP-UB900. I was trying to identify why certain 4K discs look bad with my setup and was trying to eliminate the player as the cause. I own the Samsung, picked up the Sony didn't see a difference then picked up the Panasonic to see what stripping HDR would look like.



With default settings, the image these three players provide look pretty identical to me. Its tough to A/B compare them of course, as it takes several minutes to swap discs in the players and get to the same scenes, etc. The Panasonic does have a ton of advanced controls for manipulating the picture that the other players do not have. After perhaps one hour of testing, I'm just fine keeping the Samsung for now. My only concern with Samsung is reliability.



If there is any suggestions you all have, let me know, I'll have all 3 players for another week or so.
This is good news to me. I've been reading in the Sony X800 thread and most people say that PQ is better than the Samsung. I was thinking of getting the Sony just because of this but if they all look identical to you then there's no point in me getting another player (at least until DV is more popular).

Thanks

Theater:JVC RS440, Elite 120". 7.1.4:RTi8, CSi5, FXiA4, RTiA3, 620-RT(4) & SVS PB12-NSD. Denon X4300H, UPA-700, Crown XLS1502 & XLS1000(2). Sony UBP-X800, Panasonic DP-UB424, Shield & ATV 4K. Lounge:Vizio M70-D3, Benq HT1075, & Elite 106". 7.1.4:RTi12, CSi5, RTiA1, TSx110, MC60(4), & RBH I-12. Marantz AV7702, Crown XLS1500, XLS1000(2) & Amp 100v2(2). Samsung UBD-K8500, LG BP440, Shield & ATV
shyyour is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12602 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobbino421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,023
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyyour View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
At the moment, I currently have a Samsung K8500, Sony UPB-X800 and Panasonic DMP-UB900. I was trying to identify why certain 4K discs look bad with my setup and was trying to eliminate the player as the cause. I own the Samsung, picked up the Sony didn't see a difference then picked up the Panasonic to see what stripping HDR would look like.



With default settings, the image these three players provide look pretty identical to me. Its tough to A/B compare them of course, as it takes several minutes to swap discs in the players and get to the same scenes, etc. The Panasonic does have a ton of advanced controls for manipulating the picture that the other players do not have. After perhaps one hour of testing, I'm just fine keeping the Samsung for now. My only concern with Samsung is reliability.



If there is any suggestions you all have, let me know, I'll have all 3 players for another week or so.
This is good news to me. I've been reading in the Sony X800 thread and most people say that PQ is better than the Samsung. I was thinking of getting the Sony just because of this but if they all look identical to you then there's no point in me getting another player (at least until DV is more popular).

Thanks
I had all 3 players too. I currently have the Sony I think the Sony and Panasonic are way superior all around players than the Samsung. Sony is just a lil bit more money than the Samsung and worth the extra $$$. PQ is close with every machine on the market so to the casual eye they all gonna look the same but in my opinion the Sony and Panasonic are the same in PQ with the Samsung falling slightly behind. Samsung lacks the Picture settings the Sony and Panasonic feature!
bobbino421 is offline  
post #12603 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyyour View Post
This is good news to me. I've been reading in the Sony X800 thread and most people say that PQ is better than the Samsung. I was thinking of getting the Sony just because of this but if they all look identical to you then there's no point in me getting another player (at least until DV is more popular).
I'm sure people can see a difference. Just as people will swear up and down there is a PQ difference between a PS3 and stand-alone players.

Honestly though, current Best Buy new prices are $230 for Sammy and $300 for Sony. I'd pay the extra $70 for Sony reliability alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
I had all 3 players too. I currently have the Sony I think the Sony and Panasonic are way superior all around players than the Samsung. Sony is just a lil bit more money than the Samsung and worth the extra $$$. PQ is close with every machine on the market so to the casual eye they all gonna look the same but in my opinion the Sony and Panasonic are the same in PQ with the Samsung falling slightly behind. Samsung lacks the Picture settings the Sony and Panasonic feature!
No doubt about it. The Panasonic has a TON of PQ controls. The HDR slider alone is pretty incredible. With default settings though, they all looked pretty identical to me. (Panasonic allowing for the most image manipulation, of course).

Last edited by Dreamliner; 05-22-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Dreamliner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12604 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,431
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 9775
basshead81 is offline  
post #12605 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,431
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 9775
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
here is the 1010 Firmware
22 downloads so far and not 1 Thanks....smh
basshead81 is offline  
post #12606 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Dreamliner is offline  
post #12607 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 03:54 PM
Member
 
wrkh99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
would I see an improvement in PQ over an XBOX One S ?

Last edited by teachsac; 05-22-2017 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Price Talk
wrkh99 is offline  
post #12608 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkh99 View Post
would I see an improvement in PQ over an XBOX One S ?

I think PQ is similar but I haven't heard from any XBOX owners in awhile so don't quote me on that.

If you have something that plays UHD now, it might make more sense to wait for a player that supports Dolby Vision.
Dreamliner is offline  
post #12609 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 14,701
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 2126
Posts edited. No price talk.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
teachsac is offline  
post #12610 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 04:11 PM
Member
 
wrkh99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I think PQ is similar but I haven't heard from any XBOX owners in awhile so don't quote me on that.

If you have something that plays UHD now, it might make more sense to wait for a player that supports Dolby Vision.
I do not have a player now that supports UHD and don't think that I can wait for one that supports dolby vision. I am trying to figure out the best option and both are very close in price give or take $100
wrkh99 is offline  
post #12611 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkh99 View Post
I do not have a player now that supports UHD and don't think that I can wait for one that supports dolby vision. I am trying to figure out the best option and both are very close in price give or take $100
Oh. Well if you play XBOX games, that would be worth giving up a minuscule amount of PQ anyway.

Truth be told, it's probably identical. I've got the Samsung, Sony and Panasonic players here right now and with default settings they look identical (Yes I know the Panasonic has lots of PQ adjustments that other players don't, but default looks identical).

Hopefully an XBOX owner will chime in...
Musician and ralarcon1 like this.
Dreamliner is offline  
post #12612 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
poppagene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 1,546
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrkh99 View Post
I do not have a player now that supports UHD and don't think that I can wait for one that supports dolby vision. I am trying to figure out the best option and both are very close in price give or take $100
If you just want UHD HDR video support go with this player. The user interface for playing videos and streaming videos is way better than with xbox one s. Also some in this thread have complained about the Samsung included remote, but they clearly are not comparing to the clunkiness of using an Xbox remote or game controller.

However, if you want xbox gaming and youtube hdr and skype video calling (with the addition of the kinect) go with the Xbox one s.

I've got 3 UHD TVs and 2 have K8500 attached and the third has an Xbox one s.
jeep05, galonzo and Musician like this.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
poppagene is offline  
post #12613 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sal1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central FL
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
22 downloads so far and not 1 Thanks....smh
I know how that feels, worked on linux tech forums for years. Don't you just love it when you reach out and help folks online and they don't have the common courtesy to thank you?

Thanks @Basshead for being one of the good guys.
And I didn't even download your file, though I may.
jeep05, galonzo and basshead81 like this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Sal1950 is offline  
post #12614 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Sal1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central FL
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I'm sure people can see a difference. Just as people will swear up and down there is a PQ difference between a PS3 and stand-alone players.
Not to mention $3k+ a meter HDMI cables, they'll lift tons of veils from you video PQ
Dreamliner likes this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Sal1950 is offline  
post #12615 of 14261 Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,220
Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3189
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
22 downloads so far and not 1 Thanks....smh
I post my calibration settings, with only one or two thanks.

Changed how I posted, to being an attachment. Now I see how many people read, and possibly use my settings. Good enough for me.
Hopefully, the calibration settings let them get to enjoy the PQ I get on my set as much as I do.
Remember, it's better to give, than receive.
Terminader likes this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #12616 of 14261 Old 05-23-2017, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
I post my calibration settings, with only one or two thanks.



Changed how I posted, to being an attachment. Now I see how many people read, and possibly use my settings. Good enough for me.

Hopefully, the calibration settings let them get to enjoy the PQ I get on my set as much as I do.

Remember, it's better to give, than receive.
What calibration settings? For your TV or the K8500? If it's the latter, where is that at?
Dreamliner is offline  
post #12617 of 14261 Old 05-23-2017, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,220
Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
What calibration settings? For your TV or the K8500? If it's the latter, where is that at?
Several Samsung TVs I own. (Listed at bottom of my postings)

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #12618 of 14261 Old 05-23-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
galonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: most usually, somewhere in the midwest...
Posts: 2,239
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
I didn't need it either, but like given anyway, for the show of support @basshead81

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | Shield | PS4 Pro
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hustlers and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
galonzo is offline  
post #12619 of 14261 Old 05-23-2017, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,352
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Anyone seen this problem.

Today, I tried to play Lucy 4K disc, which I have played many times before, and the K8500 player started to load the movie then it gave an error message that it could not read the disc ( a large error message, stating that plus added tips that disc my be dirty, with a confirmation OK appeared in middle of screen.) I took the disc out, wiped it with cotton cloth, and inserted it again. Same error message. I then try another 4k disc, Deedpool. Same thing. I then turned off the player and turned it back on. Both 4K discs work.

I just did the manual download, from someone saved file, of the 1010 firmware update. Not sure if that caused it but this is the first time I have tried any discs since doing the update.

Also, something else I had never done before. I watched a regular,non-4k, blu-ray disc right before trying the 4K Lucy disc. I had never watched a regular disc with back-to-back watching of a 4K disc in same session without the player being turned off. Also, I think I just ejected it versus stopping it first. After getting the 4K discs to working, powering the player off then on, I tried the same regular blu-ray disc. It worked. I then stopped it, then ejected it to test the 4K discs and they both worked.

Anyone seen a problem like this? Related to 1010 firmware (maybe that is why Samsung pulled that update)?
tomcrown1 likes this.
checker9 is offline  
post #12620 of 14261 Old 05-23-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,220
Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3189
When cleaning discs, spray with glass cleaner, then wipe dry with soft cloth, or toilet tissue, from the inside to the outside. DO NOT dry in circles!

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #12621 of 14261 Old 05-23-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,352
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
At the moment, I currently have a Samsung K8500, Sony UPB-X800 and Panasonic DMP-UB900. I was trying to identify why certain 4K discs look bad with my setup and was trying to eliminate the player as the cause. I own the Samsung, picked up the Sony didn't see a difference then picked up the Panasonic to see what stripping HDR would look like.



With default settings, the image these three players provide look pretty identical to me. Its tough to A/B compare them of course, as it takes several minutes to swap discs in the players and get to the same scenes, etc. The Panasonic does have a ton of advanced controls for manipulating the picture that the other players do not have. After perhaps one hour of testing, I'm just fine keeping the Samsung for now. My only concern with Samsung is reliability.



If there is any suggestions you all have, let me know, I'll have all 3 players for another week or so.
I would think sound through an AVR would be same on all of them, but some reviews are stating that the Sony and Panasonic have better sound than the Samsung player (seems digital would be digital.)

With your Atmos set-up, could you tell a difference in sound between the three in movies?
checker9 is offline  
post #12622 of 14261 Old 05-23-2017, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I would think sound through an AVR would be same on all of them, but some reviews are stating that the Sony and Panasonic have better sound than the Samsung player (seems digital would be digital.)

With your Atmos set-up, could you tell a difference in sound between the three in movies?
Definitely not. Digital is digital and the Blu-ray players do not do anything with the signal other than pass it to the receiver for decoding.
jeep05 likes this.
Dreamliner is offline  
post #12623 of 14261 Old 05-23-2017, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NorthJersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 3,506
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
22 downloads so far and not 1 Thanks....smh
other than netflix HDR, what other advantage is there for upgrading to this fw version?
NorthJersey is offline  
post #12624 of 14261 Old 05-23-2017, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
p5browne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 10,220
Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3189
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
other than netflix HDR, what other advantage is there for upgrading to this fw version?
Boasting rights!
Rudy1, poppagene, jeep05 and 4 others like this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
p5browne is offline  
post #12625 of 14261 Old 05-23-2017, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,551
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5230 Post(s)
Liked: 7566
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
22 downloads so far and not 1 Thanks....smh
It was posted earlier in the thread more than once, so I think the people downloading it from your link will be the very same people who can't even be bothered to do a search on the thread to find the earlier link. A self-selecting sample of selfish readers, I'm afraid so probably explains why they are the sort of person who can't even be bothered to click the mouse over the word "like"

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #12626 of 14261 Old 05-24-2017, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sal1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central FL
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I would think sound through an AVR would be same on all of them, but some reviews are stating that the Sony and Panasonic have better sound than the Samsung player (seems digital would be digital.)

With your Atmos set-up, could you tell a difference in sound between the three in movies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Definitely not. Digital is digital and the Blu-ray players do not do anything with the signal other than pass it to the receiver for decoding.
That might depend on how you have your player configured.

If you have yours set to output Bitstream-(Unprocessed) then yes, all the format decoding is done at the AVR and all three players should sound the same.

If you have it set to output PCM over HDMI, then the decoding of the different audio formats is done by the players and all bets are off on how each might sound compared to each other.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
Sal1950 is offline  
post #12627 of 14261 Old 05-24-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mrtickleuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Birmingham, UK - you know, the original one!
Posts: 7,551
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5230 Post(s)
Liked: 7566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
That might depend on how you have your player configured.

If you have yours set to output Bitstream-(Unprocessed) then yes, all the format decoding is done at the AVR and all three players should sound the same.
Given that Atmos and DTS:X require you you use Bitstream, it's a pretty safe bet that that will be the case.
jeep05 likes this.

_______________
Denon AVR-X4200W, Arcam Alpha 8P; 5.1.4 setup: Mission 702e, M7C1i, 77DS, 731. Rel T5 Sub. Monitor Audio CT165 4 Tops | LG OLED55C8PLA TV | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-Ray

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
mrtickleuk is offline  
post #12628 of 14261 Old 05-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Member
 
braves_fan3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Anyone seen this problem.

Today, I tried to play Lucy 4K disc, which I have played many times before, and the K8500 player started to load the movie then it gave an error message that it could not read the disc ( a large error message, stating that plus added tips that disc my be dirty, with a confirmation OK appeared in middle of screen.) I took the disc out, wiped it with cotton cloth, and inserted it again. Same error message. I then try another 4k disc, Deedpool. Same thing. I then turned off the player and turned it back on. Both 4K discs work.

I just did the manual download, from someone saved file, of the 1010 firmware update. Not sure if that caused it but this is the first time I have tried any discs since doing the update.

Also, something else I had never done before. I watched a regular,non-4k, blu-ray disc right before trying the 4K Lucy disc. I had never watched a regular disc with back-to-back watching of a 4K disc in same session without the player being turned off. Also, I think I just ejected it versus stopping it first. After getting the 4K discs to working, powering the player off then on, I tried the same regular blu-ray disc. It worked. I then stopped it, then ejected it to test the 4K discs and they both worked.

Anyone seen a problem like this? Related to 1010 firmware (maybe that is why Samsung pulled that update)?
I was trying to play a regular Blu Ray last night and couldn't get any sound out of HDMI2 that goes to my AVR. I decided to check some other Blu Rays and got the same message as you. I also tried a couple of 4K discs that I've played before and got the message.

I am also on the 1010 firmware.

Anyone else encountering this problem? Is there any way to revert to the previous firmware to test it out?
braves_fan3 is offline  
post #12629 of 14261 Old 05-24-2017, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,352
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_fan3 View Post
I was trying to play a regular Blu Ray last night and couldn't get any sound out of HDMI2 that goes to my AVR. I decided to check some other Blu Rays and got the same message as you. I also tried a couple of 4K discs that I've played before and got the message.

I am also on the 1010 firmware.

Anyone else encountering this problem? Is there any way to revert to the previous firmware to test it out?
Thanks for confirming. I tried to reproduce the problem but can not reproduce it now - even using the same movies that caused it yesterday. I even tried to stopping then ejecting the regular blu-ray then immediately trying the 4K movie and also I tried stopping the blu-ray then ejecting it before trying the 4K movie. I also tried different 4K movies. All worked now.

So I am not sure what triggers it. When it happened, I was checking for lip-sync issues (I was testing because on a different forum, some posters stated that the 1010 update caused lip-sync issues), so I was fast forwarding through chapters and scenes looking for dialog scenes. Perhaps that activity trigger it but again, I can not reproduce the problem now, so not way to test.
checker9 is offline  
post #12630 of 14261 Old 05-24-2017, 05:39 PM
Member
 
braves_fan3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Thanks for confirming. I tried to reproduce the problem but can not reproduce it now - even using the same movies that caused it yesterday. I even tried to stopping then ejecting the regular blu-ray then immediately trying the 4K movie and also I tried stopping the blu-ray then ejecting it before trying the 4K movie. I also tried different 4K movies. All worked now.

So I am not sure what triggers it. When it happened, I was checking for lip-sync issues (I was testing because on a different forum, some posters stated that the 1010 update caused lip-sync issues), so I was fast forwarding through chapters and scenes looking for dialog scenes. Perhaps that activity trigger it but again, I can not reproduce the problem now, so not way to test.
I did a hard reset on my player. It reverted to firmware 1009 and now everything is working again.
braves_fan3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
color calibration , hdr player , member , settings

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off