Official Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 424 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40407Likes

post #12691 of 14261 Old 06-03-2017, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am in the market for a new Blu-Ray player to replace a 5 year old Sony and was looking at this model at Costco. I do not have a 4k tv and was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to the Samsung or just go with a less expensive model.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 14261 Old 06-03-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankVP View Post
I am in the market for a new Blu-Ray player to replace a 5 year old Sony and was looking at this model at Costco. I do not have a 4k tv and was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to the Samsung or just go with a less expensive model.
It depends on how you feel about Samsung reliability.

I'd suggest getting a Sony 6500 or 6700 and picking up a 4K player when you actually get a 4K tv. Or you could always get the Sony X800 now.
post #12693 of 14261 Old 06-03-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
It depends on how you feel about Samsung reliability.

I'd suggest getting a Sony 6500 or 6700 and picking up a 4K player when you actually get a 4K tv. Or you could always get the Sony X800 now.
Not really that familiar with Samsung products. Our TV is a Sharp Aquos connected to a Yamaha YSP-5600 Soundbar and a Martin Logan Dynamo 700 sub. Our current BluRay is a Sony BDP-S590 that has not been too reliable lately so after 5 years I thought it was time for an upgrade. Since a new TV is not in the plans for a while I will give the Sony 6500 and 6700 a look. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12694 of 14261 Old 06-04-2017, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

On the UBD-K8500:

Settings > Picture > TV Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Original
BD Wise: OFF
Resolution: Auto
Movie Frame (24Fs): Auto
DVD 24Fs Conversion: Auto
Fit Screen Size: Size 4 ( Your choice ) (Only applies to screen mirroring and Smarthub)
HDMI Color Format: Auto
HDMI Deep Color: Off

Preference setting:
Standard Mode, or while a movie is playing hit the Tools button and select user picture mode and set everything to mid point (zeroes).
I don't have the original remote. I use a Harmony Elite. Running firmware 1010.
I can't seem to get to picture mode. When I play a movie and hit Tools (at least the Harmony database version) I get a pop up that lets me Select Scene, change subtitles, change audio, etc.
Nothing gets me to a picture mode. I am using BD Wise since I have a 2015 Samsung 65JS8500.
post #12695 of 14261 Old 06-04-2017, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 5230 Post(s)
Liked: 7566
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrana View Post
I don't have the original remote. I use a Harmony Elite. Running firmware 1010.
I can't seem to get to picture mode. When I play a movie and hit Tools (at least the Harmony database version) I get a pop up that lets me Select Scene, change subtitles, change audio, etc.
Nothing gets me to a picture mode. I am using BD Wise since I have a 2015 Samsung 65JS8500.
That's probably why. BD Wise effectively means "take all control away from me, and let the TV / player decide".

Try turning BDWise OFF because it's in the list, see:

Quote:
On the UBD-K8500:

Fit Screen Size: Size 4 ( Your choice ) (Only applies to screen mirroring and Smarthub)
Rudy1, joe221, jeep05 and 2 others like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12696 of 14261 Old 06-04-2017, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
That's probably why. BD Wise effectively means "take all control away from me, and let the TV / player decide".

Try turning BDWise OFF because it's in the list, see:
Thanks, that was it. I have disabled BD Wise and can now set the picture mode!
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #12697 of 14261 Old 06-04-2017, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
The player isn't that big. This sounds extreme but it might be easier to take the player there, if they'll let you test discs? Do other discs work ok for you?
Yea, the player plays other discs. Houston must have been targeted to dump some bad discs.

I did bring the player, but they also had an open box 8500 that did the same thing, so I was pretty sure the player wasn't an issue (but that small voice in the back of my brain kept injecting a ounce of doubt).

Anyhow, it finally ended well

side topic that I feel compelled to share: While I was there,I did a good deed. I overheard an uninformed consumer needing a cable for his new receiver. The sales guy went over to the AV receivers and tried to help. Turns out his new TV needed a cable (hdmi) from the DTV 'receiver' .... the sales guy smelling blood, pointed him to a $130 hdmi cable. His wife was having second thoughts. I pulled them aside when he was on the way to checkout and told them that was overkill and that they can find a perfectly good cable for $5 if thy look about online. Perhaps $8-10 at walmart. His wife profusely thanked me. He was thankful, but confused, which I tried to clear up. People need to educate themselves before they spend $. Not just on AV stuff .. anything.

Anyhow back to the topic: I'll be keeping an eye out for Mad Max to come on sale, as they are proud of the movie ($). Hopefully I don't have to go through the same ordeal.
joe221, Terminader and mrtickleuk like this.
post #12698 of 14261 Old 06-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankVP View Post
Do you need a new BD player? If yours is still working there's nothing to gain if you don't have a 4K TV.
If you do need one I wouldn't spend a much more for a 4K player now as newer tweaks like Dolby Vision HDR and others are here or just around the corner and may be desirable options when you then do get that new TV?
Hard to throw you a solid answer here.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #12699 of 14261 Old 06-04-2017, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Help!! I think I got a lemon. Purchased from Fry's online. Item was shipped in original box with no other protection. No apparent damage from box when received. Went through with the setup. I have six 4K titles and hundreds of regular blu-ray. The player does not read any disc. Got error message that reads "ensure the playback side is not damaged and wipe disc with a soft cloth. Refer to user manual to check supported disc format. Resetting player did not help. Went through setup again with no results and even went through unplugging routine did not help either. Am I missing anything?
Any advice?
post #12700 of 14261 Old 06-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tienvg View Post
Help!! I think I got a lemon. Purchased from Fry's online. Item was shipped in original box with no other protection. No apparent damage from box when received. Went through with the setup. I have six 4K titles and hundreds of regular blu-ray. The player does not read any disc. Got error message that reads "ensure the playback side is not damaged and wipe disc with a soft cloth. Refer to user manual to check supported disc format. Resetting player did not help. Went through setup again with no results and even went through unplugging routine did not help either. Am I missing anything?
Any advice?
The drive may have been banged out of alignment or something. I suspect it is bad also.
joe221 likes this.
post #12701 of 14261 Old 06-04-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1950 View Post
Do you need a new BD player? If yours is still working there's nothing to gain if you don't have a 4K TV.
If you do need one I wouldn't spend a much more for a 4K player now as newer tweaks like Dolby Vision HDR and others are here or just around the corner and may be desirable options when you then do get that new TV?
Hard to throw you a solid answer here.
I do not foresee getting a 4k tv anytime soon so I understand that this player would be more than I need or can use at this time. My current player does still work though it does freeze up on occasion regardless of whether it is a blu ray or just a dvd.

I think I will just continue to use it till it dies and than just get an inexpensive blu ray to use until we do upgrade our tv.

post #12702 of 14261 Old 06-04-2017, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgr View Post
The drive may have been banged out of alignment or something. I suspect it is bad also.
Thanks..that's what I think also.
post #12703 of 14261 Old 06-04-2017, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to bernievink
Hi Folks I am new here as the forum I have used for years is closing (DTV forum)
I have owned a UBD-K8500 since January and it has been pretty good so far apart from a few 4K UHD movies it has difficulty playing properly.
When the problem that these movies have is in existence, the picture becomes very choppy and sound disappears completely.
I own 50 plus 4K UHD movies and only about 4 of them have this behavior.

The movies I have problems with are, The mummy, the mummy tomb of dragon emperor, Storks, and Sully.

The complete set of 5 Bourne movies do not give any problems with my player, nor do the 4 Harry Potter movies, nor do the 2 Smurfs movies.
independence day 1 & 2, huntsman 1 & 2, iron man set of 3 and start trek set of 3, and X-men set of 3 do not give any problems with my player.
Angels & demons, battleship, the Davinci code, deepwater horizon, Inferno, Lego movie, Lucy, man of steel, Oblivion, I am Legend, Pacific rim, Salt, and some 5 documentary movies do not give any problems with my player.
The firmware in the player is version 1010.1
I have tried changing the HDMI from pass through in my receiver to separate feeds for video and sound. the HDMI cables are certified HDMI 2.0b the TV is a Samsung UA60KU6000 and the receiver is a Sony STR#dh770.
I do not seem to be able to play theses 4 movies without problems.
Any suggestions ?
post #12704 of 14261 Old 06-04-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:

On the UBD-K8500:

Preference setting:
Standard Mode, or while a movie is playing hit the Tools button and select user picture mode and set everything to mid point (zeroes).
Further to my above post all settings in my player are as per Rudy1, and sound settings in are Bit stream Unprocessed, PCM down-sampling Off, Dynamic range control off, down-mixing surround compatible.
In both the TV and player any net is turned off, and in the receiver HDMI control is set to off.
I will try to press tools next time I try one of the four problem movies
post #12705 of 14261 Old 06-05-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 1966 Post(s)
Liked: 3272
bernievink,

Welcome to the AVSF! I just watched a rental copy of "Mummy - Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" last week, and I did not experience any issues playing it on either the UBD-K8500 or the UBD-M9500. I know the standard recommendation when disc playback occurs is to tell the affected person to make sure the disc is clean, etc., but the quality control on the manufacturing of UHD discs seems to be somewhat lacking. And the players in general appear to not be able to compensate adequately for even the most slight imperfections in a disc...I've seen this even with the LG and Sony units. Some posters have had to exchange a title several times before they found one that will actually work in a player.
Musician and Axememan like this.

Definition of "Stupid": Knowing the truth, seeing the truth, but still believing the lies.
post #12706 of 14261 Old 06-05-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernievink View Post
Further to my above post all settings in my player are as per Rudy1, and sound settings in are Bit stream Unprocessed, PCM down-sampling Off, Dynamic range control off, down-mixing surround compatible.
In both the TV and player any net is turned off, and in the receiver HDMI control is set to off.
I will try to press tools next time I try one of the four problem movies
Rub the outside edges of the BD with a white eraser to smooth down any roughness.
Spray with glass cleaner, and dry with soft tissue, from the inside hole, to the outside. DO NOT DRY in circles! This will remove any oil that may be contaminating the disc. Usually if a disc starts acting up, I immediately eject it and take the glass cleaner to it. So far, has worked every time, and of all the several thousand discs I have, NOT one has ever had to be returned!

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #12707 of 14261 Old 06-05-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
bernievink,

Welcome to the AVSF! I just watched a rental copy of "Mummy - Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" last week, and I did not experience any issues playing it on either the UBD-K8500 or the UBD-M9500. I know the standard recommendation when disc playback occurs is to tell the affected person to make sure the disc is clean, etc., but the quality control on the manufacturing of UHD discs seems to be somewhat lacking. And the players in general appear to not be able to compensate adequately for even the most slight imperfections in a disc...I've seen this even with the LG and Sony units. Some posters have had to exchange a title several times before they found one that will actually work in a player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
Rub the outside edges of the BD with a white eraser to smooth down any roughness.
Spray with glass cleaner, and dry with soft tissue, from the inside hole, to the outside. DO NOT DRY in circles! This will remove any oil that may be contaminating the disc. Usually if a disc starts acting up, I immediately eject it and take the glass cleaner to it. So far, has worked every time, and of all the several thousand discs I have, NOT one has ever had to be returned!
Thanks for the Tips guys, I will try them both.
Having a look at the surface of the affected discs they seem pristine, even under a magnifying glass. no sign of oil or scratches.
the problem seems to be the player cant cope with the high rate of data, but that might just be a guess.
post #12708 of 14261 Old 06-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
22 downloads so far and not 1 Thanks....smh
Been waiting for Sansung to offer the offical download again but that hasn't been forthcoming. Decided to grab your file for possible future use.
Thank you very much.
Musician and mrtickleuk like this.

Sony XBR75-X940D, Sony UBP-X800M2 UHD-BD, Xfinity X1 Voice DVR, Marantz AV-7703 Pre/Pro w/Auro, (3) Adcom GFA-545II amps, (2) Adcom GFA-535II amps for ATMOS speakers.
HSU Research 5.2 speaker system (4) HB-1 MK2, (1) HC-1 MK2, (2) STF-2,
Klipsch HT500 satellites (4) for ceiling mounted ATMOS playback
DIY Linux desktop w/Strawberry bit perfect media center. Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC
post #12709 of 14261 Old 06-07-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 4019 Post(s)
Liked: 3189
FW 1011.4 now on Korean Site

http://www.samsung.com/sec/support/model/UBD-K8500/KR/

BUT, will it wipe out the gains from 1010 ?

Canadian Site:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mo...0/ZC#downloads

USA Site:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...ayer-ubd-k8500
dlbsyst, poppagene and galonzo like this.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)

Last edited by p5browne; 06-07-2017 at 10:36 AM.
post #12710 of 14261 Old 06-07-2017, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
UK also

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UBD-K8500/XU

Anyone tried it?

Samsung UE55KS8000 | Pioneer SC-LX701 | Dune HD Pro 4K | Zidoo Z9S | Apple TV 4K | Nvidia Shield TV (2019) | Fire TV Stick 4K | Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Player
post #12711 of 14261 Old 06-07-2017, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 768
1011 available OTA on both of my players. Installing it now.
MALICIOUS ONE and Musician like this.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
post #12712 of 14261 Old 06-07-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky View Post
Great, thanks. I will. Can't wait for the "improved browser performance"

Installing now.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #12713 of 14261 Old 06-07-2017, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 1406 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
1011 available OTA on both of my players. Installing it now.
Be sure to let us know if you lose HDR for Netflix or not

Main: UN78HU9000/SEK-3500 | X4500H (5.1.4) | UDP-203 | TiVo Bolt | Shield | PS4 Pro
2nd: UN65JS9500 | LG LAS855M | UBD-K8500 | Chromecast Ultra | TiVo Mini | Roku P+
3rd: 65P-F1 | Klipsch HDT-SB3 | UBP-X700 | Tivo Roamio | AppleTV4K
FS - Hustlers and other UHD Digital codes (and some HD codes)
post #12714 of 14261 Old 06-07-2017, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by galonzo View Post
Be sure to let us know if you lose HDR for Netflix or not
FWIW Netflix HDR content still streams as HDR through this player.

UN48JS8500 UN55HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UN40HU6950 w/SEK-3500U UBD-K8500 UN37C5000
post #12715 of 14261 Old 06-07-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I can confirm that Netflix HDR streams for me as well on the 1011 update. No issues here.
MALICIOUS ONE and galonzo like this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
post #12716 of 14261 Old 06-07-2017, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Anyone found the change log for 1011?

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
post #12717 of 14261 Old 06-07-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
Anyone found the change log for 1011?
It doesn't exist to be found. Samsung refuse to create one for public consumption. Same with every firmware update.

You would have to be a Samsung engineer who worked on the code to have certain knowledge of what was changed. Outside of that, no chance. We all have to try things and guess.

post #12718 of 14261 Old 06-07-2017, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It doesn't exist to be found. Samsung refuse to create one for public consumption. Same with every firmware update.

You would have to be a Samsung engineer who worked on the code to have certain knowledge of what was changed. Outside of that, no chance. We all have to try things and guess.
That's what I figured. They suck at producing change logs. The change logs for their TV's never change except for the date on it.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
post #12719 of 14261 Old 06-07-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just upgraded from 1009 to 1011 through online setting update with no problems. And now I have a Netflix with HDR.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED

Last edited by Daryl L; 06-07-2017 at 04:03 PM.
post #12720 of 14261 Old 06-07-2017, 03:41 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9549 Post(s)
Liked: 6232
Quote:
I've never used glass cleaner. Since 1985, with CDs, I've always used soap and warm water to clean any optical discs. It's always worked great. You just need to dry with a lint free cloth. Never had any issues drying in any direction. Whether circles or anything else. It has never caused me any issues on the times I've cleaned CDs, DVDs, BDs, and the one UHD BD I cleaned.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
color calibration , hdr player , member , settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page