Official Samsung UBD-K8500 4K HDR Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player Owner's Thread - Page 474 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40335Likes

post #14191 of 14194 Old 06-06-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrox View Post
I do have the TV connected to the receiver, I use ARC for watching cable and streaming on the TV apps. For the BD player I have it connected to the TV for video and the receiver for audio. I'm saying if I switch it to only output from HDMI 1 on the player then it will use ARC for audio.

I could try switching it to PCM, but will that mess anything up when i watch blus? I read before that if you want Dolby Atmos you have to use bitstream unprocessed.
I misunderstood since you said that you have HDMI-1 connected to the TV and -2 to the AVR which is a common way of dealing with an AVR that does not do 4k. Is that you case? If it is not and your AVR processes and or passes-trough 4k (and HDR etc.) then you should have all yours sources connected single HDMI to the AVR and the AVR monitor out to your TV. I have my TV connected both to a switch on its only fully 4k capable input and have the AVR connected to another input. Might be similar to your set up. I kinda think your AVR is not 4k or maybe not HDR capable and that is why you have the video going direct to the TV. Some ARC is capable on DD+/Atmos and both your AVR and TV has to support it and it also happens to be one of the hardest things to get working correctly at least for equipment a few years old. I still suspect that much of your issue is due to the bug that some of us have ran into. As your AVR processes Atmos I should think it would be 4k w/HDR also??? Maybe you are connecting the player to the TV so you don't have to have the AVR on all the time??? In that case you may need to look for a setting in the AVR that keeps HDMI pass-thru on when it is switched off (Denon called this HDMI standby on in some olden AVRs like mine, however rather than using a tiny bit of power in standby it uses 60-80 watts 24/7 when switched to SB mode).

I hope I am understanding your setup. And yes using PCM might mess things up but I do know that there is equipment out there that can derive Atmos from 7.1 LPCM stream. Remember anything above 7.1 channels in ANY current format is matrix encoded and decoded and in the case of DD+/Atmos derived from streaming in any form is 100% lossy (not to say you loose anything but nothing is lossless with streaming would take too much bandwidth). Same goes for anything that is ARC and I think you already understand that. ARC is also 100% lossy except for in the case of some 2-channel formats like PCM.

Let me know more about your AVR and capabilities and I can guide you a bit more. Life with all these new techs and equipment from various years can get interesting. I still run my old Denon since I don't see a reason to upgrade though there are a few things I wish my set-up could do but I've found perfectly workable solutions that are the same quality. I used to cast content from my laptop to the TV then use ARC from TV to the Oppo but the Oppo does not do DD+. Recently I found that my Oppo is fully DNLA/UPnP capable and I am able to use the Divix player 10 to cast full 4k HDR with lossless auto to it and have my cake and eat it too and it is 100% free where my favorite casting apps either cost $ or were subscription. I'm frankly embarrassed that I've had the Oppos for over a year and did not know this. I was considering an AVR upgrade to get around this since DD+ on ARC and Dolby Vision "magic" from the Oppo input is unlikely (yes the Oppo converts any progressive optical disc to Dolby Vision. Not perfect but helps with brightness and color clarity for my sight impaired son). Anyhow not until I add, if ever, more than 7.1 would I consider an upgrade at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14192 of 14194 Old 07-02-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Did HULU drop support for Samsung Players?

This evening I checked into my HULU app and a message popped up stating HULU is no longer supported on Samsung UBD K8500. Anyone know what is going on? I just paid my bill for the month.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #14193 of 14194 Old 07-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Did HULU drop support for Samsung Players?

This evening I checked into my HULU app and a message popped up stating HULU is no longer supported on Samsung UBD K8500. Anyone know what is going on? I just paid my bill for the month.
Yep, for some players.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/corr...u-ray-players/
galonzo and Musician like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14194 of 14194 Old 07-02-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I checked into Hulu and discovered this is not a Samsung problem. Hulu has decided to remove access to many devices, Blu Ray Players and TV's that use the Classic app. We last watched Hulu on Sunday. Now it's gone. Another poster in the HULU forum said they were told by Hulu to buy a new TV. That's insane. Guess I will be cancelling. I hope Netflix or Amazon never does business like that.

Thanks Kemac for the link with more information. I see Vizio TV's are also losing the Hulu access. I think the company is suicidal. I will be putting in a fraud complaint with my credit card company for them billing me and then clawing back what I bought.

My 3D and 360VR videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR S940, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite:Adobe Premiere, Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director16, i9-7980XE/GTX1080Ti, LG 3D TV DM2752

Last edited by Don Landis; 07-02-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
color calibration , hdr player , member , settings

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page