Sony S1700 / S3700 /S6700 Blu-ray players - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 94Likes

post #541 of 568 Old 05-01-2020, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Sony's don't allow streaming and also USB playing of MKV format TrueHD audio files... but as you have found out, the regular Dolby Digital AC-3 or Dolby digital plus versions you can play. In some cases though, downloads will have both the TrueHD and the Digital Plus versions in them, so you may want to try and hit the Audio button on your Sony remote on those silent demo files to see if you can toggle to an alternate soundtrack.... if there is one included. For what it's worth, the Digital Plus versions of the Atmos demos will still sound pretty awesome. But, if you really want to play those lossless MKV files through the Sony, you will need to convert them to M2TS files..I believe they will play in that format.
Thank you!! I messed around yesterday with it for few hours and was not able to get them work in lossless MKV. So gave up and left them in Dolby Digital. Just like you said, they sound pretty good but I would have liked to have had them in the original MKV format I guess I will try at some other time again...

Home Theatre: Marantz SR7012 | Emotiva BassX A-300 | Ascend CMT-340 SE Front L/C/R | Klipsch R-14S Surround Side L/R | Klipsch R-41M Surround Rear L/R | Klipsch CDT-3650-C ii Atmos | Dual Monolith 12 Subwoofers | Sony BDP-S6700 | Minix NEO U9-H |

Music: Denon AVR-S910W | Klipsch RP8000F | Klipsch R-112SW Subwoofer |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 568 Old 05-01-2020, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Sony's don't allow streaming and also USB playing of MKV format TrueHD audio files... but as you have found out, the regular Dolby Digital AC-3 or Dolby digital plus versions you can play. In some cases though, downloads will have both the TrueHD and the Digital Plus versions in them, so you may want to try and hit the Audio button on your Sony remote on those silent demo files to see if you can toggle to an alternate soundtrack.... if there is one included. For what it's worth, the Digital Plus versions of the Atmos demos will still sound pretty awesome. But, if you really want to play those lossless MKV files through the Sony, you will need to convert them to M2TS files..I believe they will play in that format.
I don't think Dolby Digital Plus works either with the MKV container unless a recent firmware update added support for it, according to the manual it's unsupported, are you able to confirm with a screenshot?
post #543 of 568 Old 05-01-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 389
No...I was just operating on info from the OP that only lossless wasnt working for him...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 568 Old 05-09-2020, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Unhappy S6700 losing Netflix credentials

My BDP-S6700 is periodically losing my Netflix logon credentials requiring me to re-enter them. It's quite annoying. Does this happen to anyone else?
post #545 of 568 Old 05-09-2020, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newuser2018 View Post
Experts,
Here is my issue & looking forward to your advise please....
-Have 2 Sony Blu-ray players placed one on the other. Basically one is Region-A 3D player (2014 model) & the other one is Region-Free Model Sony BDP-S6700. Both connected to same power source/switch.
Region-free model was bought only yesterday & found out that Ejecting button in either Remote opens up trays in both the players & also both Remotes look exactly alike
It is really annoying to see both trays opening and any advise how to control this?
Or, best solution is to split the Power for both, ON/OFF manually which ever not using?

thanks in advance
I use a small candy box to cover the remote sensor of my X700 when I use my region free 3700. That's my primary player for most non 4k purposes.
post #546 of 568 Old 05-15-2020, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just discovered that my otherwise great s3700 will not correctly play back DVDs of older movies shot in 4:3 (1.33:1) aspect ratio. It always stretches them to 16:9. The Pan and Scan option and other info in the manual do not work, and it's not my TV, since that aspect ratio streamed through my Apple TV gen4 to the TV works correctly.

Internet searches have turned up almost nothing other than a couple of mentions in Amazon reviews about this limitation.

Is there a trick to this?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide...
post #547 of 568 Old 05-15-2020, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonmac View Post
Just discovered that my otherwise great s3700 will not correctly play back DVDs of older movies shot in 4:3 (1.33:1) aspect ratio. It always stretches them to 16:9. The Pan and Scan option and other info in the manual do not work, and it's not my TV, since that aspect ratio streamed through my Apple TV gen4 to the TV works correctly.

Internet searches have turned up almost nothing other than a couple of mentions in Amazon reviews about this limitation.

This can be done either from the player or you tv set. On sony players there is a setting on setup>screen settings>screen format and you should set it to Fixed Aspect ratio instead of Original which is the default.

Samsung QE49Q60R, Sony BDP-S480, Sony BDP-S6700, Pioneer VSX-521, DUAL 505-2, Yamaha YST-SW315, Various 5.1 speakers.
post #548 of 568 Old 05-15-2020, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I've already tried this. When I go to setup>screen settings>screen format there is not an option for Fixed Aspect, only Normal and Full, neither of which corrects the playback. I've even selected that my TV is a 4:3 TV in the blu-ray player settings, but it still does not work.

The instructions in the manual do not match what I see.

Any other ideas? What am I missing, or is this just a quirk of the s3700?
post #549 of 568 Old 05-15-2020, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venejo View Post
This can be done either from the player or you tv set. On sony players there is a setting on setup>screen settings>screen format and you should set it to Fixed Aspect ratio instead of Original which is the default.
I think you mean changing the Screen Format setting from Full to Normal.... as far as the how this menu item is worded.. and then maybe having to change Output Video Resolution from Auto to Original Resolution too? depending on how some displays handle certain incoming resolutions.... Not certain... haven't played a 4:3 DVD in a long time
Attached Files
File Type: pdf page 23.pdf (52.0 KB, 2 views)
post #550 of 568 Old 05-15-2020, 11:51 AM

Guys this have worked for me even when watching on Netflix 4:3 older series which used to stretch and zoom them, choosing normal did it! Unfortunately im away from home to check the setting but i remember that this was all i did!

Samsung QE49Q60R, Sony BDP-S480, Sony BDP-S6700, Pioneer VSX-521, DUAL 505-2, Yamaha YST-SW315, Various 5.1 speakers.
post #551 of 568 Old 05-15-2020, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Does your TV have a display option which shows the incoming display parameters when you are viewing the Apple TV input as opposed to the incorrectly displaying Sony when viewing your 4:3 content? That may provide a clue as to why one works properly and the other doesn't...
post #552 of 568 Old 05-15-2020, 11:59 AM

I think deano86 has it. I've now set TV Type to 16:9, Screen Format to Normal, DVD Aspect Ratio to Pan & Scan, but I think what I was missing was the Output Video Resolution. That has to be set to Original Resolution. When you do that, it asks if you saw a test pattern and that if you don't just cancel and use another video format. Well, I never saw a test pattern, but Ok'd it anyway and it is working. Now the question is, will it still correctly play a widescreen DVD correctly without having to make any changes here. I'll have to check that tonight.

Thanks for the help and I'll report back if this is not a full fix.
post #553 of 568 Old 05-15-2020, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think deano86 has it. I've now set TV Type to 16:9, Screen Format to Normal, DVD Aspect Ratio to Pan & Scan, but I think what I was missing was the Output Video Resolution. That has to be set to Original Resolution. When you do that, it asks if you saw a test pattern and that if you don't just cancel and use another video format. Well, I never saw a test pattern, but Ok'd it anyway and it is working. Now the question is, will it still correctly play a widescreen DVD correctly without having to make any changes here. I'll have to check that tonight.

Thanks for the help and I'll report back if this is not a full fix.
Good deal.... although I wouldn't have thought you would have needed to change DVD aspect ratio to Pan & Scan... I figured the output resolution may have been the sticking point with your TV... but I guess you will find out when you play a widescreen DVD... and not to mention cluttering that up scenario is the original so called "widescreen" DVDs which were just a letterboxed widescreen versions shoved into a 4:3 format... which really look ridiculous now! At least anamorphic DVDs look proper.
post #554 of 568 Old 05-15-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Good deal.... although I wouldn't have thought you would have needed to change DVD aspect ratio to Pan & Scan... I figured the output resolution may have been the sticking point with your TV... but I guess you will find out when you play a widescreen DVD... and not to mention cluttering that up scenario is the original so called "widescreen" DVDs which were just a letterboxed widescreen versions shoved into a 4:3 format... which really look ridiculous now! At least anamorphic DVDs look proper.
Yes, i think you're right. After a bit more testing with a DVD that is 16:9 it seems none of those really matter except for the Output Video Resolution being set to Original. I'm pretty sure I tried that and it didn't work, so it may have been that something else was set wrong as well. Anyway, on my wide screen DVD everything works except the top Title screen of the disc is still 4:3, so I'll probably just live with that rather than spend more time troubleshooting.

Thanks for the suggestions and help
post #555 of 568 Old 06-03-2020, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi I am a newbie here.

I have a bdpS6700 paired with my LGSK8000 4K SUHD tv.

The s6700 is connected with a high speed hdmi cable to my Marantz NR1710 avr before connecting to the TV.

The problem I have is while watching a blu ray disc, I get a blackout for about 2-4 seconds. It happens only once in the movie, usually 20-30 minutes into the film.

No video, but audio is still running.

I have already tried switching changing cables, switching off the hdmi deep colour, switching hdmi ports on my avr, but still the problem persists.

Did anyone face the same problem? Any help is appreciated.
post #556 of 568 Old 06-03-2020, 11:45 PM

I have found that the player gives many errors and problems when its connected to my non 4k AV. Had many blackouts green bars and i had to disable the 4k and high deep color. I have it now connected to my new Sammy 4k tv which supports all these and i give the sound through ARC and i have no problem.

post #557 of 568 Old 06-04-2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I have found that the player gives many errors and problems when its connected to my non 4k AV. Had many blackouts green bars and i had to disable the 4k and high deep color. I have it now connected to my new Sammy 4k tv which supports all these and i give the sound through ARC and i have no problem.
Mine is connected to a 4k AVR. Should I disable the s6700 4k feature on the player and let the AVR do the upscaling work instead? also should I turn the HDMI deep colour on my player off as I have it on my TV's hdmi input.
post #558 of 568 Old 06-04-2020, 12:33 AM

You can try with different settings and see what's best for your setup. Lately i have found that between different Companies even though there are Standards, there are many incompatibilities. And this player from Sony its not the best thing..

post #559 of 568 Old 06-04-2020, 01:01 AM

Quote:
You can try with different settings and see what's best for your setup. Lately i have found that between different Companies even though there are Standards, there are many incompatibilities. And this player from Sony its not the best thing..
I agree. I just thought if I purchased an upscale player I would like to make the best out of it.

Not sure if a new update would help (fingers crossed a new patch will be out soon)

It is frustrating especially when the blackouts occur. Totally kills the whole move watching experience.
post #560 of 568 Old 06-04-2020, 01:11 AM

For the Sony player i don't see any other firmware updates bot to mention that is a 2016 product. The last one came out a year ago? And it was just to remove some outdated services like Gracenote. Basically check your TV for updates and your AV receiver (if it has this feature).

post #561 of 568 Old 06-04-2020, 01:19 AM

Quote:
For the Sony player i don't see any other firmware updates bot to mention that is a 2016 product. The last one came out a year ago? And it was just to remove some outdated services like Gracenote. Basically check your TV for updates and your AV receiver (if it has this feature).
Latest one was released on the 3rd of December 2019 - M32.R.0527 .

Unfortunately the TV and AVR doesn't have any latest update for now.

As you've mentioned, it could be any of the settings on the player. (have tried almost all but still at a lost)

The worse part is, it only occurs ONCE...and then for the remaining time of the movie, everything is fine.

I called up SONY but they just told me to get it to the service center to get it fixed
post #562 of 568 Old 06-04-2020, 01:24 AM

I don't know what is there to fix, but you never know. I'm unsatisfied with the unit (6700) very slow in everything and not very friendly with other devices.

post #563 of 568 Old 06-04-2020, 02:45 AM

Quote:
I don't know what is there to fix, but you never know. I'm unsatisfied with the unit (6700) very slow in everything and not very friendly with other devices.
Yes you are right.

I can't see anywhere or anything to fix. Maybe they were not too interested in the issue.
post #564 of 568 Old 06-04-2020, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Jin View Post
Yes you are right.

I can't see anywhere or anything to fix. Maybe they were not too interested in the issue.
Most support centers just work off a script. Their operators usually don't really know anything about audio or video. If they don't understand the problem "send it in for repairs."

Previously you mentioned upscaling to 4K. In general, it's best to let the TV itself do the upscaling. Turn it off in both the receiver and the player. That minimizes the video bitrate traveling over the HDMI cables and might (or might not) help with your dropout problem.
deano86 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #565 of 568 Old 06-04-2020, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Latest one was released on the 3rd of December 2019 - M32.R.0527 .

Unfortunately the TV and AVR doesn't have any latest update for now.

As you've mentioned, it could be any of the settings on the player. (have tried almost all but still at a lost)

The worse part is, it only occurs ONCE...and then for the remaining time of the movie, everything is fine.

I called up SONY but they just told me to get it to the service center to get it fixed
I believe that is actually the 12th of March 2019, the first number is the month 03-12-2019, it's MM-DD-YYYY, it's the EU/AU regions with the DD-MM-YYYY format typically.

Last edited by oniiz; 06-04-2020 at 08:31 AM.
post #566 of 568 Old 06-04-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Most support centers just work off a script. Their operators usually don't really know anything about audio or video. If they don't understand the problem "send it in for repairs."

Previously you mentioned upscaling to 4K. In general, it's best to let the TV itself do the upscaling. Turn it off in both the receiver and the player. That minimizes the video bitrate traveling over the HDMI cables and might (or might not) help with your dropout problem.
Thank you.

I will try by switching off the 4k upscale on the sony player to see if it works.

On the receiver there are just two options of either 'standard' or 'enhanced'

I tried both but the blackouts still occured.

But having said that, won't the high speed HDMI cable help ease the burden of the bitrate load? As I am using one. Or it doesn't make much of a difference?
post #567 of 568 Old 06-05-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oniiz View Post
I believe that is actually the 12th of March 2019, the first number is the month 03-12-2019, it's MM-DD-YYYY, it's the EU/AU regions with the DD-MM-YYYY format typically.
Yeap. You are right. My mistake.

The latest firmware which was released was on the 12/3/2019.
post #568 of 568 Old 06-05-2020, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4823 Post(s)
Liked: 2874
Quote:
Thank you.

I will try by switching off the 4k upscale on the sony player to see if it works.

On the receiver there are just two options of either 'standard' or 'enhanced'

I tried both but the blackouts still occured.

But having said that, won't the high speed HDMI cable help ease the burden of the bitrate load? As I am using one. Or it doesn't make much of a difference?
For 4K signals, you need to use "Certified Premium High Speed" HDMI cables.

Initially, HDMI.org claimed that "High Speed" cables should work with 4K UHD signals. Unfortunately, shortly after 4K UHD video sources became available, it was discovered that "High Speed" HDMI cables were not being tested to ensure that they could actually carry 4K. The testing procedures were only verifying that they worked for 1080p. As a result, there is no way to know if any particular "High Speed" cable can work with 4K. It might or it might not. A revised testing procedure was quickly produced: "Certified Premium".

"Certified Premium High Speed" HDMI cables are accompanied by a special holographic certification tag which is difficult to forge. Fortunately, these cables cost no more than non-certified "High Speed" cables.

For more information, see https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable

Edited to add:
I'm guessing that you have a Denon receiver. Its "Enhanced" setting is required to guarantee that 4K signals are passed through the receiver without being degraded.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped

Last edited by Selden Ball; 06-05-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
S1700

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page