Sony S1700 / S3700 /S6700 Blu-ray players - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #541 of 554 Old 05-01-2020, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Sony's don't allow streaming and also USB playing of MKV format TrueHD audio files... but as you have found out, the regular Dolby Digital AC-3 or Dolby digital plus versions you can play. In some cases though, downloads will have both the TrueHD and the Digital Plus versions in them, so you may want to try and hit the Audio button on your Sony remote on those silent demo files to see if you can toggle to an alternate soundtrack.... if there is one included. For what it's worth, the Digital Plus versions of the Atmos demos will still sound pretty awesome. But, if you really want to play those lossless MKV files through the Sony, you will need to convert them to M2TS files..I believe they will play in that format.
Thank you!! I messed around yesterday with it for few hours and was not able to get them work in lossless MKV. So gave up and left them in Dolby Digital. Just like you said, they sound pretty good but I would have liked to have had them in the original MKV format I guess I will try at some other time again...

Home Theatre: Marantz SR7012 | Emotiva BassX A-300 | Ascend CMT-340 SE Front L/C/R | Klipsch R-14S Surround Side L/R | Klipsch R-41M Surround Rear L/R | Klipsch CDT-3650-C ii Atmos | Dual Monolith 12 Subwoofers | Sony BDP-S6700 | Minix NEO U9-H |

Music: Denon AVR-S910W | Klipsch RP8000F | Klipsch R-112SW Subwoofer |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 554 Old 05-01-2020, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Sony's don't allow streaming and also USB playing of MKV format TrueHD audio files... but as you have found out, the regular Dolby Digital AC-3 or Dolby digital plus versions you can play. In some cases though, downloads will have both the TrueHD and the Digital Plus versions in them, so you may want to try and hit the Audio button on your Sony remote on those silent demo files to see if you can toggle to an alternate soundtrack.... if there is one included. For what it's worth, the Digital Plus versions of the Atmos demos will still sound pretty awesome. But, if you really want to play those lossless MKV files through the Sony, you will need to convert them to M2TS files..I believe they will play in that format.
I don't think Dolby Digital Plus works either with the MKV container unless a recent firmware update added support for it, according to the manual it's unsupported, are you able to confirm with a screenshot?
post #543 of 554 Old 05-01-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 367
No...I was just operating on info from the OP that only lossless wasnt working for him...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 554 Old 05-09-2020, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Unhappy S6700 losing Netflix credentials

My BDP-S6700 is periodically losing my Netflix logon credentials requiring me to re-enter them. It's quite annoying. Does this happen to anyone else?
post #545 of 554 Old 05-09-2020, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newuser2018 View Post
Experts,
Here is my issue & looking forward to your advise please....
-Have 2 Sony Blu-ray players placed one on the other. Basically one is Region-A 3D player (2014 model) & the other one is Region-Free Model Sony BDP-S6700. Both connected to same power source/switch.
Region-free model was bought only yesterday & found out that Ejecting button in either Remote opens up trays in both the players & also both Remotes look exactly alike
It is really annoying to see both trays opening and any advise how to control this?
Or, best solution is to split the Power for both, ON/OFF manually which ever not using?

thanks in advance
I use a small candy box to cover the remote sensor of my X700 when I use my region free 3700. That's my primary player for most non 4k purposes.
post #546 of 554 Old 05-15-2020, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just discovered that my otherwise great s3700 will not correctly play back DVDs of older movies shot in 4:3 (1.33:1) aspect ratio. It always stretches them to 16:9. The Pan and Scan option and other info in the manual do not work, and it's not my TV, since that aspect ratio streamed through my Apple TV gen4 to the TV works correctly.

Internet searches have turned up almost nothing other than a couple of mentions in Amazon reviews about this limitation.

Is there a trick to this?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide...
post #547 of 554 Old 05-15-2020, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonmac View Post
Just discovered that my otherwise great s3700 will not correctly play back DVDs of older movies shot in 4:3 (1.33:1) aspect ratio. It always stretches them to 16:9. The Pan and Scan option and other info in the manual do not work, and it's not my TV, since that aspect ratio streamed through my Apple TV gen4 to the TV works correctly.

Internet searches have turned up almost nothing other than a couple of mentions in Amazon reviews about this limitation.

This can be done either from the player or you tv set. On sony players there is a setting on setup>screen settings>screen format and you should set it to Fixed Aspect ratio instead of Original which is the default.

Samsung QE49Q60R, Sony BDP-S480, Sony BDP-S6700, Pioneer VSX-521, DUAL 505-2, Yamaha YST-SW315, Various 5.1 speakers.
post #548 of 554 Old 05-15-2020, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I've already tried this. When I go to setup>screen settings>screen format there is not an option for Fixed Aspect, only Normal and Full, neither of which corrects the playback. I've even selected that my TV is a 4:3 TV in the blu-ray player settings, but it still does not work.

The instructions in the manual do not match what I see.

Any other ideas? What am I missing, or is this just a quirk of the s3700?
post #549 of 554 Old 05-15-2020, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venejo View Post
This can be done either from the player or you tv set. On sony players there is a setting on setup>screen settings>screen format and you should set it to Fixed Aspect ratio instead of Original which is the default.
I think you mean changing the Screen Format setting from Full to Normal.... as far as the how this menu item is worded.. and then maybe having to change Output Video Resolution from Auto to Original Resolution too? depending on how some displays handle certain incoming resolutions.... Not certain... haven't played a 4:3 DVD in a long time
Attached Files
File Type: pdf page 23.pdf (52.0 KB, 2 views)
post #550 of 554 Old 05-15-2020, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys this have worked for me even when watching on Netflix 4:3 older series which used to stretch and zoom them, choosing normal did it! Unfortunately im away from home to check the setting but i remember that this was all i did!

Samsung QE49Q60R, Sony BDP-S480, Sony BDP-S6700, Pioneer VSX-521, DUAL 505-2, Yamaha YST-SW315, Various 5.1 speakers.
post #551 of 554 Old 05-15-2020, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Does your TV have a display option which shows the incoming display parameters when you are viewing the Apple TV input as opposed to the incorrectly displaying Sony when viewing your 4:3 content? That may provide a clue as to why one works properly and the other doesn't...
post #552 of 554 Old 05-15-2020, 11:59 AM

I think deano86 has it. I've now set TV Type to 16:9, Screen Format to Normal, DVD Aspect Ratio to Pan & Scan, but I think what I was missing was the Output Video Resolution. That has to be set to Original Resolution. When you do that, it asks if you saw a test pattern and that if you don't just cancel and use another video format. Well, I never saw a test pattern, but Ok'd it anyway and it is working. Now the question is, will it still correctly play a widescreen DVD correctly without having to make any changes here. I'll have to check that tonight.

Thanks for the help and I'll report back if this is not a full fix.
post #553 of 554 Old 05-15-2020, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think deano86 has it. I've now set TV Type to 16:9, Screen Format to Normal, DVD Aspect Ratio to Pan & Scan, but I think what I was missing was the Output Video Resolution. That has to be set to Original Resolution. When you do that, it asks if you saw a test pattern and that if you don't just cancel and use another video format. Well, I never saw a test pattern, but Ok'd it anyway and it is working. Now the question is, will it still correctly play a widescreen DVD correctly without having to make any changes here. I'll have to check that tonight.

Thanks for the help and I'll report back if this is not a full fix.
Good deal.... although I wouldn't have thought you would have needed to change DVD aspect ratio to Pan & Scan... I figured the output resolution may have been the sticking point with your TV... but I guess you will find out when you play a widescreen DVD... and not to mention cluttering that up scenario is the original so called "widescreen" DVDs which were just a letterboxed widescreen versions shoved into a 4:3 format... which really look ridiculous now! At least anamorphic DVDs look proper.
post #554 of 554 Old 05-15-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Good deal.... although I wouldn't have thought you would have needed to change DVD aspect ratio to Pan & Scan... I figured the output resolution may have been the sticking point with your TV... but I guess you will find out when you play a widescreen DVD... and not to mention cluttering that up scenario is the original so called "widescreen" DVDs which were just a letterboxed widescreen versions shoved into a 4:3 format... which really look ridiculous now! At least anamorphic DVDs look proper.
Yes, i think you're right. After a bit more testing with a DVD that is 16:9 it seems none of those really matter except for the Output Video Resolution being set to Original. I'm pretty sure I tried that and it didn't work, so it may have been that something else was set wrong as well. Anyway, on my wide screen DVD everything works except the top Title screen of the disc is still 4:3, so I'll probably just live with that rather than spend more time troubleshooting.

Thanks for the suggestions and help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
S1700

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page