Sony S1700 / S3700 /S6700 Blu-ray players - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 90Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 525 Old 11-11-2016, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
nikknightt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A.
Posts: 923
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott View Post
I would like to know this too.
I updated my previous post.. It won't..
It will play the mkv and FF quite nicely but it won't navigate chapters.
nikknightt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 525 Old 11-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
RayChuang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sacramento, California USA
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
By the way, I just replaced my old Sony BDP-S370 with the new BDP-S6700.

One thing that amazes me is how small the player is compared to my old player--the new player is probably half the size! But yet, the picture quality is excellent, especially the much-improved upscaling of DVD discs. Also, Blu-ray discs start up vastly faster than the old player--and they seemed to have fixed the HDMI handshaking issues that plagued my old player using the current firmware. I've try more of the streaming features, but YouTube and Netflix work quite well (I saw the first episode of Netflix's The Crown and it looked pretty good).

Raymond in Sacramento, CA
RayChuang is offline  
post #93 of 525 Old 11-20-2016, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
MKV files work with my 6700 and Plex

Hey all,

I was reading this forum and came across the MKV streaming posts and the x700 series players.

I'm a Plex pass subscriber, and manage my media streaming Via Plex. I have a dedicated server for streaming. Anyway the Sony shows my blu-ray files in MKV format natively. Plex might be doing some work to help the player work with the files, but in the list they show as MKV on the player.

I purchased a 6700 for the bedroom just to have a current player since updates on a regular basis don't last more then a year usually. For the Living room I got an Xbox one S for native UHD playback on the 4k TV. I use a sound bar for living room sound, so the Xbox's lack of being able to bitstream currently isn't an issue for me, since I use PCM sound. I also noticed the 6700 supports BT, does this mean it can also pass audio to BT speakers?
MacinMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 525 Old 11-21-2016, 09:31 AM
Member
 
rlcarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Status of child lock/trapped disc problems?

I'm strongly considering getting an S3700 or S6700, but I've been put off by the repeated mentions here and elsewhere of the player trapping discs when its "child lock" feature goes haywire.

Has that been solved or at least mitigated? Is the S6700 any better on this than the S3700?
rlcarr is offline  
post #95 of 525 Old 11-21-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarr View Post
I'm strongly considering getting an S3700 or S6700, but I've been put off by the repeated mentions here and elsewhere of the player trapping discs when its "child lock" feature goes haywire.

Has that been solved or at least mitigated? Is the S6700 any better on this than the S3700?
I recently purchased a 6700, and I've had not one issue with the child lock feature turning on. I've never had that happen with any disc player I've owned. With all the complaints I saw at first, I was starting to think it was user error. But when I saw reports from people on this forum, Then it appears like it's a genuine issue., or was.

Either way, I haven't had any issues to answer your immediate question.
MacinMan is offline  
post #96 of 525 Old 11-21-2016, 11:40 AM
Member
 
rlcarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BTW, obviously I have no idea if it really resolves anything, but poking around Sony's site I see that the 3700 and 6700 have a firmware update released 11/1/2016 that among other things claims to "fix an issue with the child lock feature".
rlcarr is offline  
post #97 of 525 Old 11-27-2016, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I've got my BDP-S6700 region-free player in August 2016. It's been always updated to the current firmware. I have not had any problems whatsoever with this player, it simply work like a charm.
Michael9009 is offline  
post #98 of 525 Old 11-27-2016, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Hey all,
I wanted to get some feedback on audio since I've got the Video part taken care of for my setup.

Some background:
I live in a one bedroom apartment so some of my determinations and choices I've made are based on apartment vs house.

In the living room I have a 43" Sony XBR-800D series TV.
currently attached devices are :

Roku Premiere+ for 4k compatible Streaming
AppleTV 4th Generation for iTunes and other Apple compatibilities and features
Xbox One S for some casual gaming and UHD blu-ray playback as well as a disc player for my other media. (I bought a remote for the Xbox so I don't have to always use the controller for disc playback and navigation )

For my current audio, I have a Vizio 2.0 sound bar connected to the TV's optical out port, with all devices above connected to the TV by HDMI.

I want to be clear up front and say I'm not asking this because I'm unhappy with my current audio, no in fact, I'm happy with it and think the current sound bar puts out great quality sound. I'm more asking to find out if the wireless surround systems are worth it. I do not want to run wires in here, as the living room isn't of a design that would be clean, unless I ran all wires along one side of the wall for rear speakers. The other concern is, I have already decided not to put holes in the walls If I don't have to. Just to save on work I have to do when moving out to fix things up. I'm also saying this because I don't have a good layout where speaker stands would work well either.

With all of this said. I have seen a few sound bars that offer wireless speakers, and those could work as I could set one at each end on the back of the couch. It has a flat surface and they would be off the ground, but not have to be put on the wall at the same time.

Would that even be worth it for me at this point ? I do care about audio, but surround isn't a priority for me right now. I mainly upgraded to 4k because I had some extra money, and wanted to have a setup I could grow into. The main reason though is for picture quality upgrades. Most of the time when I have the TV on, be it a movie or TV show, etc, it's mainly as background noise. I don't just sit and watch a movie that often. I usually do it while doing other things. If I were going to add anything it would be more likely a subwoofer for extra bass, but currently am happy with the built in balance of bass and treble the bar offers.

I wanted to add in my closing thought that about 85 to 95 % of the stuff I watch on a regular basis, is more then likely streamed / broadcast in stereo anyway.
I do have Netflix I do have VUDU, I do have content supports both surround and HD audio, but the stuff I watch on a regular basis are older TV shows between the 50's and 70's or church related broadcasts. I do watch some stuff from the 80's 90's and even current stuff too, so I would have content to take advantage. I was just wanting to find out, if I've already planned out what's best for my setup, or are there options that would work and be worth the investment, or should I wait until I have a bigger place / house maybe and make the investment then when I can put more work into things, and enjoy the setup more?

By the way, I do have a BDP-S6700 player, but I put it in the bedroom on the 1080p. In the living room trying to keep all devices other then cable box, and AppleTV to native 4k and HDR support to take full advantage of the TV.

Thanks again for the help! I know I wrote a lot, but I wanted to try and cover everything to be clear.

Last edited by MacinMan; 11-28-2016 at 12:00 AM.
MacinMan is offline  
post #99 of 525 Old 11-28-2016, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Hey all,
I wanted to get some feedback on audio since I've got the Video part taken care of for my setup.
You'll probably get more knowledgeable answers in the Soundbar forum at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-soundbars/

Don't forget that wireless speakers are not cordless speakers. They need to have a power connection for their internal RF signal receivers and for their internal audio amplifiers.

In your situation, I suspect a subwoofer would provide a more satisfying improvement in the audio than surround speakers. (You don't know what you're missing until you've heard it.) Surround speakers like those you describe would provide an enhancement when you're seated and watching or listening to a program or movie, not so much when you're elsewhere. However, the lowest frequencies provided by a quality subwoofer tend to be audible to people in adjacent apartments, which can be a problem.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #100 of 525 Old 11-28-2016, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
You'll probably get more knowledgeable answers in the Soundbar forum at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/195-soundbars/

Don't forget that wireless speakers are not cordless speakers. They need to have a power connection for their internal RF signal receivers and for their internal audio amplifiers.

In your situation, I suspect a subwoofer would provide a more satisfying improvement in the audio than surround speakers. (You don't know what you're missing until you've heard it.) Surround speakers like those you describe would provide an enhancement when you're seated and watching or listening to a program or movie, not so much when you're elsewhere. However, the lowest frequencies provided by a quality subwoofer tend to be audible to people in adjacent apartments, which can be a problem.
@Selden Ball I forgot to mention this above, but I owned a Panasonic theater in a box with 5.1 sound that did Dolby digital and DTS via the built in DVD changer. I have experienced surround at home, so that's why I can say I can live without it until I'm in more ideal circumstances. It has a nice affect, but only if done right. I could try a sub, the theater is away from the wall that joins the apartment and I don't play my stuff overly loud so I might not bother people much since it would also be sitting on carpet
MacinMan is offline  
post #101 of 525 Old 11-28-2016, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
@Selden Ball I forgot to mention this above, but I owned a Panasonic theater in a box with 5.1 sound that did Dolby digital and DTS via the built in DVD changer. I have experienced surround at home, so that's why I can say I can live without it until I'm in more ideal circumstances. It has a nice affect, but only if done right. I could try a sub, the theater is away from the wall that joins the apartment and I don't play my stuff overly loud so I might not bother people much since it would also be sitting on carpet
The very lowest frequencies travel through everything. The sub doesn't have to be near a wall, and being on a carpet doesn't help a lot, either. Hearing irregular thumps can be very annoying to some people. An 8" or 10" sub probably would be OK, though. Most soundbars have tiny speakers, so you probably can't hear the low frequencies very well right now.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #102 of 525 Old 11-28-2016, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
The very lowest frequencies travel through everything. The sub doesn't have to be near a wall, and being on a carpet doesn't help a lot, either. Hearing irregular thumps can be very annoying to some people. An 8" or 10" sub probably would be OK, though. Most soundbars have tiny speakers, so you probably can't hear the low frequencies very well right now.
@Selden Ball I went ahead and bought the Vizio 2.1 Sound bar, the one I had is the 2.0 model, the same but without the included wireless sub.,

So far, I've found it a nicer balance. The bass isn't over powering and doesn't share the apartment, but does add noticeable difference.

the new model is:https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB3821-...+2.1+sound+bar
MacinMan is offline  
post #103 of 525 Old 12-02-2016, 05:00 PM
Member
 
Shooter33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Western PA
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony BDP-S3700 Region Free Blu-ray Player

I recently purchased a Sony BDP-S3700 Region Free Blu-Ray Player from 220-Electronics. To play Region B Blu-Rays and DVD purchased from the UK. Everything plays fine.

My questions deals with 1080/50i content. I am interested in purchasing http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Wo...lu-ray/161094/ from Amazon UK.

I emailed Network (producer of this Blu-ray). They said
Quote:
I have spoken to our colleagues in the studio and unfortunately for
overseas customers, this title is 50i (1080i/50hz) which means that you
are very likely to encounter playback issues. I am afraid to say that if
you go ahead with your purchase, it would be at your own risk as our
product page details the item's specifications.
I also emailed 220- Electronics they said
Quote:
Yes it should play it without a problem. Just make sure you switch the player to region B before you try.
As this is a $61 plus change purchase, I am concerned about playback possible issues. I have purchased and played ...Porridge Complete Series and Father Ted Complete Series both on DVD without issue, they might be 576i content. I have also purchased Blu-rays and playback has been fine. As far as I know none of these discs have the 1080/50i content on them to try myself.

On a review of The Professionals British TV Series this was quoted
Quote:
(Note: Network's release is Region-Free. However, because the entire show is encoded in 1080/50i, which is a standard that is not supported in North America, it cannot be played by the overwhelming majority of native Region-A Blu-ray players, including the PS3 and PS4. This being said, there are a few Blu-ray players on the market that automatically convert 1080/50i content to 1080/60i or 1080/60p. If your player is capable of performing such conversions, you will be able to view the show on your North American TV set. All Region-Free players will automatically do the conversion described above).
Can anybody shed any light on my dilemma ?


Thanks
Steve
Shooter33 is offline  
post #104 of 525 Old 12-03-2016, 11:54 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello

I am considering getting the s6700. What are user's comments on the picture and sound quality. Does it run nosily?
I am more leaning towards the Pioneer BDP-180 for a little bit more cost as it looks more premium. I have a Sony dtr-dn850 avr so that would match and might be more convenient.
However I am looking for the better player so your comments would be helpful.

Thanks.
Panostar is offline  
post #105 of 525 Old 12-07-2016, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
jjohnston7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sony BDP-S360 vs BDP S6700

I am thinking about upgrading my Blu-Ray player. I have all the streaming boxes I need (Roku, apple TV, Tivo) so I don't need streaming. but I am curious about picture quality. My TV is NOT 4k its 1080p.

Currently I have a Sony BDP-S360 and it works good, no complaints really. But am looking at the BDP-S6700. Would this gain me any picture quality enhancements at all? its a LOT newer, but that doesn't always mean anything...

My TV is a Sharp LC-70LE632U
Don't have surround sound setup unfortunately Just a Vizio 3.0 soundbar.
jjohnston7 is offline  
post #106 of 525 Old 12-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I've just asked in S370 thread, I think it's an old thread for old device, this thread is more like what it should be.
Anyway, I cut and paste over
=====================
A late comer here.
I got the BX370 from Costco last week, I think it's the same or almost identical to the S3700 in other retails.
Anyway, I hope someone can verify this for me before I return it.
Is it true that it doesn't support TrueHD audio format when playing via USB?
I have an .mkv with TrueHD format, and I cannot play it, it indicates "audio format not supported", I cannot even play other audio track.
I've searched around and it seems it should but it won't work for me.
Not sure if Sony product really not support TrueHD or just a firmware bug (I've updated to the latest firmware, R30.xx380)

Note: it plays DTS-HD MA .mkv file just fine.
====================

I have Atmos/DTSX capable AVR so all I want is lossless audio track can passthru (no need to decode).
My Audio Settings
Digital Audio Output => Auto
DSD Output Mode => Off
BD Audio MIX Setting => Off
Dolby D Compatible Output => Off
Downmix => Stereo.

Firmware: M30.R.0380
tinhvo is offline  
post #107 of 525 Old 12-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 189
At first, it played Harry Potter 6 which has TrueHD format but AVR only displayed Dolby Digital. I then factory-reset all settings then it played OK since (AVR display Dolby TrueHD) but not from .mkv via USB. I reset one more time, still no go.
Also, if I have my USB stick inserted, every time I power the player off/on, I have to get to the player, unplug it and re-plug. It's kind of painful
tinhvo is offline  
post #108 of 525 Old 12-10-2016, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Hey all,

I did a google search on this, but couldn't really find anything specific. Did Sony remove the screensaver from the x700 players? It no longer seems to be an option, or kicks in during idle time or audio cd playback etc.

Just wanted to double check as I thought it was strange since every model of Sony player I've used up until this point has had this feature. Thanks!
Michael9009 likes this.
MacinMan is offline  
post #109 of 525 Old 12-11-2016, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
I've just asked in S370 thread, I think it's an old thread for old device, this thread is more like what it should be.
Anyway, I cut and paste over
=====================
A late comer here.
I got the BX370 from Costco last week, I think it's the same or almost identical to the S3700 in other retails.
Anyway, I hope someone can verify this for me before I return it.
Is it true that it doesn't support TrueHD audio format when playing via USB?
I have an .mkv with TrueHD format, and I cannot play it, it indicates "audio format not supported", I cannot even play other audio track.
I've searched around and it seems it should but it won't work for me.
Not sure if Sony product really not support TrueHD or just a firmware bug (I've updated to the latest firmware, R30.xx380)

Note: it plays DTS-HD MA .mkv file just fine.
====================

I have Atmos/DTSX capable AVR so all I want is lossless audio track can passthru (no need to decode).
My Audio Settings
Digital Audio Output => Auto
DSD Output Mode => Off
BD Audio MIX Setting => Off
Dolby D Compatible Output => Off
Downmix => Stereo.

Firmware: M30.R.0380

I just bought the S6500 (with the latest firmware M26.R.0218) from Bestbuy, went home, hooked up and played.
Same thing , TrueHD "audio format not supported".
It is very irritated that it works for others but not for me.
Can someone who have the S6500 with that firmware please help me to confirm?

BB doesn't carry S6700 in store.
tinhvo is offline  
post #110 of 525 Old 12-12-2016, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
I believe it's a limitation in Sony's MKV decoder.

I have no problems bitstreaming Atmos soundtracks in m2ts format from USB on my 6500 after its most recent firmware update. Previously it translated m2ts multichannel TrueHD soundtracks into stereo PCM, although multichannel DD+ was bitstreamed properly.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #111 of 525 Old 12-12-2016, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
I believe it's a limitation in Sony's MKV decoder.

I have no problems bitstreaming Atmos soundtracks in m2ts format from USB on my 6500 after its most recent firmware update. Previously it translated m2ts multichannel TrueHD soundtracks into stereo PCM, although multichannel DD+ was bitstreamed properly.
Thanks for replying my post here, Selden.
I really don't know why. It just doesn't work for me.
I got the BX370 which having issue, so I hoped the S6500 would be better. It's not.
So now, if I want to watch my mkv with TrueHD I will have to use the WDTV Live and if watching DTS-HD MA, I then switch to the BX370.
It's kind of inconvenience, though.
tinhvo is offline  
post #112 of 525 Old 12-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 987
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I've stumbled across this post from Sony forums, not sure it is still relevant or not

"Hi,

I got an answer from sony support that dolby true hd can only be output when playing a disc neither from usb nor from a dlna server"
Link: https://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ra...p/460926#M7040.

It's the S7200, but if it doesn't support then I doubt they will support any other player.
tinhvo is offline  
post #113 of 525 Old 12-16-2016, 03:23 PM
 
milehighou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,762
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Hey guys, just picked up an S1700. It seems to be working OK so far. Are there any default settings I should change? Most of them are on auto. Wasn't sure if I should fiddle with any of the video output settings. I see there are some options for output resolution. Among the choices are auto and original. Auto seems to be fine, but if I set it to original and let my TV do any upscaling, would that be better? I have a Samsung JU7100 4K.
milehighou is offline  
post #114 of 525 Old 12-26-2016, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
BOSTON-HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Magnolia, MA.
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
@Selden Ball I forgot to mention this above, but I owned a Panasonic theater in a box with 5.1 sound that did Dolby digital and DTS via the built in DVD changer. I have experienced surround at home, so that's why I can say I can live without it until I'm in more ideal circumstances. It has a nice affect, but only if done right. I could try a sub, the theater is away from the wall that joins the apartment and I don't play my stuff overly loud so I might not bother people much since it would also be sitting on carpet
Ok got it. Just how is this post related to the Sony S3700/S6700 BR players? Are you talking about soundbars & 5.1 set ups? Then you should head to the appropriate sub forum.
BOSTON-HD is offline  
post #115 of 525 Old 12-26-2016, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSTON-HD View Post
Ok got it. Just how is this post related to the Sony S3700/S6700 BR players? Are you talking about soundbars & 5.1 set ups? Then you should head to the appropriate sub forum.
To answer your question, after going back and reading the post I had put up. The products I've owned have overlapped when it comes to these forums. For example. I own a BDP-S6700 but use it with a sound bar. The only time I've used surround is when I had that theater in a box unit, mentioned above.

What usually happens with me, is I have questions about a product I own in this case, the blu-ray player and it extends into other parts of the setup. What would most likely help me more is instead of trying to keep up with a bunch of different specific threads, find a place where I can ask anything related to home theater, and find people with multiple products and parts of the setup in one place. BTW the one question I specifically asked about the BDP-S6700 apparently never got answer, regarding whether or not Sony officially removed the screensaver. I don't seem to have that function anymore.
MacinMan is offline  
post #116 of 525 Old 12-26-2016, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
BOSTON-HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Magnolia, MA.
Posts: 616
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
To answer your question, after going back and reading the post I had put up. The products I've owned have overlapped when it comes to these forums. For example. I own a BDP-S6700 but use it with a sound bar. The only time I've used surround is when I had that theater in a box unit, mentioned above.

What usually happens with me, is I have questions about a product I own in this case, the blu-ray player and it extends into other parts of the setup. What would most likely help me more is instead of trying to keep up with a bunch of different specific threads, find a place where I can ask anything related to home theater, and find people with multiple products and parts of the setup in one place. BTW the one question I specifically asked about the BDP-S6700 apparently never got answer, regarding whether or not Sony officially removed the screensaver. I don't seem to have that function anymore.
Understood. Just that the amount of detail simply isn't necessary. BTW...I picked-up the Sony XBX-43X800D for our bedroom last week & I love it. Most people will blow by your quotes because it's not exactly "topic" related.

Below is a copy & paste from your earlier comment. It's complete & utter overkill & most of it isn't related.

Hey all,
I wanted to get some feedback on audio since I've got the Video part taken care of for my setup.

Some background:
I live in a one bedroom apartment so some of my determinations and choices I've made are based on apartment vs house.

In the living room I have a 43" Sony XBR-800D series TV.
currently attached devices are :

Roku Premiere+ for 4k compatible Streaming
AppleTV 4th Generation for iTunes and other Apple compatibilities and features
Xbox One S for some casual gaming and UHD blu-ray playback as well as a disc player for my other media. (I bought a remote for the Xbox so I don't have to always use the controller for disc playback and navigation )

For my current audio, I have a Vizio 2.0 sound bar connected to the TV's optical out port, with all devices above connected to the TV by HDMI.

I want to be clear up front and say I'm not asking this because I'm unhappy with my current audio, no in fact, I'm happy with it and think the current sound bar puts out great quality sound. I'm more asking to find out if the wireless surround systems are worth it. I do not want to run wires in here, as the living room isn't of a design that would be clean, unless I ran all wires along one side of the wall for rear speakers. The other concern is, I have already decided not to put holes in the walls If I don't have to. Just to save on work I have to do when moving out to fix things up. I'm also saying this because I don't have a good layout where speaker stands would work well either.

With all of this said. I have seen a few sound bars that offer wireless speakers, and those could work as I could set one at each end on the back of the couch. It has a flat surface and they would be off the ground, but not have to be put on the wall at the same time.

Would that even be worth it for me at this point ? I do care about audio, but surround isn't a priority for me right now. I mainly upgraded to 4k because I had some extra money, and wanted to have a setup I could grow into. The main reason though is for picture quality upgrades. Most of the time when I have the TV on, be it a movie or TV show, etc, it's mainly as background noise. I don't just sit and watch a movie that often. I usually do it while doing other things. If I were going to add anything it would be more likely a subwoofer for extra bass, but currently am happy with the built in balance of bass and treble the bar offers.

I wanted to add in my closing thought that about 85 to 95 % of the stuff I watch on a regular basis, is more then likely streamed / broadcast in stereo anyway.
I do have Netflix I do have VUDU, I do have content supports both surround and HD audio, but the stuff I watch on a regular basis are older TV shows between the 50's and 70's or church related broadcasts. I do watch some stuff from the 80's 90's and even current stuff too, so I would have content to take advantage. I was just wanting to find out, if I've already planned out what's best for my setup, or are there options that would work and be worth the investment, or should I wait until I have a bigger place / house maybe and make the investment then when I can put more work into things, and enjoy the setup more?

By the way, I do have a BDP-S6700 player, but I put it in the bedroom on the 1080p. In the living room trying to keep all devices other then cable box, and AppleTV to native 4k and HDR support to take full advantage of the TV.

Thanks again for the help! I know I wrote a lot, but I wanted to try and cover everything to be clear.
BOSTON-HD is offline  
post #117 of 525 Old 12-27-2016, 10:52 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any comments on the quality of the sound via Bluetooth connectivity? I have a Sony HT-C380 soundbar with hdmi inputs (1 hdmi arc) and analog input in my room but my monitor which is connected to my pc is an Asus MX279H. If I buy this S6700, I'm planning to hook the audio up via bluetooth 'cause I have to buy a DAC for me to be able to connect the audio from the coaxial of the S6700 to the soundbar.
rennvale is offline  
post #118 of 525 Old 12-27-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MacinMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,969
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennvale View Post
Any comments on the quality of the sound via Bluetooth connectivity? I have a Sony HT-C380 soundbar with hdmi inputs (1 hdmi arc) and analog input in my room but my monitor which is connected to my pc is an Asus MX279H. If I buy this S6700, I'm planning to hook the audio up via bluetooth 'cause I have to buy a DAC for me to be able to connect the audio from the coaxial of the S6700 to the soundbar.

To answer your question, I tried pairing the Sony BDP-S6700 with a Vizio 2.0 sound bar model SB3820-C6 and the player would not pair. While the sound bar showed up in the devices list, the player was unable to connect. I'm not sure if the Sony is looking for something specific when pairing, however I can tell you the sound bar's bluetooth works as it pairs with an iOS device when put into pairing mode.

Hope this gives you some idea of what you were looking for.
MacinMan is offline  
post #119 of 525 Old 12-27-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wilbur_the_goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Have there been any people having disc issues with this unit? I picked up the 3700 today, popped in Disney WOW (the calibration blu-ray), and after the initial Disney castle intro, I get nothing. Other BluRay discs work, and the WOW BD works perfectly on my Oppo BDP-93.
wilbur_the_goose is offline  
post #120 of 525 Old 12-27-2016, 08:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
To answer your question, I tried pairing the Sony BDP-S6700 with a Vizio 2.0 sound bar model SB3820-C6 and the player would not pair. While the sound bar showed up in the devices list, the player was unable to connect. I'm not sure if the Sony is looking for something specific when pairing, however I can tell you the sound bar's bluetooth works as it pairs with an iOS device when put into pairing mode.

Hope this gives you some idea of what you were looking for.

Hmm maybe it's looking for a Sony product but thanks for checking! I think it would be best to just connect physically. I wonder if using a DAC to convert the audio to analog would work, quality wise.
rennvale is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
S1700

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off