Sony UHPH1 Premium Audio and Video Player (2016) - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 225Likes

post #91 of 467 Old 06-27-2016, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I test drove this SONY UHP-H1 Blu-ray player today at the Best-Buy Magnolia store. It up converted the 1080p movie "Enders Game" up to near 4k and sent it to a JVC DLA X550R 4k "E Shift" projector, projecting onto a 92 inch white screen. The two scenes I focused on were the team contest in the circle dome and the end battle scene. The SONY player did a great job upconverting the 1080P signal and the JVC picture was stunning. Excellent fine detail, color and the JVC BLACKS were magnificent. The audio was also exceptional; great channel separation, detailed surround sound. I then took the exact same movie and had them play the same scenes through an OPPO 105D in their second theater. The signal was sent to a genuine 4K SONY VPL-VW665ES and thrown onto a 120 inch gray screen.

Having owned two SONY 11080P projectors, I am a SONY guy, however in all honesty I liked the image the JVC ersatz 4K projector threw using this new SONY Blu-ray player, better than the genuine SONY 4K projector via the OPPO 105D. Unexpectedly the colors were more vibrant, the blacks were MUCH deeper and richer on the JVC over the SONY pj. The only difference I could see in the SONY PJ image that was better than the JVC was some fine detail: the pores on Harrison Ford's face and the tattoo on Ben Kingsley's face, which the salesmen and I attributed to the Darbee processor. In every other instance the JVC picture, using this new SONY Blu-ray player was better. If you added a Darbee Darbee to the SONY - JVC pj combination I believe the JVC'S picture would rival or surpass that of the SONY pj in every regard and it pains me to admit this (

Like I said, I'm a SONY pj guy, but the JVC, SONY UHP-H1 combination floored me as to how good it looked and sounded. By the way, I also have an older OPPO DVD player in my system that I use for audio CD'S.

The SONY UHP-H1 also felt solid and substantial as opposed to the cheap feeling, dreck Blu-ray players SONY has released over the last few years.

I own a SONY BDP 590S that has been incredibly reliable and served me very well up to this present time. Would I consider this new SONY Blu-ray payer as a replacement? Possibly, but as others have mentioned it isn't a UHD 4K player, and the price point is high. That said, if your in the market for a 4K upconverting 1080P Blu-ray player to tide you over until OPPO, SONY or ? comes up with a genuine 4K backwards compatible UHD disk player, this SONY player is a decent fiscal alternative to an OPPO 103D or 105D. However, like some have already mentioned, there is no way I would buy either OPPO 1080P player at the point because EVERYTHING is moving to 4K UHD and above. And while OPPO does hold its resale value better than other brands, once reliable new 4K UHD players hit the market, all 1080P players are going to plummet in resale value. So this SONY player may be the way to go for those in the market.

I hope this review, and my observations prove helpful.
foghorn2, IIDexII, L30Z3N and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 467 Old 06-28-2016, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 View Post
I test drove this SONY UHP-H1 Blu-ray player today at the Best-Buy Magnolia store. It up converted the 1080p movie "Enders Game" up to near 4k and sent it to a JVC DLA X550R 4k "E Shift" projector, projecting onto a 92 inch white screen. The two scenes I focused on were the team contest in the circle dome and the end battle scene. The SONY player did a great job upconverting the 1080P signal and the JVC picture was stunning. Excellent fine detail, color and the JVC BLACKS were magnificent. The audio was also exceptional; great channel separation, detailed surround sound. I then took the exact same movie and had them play the same scenes through an OPPO 105D in their second theater. The signal was sent to a genuine 4K SONY VPL-VW665ES and thrown onto a 120 inch gray screen.

Having owned two SONY 11080P projectors, I am a SONY guy, however in all honesty I liked the image the JVC ersatz 4K projector threw using this new SONY Blu-ray player, better than the genuine SONY 4K projector via the OPPO 105D. Unexpectedly the colors were more vibrant, the blacks were MUCH deeper and richer on the JVC over the SONY pj. The only difference I could see in the SONY PJ image that was better than the JVC was some fine detail: the pores on Harrison Ford's face and the tattoo on Ben Kingsley's face, which the salesmen and I attributed to the Darbee processor. In every other instance the JVC picture, using this new SONY Blu-ray player was better. If you added a Darbee Darbee to the SONY - JVC pj combination I believe the JVC'S picture would rival or surpass that of the SONY pj in every regard and it pains me to admit this (

Like I said, I'm a SONY pj guy, but the JVC, SONY UHP-H1 combination floored me as to how good it looked and sounded. By the way, I also have an older OPPO DVD player in my system that I use for audio CD'S.

The SONY UHP-H1 also felt solid and substantial as opposed to the cheap feeling, dreck Blu-ray players SONY has released over the last few years.

I own a SONY BDP 590S that has been incredibly reliable and served me very well up to this present time. Would I consider this new SONY Blu-ray payer as a replacement? Possibly, but as others have mentioned it isn't a UHD 4K player, and the price point is high. That said, if your in the market for a 4K upconverting 1080P Blu-ray player to tide you over until OPPO, SONY or ? comes up with a genuine 4K backwards compatible UHD disk player, this SONY player is a decent fiscal alternative to an OPPO 103D or 105D. However, like some have already mentioned, there is no way I would buy either OPPO 1080P player at the point because EVERYTHING is moving to 4K UHD and above. And while OPPO does hold its resale value better than other brands, once reliable new 4K UHD players hit the market, all 1080P players are going to plummet in resale value. So this SONY player may be the way to go for those in the market.

I hope this review, and my observations prove helpful.

Thanks for you review, but quite honestly, you really can't compare BD players using 2 different setups. Was everything set up as close as possible on both players and projectors? Being a Magnolia/BB store, I really don't think so.
post #93 of 467 Old 06-29-2016, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Curious to know if it will play 5.1 channel flac and dsd Gapless from network.As well as bluray folder/iso or dvd folder/iso?

Mains: Swan diva 6.1 Center: Swan diva C3 Surrounds: Swan Diva 4.1 Sourround Back: Dayton Audio ME825W Sub: SVS SB-2000 x 2 Front And Rear Top Speakers: SpeakerCraft AIM 8 TWO Series 2 PreAmp : AV-8802a/Parasound P5 Amps: Outlaw 7200\ATI 2505 Transport :Oppo 205 UHD Display:Sony XBR85X900F Turntable:project audio debut carbon esprit sb beatles 1964
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 467 Old 07-01-2016, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is the streamingapp Qobuz integrated? Can the integrated bluetooth receive music or only send?
post #95 of 467 Old 07-03-2016, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 701
I just purchased this for an audio player (with it's Blu ray capabilities a modern convenience) and so far I am happy with my purchase. Set up was easy and after going through the menus saw that it was already set up to play DVD-A and SACDs along with BR--The only thing I changed was a DSD setting.

Played a few scenes from the Jurassic Park Lost World Blu ray we say last night on the S5100 and want to explore the differences (if any) later. That said, it was GREAT being able to play Speaking in Tongues (DVD-A/Dual Disk} by Talking Heads and Dire Straights Brother in Arms (Sacd), along with Pink Floyd's Endless River again on one player.
aaronwt, foghorn2 and auronihilist like this.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 07-03-2016 at 04:57 PM.
post #96 of 467 Old 07-03-2016, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Still MSRP, waiting for it to go down
post #97 of 467 Old 07-03-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah. Me too except I've been waiting for a player cheaper than $500 for a while...I decided to jump while looking for a new tv.
post #98 of 467 Old 07-04-2016, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Can this player do native DSD D/A conversion (like the Oppo)? Or does it convert to PCM first?

I'm interested in this player for its 2 channel SACD playback via its analog outs.
post #99 of 467 Old 07-04-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post
Still MSRP, waiting for it to go down
Yeah, $299 seems more appropriate given there is no UHD Blu-ray support.
post #100 of 467 Old 07-05-2016, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Bought this to hold me over until more 4K players become available.
I'm blown away at how well this Sony upscales 1080p Blu ray's to 4K. I have a Vizio P65 and Avitar, Life of Pi Blu Ray's look amazing.
I haven't had much time but I'm looking forward to testing the audio capabilities on the Sony UHP-H1.
post #101 of 467 Old 07-05-2016, 10:35 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9972 Post(s)
Liked: 6630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulf1 View Post
Bought this to hold me over until more 4K players become available.
I'm blown away at how well this Sony upscales 1080p Blu ray's to 4K. I have a Vizio P65 and Avitar, Life of Pi Blu Ray's look amazing.
I haven't had much time but I'm looking forward to testing the audio capabilities on the Sony UHP-H1.
Wait until you see the actual UHD BD of Life of Pi with HDR. The upscaled BD doesn't come anywhere close.
Paulf1 likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #102 of 467 Old 07-07-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Last night, I was experimenting with this unit, and I discovered that I could stream videos through it with my iphone without using Apple TV. I thought this was a pretty cool feature. Tonight, I will try and play music from a USB drive. This may be the best blu-ray player on the market for its price. Those who think it is overpriced are simply wrong.
post #103 of 467 Old 07-08-2016, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I tried the using the USB port for music and it had no problem playing all files up to 192/24 sampling rate. The only problem was I also own the Bryston BDP-2 digital player, and the Sony UHPH-1 sounded like a toy by comparison. Nevertheless, this is still an excellent blu-ray player.
post #104 of 467 Old 07-08-2016, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 84
"The only problem was I also own the Bryston BDP-2 digital player and the Sony UHP-H1 sounded like a toy by comparison."

Interesting. But I can't help but wonder if a volume level-matched blind test was administered between the Bryston and the Sony if you would still arrive at the same conclusion.

Audiophile fanboy beliefs are based on myth, superstition and ego.
post #105 of 467 Old 07-08-2016, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auronihilist View Post
"The only problem was I also own the Bryston BDP-2 digital player and the Sony UHP-H1 sounded like a toy by comparison."

Interesting. But I can't help but wonder if a volume level-matched blind test was administered between the Bryston and the Sony if you would still arrive at the same conclusion.
There was no need for a volume level matched blind test. The sonic differences were immediate and so wide, it was no contest. It wasn't even close.
post #106 of 467 Old 07-08-2016, 09:54 AM

"There was no need for a volume level matched blind test. The sonic differences were immediate and so wide, it was no contest. It wasn't even close."

That's a 'sighted-evaluation'. I used to make the same comparisons years ago between various devices before I learned that my own expectation bias was skewing the results. I used to think that CD Players and speaker cables sounded differently. Well, usually they do in a sighted-evaluation. I'll bet the your expensive Bryston and the less-expensive Sony actually sound the same.

Here's a good read:
http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/0...o-product.html

post #107 of 467 Old 07-08-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
"There was no need for a volume level matched blind test. The sonic differences were immediate and so wide, it was no contest. It wasn't even close."

That's a 'sighted-evaluation'. I used to make the same comparisons years ago between various devices before I learned that my own expectation bias was skewing the results. I used to think that CD Players and speaker cables sounded differently. Well, usually they do in a sighted-evaluation. I'll bet the your expensive Bryston and the less-expensive Sony actually sound the same.

Here's a good read:
http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/0...o-product.html
Sorry, but you are speaking conjecture. I am speaking facts as I own both units. The Bryston and the Sony DO NOT sound the same. I think the fact that the Bryston has a better power supply, only does one thing and has balanced outputs helps considerably.
post #108 of 467 Old 07-08-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, the wires, power supply and the quality of the air in the device and will make your digital files sound better.

And a living Elvis just appeared on my TV.
post #109 of 467 Old 07-08-2016, 12:56 PM

"Sorry, but you are speaking conjecture."

Wow, proven scientific testing becomes 'conjecture'. Okay.

I used to 'believe' like you.
foghorn2 likes this.

post #110 of 467 Old 07-08-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post
Yes, the wires, power supply and the quality of the air in the device and will make your digital files sound better.

And a living Elvis just appeared on my TV.
Quote:
"Sorry, but you are speaking conjecture."

Wow, proven scientific testing becomes 'conjecture'. Okay.

I used to 'believe' like you.
If you guys are looking for an argument or debate, you will not get it from me. If it were close, you would need a double blind test, but again, this was not even close. Just keep your opinions and lets leave this topic alone.
post #111 of 467 Old 07-08-2016, 04:09 PM

There is no argument seeking here, it is just the sharing of accurate information (based on blind-testing) regarding the sighted comparison of two different DACs, that's all. Anyway, enjoy the music.
CruelInventions likes this.

post #112 of 467 Old 07-08-2016, 07:01 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 9972 Post(s)
Liked: 6630
So how does the UHPH1 comapre to the S6500 or S6700? Both of those also have SACD playback with DSD bitstreaming. But of course no DVD-A playback.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #113 of 467 Old 07-08-2016, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Well I tried the using the USB port for music and it had no problem playing all files up to 192/24 sampling rate. The only problem was I also own the Bryston BDP-2 digital player, and the Sony UHPH-1 sounded like a toy by comparison. Nevertheless, this is still an excellent blu-ray player.
I am not sure what you are reporting here, but if we are talking about playing something like an SACD or DVD-A on either player shouldn't it sound identical? Btw, I am not trying to debate, just wrap my head around what I thought I knew.

For the record, I also listened to quite a few DVD-As in the last couple of nights and really do like this player for what I paid for it as well--Still haven't watched a
bluray though....
post #114 of 467 Old 07-09-2016, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post
I am not sure what you are reporting here, but if we are talking about playing something like an SACD or DVD-A on either player shouldn't it sound identical? Btw, I am not trying to debate, just wrap my head around what I thought I knew.

For the record, I also listened to quite a few DVD-As in the last couple of nights and really do like this player for what I paid for it as well--Still haven't watched a
bluray though....
The only thing reported here is how the unit sounds with music through its USB drive. And, for the others insisting on a double blind test, the Bryston BDP2 does not have a D/A converter. It's just a digital player that you connect to a D/A converter.
post #115 of 467 Old 07-09-2016, 07:32 AM

"And, for the others insisting on a double blind test, the Bryston BDP-2 does not have a D/A converter."

No, the player doesn't have a built-in DAC, but of course it still needs one plugged into the back. What type of external DAC are you using?

post #116 of 467 Old 07-09-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is this, the Steve Hoffman Forums ?

GET A ROOM!

I mean, hop over to SHF or AudioKarma
gadgtfreek likes this.
post #117 of 467 Old 07-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I currently have a BDP-S770 (retired) and a BDP-S790.

After wasting the better part of the past year over at Computer Audiophile (which I'm not), all I've came away with are streaming Foobar2000 via Open Home LAN playback and HQ Player.

I've no interest in DVD-Audio.

What I'm actually looking for is a quality BDP that will stream multi-channel DSD (fs64, fs128 and fs256) and multi-channel FLAC files over my LAN. I will be quite happy if this player will do that. Will it?

Last edited by Iain-; 07-09-2016 at 10:15 AM.
post #118 of 467 Old 07-09-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post
What I'm actually looking for is a quality BDP that will stream multi-channel DSD (fs64, fs128 and fs256) and multi-channel FLAC files over my LAN.
AFAIK, only the Oppo players will do that.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #119 of 467 Old 07-09-2016, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
AFAIK, only the Oppo players will do that.

Kal, do you happen to know (or can find out) if this player, like the Oppo, can convert DSD directly to analog without converting to PCM first?
post #120 of 467 Old 07-09-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Kal, do you happen to know (or can find out) if this player, like the Oppo, can convert DSD directly to analog without converting to PCM first?
I believe they do but you will have to search the forums for confirmation. Sorry.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
sony uhp-h1 , usb-stick

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page