Xbox One S-UHD Blu-Ray Player Aug 2016 - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3686Likes

post #1591 of 2587 Old 02-12-2017, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpNinja View Post
Just last week. I think I have 40xp? There are no more tasks for me to accomplish to get more. It isn't the end of the world, I get I am low priority.
I am in "Ring 4" of the preview update as well and have received the direct bitstream beta. To turn it on go to Blu-ray setting and there is an option "let my receiver decode audio" that is a feature that the current beta offers. There is also a "Creators" update that started going out two weeks ago, I assume we will receive this beta when it is nearing completion.

There is also a "Microsoft Photos' beta that can be joined to receive some more points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 2587 Old 02-12-2017, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyko View Post
Anyone got a list of Ultra HD discs that doesn't work with Xbox One S? Just wanted to avoid buying them if is confirmed it doesn't work.

I got "Independence Day: Resurgence" and it won't load after passed the 20th century screen, i wonder if is a known issue on this disc. Others i got are working fine for now.
Initial copies of "Oblivion" & "Lucy" are not working either but can contact Universal to get replacement discs that work.
post #1593 of 2587 Old 02-12-2017, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyko View Post
Anyone got a list of Ultra HD discs that doesn't work with Xbox One S? Just wanted to avoid buying them if is confirmed it doesn't work.

I got "Independence Day: Resurgence" and it won't load after passed the 20th century screen, i wonder if is a known issue on this disc. Others i got are working fine for now.
I actually have this movie as well. When I first bought it I had no issues but tried it last night and couldn't get it to play at first. I thought it might of had something to do with the bitstream beta enabled option. I just popped it out and back in then force closed the blue ray appand it worked. First time I ever had issues with playing anything. Not sure what changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 2587 Old 02-12-2017, 07:08 AM
etp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Only two out of my large stack had play issues. One was a bad disk (took back to BB and exchanged it) and the other played the second time I inserted it.

ETP
post #1595 of 2587 Old 02-12-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp View Post
Only two out of my large stack had play issues. One was a bad disk (took back to BB and exchanged it) and the other played the second time I inserted it.
Yeah with my recent experience with independence day it is just making me wonder if it is related to software since it played fine the first time.
But as you said people seem to be able exchange discs and then it seems to work.
post #1596 of 2587 Old 02-12-2017, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had issues with Trolls. I couldn't get past the 20th century screen. I hit a button on the remote that took me to the movie screen. Once I backed out of that, I got to the disc menu and all was good from that point.
post #1597 of 2587 Old 02-12-2017, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Anyone having issues where the new Amazon video app won't output in 4k anymore? I was watching the Grand tour in 4k before, now I only get 1080p. Same setup as before...
post #1598 of 2587 Old 02-12-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5saladz View Post
Anyone having issues where the new Amazon video app won't output in 4k anymore? I was watching the Grand tour in 4k before, now I only get 1080p. Same setup as before...
I could not ever get any 4k content from Amazon. Thought it still needed an update.
post #1599 of 2587 Old 02-12-2017, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oarneb View Post
Yeah with my recent experience with independence day it is just making me wonder if it is related to software since it played fine the first time.
But as you said people seem to be able exchange discs and then it seems to work.
The Blu-Ray player app had an update about two weeks ago. I wonder if it is this new update causing 20th Century Fox discs from playing properly? I only have the Xbox One but plan on upgrading to the Xbox One S in the coming weeks.

Quote:
I could not ever get any 4k content from Amazon. Thought it still needed an update.
There was an update to the Amazon app a few weeks ago. It is called "Amazon Video" and has black background. I believe this one is 4K capable.
post #1600 of 2587 Old 02-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
Quote:
Just last week. I think I have 40xp? There are no more tasks for me to accomplish to get more. It isn't the end of the world, I get I am low priority.
I am in "Ring 4" of the preview update as well and have received the direct bitstream beta. To turn it on go to Blu-ray setting and there is an option "let my receiver decode audio" that is a feature that the current beta offers. There is also a "Creators" update that started going out two weeks ago, I assume we will receive this beta when it is nearing completion.

There is also a "Microsoft Photos' beta that can be joined to receive some more points.
This appeared to work for me! Will try a disc with Atmos tomorrow night. Yay!
post #1601 of 2587 Old 02-13-2017, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Any known issues with some 3D Blu-rays? I got the Hobbit Extended Trilogy in 3D and every time I insert the disc I don't get any signal sent to the TV. I have to remove the HDMI cable, reinsert it and only then I get image and sound. I have Underworld in 3D too but don't have any issues playing it.

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.
post #1602 of 2587 Old 02-13-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertoburn View Post
The Blu-Ray player app had an update about two weeks ago. I wonder if it is this new update causing 20th Century Fox discs from playing properly? I only have the Xbox One but plan on upgrading to the Xbox One S in the coming weeks.

There was an update to the Amazon app a few weeks ago. It is called "Amazon Video" and has black background. I believe this one is 4K capable.
Double checked and that is the only one I available. Even in the reviews people are complaining about no uhd. Not sure but still might be in the works.
post #1603 of 2587 Old 02-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Double checked and that is the only one I available. Even in the reviews people are complaining about no uhd. Not sure but still might be in the works.
Same here. Amazon on my xbox works only up to 1080p whereas on my TV app it goes up to 4k. I tested this flipping back and forth and I can definitely see the difference.
SuperFast3000GT likes this.
post #1604 of 2587 Old 02-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Same here. Amazon on my xbox works only up to 1080p whereas on my TV app it goes up to 4k. I tested this flipping back and forth and I can definitely see the difference.
What TV do you have

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #1605 of 2587 Old 02-13-2017, 07:25 PM

Got Bitstream working. Glitch with Atmos...had to restart a few times to get audio. There is lag in the sound with the Ghostbusters UHD, and I swear the output is less than normal. I watch around -35db at night and am -25db now.
post #1606 of 2587 Old 02-14-2017, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3472 Post(s)
Liked: 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post
Hi, with HDR unticked, XBOX One S will output 2160p REC.709 YCbCr 4:4:4 (no-HDR), to LG OLED 65E6 where I checked the signal with HD Linker:

Hi TEDDD. Given what looks to be a high understanding of all this stuff I want to hijack this thread real quick as I cannot seem to get a straight answer on the best way to do this. Currently have a B6 OLED and using the Xbox1S for 4k blu ray. Actually just got my B6 last week and I want to calibrate it. Have you done this? If so, what did you use? What picture mode on the B6 did you start with before calibrating? Again I know I'm hijacking this to a degree but I thought I'd ask as I haven't gotten answers elsewhere and this thread is pretty active. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Hi, your quote was missing some code: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post50395233

...so I haven't received any notification, no problem, I have just found your post.

I have calibrated 65E6, in HDR10, SDR, 3D and SDR with 3D LUT using eeColor 3D LUT Box. (For SDR I used ISF slot with normal colorspace and warm 2, for HDR10 the normal colorspace also used.)

About the results with eeColor I have posted here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post49623817

Using LG internal calibration controls, it has 2 and 20-Point Grayscale controls and 1-Point CMS (6-Axis). From the controls only Grayscale controls are working, the CMS controls it will work in measurements only but provide bad picture with real content or by verifying looking color reproduction patterns.

You can use the 20-Point Controls to get a perfect RGB balance and gamma tracking, but only Grayscale is not enough to provide you reference colors. LG has an issue in it's Color Gamut mapping, the Normal Gamut it has provides a close gamut coverage to REC.709 (a bit oversaturated) but the tracking of low end colors is expanded to larger coverage, this is something I haven't seen before, seems that the LG engineers haven't programmed well that, see what is happening when you measure the lower luminance levels...this picture shows a 20-Point Luminance Sweep @ 100% Saturation, starting from 100% until 5%. From 25% Luminance and below the colorspace coverage is larger, this will provide non-linear gradients or other problems with strange shades to real picture (example here). Usually that kind of measurements are ignored from the users which measure only a few color points to validate the post calibration results.

This is AGIF Image (Animated GIF), this may playback to all browsers.

This is APNG Image (Animated PNG), this will have animated only to browsers that support Animated PNG playback.

So using LG Internal controls you can calibrate the grayscale in SDR, 3D SDR or HDR10 mode. In DV mode the white balance controls are disabled.

If you want to get the best possible picture performance you have to use a 3D LUT Box (like eeColor 3D LUT Box which has the largest 3D LUT memory in the global market while it has the lowest price also), pre-calibrated only your 100% White of the LG (using the internal controls) and then let the other thousand color points to be measured by (LightSpace/CalMAN/DisplayCAL/ArgyllCMS) and from the thousand points it will be measured automatically, the 3D LUT correction will be generated for 65-Point Cube (274.625 Color Points). Here you can see a comparison of color points between internal controls of a display compared to 3d lut cube sizes of various 3D LUT devices.

Using 3D LUT you calibrate many different levels or saturation/hue/luminance, so your performance will be reference at any color, in 8-bit systems, the allocation of 17 nodes per component (17-Point Cube) proves that is best trade off between display/meter/processor hardware / measuring time / display stability and overall quality, that's why that size is commonly used at pro industry. Now by ultra fast meters like Klein K-10A, 21-Point Cube requires less time than before (about 2H 30M in total; with 0.5 sec of delay before each patch read), and it has become the standard used size (in post-production).

The most important is the total volumetric accuracy for the best final results, consumer displays has not so linear tracking to all it's areas, so a large cube with a profiling sequence that 17 or 21-Point Cube (4.913 or 9.261 Color Points) grid-based with equal spaced RGB values will cover all potential colors equally and give the most accurate correction.

Ever Dolby Monitor which designed to be reference needs 3D LUT profiling to meet the tight tolerance in color errors that required for critical color reproduction for movie grading in post-production facilities.

For example Dolby Monitor PRM-4200/4220 has 2x 65-Point 3D LUT Tables slots, same size like eeColor 3D LUT Box features (which has 6 memories).

HDR with 3D LUT is not possible because you can't bypass the LG's internal gamut/tone mapping. (you can't bypass it using any other consumer display also)

Just the above is the best solution for reference quality SDR pictures, because REC.709 (blu-ray) is a colorspace which LG is covering 100% calibrated and cover obviously blu-ray's mastered luminance also (100-120nits).

BTW sorry from XBOX users for this long post, I will post in a few minutes something interesting for X-Box One S users, to bring conversation back to topic related stuff.

If anywant want to ask something please quote me to another thread related with calibration.
Azreil24 likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box - P/G: DVDO AVLab TPG
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5

Last edited by ConnecTEDDD; 02-15-2017 at 02:38 AM.
post #1607 of 2587 Old 02-14-2017, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Before some days I wanted to test what colorspace/bit depth XBOX One S is outputting when you playback a Blu-Ray/UHD HDR/SDR Game, so I used HD Linker to check the details of each signal XBOX One S was sending to an LG OLED 65E6.

@ XBOX One S Video Settings, it has 2 options, the Recommended which output 16-235 (TV/Video Legal Levels), and the other for Monitor out which will output 0-255 (Pc/Data Levels).

The correct option there for TV's is the recommended.

When you playback a SDR Blu-Ray movie with XBOX One S, it has different output.

For example when you have previously selected 8bit colordepth, it's outputting 2160p24 RGB-Video 8bit.

If you have previously selected 10 or 12bit colordepth then always it's outputting 2160p YCbCr 4:4:4 10bit:

When you playback an HDR UHD Movie then it's outputting always 2160p24 RGB-Video 10bit HDR REC.2020 (it doesn't matter if you have selected 10 or 12bit):

When you will untick that you have an HDR compatible TV and you playback an UHD-HDR Movie then it will output 2160p24 YCbCr 4:4:4 10bit REC.709:

Now for SDR games, I used FIFA17 (full), Battlefield1 (demo), NBA17 (demo) for that test.

2160p60 RGB-Video (uncompressed) REC.709 8bit when you had 8bit colordepth selected from the XBOX Video Settings:

2160p60 YCbCr 4:2:0 REC.709 10bit when you had 10bit colordepth selected from the XBOX Video Settings:

2160p60 YCbCr 4:2:0 REC.709 12bit when you had 12bit colordepth selected from the XBOX Video Settings:

For a non-HDR game, RGB-Video 8-bit output will be better visually from 4:2:0 10/12bit.

A classic example from wikipedia can show the different between chroma subsampling compression methods:

So the recommended output settings can be:

12bit for SDR Blu-Ray
12bit for HDR UHD Movies (It will output 10bit)
12bit for HDR Games
8bit for SDR Games

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration Software: LightSpace DPS / CalMAN ColorChecker / HCFR
S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, ControlCAL
post #1608 of 2587 Old 02-14-2017, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 34
That's really interesting. My set up is an Xbox One S into an Epson LS10000 (non-HDR, fauxK PJ). I watch a mix of 4K UHD discs, upscaled Blu-ray and play games on the PJ, all handled by the Xbox. I currently have video outputting RGB and it's 8bit 4K.

Is that the best option for my set up?

Atmos 5.2.2 setup: Silver Ticket 100" screen, Epson LS10000, Denon AVR X2200, Xbox One X.
post #1609 of 2587 Old 02-14-2017, 11:27 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9540 Post(s)
Liked: 6229
So I have the Billy Lynns Long Halftime Walk UHD BD. And it's playing in my XBOne S. The XBOne S is reporting that it's playing at 60fps(59.94) like it should be . Since this is the first UHD BD title at 60fps. And it's in HDR like it's supposed to be. Didn't someone post earlier that the XBOne S wouldn't be able to play this title?

I only watched around ten minutes of it from my Sammy UHD BD player before trying it in the XBOne S. So I can't really compare them yet.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1610 of 2587 Old 02-14-2017, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Got Bitstream working. Glitch with Atmos...had to restart a few times to get audio. There is lag in the sound with the Ghostbusters UHD, and I swear the output is less than normal. I watch around -35db at night and am -25db now.
I also noticed that output sound level was lower than what I get when I watch on PS4 Pro with Atmos. Bass seems a bit muted as well. I tried Purge non-UHD Blu-Ray (new release) that is Atmos and using bitsteam direct and it played without the sound lag issues like I saw in The Martian. Hopefully the final release of the XBox One update will cure these issues.
post #1611 of 2587 Old 02-14-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab2 View Post
CAN anyone confirm if we should select 8 or 10 bitcolir if we have a 10 bit panel? I have a ks8000 and there been some conflicting advice. I also run my Comcast tv cable through my S. wondering if this is better than a direct hdmi to the tv from the stb.
Hi, Look that post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post50740945

@ the end of the post I have recommended some settings.

post #1612 of 2587 Old 02-14-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So I have the Billy Lynns Long Halftime Walk UHD BD. And it's playing in my XBOne S. The XBOne S is reporting that it's playing at 60fps(59.94) like it should be . Since this is the first UHD BD title at 60fps. And it's in HDR like it's supposed to be. Didn't someone post earlier that the XBOne S wouldn't be able to play this title?

I only watched around ten minutes of it from my Sammy UHD BD player before trying it in the XBOne S. So I can't really compare them yet.
Hi, yes, you remember well, I posted before some days about this, here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post49779193

''Currently XBox One S is outputting @ 2160p HDR only RGB 16-235, so it will not possible to playback this movie, because 2160p60 RGB 16-235 10bit it's over 18Gbps....it's 22.88Gbps.

They have to add an option to output 2160p60 4:2:0 10bit via firmware update to be able to view 2160p60 movies.''

Since without an available 2160p60 title (the time I posted) it was impossible for me to test what is happening with XBOX One S output, and after you have confirmed that you can watch it without problems, this means that XBOX One S is playing it @ 2160p YCbCr 4:2:0 10bit with HDR, because as Stecey Spears is saying to this video (13:48); by design it can't output 4:2:2.

I will order that title also and report back after testing with HD Linker the incoming signal info, like I did 4 posts above.
aaronwt likes this.

post #1613 of 2587 Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, Look that post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post50740945

@ the end of the post I have recommended some settings.
What LG TV did you use?
post #1614 of 2587 Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, yes, you remember well, I posted before some days about this, here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post49779193

''Currently XBox One S is outputting @ 2160p HDR only RGB 16-235, so it will not possible to playback this movie, because 2160p60 RGB 16-235 10bit it's over 18Gbps....it's 22.88Gbps.

They have to add an option to output 2160p60 4:2:0 10bit via firmware update to be able to view 2160p60 movies.''

Since without an available 2160p60 title (the time I posted) it was impossible for me to test what is happening with XBOX One S output, and after you have confirmed that you can watch it without problems, this means that XBOX One S is playing it @ 2160p YCbCr 4:2:0 10bit with HDR, because as Stecey Spears is saying to this video (13:48); by design it can't output 4:2:2.

I will order that title also and report back after testing with HD Linker the incoming signal info, like I did 4 posts above.
Thanks
post #1615 of 2587 Old 02-15-2017, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
How can you even hear that there is lag at those volumes? -35? That's almost like muting it.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #1616 of 2587 Old 02-15-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
What LG TV did you use?
Hi, I used LG OLED 65E6, the HD Linker is examining the output signal of the XBOX One S, so the TV if it's HDR (HDMI 2.0a Input) capable it doesn't matter what it's brand/model.

post #1617 of 2587 Old 02-15-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracode View Post
I also noticed that output sound level was lower than what I get when I watch on PS4 Pro with Atmos. Bass seems a bit muted as well. I tried Purge non-UHD Blu-Ray (new release) that is Atmos and using bitsteam direct and it played without the sound lag issues like I saw in The Martian. Hopefully the final release of the XBox One update will cure these issues.
So last night, I used my regular Blu Ray player and felt I was still having output issues. I can't think of a reason why as they only have the receiver in common.

I won't get to monkey around until the weekend. But I did play with my receiver settings with no luck.

Good idea to try a regular Blu Ray. That will be something I try.
post #1618 of 2587 Old 02-15-2017, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 5659 Post(s)
Liked: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
How can you even hear that there is lag at those volumes? -35? That's almost like muting it.
We listen at -35 in bed all the time. Now <-50 would be difficult to hear.
post #1619 of 2587 Old 02-15-2017, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not sure if this was posted here, but worth noting, if we can get enough votes, MSFT might consider Dolby Vision to be added to Xbox One S, I'm sure the processor on Xbox one should be enough for it.

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/36...lby-vision-hdr

65E6P + X4300H + Polk LSiM 707 (F) + Polk LSiM 706c (C) + 703 (R) + Oppo 203 + ATV 4K
55EA9800 + ATV 4th Gen.
post #1620 of 2587 Old 02-15-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
We listen at -35 in bed all the time. Now <-50 would be difficult to hear.
That seems way too low. I never go lower than -17 and I only go that low for my wife. Everything would be a tiny whisper at -35.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu-ray , epson 6040ub , upscaling 4k , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page