Xbox One S-UHD Blu-Ray Player Aug 2016 - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3686Likes

post #1621 of 2586 Old 02-15-2017, 11:42 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9427 Post(s)
Liked: 6110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
That seems way too low. I never go lower than -17 and I only go that low for my wife. Everything would be a tiny whisper at -35.
Doesn't that depend on the the receiver and setup? With my Denon receivers I've used, -20dB is super loud and I would rarely go higher than that. With normal volume level I use around -30dB. But even when it's quiet -40dB or lower would be no problem.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2586 Old 02-15-2017, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Doesn't that depend on the the receiver and setup? With my Denon receivers I've used, -20dB is super loud and I would rarely go higher than that. With normal volume level I use around -30dB. But even when it's quiet -40dB or lower would be no problem.
Yep, my Yamaha at -15 will be LOUD, at -35 is our usual listening volumes, and -45 when trying to be quiet. I will say the XB1S on 7.1 Bitstream is much quieter than Dolby/DTS.
post #1623 of 2586 Old 02-15-2017, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
Hi, yes, you remember well, I posted before some days about this, here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post49779193

[I]''Currently XBox One S is outputting @ 2160p HDR only RGB 16-235, so it will not possible to playback this movie, because 2160p60 RGB 16-235 10bit it's over 18Gbps....it's 22.88Gbps.
I can confirm that the UHD for Billy Lynn does work on the Xbox One S in 60fps and with HDR. The only issue I experienced was a slight handshake error causing the HDR to not initially appear. After restarting the TV, it worked fine. This has actually been an issue with all Sony UHD discs thus far. But back to Billy Lynn, watched the entire film last night without any errors using 10bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 2586 Old 02-15-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It does, but those numbers seem to be extreme to me.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #1625 of 2586 Old 02-15-2017, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
That seems way too low. I never go lower than -17 and I only go that low for my wife. Everything would be a tiny whisper at -35.
I have a pretty large room. I have the default receiver volume set to -42dB so it will never jolt anyone awake. I swear I watched movies around -40dB, but this week have been -30dB. I go back and forth with Dynamic Volume...I swear the Xbox is quieter, though. Maybe the Blu Ray player was more of a mental thing?
post #1626 of 2586 Old 02-15-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 4010 Post(s)
Liked: 3183
My Yamaha volume seems to depend on the time of day.
Normal evening viewing, depending on the source, -20 to -30.
After midnight, can usually run at -30 to -40.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #1627 of 2586 Old 02-15-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked: 795
So I'm watching a movie via bitstreaming and audio video is out of sync. Any ideas how to fix?
post #1628 of 2586 Old 02-16-2017, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
So I'm watching a movie via bitstreaming and audio video is out of sync. Any ideas how to fix?
Do you currently have any audio sync settings enabled. Even the auto ones?
post #1629 of 2586 Old 02-16-2017, 07:15 AM

So I was looking at the update that is in the works and even the Alpha testers don't have it yet but apparently there will now be an option in the general audio settings to set your audio to dolby atmos all the time. That is just from what I read don't quote me to much not sure if that is 100 percent accurate.

That is going to be awesome if true though.
post #1630 of 2586 Old 02-16-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
It does, but those numbers seem to be extreme to me.
Last night I threw in The Wolverine. I watched it at -42dB with Dynamic Eq on and Dynamic Volume at Light (Denon 2200 with Audyssey).

I then turned of DV and listened at -30dB, which worked fine. I then turned of DE because I felt the surrounds were drowning out the front LCR and boosted the sub 3dB. While I preferred the bass sound with DE on, the overall surround experience was MUCH better with both off and the sub boosted a bit.

Until I get a better sub, I will stick with this set up (both off and the sound closer to -30dB). I am sure there will be bass heavy or more dynamic movies in which I have to turn one back on during the week when kids are sleeping.

This was with my Blu Ray and not the Xbox. I only have a couple of UHD and since my projector is 1080, I am only interested in it for Atmos.
post #1631 of 2586 Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 241
@HarpNinja per the Denon thread here I learned that if we turn on any sort of Dynamic Volume processing it will affect the Atmos sound. I normally watch all movies with DV OFF but had watched the new Bourne flick with DTS:X with DV at Light and while it sounded very full and excellent i couldnt hear any of my front top atmos speakers. Brought this concern to the denon forum and thats what they mentioned. I leave the Dynamic EQ on with the "reference" setting and I noticed when I turn that off my system sounds very weak and not as engaging. fwiw.
HarpNinja likes this.
post #1632 of 2586 Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
@HarpNinja per the Denon thread here I learned that if we turn on any sort of Dynamic Volume processing it will affect the Atmos sound. I normally watch all movies with DV OFF but had watched the new Bourne flick with DTS:X with DV at Light and while it sounded very full and excellent i couldnt hear any of my front top atmos speakers. Brought this concern to the denon forum and thats what they mentioned. I leave the Dynamic EQ on with the "reference" setting and I noticed when I turn that off my system sounds very weak and not as engaging. fwiw.
The surrounds/Atmos speakers get quite a bit louder with DE. In my case, they were drowning out my fronts and some of the sound effects sounded really distracting going from quite to loud as they went through the speakers. I wish there was the option to just add DE to the sub and/or the fronts would see a shift in EQ to match.
wmarkw likes this.
post #1633 of 2586 Old 02-16-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpNinja View Post
The surrounds/Atmos speakers get quite a bit louder with DE. In my case, they were drowning out my fronts and some of the sound effects sounded really distracting going from quite to loud as they went through the speakers. I wish there was the option to just add DE to the sub and/or the fronts would see a shift in EQ to match.
My personal preference (I have a Denon as well) is I don't want anything processing the sound more for low volumes. I want to crank that baby and get the full experience. The idea that it manipulates the sound so I can hear the surrounds or what have you at a lower volume I think muddies the water. At the end of the day though it really is what sounds best to your own ear.
post #1634 of 2586 Old 02-16-2017, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
I feel it is a bug in the beta update since the sound gets back in sync if you pause the movie or reverse a few seconds and start playing again. Sound doesn't go out of sync if bitstream direct is turned off. I tried various settings on the receiver (including turning off lip-synch settings), but it appears not related to the issue. Hopefully we'll get another beta update with a newer build prior to release in April.
post #1635 of 2586 Old 02-16-2017, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So far no issues to report here since getting the update.
Tried a few Atmos movies without a problem and my 3050 lit up and showed Atmos.
Tried one DTS:X title it also works fine with the Bitstream Passthrough option via the Insider update showing as DTS:X MA on the 3050.

EDIT:
Just finished watching Doctor Who: Dark Water/Death In Heaven 3D (3D + Atmos audio).
There were times I felt the Atmos was used nicely with a few missed opportunities.
To be honest though I felt the best parts were the opening and closing credits (the time vortex tunnel sequences).
Quite a number of audio dropouts when playing this through the X1S. Seemed like the drive struggled with it at times as it could actually get audible when the sound would drop out and be heard seeking on the disc.

Last edited by Kelendral; 02-17-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Add more information since there were no posts in the interim
post #1636 of 2586 Old 02-19-2017, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Xbox One S + Onkyo NR646 + KS8000

I don't know where to start. I'm mostly enjoying the gear, but has required a lot of troubleshooting and configuring. And I'm still having issues.

Any info about these issues would be appreciated:

1. NR646 shows "Resolution Err" often when Xbox switches (like from menu to Blu-ray previews, then when the movie starts, etc.). The KS8000 will always say "A HDR video is playing", but sometimes it's not working right - the colors are obviously dull. For example, the Lego Movie menu sometimes looks dull - the Lego Movie title is brown/orange instead of cherry red (which I assume it should be red). But, I can start playback and then go back to the menu and it will be red. Then, I'll resume the movie, go back to the top menu and it will be orange again. It's not consistent as far as I can tell. It might be orange three times in a row, then red once, etc.

2. When I play an old Blu-ray (non-4K), the KS8000 is still in HDR mode. I'm guessing this is intentional - that the Xbox is upscaling the Blu-ray? Is that recommended? It seems like the image might look a little better, but I notice chunks of frames dropped occasionally. Because of that, I think I'd prefer it to just send a good old 1080p SDR signal to the TV. But do I have to go into the Xbox settings and turn off HDR and 4K every time?

3. The Xbox menu sounds have a crunchy digital distortion (kind of gritty ring modulation sound), when it seems like it should be a clean synth sound effect. It sounds like a bitrate or sample rate playback mismatch or something. I am curious if anyone else has experienced that.

4. The default audio settings were 7.1, but I only have 5.1 so I chose bitstream. I don't understand why I had to do that, or why I have to choose between DTS or DD? Doesn't the media (Netflix, Blu-ray, etc.) and AVR determine what audio format is played? Very confusing.

5. Probably more that I have forgotten in the time it took me to write all that...

The Lego Movie looked pretty good in 4K HDR Blu-ray. The Netflix show, Abstract, looks pretty good. Some downloaded HDR samples and YouTube looks pretty good. I was really blown away by a Hisense 55H8C, but I returned it because it wasn't true HDR and had it's own clunky problems (looks great though). The KS8000 looks pretty perfect sometimes, but I'm not completely wowed by it for some reason. I probably just need to realize that most content just looks good and realistic, opposed to neon and flashy.
post #1637 of 2586 Old 02-20-2017, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelendral View Post
So far no issues to report here since getting the update.
Tried a few Atmos movies without a problem and my 3050 lit up and showed Atmos.
Tried one DTS:X title it also works fine with the Bitstream Passthrough option via the Insider update showing as DTS:X MA on the 3050.

EDIT:
Just finished watching Doctor Who: Dark Water/Death In Heaven 3D (3D + Atmos audio).
There were times I felt the Atmos was used nicely with a few missed opportunities.
To be honest though I felt the best parts were the opening and closing credits (the time vortex tunnel sequences).
Quite a number of audio dropouts when playing this through the X1S. Seemed like the drive struggled with it at times as it could actually get audible when the sound would drop out and be heard seeking on the disc.
Do you have the Vudu App? They have a free Atmos demo with 4 clips. It sounded great on my Roku but just hooked up Xbox One S. I knew Atmos wasn't available when playing discs but it looks like it's not available for streaming yet either. Am I correct on not being available for streaming?
post #1638 of 2586 Old 02-21-2017, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just seeing this Ted. Thank you very much for putting this together. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Denon x2300w
PS4 Pro
Sony UBP-X800
Apple TV4k
LG OLED65B6p
post #1639 of 2586 Old 02-21-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacbellguy View Post
Do you have the Vudu App? They have a free Atmos demo with 4 clips. It sounded great on my Roku but just hooked up Xbox One S. I knew Atmos wasn't available when playing discs but it looks like it's not available for streaming yet either. Am I correct on not being available for streaming?
I'll install the Vudu app after work and give it a shot but I think the Bitstream Passthrough is only for and very specific to the Bluray app.
I know for certain it does not work for their media player app. As such I would hazard a guess it also will not work for Vudu or any other apps except the Bluray app.
It would be nice if it was a configurable list. Whitelist an app for Bitstream Passthrough, then it gets to pass audio directly to your receiver (it is not, just wishing).
post #1640 of 2586 Old 02-21-2017, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I'll install the Vudu app after work and give it a shot but I think the Bitstream Passthrough is only for and very specific to the Bluray app.
I know for certain it does not work for their media player app. As such I would hazard a guess it also will not work for Vudu or any other apps except the Bluray app.
It would be nice if it was a configurable list. Whitelist an app for Bitstream Passthrough, then it gets to pass audio directly to your receiver (it is not, just wishing).
It sucks cause different consoles have different capabilities. My PS3 will play Atmos with regular Blu-rays but not Vudu streaming nor will it play UHD discs. Roku will play Atmos with Vudu streaming but doesn't play discs (duh). My new X-Box One will play UHD discs but won't play Atmos yet for streaming or discs.
post #1641 of 2586 Old 02-23-2017, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
It sucks cause different consoles have different capabilities. My PS3 will play Atmos with regular Blu-rays but not Vudu streaming nor will it play UHD discs. Roku will play Atmos with Vudu streaming but doesn't play discs (duh). My new X-Box One will play UHD discs but won't play Atmos yet for streaming or discs.
I feel your pain. I have come to the conclusion that to maintain my sanity, I need to revisit the circumstances that caused me to buy a device, and stop trying to squeeze more features out of my electronics gear than it was intended to provide.

I bought Apple TV so I could get access from the home theater to the music and photos on a Macmini attached to the home network. I guess I should not complain when the Apple TV won’t produce 4K videos.

I bought a second Roku when I learned that it would produce 4K images, but as you say it will not play DVD’s. I bought an Oppo 103 to watch DVD’s and get improved audio formats. Now the Oppo will not play UHD DVD’s. Gotta buy a 203 I guess.

I bought a $30 HDMI cable because the seller claimed it would….. no I don’t want to get started on the audio video interface that has hijacked the electronics industry while creating a new definition of the term planned obsolescence. Wait – I said I was not going to get started with that issue.

I bought the X-Box because my grandkids wanted to play games, and they said the Wii was out of style. They like the games. I think it is too much to expect that I would get the audio formats that I can get with the Oppo. Maybe someday Microsoft will come through with Atmos for other than a privileged few. Maybe someday: until then for the sake of my sanity, I am going to stop trying to get orange juice from a lemon.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #1642 of 2586 Old 02-23-2017, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone. I've been searching for an answer to this question and I was hoping someone could help me out.

I made a blunder about a year and a half ago and purchased a new 4K TV without HDR support (LG 60UF7300). While it doesn't support HDR, it does support HDMI ultra deep color on HDMI 1 (which my Xbox One S is hooked into), and under picture settings there's also an option to enable wide color gamut. This tells me (at least from my understanding) that while my TV doesn't support HDR, it does have a 10-bit panel.

My question is, even though I can't watch 4k UHD blurays with HDR, will I gain any sort of advantage/improvement in picture quality (even in the slightest bit) from the fact that my Xbox One S is outputting ultra deep color (10-bit) as opposed to 8-bit? Or is the bump in resolution the only thing my TV would have going for it (won't be surprised if this is the case). Thank you!
post #1643 of 2586 Old 02-23-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 5541 Post(s)
Liked: 5123
Based on the manual, the LG 60UF7300 support a deep color, not wide color gamut (DCI-P3, BT.2020). So while you will benefit some from 10-bit deep color it will not be a dramatic difference like a UHD 4k display.

Quote:
HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color:

- On: Support 4K @ 60 Hz (4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0)

- Off: Support 4K @ 60 Hz (4:2:0)

• If the device connected to Input Port also supports ULTRA HD Deep Color, your picture may be clearer.
post #1644 of 2586 Old 02-24-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
No bitstream pass-through for apps yet, just bluray.

As to the different capabilities for the same app across multiple devices (all within the same basic capabilities range): Agreed 100% that it is quite annoying.

Example: The Amazon app on my TV I can get 4k, HDR. The amazon app on the X1S apparently does not do 4K yet, but will kick on HDR and scale to 4k. My Test bed show has been the Season 2 finale of Red Oaks. It is really easy to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k on the opening. Further the X1S clearly states it is playing in 'HD 1080p' on the X1S (Press Y) (by contrast the Amazon app directly on the TV plays as 'HDR UltraHD' not the 1080p the X1S is stuck at). -- Noticed items that make the difference very visible: Intro TV-MA notification is way clearer on the TV. Doctor's office door, the glass wall in the background, the blink at the nurse, etc, etc.
I also recently added Season 5 Episode 1 of Breaking Bad to the test bed. Same thing. TV goes reports 4k, HDR activates, but the visuals are noticeably muted in quality compared to playing directly on the TV. Also the Amazon app still reports 'HD 1080p'. Difference noticed here in the first few minutes were the scene at the diner when he starts breaking and arranging the bacon to say 52. His hands and the food are way more defined on the TV version of the Amazon app than the Xbox One S version.

4K UHD BR play fine in 4k.

All green checks up and down the page on the 4K check page on the X1S.

-
back on topic:
Played The Huntsman: Winter's War UHD last night. DTS:X was passed correctly via bitstream to the receiver. Playback was the best of the X1S attempts to play anything so far (I'm going to have to go back and re-rate playback based on stutters, delays, audio drops, etc).

So far the absolute worst playback has been the Doctor Who 3D BR with Atmos with Star Trek Beyond UHD a close second. NOTE: I am talking strictly about playback based on if any issues were encountered, not the quality of the audio/video as mastered to the disc itself but how the X1S manages to play that content.

-
I will definitely end up getting a standalone or better combo unit at some point as the X1S is not in any way quiet playing movies. The drive can clearly be heard from over 13' away when muted or during whispered conversations (tested by leaving the room and noting when the drive could be heard blind{someone else causing the disc to spin}).

Last edited by Kelendral; 02-24-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Change 'Into Dearkness' to 'Beyond' as I listed wrong movie.
post #1645 of 2586 Old 02-24-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
So far the absolute worst playback has been the Doctor Who 3D BR with Atmos with Star Trek Into Darkness UHD a close second. NOTE: I am talking strictly about playback based on if any issues were encountered, not the quality of the audio/video as mastered to the disc itself but how the X1S manages to play that content.
What kind if issues were you having?
post #1646 of 2586 Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
What kind if issues were you having?
Note: incorrectly listed the wrong Star Trek UHD before (corrected above).
Doctor Who - Dark Water / Death In Heaven - 3D + Atmos - Multiple issues during playback (video occasionally not playing but audio played during the previews before menu). Multiple Audio drop-outs throughout the show playback. Multiple very audible disc seeks during playback. -- Tested twice, issues were not in repeatable spots. Disc looks perfect.
Star Trek: Beyond - 4K UHD HDR +Atmos - Usually takes 2-3 attempts to get the disc to be recognized (often says it cannot play the disc on first insert, most common if the BR app has not been started first). Occasional audio dropouts. -- Tested once for a full playback, multiple short starts. Disc looks perfect.
The Huntsman: Winter's War - 4K UHD HDR + DTS:X - No issues - Disc looks perfect.
Resident Evil: Afterlife - 4K UHD HDR + Atmos - Pretty sure this played correctly but I was still setting things up and testing when I first played around with it.
-- It should be noted before the remaining playbacks the BR app was re-installed as per the suggestion I received (in case it made a difference).
Ex-Machina - DTS:X - No issues - Disc looks perfect.
The Hunger Games - 4K UHD HDR + Atmos - Best Buy 4 movies collection. First attempt to play crashed the BR app and locked the X1S to where it would not shut down. Second attempt started then stopped with BR app unresponsive but I was able to return to home screen and also eject disc. Third attempt, movie played fine through-out, and was the quietest spinning of the 4k discs I've played yet. - Disc looks perfect, has slight rough feel on edges.
The Martian - Extended - 4K UHD HDR + Atmos - Kept loosing audio sync during playback with bitsream enabled. Horribly, badly out of sync (RW/FF would fix for a bit but would start losing sync again). This playback was so bad I had to turn off bitstream for Bluray player off for this disc and just use the 7.1 Uncompressed with whatever modifications the audio processing MSFT does and their effects. - Disc looks perfect.
Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice - 4K UHD HDR + Atmos - No issues - Disc looks perfect.
Man of Steel - 4K UHD HDR + Atmos - No issues - Disc looks perfect.

Note: these are my initial impressions. All discs were bought new with myself as the only owner, always stored in cases. I have not run any of the discs through a cleaner yet to remove any film that might be invisible to the eye but dirtying the disc enough to make them hard to read (manufacturer residue). I am likely going to try for a replacement on the Doctor Who disc as the playback was that bad.
Playback tests are done with the console set to pass the bitstream audio to the Yamaha 3050 AVR connected to a Samsung UN75JU7100 TV.
Normal BR is significantly quieter from the drive during playback than 4K UHD BR discs, or the one 3D I've played so far. Noise level judged is the Spin Disc noise and the Seek on Disc noise.
ergalthema likes this.

Last edited by Kelendral; 04-05-2017 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Add Hunger Games, add note about re-install of app.
post #1647 of 2586 Old 02-24-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Had issues playing Arrival 4K disc through my Xbox One S. Found a thread on a different forum where turning off the beta audio pass through fixed the issue. Sure enough it started up after that. Apparently it happened with the Trolls disk as well for that same person. Hope this helps someone else!

post #1648 of 2586 Old 02-26-2017, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fett2099 View Post
Had issues playing Arrival 4K disc through my Xbox One S. Found a thread on a different forum where turning off the beta audio pass through fixed the issue. Sure enough it started up after that. Apparently it happened with the Trolls disk as well for that same person. Hope this helps someone else!

Is it me or does Arrival look terrible on 4k? Super dumpy looking colors and such. I'm not sure if tha'ts just how it was filmed or what but I calibrated my TV this weekend and watched some of Arrival and I think it looks pretty ugly personally.

I'm starting to wonder if my lack of being impressed by 4k has to do with the Xbox One S. I had a lot of problems with the Xbox One with blu rays and not looking that great even post calibration. I swear the Xbox One/S has some super brightness boost going on behind the scenes. It ALWAYS is the worst looking output of all my devices. It's a shame because it does about 95% of everything I would want in a device for my home theater instead of having 5 different devices that all have different capabilities. I think I'm pretty much sold on the idea of picking up the LG UP970 player when it is released in March. I just don't feel like the Xbox One S outputs video very well. Opinions appreciated.

Denon x2300w
PS4 Pro
Sony UBP-X800
Apple TV4k
LG OLED65B6p
post #1649 of 2586 Old 02-26-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post
Is it me or does Arrival look terrible on 4k? Super dumpy looking colors and such. I'm not sure if tha'ts just how it was filmed or what but I calibrated my TV this weekend and watched some of Arrival and I think it looks pretty ugly personally.

I'm starting to wonder if my lack of being impressed by 4k has to do with the Xbox One S. I had a lot of problems with the Xbox One with blu rays and not looking that great even post calibration. I swear the Xbox One/S has some super brightness boost going on behind the scenes. It ALWAYS is the worst looking output of all my devices. It's a shame because it does about 95% of everything I would want in a device for my home theater instead of having 5 different devices that all have different capabilities. I think I'm pretty much sold on the idea of picking up the LG UP970 player when it is released in March. I just don't feel like the Xbox One S outputs video very well. Opinions appreciated.
If you haven't seen this:

It's known that Arrival doesn't really benefit from HDR. I think it's almost dishonest and misleading to even put "HDR" on the case.

That said, I have a KS8000 and X1S, and I have yet to be blown away by HDR. I mean, the most impressive thing I've watched was Inside Out on normal Blu-ray - that movie was so crisp and vibrant. I'm still reserving judgment, though. It takes a lot of time to A/B compare things like HDR vs. SDR version, and there isn't that much true HDR content to work with.

Abstract, the Netflix series, looks good - but I don't think "Oh wow that is obviously HDR". The Lego Movie 4K HDR Blu-ray looks natural for most of the movie. Near the end, there is some bright psychedelic stuff that seems to pop out more than I'm used to. When I have time, I plan to play the HDR version on my X1S and the normal Blu-ray on my PS3 and switch back and forth to compare.

My main gripe with the X1S at this point is lack of audio format support. I was told that it will come with an update, so I hope that's true.
post #1650 of 2586 Old 02-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
If you haven't seen this: https://youtu.be/Z48RV2REAnA

It's known that Arrival doesn't really benefit from HDR. I think it's almost dishonest and misleading to even put "HDR" on the case.

That said, I have a KS8000 and X1S, and I have yet to be blown away by HDR. I mean, the most impressive thing I've watched was Inside Out on normal Blu-ray - that movie was so crisp and vibrant. I'm still reserving judgment, though. It takes a lot of time to A/B compare things like HDR vs. SDR version, and there isn't that much true HDR content to work with.

Abstract, the Netflix series, looks good - but I don't think "Oh wow that is obviously HDR". The Lego Movie 4K HDR Blu-ray looks natural for most of the movie. Near the end, there is some bright psychedelic stuff that seems to pop out more than I'm used to. When I have time, I plan to play the HDR version on my X1S and the normal Blu-ray on my PS3 and switch back and forth to compare.

My main gripe with the X1S at this point is lack of audio format support. I was told that it will come with an update, so I hope that's true.
Thanks for the reply. I thought it was me or something weird with the Xbox. I still believe the Xbox is a pile when it comes to having it be part of your home theater but maybe not as much as I thought when I watched Arrival! I still think I will invest in a standalone 4k player somewhat soon but like you, let to be blown away. One thing I did watch that blew me away was The Blacklist on Netflix. I watched this via my TV's Netflix app and maybe that helped. It's eye popping amazing to me and if you haven't, I would suggest you check it out. The first five minutes of the first episode when he's kneeling in the lobby of the building specifically. The detail on James Spader's face is incredible and I was "blown away". Other than that, yet to be blown away to be honest. Maybe it's just because we're at the beginning of the format.

As far as the Xbox audio goes I agree but then again as you can tell, I don't think very highly of the Xbox . Not a hater, just don't think it's great for home theater enthusiasts. I am in the beta program and have tried the bitstream functionality which was nice but quirky in some ways. It annoyed me too much so I rolled out of the beta program and will just way until the final release.

I think I'm going to buy another 4k disc that has Blu ray, 4k Blu Ray, and digital copy so I can A-B all of them and see what I think. Thinking about War Dogs. I enjoyed the movie enough to watch it a few times so that's probably a good pick.

Thanks again!

Denon x2300w
PS4 Pro
Sony UBP-X800
Apple TV4k
LG OLED65B6p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu-ray , epson 6040ub , upscaling 4k , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version