Xbox One S-UHD Blu-Ray Player Aug 2016 - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3686Likes

post #1651 of 2587 Old 02-26-2017, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post
Thanks for the reply. I thought it was me or something weird with the Xbox. I still believe the Xbox is a pile when it comes to having it be part of your home theater but maybe not as much as I thought when I watched Arrival! I still think I will invest in a standalone 4k player somewhat soon but like you, let to be blown away. One thing I did watch that blew me away was The Blacklist on Netflix. I watched this via my TV's Netflix app and maybe that helped. It's eye popping amazing to me and if you haven't, I would suggest you check it out. The first five minutes of the first episode when he's kneeling in the lobby of the building specifically. The detail on James Spader's face is incredible and I was "blown away". Other than that, yet to be blown away to be honest. Maybe it's just because we're at the beginning of the format.

As far as the Xbox audio goes I agree but then again as you can tell, I don't think very highly of the Xbox . Not a hater, just don't think it's great for home theater enthusiasts. I am in the beta program and have tried the bitstream functionality which was nice but quirky in some ways. It annoyed me too much so I rolled out of the beta program and will just way until the final release.

I think I'm going to buy another 4k disc that has Blu ray, 4k Blu Ray, and digital copy so I can A-B all of them and see what I think. Thinking about War Dogs. I enjoyed the movie enough to watch it a few times so that's probably a good pick.

Thanks again!
I feel my PS4 Pro playback of Blu-Ray for color and sound is more pleasing than the Xbox One S. The colors on the Xbox One S seem muted (or in some disks, overly bright for UHD disks) and doesn't seem to have as powerful audio dynamic range as PS4 Pro (my ears feedback). I plan on picking up a stand-alone UHD BR player (possibly Panasonic) when it is released. I hope these issues are fixed in the upcoming firmware update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 2587 Old 02-26-2017, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I have been reading reviews on the XBox One S, and for overall 4K content things seem great, but I am reading a lot of negative comments by reviewers about the console's 4K Blu-ray playback. Since I ordered one of these and the PS4 Pro (which doesn't even do 4K Blu-ray), I am now wondering if to get the most out of the new 75" Sony I just ordered (and will be delivered soon) I will have to buy a standalone Blu-Ray player that does 4K?
post #1653 of 2587 Old 02-26-2017, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
If you haven't seen this: https://youtu.be/Z48RV2REAnA

It's known that Arrival doesn't really benefit from HDR. I think it's almost dishonest and misleading to even put "HDR" on the case.

That said, I have a KS8000 and X1S, and I have yet to be blown away by HDR. I mean, the most impressive thing I've watched was Inside Out on normal Blu-ray - that movie was so crisp and vibrant. I'm still reserving judgment, though. It takes a lot of time to A/B compare things like HDR vs. SDR version, and there isn't that much true HDR content to work with.

Abstract, the Netflix series, looks good - but I don't think "Oh wow that is obviously HDR". The Lego Movie 4K HDR Blu-ray looks natural for most of the movie. Near the end, there is some bright psychedelic stuff that seems to pop out more than I'm used to. When I have time, I plan to play the HDR version on my X1S and the normal Blu-ray on my PS3 and switch back and forth to compare.

My main gripe with the X1S at this point is lack of audio format support. I was told that it will come with an update, so I hope that's true.
Thanks for posting that video as well. Just got a chance to watch all of it. Very interesting information.

Denon x2300w
PS4 Pro
Sony UBP-X800
Apple TV4k
LG OLED65B6p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroVette View Post
I have been reading reviews on the XBox One S, and for overall 4K content things seem great, but I am reading a lot of negative comments by reviewers about the console's 4K Blu-ray playback. Since I ordered one of these and the PS4 Pro (which doesn't even do 4K Blu-ray), I am now wondering if to get the most out of the new 75" Sony I just ordered (and will be delivered soon) I will have to buy a standalone Blu-Ray player that does 4K?
As mentioned in my other posts, not the biggest fan of the Xbox for home theater stuff. If you are looking for a more premium home theater experience, I'd probably look to buy a standalone. Just my 2 cents though. Again, I've had 2 Xbox 360 or Xbox Ones in my home for over 10 years so not just blasting Microsoft or Xbox but the overall home theater experience for various reasons, for me, has been less than stellar.

Denon x2300w
PS4 Pro
Sony UBP-X800
Apple TV4k
LG OLED65B6p
post #1655 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As mentioned in my other posts, not the biggest fan of the Xbox for home theater stuff. If you are looking for a more premium home theater experience, I'd probably look to buy a standalone. Just my 2 cents though. Again, I've had 2 Xbox 360 or Xbox Ones in my home for over 10 years so not just blasting Microsoft or Xbox but the overall home theater experience for various reasons, for me, has been less than stellar.
Unfortunately, that is pretty much in line with the reviews I have been reading about the Xbox one S in terms of its ability to display 4K from Blu-Ray. I don't know if its true since I am waiting for my XBox One S to be delivered, but supposedly it is very good for streaming 4K as is the PS4 Pro, which I have now. I can't verify it, though, because I am waiting for delivery of my 940D TV.
post #1656 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 183
I'm glad I found this thread. I recently took the plunge to UHD with a faux-k projector (Epson tw9300) as well as Xbox One S. I got the One S mainly for gaming but thought I'd try BD and UHD playback from it. And yeah it has issues for sure. It just feels so wrong to go buy yet another device when the Xbox should be able to do everything from Netflix to UHD. I'm gonna wait this out a while I think. No one player seems to play nice with everything and it's expensive to keep buying stuff because no one can get it right. We are in the age of everything is beta at launch!

Room| Treated | Sound| Front: Ino Audio i32s, Center: Ino Audio i16s, Surrounds: 6 x Ino a2, 6 x Ino a1, Subs: 6 x Ino Infra-Y|
Picture | Epson TW9300, Seymour Center Stage UF 130.4" retractable 2.35:1 |
Electronics | Arcam AVR390(Dirac Live), 3x Ncore nc400 monoblocks, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, EP4000, Panasonic UB700, Allo Katana + Isolator 1.2(Roon bridge/DAC), ATV 4K |
post #1657 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is pretty much in line with the reviews I have been reading about the Xbox one S in terms of its ability to display 4K from Blu-Ray. I don't know if its true since I am waiting for my XBox One S to be delivered, but supposedly it is very good for streaming 4K as is the PS4 Pro, which I have now. I can't verify it, though, because I am waiting for delivery of my 940D TV.
If I were you, unless you have a gaming reason for the Xbox I'd probably skip it given that you have a new PS4 Pro which I imagine based on my use of the original PS4 is far better for AV functions than the Xbox One. Use the Xbox money for a standalone.

Denon x2300w
PS4 Pro
Sony UBP-X800
Apple TV4k
LG OLED65B6p
post #1658 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If I were you, unless you have a gaming reason for the Xbox I'd probably skip it given that you have a new PS4 Pro which I imagine based on my use of the original PS4 is far better for AV functions than the Xbox One. Use the Xbox money for a standalone.
I am a gamer, and I like some of the XBox One exclusives. So it was inevitable I would buy the console regardless. It just really pisses me off that Sony, who was instrumental in inventing Blu-Ray in the first place (along with Toshiba, I believe) couldn't be bothered to add a 4K BD player to the new iteration of the PS4, AND that MS, who did, basically did a botch job. I don't mind that I have to buy multiple devices for my new TV in this crazy, modern age, but you would think that ONE of these idiot companies (Sony or MS) would actually get this part of it right, particularly when you consider the hoops they are both jumping through to scream from the rooftops about how their consoles are true home multimedia mega-devices. I was considering waiting for the coming Project Scorpio iteration of the XBox, since that supposedly solves the problem, but I don't want to wait until the end of this year for either a standalone BD or for the Xbox One.

In the end, the two consoles really are nothing more than game machines (well and streaming, too) which is fine. But I really wish they would stop selling us a line of total bullsh*t about their mega-media-centers.

That said, two questions:

-What standlone 4K BD player do you recommend?

-How are the Xbox One S and the PS4 Pro consoles in terms of streaming, like for Netflix and Amazon Prime, etc.? I don't remember reading about any problems in this area for either console.
africanlivedit likes this.
post #1659 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am a gamer, and I like some of the XBox One exclusives. So it was inevitable I would buy the console regardless. It just really pisses me off that Sony, who was instrumental in inventing Blu-Ray in the first place (along with Toshiba, I believe) couldn't be bothered to add a 4K BD player to the new iteration of the PS4, AND that MS, who did, basically did a botch job. I don't mind that I have to buy multiple devices for my new TV in this crazy, modern age, but you would think that ONE of these idiot companies (Sony or MS) would actually get this part of it right, particularly when you consider the hoops they are both jumping through to scream from the rooftops about how their consoles are true home multimedia mega-devices. I was considering waiting for the coming Project Scorpio iteration of the XBox, since that supposedly solves the problem, but I don't want to wait until the end of this year for either a standalone BD or for the Xbox One.

In the end, the two consoles really are nothing more than game machines (well and streaming, too) which is fine. But I really wish they would stop selling us a line of total bullsh*t about their mega-media-centers.

That said, two questions:

-What standlone 4K BD player do you recommend?

-How are the Xbox One S and the PS4 Pro consoles in terms of streaming, like for Netflix and Amazon Prime, etc.? I don't remember reading about any problems in this area for either console.
I hear you loud and clear believe me. I'm of the same mindset. I think at this point I really don't have that much confidence in either that much in terms of having an all encompassing home theater/feature rich/gaming/QUALITY device. It's just not going to happen at least at this point. There always seems to be shortcomings. I've given up!

As far as a player I'd recommend I will tell you up front that I haven't owned anything but the Xbox One S for 4k. I just got my 4k set a few weeks ago and have been trying to be satisfied with the Xbox One S as my 4k player but as I mentioned, that ship has sailed. I'm waiting for the LG UP970 to be released in March which I think will be the player I will buy. For one it supports both Dolby Vision (with firmware update later this year) and HDR. Secondly my TV is an LG OLED so I figured MAYBE I will have less issues with a new format such as 4k if both the TV and the player are of the same brand but who knows. I've obviously heard great things about the Oppo but I don't want to spend that much on a player personally.

In regards to streaming between PS4 and Xbox I'll be honest I only had the PS4 for about a month so I can't really speak all that well about PS4 streaming but the Xbox streaming is fine. Again though, I would use a different device for those applications if I had a choice. Now, I use my OLED's TV apps for that as I would generally always pick any other device over the Xbox to use if I have the option and I'm not losing anything in terms f PQ or AQ which I wouldn't be for streaming 4k using my TV apps.

Hope that helps.

Denon x2300w
PS4 Pro
Sony UBP-X800
Apple TV4k
LG OLED65B6p
post #1660 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 67
What's weird is that I posted in multiple forums asking for 4K HDR Blu-ray player recommendations. It was almost unanimously the X1S. Everyone said it has guaranteed long-term support, etc.

Again, my main concern is that it can't send the highest quality audio. As far as picture quality, I don't understand why a Blu-ray would look much different coming from the X1S, opposed to any other player. I'm seeing a lot of complaints here, but not many descriptions of the problems.
post #1661 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I hear you loud and clear believe me. I'm of the same mindset. I think at this point I really don't have that much confidence in either that much in terms of having an all encompassing home theater/feature rich/gaming/QUALITY device. It's just not going to happen at least at this point. There always seems to be shortcomings. I've given up!
Not sure how accurate this is, because it is second hand info I am telling you, but I asked the same question in the forum and thread for the TV I purchased and one member said that the Xbone S is getting a complete operating system overhaul in the next month or two that is supposed to take care of a lot of the 4K issues. I may wait for that and see what happens. since I already own the system (along with Halo 5 + the Master Chief Edition with all the previous Halo games remastered....woohooo!)

Quote:
As far as a player I'd recommend I will tell you up front that I haven't owned anything but the Xbox One S for 4k. I just got my 4k set a few weeks ago and have been trying to be satisfied with the Xbox One S as my 4k player but as I mentioned, that ship has sailed.
So how are you finding it for 4K BD content? Is it serviceable? Are there just some bugs and inconveniences, or are there moderate to severe issues with picture and sound that are a deal breaker? You are obviously quite knowledgeable, and while I do not want to put words in your mouth, you strike me as someone who wouldn't put up with any serious problems with things like color, picture, brightness, sound issues, etc., and I suspect you would have dug your heels in and bought an actual unit if that were the case?

Again, not trying to put words in your mouth, but maybe I could live with whatever issues are present if it turns out the OS re-vamp will fix said problems, not knowing what they are at this point.

Quote:
I'm waiting for the LG UP970 to be released in March which I think will be the player I will buy. For one it supports both Dolby Vision (with firmware update later this year) and HDR. Secondly my TV is an LG OLED so I figured MAYBE I will have less issues with a new format such as 4k if both the TV and the player are of the same brand but who knows. I've obviously heard great things about the Oppo but I don't want to spend that much on a player personally.

In regards to streaming between PS4 and Xbox I'll be honest I only had the PS4 for about a month so I can't really speak all that well about PS4 streaming but the Xbox streaming is fine. Again though, I would use a different device for those applications if I had a choice. Now, I use my OLED's TV apps for that as I would generally always pick any other device over the Xbox to use if I have the option and I'm not losing anything in terms f PQ or AQ which I wouldn't be for streaming 4k using my TV apps.

Hope that helps.
Yeah lol the Oppo is a little ridiculously priced for a standalone player! Reminds me of waaaaaaaaay back in the 70's (I think it was 1976!) when VHS first launched into homes and my Dad came parading into the living room with one that cost him $750.00. The truly crazy part of that was the fact that this was the equivalent of about $3,000.00 or $4,000.00 by today's inflation standard. This thing sported the amazing innovation of a "remote control" that was connected to the VCR by a LONG wire that reached to the couch, and it had such incredible remote functions like stop, pause, play, rewind, and fast forward!

Anyway, that was all by way of saying that I am sure these $700.00 to $800.00 Oppo players will either get a lot cheaper very soon, or when companies rip off the tech just enough to not be in violation of patent laws, and there is competition for them, the prices will probably come down to what today's regular BD players cost.

Of course, the caveat there is that I have absolutely NO empirical evidence for what I just said, and if you want to accuse me of wild eyed speculation and being completely full of sh*t, I will concede the point.

Last edited by ChiroVette; 02-27-2017 at 10:16 AM.
post #1662 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What's weird is that I posted in multiple forums asking for 4K HDR Blu-ray player recommendations. It was almost unanimously the X1S. Everyone said it has guaranteed long-term support, etc.

Again, my main concern is that it can't send the highest quality audio. As far as picture quality, I don't understand why a Blu-ray would look much different coming from the X1S, opposed to any other player. I'm seeing a lot of complaints here, but not many descriptions of the problems.
I couldn't tell you to be honest EXACTLY what the issue is. It just doesn't look very good IMO. I am a novice calibrator (hobby) and calibrated with my Xbox One and now the One S. There is always some bright push with the Xbox's in my eyes and the detail is not there for high quality, disc based sources. Maybe I'm crazy. When I switch to either my TV apps (4k) or my Apple TV (1080p) I'm like WOW, the Xbox looks noticeably worse than my other sources. That's switching over to a non calibrated setting on my TV for both for A-B purposes.

Just last night I was watching something, can't remember what, and I switched the program over to my Apple TV and my TV just lit up with awesomeness. All the same HDMI cables, same power sources, etc. The only thing different from device to device in my setup is the devices themselves. Believe me I'm not interested in spending another $300 on a standalone player when I have the Xbox One S but the difference is enough for me to warrant that. The audio won't be an issue once the latest patch is issued to the standard release ring as it will bitstream audio so I wouldn't worry about that.

If I didn't have a dedicated theater room/setup I'm sure the Xbox One S would be more than adequate and is for 90% of the users out there but remember that is their market. Not the AV folks who get into calibrating, have 4K already, buy OLED TVs, have theater rooms, etc so to Microsoft, it's good enough. I've been working in IT for 15 years on servers, workstations, etc. and at this point I've learned that Microsoft has made their business on "good enough".

If you look at it from a price perspective Microsoft is selling you a device for $250-$300 that does gaming, streams audio, plays blu rays, has TV passthrough, is running on Windows, has a hard drive, has all the premiere channel and streaming service apps, etc etc etc. A standalone 4k blu ray player costs about $300 that does one thing for the most part. It would make sense that the components used in the Xbox have to be cheaper than the ones used in a dedicated player that is solely dedicated for the most part to just play discs. Microsoft is interested in selling you something that will continue to sell you things for a wide variety of services for years to come, not in quality that only a small percentage of potential customers care about.
Alanlee likes this.

Denon x2300w
PS4 Pro
Sony UBP-X800
Apple TV4k
LG OLED65B6p

Last edited by FuzzyReets; 02-27-2017 at 10:22 AM.
post #1663 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure how accurate this is, because it is second hand info I am telling you, but I asked the same question in the forum and thread for the TV I purchased and one member said that the Xbone S is getting a complete operating system overhaul in the next month or two that is supposed to take care of a lot of the 4K issues. I may wait for that and see what happens. since I already own the system (along with Halo 5 + the Master Chief Edition with all the previous Halo games remastered....woohooo!)

So how are you finding it for 4K BD content? Is it serviceable? Are there just some bugs and inconveniences, or are there moderate to severe issues with picture and sound that are a deal breaker? You are obviously quite knowledgeable, and while I do not want to put words in your mouth, you strike me as someone who wouldn't put up with any serious problems with things like color, picture, brightness, sound issues, etc., and I suspect you would have dug your heels in and bought an actual unit if that were the case?

Again, not trying to put words in your mouth, but maybe I could live with whatever issues are present if it turns out the OS re-vamp will fix said problems, not knowing what they are at this point.[/IMG]
Nah I hear you. I enjoy these conversations No worries. I'm not an expert in home theater by any means mind you but i am a gadget freak, work in technology, and love to tinker and learn about getting things to their optimal status. When I get a new TV i buy the latest calibration software and calibrate it though. I generally spend weeks with this because I'm overly picky as you mentioned and some things I have to relearn since the last time I calibrated.

Is the Xbox One serviceable as a 4k player? Absolutely. Do I personally believe if the rest of your setup is of decent quality that it will provide you with the best picture quality available? No. As I mentioned, I just got my 4k TV a few weeks ago which is why I do not have an actual standalone 4k player yet. Additionally, I want to purchase the LG UP970 which won't be out until next month. I needed an additional Xbox One about 4 months ago before I had 4k so I bought the S with the hopes that it would be my 4k Blu ray player once I purchased a 4k receiver and 4k TV which I have just done in the past month. That is why I do not have a standalone player yet.

Check out the other post I just replied to a few minutes ago. Maybe that will shed some more light on this subject.

Denon x2300w
PS4 Pro
Sony UBP-X800
Apple TV4k
LG OLED65B6p
post #1664 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, FuzzyReets, I just read both posts. Yeah it looks like I will be all right for at least a little while with the XBone. Plus, right now, I own not a single 4K disk. Additionally, there is a ton of streaming options for 4K, that I am sure both my TV and my PS4 Pro will handle awesomely! I lean toward using the PS4 as a 4K streaming device because I don't own a Harmony remote and I just purchased the PS4 bluetooth remote. I have gotten soooooo used to streaming Netflix on my PS3 for years now. Even though my 55" bedroom TV that was in my living room is only 1080p. I have literally never used the Netflix app on my TV, my 360, or my Blu-Ray player because I have gotten so used to not having to point the remote at the console.
post #1665 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 5643 Post(s)
Liked: 5223
From the beginning, Sony has marketed the PS4 as a gaming focused console (it did not even support DLNA at launch). The PS3 was definitely a multimedia console and cost me $599 at launch. The Xbox One is more of a multimedia console than the PS4.

Xbox One had a horrible launch. Their console hardware was inferior, but more expensive due to the included Kinect sensor. They also infuriated fans with their DRM strategy requiring the console to be internet connected at all times (which they were forced to abandon). They have been playing catch-up ever since.

The Xbox One S is the console that Microsoft should have launched initially. The inclusion of the UHD player was successful in boosting console sales over the holiday shopping season.

In the meantime, Sony had no reason to lose money as they own the market. The PS4 Pro is gaming focused once again.

With the x86 architecture, I believe this is the end of next generation consoles replacing previous gen. Just like PCs, the power of the console will enhance the gaming experience. The PS4 Pro is the first iteration. Microsoft's Scorpio will be the next. These newer consoles are backwards compatible and the games will still run on the older consoles. It also helps developers not to have to port to proprietary architecture like the PS3.

I have the Sony UBP-X800 and there is no way they could have squeezed this thing into a PS4. Sony is back to producing high quality disc players vs the cheap plastics that they gifted us with in the BDP line. Purpose built devices will generally outperform do-it-all devices.

The Xbox One S is a great device. Just don't expect it to perform like a Panasonic Blu-ray player that retailed for $599 (or $499… whatever).
aaronwt likes this.
post #1666 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 12:21 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9526 Post(s)
Liked: 6218
Quote:

It can send bitstreamed HD audio for those of us in the preview program. I've had it for I think a couple of months now. For the rest of people, bitstreaming should show up very soon. But even sending decoded audio in 7.1 pcm, it will sound the same. The only real reason to need the bitstreamed audio is for Atmos or DTS capability. which 99% of the people don;t even have.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1667 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 12:23 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:

Again, not trying to put words in your mouth, but maybe I could live with whatever issues are present if it turns out the OS re-vamp will fix said problems, not knowing what they are at this point.

Yeah lol the Oppo is a little ridiculously priced for a standalone player! Reminds me of waaaaaaaaay back in the 70's (I think it was 1976!) when VHS first launched into homes and my Dad came parading into the living room with one that cost him $750.00. The truly crazy part of that was the fact that this was the equivalent of about $3,000.00 or $4,000.00 by today's inflation standard. This thing sported the amazing innovation of a "remote control" that was connected to the VCR by a LONG wire that reached to the couch, and it had such incredible remote functions like stop, pause, play, rewind, and fast forward!

Anyway, that was all by way of saying that I am sure these $700.00 to $800.00 Oppo players will either get a lot cheaper very soon, or when companies rip off the tech just enough to not be in violation of patent laws, and there is competition for them, the prices will probably come down to what today's regular BD players cost.

Of course, the caveat there is that I have absolutely NO empirical evidence for what I just said, and if you want to accuse me of wild eyed speculation and being completely full of sh*t, I will concede the point.
When the Blu-ray Disc format launched in June 2006, A BD player cost $1k. The Oppo is a steal by comparison at $550.

post #1668 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
When the Blu-ray Disc format launched in June 2006, A BD player cost $1k. The Oppo is a steal by comparison at $550.
Actually, I think you kind of made my point for me. BD players came down in price very fast, which was what I was saying would likely happen with 4K BD.

Not relevant to the discussion, my first Blu-ray player was actually the fat 60 GB PS3, by the way, which was a steal at the launch price, since it was an awesome game console for its time.
post #1669 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 02:54 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Actually, I think you kind of made my point for me. BD players came down in price very fast, which was what I was saying would likely happen with 4K BD.

Not relevant to the discussion, my first Blu-ray player was actually the fat 60 GB PS3, by the way, which was a steal at the launch price, since it was an awesome game console for its time.
Yes. i got the 20GB Fat for $500 in late 2006 since I had returned my crappy $1k BD player from June 2006. I never used the PS3 for games but it was a great BD player. I only wish Sony would have gone with a UHD BD player in the PS4 Pro like Microsoft did with the XBOne S.

post #1670 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes. i got the 20GB Fat for $500 in late 2006 since I had returned my crappy $1k BD player from June 2006. I never used the PS3 for games but it was a great BD player. I only wish Sony would have gone with a UHD BD player in the PS4 Pro like Microsoft did with the XBOne S.
Same here, brother, same here!

Since I will have both, can anyone here who uses the XBone S as a 4K BD player with the 940D comment on their experiences?
post #1671 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
It can send bitstreamed HD audio for those of us in the preview program. I've had it for I think a couple of months now. For the rest of people, bitstreaming should show up very soon. But even sending decoded audio in 7.1 pcm, it will sound the same. The only real reason to need the bitstreamed audio is for Atmos or DTS capability. which 99% of the people don;t even have.
I just bought the X-box One specifically because it looked like I could do Atmos per the Vudu compatibility list and that Playstation won't play UHD movies.

I'm hoping the update will come out soon for our non-preview users can use Atmos on both disc and streaming soon.
ergalthema likes this.
post #1672 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacbellguy View Post
I just bought the X-box One specifically because it looked like I could do Atmos per the Vudu compatibility list and that Playstation won't play UHD movies.

I'm hoping the update will come out soon for our non-preview users can use Atmos on both disc and streaming soon.
I signed up for the insider program earlier this month and it took me 2 days to get accepted and I had the new audio option in the BR settings. There are some posts maybe 3-4 pages back how to do this.
post #1673 of 2587 Old 02-27-2017, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

But the Xbox One S also has a very minor sync issue for many not in the preview program. 7.1 PCM may sound the same but the Xbox One S has a hard time doing the encoding and spitting out UHD in sync. I'm sure many don't notice, but many others do.

So there is a need for REAL bitstream audio.
post #1674 of 2587 Old 02-28-2017, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've had the Oppo 203 and the Xbox One S. Like many others said, some more experienced than me, the XB1S delivers almost the same PQ as the Oppo 203, as the differences are so small, that I could even say they were placebo, induced by the price of the Oppo. Yes, it doesn't have a good support, for now, for Atmos, but this will most probably be fixed in the next months.

Not blown away by 4K HDR? Don't expect the standalone players to do that, and probably you should check your TV image settings. As long as the player doesn't artificially make some "improvements" to make the image more eye catchy, the PQ should be the same. Having UHD discs like X-Men Apocalypse, Lucy, Chappy etc, I can really say 4K HDR is great, but, it all depends on the movie. The same thing here, it has been said many times, most 4K movies come from 2K DI, and not allot of them are great 4K upscales.

I ended up returning the Oppo because the differences were not worth the price difference compared to the Oppo. Plus, if I want to play some games, the Box is there to do that too

LG OLED 65C8P, Sony UBP-X700, Marantz PM6005, Dali Zensor 7, iFi Nano iDSD DAC, Mogami Cables.
post #1675 of 2587 Old 02-28-2017, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
From the beginning, Sony has marketed the PS4 as a gaming focused console (it did not even support DLNA at launch). The PS3 was definitely a multimedia console and cost me $599 at launch. The Xbox One is more of a multimedia console than the PS4.

Xbox One had a horrible launch. Their console hardware was inferior, but more expensive due to the included Kinect sensor. They also infuriated fans with their DRM strategy requiring the console to be internet connected at all times (which they were forced to abandon). They have been playing catch-up ever since.

The Xbox One S is the console that Microsoft should have launched initially. The inclusion of the UHD player was successful in boosting console sales over the holiday shopping season.

In the meantime, Sony had no reason to lose money as they own the market. The PS4 Pro is gaming focused once again.

With the x86 architecture, I believe this is the end of next generation consoles replacing previous gen. Just like PCs, the power of the console will enhance the gaming experience. The PS4 Pro is the first iteration. Microsoft's Scorpio will be the next. These newer consoles are backwards compatible and the games will still run on the older consoles. It also helps developers not to have to port to proprietary architecture like the PS3.

I have the Sony UBP-X800 and there is no way they could have squeezed this thing into a PS4. Sony is back to producing high quality disc players vs the cheap plastics that they gifted us with in the BDP line. Purpose built devices will generally outperform do-it-all devices.

The Xbox One S is a great device. Just don't expect it to perform like a Panasonic Blu-ray player that retailed for $599 (or $499… whatever).
I missed this post when I was responding to others yesterday, but you bring up some very good points. Luckily these stanbdalone players will likely come down dramatically in the coming month. So it may be well worth it for anyone who has a player built into their XB1S to use what we have and wait out the inevitable price drop. Obviously that is an individual choice, though. Some people just have to have the latest and the best now, and I completely respect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreil24 View Post
I've had the Oppo 203 and the Xbox One S. Like many others said, some more experienced than me, the XB1S delivers almost the same PQ as the Oppo 203, as the differences are so small, that I could even say they were placebo, induced by the price of the Oppo. Yes, it doesn't have a good support, for now, for Atmos, but this will most probably be fixed in the next months.

Not blown away by 4K HDR? Don't expect the standalone players to do that, and probably you should check your TV image settings. As long as the player doesn't artificially make some "improvements" to make the image more eye catchy, the PQ should be the same. Having UHD discs like X-Men Apocalypse, Lucy, Chappy etc, I can really say 4K HDR is great, but, it all depends on the movie. The same thing here, it has been said many times, most 4K movies come from 2K DI, and not allot of them are great 4K upscales.

I ended up returning the Oppo because the differences were not worth the price difference compared to the Oppo. Plus, if I want to play some games, the Box is there to do that too
I am very happy you made this post! To be honest, I don't think that I have the same sensitivity to visual issues on TV sets and streaming quality as many of the people in and out of this forum who are a great deal more discerning than I am. Also, my vision is not quite 20-20 anymore, though I am borderline and don't "need" glasses quite yet. But I don't think that my eyes even really see many of the issues that a lot of the more discerning videophiles complain about, and if they do, I have a feeling my brain is ignoring them for whatever reason. Not that I am disparaging the really finicky, highly sensitive consumers. If it were not for them, the tech would probably not move as quickly as it does now, and manufacturers would not be so obsessed with the task of making a lot of these issues go away.

I just know that a lot of times when people post pictures of things like smearing, banding, SOE, black level variances, contrast problems, and the like, I either don't see them at all, or I really have to look close. I could be wrong, since I am still waiting for the delivery of my new TV (my first 4K, by the way, a Sony XBR75X940D) and the XB1S, I really can't say definitively what my experiences will be. But many of the things people are complaining about, like the aforementioned issues, in their milder form, at least, I don't think I will even notice them.

As for the price of these units, with all new tech, the price drops dramatically as the developers of the product start making their R&D money back, turn a profit, and find ways to streamline mass production. The crazy prices of these standalone 4K players will come down very soon, I am sure of it.
post #1676 of 2587 Old 02-28-2017, 09:27 AM
UHD Addict

The Samsung K8500 is already $150 less than a year ago. Although I guess a Gen2 model is coming soon.

The XBOne S is a decent UHD BD player. But I personally prefer to use a stand alone. If nothing else just for the lower power usage. Although since the XBOne S doesn;t have two HDMI outputs, it's necessary for me to use a stand alone player for me to get HDR and HD audio since my speaker bar is only HDMi 2.0 and not HDMi 2.0a.

post #1677 of 2587 Old 02-28-2017, 02:40 PM

The X1S YouTube app is only showing "HD" - no 4K or HDR. Is that a known limitation?
post #1678 of 2587 Old 02-28-2017, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Actually no sync issues with the Xbox One S, I found. Just had to turn off the 24hz option and it made playing UHD right as rain.
post #1679 of 2587 Old 02-28-2017, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 5643 Post(s)
Liked: 5223
Quote:
The X1S YouTube app is only showing "HD" - no 4K or HDR. Is that a known limitation?
Yep… try the web browser.
post #1680 of 2587 Old 02-28-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
Actually no sync issues with the Xbox One S, I found. Just had to turn off the 24hz option and it made playing UHD right as rain.
Can anyone explain this? Seems like 24Hz would be necessary for best 24p playback, no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu-ray , epson 6040ub , upscaling 4k , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page