Xbox One S-UHD Blu-Ray Player Aug 2016 - Page 57 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3686Likes

post #1681 of 2587 Old 02-28-2017, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Samsung K8500 is already $150 less than a year ago. Although I guess a Gen2 model is coming soon.

The XBOne S is a decent UHD BD player. But I personally prefer to use a stand alone. If nothing else just for the lower power usage. Although since the XBOne S doesn;t have two HDMI outputs, it's necessary for me to use a stand alone player for me to get HDR and HD audio since my speaker bar is only HDMi 2.0 and not HDMi 2.0a.
Do you know if there has been any discussion about converting the HDMI in port to be a second HDMI out with the bitstream update. I'm in the same boat so I'm on the fence about getting one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 2587 Old 03-01-2017, 07:44 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9529 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
Originally Posted by z284pwr View Post
Do you know if there has been any discussion about converting the HDMI in port to be a second HDMI out with the bitstream update. I'm in the same boat so I'm on the fence about getting one.
I've never read anything about that in the past.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1683 of 2587 Old 03-01-2017, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys I just got my E6 today and I am having an odd problem with my Xbox One S. When I try to watch something in HDR. Netflix or 4k disk. The bottom half of the screen just goes grey and flickers. The weird thing is I watched the Shallows with this not happening at all but whenever I pop any other 4k disk or do netflix it turns grey. Netflix in dolby vision and 4k do not turn grey when played through the tv. Anybody have an idea? Tried changing the HDMI cable and cycling both the xbox and tv to no avail.

4k disk Hancock: http://imgur.com/WWd7PTh
Netflix 4k Master of None: http://imgur.com/OJvkGWH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1684 of 2587 Old 03-01-2017, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Bevins View Post
Hey guys I just got my E6 today and I am having an odd problem with my Xbox One S. When I try to watch something in HDR. Netflix or 4k disk. The bottom half of the screen just goes grey and flickers. The weird thing is I watched the Shallows with this not happening at all but whenever I pop any other 4k disk or do netflix it turns grey. Netflix in dolby vision and 4k do not turn grey when played through the tv. Anybody have an idea? Tried changing the HDMI cable and cycling both the xbox and tv to no avail.

4k disk Hancock: http://imgur.com/WWd7PTh
Netflix 4k Master of None: http://imgur.com/OJvkGWH
How long of a HDMI cable are you using?
post #1685 of 2587 Old 03-01-2017, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
How long of a HDMI cable are you using?
I just used the one that came with the Xbox and tried swapping for a different one that might be a little longer but neither worked.
post #1686 of 2587 Old 03-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I finally upgraded from the Xbox One to the One S to gain UHD capability despite not having a 4k tv or receiver yet. Those are planned future upgrades. I had to enroll in the Xbox One Preview program again I assume I just need to wait another 2-3 days to get accepted and have bitstream direct again. I don't own any UHD discs yet but my future purchases will be UHD.
post #1687 of 2587 Old 03-02-2017, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From reading just the past few pages I gather buying the Xbox One S solely for its UHD discs playing capabilities isn't the greatest decision. I want to purchase a player as a gift and the X1S is at a great price point. And I love the fact you can play movies you've stored on the HDD or have on a USB drive.

There are other players that are cheaper, I have my eye on the Philips BDP7501, but I like the fact the X1S as internal storage and will have a long life-span being a Microsoft product (software updates).

How would you current owners chime in?

Last edited by sman789; 03-02-2017 at 03:46 PM. Reason: mistake
post #1688 of 2587 Old 03-02-2017, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sman789 View Post
From reading just the past few pages I gather buying the Xbox One S solely for its UHD discs playing capabilities isn't the greatest decision. I want to purchase a player as a gift and the X1S is at a great price point. And I love the fact you can play movies to store on the HDD or have on a USB drive.

There are other players that are cheaper, I have my eye on the Philips BDP7501, but I like the fact the X1S as internal storage and will have a long life-span being a Microsoft product (software updates).

How would you current owners chime in?
A lot of it is personal preference. I got my X1S for $209, and it was the cheapest 4K HDR Blu-ray player I could find. Because of that, I'm not disappointed... yet. If they release a stable update with Atmos/lossless audio bitstream, I will be happy. The interface is clunky. It takes a minute to start up if you use the power-saving mode (instead of always on standby). Using the game controller to navigate is weird. Some other players have two outputs (for separate audio/video), which might be handy for whatever new formats/products the industry might force upon us - X1S only has one HDMI out.
Alanlee likes this.
post #1689 of 2587 Old 03-04-2017, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
A lot of it is personal preference. I got my X1S for $209, and it was the cheapest 4K HDR Blu-ray player I could find. Because of that, I'm not disappointed... yet. If they release a stable update with Atmos/lossless audio bitstream, I will be happy. The interface is clunky. It takes a minute to start up if you use the power-saving mode (instead of always on standby). Using the game controller to navigate is weird. Some other players have two outputs (for separate audio/video), which might be handy for whatever new formats/products the industry might force upon us - X1S only has one HDMI out.
I am in the same boat. I paid 200 for mine which is way cheaper than anything else still. I am not a audio nut so anything related to that doesn't bother me at all. I have my Sonos play bar and I am happy. To me as a UHD player and streamer I love it. I do agree from the one stand point as a player the loading ans interface is clunky since it is after all a gaming system too. But I do see it having a longer software update cycle which is nice
post #1690 of 2587 Old 03-04-2017, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Did any one have a true comparison with Oppo 4k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1691 of 2587 Old 03-05-2017, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracode View Post
There is a definite issue with Xbox One S beta Bitstream direct update and The Martian UHD. The sound delay gets worse and worse. Only way to get it to resync is to pause and back the movie up a few seconds and then it is good for a little while. I ended up turning off Bitstream Direct mode under Blu-Ray and the app crashed. I started the movie again and had to FF to skip to where I was before the issue. Sound was back to normal with no sound delay to the end of the movie. Sound quality for Bitstream Direct was very muted for dynamic range compared to PS4 Pro. I will need to try some other movies and see if the same issues occur. I tried to send a bug report, but the Insider app crashed and kept saying 'Not Authorized'.
I just updated my list of played Atmos/DTS:X discs with this one and had the same results:

The Martian - Extended - 4K UHD HDR + Atmos - Kept loosing audio sync during playback with bitsream enabled. Horribly, badly out of sync (RW/FF would fix for a bit but would start losing sync again). This playback was so bad I had to turn off bitstream for Bluray player and just use the 7.1 Uncompressed with whatever modifications the audio processing MSFT does and their effects. - Disc looks perfect.

MSFT needs to get this working I've got a 20 year old DVD player that can bitstream correctly, and so could Win95.
post #1692 of 2587 Old 03-07-2017, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got a Xbox One S for $200 and a new Atmos/DTS:X receiver but can't figure out how or if I can even get into Insider program to try out bitsream. Might just pull the trigger on the new Sony UHD player. Anyone have both or can help me get into the Xbox program to test?

TIA

TV: Sony 75" X940D
Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H 9.2
Blu-Ray: Sony UBP-X800
Speakers: SVS Satellites 7.2.2
Sub: SVS 10 / Pioneer 10
post #1693 of 2587 Old 03-07-2017, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
I got a Xbox One S for $200 and a new Atmos/DTS:X receiver but can't figure out how or if I can even get into Insider program to try out bitsream. Might just pull the trigger on the new Sony UHD player. Anyone have both or can help me get into the Xbox program to test?

TIA
its not hard. the last several pages details how people are doing it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post50610681
post #1694 of 2587 Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
its not hard. the last several pages details how people are doing it.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...l#post50610681
That shows how to install and access the Insider Hub but that doesn't show up on my apps or anywhere to even install in the first place.

post #1695 of 2587 Old 03-07-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That shows how to install and access the Insider Hub but that doesn't show up on my apps or anywhere to even install in the first place.
Yup you have to go to app store on the xbox and search and download the Insider App.
dborgill likes this.
post #1696 of 2587 Old 03-07-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd09 View Post
I am not a audio nut so anything related to that doesn't bother me at all.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #1697 of 2587 Old 03-07-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Yup you have to go to app store on the xbox and search and download the Insider App.
Ahhh ha! Found it. Thank you for your help.

post #1698 of 2587 Old 03-07-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ahhh ha! Found it. Thank you for your help.
No problem. I remember it being a pain trying to find that app.
post #1699 of 2587 Old 03-08-2017, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't know if anyone has noticed that when playing Blu ray's the video output resorts to 1080p.

this seems to be a known problem however there does appear to be a way round this.

if you go to the advanced video settings, turn off the auto detect and then select HDMI as standard. you then wait for the screen to mess up before turning back on the auto detect option. select the appropriate resolutions, including 4K (3D, 60hz, 50hz) etc.

then once all selected and restored when playing a blu ray the tv output remains at 4K and not at 1080p

Last edited by endol; 03-08-2017 at 05:15 AM.
post #1700 of 2587 Old 03-08-2017, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Anyone have any info on when the ATMOS bitstream support will be generally available to all? I am hoping no later than this month, but have not see any info on it.
post #1701 of 2587 Old 03-08-2017, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwyf View Post
Anyone have any info on when the ATMOS bitstream support will be generally available to all? I am hoping no later than this month, but have not see any info on it.
you can do it now w/o waiting for more than a couple of days.
post #1702 of 2587 Old 03-08-2017, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
you can do it now w/o waiting for more than a couple of days.
Thanks, but do you mean I can do it already by signing up via the Insider Hub, or do you mean it is already available to all in general?
post #1703 of 2587 Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwyf View Post
Thanks, but do you mean I can do it already by signing up via the Insider Hub, or do you mean it is already available to all in general?

Same. I joined Insider but nothing. Trying to decide between keeping Xbox One S or new Sony X800 UHD player. Too many pros and cons!

post #1704 of 2587 Old 03-09-2017, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Xbox One S 4k Bluray Playback Issue

I just wanted to see what you guys have to say about the 4k blu ray playback in regards to an issue i'm having. Now I'm using a Vizio P series hdr tv that supports hdr fully and everything, so 4k blu rays are meant to really shine. Now with the hdmi color subsampling turned on and everything, i get the hdr picture and all but have ran into a weird bug that makes me think that hdr is not working the way it is supposed to and wanted to know if the issue is normal and everyone's xbox reacts the same way. So when you are watching a 4k blu ray, when you press the home button that takes you to the homescreen and the blu ray is playing in the small preview window, does the 4k hdr look brighter and more lively from the preview in the home screen? It seems that way for me, and as soon as i go back to full screen 4k blu ray, you can notice it has a greyish tint cast over it. Honestly, the preview window from the home screen looks more like hdr to me but I can't really tell if its thats just something the xbox does. I just want to know if others ran into the same scenario with the home screen, as that would indicate that its just something the xbox one s does instead of actually limiting the 4k hdr playback. If no one else gets a more vibrant and brighter picture of the 4k blu ray from the home screen, then that would mean there is something wrong with my xbox or tv, so I'm very interested to hear what everyone has to say on this point. It's no surprise that the xbox one s had many 4k bugs in the past, it would be a shame if this was one of them.
post #1705 of 2587 Old 03-09-2017, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inter4life View Post
I just wanted to see what you guys have to say about the 4k blu ray playback in regards to an issue i'm having. Now I'm using a Vizio P series hdr tv that supports hdr fully and everything, so 4k blu rays are meant to really shine. Now with the hdmi color subsampling turned on and everything, i get the hdr picture and all but have ran into a weird bug that makes me think that hdr is not working the way it is supposed to and wanted to know if the issue is normal and everyone's xbox reacts the same way. So when you are watching a 4k blu ray, when you press the home button that takes you to the homescreen and the blu ray is playing in the small preview window, does the 4k hdr look brighter and more lively from the preview in the home screen? It seems that way for me, and as soon as i go back to full screen 4k blu ray, you can notice it has a greyish tint cast over it. Honestly, the preview window from the home screen looks more like hdr to me but I can't really tell if its thats just something the xbox does. I just want to know if others ran into the same scenario with the home screen, as that would indicate that its just something the xbox one s does instead of actually limiting the 4k hdr playback. If no one else gets a more vibrant and brighter picture of the 4k blu ray from the home screen, then that would mean there is something wrong with my xbox or tv, so I'm very interested to hear what everyone has to say on this point. It's no surprise that the xbox one s had many 4k bugs in the past, it would be a shame if this was one of them.
Post your settings.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk
post #1706 of 2587 Old 03-10-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplayCalNoob View Post
Post your settings.

Turns out I found what the issue is after researching more and more and testing with another xbox as well. So the xbox one S 4k blu ray player isn't displaying 4k hdr blu rays to the nearest of its fullest potential, and thats by default. A big dissapointment with microsoft as I bought the console specifically for the 4k hdr blu ray playback and this is just something the xbox does. The issue is the chroma subsampling that the xbox one s outputs at. So viewing hdr in its full glory is seen in 4:4:4 chroma subsampling which most, if not all, stand alone 4k blu ray players support. What the xbox does is automatically convert the 24p 4:4:4 signal to a 60p 4:2:0 signal I'm assuming its because it has to run an entire interface for the system as well but it severely degrades the hdr quality, it almost looks identical to the sdr on the same disc, just slightly better. When you see the hdr from the blu ray playing in the preview window when you press the home button, you can see the hdr in its full glory, how it is supposed to look, but once you go back to full screen, you will notice something like a layer was put on top of the picture or something, and thats actually the conversion to 4:2:0. Seeing as the xbox has the ability to display the 4:4:4 in the preview window, I'm very dissapointed that microsoft hasn't looked into this or tried to change it. Using the xbox one s for the hdr in 4k blu rays is a huge dissapointment, it greatly negates the effect of hdr and to be honest, it pretty much kills the idea of the xbox one s being a primary 4k blu ray player. The netflix hdr has issues on xbox one s, everyone knows that by now, but with the 4k blu ray playback, this is just unacceptable, I feel like Microsoft scammed consumers into buying the system, so dissapointed.
post #1707 of 2587 Old 03-10-2017, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Turns out I found what the issue is after researching more and more and testing with another xbox as well. So the xbox one S 4k blu ray player isn't displaying 4k hdr blu rays to the nearest of its fullest potential, and thats by default. A big dissapointment with microsoft as I bought the console specifically for the 4k hdr blu ray playback and this is just something the xbox does. The issue is the chroma subsampling that the xbox one s outputs at. So viewing hdr in its full glory is seen in 4:4:4 chroma subsampling which most, if not all, stand alone 4k blu ray players support. What the xbox does is automatically convert the 24p 4:4:4 signal to a 60p 4:2:0 signal I'm assuming its because it has to run an entire interface for the system as well but it severely degrades the hdr quality, it almost looks identical to the sdr on the same disc, just slightly better. When you see the hdr from the blu ray playing in the preview window when you press the home button, you can see the hdr in its full glory, how it is supposed to look, but once you go back to full screen, you will notice something like a layer was put on top of the picture or something, and thats actually the conversion to 4:2:0. Seeing as the xbox has the ability to display the 4:4:4 in the preview window, I'm very dissapointed that microsoft hasn't looked into this or tried to change it. Using the xbox one s for the hdr in 4k blu rays is a huge dissapointment, it greatly negates the effect of hdr and to be honest, it pretty much kills the idea of the xbox one s being a primary 4k blu ray player. The netflix hdr has issues on xbox one s, everyone knows that by now, but with the 4k blu ray playback, this is just unacceptable, I feel like Microsoft scammed consumers into buying the system, so dissapointed.
If true, this is extremely disappointing. I would like further confirmation on this, as I bought a Xbox One S specifically for playing HDR Blu-ray.
post #1708 of 2587 Old 03-10-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1120
Quote:
Matt McRae mentioned this during the HDR gaming uproar. He and his team thought that it was strange that MS chose that colorspace. I think it was geared toward gaming.

post #1709 of 2587 Old 03-10-2017, 02:04 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9529 Post(s)
Liked: 6221
Quote:
I've never seen this effect with my XBOne S units. Like other devices, whether HDR with 444 or 420, the HDR picture looks just as vibrant on my Sony UHD TV.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1710 of 2587 Old 03-10-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've never seen this effect with my XBOne S units. Like other devices, whether HDR with 444 or 420, the HDR picture looks just as vibrant on my Sony UHD TV.
In regards to what matt mcrae mentioned before, it seems some specific manufacturers take the subsampling conversion into account and automatically corrects the picture. I've seen sony hdr tvs playing from the xbox one s and im sure they are one of those manufacturers. I guess that is what matt was saying in regards to them addressing this issue specifically for the xbox with the vizio p series. I'm assuming that if you press the home button and see the picture looking better from the preview window, then you are dealing with this issue with the xbox one s. If not, then it would be safe to assume that your tv manufacturer takes care of that problem. I'm sure sony does but not sure about all the others.
aaronwt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu-ray , epson 6040ub , upscaling 4k , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page