Xbox One S-UHD Blu-Ray Player Aug 2016 - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3686Likes

post #1741 of 2587 Old 03-14-2017, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked: 4331
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyme View Post
Do you think and HDR movie as a more dim image? Have you tested the xbox player vs a stand alone UHD?
I have tested yes, but you need to have separate calibration for SDR and HDR.

It's movie per movie (or scene) related issue, not a global fact that HDR movies looked more dimmed.

Commercial Theatrical release mastering is different from HDR mastering which is different from SDR.

The issue with HDR is that it will look different if you have 10x calibrated displays, while in SDR these 10x displays will have tighter matching.

In HDR, the internal display tone/gamut mapping is affecting the final results, it will need some years to pass, so companies will left from their mistakes and improve their internal programming.
Dave Harper likes this.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
V/P: eeColor 3D LUT Box P/G: Murideo Six-G, DVDO AVLab TPG
Meter: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 2587 Old 03-14-2017, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecTEDDD View Post
The issue with HDR is that it will look different if you have 10x calibrated displays, while in SDR these 10x displays will have tighter matching.

In HDR, the internal display tone/gamut mapping is affecting the final results, it will need some years to pass, so companies will left from their mistakes and improve their internal programming.
So i have a KS8000 samsung, the same HDR movie can look different on a Sony ou Panny even if they are all professional calibrated ?

If that is the case, i hate my tv with HDR movies and Games lol

Btw are you a professional colorist or tv calibrator? just wandering :P
post #1743 of 2587 Old 03-14-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So i have a KS8000 samsung, the same HDR movie can look different on a Sony ou Panny even if they are all professional calibrated ?

If that is the case, i hate my tv with HDR movies and Games lol

Btw are you a professional colorist or tv calibrator? just wandering :P
Yes, they will look differently, since it's TV has internally different gamut/tone mapping and each TV has different peak output.

See there for more info about HDR: http://www.lightillusion.com/uhdtv.html + http://www.lightillusion.com/hdr_calibration.html

BTW there thread about HDR to the Display Calibration area of the forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-di...iscussion.html

You can say that I'm deeply involved to calibration world. ...See my signature, I have designed a calibration disk @ 2013 where you can calibrate up to 9261 colors without user prompt from a blu-ray disk without using an external pattern generator, to take in idea.

Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version for Free Calibration S/W: LightSpace ZRO / HCFR
S/W: ColourSpace INF, LightSpace XTP, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, ChromaPure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 2587 Old 03-14-2017, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
This is not the correct forum for disc authoring, mastering, display calibration, etc. Please continue in the correct forum areas.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1745 of 2587 Old 03-14-2017, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Hi, there 3 monitor that current HDR10 movies are being mastered:

Sony BVM-X300 30inch 2160p OLED (1000/1.100nits)
Dolby Pulsar Monitor 42inch 1080p (Direct LED) (4.000nits)
SIM2 HDR47ES4MB 47inch 1080p LED (4.000nits)

From the infoframe metadata I have from 105 UHD Movies:

51 titles mastered @ 4.000nits
42 titles mastered @ 1.000nits
10 titles mastered @ 1.100nits
02 titles doesn't have any metadata.....
You may want to use commas "," instead of periods "." when posting those nit numbers. It will confuse us poor Americans who see that as only 4 nits, 1 nit and 1.1 nits instead of the intended 4,000 nits, 1,000 nits, etc.

Quote:
....HDR is specification for consumer display, not for projection, there no specifications for consumer HDR projection playback, we are using workarounds with multipliers and tricks......
You can say that again!!! You should see my personal 4K HDR/WCG tweaks in the Sony VPL-VW550/675ES thread! Absolutely nothing like what I would set and calibrate to in 1080p SDR bt709, but the end results are pretty stunning actually!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
This is not the correct forum for disc authoring, mastering, display calibration, etc. Please continue in the correct forum areas.
Oh sorry, I replied before I got to this point in the thread! Let me know if you'd like me to delete it?
ConnecTEDDD likes this.

Last edited by Dave Harper; 03-14-2017 at 03:10 PM.
post #1746 of 2587 Old 03-14-2017, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
We'll move on from here: Continue in the HDR, display, or calibration forums depending on the topic. Please stick to the X-Box.
Dave Harper likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1747 of 2587 Old 03-14-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
You may want to use commas "," instead of periods "." when posting those nit numbers. It will confuse us poor Americans who see that as only 4 nits, 1 nit and 1.1 nits instead of the intended 4,000 nits, 1,000 nits, etc.
Thanks for reminding this issue with regions. I will do this to any future post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
You can say that again!!! You should see my personal 4K HDR/WCG tweaks in the Sony VPL-VW550/675ES thread! Absolutely nothing like what I would set and calibrate to in 1080p SDR bt709, but the end results are pretty stunning actually!
There a lot of tweaks with 3D LUT for HDR here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post48344905 or http://www.lightillusion.com/lut_manual.html#source_colour_space

post #1748 of 2587 Old 03-14-2017, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 4033 Post(s)
Liked: 3202
An HDR dim Samsung, check this out

SERIOUS NOTE! For those having video that is too dim! Check the following.
Standard: Every Input's Eco Solutions is a separate entity, and so therefore, each and everyone of them has to be turned Off!
Standard HDR is also a separate entity from Standard, and it's Eco Solutions also must also be turned Off!
Movie Mode is separate from Standard, also check for normal and HDR usage re the Eco Solutions.

UN65KS9800 - Mine
QN49Q70R / UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
post #1749 of 2587 Old 03-16-2017, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Dual HDMI?

I am wondering if there is a reasonably priced dual HDMI 4K HDCP 2.2 splitter, that will pass a UHD HDR 4K signal through one side and whatever is needed to pass an Atmos – DTS-X audio signal through the other.

There are plenty of people who have receivers that are not able to pass through a 2.2 signal and/or have their UHD Blu-rays hooked to their TVs and are unable to play a Dolby Atmos disk. Not all UHD Blu-ray players have dual hdmi output like the Oppo. The X-box one s is one example.

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.
post #1750 of 2587 Old 03-17-2017, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanlee View Post
I am wondering if there is a reasonably priced dual HDMI 4K HDCP 2.2 splitter, that will pass a UHD HDR 4K signal through one side and whatever is needed to pass an Atmos – DTS-X audio signal through the other.

There are plenty of people who have receivers that are not able to pass through a 2.2 signal and/or have their UHD Blu-rays hooked to their TVs and are unable to play a Dolby Atmos disk. Not all UHD Blu-ray players have dual hdmi output like the Oppo. The X-box one s is one example.
HI, I was searching for the same and I finally got the HD Fury Integral which is doing the job very well. I'm using it to have 2 outputs from XBOX One S, one to go directly to TV for HDR 4K movies and the other to go thru eeColor 3D LUT Box -> TV for normal Blu-Ray.

It has BT application for iPhone also; where you can check the signal and do any adjustments you like real-time.

If you look for other models, be sure that it's supporting HDCP 2.2
aaronwt likes this.

post #1751 of 2587 Old 03-17-2017, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
HI, I was searching for the same and I finally got the HD Fury Integral which is doing the job very well. I'm using it to have 2 outputs from XBOX One S, one to go directly to TV for HDR 4K movies and the other to go thru eeColor 3D LUT Box -> TV for normal Blu-Ray.

It has BT application for iPhone also; where you can check the signal and do any adjustments you like real-time.

Thanks - I will check that out.

Update on this post here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vid...egral-130.html

Post #3876

7.4.6 system with Denon 8500, Additional Amps: Emotiva (front and center) and NAD (wide), classic Klipsch speakers.

Last edited by Alanlee; 03-21-2017 at 07:31 AM.
post #1752 of 2587 Old 03-18-2017, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I am cross-posting this from the Denon 2016 receiver thread in hopes of getting an answer...

I need some help with my Passengers UHD disc. My setup:

Denon X2300W
Xbox One S
5.1.2 speaker setup with the .2 configured as upward Atmos speakers.
LG C65P OLED

The Xbox One S is set up to output Bitstream via the Insider program. I've confirmed it can output Dolby Atmos using the Star Trek: Beyond UHD. Other BR discs also properly output DTS-MA, etc. including the Passengers BR disc.

However, when I attempt to play the Passengers UHD (also Dolby Atmos), I am getting no sound. The 2300W is reporting an audio input of "unknown", although it shows 9 speakers as the input source.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Anyone else have the Passengers UHD, an Xbox One, and able to replicate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1753 of 2587 Old 03-22-2017, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello Everyone,

I own an Xbox One-S and a 4K TV, however my 4K TV is unfortunately not HDR-capable (LG 60UF7300 - I made the mistake of purchasing it right before HDR took off ). While my TV is not capable of HDR, it does at least have a 10-bit deep color panel which the Xbox One-S recognizes.

I'm very interested in Planet Earth II in 4k, but I'm worried about what type of HDR - SDR conversion the Xbox One-S might apply to the Planet Earth II UHD discs. Even with this variable, is it safe to say that it should still look better than the normal blu-ray version, simply due to the increase in resolution and (possibly) the 10-bit expanded color? Or would the processing involved in downgrading the picture to standard dynamic range negate the benefits of having the UHD copy?

Thanks very much for any help.
post #1754 of 2587 Old 03-22-2017, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Just picked up a Xbox one s. Anything specific I need to do to make sure 4k hdr 5.2.4 works?
post #1755 of 2587 Old 03-22-2017, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I have tested yes, but you need to have separate calibration for SDR and HDR.

It's movie per movie (or scene) related issue, not a global fact that HDR movies looked more dimmed.

Commercial Theatrical release mastering is different from HDR mastering which is different from SDR.

I agree, a long while for sure !!
ConnecTEDDD likes this.
post #1756 of 2587 Old 03-22-2017, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Thank you sir, I will be giving it a try also...
post #1757 of 2587 Old 03-23-2017, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Maybe I am misreading the answer I received on the HD Fury Integral thread. I think I was told that in order to get the X-box one s to play UHD and Atmos with my system, I would pay $200 for the HD Fury Integral and $200 for a linker, so $400.

post #1758 of 2587 Old 03-23-2017, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe I am misreading the answer I received on the HD Fury Integral thread. I think I was told that in order to get the X-box one s to play UHD and Atmos with my system, I would pay $200 for the HD Fury Integral and $200 for a linker, so $400.
Hi, you AVR don't support HDCP 2.2, so you have to send HDCP 1.4 for the sound.

HD Fury Integral has 2 outputs, the top can be configured to be 2.2 or 1.4, the bottom is always 1.4.

If you use the Top Output to send directly to Display and the bottom to send to AVR (for the sound), the AVR don't support HDR/REC.2020, so this probably will force the XBOX to downgrade to REC.709 without HDR, but since I haven't tested something similar, the official HD Fury reply is always more accurate.

I used HD Intergral to get 2 video outputs, not tested audio because it was not available Atmos capable AVR.
Alanlee likes this.

post #1759 of 2587 Old 03-25-2017, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
HD Fury Integral will not down down-convert the signal from 4K to 1080P to be compatible with input to receiver. The HD Fury Linker is needed for that. The HD Fury Integral will downconvert HDMI spec to be compatible with legacy equipment. I tried getting Integral to work with my PS4 Pro and Yamaha RX-A2000 prior to finally upgrading to RX-A2050 that supports 4K. Talking to HD Fury, they said I would need the linker as well to get this to work so I could pass the video via HDMI 2.0 input to TV via Integral and downconvert via the Integral HDMI 1.4 output to 1080P for the receiver. In its current state without video downconversion, the receiver gets confused and doesn't output anything.
Alanlee likes this.
post #1760 of 2587 Old 03-27-2017, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't know if I have done anything wrong, and I'm sure someone will tell me if I am.

My current set up is a Panasonic CX700 which is non-hdr. I have the xbox 1 s which is directly connected to the tv with a digital optical cable for audio. (my AVR is 1.4 not 2.2)

I was very excited about purchasing The Revenant which I understood was filmed in 8k. I was eager about comparing it as of course the UHD comes with the blu ray too. So I loaded up the film, UHD in xbox and the blu ray in the PS3.

I was waiting for that "wow" moment but in truth I struggled to see a big difference between picture quality. it was tough to see if the 4K version was any better at all to be honest. I have followed the picture perfect guide from this site for my TV so both outputs have the same picture spec on them.

Is this because the difference is nominal and that you really need HDR to get that wow moment? Or is the xbox 1 S a poor 4k player. Or is it an unfair comparison? in that to properly compare I should set up the PS3 on a full HD TV and not a 4k TV?

many thanks
post #1761 of 2587 Old 03-27-2017, 11:04 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9650 Post(s)
Liked: 6335
You really need hdr. The revenant uses natural lighting and the UHd hdr playback of it really highlights what hdr is capable of. But you should still be able to see the higher resolution details from close-ups and far away shots. If you are sitting close enough to your UHd TV. I sit four feet away from my 65" set when watching UHD BDs. And the resolution differences have been obvious on the titles I compared.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-27-2017 at 11:08 AM.
post #1762 of 2587 Old 03-27-2017, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by endol View Post
I was very excited about purchasing The Revenant which I understood was filmed in 8k. I was eager about comparing it as of course the UHD comes with the blu ray too.
Approximately 13% of The Revenant was shot in 6.5K on the Alexa 65, with the remainder filmed in 3.4K on the Alexa XT and M cameras. The 3.4K footage was upscaled for the 4K DCP, so at least the final print of the film was finished with a fairly minimal upscale to achieve 4K. Most UHD discs generate their 4K file from a significantly lower resolution 2K DCP, so The Revenant should, despite being an upscale, look better than those sourced from lower resolution sources.
aaronwt likes this.
post #1763 of 2587 Old 03-28-2017, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
thanks to both for the input - I will try again in better lighting conditions. I sit about 6ft away I would estimate from the screen.

I checked my xbox settings and everything looked fine that end. Outputting at 2160p according to the TV, set to 4k resolution and the colour at 10bit which my screen is.
post #1764 of 2587 Old 03-28-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I sit 1.5 feet from my TV so I can notice the difference, I also had the doctor shave a very thin layer of my eyeballs so I can benefit from HDR.

I also have ear extenders that makes me look like a monkey so I can enjoy Dolby Atmos.

I thank the TV industry lots for bringing me such stunning new technology that justifies the extravagant prices I paid for this stuff.
post #1765 of 2587 Old 03-28-2017, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post
I sit 1.5 feet from my TV so I can notice the difference, I also had the doctor shave a very thin layer of my eyeballs so I can benefit from HDR.

I also have ear extenders that makes me look like a monkey so I can enjoy Dolby Atmos.

I thank the TV industry lots for bringing me such stunning new technology that justifies the extravagant prices I paid for this stuff.
If you have nothing to do contribute then just keep your trolling away
post #1766 of 2587 Old 03-28-2017, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
There is a lot of incorrect info in this post im afraid. For the 4:4:4 part as already stated the HDMI 2.0a/b as the limitation on only outputting 4:2:0 at 60FPS 4k. So the Xbox is doing exactly what she can do. 24p 4k 60fps at 4:2:0. So far so good.

Now the second part that you mention:

"When you see the hdr from the blu ray playing in the preview window when you press the home button, you can see the hdr in its full glory, how it is supposed to look, but once you go back to full screen, you will notice something like a layer was put on top of the picture or something, and thats actually the conversion to 4:2:0.",

Thats completely wrong, what is happening is actually very simple. When you press the home button and see the movie inside the Xbox system window, the colours default to the system color space that is SWG rec 709, but when you put the movie in full screen it switch back to the correct color space for HDR , WCG and rec 2020.

Its very easy to test, just go to your xbox settings and uncheck HDR. Then try the UHD bluray again, and you will see that the colours wont change at all, between the system and full screen. So there is no 4:2:0 conversion. Its only color spaces working out.

I´m not a big fan of HDR because it always looks a bit dim compared to SDR, that's why a lot of people use Dynamic rage at Low or medium to compensate that ( including me)
Someone on the KS8000 thread said I should use the 8 bit setting on the Xbox one s vs the 10 bit I selected since my tv is hdr10. He said if I play an hdr10 video it'll automatically kick in to 10 bit. Then some Mumbo jumbo. I don't get it all. I just want the best picture. Do you or anyone know what settings I should use in the Xbox one s? All I have is straight hookup with the 2.0 hdmi cables. No receiver and the ks8000 4ktv. Thanks!
post #1767 of 2587 Old 03-28-2017, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
I bought the uhd for planet earth 2 and it looks awesome.
post #1768 of 2587 Old 03-28-2017, 10:11 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9650 Post(s)
Liked: 6335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mab2 View Post
Someone on the KS8000 thread said I should use the 8 bit setting on the Xbox one s vs the 10 bit I selected since my tv is hdr10. He said if I play an hdr10 video it'll automatically kick in to 10 bit. Then some Mumbo jumbo. I don't get it all. I just want the best picture. Do you or anyone know what settings I should use in the Xbox one s? All I have is straight hookup with the 2.0 hdmi cables. No receiver and the ks8000 4ktv. Thanks!
I have it set fro 10 bit and have not had any issues with that. But I am using my XBOne S with a Sony UHD TV.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1769 of 2587 Old 03-28-2017, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any idea when official atmos upgrade roll out? Any chance of DV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1770 of 2587 Old 03-29-2017, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibaji View Post
Any idea when official atmos upgrade roll out? Any chance of DV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The update apparently is rolling out today to everyone. The bitstreaming is part of the XBox Creators Update.
aaronwt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu-ray , epson 6040ub , upscaling 4k , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page