Xbox One S-UHD Blu-Ray Player Aug 2016 - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3683Likes

post #2041 of 2575 Old 09-21-2017, 09:23 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8971 Post(s)
Liked: 5752
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYHDTV View Post
well I just shipped off my white XB1 S with 1T hd. for trade on the MOST AWESOME GAME CONSOLE .... E V E R.... !!!!!!. NOT. but got a opportunity to do so with better trade in value compared to GAMESTOP... but on NOV 2. should get the next rendition of XBX aka Scorpio..
Who did you use for a trade in?

I still need to do something with one of my XB1S units.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2575 Old 09-23-2017, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

Quick question - I have a roughly year old XB1S (fully current with all updates) connected to my Vizio M80-D3 (2016). Games play fine, streaming in 4k is fine, almost works fine (connected to my Arcam Avr550). UHDs are a problem. Every UHD I own or rent plays fiune for an hour and then starts experiencing bad freezing/stuttering to the point it's unwatchable. This is consistent and I assume is an XBOX hardware issue? Even if I try shutting down the unit overnight and resume play, the stuttering exists (but only at that 60+ min in section and beyond).

Any help or guidance here would be appreciated. I think it's still under warranty so i'm wondering if i'm crazy to consider sending it back to microsoft or even considering buying a standalone UHD player?

EDIT: I did some additional troubleshooting today that leads me to believe it's the XBOX so I am scheduling a replacement/repair with MS. Wish me luck!

Thanks!

Last edited by dsss12; 09-23-2017 at 08:54 AM.
post #2043 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsss12 View Post
Hi everyone,

Quick question - I have a roughly year old XB1S (fully current with all updates) connected to my Vizio M80-D3 (2016). Games play fine, streaming in 4k is fine, almost works fine (connected to my Arcam Avr550). UHDs are a problem. Every UHD I own or rent plays fiune for an hour and then starts experiencing bad freezing/stuttering to the point it's unwatchable. This is consistent and I assume is an XBOX hardware issue? Even if I try shutting down the unit overnight and resume play, the stuttering exists (but only at that 60+ min in section and beyond).

Any help or guidance here would be appreciated. I think it's still under warranty so i'm wondering if i'm crazy to consider sending it back to microsoft or even considering buying a standalone UHD player?

EDIT: I did some additional troubleshooting today that leads me to believe it's the XBOX so I am scheduling a replacement/repair with MS. Wish me luck!

Thanks!
Fixed?

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2044 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kind of... so the stuttering turned out to be a bad sequence of discs (I only had access to a limited stock of UHD discs). I tried replacement discs and that solved the stuttering issue, which is great, EXCEPT that I also started experiencing lip-sync issues on the XBOX only when playing back certain discs using high res surround audio formats. This was consistently reproducible, and not just on UHD discs, but on regular blu-rays when playing various high-res surround formats, but then went away if I switched to pcm stereo. I tried this on both XBOX units since I did an advanced exchange and the exact same delay issues happened on multiple discs.

Honestly, I searched around and found tons of examples of XBOXs and Lip-Sync issues with conflicting reports of how to fix, I tried a few, to no avail, but then broke down and purchased a Sony UBP-X800 (which is also far form perfect since it won't support DV) and that immediately solved the lip sync issues. I'm still within the return window on the Sony so if anyone has ideas as to how to solve the lip sync issues, i'd welcome those. I should add i'm running everything through an Arcam AVR-550 into a Vizio M80-D3 (2016). No other sources have any lip sync delay, including streaming media via XBOX.
post #2045 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I think I'm having the same issue as you guys, and definitly looks like a bug.

I have my Xbox One S connected to my Denon 6300h w/ Atmos and my TV which is a KS8000.

When Atmos is selected in the Audio Output of the xbox settings, Atmos and DTS:X on UHD discs works perfectly.

But when Atmos is selected, My games and movies I watch on Netflix/Amazon etc, read as Dolby Surround or Stereo. When I press the surround button on the bottom of the Denon Remote the only options are Stereo, Dolby Surround or Multi Channel Audio.

When I switch back to Bitstream on the Audio Output on the XB1S, Netflix, Amazon, games etc are rendered properly in DTS and I can select DTS:X+ Neural, and other surround upmixers.

This is a bug, right? I do not remember having to switch back and forth a few weeks ago..

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #2046 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
I think I'm having the same issue as you guys, and definitly looks like a bug.

I have my Xbox One S connected to my Denon 6300h w/ Atmos and my TV which is a KS8000.

When Atmos is selected in the Audio Output of the xbox settings, Atmos and DTS:X on UHD discs works perfectly.

But when Atmos is selected, My games and movies I watch on Netflix/Amazon etc, read as Dolby Surround or Stereo. When I press the surround button on the bottom of the Denon Remote the only options are Stereo, Dolby Surround or Multi Channel Audio.

When I switch back to Bitstream on the Audio Output on the XB1S, Netflix, Amazon, games etc are rendered properly in DTS and I can select DTS:X+ Neural, and other surround upmixers.

This is a bug, right? I do not remember having to switch back and forth a few weeks ago..
My Denon says surround unless the source is atmos then switches to atmos. Most videos on Amazon and Netflix don't have atmos so it says surround. If I play a vudu movie in uhd it will switch to atmos. Basically I think the surround is its default and it will play atmos when the source is atmos. It is kind of the same in the Denon itself. If I want to use my atmos speakers I need to change it so it uses Dolby surround which takes the source and converts it to use the atmos speaker but it is not a true atmos.
post #2047 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oarneb View Post
My Denon says surround unless the source is atmos then switches to atmos. Most videos on Amazon and Netflix don't have atmos so it says surround. If I play a vudu movie in uhd it will switch to atmos. Basically I think the surround is its default and it will play atmos when the source is atmos. It is kind of the same in the Denon itself. If I want to use my atmos speakers I need to change it so it uses Dolby surround which takes the source and converts it to use the atmos speaker but it is not a true atmos.
So even though most netflix programming is DD+ the Denon will always say Dolby surround? So is it really DD+? I read somewhere that Dolby has changed their tag to always say Surround??

When watching BR I will get the denon to display all the codecs depending on the disc (True HD, DTS-Master, Atmos, etc.) but when playing games I get Dolby Surround. I have the XB1S to let the avr do the processing in the BR app and then under the general audio for XB1S I have it set to Bitstream. Is this right? This box can be annoying; makes me want to go back to a regular old BR player but I use the One Guide/Live TV for my OTA with my Vizio.
post #2048 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 10:43 AM
UHD Addict

Dolby Surround is just taking the input signal and simulating Atmos. My Onkyo will show the DD+ input and show that Dolby surround is being applied. I use Dolby SUrround for everything from 2.0 DD/DD+/Dolby True HD up to 7.1 DD+/DOlby True HD. And up to 6.1 DD.
wmarkw likes this.

post #2049 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Dolby Surround is just taking the input signal and simulating Atmos. My Onkyo will show the DD+ input and show that Dolby surround is being applied. I use Dolby SUrround for everything from 2.0 DD/DD+/Dolby True HD up to 7.1 DD+/DOlby True HD. And up to 6.1 DD.

+1

I think what's happening is that if ATMOS is selected but the source is not encoded in ATMOS, for the ceiling speakers to produce "some" sound the AVR makes "fake" ATMOS mix and that's why i think it says for you surround, otherwise the extra channels will be completely off until you use true ATMOS content.

Same like if you have 7.1 set up but the source is only 5.1, the 2 extra back channels get a mixed by AVR and as far as I heard it just copies whatever output goes to the back channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2050 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Hmm ok. Well like the other poster said above when I toggle sound modes on my denon when using the XB1S I can select: Stereo/Dolby Surround/Virtual/Mono/etc. Which leads me to believe I'm receiving a "stereo" signal 2.0 instead of a Digital 5.1 signal. When using my Roku or when Casting sources like Netflix or Amazon, my denon will display DD+ (When toggling sound modes I get: Stereo/Dolby Digital/Mono/Virtual, etc.) and then from there I can upmix the atmos and it will show DD+ Surrounds or something like that.
javan robinson likes this.
post #2051 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Hmm ok. Well like the other poster said above when I toggle sound modes on my denon when using the XB1S I can select: Stereo/Dolby Surround/Virtual/Mono/etc. Which leads me to believe I'm receiving a "stereo" signal 2.0 instead of a Digital 5.1 signal. When using my Roku or when Casting sources like Netflix or Amazon, my denon will display DD+ (When toggling sound modes I get: Stereo/Dolby Digital/Mono/Virtual, etc.) and then from there I can upmix the atmos and it will show DD+ Surrounds or something like that.
Yeah I think you're talking about me. And no, I don't think we are crazy!

Let me take a few pitctures for reference..

Because I suspect too, that selecting "Atmos" in the audio output in the XBS settings, will then "downgrade" any audio to stereo and just put it out how many speakers you have.

Pics incoming..
wmarkw likes this.

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #2052 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, here is my "not crazy" post.

Image 1 is when Dolby Atmos is selected on my XB1S. As you can see on both the surround menu, and the front of the receiver, Dolby Surround, Stereo, and MC are my only options.

Image 2 is when playing a 5.1 film (Dr Strange) on Netflix and the same surround options are present, DS, Stereo and Multi Channel.

Image 3 is when I turn OFF Atmos in the output and put it on DTS and voila, All of my Surround options/upmixers are back, including DTS + Neural:X (my current fave)

Image 4 is the same film on Netflix and as you can see, all of the upmixers/surround formats are present, when they definitly were NOT before when Atmos was selected.

So, please tell me: How crazy am I on a scale of 1-10?

Also for the record, when Atmos is selected - Atmos works fine whether it's for UHD movies, or Netflix movies that support Atmos such as Okja.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	839.7 KB
ID:	2296460   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	674.3 KB
ID:	2296462   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	822.7 KB
ID:	2296464   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	865.9 KB
ID:	2296466  
wmarkw likes this.
post #2053 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@javan robinson nice work. I think all my audio issues (or my issues lol) started when the atmos option arrived. I do not use my XB1S for streaming but might lean that way if Netflix does more atmos movies. Now the test is if you can get atmos on that Ojka movie with out it being selected in the settings. I have no issues with my BR app but I should be getting a DD/5.1 for OTA broadcasts and games. So I will play with this setting tonight as well and see whats what. Also how did you get your denon to overlay the Sound options on the tv? I can get the main menu on my vizio and I use the Movie Sound button on my harmony but it only shows the sound options on the denon display. thanks!
post #2054 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Okay, here is my "not crazy" post.

Image 1 is when Dolby Atmos is selected on my XB1S. As you can see on both the surround menu, and the front of the receiver, Dolby Surround, Stereo, and MC are my only options.

Image 2 is when playing a 5.1 film (Dr Strange) on Netflix and the same surround options are present, DS, Stereo and Multi Channel.

Image 3 is when I turn OFF Atmos in the output and put it on DTS and voila, All of my Surround options/upmixers are back, including DTS + Neural:X (my current fave)

Image 4 is the same film on Netflix and as you can see, all of the upmixers/surround formats are present, when they definitly were NOT before when Atmos was selected.

So, please tell me: How crazy am I on a scale of 1-10?

Also for the record, when Atmos is selected - Atmos works fine whether it's for UHD movies, or Netflix movies that support Atmos such as Okja.
WHen you have the bitstream enabled to dolby atmos check the input signal and output on your receiver. You will see that it inputs 7.1 and your receiver is outputting 5.1.2 or whatever you have.
post #2055 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@javan robinson nice work. I think all my audio issues (or my issues lol) started when the atmos option arrived. I do not use my XB1S for streaming but might lean that way if Netflix does more atmos movies. Now the test is if you can get atmos on that Ojka movie with out it being selected in the settings. I have no issues with my BR app but I should be getting a DD/5.1 for OTA broadcasts and games. So I will play with this setting tonight as well and see whats what. Also how did you get your denon to overlay the Sound options on the tv? I can get the main menu on my vizio and I use the Movie Sound button on my harmony but it only shows the sound options on the denon display. thanks!
Quote:
WHen you have the bitstream enabled to dolby atmos check the input signal and output on your receiver. You will see that it inputs 7.1 and your receiver is outputting 5.1.2 or whatever you have.
Okay, so

Image 1. Audio Output on the XB1S is set to "Atmos". Info Screen is up while viewing Blade Runner on Amazon which is in 5.1. In the picture you can see that a 7.1 signal is being sent to the speakers, although the signal is PCM.

(note: the Signal is DTS and ONLY 5.1, or 5 speakers+LFE are active when DTS is selected in Audio Output and NOT Atmos)

Image 2. When Dolby Atmos is Selected (On Netflix) there are nothing available under surround other than Stereo, Atmos, and Multi Channel.

Image 3. Audio Output on the XB1S is set to Atmos and the Info correctly shows it being sent a Dolby Atmos Signal all the way around.

Findings: When Atmos is enabled on the XB1S, I cannot use upmixers on the content, and the signal that is being sent is PCM. The jury is still out on whether it is real 5.1/7.1 or stereo...

Also, (I didn't take an image of this) - When watching a UHD Disc (ie. proper Atmos and not on Netflix), The other upmixers are present on the surround menu including Dolby True HD + Neural:X

Oh and Mark, I am watching on my Xbox, so the surround menu comes up by default when I press the surround "movie" button on the bottom of my remote. If you are watching via ARC it will not come up I don't think. If it still isn't working for you, I would check the Video/Output Settings > Video Conversion as mine is set to "On" and also Video/On Screen Display > Info as mine is set to "On" as well.

And no, I cannot get Netflix to decode the Atmos audio via Netflix/Okja when DTS is selected as the Audio Output on the XB1S.

Hope this helps..somebody! Lol. It certainly hasn't helped me too much as I would like to stick to ONE SETTING and have ALL of my modes available (upmixers, etc). Is that too much to ask!?!!?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171011_195406 (2).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	679.2 KB
ID:	2296578   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171011_195517 (1).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	873.6 KB
ID:	2296580   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171011_195511 (2).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	907.1 KB
ID:	2296582  
wmarkw likes this.
post #2056 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@javan robinson nice write up again. I have some of my denon video overlays turned off; forgot about that, thanks for the reminder.

I'm finally able to review some of my settings and here is what i found.

This is watching OTA:

Bitstream Format: Dolby Atmos
Sound: Dolby Surround
Signal: PCM
Denon Displays: Dolby Surround

Bitstream Format: Dolby Digital
Sound: Dolby Digital
Signal: Dolby Digital
Denon Displays: Dolby Digital
I can also add my up mixers like Netrual X and DD+ Dolby Surround

Bitstream Format: DTS
Sound: DTS
Signal: DTS
Denon Displays: DTS

The latter two sounds a lot better than the Atmos one. I'm thinking this was a stereo signal I was getting??

So now i feel confident that deselecting the Dolby Atmos is now giving me digital sound. My only concern is that I know of no OTA that transmits a DTS signal so I'm a little perplexed by that. So the xbox is converting maybe the Dolby Digital stream to DTS?? A little over my head.

For me personally I use the XB1S for OTA and Movies, no streaming. I dont have a UHD to check but can I safely assume since I have my BR app letting my AVR Decode the Audio I will still get Atmos even though I deselected it in the systems menu?
post #2057 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting just got the new FALL update for the One S. Everything changed up again lol.
post #2058 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@javan robinson nice write up again. I have some of my denon video overlays turned off; forgot about that, thanks for the reminder.

I'm finally able to review some of my settings and here is what i found.

This is watching OTA:

Bitstream Format: Dolby Atmos
Sound: Dolby Surround
Signal: PCM
Denon Displays: Dolby Surround

Bitstream Format: Dolby Digital
Sound: Dolby Digital
Signal: Dolby Digital
Denon Displays: Dolby Digital

Bitstream Format: DTS
Sound: DTS
Signal: DTS
Denon Displays: DTS

The latter two sounds a lot better than the Atmos one. I'm thinking this was a stereo signal I was getting??

So now i feel confident that deselecting the Dolby Atmos is now giving me digital sound. My only concern is that I know of no OTA that transmits a DTS signal so I'm a little perplexed by that. So the xbox is converting maybe the Dolby Digital stream to DTS?? A little over my head.

For me personally I use the XB1S for OTA and Movies, no streaming. I dont have a UHD to check but can I safely assume since I have my BR app letting my AVR Decode the Audio I will still get Atmos even though I deselected it in the systems menu?
Hey thanks man and you too.

And yes I'm subscribing to the same school of thought, that selecting DTS instead of Atmos when watching any other content rather than atmos, we are getting the 'correct' audio and can apply the upmixers as well.

Though on the last thing I think you are incorrect "since I have my BR app letting my AVR Decode the Audio I will still get Atmos even though I deselected it in the systems menu"

As I mentioned earlier: "And no, I cannot get Netflix to decode the Atmos audio via Netflix/Okja when DTS is selected as the Audio Output on the XB1S"

^ this goes the same for UHD discs as well, I checked.

So, seems like a bug or a forgotten function that doesn't let the Atmos setting decode DTS.

I use my XB1S for streaming and UHD, you gotta get some UHD discs man, they're the cats pajamas!
wmarkw likes this.
post #2059 of 2575 Old 10-11-2017, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@javan robinson cool thanks man. Yeah I need to test out an atmos disc. I rented WW from redbox and I didnt get atmos but people on another thread said that it was present even though it wasnt listed in the audio menu selections.

Anywho just to throw out another hiccup like i mentioned above the XB1S just went through a big update in the last 15 minutes. So maybe they corrected some thing??

eta: switched back to the Atmos bitstream and my denon info still says PCM and Dolby Surround. If I go into the Denon menu and go to Information-Audio the format says 3/4/.1??

Last edited by wmarkw; 10-11-2017 at 07:39 PM.
post #2060 of 2575 Old 10-12-2017, 09:29 AM

I can't say I am an expert but when I listen to a dts source or dd source my receiver can upmix it to Dolby Surround to use the extra speakers. I believe the reason you guys are not seeing the options on the receiver that you want is because now the xbox is upmixing the dd or dts source to as high as you can go the Dolby surround mode. Because the signal is already upmixed you can't use other types of upmixing. If that even makes sense. When I look at my Denon to see input signal and output signal (without changing any options) it is already outputting to my atmos speakers.

Also if you guys select DTS bitstream option then what the xbox is actually doing is taking whatever the source audio is even if it is Dolby and converting it and or down grading it to std.

PCM from my understanding is just uncompressed audio. Typically it is compressed to save bandwidth. PCM is often associated with 2.0 stereo because at that point it does not need compression. However even if you are inputting Dolby Digital to your receiver it is still uncompressing it then outputting it as PCM. This is more of the typical scenario but the xbox does that work for you except for blu rays where if the option is selected it will just pass through the signal from the disc.
wmarkw likes this.
post #2061 of 2575 Old 10-14-2017, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I do not own an Xbox One S though I will be getting an Xbox One X. I am curious about display settings for those of you who use the Xbox One S for watching UHD disc movies and I guess this could also go for streaming media as well.

If it a game console and I would typically set my Xbox up using the Gaming setting and adjust/calibrate from there - for gaming.

What does everyone here do when it comes time to watch a UHD disc or stream some decent 4K content? Do you just deal with the Gaming setting or do you re adjust your settings for more of a Cinema setting/calibration?
post #2062 of 2575 Old 10-14-2017, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Adjust Setting Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean77 View Post
I do not own an Xbox One S though I will be getting an Xbox One X. I am curious about display settings for those of you who use the Xbox One S for watching UHD disc movies and I guess this could also go for streaming media as well.

If it a game console and I would typically set my Xbox up using the Gaming setting and adjust/calibrate from there - for gaming.

What does everyone here do when it comes time to watch a UHD disc or stream some decent 4K content? Do you just deal with the Gaming setting or do you re adjust your settings for more of a Cinema setting/calibration?
With the Vizio, I simply switch from a mod of Vizio's Game setting to a mod of Vizio's Calibrated Dark setting for UHD discs with Sharpness set to 0 and most processing off except Pure Cinema and Local Dimming, and a different mod of Vizio's Calibrated Dark for streaming apps that turns 'Reduce Signal Noise' and the 'Reduce Block Noise' on Low.

There was some talk of the XB1S delivering data from an incorrect color table translation, but I haven't heard much about that recently.

Space | The Media Room: 590 CUFT [10.5 L x 7.5 W x 7.5 H] | View Distance: 6' | Audyssey MultEQ | FiOS Gigabit Ethernet
Sound | 5.1.2 Atmos: Denon AVR-S920W | Pioneer A. Jones SP-BS22-LR/SP-C22/SP-T22A-LR | Polk OWM3 | Emotiva BasX S8
Vision | 4K OLED: LG C8 | LG UBK90 | Sony UBP-X800 | Apple TV 4K | Microsoft XB1S | FiOS Moto
post #2063 of 2575 Old 10-15-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdean77 View Post

I am not a serious gamer so I calibrate for best movie quality and deal with a lag when playing online. I don't think I am a good enough COD player for it to make much of a difference lol
post #2064 of 2575 Old 10-15-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpublic View Post
With the Vizio, I simply switch from a mod of Vizio's Game setting to a mod of Vizio's Calibrated Dark setting for UHD discs with Sharpness set to 0 and most processing off except Pure Cinema and Local Dimming, and a different mod of Vizio's Calibrated Dark for streaming apps that turns 'Reduce Signal Noise' and the 'Reduce Block Noise' on Low.

There was some talk of the XB1S delivering data from an incorrect color table translation, but I haven't heard much about that recently.
Hmph....I wonder if I can do something similar with my tv...without losing my Gaming calibration if I switch to a Cinema setting/calibration etc. Something for me to look in to.
post #2065 of 2575 Old 10-15-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I am not a serious gamer so I calibrate for best movie quality and deal with a lag when playing online. I don't think I am a good enough COD player for it to make much of a difference lol
Haha sounds good. I am more of a casual gamer these days but would like for it to work the way it should when I do need it etc. but same goes for watching movies. Bit of a conundrum with using the gaming console as a player as well.
post #2066 of 2575 Old 10-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@javan robinson cool thanks man. Yeah I need to test out an atmos disc. I rented WW from redbox and I didnt get atmos but people on another thread said that it was present even though it wasnt listed in the audio menu selections.

Anywho just to throw out another hiccup like i mentioned above the XB1S just went through a big update in the last 15 minutes. So maybe they corrected some thing??

eta: switched back to the Atmos bitstream and my denon info still says PCM and Dolby Surround. If I go into the Denon menu and go to Information-Audio the format says 3/4/.1??
Yeah the Xbox keeps updating, I got mine too a few days ago; went and ran a set of tests though and still the same findings, and still a PCM signal when watching anything non atmos when Audio Output is set to Atmos/Bitstream,

But it's not that big of a deal, I've accepted it, and I suppose making the switch in the settings is quicker than putting the disc in a whole nother' player.

Until next time...

Speaking of...where is the Xbox One X thread!? Anyone got any details or ideas on if the UHD drive in that is going to be the exact same or better?

post #2067 of 2575 Old 10-16-2017, 06:56 AM
UHD Addict

Probably just a newer UHD BD drive since the XB1X is coming out a year later. It really doesn't matter to me what drive they have in there as long as it works. But for me, I also rarely use the optical drive on the XB1. Plus I have a stand alone UHD BD player. So if I use the optical drive it is to play a UHD BD in my 2K setup or to test out a UHD BD in my 4K setup.

post #2068 of 2575 Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5935
Couple of questions about the current state of the One S/X:

• When it first came out, the Netflix app was borked because it forced HDR all the time, even on non HDR content. Still the same way or fixed?
  • I understand correctly that it now has a true bitstream function for lossless audio from blu-ray discs?
  • Does the Amazon app have HDR streaming?

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #2069 of 2575 Old 10-17-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Couple of questions about the current state of the One S/X:

• When it first came out, the Netflix app was borked because it forced HDR all the time, even on non HDR content. Still the same way or fixed?
  • I understand correctly that it now has a true bitstream function for lossless audio from blu-ray discs?
  • Does the Amazon app have HDR streaming?
I updated my XB1S firmware yesterday. The Netflix app is still messed up and triggering HDR 100% of the time. Yes it has bitstream out, which must be enabled in order to utilize ATMOS and DTS:X.

Can't help you on the Amazon question, I don't have Prime but hopefully someone else can chime in.
gadgtfreek likes this.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 10-17-2017 at 09:04 AM.
post #2070 of 2575 Old 10-17-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Has anyone had an issue with trying to play a 4K UHD disc, and the movie menu won't load at startup which prevents me from viewing the movie? The odd thing is that the background menu image and audio plays but there are no menu items to select. Even weirder is that this particular disc (Last Witch Hunter) played successfully the first few times I loaded it.

Not sure if this is a disc issue or the problem is with the XB1S.

It could be argued that the Last Witch Hunter is not worth a 2nd view but that's a different thread . The disc does have a useful DTS:X surround test that I would like to refer to though (similar to the surround config tool on AVRs like Denon, Yamaha)

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 10-17-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu-ray , epson 6040ub , upscaling 4k , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page