Xbox One S-UHD Blu-Ray Player Aug 2016 - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3682Likes

post #2071 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Couple of questions about the current state of the One S/X:

• When it first came out, the Netflix app was borked because it forced HDR all the time, even on non HDR content. Still the same way or fixed?
  • I understand correctly that it now has a true bitstream function for lossless audio from blu-ray discs?
  • Does the Amazon app have HDR streaming?
1. Netflix still does that even after not only several firmware updates but several Netflix updates. Although it does not seem to be a bad picture still annoying as hell.
2. Yes you have to turn that feature on. It also supports Dolby Atmos through apps now as well.
3. Yes they do
gadgtfreek likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I updated my XB1S firmware yesterday. The Netflix app is still messed up and triggering HDR 100% of the time. Yes it has bitstream out, which must be enabled in order to utilize ATMOS and DTS:X.

Can't help you on the Amazon question, I don't have Prime but hopefully someone else can chime in.
Amazon has hdr.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
gadgtfreek likes this.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #2073 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Has anyone had an issue with trying to play a 4K UHD disc, and the movie menu won't load at startup which prevents me from viewing the movie? The odd thing is that the background menu image and audio plays but there are no menu items to select. Even weirder is that this particular disc (Last Witch Hunter) played successfully the first few times I loaded it.

Not sure if this is a disc issue or the problem is with the XB1S.

It could be argued that the Last Witch Hunter is not worth a 2nd view but that's a different thread . The disc does have a useful DTS:X surround test that I would like to refer to though (similar to the surround config tool on AVRs like Denon, Yamaha)
I have not had any issues playing 4k discs or really any disc. I do have some issues with blu rays I guess but I know it is the disc and not the XBOX. Just to give you feed back .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oarneb View Post
I have not had any issues playing 4k discs or really any disc. I do have some issues with blu rays I guess but I know it is the disc and not the XBOX. Just to give you feed back .
I have not had any issues either with any disc including 3d

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #2075 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5924
Is Amazon HDR forced too?

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #2076 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No.

post #2077 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No

gadgtfreek likes this.

post #2078 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
No.

Crazy, I had the S on launch and Netflix still hasn't gotten it right. I was looking at preordering the X, so just trying to get a feel. I think on my old S, I just turned off HDR in the menu before watching something on Netflix that wasnt HDR, granted most of what I do watch (series) is in HDR.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
post #2079 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 09:58 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5728
Quote:
Crazy, I had the S on launch and Netflix still hasn't gotten it right. I was looking at preordering the X, so just trying to get a feel. I think on my old S, I just turned off HDR in the menu before watching something on Netflix that wasnt HDR, granted most of what I do watch (series) is in HDR.
It's the same way with the PS4 Pro Netflix app. HDR is always on.

I only use the Netflix app on my XB1S for content with HDR and Atmos. Since that is currently the only device I have that gets Atmos from Netflix. UNless they added more devices recently.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2080 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 10:01 AM

Kinda odd choices, just like the ATV 4K, with forced HDR.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
post #2081 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 10:06 AM

Went ahead and preordered the Xbox One X 1TB model, should be to me around 11/7 according to Best Buy.

I need to make a point to venture into gaming again, have a calibrated 75" 940E, could be fun...
aaronwt and javan robinson like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F

Last edited by gadgtfreek; 10-17-2017 at 10:10 AM.
post #2082 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Couple of questions about the current state of the One S/X:

• When it first came out, the Netflix app was borked because it forced HDR all the time, even on non HDR content. Still the same way or fixed?
  • I understand correctly that it now has a true bitstream function for lossless audio from blu-ray discs?
  • Does the Amazon app have HDR streaming?
Yep, still broken. I can't believe this is still like this, especially when 4k and HDR are hitting the "mainstream". Come on M$ and Netflix get it together!

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #2083 of 2573 Old 10-17-2017, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
I can't say I am an expert but when I listen to a dts source or dd source my receiver can upmix it to Dolby Surround to use the extra speakers. I believe the reason you guys are not seeing the options on the receiver that you want is because now the xbox is upmixing the dd or dts source to as high as you can go the Dolby surround mode. Because the signal is already upmixed you can't use other types of upmixing. If that even makes sense. When I look at my Denon to see input signal and output signal (without changing any options) it is already outputting to my atmos speakers.

Also if you guys select DTS bitstream option then what the xbox is actually doing is taking whatever the source audio is even if it is Dolby and converting it and or down grading it to std.

PCM from my understanding is just uncompressed audio. Typically it is compressed to save bandwidth. PCM is often associated with 2.0 stereo because at that point it does not need compression. However even if you are inputting Dolby Digital to your receiver it is still uncompressing it then outputting it as PCM. This is more of the typical scenario but the xbox does that work for you except for blu rays where if the option is selected it will just pass through the signal from the disc.
You're basically right. In general, the best audio setting for Xbox is 7.1 PCM if you use HDMI for audio. The bitstream, either DD or DTS, will re-compress the decoded audio to a lower lossy format mostly for the purpose of passing it to really old receivers or through optical cable. Otherwise, stay in 7.1 PCM is the best you can get. However, Xbox in general does not do up conversion from 5.1 to 7.1 at all. When you have a 5.1 audio track, the 2 rear surround channels are simply silent. To your receiver, it still think it receives PCM 7.1 and can't apply any DPL IIx or THX processing to upconvert 5.1 to 7.1. Hence this is why there is a new bitstream option just for Blu Ray app which you should use to get the best audio output in addition to be able to pass ATMOS audio track from BD discs to the receiver.

The Atmos option from Dolby Access app or fall update is the virtual Atmos processing (from the PCM 7.1 game or app audio). It is not related to BD Atmos audio. Nor is it required. To play BD atmos audio, just enable the BD bitstream audio option is enough.

Unfortunately, fall update still didn't give us a system wide real bitstream option where all apps, other than BD app, or games can bitstream its original audio out without getting decoded into 7.1 PCM first.
wmarkw likes this.
post #2084 of 2573 Old 10-18-2017, 04:44 AM

So the only other option if you are watching a movie is to look and see whether it is Dolby True HD or DTS Master HD and pick the appropriate bitstream?

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
post #2085 of 2573 Old 10-18-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post
You're basically right. In general, the best audio setting for Xbox is 7.1 PCM if you use HDMI for audio. The bitstream, either DD or DTS, will re-compress the decoded audio to a lower lossy format mostly for the purpose of passing it to really old receivers or through optical cable. Otherwise, stay in 7.1 PCM is the best you can get. However, Xbox in general does not do up conversion from 5.1 to 7.1 at all. When you have a 5.1 audio track, the 2 rear surround channels are simply silent. To your receiver, it still think it receives PCM 7.1 and can't apply any DPL IIx or THX processing to upconvert 5.1 to 7.1. Hence this is why there is a new bitstream option just for Blu Ray app which you should use to get the best audio output in addition to be able to pass ATMOS audio track from BD discs to the receiver.

The Atmos option from Dolby Access app or fall update is the virtual Atmos processing (from the PCM 7.1 game or app audio). It is not related to BD Atmos audio. Nor is it required. To play BD atmos audio, just enable the BD bitstream audio option is enough.

Unfortunately, fall update still didn't give us a system wide real bitstream option where all apps, other than BD app, or games can bitstream its original audio out without getting decoded into 7.1 PCM first.
Right and the argument has always been that your getting the same quality of sound if you set it to 5.1 or 7.1 PCM (depending on your setup) as you would with direct bitstream it is just the XBOX decoding the signal not your receiver.

I do think you are wrong about the Dolby Access bitstream option though. According to my Denon it is receiving non-atmos sources as Dolby Surround which is the same exact option I have on my Denon when I receive and HD or lower sound track to emulate Atmos. So I believe with the new bitstream option it does decode and emulate the atmos just like my receiver would it is just being handled by the XBOX.
wmarkw likes this.
post #2086 of 2573 Old 10-18-2017, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:

Good write up. When i got the insider option to allow my AVR to decode the audio in the BR app i was able to get atmos on my Denon. This was before the Atmos app and bitstream atmos option was available in the main audio settings. I would use normal 5.1 PCM and my denon would display MULTI CH IN when i play games or watch OTA. So i would think that these two options are separate from each other? @javan robinson thinks that we need to have the bitstream atmos option engaged at all times for the BR app to process atmos signal. I dont have any amtos BR so I can't test.
post #2087 of 2573 Old 10-18-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
So the only other option if you are watching a movie is to look and see whether it is Dolby True HD or DTS Master HD and pick the appropriate bitstream?
That is actually a bad choice in my opinion because the bitstream options are not HD bitstream option they are the old decoding methods you would see on a DVD essentially. Not the newer HD lossless decoding options. The best thing to do if you are watching a disc is to allow passthrough in your blu ray settings. In my opinion the other best option in the audio settings is to always keep it at the dolby atmos bitstream option. It all depends though. Like I like to use my dolby speakers for every source even though it is not a true Dolby atmos source. Others may not like that . Boils down to preferences.
post #2088 of 2573 Old 10-18-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
That is actually a bad choice in my opinion because the bitstream options are not HD bitstream option they are the old decoding methods you would see on a DVD essentially. Not the newer HD lossless decoding options. The best thing to do if you are watching a disc is to allow pass through in your Blu-ray settings. In my opinion the other best option in the audio settings is to always keep it at the Dolby atmos bitstream option. It all depends though. Like I like to use my dolby speakers for every source even though it is not a true Dolby atmos source. Others may not like that . Boils down to preferences.
OK, I think I am confused then. So instead of the menu setting where there is 5.1 PCM, 7.1 PCM, etc... They added a pass thru or bitstream option in the Blu-ray player app? So you would leave the normal settings menu to 7.1 PCM for apps, and then just make the proper bitstream setting inside the Blu-ray app?

I haven't had a One in about 12 months, so I am playing catch up for the X I just ordered.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
post #2089 of 2573 Old 10-18-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
OK, I think I am confused then. So instead of the menu setting where there is 5.1 PCM, 7.1 PCM, etc... They added a pass thru or bitstream option in the Blu-ray player app? So you would leave the normal settings menu to 7.1 PCM for apps, and then just make the proper bitstream setting inside the Blu-ray app?

I haven't had a One in about 12 months, so I am playing catch up for the X I just ordered.
Well do you have a receiver capable of atmos and or DTSX?

Yes you are correct. You would set in the audio options under settings whatever you prefer and then also in settings under disc or something then blu ray you will find an option that says something like "allow my receiver to decode the audio form disk"

You are going to be a bit blown away by the new interface I think lol they changed it quite a bit.
gadgtfreek likes this.
post #2090 of 2573 Old 10-18-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I do think you are wrong about the Dolby Access bitstream option though. According to my Denon it is receiving non-atmos sources as Dolby Surround which is the same exact option I have on my Denon when I receive and HD or lower sound track to emulate Atmos. So I believe with the new bitstream option it does decode and emulate the atmos just like my receiver would it is just being handled by the XBOX.
That's what I tried to say. The Dolby Access bitstream is simulated Atmos that works on any decoded LPCM 7.1 audio. Not to be confused with real Atmos track when you play a BD/UHD disc. The real Atmos track on BD/UHD can be passed through to your receiver (if you configured the BD app to do so) without the need of Dolby Access setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw View Post
Good write up. When i got the insider option to allow my AVR to decode the audio in the BR app i was able to get atmos on my Denon. This was before the Atmos app and bitstream atmos option was available in the main audio settings. I would use normal 5.1 PCM and my denon would display MULTI CH IN when i play games or watch OTA. So i would think that these two options are separate from each other? @javan robinson thinks that we need to have the bitstream atmos option engaged at all times for the BR app to process atmos signal. I dont have any amtos BR so I can't test.
Yes, two different settings in different places. The PCM/Bitream settings are in system audio settings section that applies to all apps and games. Then, there is a separate settings for BD app in system settings app. In this section, you get to set options for disc and BD audio. For BD audio setting, you now have the choice of pass-through to let your receiver decode (which is the bitstream we all want and the only way to playback the Atmos BD track). This applies to BD app only.

Quote:

See above.

When it comes to audio settings, Xbox One has always been confusing from day one. The bitstream option on BD app was only introduced recently. And before that we also have the wrong surround channels being mapped in apps (like Netflix) that output 5.1 audio to a 7.1 LPCM (surround being mapped to rear surrounds instead of side surrounds). That was fixed a year or two ago. But we still have two silent channels because Xbox one does not matrix 5.1 into 7.1.
gadgtfreek likes this.

Last edited by Foxbat121; 10-18-2017 at 08:56 AM.
post #2091 of 2573 Old 10-18-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Well do you have a receiver capable of atmos and or DTSX?

Yes you are correct. You would set in the audio options under settings whatever you prefer and then also in settings under disc or something then Blu-ray you will find an option that says something like "allow my receiver to decode the audio form disk"

You are going to be a bit blown away by the new interface I think lol they changed it quite a bit.
Thanks! I am running a 2.2 system, so setting to 7.1 LPCM for apps is not a big deal, I would just prefer to pass the audio from the disc to my Yamaha 3060 for decoding. Hopefully I will have my X around the 7th.

Quote:
Yes, two different settings in different places. The PCM/Bitream settings are in system audio settings section that applies to all apps and games. Then, there is a separate settings for BD app in system settings app. In this section, you get to set options for disc and BD audio. For BD audio setting, you now have the choice of pass-through to let your receiver decode (which is the bitstream we all want and the only way to playback the Atmos BD track). This applies to BD app only.

See above.

When it comes to audio settings, Xbox One has always been confusing from day one. The bitstream option on BD app was only introduced recently. And before that we also have the wrong surround channels being mapped in apps (like Netflix) that output 5.1 audio to a 7.1 LPCM (surround being mapped to rear surrounds instead of side surrounds). That was fixed a year or two ago. But we still have two silent channels because Xbox one does not matrix 5.1 into 7.1.
Thanks! Ill just roll with 7.1 LPCM in the settings menu and pass thru in the Blu-ray app.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
post #2092 of 2573 Old 10-19-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I am running a 2.2 system, so setting to 7.1 LPCM for apps is not a big deal, I would just prefer to pass the audio from the disc to my Yamaha 3060 for decoding. Hopefully I will have my X around the 7th.

Thanks! Ill just roll with 7.1 LPCM in the settings menu and pass thru in the Blu-ray app.
Speaking of the X ....
What is everyones thoughts on it. I am not a serious gamer but want the best audio visual and I have a thing for speedy electronics. I just think I will probably get like 150 for me S and then need to spend 350 for the X. I had just bought a new TV and had expensive repairs on my AC. It is hard for me to justify buying it but I am curious what others opinions are on it.

PS this might not be the right forum for this
post #2093 of 2573 Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Speaking of the X ....
What is everyones thoughts on it. I am not a serious gamer but want the best audio visual and I have a thing for speedy electronics. I just think I will probably get like 150 for me S and then need to spend 350 for the X. I had just bought a new TV and had expensive repairs on my AC. It is hard for me to justify buying it but I am curious what others opinions are on it.

PS this might not be the right forum for this
Honestly I'm a huge gamer and have all consoles. I am really excited for the X. I already have all the media I can coming in 4k though my PS4 pro and S but I want my games to look their best too so I want the X, if you aren't that big into games and aren't worried about the best looking games, the S is fine. It has all the same media & audio features the X will have

post #2094 of 2573 Old 10-19-2017, 08:47 AM

Which would you use for say streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon, the PS4 Pro or S?

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
post #2095 of 2573 Old 10-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Which would you use for say streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon, the PS4 Pro or S?
I use Xbox one s for most streaming but PS4 pro for YouTube since that actually streams youtube in 4k. The S doesn't yet

post #2096 of 2573 Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM

Most are anticipating Xbox One S retail price to drop to $150 once One X arrives. So, you will probably lucky to see $100 selling your S. You can buy new One S bundles for around $200 or less ($189 from Costco) right now. Audio and video will be the same between S and X. But X might finally support HDMI CEC (not confirmed yet AFAIK) for easier inter-op with your AV systems.
post #2097 of 2573 Old 10-19-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Most are anticipating Xbox One S retail price to drop to $150 once One X arrives. So, you will probably lucky to see $100 selling your S. You can buy new One S bundles for around $200 or less ($189 from Costco) right now. Audio and video will be the same between S and X. But X might finally support HDMI CEC (not confirmed yet AFAIK) for easier inter-op with your AV systems.
Yeah I have the 2 tb S so was thinking I might get a little extra.

You would think they could just add CEC with a software update. I mean I have no idea but it wouldn't seem like you would need special hardware for that.

Yeah I am most likely going to stick with the S but it would be cool to own an X . For the speed and on the occasion I game it would be cool to be in true 4k.
Jrocker23 likes this.
post #2098 of 2573 Old 10-19-2017, 02:29 PM

Is there any PC video card today supports HDMI CEC? I think Microsoft neglected this part of HDMI spec for too long.

Xbox basically is a PC running on AMD CPU + GPU.
post #2099 of 2573 Old 10-19-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Is there any PC video card today supports HDMI CEC? I think Microsoft neglected this part of HDMI spec for too long.

Xbox basically is a PC running on AMD CPU + GPU.
It is a bit odd. Both Sony and Nintendo have it. You might of hit the head on the nail though. I mean Sony does electronics so it just makes sense.
post #2100 of 2573 Old 10-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
I would get the XS or XX as it's geared more towards 4k and you could watch UHD's down the road. I also think the audio is superior, does PS4 or PS4Pro do Atmos yet? Xbox does it on both streaming (on a select view titles on netflix) and UHD.

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu-ray , epson 6040ub , upscaling 4k , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page