Xbox One S-UHD Blu-Ray Player Aug 2016 - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3682Likes

post #2461 of 2573 Old 05-23-2018, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
The Martian Problem

I have a hypothesis about an issue that still plagues my Xbox One S to this day. There have been a number of complaints about audio sync issues when playing movies with this platform, specifically I may have found a pattern when it comes to discs like The Martian. At the bottom of this post I pulled in some quotes from people with this exact issue, hoping to get some more feedback. Any additional evidence would be appreciated.

I believe that the audio sync issue seen in The Martian is a product of the Xbox One not correctly handling additional scenes in movies that offer SELECTABLE extended editions.

Anecdotally, I noticed that my movie would always lose sync around the time Mark Watney (Matt Damon) inventories his available food about 20 minutes into the film. As referenced here https://www.cinemablend.com/news/152...appens-in-them this lines up with the first additional scene added to the film.

I initially thought the audio sync issue had to do with the newer technology 4k/UHD signal path.

It wasn't until I experienced audio sync issues with the 2012 Total Recall standard Blu-ray that I noticed that it too had a selectable extended edition.

I have a small sample size because selectable extended editions seem to be uncommon. I probably have a couple hundred blu-rays and only have these two examples. I forget which movie I tested, but discs that have ONLY the extended edition (perhaps LoTR?) did not have any audio sync issues.

Findings:

- The Martian 4k Blu-ray Extended > Sync Issues
- The Martian 4k Blu-ray Theatrical > No Issues
- Total Recall Blu-ray Extended > Sync Issues
- Total Recall Blu-ray Theatrical > No Issues
- *Anomaly* The Martian Blu-ray (re: 1080p) Extended > No issues (yet?) . . . before this afternoon (I have the movie playing behind me) I have never been able to watch The Martian Extended without audio sync issues, however at this time the audio is still in sync (~35 minutes in). The only thing that has changed is that I watched The Martian 4k Theatrical last night. Is it perhaps possible that whatever data the player keeps on board could accidentally correct the issue? This would perhaps be the same data that allows the "Resume Playback?" option even after not playing the disc for a long time . . . but then why would it only work this once? *Just rechecked 4k extended, still problematic. (NOTE: Visuals ahead of sound.)

Thoughts:
A single disc that offers the option between a theatrical and extended edition will not contain two copies of the film, rather it will have data that is to be added/omitted based on preference. It would make the most sense that the extended edition would be positioned as a whole on the disc, and the player would either play or skip predetermined locations. It would seem that the Xbox One is not handling this procedure correctly. I assume Blu-ray players "buffer" their content to some degree, perhaps there is a timing issue created in the buffer when the player has to check if it is supposed to load a particular section? Obviously I am a complete layman when it comes to the inner workings of blu-ray players, just some food for thought.

Request:
If anyone else out there has another disc with an optional extended edition (Avatar?), could you test for similar behavior on the Xbox?
If you have The Martian, or Total Recall . . . can you check to see if you can confirm this behavior on the Xbox?

*NOTE* As others have noted, FF/RW can alter/fix these issues . . . it is best to just start playback and check in every 10 minutes or so.

My Setup
Xbox One S
Denon x3300w (Previously s910w that had the same issues)
Vizio M60-c3

The following people also had issues with The Martian Blu-ray, but have not necessarily found the exact same issue as me . . . Yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereisfifty View Post
Just received my Martian ext edition and can confirm the exact same symptoms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
I could have written this exact same comment! The lip sync thing seems especially bad with certain titles. Every time I play The Martian I have to rewind it a dozen times to get it to resync, very frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriatrix View Post
I had the same problem playing The Martian. Had to rewind every 10 minutes or so just to correct the lip sync issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 2573 Old 05-23-2018, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChompenstein View Post
I have a hypothesis about an issue that still plagues my Xbox One S to this day. There have been a number of complaints about audio sync issues when playing movies with this platform, specifically I may have found a pattern when it comes to discs like The Martian. At the bottom of this post I pulled in some quotes from people with this exact issue, hoping to get some more feedback. Any additional evidence would be appreciated.

I believe that the audio sync issue seen in The Martian is a product of the Xbox One not correctly handling additional scenes in movies that offer SELECTABLE extended editions.

Anecdotally, I noticed that my movie would always lose sync around the time Mark Watney (Matt Damon) inventories his available food about 20 minutes into the film. As referenced here https://www.cinemablend.com/news/152...appens-in-them this lines up with the first additional scene added to the film.

I initially thought the audio sync issue had to do with the newer technology 4k/UHD signal path.

It wasn't until I experienced audio sync issues with the 2012 Total Recall standard Blu-ray that I noticed that it too had a selectable extended edition.

I have a small sample size because selectable extended editions seem to be uncommon. I probably have a couple hundred blu-rays and only have these two examples. I forget which movie I tested, but discs that have ONLY the extended edition (perhaps LoTR?) did not have any audio sync issues.

Findings:

- The Martian 4k Blu-ray Extended > Sync Issues
- The Martian 4k Blu-ray Theatrical > No Issues
- Total Recall Blu-ray Extended > Sync Issues
- Total Recall Blu-ray Theatrical > No Issues
- *Anomaly* The Martian Blu-ray (re: 1080p) Extended > No issues (yet?) . . . before this afternoon (I have the movie playing behind me) I have never been able to watch The Martian Extended without audio sync issues, however at this time the audio is still in sync (~35 minutes in). The only thing that has changed is that I watched The Martian 4k Theatrical last night. Is it perhaps possible that whatever data the player keeps on board could accidentally correct the issue? This would perhaps be the same data that allows the "Resume Playback?" option even after not playing the disc for a long time . . . but then why would it only work this once? *Just rechecked 4k extended, still problematic. (NOTE: Visuals ahead of sound.)

Thoughts:
A single disc that offers the option between a theatrical and extended edition will not contain two copies of the film, rather it will have data that is to be added/omitted based on preference. It would make the most sense that the extended edition would be positioned as a whole on the disc, and the player would either play or skip predetermined locations. It would seem that the Xbox One is not handling this procedure correctly. I assume Blu-ray players "buffer" their content to some degree, perhaps there is a timing issue created in the buffer when the player has to check if it is supposed to load a particular section? Obviously I am a complete layman when it comes to the inner workings of blu-ray players, just some food for thought.

Request:
If anyone else out there has another disc with an optional extended edition (Avatar?), could you test for similar behavior on the Xbox?
If you have The Martian, or Total Recall . . . can you check to see if you can confirm this behavior on the Xbox?

*NOTE* As others have noted, FF/RW can alter/fix these issues . . . it is best to just start playback and check in every 10 minutes or so.

My Setup
Xbox One S
Denon x3300w (Previously s910w that had the same issues)
Vizio M60-c3

The following people also had issues with The Martian Blu-ray, but have not necessarily found the exact same issue as me . . . Yet?
You might be on to something here. I just watched my copy of Total Recall Extended Edition and sure enough experienced some lip synch issues. It wasn't as bad as The Martian and it seemed to correct itself while viewing as I didn't rewind or fast forward to get it to re-synch at all. I don't know if I have any other films with extended editions on the same disc as theatrical editions but I will check. I sold my Avatar Extended Edition when I bought the 3D copy so I can't check that one. After a quick google there have been lots of reports of audio synch problems not just with blurays but also apps like Netflix and Amazon. I feel like the performance of the Xbox has generally gotten better since I have had it and I hadn't run into any other synch problems until tonight's viewing of Total Recall. I will try The Martian again tomorrow and see if it still has the problem. If you can name any other extended edition titles for me to check and I have them I will check them out and report back.
post #2463 of 2573 Old 05-27-2018, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 27
When playing non-4K source material (1080P Bluray, Plex, Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, HBO GO...) is there a way to have the XB1S upscale the output to 4K? If so, is there a settings post somewhere that shows how it should be setup? I have a JVC RS540 projector and it sounds like the picture is generally best when feeding it 4K material even if it's upscaled 1080p.

"Like a Ninja, only better!"

Current HT Room Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2464 of 2573 Old 05-29-2018, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5o View Post
When playing non-4K source material (1080P Bluray, Plex, Hulu, Netflix, Vudu, HBO GO...) is there a way to have the XB1S upscale the output to 4K? If so, is there a settings post somewhere that shows how it should be setup? I have a JVC RS540 projector and it sounds like the picture is generally best when feeding it 4K material even if it's upscaled 1080p.
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-...4k-on-xbox-one

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
KEF Q100 L/R/C, SVS SB12-NSD
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #2465 of 2573 Old 05-29-2018, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttpalmer View Post
Thanks. I actually just did some research and ran across this as you posted.

"Like a Ninja, only better!"

Current HT Room Build
post #2466 of 2573 Old 06-07-2018, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting article on the potential of the XB1S/X:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#7e448cb564c3
Jrocker23 likes this.

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #2467 of 2573 Old 07-06-2018, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just got an Xbox One S primarily for 4K movie playback. When I select 4K for the resolution, I get a "no signal" message from my projector (Optoma UHD51A) . After a minute of trying itcomes back and tells me there may be problem. I have all green checks on the screen but I can't get it to switch to 4K. Anyone encounter this before? I'm about to send this back and just get a dedicated player.

EDIT - I just tried it directly into the projector and it's working. Somehow, the signal is not going through the amp (TX-RZ720) correctly (I think).

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

Last edited by neveser; 07-06-2018 at 11:39 AM.
post #2468 of 2573 Old 07-06-2018, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post
I just got an Xbox One S primarily for 4K movie playback. When I select 4K for the resolution, I get a "no signal" message from my projector (Optoma UHD51A) . After a minute of trying itcomes back and tells me there may be problem. I have all green checks on the screen but I can't get it to switch to 4K. Anyone encounter this before? I'm about to send this back and just get a dedicated player.
I didn't see anything online that could help and no issues with it working with an Xbox one. You may want to call Xbox technical support at 1-800-4-my-xbox

I wouldn't spend money on a dedicated later until you know what the issue is, just my 2 cents

TV - LG 55C6P, LG 55UH8500, AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Dolby Atmos 5.1.2, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Switch

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Bedroom: LG 55C6P, LG Soundbar NB3530A, Xbox One X
Link to LG C8PUA Firmware https://www.lg.com/us/support-produc...5C8PUA#manuals
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #2469 of 2573 Old 07-06-2018, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
On display and settings, advanced video modes, there is an option to "Allow YCC 4:2:2". Make sure that is checked. IIRC your projector doesn't support full 18Gbps HDMI, and that will tell the XBox to negotiate a lower bitrate.

Bruce
post #2470 of 2573 Old 07-06-2018, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

EDIT - I just tried it directly into the projector and it's working. Somehow, the signal is not going through the amp (TX-RZ720) correctly (I think).

This sounds to me like an HDMI cable issue. How long is your cable run from the Xbox to the amp and from the Amp to the projector? What HDMI cables are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2471 of 2573 Old 07-07-2018, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1995 View Post
This sounds to me like an HDMI cable issue. How long is your cable run from the Xbox to the amp and from the Amp to the projector? What HDMI cables are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly what it is. The run is almost 50ft. I've ordered Ruipro fiber HDMI cable. At run this long, there's really no other option. My old monoprice redmere cable is not enough to do the job.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #2472 of 2573 Old 07-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Dolby vision now supported on Xbox one. Testing starts tonight for Xbox insider preview members.

Dolby vision media streaming

TV - LG 55C6P, LG 55UH8500, AVR - Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Dolby Atmos 5.1.2, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Switch
wmarkw, mttpalmer, Flambe and 1 others like this.

Living Room: LG 65C8, AVR Pioneer SC-LX502, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch
Link to LG UH8500 & C6 Firmware http://www.lg.com/us/support-product...D55C6P#manuals
post #2473 of 2573 Old 07-12-2018, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocker23 View Post
Dolby vision now supported on Xbox one. Testing starts tonight for Xbox insider preview members.
So... you can stream DV content through, say Netflix, but does the built-in Blu-ray player also support DV? The release is oddly specific to streaming.

Is anyone in the test group who can tell us?
post #2474 of 2573 Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
So... you can stream DV content through, say Netflix, but does the built-in Blu-ray player also support DV? The release is oddly specific to streaming.

Is anyone in the test group who can tell us?
I'm in the alpha skip ahead insider program. As I stated earlier. It's only in testing for streaming through Netflix right now.

If it goes well, other streaming apps that support Dolby vision will be updated by the various companies.

They are looking to support discs as well but that is not in the works right now outside of Microsoft's internal teams.

There is no eta for anything besides Netflix streaming with Dolby vision

Flambe likes this.

post #2475 of 2573 Old 07-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Xbox One Dolby Vision Update

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...nds-discs-fall

mttpalmer likes this.

post #2476 of 2573 Old 07-16-2018, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone,

Can anybody tell me if the Xbox Dolby Vision Netflix feature can already be used with a updated Sony AF8/A8F OLED?
post #2477 of 2573 Old 07-16-2018, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

The dolly vision update is not out yet Also, you have to check your TV's website to see if your tv does dolby vision.

The dolly vision feature will work on any Dolby Vision compatible tv

post #2478 of 2573 Old 07-17-2018, 01:55 AM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Dang!

Updated July 16, 2018:Microsoft has reached out to Windows Central to clarify the initial statement reported by CNET was not accurate. For now, Dolby Vision Xbox One support is currently set to be limited to streaming. Here's hoping Dolby Vision disc support makes its debut one day!
mttpalmer likes this.
post #2479 of 2573 Old 07-17-2018, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Not a big surprise, the DV metadata is a separate file on discs while it's embedded in the streams. It's one reason why you can't rip a disc with DV to mkv and keep the metadata - you have to do a full rip.
post #2480 of 2573 Old 07-23-2018, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Uh-oh; an unfortunate, cryptic update:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#7a8a8bbf3566

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #2481 of 2573 Old 07-23-2018, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Uh-oh; an unfortunate, cryptic update:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#7a8a8bbf3566
This was posted the other day. It's 2 posts above yours.

post #2482 of 2573 Old 07-23-2018, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This was posted the other day. It's 2 posts above yours.

Ha! Thanks, @Jrocker23 ! Not sure how I missed that; maybe subconsciously I just didn't want it to be true.
Jrocker23 likes this.

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #2483 of 2573 Old 07-23-2018, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ha! Thanks, @Jrocker23 ! Not sure how I missed that; maybe subconsciously I just didn't want it to be true.
No problem, I was hoping what you posted was something different, lol.

I think they will support discs, I think the streaming is just for testing it on a side audience right now.

post #2484 of 2573 Old 08-30-2018, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No problem, I was hoping what you posted was something different, lol.

I think they will support discs, I think the streaming is just for testing it on a side audience right now.

Any educated guess on when this streaming DV update may be released to the general public?

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #2485 of 2573 Old 08-30-2018, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Any educated guess on when this streaming DV update may be released to the general public?
It hasn't even been released to us testers yet unfortunately. They are waiting on some minor fixes & then the Netflix update. Hoping we see something by mid September for testing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
mttpalmer likes this.

post #2486 of 2573 Old 08-30-2018, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well a surprise. We just got the dolby vision update and updated Netflix app. Alpha skip ahead & alpha users should be seeing it within the hour

post #2487 of 2573 Old 08-30-2018, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Bad news for C6 owners & and it seems all 2016 LG tv's. Xbox dolby vision software is not compatible with Xbox

one.

post #2488 of 2573 Old 08-31-2018, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well a surprise. We just got the dolby vision update and updated Netflix app. Alpha skip ahead & alpha users should be seeing it within the hour

Ha! Glad I could shake things loose!

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #2489 of 2573 Old 08-31-2018, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Bad news for C6 owners & and it seems all 2016 LG tv's. Xbox dolby vision software is not compatible with Xbox one.
Oh FFS, who even knew there were different versions of DV? Has this ever some up before? Sounds like LG needs to update the 2016 models. Wondering why it hasn't already happened though; maybe not possible.

OLED55E6P (609 build)
Denon X2400H
XB1S, Roku Ultra
post #2490 of 2573 Old 08-31-2018, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Bad news for C6 owners & and it seems all 2016 LG tv's. Xbox dolby vision software is not compatible with Xbox

one.

Where is this compatibility list from? I imagine its part of the beta/alpha ring info? Just curious, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
blu-ray , epson 6040ub , upscaling 4k , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page