AVS Forum banner

Xbox One S-UHD Blu-Ray Player Aug 2016

249K views 3K replies 493 participants last post by  aaronwt 
#1 ·
Looks like we have another option for a UHD player. Hopefully it is a player and not a 4k streaming device.

XBOX One S Article

#7 · (Edited)
It's not clear at all if the console has a 4K Blu-Ray player. The only thing they announced is 4K streaming support. Where did you see the actual hardware specs?

Edit: About half of the news websites are also reporting 4K UHD Blu-Ray support, so let's hope it's true. If it is, this is a game changer for the format.

#9 ·

"Introducing the new Xbox One S. Play the greatest games lineup, including Xbox 360 classics, on a 40% smaller console. Experience richer, more luminous colors in games and video with High Dynamic Range technology. Stream 4K video on Netflix and Amazon Video, and watch UHD Blu-ray™ movies in stunning 4K Ultra HD. Includes the newly streamlined Xbox Wireless Controller."

#10 ·
"Introducing the new Xbox One S. Play the greatest games lineup, including Xbox 360 classics, on a 40% smaller console. Experience richer, more luminous colors in games and video with High Dynamic Range technology. Stream 4K video on Netflix and Amazon Video, and watch UHD Blu-ray™ movies in stunning 4K Ultra HD. Includes the newly streamlined Xbox Wireless Controller."[/QUOTE]

Thanks for confirming! I'm still waiting for a Dolby Vision player but this is great news overall.

#18 ·
YUP, there it is, it actually says it will play UHD Blu-rays.
It makes me think of something that's made out of white Lego bricks. :D

Promising, but not in stone. I'm still researching. I need to hear directly from MS. Reaching out to some on Twitter. We'll see if someone can confirm.

2TB Already up for pre-order though and I've got mine in. http://mjr.mn/1XkuDzs

#21 ·
The lack of dual HDMI output is a bummer, but I placed a preorder for the $299 500GB model. I have to decide if I'm going to get a HDMI splitter or a new AVR that supports all the latest HDMI/HDCP stuff.

Frankly I'm shocked that Xbox is supporting UHD Blu-ray, that was a big surprise.

#36 ·
Has it mentioned at all what playback the Xbox One S will support locally? From a USB drive / HDD, will it play MKV, X265, X264 etc? That would be the deal breaker / deal maker for me.

#46 ·
Ok. That page must've just went up. It wasn't like that a few moments ago.

That kinda confirms it.

Stream 4k content on Netflix and Amazon Instant Video and watch Ultra HD Blu-rayTM movies in stunning visual fidelity with High Dynamic Range.2

2. 4K streaming with select apps, see xbox.com. HDR functionality available with supported games and TVs.

#42 ·
I don't game at all, but I'm waiting to pre-order depending on the support for Dolby Vision. You can really tell how much Samsung is ripping off UHD customers if the 500GB model costs $100 LESS than a standalone UHD player.

Reactions: Paulf1
This post has been deleted
#50 ·
The Xbox one S only has 1 HDMI Output. It also has a S/PDIF out for Audio. So if your AVR is not 4K compliant you are then limited to optical for Audio.. Two USBs on back and one on front. 1 HDMI Input is also on the back..

#54 ·
So did Microsoft basically come out and say, "Here's the new Xbox One S coming this August and starting at $299" only to limit the release to a $399 option initially?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.