Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18240Likes

post #61 of 2619 Old 08-18-2016, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Does anyone know if Denon, Marantz or Pioneer are coming out with a UHD player. ...i want A UHD player that is high end.
@Dave-T I don't believe we've heard anything from those brands yet. Sony and LG may be coming to market, nothing is official yet. Panasonic claims to be the high end UHD blu-ray player right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2619 Old 08-19-2016, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 31
List of 4K UHD Bluray Players ???

Hey guys,

Can someone list out the 4K UHD Bluray players that are available ?
Not about to launch, but only the ones which are launched already and available for purchase.
More info will be appreciated, links to their official pages, Amazon links ....

Thanks & Cheers,
Aditya
post #63 of 2619 Old 08-20-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian09 View Post
Hey guys,

Can someone list out the 4K UHD Bluray players that are available ?
Not about to launch, but only the ones which are launched already and available for purchase.
More info will be appreciated, links to their official pages, Amazon links ....

Thanks & Cheers,
Aditya
Right now, to the best of my knowledge you have a choice of:

Samsung
Philips
Panasonic (although not available in the US yet)
Xbox One S

Samsung has the best selection of 4K streaming services, including YouTube, Netflix, Amazon and Ultraflix. Noticeably absent is Vudu in 4K, but it should be coming (I understand that Roku and some TV Mfrs have an exclusive for now). However, it is an uglier, plastic platform and it is slightly curved in the front to match their curved selection of TVs and Soundbars. Some report that it is a bit more picky on HDMI issues but it seems to be getting better with recent firmware.

Panasonic seems to be a great player but is expensive- not sure about the streaming selection in the US. It has more setup options for managing HDR to SDR output, etc.

Philips seems to be well liked, but is primarily a disc player and only offers streaming of Netflix and YouTube right now. Seems to be less picky than the Samsung with HDMI, etc and some have said the pic quality may be somewhat better.

The Xbox only has one HDMI out, so to take advantage of everything that UHD has to offer, you need everything in your chain to support the latest HDMI and HDCP standards. It also will not pass the raw bitstream of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X although some think it is coming later. This means all of the audio formats are converted to PCM which sounds good but loses the ability to use these object based formats effectively. 4K streaming is one of it's strengths but as with the Samsung, it does not have 4K Vudu yet.,

Hope this helps; everyone can feel free to add or correct me on these synopses.
Chad B, mhdiab, tanis38 and 2 others like this.

Living the HT Dream in 4D.
4K HDR Cinema 106"@9ft w/5.4.2 Object Surround Sound and 6 Aura Bass Shakers

Last edited by larrimore; 08-20-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2619 Old 08-21-2016, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 63
PLEASE HELP NEED 4K NETFLIX @ 24fps

Have a Sony 4k tv tried to watch netflix content through it and it streams at the annoying smooth and unnatural 60fps. Is there a player I can buy Samsung 8500 or another streaming device where I can stream it at 24fps?

Sony XBR-75Z9D
Klipsch Original RF-7s LCR & Surrounds, RS-7 Ceiling Atmos YES!! [/SIZE])
SVS PB13 Ultra
Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Denon AVR-X3300
post #65 of 2619 Old 08-22-2016, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 127
My B series streams the apps at 24hz....I thought the C series would do the same.I know its a different OS but I thought they would keep the 24p for apps.

Anyway, I believe NVidia shield tv with its latest update does Netflix,vudu and amazon at 24hz...

Edit: Opps,I recommended a streaming player,my bad..

I'am hoping the new Sony PS4K or OPPO 4K player would offer 24hz via streaming apps...

Many streamers/Blu-ray players are going the 60hz route with pulldown which stinks if you love to watch film in its native refresh rate.

Sony OLED XBR-65A1E| XBR65X950B|XBR55X900B|2-BR100/Subs|4K X10 Player
Denon - X7200WA|Roku Ultra 4k|PS4
Mirage Omnisat V2 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos set up with SVS PB2000 Sub

Last edited by PeterLewis; 08-22-2016 at 04:37 AM.
post #66 of 2619 Old 09-02-2016, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post
Right now, to the best of my knowledge you have a choice of:

Samsung
Philips
Panasonic (although not available in the US yet)
Xbox One S

Samsung has the best selection of 4K streaming services, including YouTube, Netflix, Amazon and Ultraflix. Noticeably absent is Vudu in 4K, but it should be coming (I understand that Roku and some TV Mfrs have an exclusive for now). However, it is an uglier, plastic platform and it is slightly curved in the front to match their curved selection of TVs and Soundbars. Some report that it is a bit more picky on HDMI issues but it seems to be getting better with recent firmware.

Panasonic seems to be a great player but is expensive- not sure about the streaming selection in the US. It has more setup options for managing HDR to SDR output, etc.

Philips seems to be well liked, but is primarily a disc player and only offers streaming of Netflix and YouTube right now. Seems to be less picky than the Samsung with HDMI, etc and some have said the pic quality may be somewhat better.

The Xbox only has one HDMI out, so to take advantage of everything that UHD has to offer, you need everything in your chain to support the latest HDMI and HDCP standards. It also will not pass the raw bitstream of Dolby Atmos and DTS:X although some think it is coming later. This means all of the audio formats are converted to PCM which sounds good but loses the ability to use these object based formats effectively. 4K streaming is one of it's strengths but as with the Samsung, it does not have 4K Vudu yet.,

Hope this helps; everyone can feel free to add or correct me on these synopses.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking more about Samsung actually. With your post I started to search for the alternative Lets see what we get by the end of this year
So, thats the only manufacturers who are making 4K players ?
Hope to see lot of stuff about players and projectors in 4K by the end of this year

Cheers,
Aditya
post #67 of 2619 Old 09-02-2016, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was thinking more about Samsung actually. With your post I started to search for the alternative Lets see what we get by the end of this year
Hope to see lot of stuff about players and projectors in 4K by the end of this year

Cheers,
Aditya
especially now that Japan streams 8k
post #68 of 2619 Old 09-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:

Cheers,
Aditya
Due to all of the reports about the Samsung having HDMI hand-shaking issues, I decided to go with the Philips BDP7501. I have a 60 foot run from my theater to mechanical room and I've had no hand-shaking issues at all. After I was able to configure my player and projector to play nice with each other, the Philips looks great. No issues so far.

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
post #69 of 2619 Old 09-06-2016, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Trying to decide between the Samsung, Philips, and Xbox One S UHD players. Since I have a large collection of DVDs I was wondering which would
play them the best. I have seen some very contradictory reviews. From The Philips is "bad" at deinterlacing 480i to
another review saying the Philips was much better at displaying DVDs than the Samsung. I am hoping for advice from some people who have used
both for watching DVDs.

Also is there any consensus as to which is best for 4K HDR content?

FYI I will be getting a Samsung KS8000 to go with the player.
post #70 of 2619 Old 09-07-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonys117 View Post
I am hoping for advice from some people who have used both for watching DVDs.
Also is there any consensus as to which is best for 4K HDR content?
Sorry, I can't help on DVD playback feedback, but there is no consensus on who has the best UHD HDR-10 playback because there are no calibration standards, very few HDR calibration tests, and questions about source color grading/encoding/etc. Therefore, most feedback is subjective to date. We're in a nascent time!

So the pragmatic advice is for you to experiment and get answers for yourself: find a good retailer who will work with you and has a good return policy, but even better would allow you to bring in your DVDs and do some testing.
post #71 of 2619 Old 09-10-2016, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I got the Xbox One S just because I used to use my old xbox one as my media device (streamed netflix, hbo go, showtime, etc) and I can also play games on it...it worked out because I was able to turn my xbox in for $125 credit.

I plan on turning the one S in similarly if microsoft releases the next Xbox unless it isn't backwards compatible.

W/ the New 4k sets it seems like they all stream the same apps which is cool. But my damn internet is only around 25MB so I have watched some stuff in 4k streaming (marco polo, narcos) But I just watched MAD MAX and OBLIVION on it and it is insanely good (not needing to stream).

As far as the audio, I'm deaf in my left ear so MONO is fine for me :P

Samsung KS8000 55'' w/ Xbox One S...

I also picked up The Watchmen, Superman, Batman vs Superman, and CHAPPiE!

I hope District 9 comes out soon for this...as well as some other titles (cough *Wes Anderson's films!* cough)
post #72 of 2619 Old 09-11-2016, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help me find a UHD console or Blu Ray Player Dolby Atmos

I need find a console or Blu Ray player capable to decode 3D, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
post #73 of 2619 Old 09-11-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasencio View Post
I need find a console or Blu Ray player capable to decode 3D, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.
What's your budget? All of the following are around $300.

Consoles: the PS3 and PS4 can 3D HD Blu-ray and bitstream audio for Atmos/DTS:X blu-rays. XBox One (and S) cannot bitstream audio currently.

I believe any Blu-ray player should be able to bitstream audio and most can do 3D HD blu-ray.

Some of the UHD blu-ray players can do 3D HD blu-ray, all of them can bitstream. I would look at this as your best option to future proof your purchase.
post #74 of 2619 Old 09-11-2016, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Are there any players that are normal looking? The Samsung has the wacky curved and sloped front, the Philips is just too narrow for me, like a streaming box, and I don't know anything about the Panasonic.

Especially at the prices they are charging, I want a display. Sure I can't read it sitting down, but when up close it's handy. Something along the lines of a Sony 7200 would be ideal.

I want something that looks good on the shelf along the rest of the stuff, not something with curves or looks cheap. If they were cheap (under $100 say), then I wouldn't care, but at their current prices, looks are important too.
post #75 of 2619 Old 09-12-2016, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
As I'm watching movies in 2.35:1 aspect ratio with anamorphic lens I would need a player which can change the position of the subtitles. I think Panasonic 900 would be the best player at the moment but it cannot do it.
Does Oppo players usually have that subtitle shift functionality? Just to know if that is something I could expect from Oppo's new player.

If Oppo can't do it then there is no point for me to buy a player, yet. Philips has some normal Bluray players which have the subtitle shift but for some reason the new 4K player doesn't have it.
post #76 of 2619 Old 09-12-2016, 04:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4608 Post(s)
Liked: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by neppa View Post
Does Oppo players usually have that subtitle shift functionality?
All of their Blu-ray players have had that feature.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #77 of 2619 Old 09-12-2016, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
All of their Blu-ray players have had that feature.

-Bill
That's great! So Oppo it is then. Hopefully it won't be too far away in the future and/or very expensive.
post #78 of 2619 Old 09-12-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neppa View Post
I think Panasonic 900 would be the best player at the moment but it cannot do it.
Just to correct myself. Panasonic can actually do subtitle shift but it is not mentioned in the user manual which I used as a source of information.
post #79 of 2619 Old 09-13-2016, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Oppo's 4K Ultra Blu Ray player news.....

I dont know if this news have already made the rounds on this Forum but I will post it anyway...........Oppo's 4K Ultra Blu Ray player news.....

I have a buddy who works at Oppo and he just informed me that their 4K Ultra Blu Ray player will be released before end of this year and will be priced in line with their 103D at $599.00
You can also be put on their E-Mail list so you will be informed when released. Just call Cust Svc at Oppo.
I will wait till then before I make any 4K Ultra Blu Ray player purchase (Example-the Panasonic..the Phillips).... But the Panny does sound nice!
post #80 of 2619 Old 09-16-2016, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Crap, I was hoping there were more UHD BRP out - I can't stand the look of the Samsung (nor do I trust their Quality Control in the software department at all, ever - I dropped kicked one of their original smart BRP down the road when my audio would drop out randomly for no reason after a bad firmware update that they never fixed).

The Phillips just looks weird and incredibly small so it won't match the rest of my AV equipment (and at this price point that's important).

I guess I'll have to wait on Oppo at this point? I don't mind Sony (and would have bought the PS4+ had it not been a failure in the BRP department with the lack of HDR) Sigh
post #81 of 2619 Old 09-16-2016, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 64
In regards to just UHD, is there anything the Panasonic can do that Philips can't? Audio is something I'll be bitstreaming.
post #82 of 2619 Old 09-17-2016, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Get ready Oppo's 4K Ultra BluRay player is here....

As I stated in my earlier post..I just received a Priv Message confirming the news I reported here a week or so back...
Oppo's 4K Ultra Blu Ray player at CEDIA unveiled..
and the price is better than I was told for their 1st 4K Ultra Blu Ray player:

Oppo officially unveiled the 4k player (and it looks massive...bigger than a Buick !)

$499

No darbee (my guess if their will be a Darbee version it will be unveiled next)

No info on chips yet.

Pictures in link

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisheinonen
post #83 of 2619 Old 09-19-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
As I stated in my earlier post..I just received a Priv Message confirming the news I reported here a week or so back...
Oppo's 4K Ultra Blu Ray player at CEDIA unveiled..
and the price is better than I was told for their 1st 4K Ultra Blu Ray player:

Oppo officially unveiled the 4k player (and it looks massive...bigger than a Buick !)

$499

No darbee (my guess if their will be a Darbee version it will be unveiled next)

No info on chips yet.

Pictures in link

https://mobile.twitter.com/chrisheinonen
For those of that are new, what is Darbee? My google searches turn up a video processing ability.
post #84 of 2619 Old 09-19-2016, 12:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4608 Post(s)
Liked: 4442
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGreek View Post
For those of that are new, what is Darbee? My google searches turn up a video processing ability.
Yes, that's it. OPPO has players with and without it, and the same technology is available as separate box: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vid...n-darblet.html

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #85 of 2619 Old 09-19-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Yes, that's it. OPPO has players with and without it, and the same technology is available as separate box: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-vid...n-darblet.html

-Bill
I just saw the video processing demonstration with the ice/snow. That was amazing (seems like it sharpens the image and enhances shadows)!

Now I see why everyone keeps referencing it!
post #86 of 2619 Old 09-21-2016, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Finally... I was waiting for the Oppo release. I need region free playback and good upscaling.
post #87 of 2619 Old 10-03-2016, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool

For those looking to get the most potential uses has anyone considered the XBox One S ?

This way the kids / grandkids can play games as well as getting a value player with the 2TB Release system

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-S-2T...2Bone%2Bs&th=1
post #88 of 2619 Old 10-19-2016, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
This is not the deals thread. All prices are MSRP. No price talk outside if the deals area.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #89 of 2619 Old 10-20-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I don't see any details so need to ask... Did the latest Samsung patch actually FIX their HDR issues (dim & not able to support BT.2020)?

Epson 5040ub Projector, Elite Screens 120" Saker AUHD, Yamaha RX-A3060, B&W Speakers: Signature 7's, FMP4, CWM7.5s, CCM65s, Rythmik 15" CI Sub, 30' Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2, Tiara CI-Pro Series In-wall wiring, Phillips BDP7501 UHD BD Player, Niles 1230 WHA Amp, Xbox, WiiU, TiVo Premiere
post #90 of 2619 Old 10-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
You should ask in the Samsung thread. I have not had any issues with the Samsung.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player , blu ray , Blu Ray Players , dvd , hdcp upgrade compliance , hdr , hdr player , upscale 4k , upscaling , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page