Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18173Likes

post #1051 of 2420 Old 01-21-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 712
BB has the Sony X700 available to order now on there website I wonder how else is advertising it at there stores
PlanetAVS likes this.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 2420 Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked: 4512
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I don't know what @aaronwt is referring to, perhaps he can weigh in. In looking at the specs for both your Sony BDP-S6700 and his old BDP-S6500, neither of them mention support for audio beyond Dolby True HD. I know that for my Xbox One S, I need to enable bitstream out and to let my AVR handle the decoding in order to output ATMOS sound from UHD discs. But my understanding is that the player itself still needs to support ATMOS, in order to get ATMOS.

Furthermore I noticed that your BDP-S6700 upscales to 4K and does not play native UHD discs. Therefore you'll be gaining video and audio advantages (as far as I know) by upgrading to a newer Sony player. Additionally, most ATMOS tracks are only available on the UHD version although there are some exceptions which are available on Blu Ray.

If you're up for doing a little test, what you could do is hookup all your speakers without actually installing them in the ceiling. Then test an ATMOS blu ray disc to see if it triggers the ATMOS indicator on your Denon AVR on screen display. You'll need to ensure that your speaker configuration is setup properly for ATMOS in your Denon speaker settings as well.

To answer your performance question, and assuming that just enabling bitstream out doesn't give you true ATMOS performance. True ATMOS will give you uncompressed 3D height effects to your surround sound that you wouldn't get with "ordinary" True HD. True HD will give you standard surround sound, uncompressed which is still great but it would be missing the height effects.
TrueHD is basically the format that Atmos metadata is sent inside when playing a movie with an Atmos track. There's no reason I can think of that any player should be unable to send Atmos

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #1053 of 2420 Old 01-21-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Quote:
I don't know what @aaronwt is referring to, perhaps he can weigh in. In looking at the specs for both your Sony BDP-S6700 and his old BDP-S6500, neither of them mention support for audio beyond Dolby True HD. I know that for my Xbox One S, I need to enable bitstream out and to let my AVR handle the decoding in order to output ATMOS sound from UHD discs. But my understanding is that the player itself still needs to support ATMOS, in order to get ATMOS.

Furthermore I noticed that your BDP-S6700 upscales to 4K and does not play native UHD discs. Therefore you'll be gaining video and audio advantages (as far as I know) by upgrading to a newer Sony player. Additionally, most ATMOS tracks are only available on the UHD version although there are some exceptions which are available on Blu Ray.

If you're up for doing a little test, what you could do is hookup all your speakers without actually installing them in the ceiling. Then test an ATMOS blu ray disc to see if it triggers the ATMOS indicator on your Denon AVR on screen display. You'll need to ensure that your speaker configuration is setup properly for ATMOS in your Denon speaker settings as well.

To answer your performance question, and assuming that just enabling bitstream out doesn't give you true ATMOS performance. True ATMOS will give you uncompressed 3D height effects to your surround sound that you wouldn't get with "ordinary" True HD. True HD will give you standard surround sound, uncompressed which is still great but it would be missing the height effects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
TrueHD is basically the format that Atmos metadata is sent inside when playing a movie with an Atmos track. There's no reason I can think of that any player should be unable to send Atmos
I stand corrected. Bitstream out will give you ATMOS sound. I just tested this from my PS3, enabling bitstream direct and got ATMOS sound from both the Wonder Woman and John Wick Bluray discs. However my earlier points will still stand, most ATMOS content will only be available from the UHD disc plus the upscaling BDP-S6700 will not play UHD discs or provide HDR capabilities. The new Sony UBP-X700 will give you all of these advantages and is available soon. The Best Buy site indicates it is available for pickup as early as Wed Jan 31 in my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 2420 Old 01-21-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
List of Blu Ray Players w/ x265 Media Support

I attempted a search with no luck (unless I didn't do the search correctly). Can someone advise on whether any Blu-Ray Players support x265 via USB yet (for attached drives with media)? I've looked through a few Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic owner's manuals and they either state x264 only, or don't provide any information except for file extensions.
post #1055 of 2420 Old 01-21-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2765 Post(s)
Liked: 1728
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
BB has the Sony X700 available to order now on there website I wonder how else is advertising it at there stores
Quote:
I stand corrected. Bitstream out will give you ATMOS sound. I just tested this from my PS3, enabling bitstream direct and got ATMOS sound from both the Wonder Woman and John Wick Bluray discs. However my earlier points will still stand, most ATMOS content will only be available from the UHD disc plus the upscaling BDP-S6700 will not play UHD discs or provide HDR capabilities. The new Sony UBP-X700 will give you all of these advantages and is available soon. The Best Buy site indicates it is available for pickup as early as Wed Jan 31 in my area.
Seems a reasonable enough price, does not look as "sturdy" as the X800, though appearances can be deceiving. I will be interested to see what buyers have to say......

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #1056 of 2420 Old 01-21-2018, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
OK, I'll have to get one bought.

Quote:

Quote:

You guys are FAST! I actually used the "Contact us" link on Dolby's web page to ask them what the difference would be based on all the input I'm getting here. In that time, you guys performed an experiment and answered it for me! Admittedly I'm still curious what they will say if/when they get back to me.

On a side note, I had to make a "compromise" in order to get the "Green Light" on this whole thing from the "boss." When I finally get this thing all bought and put together I had to buy a blu-ray copy of "Phantom of the Oprah" to be the first thing played on the new system. LOL! Small price to pay I guess. Then John Wick. This will be my first REAL home theater system.

Thanks again guys. You've been a HUGE help.
post #1057 of 2420 Old 01-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I'm pretty glad I bought an X800 when I did. Got it at a great price on black Friday and it certainly looks to be built better than the X700. I would think it would be the unit to have if you're only worried about the immersive audio formats right now. I don't have a 4K display and just wanted Atmos and DTS: X and it works like a charm. In fact, I'm not convinced DV is going to catch on like HDR so I'm in no hurry. Besides, I can't really tell the difference between DV and HDR even on an OLED display
Ralarcon and PeeJHooK like this.
post #1058 of 2420 Old 01-21-2018, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Poor man’s blu ray & hi res media player

I have an Oppo BdP-93 whose disc player just stopped working. It just says “no disc” after loading any kind of disc. Already tried opening it up and cleaning the lens to no avail.

I used to use my Oppo to do a few things. 1) Play Blu-ray Discs. 2) Play FLAC files and DTS music files off of an external HD. 3) Stream Pandora (which actually sounded pretty damn good with the Oppo!). 4). Play SA-CDs. I can still do #2 & 3, although the interface is rather rudimentary.

My question now is what should I do now if I don’t want to spend more than $250? I don’t have a 4K set, but probably want to future proof myself with a biology to play 4K media. I want to play FLAC files, DTS audio files, and I’m guessing other hi res audio formats. I also own a few SA-CDs, but it wouldn’t kill me if I couldn’t play them anymore.

Finally, I should also mention that I recently added an Echo Dot and a Logitech Smart Hub to myself. So, if I could control whatever new unit with my voice, that would be ideal!

I was thinking about either buying a Sony UBP-X800 or an Xbox One S since I could get either for under $250. How good of an option would either of those be? Or is there something else I should get?

Last edited by dudlet; 01-21-2018 at 05:05 PM.
post #1059 of 2420 Old 01-22-2018, 01:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudlet View Post
I have an Oppo BdP-93 whose disc player just stopped working. It just says “no disc” after loading any kind of disc. Already tried opening it up and cleaning the lens to no avail.

I used to use my Oppo to do a few things. 1) Play Blu-ray Discs. 2) Play FLAC files and DTS music files off of an external HD. 3) Stream Pandora (which actually sounded pretty damn good with the Oppo!). 4). Play SA-CDs. I can still do #2 & 3, although the interface is rather rudimentary.

My question now is what should I do now if I don’t want to spend more than $250? I don’t have a 4K set, but probably want to future proof myself with a biology to play 4K media. I want to play FLAC files, DTS audio files, and I’m guessing other hi res audio formats. I also own a few SA-CDs, but it wouldn’t kill me if I couldn’t play them anymore.

Finally, I should also mention that I recently added an Echo Dot and a Logitech Smart Hub to myself. So, if I could control whatever new unit with my voice, that would be ideal!

I was thinking about either buying a Sony UBP-X800 or an Xbox One S since I could get either for under $250. How good of an option would either of those be? Or is there something else I should get?

Well, you do have the option of getting the Oppo fixed. It's one of the great benefits of owning one, and costs $79 last time I looked. Get in touch with Oppo, get it fixed and even if you decide to sell it, it's probably going to sell for a good amount (probably equal to what a 203 costs).

If you don't sell it now, you've spent that to get your player back. If you do sell it, it will get you a good amount of money over and above what you paid to fix it. The 95 is a great machine.
post #1060 of 2420 Old 01-22-2018, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked: 5169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
Our Canadian Samsung K8500s do not presently have the Amazon Video app, nor do I think they ever will. I understand that neither does the Canadian Sony UBP-X800.

Which, if any, Canadian UHD BD players have the Amazon Video app originally on board or able to be downloaded?

Thanks.
Hi Herve,

I seem to recall this topic being discussed on the Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD BD player thread where we discovered that the Amazon app was nowhere to be seen for Canadians even through it was available to owners in the USA. A strange decision on Samsung's or Amazon's part since it is available on their Canadian model(s) of the Samsung Smart TVs -- at least the two I own.

Anyways, I am not so sure I would want to take a chance purchasing a new UHD player just to get that one app and then finding out they don't support another down the road resulting in an expensive upgrade game of leap frog.

Good news is that although the Apple TV 4K model didn't initially support the Amazon app, it does now along with a slew of other apps relevant to the Canadian market. I have attached a sample thumbnail below.

If I had my way TV manufacturers would stop making Smart TVs and reducing the price (and complexity) accordingly so we can just go out and buy something that makes sense for our homes. Since purchasing my 2 4K TVs, Samsung has eliminated more apps than they have introduced. We had to wait months for the Netflix app to be upgraded to support HDR that was already available on a number of inexpensive streaming devices. In a similar vein, my TVs will never be able to play YouTube HDR because they came out before the introduction of the VP9 Profile 2 chip resulting in me having to go out and buy the Chromecast Ultra which was the only device available at the time if I wanted to enjoy YouTube 4K HDR content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
At one time I believe @Musician and few others were working on a spreadsheet over in the streaming section. Perhaps he'll see this and chime in. Why not consider a streaming box? I find better selection and support than built in apps on a player.
Yes, I would concur that a streaming box is the way to go. In my case I choose the Apple TV 4K model as my primary device for streaming apps. I especially like renting 4K HDR iTunes movies rather than spending $35 for every title I want to see. Don't get me wrong... I know that a UHD Blu-ray provides a higher bit rate and lossless audio but when iTunes offers a sale a lot of new titles can be rented for as low as 99 cents!

As for the spreadsheet, it was developed as a template for those who have a knowledge of Excel who want to maintain a handy color coded reference chart of which device of theirs is the Best or the Ultimate vehicle to play certain content from based upon how they have things wired up. For example, as you can see in the sample below surprisingly the Apple TV 4K does not currently support 4K YouTube but I could use either my Set Top Box app, my UBD Player's app or my Smart TV app to get 4K SDR or use my Chromecast for 4K HDR.

Although I just finished telling @Herve that the Apple TV 4K supports the Amazon app, at the time of release it didn't thus the TBD shown in that column in the old sample above. As mentioned the Cheat Sheet is specific to the way each of us has our particular systems set up. I have placed a copy of the Excel template along with instructions in the following post that can be downloaded and customized for each of our own personal use...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-net...l#post54908082

Another thing astute owners of the Apple TV 4K might have noticed is that in the sample above it indicates that Vimeo only supports 4K SDR but a recent upgrade now allows 4K HDR content to be played -- currently only available on the Apple TV 4K. Another reason why I think going with an external streaming device is the way to go. A major attraction for me with the Apple TV 4K is that it also acts as a hub for my Homekit compatible devices (e.g. Lutron whole home lighting system) and integrates well with my other Apple devices (e.g. iPad).

Note that you don't have to own an Apple TV 4K to use the Cheat Sheet and each of these columns and rows can be modified, added or deleted accordingly.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Apple TV 4K.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	470.9 KB
ID:	2349468  

Samsung UN78HU9000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UN40HU7000 & SEK-3500U/ZA - Firmware 1540.3
Samsung UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Apple TV 4K
Arris VIP5662W UHD Whole Home DVR; Chromecast Ultra
Marantz SR7005 Receiver; Magnepan Speakers; Martin Logan Subwoofer

Last edited by Musician; 01-22-2018 at 02:00 AM.
post #1061 of 2420 Old 01-22-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Hi Herve,

Anyways, I am not so sure I would want to take a chance purchasing a new UHD player just to get that one app and then finding out they don't support another down the road resulting in an expensive upgrade game of leap frog.
Cheers!
I am not purchasing a new UHD in order to get Amazon. That would be insane. I'm going to have to buy yet another UHD BD player because my wife and I are going to buy a Sony 4K TV and it does not have the Amazon app -- at least as of today. I figured if there were a UHD BD player that already had that app, I'd probably buy that player. Kill two birds with one stone (I hope that that isn't too politically incorrect for today's population's delicate sensibilities; I'm having chicken for supper).

Anyway, after I wrote my last post, I contacted the senior rep for Sony at the local Best Buy (a person with whom I had had met at that store a few weeks ago and with whom I had had a very long conversation) and asked him if the Amazon app was available on the particular model of Sony I'm considering. He said that it did not, but that the district manager for Sony just happened to be standing in front of him and that he would ask him about the Amazon app. After a few moments of discussing it with the manager, he returned to our conversation and said that the manager had told him that Sony was absolutely certainly going to release a software update in the "very near future" that would have in it the Amazon app for Canadian Sony TVs. I should have taken the opportunity to ask about the Sony UHD BD players, but I didn't because the TV was more my priority at that moment, which is too bad.

We have an Nvidia shield TV 16gb version as a source to our 70" Sharp Aquos 1080p TV. We love it. I'd like to avoid buying another for the new TV, but I suppose it may come down to doing that. I agree that TVs should be "dumb" as long as dumb TVs are say $300 less than their smart counterparts.

Thanks for the info, Musician.
post #1062 of 2420 Old 01-22-2018, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
Our Canadian Samsung K8500s do not presently have the Amazon Video app, nor do I think they ever will. I understand that neither does the Canadian Sony UBP-X800.

Which, if any, Canadian UHD BD players have the Amazon Video app originally on board or able to be downloaded?

Thanks.
Just a heads up to anyone considering the SONY UBP-X800. The apps on this device are pre-determined by SONY and by your region. (You may be able to trick it with a proxy but I haven't tried). There is no way to download or install ANY apps on this device. So for Canadians, the only useful apps are Netflix, Youtube and Slacker. The rest is a steaming pile of useless s**t. So unless SONY decides to roll-out a new app within an update, you have to live with what you have. Our US friends have it better than we do as usual. I wasn't expecting a downgrade in the app department from my BDP-S1700 standard blue-ray player.
post #1063 of 2420 Old 01-22-2018, 01:09 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8913 Post(s)
Liked: 5696
Quote:
Your current ATMOS speaker configuration isn't being fully utilized and upgrading to any of the 4K UHD players you listed will give you ATMOS sound from ATMOS discs. I'm assuming that you made a typo and you have 4 ceiling speakers (not 4 Center speakers)

ATMOS is also available from select Netflix titles, unfortunately your hardware doesn't currently support it though. It's only available via the Netflix app on Xbox One (or higher) and the 2017 LG OLEDs

If you can wait, I'd wait for the Sony UBP-X700 to give you some future proofing for Dolby Vision even though none of your current equipment supports Dolby Vision. Otherwise the Sony UBP-X800 is widely considered the best bang for buck 4K UHD player.
The problem is that even my old SOny 2K BD players have no problem with Atmos tracks. It seems odd that the S6700 would.

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--45TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1064 of 2420 Old 01-22-2018, 01:13 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorman View Post
First off, sorry if this seems repetitive. Just trying to wrap my mind around it. :-)

OK, Last questions (I think). IF I had all of the speakers installed and functioning (7.1.4), what difference would I notice by singularly setting the bitstream on my Sony BDP-S6700 vs just swapping out the Sony UBP-X700 as it relates to ATMOS enabled movies? I was slightly confused, example below, as to if there would be a difference.

Simply put, with a 7.1.4 system, if I watch John Wick (or name your favorite ATMOS movie) on Blu-Ray with the bitstream on my Sony BDP-S6700 vs just swapping out the Sony UBP-X700, is there a big difference in the playing of the portions of the movie that utilize ATMOS? Given what I have invested in my current system, I don't mind spending $200-$300 on the Sony UBP-X700. Just curious as to the performance difference.

Finally, has anybody seen a release date on the Sony UBP-X700?

Thanks again,
Russ
They used to put Atmos tracks on a bunch of 2K BD releases. But now most of the releases with Atmos seem to be on the UHD BD. With the 2K BD having DOlby True HD or DTS HD MA.

If both the UHD BD and the 2K BD have Atmos tracks, the audio will sound the same, whether I bitstream it from a 2K BD player or a UHD BD player. Assuming the audio mix is identical.

If you have a 2K setup and Atmos tracks are important to you, then it would make sense to get a UHD player. So you could play the UHD BDs in a 2K setup. And still be able to listen to the Atmos tracks.

post #1065 of 2420 Old 01-22-2018, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by loknload View Post
I'm pretty glad I bought an X800 when I did. Got it at a great price on black Friday and it certainly looks to be built better than the X700. I would think it would be the unit to have if you're only worried about the immersive audio formats right now. I don't have a 4K display and just wanted Atmos and DTS: X and it works like a charm. In fact, I'm not convinced DV is going to catch on like HDR so I'm in no hurry. Besides, I can't really tell the difference between DV and HDR even on an OLED display
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They used to put Atmos tracks on a bunch of 2K BD releases. But now most of the releases with Atmos seem to be on the UHD BD. With the 2K BD having DOlby True HD or DTS HD MA.

If both the UHD BD and the 2K BD have Atmos tracks, the audio will sound the same, whether I bitstream it from a 2K BD player or a UHD BD player. Assuming the audio mix is identical.

If you have a 2K setup and Atmos tracks are important to you, then it would make sense to get a UHD player. So you could play the UHD BDs in a 2K setup. And still be able to listen to the Atmos tracks.
OK, I think I finally got my mind around this. Now I just need to get either the Sony UBP-X800 or the Sony UBP-X700. Depending on if I want the Dolby Vision option that my current TV does not support. But at least I know I can limp my way with my 2K Sony BDPS6700 until I make a decision.
post #1066 of 2420 Old 01-23-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:

I would recommend the Sony X800. You can get them "refurbished" from E bay very inexpensively. I've gotten #3 all working impeccably.

Cheers
post #1067 of 2420 Old 01-23-2018, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 23
“Best” Downconvert UHD Player?

I didn’t see a thread specifically for this so hopefully this isn’t a duplicate. I’m wondering if anyone has opinions for the best UHD player for downconverting to 1080p. I upgraded my sound system for Atmos but then realized after the fact that at least half of the Atmos titles only come with the 4K version. I don’t have a 4K TV and don’t believe I will be in a position to upgrade to one for a while but I really want to enjoy my Atmos (I haven’t watched a single Atmos movie yet and only one DTS:X movie). Since I want to upgrade to 4K I feel like I shouldn’t waste money buying regular BluRay movies just to have to buy them again in UHD down the road.
post #1068 of 2420 Old 01-23-2018, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked: 4512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RS View Post
I didn’t see a thread specifically for this so hopefully this isn’t a duplicate. I’m wondering if anyone has opinions for the best UHD player for downconverting to 1080p. I upgraded my sound system for Atmos but then realized after the fact that at least half of the Atmos titles only come with the 4K version. I don’t have a 4K TV and don’t believe I will be in a position to upgrade to one for a while but I really want to enjoy my Atmos (I haven’t watched a single Atmos movie yet and only one DTS:X movie). Since I want to upgrade to 4K I feel like I shouldn’t waste money buying regular BluRay movies just to have to buy them again in UHD down the road.
I'd say Oppo if you don't mind paying the premium. Otherwise they all do a pretty good job, I like the Sony x800 if I had to pick one that wasn't Oppo.

LG 65" B7A OLED, Samsung 55" JS9000, Sony 43" x800e, Denon AVR-X2200w 5.1.2, PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, Gaming PC(GTX 1080ti + 4.7Ghz 8700k), Sony UBP-x800, Philips BDP-7501, Oppo BDP-203, Nvidia Shield TV
2x Elac F5/Elac C5/2x AR PS2052/2x Pioneer SP-T22A-LR/Power Sound Audio 15v w/ Anti-Mode 8033S-II
post #1069 of 2420 Old 01-24-2018, 03:58 AM

Quote:
I'd say Oppo if you don't mind paying the premium. Otherwise they all do a pretty good job, I like the Sony x800 if I had to pick one that wasn't Oppo.
I can't see spending $500 on it, if I'm spending that much I'd rather put it toward getting a 4K TV (I could probably buy one with that and selling the TV I have now). The Blu-Ray player I have now is a Sony and it works pretty well so that looks like an option.

I Googled this before I posted here and the article that I read was saying regular Blu-Ray movies played on a regular Blu-Ray player looked better than the 4K version downconverting to 1080p. He was using the Sony X800 UHD player and comparing the image to a 1080p Oppo player. That's why I figured I'd ask here and see if that was the consensus here. My TV isn't top-of-the-line so I don't know how noticeable the difference would even be anyway.
post #1070 of 2420 Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
I can't see spending $500 on it, if I'm spending that much I'd rather put it toward getting a 4K TV (I could probably buy one with that and selling the TV I have now). The Blu-Ray player I have now is a Sony and it works pretty well so that looks like an option.

I Googled this before I posted here and the article that I read was saying regular Blu-Ray movies played on a regular Blu-Ray player looked better than the 4K version downconverting to 1080p. He was using the Sony X800 UHD player and comparing the image to a 1080p Oppo player. That's why I figured I'd ask here and see if that was the consensus here. My TV isn't top-of-the-line so I don't know how noticeable the difference would even be anyway.
The Sony x700 is out now. And it is supposed to receive a Dolby Vision update in the Summer. It is smaller than the x800, with less features. But it still uses a metal housing.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by aaronwt; 01-24-2018 at 09:35 AM.
post #1071 of 2420 Old 01-24-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1664 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Quote:

Don't get the XB1S unless you want the gaming. The interface is slow and frustrating. I'd recommend the Sony x700 or x800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Sony x700 is out not. And it is supposed to receive a Dolby Vision update in the Summer. It is smaller than the x800, with less features. But it still uses a metal housing.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
What features does the 800 have that are missing from the 700?
post #1072 of 2420 Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That's not a fair comparison. It would probably be better to match a Sony 1080p to the X800, or an Oppo 203 to a 103D, for example.

Having said that, the 1080p should look better than a downconverted 4K due to it being produced expressly for that format.
post #1073 of 2420 Old 01-24-2018, 09:23 AM

I was thinking that wasnt an apples to apples comparison. I only have a couple of Blu-rays anyway, most I’ve watched have been Redbox rentals (which most are missing high quality audio anyway...). So worrying about the picture quality of playing a standard Blu-ray on a 4K player compared to playing it on a regular Blu-ray player probably isn’t worth spending much time on. Most of the stuff I found when searching Google said that playing the 4K disc downconverted to 1080p looked better than a regular Blu-ray playing on a regular Blu-ray player. How would the Panasonic DMP-UB200 compare to the Sony x800? Is it worth spending more money on? It looks like I can get the x800 player for about $150 on eBay.
post #1074 of 2420 Old 01-25-2018, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Has there been any word about the new players announced at CES? Pricing? Availability? I'm still after a 4k player that does DV and HDR, and that also has apps with HDR/Atmos for Amazon, Vudu, and Netflix as well. Money isn't really a concern, but quality is. Too many problems with my Roku Ultra, and frequent audio dropouts on my Vizio display going back to the AVR via ARC. I'm also after a one with an HDMI input so I can route my Plex HTPC through it and upscale to 4k.
post #1075 of 2420 Old 01-25-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2IRT View Post
Has there been any word about the new players announced at CES? Pricing? Availability? I'm still after a 4k player that does DV and HDR, and that also has apps with HDR/Atmos for Amazon, Vudu, and Netflix as well. Money isn't really a concern, but quality is. Too many problems with my Roku Ultra, and frequent audio dropouts on my Vizio display going back to the AVR via ARC. I'm also after a one with an HDMI input so I can route my Plex HTPC through it and upscale to 4k.
Only the Sony X700 is out right now. Dolby update to come later. Not sure about other features. Mid level price point.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #1076 of 2420 Old 01-25-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Except for the native streaming apps, I'd think an Oppo 203 would fit what you need.

I know that puts you back in the Roku / Nvidia / ATV4 train, but I don't see anything that does all of what you need. Except for streaming, it does everything else.

It may also match up better on the ARC front. It also works with Plex, so you can skip the HDMI input for that, maybe devote it to the Roku.
post #1077 of 2420 Old 01-25-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Except for the native streaming apps, I'd think an Oppo 203 would fit what you need.

I know that puts you back in the Roku / Nvidia / ATV4 train, but I don't see anything that does all of what you need. Except for streaming, it does everything else. It may also match up better on the ARC front. It also works with Plex, so you can skip the HDMI input for that, maybe devote it to the Roku.
Considering that maybe 20-30% of what I watch is via streaming, having a streamer that isn't a constant PITA like the Roku Ultra is really important to me. I don't want a separate box for that. If I did I would have bought the Oppo the day it was released. The Roku is good in principle but it just never lived up to its promise thanks to constant HDMI failures (even with certified cables), and a company that doesn't stand behind their products. Like I said, money isn't an object (within reason), but I can wait. So far the Panny UB-820 is looking like the winner based on reports out of Vegas a few weeks ago, but we'll see once it actually hits store shelves I guess.
post #1078 of 2420 Old 01-26-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Considering that maybe 20-30% of what I watch is via streaming, having a streamer that isn't a constant PITA like the Roku Ultra is really important to me. I don't want a separate box for that. If I did I would have bought the Oppo the day it was released. The Roku is good in principle but it just never lived up to its promise thanks to constant HDMI failures (even with certified cables), and a company that doesn't stand behind their products. Like I said, money isn't an object (within reason), but I can wait. So far the Panny UB-820 is looking like the winner based on reports out of Vegas a few weeks ago, but we'll see once it actually hits store shelves I guess.
Do you have the latest version of the Roku Ultra? I'm having no problems with mine and we use it to stream probably 95% of the time with Paystation Vue, Amazon, or Netflix.
post #1079 of 2420 Old 01-26-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Do you have the latest version of the Roku Ultra? I'm having no problems with mine and we use it to stream probably 95% of the time with Paystation Vue, Amazon, or Netflix.
Not to stray too far off-topic here, but no, I bought my Ultra over the Christmas holidays in 2016/2017, so it's about 13 months old give or take. My display (Vizio P65-C1 from April 2016) also now has built-in Chromecast, and on Netflix, certain titles will play in Dolby Vision—and look utterly stunning—but that are not HDR or only HDR-10 on the Ultra. If I use the Vizio for Netflix, it briefly drops audio for about a second or so every couple of minutes. I suspect the latter is ARC related.

So if I want Dolby Vision, perfect streaming, and the premium sound formats that go through the AVR first, rather than back via ARC, the only way I can see that happening now is with a 4k player connected to an HDMI input on the AVR. Am I wrong?

I am beginning to think the HDCP 2.2 implementation in either the Roku, the Denon AVR or both, have issues. This is why I'm after a pretty high-end 4k Player. I'm sick of all the fiddle-vision playing around I have to endure now just to watch The Grand Tour in HDR-10 on Amazon, Godless in Dolby Vision on Netflix and movies in Vudu, as well as the ability to upconvert my 1080 HTPC signals and watch 4k DV disks.

We're, what, 3 years into affordable consumer-priced 4k, yet the problems are still legion. When someone comes up with a high-quality player/streamer that does it all, cost be damned, it'll fly off the shelves.
locomo likes this.
post #1080 of 2420 Old 01-26-2018, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm in the market for a UHD player. After some research, I'm considering just buying the xbox one X. I will use it for limited gaming.

Is there much that a dedicated UHD player does that the xbox won't do? The other option is just buying the Sony UBP-X800. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player , blu ray , Blu Ray Players , dvd , hdcp upgrade compliance , hdr , hdr player , upscale 4k , upscaling , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page