Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18342Likes

post #1981 of 2965 Old 11-25-2018, 03:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Sorry, it should have said "tone map HDR" not "done map HDR". Unless you're looking for 4K Bluray playback, I'd stick with your PS3. And if you need HDR tone mapping, then only that panasonic is going to handle it. If you don't need that then stick with the PS3.
Since I do not know I guess I do not need it And I do not have any 4K movies in my collection either so I guess I'll stick with my PS3 Thank you for the quick reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2965 Old 11-25-2018, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 167
If I had a 4k TV, I would get a 4k player. I would purchase 4k media, if available.

I have a 1080 projector, and I have even decided to go with 4k media (via my Xbox player). I just don't see a reason to purchase lower quality media?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane661 View Post
A while ago, we purchased Wonder Woman on digital. In watching it again recently, I wasn't overly happy with the picture quality. Plus, it doesn't have a 7-channel sound mix.

So, I did a little research, and after playing with video settings today, I decided to try something different (for me). Even though my projector is an older 1080p unit, my Xbox One S does have a 4k player built in...and it will scale the image appropriately. Supposedly, this is an image quality enhancement, even for a 1080p display.

I watched this video to get a little more insight:

https://youtu.be/kIf9h2Gkm_U

After digesting it all, I took the 4k (media) plunge:

The movie played without a hitch. Most of the video issues I encountered with streaming, were resolved. I would call the image quality very, very good. This is without any adjustment to the projector settings. The sound, of course, blew the streaming version away!

With these promising results, I don't think I will be purchasing new releases on standard Blu Ray, if 4k is available.

I will be masking the back of my perforated screen, soon. Then I will be looking to do some basic calibration on my projector. I'm looking forward to this!
Anyway, my .01.

Shane
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell
- The Unemployment Basement Project -
post #1983 of 2965 Old 11-25-2018, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane661 View Post
If I had a 4k TV, I would get a 4k player. I would purchase 4k media, if available.

I have a 1080 projector, and I have even decided to go with 4k media (via my Xbox player). I just don't see a reason to purchase lower quality media?

Anyway, my .01.
Thank you for the input. I absolutely see what you mean. The LG OLED55C8 is a 4K TV so I'd prefer to take advantage of this when watching a movie. Unfortunately a 4K movie costs about 6 times as much as a regular Blu Ray movie here in Norway. I do not say that it's not worth the extra cost, but I just have to think a little bit about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2965 Old 11-25-2018, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Best 4K Player (UK)

What 4k player would you suggest thats about £300 (maybie up to £500) I would like it to be reign free for dvds and blu rays but not a must. Dont care for streaming. HDR10+? but not sure my TV supports it.
post #1985 of 2965 Old 11-25-2018, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
The XB1X is the only gaming console with a UHD player but compared to other UHD players, most find the navigation to be painful. It also doesn't support Dolby Vision disc playback. The positives are that you get top notch gaming and Netflix Atmos support if that matters to you.
Hopefully soon the Xbox One will support DV disc playback, as of now only for video streaming apps such as Netflix.

Sony 65" A8F 4k OLED
Sony 4K XBR49X850B, Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Cambridge Audio Azur 640R & 740C
Paradigm Studio 60's, 20's, CC-590 & Seismic 12
Xbox One X Project Scorpio, Xbox One S LE GoW, PS4 w VR
post #1986 of 2965 Old 11-25-2018, 02:14 PM

Liked: 10
Question 4K UHD Blu-ray players with Dolby Vision?

Trying to decide on a 4K UHD Blu-ray player with Dolby Vision, but I'm having a hard time even coming up with a decent list of players, much less make a selection.

Would appreciate input from the experts here!
post #1987 of 2965 Old 11-25-2018, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 558
You're supposed to use this sticky thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...er-thread.html

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #1988 of 2965 Old 11-25-2018, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 97
The OP of this thread can answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemisblue View Post
Trying to decide on a 4K UHD Blu-ray player with Dolby Vision, but I'm having a hard time even coming up with a decent list of players, much less make a selection.

Would appreciate input from the experts here!

Ultra HD Blu-ray (4K) Discs and High Dynamic Range (HDR) for Dummies

"Death, where is thy sting"

Gelda “Know what is hidden…the dragon”

Alita “I know who my enemy is”
post #1989 of 2965 Old 11-25-2018, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1690 Post(s)
Liked: 2085
Good cheap 4k player, 1080 projector, just buying 4k disks for the atmos, lots of dvd`s, would be nice if it was one of the ones that handles upscaling dvd`s to 1080.

Any help ?

I was going to get the LG ubk90, but it can not handle upscaling dvd`s very well....

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #1990 of 2965 Old 11-26-2018, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 2191
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Good cheap 4k player, 1080 projector, just buying 4k disks for the atmos, lots of dvd`s, would be nice if it was one of the ones that handles upscaling dvd`s to 1080.

Any help ?

I was going to get the LG ubk90, but it can not handle upscaling dvd`s very well....
Since you don't care about Dolby Vision, the Sony X800 is probably the consensus best UHD player at a reasonable price.
unretarded likes this.
post #1991 of 2965 Old 11-26-2018, 03:55 AM

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post

Any help ?

I think Panasonic has the best upscaling chip for dvd. One with the Hollywood chip.

I have Sony UHP-H1 I prefer to let my TV do the job, I have direct 576p on dvd

I think Sony x800 do a ok job on dvd full hd and 4K.

But I think Panasonic is better on dvd, I'm not sure, but they have put money in the chip.
unretarded likes this.
post #1992 of 2965 Old 11-26-2018, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Question

Looking for a new 4K blu-ray player....all my equipment is in my sig below. Was looking at the M9500. All I want it for is blu-ray and 4K (in time). I do not care about streaming and the other bs

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*

Last edited by purplerain; 11-26-2018 at 04:54 PM.
post #1993 of 2965 Old 11-27-2018, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello,
Is there any player on the market which has Netflix and Amazon Video apps and can play Dolby Vision , HDR , Atmos..... from that apps?
I doesn’t found one, only from BD Disk.
Or is it not possible now.

(Setup , LG Oled 2018 and will buy a Denon Receiver this week)

Thx.
post #1994 of 2965 Old 11-27-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked: 2191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji179 View Post
Hello,
Is there any player on the market which has Netflix and Amazon Video apps and can play Dolby Vision , HDR , Atmos..... from that apps?

Thx.
Xbox One X/One S can with some caveats. They have a low latency version of DV that initially LG OLED did not support. However LG is working on a firmware update (which might have been released by now). Also, you didn't specifically mention Dolby Vision for disc support, the Xboxes cannot do that in case that is important to you.
post #1995 of 2965 Old 11-27-2018, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 6769 Post(s)
Liked: 6646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji179 View Post
Hello,

Thx.

The x700 maybe? Honestly it’s easier/better to get a UHDBR player for discs and a dedicated media player for apps (or you can use internal app streaming for TV).
aaronwt likes this.
post #1996 of 2965 Old 11-27-2018, 11:26 AM

I think it is difficult now.

Sony X700 have DV but you need to manually turn it on.

I think I wait for Sony's new range or Panasonic.

One thing Ive learned from bluray is to keep calm and wait. Only 6 months and we will have better UHD players.

I remember that I looked for bd players with dvd upscaling and sacd.

It came but I already buyed... So my best advice is to wait, or buy a Sony or Panasonic if you can't wait.
aaronwt likes this.
post #1997 of 2965 Old 11-27-2018, 01:30 PM

Ok, thx.
I take a look at the x700 before but was not shure if it could play DV through app.
Think I will buy it, worst case I have to buy a separate box for apps as you say.
Will not wait for the next models because I already have 4K BDs but no option to play Them.
post #1998 of 2965 Old 11-27-2018, 01:51 PM

Anyone at all? I would also like to upscale blu ray to 4k. There must be someone out there that could suggest one? Regards
post #1999 of 2965 Old 11-27-2018, 02:30 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 9741 Post(s)
Liked: 6417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostone87 View Post
Anyone at all? I would also like to upscale blu ray to 4k. There must be someone out there that could suggest one? Regards
All the UHD BD players will upscale a 2K BD to 4K. As will every UHD TV.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2000 of 2965 Old 11-27-2018, 07:14 PM

Yes, upscale to 4K was a point in every data sheet I have read in last days by searching one which could play Vision,Atmos....through apps.
And for your 4K TV it’s a must have, otherwise ¾ of your screen would be dark with HD content.
post #2001 of 2965 Old 11-27-2018, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could use some help, the more I research,the more confused I get. So I just bought a Samsung Q8fn 75 inch TV that uses HDR10 and doesn't have Dolby Vision. I need to get a new Blue ray player. Do I need to only get a Samsung player or something without Dolby, and if I get something that's better and it has Dolby Vision, will it still work with my TV? May not be the right forum, but if I upgrade to UHD Netflix which sounds like it is also Dolby, will it still work on this TV? We watch a lot of Netflix and it would be nice to see the best picture possible. I'm starting to think I screwed up and should have got the Sony TV that had the Dolby Vision. Could someone explain in simple terms what Blue ray would be best for this TV? Might help, I will rent Blue Rays and will not be playing CD's on it. Presently using an old PlayStation 3 to watch Blue Rays, but the wife wants it out of the family room and in the basement.Thanks.
post #2002 of 2965 Old 11-28-2018, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflaps View Post
Could use some help, the more I research,the more confused I get. So I just bought a Samsung Q8fn 75 inch TV that uses HDR10 and doesn't have Dolby Vision. I need to get a new Blue ray player. Do I need to only get a Samsung player or something without Dolby, and if I get something that's better and it has Dolby Vision, will it still work with my TV? May not be the right forum, but if I upgrade to UHD Netflix which sounds like it is also Dolby, will it still work on this TV? We watch a lot of Netflix and it would be nice to see the best picture possible. I'm starting to think I screwed up and should have got the Sony TV that had the Dolby Vision. Could someone explain in simple terms what Blue ray would be best for this TV? Might help, I will rent Blue Rays and will not be playing CD's on it. Presently using an old PlayStation 3 to watch Blue Rays, but the wife wants it out of the family room and in the basement.Thanks.
No, any UHD player you get will work with your TV. And any Dolby Vision disc or streamed show will show up as HDR on your TV, so no need to worry. Buy the UHD player you prefer or can get the best deal on.

I believe your TV has HDR+, doesn't it? Though there isn't much content for that brand of HDR now, there might be some in the future, so look at newer Samsung and Panasonic players since I suspect they will either have HDR+ capability or can get it via a future firmware upgrade.
post #2003 of 2965 Old 11-28-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflaps View Post
I'm sure that tv is nice, any uhd player will do the job.

Expensive players is for better cd and dvd upscaling, Sacd etc.

And to comment the others, bluray upscaling is not difficult..

Dvd is, but that's something different.

Samsung, Lg, Philips, Panasonic, Sony is recommended, Pioneer also.

Chose one that fits your needs.

Most players is stunning on uhd, bluray and surround.

My favourite players is Sony and Panasonic.

But that's an subjective opinion based on experience of their products.
post #2004 of 2965 Old 11-28-2018, 11:17 AM

If you don't need Dolby Vision, I would go for the Sony X800.

But, I need Sacd, and hi rez audio.

If you don't need this, you can go for a cheaper solid player.

I would ask people to recommend cheaper solid Uhd players for those in the market.

My bet is Panasonic, and Pioneer, Sony.
post #2005 of 2965 Old 11-28-2018, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Will Benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
It should be noted that if someone were looking only to play UHD disc via HDMI that every player will look identical. If you aren't going anything with the video on the player side you won't get a benefit from an expensive player beyond the build quality of the unit.
Just a friendly respectful disagreement .... You will see a difference with the Panasonic. While it's true that all 4k players are going to look great, you will notice a difference between them if you have the opportunity to do a side by side comparison. I happened to own an Oppo 103 (1080p) player, A Sony UBP-X700 4k player, and the Panasonic DMP-UB900 at the same time and did a LOT of side by side comparisons. The Oppo 103 vs the Panny on 1080p content and the Sony vs the Panny on 4k. The least amount of difference was on 1080p content between the Oppo and the Panny but the Panny was still better by a slight margin and that was purely due to the slightly sharper picture. On 4K the Panny was a LOT better than the Sony ... If I'd never done a side by side I probably wouldn't think it was possible but I can tell you from experience that the Panny has a much better picture than the Sony. The Sharpness controls in the Panny that also cover color sharpness and not just edge are far superior to any other player out there ... The sharpness isn't the only thing that benefits from this, the color looks much better as well. Also, the Panny has a dynamic range adjustment so that when you're playing HDR discs on a display that can't do 1000 nits you can bring the brightness up to an acceptable level ... other 4K players do not have this capability. The new 820 panny handles this even better. So, respectfully the old adage does apply ... you indeed get what you pay for and with the Panasonic 4K players you get the best possible video that is noticeable over other highly regarded players. My initial test were done on a Samsung MU8000 75 inch TV which I sold and replaced with a Sony X940E ... Both benefit greatly from the Panasonics capability to produce wonderful video but the Samsung had to have a boost in brightness from the Panny in order to make HDR even watcheable ... The Sony 940 just looks fantastic period with no adjustment from the Panny. All things being equal any TV display will perform it's best in 4k with a Panasonic player ... I personally don't believe there's an equal to the Panasonic yet.
IIDexII likes this.
post #2006 of 2965 Old 11-29-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony4K View Post
Just a friendly respectful disagreement .... You will see a difference with the Panasonic. While it's true that all 4k players are going to look great, you will notice a difference between them if you have the opportunity to do a side by side comparison. I happened to own an Oppo 103 (1080p) player, A Sony UBP-X700 4k player, and the Panasonic DMP-UB900 at the same time and did a LOT of side by side comparisons. The Oppo 103 vs the Panny on 1080p content and the Sony vs the Panny on 4k. The least amount of difference was on 1080p content between the Oppo and the Panny but the Panny was still better by a slight margin and that was purely due to the slightly sharper picture. On 4K the Panny was a LOT better than the Sony ... If I'd never done a side by side I probably wouldn't think it was possible but I can tell you from experience that the Panny has a much better picture than the Sony. The Sharpness controls in the Panny that also cover color sharpness and not just edge are far superior to any other player out there ... The sharpness isn't the only thing that benefits from this, the color looks much better as well. Also, the Panny has a dynamic range adjustment so that when you're playing HDR discs on a display that can't do 1000 nits you can bring the brightness up to an acceptable level ... other 4K players do not have this capability. The new 820 panny handles this even better. So, respectfully the old adage does apply ... you indeed get what you pay for and with the Panasonic 4K players you get the best possible video that is noticeable over other highly regarded players. My initial test were done on a Samsung MU8000 75 inch TV which I sold and replaced with a Sony X940E ... Both benefit greatly from the Panasonics capability to produce wonderful video but the Samsung had to have a boost in brightness from the Panny in order to make HDR even watcheable ... The Sony 940 just looks fantastic period with no adjustment from the Panny. All things being equal any TV display will perform it's best in 4k with a Panasonic player ... I personally don't believe there's an equal to the Panasonic yet.
Wow great experienced information. The forum is lucky for your knowledge.
post #2007 of 2965 Old 11-29-2018, 11:40 AM

DMR-BCT760 to Panasonic DMR-UBC80

Hi all,

Would there be any advantages with picture quality in SDR content after doing the switch from Panasonic DMR-BCT760 to Panasonic DMR-UBC80?

My TV is this new Panasonic FZ800. This TV scales TV shows better already but the picture is still little fuzzy. With Panasonic DMR-BCT760 the picture quality is more lego like with saw edges.

I just would like to record SDR TV shows with better quality. Any ideas?

Thanks anyways and this forum is top.
post #2008 of 2965 Old 11-29-2018, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Different Blu-ray Players..different picture?

I never owned any Blu-ray Player but I am wondering now if I should buy one. I have Optoma UHD550X 4K projector and some cheap TV box which can play 4K. Now I am wondering if I buy Sony UBP-X800 or Sony UBP-X1000ES Blu-ray Player would I get a better picture of 4K videos than from my cheap TV box?

Is picture quality different also between Sony UBP-X800 or Sony UBP-X1000ES? First costs around 250 €, second around 600 €.
post #2009 of 2965 Old 11-30-2018, 02:02 PM

The difference is reported from Sony themselves to be related to audio functions.

They said in a YouTube interview that ES is all about extra audio Dac etc and Custom Install.
post #2010 of 2965 Old 11-30-2018, 02:33 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 9741 Post(s)
Liked: 6417
And the SOny ES brand has always had a longer warranty.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player , blu ray , Blu Ray Players , dvd , hdcp upgrade compliance , hdr , hdr player , upscale 4k , upscaling , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page