Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18262Likes

post #2011 of 2669 Old 12-01-2018, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 206
ES has always been the Elite brand of Sony..
Inside X800 looks like ES except of power supply and DAC.

I will instead of criticize, compliment Sony for giving good quality affordable players.

But I am curious of the Dac in 1000ES...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2669 Old 12-02-2018, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
So I just purchased the TCL 65S615 after doing quite a bit of research on mid range 4k HDR's. I already own an Xbox One S.

My main home theater is not related to this TV, as I have an EPSON Projector in my basement, but as far as players go would there be any reason that I would need to get something other than the Xbox One X to play movies in my living room on the TCL? I do have a nice setup in the living room (older Pioneer Elite SC receiver and some nice speakers). I just wanted a bigger TV in my living room, replaced an older Samsung. It's easy for me to move my xbox one S back and forth to the basement.

Thoughts?

post #2013 of 2669 Old 12-03-2018, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The X Box One X can stream content in Dolby Vision, but it can't play discs encoded with it in Dolby Vision. Since your TCL is a Dolby Vision-capable TV, seems like you would want a player that can do it all. LG, Philips, and Sony make reasonably inexpensive players that can send Dolby Vision from discs to your television.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 2669 Old 12-03-2018, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Planning out dedicated home theater for new house. Not sure what UHD player to buy.

Room is light controlled

Build so far:

Epson 5040ub (already own)
Denon AVRX4400H
5.2.4 atmos setup

Debating adding the Nvidia Shield.

Just looking for a BD/UHD player that will let me get the most out of my 5.2.4 setup as well as my projector.
I know its not true 4k, but I am sure that I will be switching to a 4k projector in the next 5 years.

I never realized that UHD player actually mattered, I always thought they all performed relatively the same in terms of video/audio.

Just lookin for advice on what UHD player I should be looking at.
wkosmann likes this.
post #2015 of 2669 Old 12-03-2018, 02:29 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9327 Post(s)
Liked: 6008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickpal View Post
The X Box One X can stream content in Dolby Vision, but it can't play discs encoded with it in Dolby Vision. Since your TCL is a Dolby Vision-capable TV, seems like you would want a player that can do it all. LG, Philips, and Sony make reasonably inexpensive players that can send Dolby Vision from discs to your television.
The Xbox DV does not currently work with DV on the TCL. TCL is working on an update which is supposed to come out next year. But right now you can only get HDR10 from the Xbox with the TCl 6 Series TV.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2016 of 2669 Old 12-04-2018, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Xbox DV does not currently work with DV on the TCL. TCL is working on an update which is supposed to come out next year. But right now you can only get HDR10 from the Xbox with the TCl 6 Series TV.
Good to know. I hope the poster with the original question also sees this.
post #2017 of 2669 Old 12-04-2018, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am hoping someone can offer some advice. I am looking for a UHD player that has similar capabilities to my Oppo BDP-103. My one requirement is that I need to be able to play the blu rays that I have backed up on my NAS. I currently play my blu ray backups (untouched with menus and extras...etc...) from BDMV folders via my BDP-103. Are there any players out there that will allow me to do this?

Thanks in advance
post #2018 of 2669 Old 12-04-2018, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 2124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd6675 View Post
I am hoping someone can offer some advice. I am looking for a UHD player that has similar capabilities to my Oppo BDP-103. My one requirement is that I need to be able to play the blu rays that I have backed up on my NAS. I currently play my blu ray backups (untouched with menus and extras...etc...) from BDMV folders via my BDP-103. Are there any players out there that will allow me to do this?

Thanks in advance
As far as I know (correct me if wrong, please), the OPPO 203 is your only UHD alternative if you can score one. Maybe a media player and a separate disk player?
post #2019 of 2669 Old 12-06-2018, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 81
But now that the 203 is no longer available, what is the best player to get that is equal or almost equal to their build and quality?

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, AA5 and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #2020 of 2669 Old 12-06-2018, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung M8500 or Sony X700? I have a Samsung KS8000 tv so I was leaning towards the M8500 based off the slim chance that my tv would get hdr10+ support in the future. Ignoring that, which player is recommended?
post #2021 of 2669 Old 12-07-2018, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
But now that the 203 is no longer available, what is the best player to get that is equal or almost equal to their build and quality?
I'd say you get about 60% of the functionality but good build quality with the Pioneer UDP-LX500, the MSRP is twice that of the 203 when available though. No HDMI input.
post #2022 of 2669 Old 12-08-2018, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony4K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
It should be noted that if someone were looking only to play UHD disc via HDMI that every player will look identical. If you aren't going anything with the video on the player side you won't get a benefit from an expensive player beyond the build quality of the unit.
Just a friendly respectful disagreement .... You will see a difference with the Panasonic. While it's true that all 4k players are going to look great, you will notice a difference between them if you have the opportunity to do a side by side comparison. I happened to own an Oppo 103 (1080p) player, A Sony UBP-X700 4k player, and the Panasonic DMP-UB900 at the same time and did a LOT of side by side comparisons. The Oppo 103 vs the Panny on 1080p content and the Sony vs the Panny on 4k. The least amount of difference was on 1080p content between the Oppo and the Panny but the Panny was still better by a slight margin and that was purely due to the slightly sharper picture. On 4K the Panny was a LOT better than the Sony ... If I'd never done a side by side I probably wouldn't think it was possible but I can tell you from experience that the Panny has a much better picture than the Sony. The Sharpness controls in the Panny that also cover color sharpness and not just edge are far superior to any other player out there ... The sharpness isn't the only thing that benefits from this, the color looks much better as well. Also, the Panny has a dynamic range adjustment so that when you're playing HDR discs on a display that can't do 1000 nits you can bring the brightness up to an acceptable level ... other 4K players do not have this capability. The new 820 panny handles this even better. So, respectfully the old adage does apply ... you indeed get what you pay for and with the Panasonic 4K players you get the best possible video that is noticeable over other highly regarded players. My initial test were done on a Samsung MU8000 75 inch TV which I sold and replaced with a Sony X940E ... Both benefit greatly from the Panasonics capability to produce wonderful video but the Samsung had to have a boost in brightness from the Panny in order to make HDR even watcheable ... The Sony 940 just looks fantastic period with no adjustment from the Panny. All things being equal any TV display will perform it's best in 4k with a Panasonic player ... I personally don't believe there's an equal to the Panasonic yet.
I own a Samsung MU8500 (the curved version of the MU8000). Just read your very helpful post which I found through Google ironically enough. Just purchased the Samsung M9500 UHD player and immediately noticed how dim the UHD discs are showing up. I noticed the HDR content on Netflix and Amazon are rather dark on this display as well, but wasn't sure what the issue was. Have seen HDR content on YouTube that is gloriously bright - but I'm told the brightness is boosted on these. Still it looks amazing and I'm wondering why all other HDR material falls short. If it is possible to appropriately boost the brightness to create this image, why can it not be done for other sources? There are ways to boost brightness per se on the images with "contrast enhancement" and the M9500's brightness setting, but I'm thinking these are cheats which do not add any detail...or they clip detail.

I have always sworn by Panasonic players but thought the price of their UHD players were too steep. Are you saying on the 820 it is possible to boost "brightness" without clipping or degrading the image? It is possible on the Samsung M9500 to increase brightness, but I'm thinking this is a cheat, and merely degrades the black level without adding detail. As reflected by your post I'm finding out that the MU series doesn't have the brightness for HDR (coming in at 650 nits), so are you suggesting the Panasonics are the best option, and do they increase detail in those dark areas? And do all of their players offer this capability?

Thanks again for your post, as I was at a loss for a solution to the HDR brightness issue on my display.
post #2023 of 2669 Old 12-10-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Good to know. I hope the poster with the original question also sees this.
Yes. I knew this when I bought the TV, and knew TCL was working on an update. I guess my thought was...hopefully this should be fixed soon, so do I need to get a UHD BD player? Or the better question is...is the Xbox One S a capable UHD BD player and I don't need anything else.

post #2024 of 2669 Old 12-10-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
The first part I was not aware of. I wonder if Xbox One will be releasing an update for discs?

post #2025 of 2669 Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I just picked up and installed an 82" Samsung nu8000 and its awesome! I need a good recommendation for a good budget 4k player, my system is a 5.1.2 atmos capable, I also have a sony 45es projector in the same room. I am a ps4/Nintendo switch guy but I keep thinking I might be better off getting an xbox one x, is the xbox one x a good 4k player picture quality wise?
post #2026 of 2669 Old 12-10-2018, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Which Xbox or PS for HBO Go?

We have a home theatre room with a 2.35:1 135" screen, a JVC X30 projector fed by a Marantz SR7007 AVR (pre Atmos !)

Since installing everything around 6 years ago we have only used a Sony PS3 for BD disks, Netflix, Amazon Prime Movies and HBO Go.

This last weekend while searching for a movie to watch, the HBO Go had a notice that after January 8, 2019 they will not be supporting the PS3s any longer!

* So now I need to get a new box and I don't know which one to get, the Xbox S, Xbox X or the PS4 Pro?

My current projector is only 1080 but I LOVE the picture on the 135" screen! but I assume the next projector will be a true 4k projector. Since it is a projector, HDR doesn't seem to be such an issue from what I have read.

I would like in the future to be able to;
Play 4K disks - assuming that Redbox will eventually have them
Change out my AVR to an Atmos capable unit
Until we can get some type of faster internet - currently our fastest download speed is 18 Mbs so streaming 4K movies probably wouldn't work.

So, any input on which unit I should get? I assume any of them would do at least what the old PS3 does

Thank you for your time!
post #2027 of 2669 Old 12-11-2018, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post
We have a home theatre room with a 2.35:1 135" screen, a JVC X30 projector fed by a Marantz SR7007 AVR (pre Atmos !)

Since installing everything around 6 years ago we have only used a Sony PS3 for BD disks, Netflix, Amazon Prime Movies and HBO Go.

This last weekend while searching for a movie to watch, the HBO Go had a notice that after January 8, 2019 they will not be supporting the PS3s any longer!

* So now I need to get a new box and I don't know which one to get, the Xbox S, Xbox X or the PS4 Pro?

My current projector is only 1080 but I LOVE the picture on the 135" screen! but I assume the next projector will be a true 4k projector. Since it is a projector, HDR doesn't seem to be such an issue from what I have read.

Until we can get some type of faster internet - currently our fastest download speed is 18 Mbs so streaming 4K movies probably wouldn't work.

So, any input on which unit I should get? I assume any of them would do at least what the old PS3 does

Thank you for your time!
I really do enjoy my xbox one S. I have contemplated getting an X for my new 4K HDR TV, but it seems a bit excessive and I probably won't. I've gotten a lot of good feedback in this thread alone, but maybe one of those Xbox One's if you like to game?

It also appears that the Sony UBP X-700 gets solid reviews as a stand alone UBDP...I may look into that as I don't want to constantly move my xbox around. It also appears the xbox doesn't play Dolby Vision disc at this point in time.

post #2028 of 2669 Old 12-11-2018, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricU View Post

Thank you for your time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungi43 View Post
I really do enjoy my xbox one S. I have contemplated getting an X for my new 4K HDR TV, but it seems a bit excessive and I probably won't. I've gotten a lot of good feedback in this thread alone, but maybe one of those Xbox One's if you like to game?

It also appears that the Sony UBP X-700 gets solid reviews as a stand alone UBDP...I may look into that as I don't want to constantly move my xbox around. It also appears the xbox doesn't play Dolby Vision disc at this point in time.
I'd go with the Sony. Seems reasonably priced, so if / when you go to a 4K display, you're in good shape. It also handles Dolby Vision, which to me is essential.
post #2029 of 2669 Old 12-11-2018, 08:53 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 9327 Post(s)
Liked: 6008
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I'd go with the Sony. Seems reasonably priced, so if / when you go to a 4K display, you're in good shape. It also handles Dolby Vision, which to me is essential.
But it also requires you to turn on Dolby Vision manually. I would hate to have to be constantly remembering to turn DV on and off. I still don't understand why Sony has an assinine manual toggle for DV. While every other DV player has an automatic option.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk
Trell likes this.

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2030 of 2669 Old 12-12-2018, 04:39 AM

Then what's a good UBP at/near the same price range as the Sony 700 that has DV and does it automatically?

post #2031 of 2669 Old 12-12-2018, 04:41 AM

Another weird question: I've read on some review sites people having issues with passing audio through when using an AVR and having to use two HDMI cables from these players? Does the main HDMI output not also output sound to the receiver?

Edit: N/M...I misread something.

Last edited by bungi43; 12-12-2018 at 06:06 AM.
post #2032 of 2669 Old 12-12-2018, 06:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5835 Post(s)
Liked: 8321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungi43 View Post
Another weird question: I've read on some review sites people having issues with passing audio through when using an AVR and having to use two HDMI cables from these players? Does the main HDMI output not also output sound to the receiver?

Edit: N/M...I misread something.
The problem is with the VIDEO. Some receivers are not able to pass 4K video (or 3D video). In that case you use two cables from the player: One cable direct to the TV for video and another cable to the AVR for audio (embedded in a "safe" video signal the AVR can handle).

Sometimes the problem with the video is that the AVR does not support the newer style of Copy Protection imposed on the video. Again, dual HDMI hookup solves the problem without having to replace the AVR.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #2033 of 2669 Old 12-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The problem is with the VIDEO. Some receivers are not able to pass 4K video (or 3D video). In that case you use two cables from the player: One cable direct to the TV for video and another cable to the AVR for audio (embedded in a "safe" video signal the AVR can handle).

Sometimes the problem with the video is that the AVR does not support the newer style of Copy Protection imposed on the video. Again, dual HDMI hookup solves the problem without having to replace the AVR.
--Bob
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. That's what I misread before I edited my first quote. I didn't think that sounded right.

post #2034 of 2669 Old 12-14-2018, 02:59 PM

So I ended up picking up the Philips BDP-7502 a couple of days ago. After 2 days of playing with it, I'm very happy with the decision. I was going to get that Sony 700, but someone mentioned having to manually turn on Dolby Vision and I didn't like that idea.

It looks great. Discs load fairly quickly. The unit is quiet. The Dolby Vision update took about 30 seconds.

Until feels a little on the cheap side, but I thought the Sony 700 did as well. I'll update more later, but it really makes things pop on my TCL 65R617
aaronwt likes this.

post #2035 of 2669 Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hoping the player I would like exists...

My current setup:

TV: Vizio LED TV (soon to be replaced w/a LG C8).
BD: Oppo BDP83 (using analog audio outs, HDMI direct to TV)
Denon 2307CI: (using analog inputs)
Emotiva XPA5: (using Denon analog outputs)
Home built Statements speakers

I'm buying a LG C8 soon so will be joining the 4K realm. I need a player with analog 6 channel output. Catch is, I also have a not-trivial sized SACD collection. I've been through the recommended players thread and googled until my fingers bleed and cannot find a player with both analog audio outputs and SACD playback. Does such a player exist?

Bonus question: With the C8, is there a particularly good player to "pair" it with? Do all the HDR/Dolby Vision/other terms I don't really know well matter?

-Chuck
post #2036 of 2669 Old 12-15-2018, 03:37 AM

Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
My current setup:

I'm buying a LG C8 soon so will be joining the 4K realm. I need a player with analog 6 channel output. Catch is, I also have a not-trivial sized SACD collection. I've been through the recommended players thread and googled until my fingers bleed and cannot find a player with both analog audio outputs and SACD playback. Does such a player exist?

Bonus question: With the C8, is there a particularly good player to "pair" it with? Do all the HDR/Dolby Vision/other terms I don't really know well matter?
Panasonic 820 is the only 4k player that has analogue outputs.

It doesn't play Sacd.

Pioneer UDP lx500 has Sacd but no Multi analogue output.

Sony x700 is a cheaper player that can play DV and Sacd. But hdmi

If you can't use one of theese, maybe wait and see if Panasonic realease a Sacd 4k player with analog.
post #2037 of 2669 Old 12-15-2018, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
My current setup:

The Oppo 203/205 is the only 4k player that plays SACD with full analog out capability. A few have 2 channel out, like the Sony x1000es and the pioneer lx500 and LX800. The Oppo's will cost an arm and a leg used.

It night be time to move on from the older Denon to an HDMI connection with a more modern AVR. I don't know of any with the Ext in Denon used to have. It should be relatively easy to find even a mid tier AVR with a better dac than the older Oppo 83 and with preouts for going to your Emotiva. Then just hook up hdmi video to your display and audio hdmi out to your avr. That will open up your player options to include Sony and Pioneer.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650

Last edited by glangford; 12-16-2018 at 01:36 AM.
post #2038 of 2669 Old 12-18-2018, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
The Oppo 203/205 is the only 4k player that plays SACD with full analog out capability. A few have 2 channel out, like the Sony x1000es and the pioneer lx500 and LX800. The Oppo's will cost an arm and a leg used.

It night be time to move on from the older Denon to an HDMI connection with a more modern AVR. I don't know of any with the Ext in Denon used to have. It should be relatively easy to find even a mid tier AVR with a better dac than the older Oppo 83 and with preouts for going to your Emotiva. Then just hook up hdmi video to your display and audio hdmi out to your avr. That will open up your player options to include Sony and Pioneer.
Yeah I guess that's my only route at this point unless I keep the Oppo purely for SACD playback. I guess it'd be nice to have a newer AVR, I just know it's going to cost an arm and a leg to get both.

-Chuck
post #2039 of 2669 Old 12-18-2018, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I guess that's my only route at this point unless I keep the Oppo purely for SACD playback. I guess it'd be nice to have a newer AVR, I just know it's going to cost an arm and a leg to get both.
Not necessarily in my opinion. If you keep the OPPO 83, you've got every kind of disk covered except for UHD. If you get a less expensive UHD player (Phillips?), you can cover all of the bases.

You can get a good AVR refurbished here, and that may cover all bases for what a high end player will cost.

If you get a Roku Ultra like mine, you get very good streaming coverage (you can replace it with a Fire TV or Apple TV).

Doesn't need to be a huge outlay.
post #2040 of 2669 Old 12-18-2018, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Always on/Forced DV

I am seriously considering to buy Sony X700, But i need your valuable advise , please help.

Is this always on/Forced DV real Dolby vision ?

or a generated /psuedo effect.?

As i have come to know that Panansonic 4k players such as UB820 do that automatically i.e auto switch to dolby vision rather then always on.

I also wonder why sony can't provide us with the similar switching with DV content ?

Thanks in advance

Sony 55A8F OLED TV, Sony X900E LCD TV, Yamaha RX-A3050 reciever, Epson 5300 1080p projector, SVS Ultra Tower Surround Sound 7.1.2 system, SVS PB2000 Subwoofer, SVS SB1000 Subwoofer, Marantz UD7007 Universal Disc Player, LG UP970 UHD Player, Braun 16:9 projector screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player , blu ray , Blu Ray Players , dvd , hdcp upgrade compliance , hdr , hdr player , upscale 4k , upscaling , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page