Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18270Likes

post #2131 of 2706 Old 01-30-2019, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Looking for the best 4K blue ray player with a reasonable price

I am looking to buy a 4K blue ray player but can’t spend that 400-800 price for the real high end players. I just want the cheapest one that supports full quality output of 4K hdr10 and supports correct 4:2:0 to 4:4:4. I was going to buy an Xbox one s until I heard the colors are pretty bad and flat compared to a dedicated 4K player as it doesn’t support 4:4:4 output. I tried to research this site and online but so few players make it clear what output they support and pretty much only tell you what hdr modes they have .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2706 Old 01-31-2019, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungi43 View Post
@aaronwt or anyone for that matter

Has this been fixed with an update by any chance?
No. Sorry.
post #2133 of 2706 Old 01-31-2019, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 19
With the format wars going on now, we have an interesting show to watch. I was thinking of pushing the start button on a sammy db uhd player that supports hdr10 and +, but it doesnt support DV. The interesting part is that the players supporting both DV and hdr10+ are just as, if not more, expensive than buying TWO players to cover both bases!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2134 of 2706 Old 01-31-2019, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Sometime in Spring or Summer, I'm looking to buy a 4K Blu-ray player that has Dolby Vision support and want to spend no more than $300, $500 is the maximum limit overall. I was eyeing on the LG UBK90 but I don't like how the HDMI-CEC system works with LG players & because of that I'm getting a non-LG Blu-ray player for the first time ever. Which should I do and why?
Get the Sony UBP-X700 (although I heard the HDR settings is a bit complex), Philips BD7502, Panasonic UB820, or just wait & see what 2019 brings to the table? I see Sony is bringing out the UBP-X800 successor finally with Dolby Vision support, Panasonic is bringing out a budget DV player sometime this year, hopefully not a Europe-only release.
PS, it's replacing my first ever UHD player that I got from Best Buy Black Friday 2017 the LG UP875, pretty decent budget player if you don't need DV nor any apps like Netflix for example.

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 5.1.2 Atmos/DTS:X) | Xbox One X | Amazon Fire Stick 4K
post #2135 of 2706 Old 01-31-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6568 Post(s)
Liked: 6326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoland2020 View Post
Sometime in Spring or Summer, I'm looking to buy a 4K Blu-ray player that has Dolby Vision support and want to spend no more than $300, $500 is the maximum limit overall. I was eyeing on the LG UBK90 but I don't like how the HDMI-CEC system works with LG players & because of that I'm getting a non-LG Blu-ray player for the first time ever. Which should I do and why?

Get the Sony UBP-X700 (although I heard the HDR settings is a bit complex), Philips BD7502, Panasonic UB820, or just wait & see what 2019 brings to the table? I see Sony is bringing out the UBP-X800 successor finally with Dolby Vision support, Panasonic is bringing out a budget DV player sometime this year, hopefully not a Europe-only release.

PS, it's replacing my first ever UHD player that I got from Best Buy Black Friday 2017 the LG UP875, pretty decent budget player if you don't need DV nor any apps like Netflix for example.

Wait until you’re closer to actual purchase time.
post #2136 of 2706 Old 01-31-2019, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Wait until you’re closer to actual purchase time.
Until then, the research continues. Thanks, I'll take that advice for now.

My current mancave room setup:
Vizio V436-G1 4K HDR TV | LG UBK90 4K Blu-ray player | Denon AVR-S740H AV Receiver (running 5.1.2 Atmos/DTS:X) | Xbox One X | Amazon Fire Stick 4K
post #2137 of 2706 Old 01-31-2019, 01:39 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9406 Post(s)
Liked: 6096
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungi43 View Post
@aaronwt or anyone for that matter

Has this been fixed with an update by any chance?
From what I've read in the X700 thread this is still the case. And it doesn't sound like Sony has any intention of changing it.

So I am hopeful that the 2019 Sony DV players will have an automatic setting. Otherwise Sony won't be getting any money from me for a UHD BD player in 2019.

If SOny follows past years, some of their new players should be out by March. Early March 2017 is when I purchased my X800. So I'm hoping the X800M2 will be out by then as well.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 01-31-2019 at 01:43 PM.
post #2138 of 2706 Old 01-31-2019, 08:01 PM

Just might opinion, but in the bd uhd search one must consider the newest HDR formats because of their tremendous visual improvements. Hdr10+ and Dolby vision . On the surface these two formats are direct competitors producing nearly the same result-- better visual rendering via meta data payload that gives the display scene specific instructions, over coming the limitations of hdr10. DV is more expensive to implement (licensing fees to Dolby, and specific hardware) . Hdr10+ was designed to avoid the Dolby fees but does essentially the same thing (not trying to argue the merits here just pointing out the political drama). Hdr10+ also utilizes Meta data to provide scene specific control but is less expensive because it isn't making another company rich .

Anyway I think we're headed for a DTS/DD like scenario where both hdr10+ (endorsed by Samsung and fox) and Dolby vision will coexist. Samsung's hissy fit is amusing--their flagship TVs have hdr10+ but no support for DV!

On the player front my feeling (which is just that) is that hdr10 is going to die a natural death and that that hdr10+ and Dolby vision will Duke it out much like auro3d and atmos are duking it out.

That means we have to carefully plan our AV investments (particularly the tv) to align with the formats expected to dominate one's disk collection, and one has to own a player capable of playing the disks with the content of interest! Will all 4k uhd movies be produced in both DV and hdr10+? I doubt it. Will we see sub $200 players supporting both ? I doubt that since DV support requires contributing to dolbys bank account.

So, with apologies for the epistle, my read is that the next crop of 4k bd players supporting both hdr10+ and DV are not going to be found south of 400 . I hope I'm wrong...Cuz I want one

Last edited by dlleno; 01-31-2019 at 08:06 PM.
post #2139 of 2706 Old 01-31-2019, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2084 Post(s)
Liked: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlleno View Post
Just might opinion, but in the bd uhd search one must consider the newest HDR formats because of their tremendous visual improvements. Hdr10+ and Dolby vision . On the surface these two formats are direct competitors producing nearly the same result-- better visual rendering via meta data payload that gives the display scene specific instructions, over coming the limitations of hdr10. DV is more expensive to implement (licensing fees to Dolby, and specific hardware) . Hdr10+ was designed to avoid the Dolby fees but does essentially the same thing (not trying to argue the merits here just pointing out the political drama). Hdr10+ also utilizes Meta data to provide scene specific control but is less expensive because it isn't making another company rich .

Anyway I think we're headed for a DTS/DD like scenario where both hdr10+ (endorsed by Samsung and fox) and Dolby vision will coexist. Samsung's hissy fit is amusing--their flagship TVs have hdr10+ but no support for DV!

On the player front my feeling (which is just that) is that hdr10 is going to die a natural death and that that hdr10+ and Dolby vision will Duke it out much like auro3d and atmos are duking it out.

That means we have to carefully plan our AV investments (particularly the tv) to align with the formats expected to dominate one's disk collection, and one has to own a player capable of playing the disks with the content of interest! Will all 4k uhd movies be produced in both DV and hdr10+? I doubt it. Will we see sub $200 players supporting both ? I doubt that since DV support requires contributing to dolbys bank account.

So, with apologies for the epistle, my read is that the next crop of 4k bd players supporting both hdr10+ and DV are not going to be found south of 400 . I hope I'm wrong...Cuz I want one
There are already sub $200 (street price) UHD players that support DV and since HDR10+ is open source (no additional licensing fees) I don't see why a player that supports both wouldn't be available under $200. Especially as the UHD market matures.

I think you overstate the Dolby money grab. There are many DV capable TVs at the entry level of the market (TCL 4 and 5 series, Vizio E series, Hisense, Philips)
post #2140 of 2706 Old 02-01-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
There are already sub $200 (street price) UHD players that support DV and since HDR10+ is open source (no additional licensing fees) I don't see why a player that supports both wouldn't be available under $200. Especially as the UHD market matures.

I think you overstate the Dolby money grab. There are many DV capable TVs at the entry level of the market (TCL 4 and 5 series, Vizio E series, Hisense, Philips)
Could be more of a political thing, Samsung appears to be unwilling to support dv, which is pretty curious to me. Maybe they think hdr10+ will dominate (seems unlikely to me).

As for the player cost , you've pointed out that there is no economic reason that a $200 player can't support both, so the present landscape tells us that it is a marketing and profitability thing. I hope you're right that the disk market settles into the realization that there is demand for such a player, and that movie makers continue to produce disks in spite of the streaming market whicj is still at a bandwidth disadvantage, in that there is still too much unreliable copper dsl out there
post #2141 of 2706 Old 02-02-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hey guys. I am really out of the loop on this stuff. I want a Blu-Ray player to go with my Panasonic 65" plasma in our basement. It is about five years old, and *not* 4K, but I'd like to get a 4K player if I decide to upgrade the TV in the future. I would like to stay under $300. Thanks for any recommendations.
post #2142 of 2706 Old 02-02-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader3 View Post
Hey guys. I am really out of the loop on this stuff. I want a Blu-Ray player to go with my Panasonic 65" plasma in our basement. It is about five years old, and *not* 4K, but I'd like to get a 4K player if I decide to upgrade the TV in the future. I would like to stay under $300. Thanks for any recommendations.
Features and reliability need to settle. I suggest you buy the 4K UHD player if/when you buy the TV.

A Sony BDP-S6700 would do now.
post #2143 of 2706 Old 02-02-2019, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Features and reliability need to settle. I suggest you buy the 4K UHD player if/when you buy the TV.

Good to know! Thanks for the advice!
post #2144 of 2706 Old 02-04-2019, 04:57 PM
R4K

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Replacement for DVD & PS4 + support for 4K

Hi,

I recently upgraded my "home theater" with Sammy's Q9 TV and I'm thinking about swapping a few other parts.

My main player for video discs is PS4, but I'm still using my old (& still pretty good) Yamaha DVD-S1700.
IMHO it has much better audio output + supports SA-CD and DVD-Audio discs which I own and love to listen.

I'm not overwhelmingly happy with PS4's video adjustment settings, quite flat picture + lack of support for 4K discs (and HDR10+ in near future).

Is there any sub $300-350 4k player that could replace my old Yamaha and provide better picture quality than PS4?

Thank you in advance for tips!
sher likes this.
post #2145 of 2706 Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a LG 65C8 and now looking into updating my sources. One of them is updating my really old Sony Blu-ray player, BDP-BX2. I have always have been a fan of the Oppo, and was going to buy the 203 when I finally updated to 4k, but now I have to look elsewhere. I am split between going long term and buying the Panasonic DP-UB820, or going cheap and getting the Sony UBP-X700 and upgrade/replace it later. Really the question is can I expect that the Panasonic will continued to get firmware updates 6+ years from now? I am not fixed on my choices if there is a better option.

Also, I will be watching only disk based content on it, mostly non UHD. I will be using LG WebOS and a NVidia shield for streaming content.
post #2146 of 2706 Old 02-07-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked: 2171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan SCE View Post
I just bought a LG 65C8 and now looking into updating my sources. One of them is updating my really old Sony Blu-ray player, BDP-BX2. I have always have been a fan of the Oppo, and was going to buy the 203 when I finally updated to 4k, but now I have to look elsewhere. I am split between going long term and buying the Panasonic DP-UB820, or going cheap and getting the Sony UBP-X700 and upgrade/replace it later. Really the question is can I expect that the Panasonic will continued to get firmware updates 6+ years from now? I am not fixed on my choices if there is a better option.

Also, I will be watching only disk based content on it, mostly non UHD. I will be using LG WebOS and a NVidia shield for streaming content.
I guess your answer lies in threads for previous Panasonic players. If they are supported at 6+ years, then that is Panasonic's philosophy. If they are not, then you have a true response.

I bought a 203 after when OPPO stopped making players, they are still producing firmware for the player and have made several new features available. If you can find one with a price that doesn't make your stomach turn, then that may be a choice.

Otherwise, I'd take the Sony, since you know the market is still changing and you'll replace it when things calm down.
post #2147 of 2706 Old 02-07-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan SCE View Post

FWIW, I am in a similar boat. My solution was to go with an LG-UBK90. On sale, it was about $150. It is a basic player (with DV) that has worked well. I thought it would fill the bill until the format settles down and there are more reasonable options...
post #2148 of 2706 Old 02-08-2019, 06:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Otherwise, I'd take the Sony, since you know the market is still changing and you'll replace it when things calm down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
FWIW, I am in a similar boat. My solution was to go with an LG-UBK90. On sale, it was about $150. It is a basic player (with DV) that has worked well. I thought it would fill the bill until the format settles down and there are more reasonable options...

Thanks, I will get the Sony then. Or I will when the price drops back down on Amazon.
post #2149 of 2706 Old 02-08-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1871
Panasonic or other companies firmware support for 4K UHD players at the 6yr mark is high expectation. Panasonic may have already kicked their 900 to the curb in that regard.

Sony x700 seems a good current cheaper bet, as more bugs are eradicated from this discipline.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #2150 of 2706 Old 02-09-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post

I agree. You can go ahead and purchase any new movies in 4K since they also come with the standard BD. That way, you can use the standard BD on with the Sony BDP-S6700 (which I own) and then in the future, when you have your 4K TV and a UHD Player, you can play the 4K discs.
sher likes this.
post #2151 of 2706 Old 02-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Guys hello,
I just bought a 6 series TCL Roku tv. All the 4k HDR shows are really crisp..Netflix 1080 and 4k is also very crisp.
My problem is comcast 1080 looks very compressed and blurry. I have a comcast box.

Back in 2014 I had a sony XBR65900A as well as an Oppo 103. Both were stellar at upscaling comcasts' crappy signal.

What system can I buy now that will help the TCL with upscaling without breaking the bank?
I tried the Marseille cable it did nothing.
I tried the DarbeeVision DVP-5000S, it also did nothing much.

Is there a blu ray player that upscales well?
post #2152 of 2706 Old 02-12-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post
Guys hello,
I just bought a 6 series TCL Roku tv. All the 4k HDR shows are really crisp..Netflix 1080 and 4k is also very crisp.
My problem is comcast 1080 looks very compressed and blurry. I have a comcast box.

Back in 2014 I had a sony XBR65900A as well as an Oppo 103. Both were stellar at upscaling comcasts' crappy signal.

What system can I buy now that will help the TCL with upscaling without breaking the bank?

I take it the 103 is gone.

The problem is not so much the upscaling, but the fact that outside of the OPPO (and Cambridge, which are modified OPPOs), no other players have HDMI inputs.

It is that input that allowed the 103 to upscale the comcast signal and clean it up. It's one of the things that made the OPPOs such a deal.

Outside of getting a dedicated upscaler like the Lumagen (1500 to 3000+), I don't really know another option. Then you rely on the display's upscaling, and you may be finding a weakness in the TCL.

If you can find a used 103 or better a 103D you may luck out, but it won't be cheap.
post #2153 of 2706 Old 02-12-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The problem is not so much the upscaling, but the fact that outside of the OPPO (and Cambridge, which are modified OPPOs), no other players have HDMI inputs.

It is that input that allowed the 103 to upscale the comcast signal and clean it up. It's one of the things that made the OPPOs such a deal.

Outside of getting a dedicated upscaler like the Lumagen (1500 to 3000+), I don't really know another option. Then you rely on the display's upscaling, and you may be finding a weakness in the TCL.

If you can find a used 103 or better a 103D you may luck out, but it won't be cheap.
Xbox has an HDMI input, but Quovadis already knows this

Whether it is a good upscaler or not is a different question.
post #2154 of 2706 Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes.. the Oppo is gone because that Sony tv upscaled identically well. In fact in 2013 most of us who bought the Sony XBR65900A and the oppo, came to the conclusion that both systems performed similarly.
Most people did think that Sony did a better job with simulated 3d, so, the oppo simply became a BD player on the side.
Obviously, had I been in possession of a crystal ball at the time I would not have sold the Oppo.

It seems weird to me that only Oppo does this upscaling sharpening business? You would think that other bd players also have the same functionality..Now, Oppo has gone out of business, and there really is nothing affordable to replace it.

One could potentially not watch comcast cable at all...I have not checked out Slings quality but I'm sure it's similar to comcast. The comcast image is quite blurry with the TCL. I can tell watching CNN there's a lot of definition missing on faces and hair.
The TCL does not do a good job of anti aliasing...
post #2155 of 2706 Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Xbox has an HDMI input, but Quovadis already knows this

Whether it is a good upscaler or not is a different question.
Ah - game consoles. Sure, they've had teething issues with atmos and dolby vision and have addressed them.

No problem with the Xbox, I guess the question is how well it upscales the input signal. I limited my comments to players.
post #2156 of 2706 Old 02-12-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes.. the Oppo is gone because that Sony tv upscaled identically well. In fact in 2013 most of us who bought the Sony XBR65900A and the oppo, came to the conclusion that both systems performed similarly.
Most people did think that Sony did a better job with simulated 3d, so, the oppo simply became a BD player on the side.
Obviously, had I been in possession of a crystal ball at the time I would not have sold the Oppo.

It seems weird to me that only Oppo does this upscaling sharpening business? You would think that other bd players also have the same functionality..Now, Oppo has gone out of business, and there really is nothing affordable to replace it.

One could potentially not watch comcast cable at all...I have not checked out Slings quality but I'm sure it's similar to comcast. The comcast image is quite blurry with the TCL. I can tell watching CNN there's a lot of definition missing on faces and hair.
Offtopic for UHD players but it sounds like a good time to explore alternatives to Comcast. Sling is not the only option out there. I doubt that the Comcast issues you are having are going to be solved by upscaling.
post #2157 of 2706 Old 02-12-2019, 12:38 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Guys hello,

Because Comcast is very compressed and blurry. Comcast downrezzes all content to 720P and then uses a very low bitrate. FiOS looks terrible now too, but Comcast still looks worse. The solution is to sit far enough away that you can't see any detail. When you sit far away then the picture looks decent. but of course you can't see detail from that distance.

post #2158 of 2706 Old 02-12-2019, 12:40 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Offtopic for UHD players but it sounds like a good time to explore alternatives to Comcast. Sling is not the only option out there. I doubt that the Comcast issues you are having are going to be solved by upscaling.
And it won't. crap in, crap out. And the comcast video is nothing but crap. And so is FiOS now. But not as bad crap as Comcast is.

post #2159 of 2706 Old 02-12-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
I've dropped comcast and gone to the DirectTV Now streaming service. The PQ is excellent to me, and costs a lot less than comcast. Enough that I used a fraction of what I was paying to upgrade the internet to gigabit.

I kept comcast in parallel to make sure I wasn't losing anything in what I wanted to watch, then divested. The upscaling would then be handled by the device you use. I have a Roku Ultra, which is good. I am feeding it to an OPPO 203, but you may find that the scaling the device you choose (Apple TV, Roku, Amazon, etc... ) would do a reasonable job.
post #2160 of 2706 Old 02-12-2019, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've dropped comcast and gone to the DirectTV Now streaming service. The PQ is excellent to me, and costs a lot less than comcast. Enough that I used a fraction of what I was paying to upgrade the internet to gigabit.

I kept comcast in parallel to make sure I wasn't losing anything in what I wanted to watch, then divested. The upscaling would then be handled by the device you use. I have a Roku Ultra, which is good. I am feeding it to an OPPO 203, but you may find that the scaling the device you choose (Apple TV, Roku, Amazon, etc... ) would do a reasonable job.
I'm wondering if direct tv is simply better.. or that your oppo is making the direct tv look better? I will have to try direct tv then.
sher likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player , blu ray , Blu Ray Players , dvd , hdcp upgrade compliance , hdr , hdr player , upscale 4k , upscaling , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page