Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18171Likes

post #2251 of 2414 Old 04-12-2019, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Currently have the Sony UBP-700. Is there another affordable player like this one with less disc issues and automatic DV HDR switching?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2414 Old 04-12-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post
Currently have the Sony UBP-700. Is there another affordable player like this one with less disc issues and automatic DV HDR switching?
Maybe watch for a LG UBK90 sale.

https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-...blu-ray-player

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #2253 of 2414 Old 04-12-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 1231
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Depends what TV is being used. If it's a Sony, then you are screwed unless you want to spend $500 on the Panasonic UHD player. Neither the LG or the Philips DV UHD players support the Sony DV profile.

If it's not a Sony TV, I would recommend the Philips 7302/7502 over the LG UBK90. The LG requires the owner to manually set the frame rate, which is a similar problem to the Sony 700 requiring manual selection of Dolby Vision.
sigmaace01, Flickpal and Panson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2254 of 2414 Old 04-13-2019, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I agree. The Philips 7502 is an excellent disc player. Does well with CDs, DVDs, Blus, and UHD. No problems at all with mine, and even the small glitch it has with 3D discs isn't a major distraction for me. Only two streaming apps if that matters.
aaronwt and sigmaace01 like this.
post #2255 of 2414 Old 04-13-2019, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Count my vote for the Philips, too. It is a solid player and my only complaint is I don't like the remote. It's limited to YouTube and Netflix for streaming services but as my TV is ROKU OS that is not an issue for me.

Others have complained that the Philips is loud compared to some higher end players but it is only about 7 feet in front of me in a very small room and I don't notice anything when its playing. Also, if you are or plan on using ARC/CEC you may want to turn off "quick start" else the player may turn on unexpectedly as some have reported.
sigmaace01 likes this.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #2256 of 2414 Old 04-13-2019, 07:56 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8912 Post(s)
Liked: 5695
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdelaney View Post
Count my vote for the Philips, too. It is a solid player and my only complaint is I don't like the remote. It's limited to YouTube and Netflix for streaming services but as my TV is ROKU OS that is not an issue for me.

Others have complained that the Philips is loud compared to some higher end players but it is only about 7 feet in front of me in a very small room and I don't notice anything when its playing. Also, if you are or plan on using ARC/CEC you may want to turn off "quick start" else the player may turn on unexpectedly as some have reported.
Yes. That is my only complaint with my Philips 7502. It is louder than any disc player I've had in over a decade. But I can also hear the fan from a DVR over fifteen feet away. So I am probably more sensitive to that noise. But I really only notice the disc spinning noise during quiet passages of movies. And then of course it is louder at the beginning of a disc. The disc is spinning slower later so it's not as loud. But otherwise I am very pleased with the 7502 and the picture it produces. Of course the $72 I paid for the Phillips also helps.

I am so glad that I did not get the Sony X700. I would have thrown it out the window if I had to constantly mess with a manual DV toggle.

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--43TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2257 of 2414 Old 04-13-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Depends what TV is being used. If it's a Sony, then you are screwed unless you want to spend $500 on the Panasonic UHD player. Neither the LG or the Philips DV UHD players support the Sony DV profile.

If it's not a Sony TV, I would recommend the Philips 7302/7502 over the LG UBK90. The LG requires the owner to manually set the frame rate, which is a similar problem to the Sony 700 requiring manual selection of Dolby Vision.
Right on. It's tough keeping up with all the electronics industry's incompatibilities and cluster___s.

A related mention at this site's cousin forum.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-...2173052/page-4

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #2258 of 2414 Old 04-14-2019, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I bought the UBP-UX80 from Costco. Worked good for a year, great 4K picture, and now it constantly malfunctions.

Have to unplug it, input our Netflix info every day, weird menu popping up.

Is the LG UBKC90 a solid player? They're offering that at Costco as well and I like their return policy.

For long term am I better off just biting the bullet and getting a Panasonic?
post #2259 of 2414 Old 04-14-2019, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
I bought the UBP-UX80 from Costco. Worked good for a year, great 4K picture, and now it constantly malfunctions.

Have to unplug it, input our Netflix info every day, weird menu popping up.

Is the LG UBKC90 a solid player? They're offering that at Costco as well and I like their return policy.

For long term am I better off just biting the bullet and getting a Panasonic?
How long is the warranty?
post #2260 of 2414 Old 04-14-2019, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIDexII View Post
How long is the warranty?
I'm not sure. Costco has a great return policy and I planned on returning the Sony today.

The only player listed on their site right now is the LG.
post #2261 of 2414 Old 04-14-2019, 07:50 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8912 Post(s)
Liked: 5695
I would get the Sony replaced instead of getting the LG. The Sony is a better player than the LG. Unless you need Dolby Vision.

If I remember correctly, the LG didn't have defeatable HDMI -cec. Which is one a reason I did not want to get it. So I got a Philips for a DV player.

With the Costco generous return policy, I would stick with the Sony. Although my launch Sony x800 has not had any problems. But I do still have 23 months left on it's 48 month extended warranty I got from Best buy on it.
Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB)
irishluck73 likes this.

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--43TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-14-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #2262 of 2414 Old 04-14-2019, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I would get the Sony replaced instead of getting the LG. The Sony is a better player than the LG. Unless you need Dolby Vision.

If I remember correctly, the LG didn't have defeatable HDMI -cec. Which is one a reason I did not want to get it. So I got a Philips for a DV player.

With the Costco generous return policy, I would stick with the Sony. Although my launch Sony x800 has not had any problems. But I do still have 23 months left on it's 48 month extended warranty I got from Best buy on it.
Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB)
If they have Sony again I would get one. More than likely I'll need to purchase elsewhere or get the LG.

The Panasonic UB-820 looks pretty slick but is cost prohibitive. I may spring for it anyway...
post #2263 of 2414 Old 04-16-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 318
HDR Tone Mapping on UHDBR Players

Are there any UHD players that have the automatic tone mapping besides the Panasonics? Hopefully there is one that is less expensive.

Jack
post #2264 of 2414 Old 04-16-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Any justification for getting anything other than an Xbox One for 4K BD playback?

I will be purchasing my first ever 4K TV in the next few weeks and want the ability to play back 4K HDR Blu-ray discs.

Currently all of my BD playback is on my PS4.

Is there any justification for getting a dedicated 4K BD player instead of an Xbox for this purpose?

Thanks
post #2265 of 2414 Old 04-16-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I will be purchasing my first ever 4K TV in the next few weeks and want the ability to play back 4K HDR Blu-ray discs.

Currently all of my BD playback is on my PS4.

Is there any justification for getting a dedicated 4K BD player instead of an Xbox for this purpose?

Thanks

I don't think so, especially if you already have the XBox player. It's gotten reasonable reviews for UHD picture quality disk playback, so may as well try it and see if you like it.

The audio you might want to do some research on. I know it had some early problems with Dolby Atmos, so if that is your setup, you may want to check on where that is now.

If you're curious afterwards, get a dedicated player and test it out against what you get from the XBox.

I'm a dedicated player guy, but I use it for more than just UHD disks, so I "need" a dedicated player. Also not a gamer, so there you go.

Last edited by hernanu; 04-16-2019 at 10:47 AM.
post #2266 of 2414 Old 04-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I don't think so, especially if you already have the XBox player. It's gotten reasonable reviews for UHD picture quality disk playback, so may as well try it and see if you like it.

The audio you might want to do some research on. I know it had some early problems with Dolby Atmos, so if that is your setup, you may want to check on where that is now.

If you're curious afterwards, get a dedicated player and test it out against what you get from the XBox.

I'm a dedicated player guy, but I use it for more than just UHD disks, so I "need" a dedicated player. Also not a gamer, so there you go.
I don't currently own any BD device capable of 4K playback, my question is if I'm spending $400 if there are enough advantages of buying a standalone player vs. a game console that I can use for other things.
post #2267 of 2414 Old 04-16-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
Quote:
I don't currently own any BD device capable of 4K playback, my question is if I'm spending $400 if there are enough advantages of buying a standalone player vs. a game console that I can use for other things.
Well, that's where you get to make the choice.

It appears that the XBox is capable of handling UHD media pretty well. There may be some issues you need to look up, but if they've already been fixed or don't matter to you... voila' you get an XBox.

If you have other things you want from a player, or things the XBox doesn't do well, like the remote, or network access of video files, etc... Then a dedicated player comes into the picture.

If you really want both a game console AND a UHD player, then the XBox your solution, since the Playstation doesn't have a disk player and won't ever according to their management.

If you want to check out the two in parallel for your uses, buy two and return one. Say a less expensive (LG?) UHD player and the XBox.

As an example, for me, I don't play games but do use UHD disks, bluray, DVD's, regular audio CD's, SACD's, DVD-Audio disks... on my NAS, I have MKV files to watch video, home video and loads of audio files that I play - MP3's, FLAC, etc. So my player has to handle all of that. Iff you don't need that, then the XBox may be perfect and you get to play the games.
post #2268 of 2414 Old 04-16-2019, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
A lot of folks sing the praises of the tone mapping and HDR optimizer features of the of the Panasonic UB820 and UB9000 players but the 820 costs more than an Xbox and the 9000 costs twice as much as the UB820. Compared to the Xbox either of those will have better HDR performance but you have to decide for yourself if the price is worth it. I have an Xbox One X and an UB9000 but as a gamer if I had to choose only one I'd have to go with the Xbox. If you don't really care about games and are considering the Xbox primarily as a UHD player then I'd consider the UB820.
irishluck73 likes this.
post #2269 of 2414 Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
A lot of folks sing the praises of the tone mapping and HDR optimizer features of the of the Panasonic UB820 and UB9000 players but the 820 costs more than an Xbox and the 9000 costs twice as much as the UB820. Compared to the Xbox either of those will have better HDR performance but you have to decide for yourself if the price is worth it. I have an Xbox One X and an UB9000 but as a gamer if I had to choose only one I'd have to go with the Xbox. If you don't really care about games and are considering the Xbox primarily as a UHD player then I'd consider the UB820.
Does the Xbox support Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos HD audio formats? I have a Harmony One I should be able to leverage for remote control and I already plan to update my Apple TV to the 4K variety for streaming services & Plex media playback so don't care about that.

I'm more of a PS4 guy but if I had an Xbox I supposed I'd buy the occasional exclusive that comes out for it.
post #2270 of 2414 Old 04-16-2019, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Does the Xbox support Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos HD audio formats? I have a Harmony One I should be able to leverage for remote control and I already plan to update my Apple TV to the 4K variety for streaming services & Plex media playback so don't care about that.

I'm more of a PS4 guy but if I had an Xbox I supposed I'd buy the occasional exclusive that comes out for it.
The Xbox One does support both Atmos and Dolby Vision. I was a PS4 guy myself but the Xbox One X has superior 4K gaming performance as well as Atmos (PS4 doesn't support Atmos) so since updating to a 4k display the Xbox is now my primary console and I use the PS4 just for exclusives.
post #2271 of 2414 Old 04-16-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Many people (myself included) hate the Xbox menu navigation that is required for UHD playback. It's slow and cumbersome.
aaronwt likes this.
post #2272 of 2414 Old 04-16-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
The Xbox One does support both Atmos and Dolby Vision. I was a PS4 guy myself but the Xbox One X has superior 4K gaming performance as well as Atmos (PS4 doesn't support Atmos) so since updating to a 4k display the Xbox is now my primary console and I use the PS4 just for exclusives.
Xbox only supports Dolby Vision for streaming. Nothing announced for disc support, at least not yet.
post #2273 of 2414 Old 04-16-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Xbox only supports Dolby Vision for streaming. Nothing announced for disc support, at least not yet.
Ah well that puts a damper on things.
post #2274 of 2414 Old 04-17-2019, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Choosing a BD Player / Streamer?

Hi,
I'm looking to get a new 4K BD player and streamer.

I use a Sony UBP-x800 currently, and I like it. It doesn't support Dolby Vision, but seems to do a good job with Netflix and Amazon.

I will be setting up a projector in the next few weeks and looking for some help with choosing a player for that location.

Any comparisons between Panasonic DP-UB820-K and either the x800 or the new x800m2?

The projector doesn't support Dolby Vision, but my TV does... so I might move the ubp-x800 to the projector, and then get a player that auto-recognizes Dolby Vision and HDR. The Sony x700 doesn't seem to do that.

I'd prefer to stay closer to $300 than $500 for the Panasonic.

Anyway- any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
post #2275 of 2414 Old 04-17-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question

Looking for a UHD Player

Needs to have
HDR 10+
Dolby Vision

Don't care about streaming, music, or file support.

Honestly I would probably just get an Xbox One X if not for the lack of Dolby Vision support.

I was looking at the Panasonic DP-UB820, but I will likely have the TV do the Tone Mapping so I am probably paying for features that I will never use. That said, it seems people are irritated by the Sony but do seem to like the Philips 7502 outside of the noisy disc drive. Is that still the overall consensus or are there some other options out there I should consider?

Thanks in advance!
post #2276 of 2414 Old 04-17-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbodude99 View Post
Hi,

I use a Sony UBP-x800 currently, and I like it. It doesn't support Dolby Vision, but seems to do a good job with Netflix and Amazon.

I will be setting up a projector in the next few weeks and looking for some help with choosing a player for that location.

Any comparisons between Panasonic DP-UB820-K and either the x800 or the new x800m2?

The projector doesn't support Dolby Vision, but my TV does... so I might move the ubp-x800 to the projector, and then get a player that auto-recognizes Dolby Vision and HDR. The Sony x700 doesn't seem to do that.

Thanks,
If you have a Sony TV, your choices are the Sony x700 (manual DV switching), Sony x800M2 (rumored to also require manual DV switching) or ante up the additional bucks for the Panasonic. Any other DV capable player will not support the Sony TV version of DV

If you have a non Sony TV, the options expand to include the Philips 7302/7502 or the LG UBK90. I'd recommend the Philips as it does auto frame rate, which the LG doesn't. The Philips is kind of noisy though, and personally I think its a bit slow with navigation/load times.
post #2277 of 2414 Old 04-17-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob R. View Post
Looking for a UHD Player

Needs to have
HDR 10+
Dolby Vision

Don't care about streaming, music, or file support.

Honestly I would probably just get an Xbox One X if not for the lack of Dolby Vision support.

I was looking at the Panasonic DP-UB820, but I will likely have the TV do the Tone Mapping so I am probably paying for features that I will never use. That said, it seems people are irritated by the Sony but do seem to like the Philips 7502 outside of the noisy disc drive. Is that still the overall consensus or are there some other options out there I should consider?

Thanks in advance!
The Philips doesn't do HDR10+. The Panny is the only UHD player that meets all of your criteria, as far as I know.
post #2278 of 2414 Old 04-17-2019, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
The Philips doesn't do HDR10+. The Panny is the only UHD player that meets all of your criteria, as far as I know.

Darn! Well good thing I asked. Thanks for the response.
post #2279 of 2414 Old 04-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbodude99 View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
I wouldn't use anything other than the UB820 (or it's big brother the UB9000) with a projector. Tone mapping is the only straightforward way to do HDR justice on a projector and the Panasonics are the only game in town.
post #2280 of 2414 Old 04-18-2019, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 197
The middle class Sony and Panasonics are very well built and nice for the price.

You get alot of functions and specs that you needed to pay three times more in the bluray era...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player , blu ray , Blu Ray Players , dvd , hdcp upgrade compliance , hdr , hdr player , upscale 4k , upscaling , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page