Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18171Likes

post #2281 of 2397 Old 04-18-2019, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Need help with a budget pick

Hey everyone, completely new to the 4K player scene. Actually new to 4K in general. I have an 2018 Samsung NU8000 which I believe has HDR10+. It's my understanding that to get the best picture, I'd want a player that supports that format? I know there aren't much Blu ray disc out there released with HDR10+ but I'm hoping eventually.

Up until recently, I've read that the Sony's X800 and X700's were solid. I was leaning toward the X700 personally because it was cheaper. Now with this whole formatting war, I'm not sure if the Sony is a good choice for me?

What's a good budget pick, bang for buck. Honestly I'd love to spend less than $150-$200. I even considered a used XBOX One S because I figured if I was going to spend $200 might as well get a gaming unit out of it right? But that's the thing, I would prefer to pay less than $200.

What other brands/models out there have HDR10+ support? Dolby Vision would be a plus but not a deal breaker since my TV doesn't support it. I personally do not care for any smart apps. However maybe down the line I may get a set that has it. I use my TV's native apps and they work great. Netflix, especially Amazon look amazing in 4K HDR. And in Amazon's case, HDR10+ looks even better (supposedly anyway.. still no logo to confirm it's true HDR10+).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2397 Old 04-18-2019, 09:20 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8902 Post(s)
Liked: 5692
There are no budget HDR10+ players. All the current players with HDR10+ are expensive.

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2283 of 2397 Old 04-19-2019, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
There are no budget HDR10+ players. All the current players with HDR10+ are expensive.
What? Damn. That sucks. In my case, what you do? Should I just bite the bullet and get one without HDR10+ support? If so, what are some decent models that won't break the bank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2284 of 2397 Old 04-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0md0 View Post
Hey everyone, completely new to the 4K player scene. Actually new to 4K in general. I have an 2018 Samsung NU8000 which I believe has HDR10+. It's my understanding that to get the best picture, I'd want a player that supports that format? I know there aren't much Blu ray disc out there released with HDR10+ but I'm hoping eventually.

Up until recently, I've read that the Sony's X800 and X700's were solid. I was leaning toward the X700 personally because it was cheaper. Now with this whole formatting war, I'm not sure if the Sony is a good choice for me?

What's a good budget pick, bang for buck. Honestly I'd love to spend less than $150-$200. I even considered a used XBOX One S because I figured if I was going to spend $200 might as well get a gaming unit out of it right? But that's the thing, I would prefer to pay less than $200.

What other brands/models out there have HDR10+ support? Dolby Vision would be a plus but not a deal breaker since my TV doesn't support it. I personally do not care for any smart apps. However maybe down the line I may get a set that has it. I use my TV's native apps and they work great. Netflix, especially Amazon look amazing in 4K HDR. And in Amazon's case, HDR10+ looks even better (supposedly anyway.. still no logo to confirm it's true HDR10+).
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0md0 View Post
What? Damn. That sucks. In my case, what you do? Should I just bite the bullet and get one without HDR10+ support? If so, what are some decent models that won't break the bank?
Right now your best bet for HDR10+ content is streaming from Amazon Prime Video so if your TV supports via an app then you can defer a decision on the player until the format wars have come and gone. HDR10+ is a creation of Samsung so you can go with one of their players and hope for an update or you can just cheap out and buy a lower end non DV 4K player and then upgrade when (if) HDR10+ becomes more mainstream. The fact that Samsung gave up on manufacturing BD players is not a good sign, though.

Panasonic announced their DP-UB150 and DP-UB450 players will support HDR10+ (and DV for the 450) but its unclear if they will be available in the US. Pricing hasn't been announced, either but one would hope the 450 would cost less that the 820 ($500) and the 150 less than the 450. Time will tell.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #2285 of 2397 Old 04-22-2019, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
NAS and network protocols

Hello,
I store my BD rips on a Synology NAS, and currently use my PC (with Kodi) to watch them. This will no longer be a possibility because there's no convenient way to watch 4k HDR content on PC (at least for now).
Most of the new 4k blu ray players however support streaming files over the network, and since I'll have to buy a 4k blu ray player anyways I think that it'll substitute my decade old PC as the new media player.

Now, my question is: what file sharing protocol do they support? I'm asking about Sony and Panasonic models.

I've searched online and read their operating manuals, but none of them shares this information. It appears that they are compatible with DLNA, but is that it? Will I also be able to use NFS/SMB/UPNP or whatever?
The reason I'm asling this is because NFS would be the best choice for me, and in any case I would like to have **no transcoding at all** done by my NAS: the player should simply receive the file and do everything by itself.

If something is not clear in my question please tell me, English is not my first language.
Thanks for the support!
post #2286 of 2397 Old 04-22-2019, 07:57 AM
UHD Addict

Better to get a streaming player, like a SHield TV, to stream UHD rips.
All the disc players are more limited in their streaming capabilities.

post #2287 of 2397 Old 04-22-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Better to get a streaming player, like a SHield TV, to stream UHD rips.
All the disc players are more limited in their streaming capabilities.
Well, I'll need to buy a 4K BD player anyways, to play the disks so there's not much of a choice there...

As for the Shield: is it be able to play Blu-Ray Raws? Or should I remux my rips?
Also, does it handle 4K HDR mkvs?
post #2288 of 2397 Old 04-22-2019, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
I wouldn't use anything other than the UB820 (or it's big brother the UB9000) with a projector. Tone mapping is the only straightforward way to do HDR justice on a projector and the Panasonics are the only game in town.
Is the tone mapping as needed on something like a Sony X950G or is that an unnecessary feature? I'm not familiar with the feature.
post #2289 of 2397 Old 04-22-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
I wouldn't use anything other than the UB820 (or it's big brother the UB9000) with a projector. Tone mapping is the only straightforward way to do HDR justice on a projector and the Panasonics are the only game in town.
But the question is: is the UB820's tone mapping feature better that the one in the projector (JVC DLA-N7)?
post #2290 of 2397 Old 04-22-2019, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post
Is the tone mapping as needed on something like a Sony X950G or is that an unnecessary feature? I'm not familiar with the feature.
Tone mapping is necessary to to reproduce HDR content on most display devices without losing detail. It maps the wider luminance range of HDR into the smaller luminance range of your display device. The brightness of HDR content can reach as high as 10000 nits and the brightest TVs - including that Sony - can hit "only" about 1000 nits. Projected images are much more dim - typically less than 300 nits. That's why tone mapping is essential for projecting HDR content. It's still useful on LCDs but not as critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSphere00 View Post
But the question is: is the UB820's tone mapping feature better that the one in the projector (JVC DLA-N7)?
That's still up for debate and different users have reported a preference for one vs the other or even a combination of both. My personal preference is currently the UB9000's Basic Luminance Projector setting with the matching RS2000 color profile, but I'm still experimenting with different options.
irishluck73 likes this.
post #2291 of 2397 Old 04-22-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1971
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishluck73 View Post

Not needed for a full HDR capable display like yours. It is needed if you want to map HDR signals to non-capable HDR devices, mostly targeted at projectors or 4K capable displays that are not UHD capable.

It maps the input UHD color range to a smaller color range, attempting to be true while mapping to a less extensive color range. Very useful if you have a projector that is 4K but not UHD.

Reference...

If you have a 4K UHD display that can address the whole color range, it is unneeded, the colors are displayed as sent.
irishluck73 likes this.
post #2292 of 2397 Old 04-22-2019, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Not needed for a full HDR capable display like yours. It is needed if you want to map HDR signals to non-capable HDR devices, mostly targeted at projectors or 4K capable displays that are not UHD capable.

It maps the input UHD color range to a smaller color range, attempting to be true while mapping to a less extensive color range. Very useful if you have a projector that is 4K but not UHD.

Reference...

If you have a 4K UHD display that can address the whole color range, it is unneeded, the colors are displayed as sent.
Very helpful. Thank you!
post #2293 of 2397 Old 04-22-2019, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Looking for the "best fit" for my LG OLED 65 B7

I'm looking for a blu-ray player that best complements my existing equipment (LG OLED 65 B7 and NAD T 758v3 with Dolby Atmos system):

Must haves:
- Excellent video quality, including Dolby Vision support to fully utilize the existing LG TV
- Atmos and DTS:x compatibility with my NAD
- No manual switching of settings depending on the A/V source as the device needs to be family-friendly.
- Relatively quiet, as the listeners will only sit about 2m away.

Nice-to-haves / not required:
- Audiophile capabilities
- Smart app support

I have an X-Box X, which "kind of" works, but does not support DV from Blu-Ray and I "feel" there is room for improvement. However, please let me know if you think otherwise...
post #2294 of 2397 Old 04-23-2019, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Need help deciding between the UBK90 and the more expensive UB820. It will be matching with an LG C9 and SL10Y soundbar of the same family. Any suggestions helpful, cheers!
post #2295 of 2397 Old 04-23-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhack13 View Post
Need help deciding between the UBK90 and the more expensive UB820. It will be matching with an LG C9 and SL10Y soundbar of the same family. Any suggestions helpful, cheers!

The UBK90 will have the disadvantage of needing the frame rate manually set for the content being played. Generally you'll be ok just leaving it at 24Khz but it may need occasional changing. There may be other integrated advantages of staying in the LG family for your system as well. Probably worth the savings IMO unless you have other niche requirements such as hi res audio
post #2296 of 2397 Old 04-24-2019, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Player wars - Sony x700 vs Panasonic UB820

I have a sony x700, is the panasonic 820 better with video quality? im debating whether it is worthwhile to upgrade to 820 from x700. I dont care about audio features in a blu ray player, just the video quality when playing bluray discs and playing files off the usb port of the player.
If i dont plan to use the panasonic 820's hdr tone mapping slider , as i have an oled with dynamic tonemapping, then what advantage does the 820 have over the x700 in video quality? And is DV on panasonic better, manually changing the DV setting on the x700 is a minor annoyance but apart from that is there any difference with DV on the panasonic? With usb port playback, sony x700 can play both mkv and m2ts files with 3d audio (true hd+atmos, dtsx+ master audio), i read that panasonic 820 does not support mkv files with 3d audio, is that still true or has it been fixed (or will be fixed in future) by a firmware update?
post #2297 of 2397 Old 04-24-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
I have a sony x700, is the panasonic 820 better with video quality? im debating whether it is worthwhile to upgrade to 820 from x700. I dont care about audio features in a blu ray player, just the video quality when playing bluray discs and playing files off the usb port of the player.
If i dont plan to use the panasonic 820's hdr tone mapping slider , as i have an oled with dynamic tonemapping, then what advantage does the 820 have over the x700 in video quality? And is DV on panasonic better, manually changing the DV setting on the x700 is a minor annoyance but apart from that is there any difference with DV on the panasonic? With usb port playback, sony x700 can play both mkv and m2ts files with 3d audio (true hd+atmos, dtsx+ master audio), i read that panasonic 820 does not support mkv files with 3d audio, is that still true or has it been fixed (or will be fixed in future) by a firmware update?
I have both and I will say there is a slight difference in PQ with the 820 being the better one but that’s my opinion with my eyes and I don’t use the slider adjustment much if at all. I like the 820 also for the playback info, it’s more detailed and the player automatically detects DV discs instead of goin back and forth with the manual switching on the X700. I basically only use the X700 for streaming VUDU cause it does Atmos thru the App. Otherwise the 820 is my go to player for disc play.
The 700 is way cheaper obviously in price and build quality and lesser features.
If you can live without all that the 700 is fine for what u pay for it. I can’t speak about other formats cause I just do UHD and Blu-ray and some streaming.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #2298 of 2397 Old 04-24-2019, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4tt0 View Post
I'm looking for a blu-ray player that best complements my existing equipment (LG OLED 65 B7 and NAD T 758v3 with Dolby Atmos system):

Must haves:
- Excellent video quality, including Dolby Vision support to fully utilize the existing LG TV
- Atmos and DTS:x compatibility with my NAD
- No manual switching of settings depending on the A/V source as the device needs to be family-friendly.
- Relatively quiet, as the listeners will only sit about 2m away.

Nice-to-haves / not required:
- Audiophile capabilities
- Smart app support

I have an X-Box X, which "kind of" works, but does not support DV from Blu-Ray and I "feel" there is room for improvement. However, please let me know if you think otherwise...

Anybody?
post #2299 of 2397 Old 04-24-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4tt0 View Post
Anybody?
The Panasonic UB820 is the only player under $500 that meets all of your criteria.
m4tt0 likes this.

Last edited by PlanetAVS; 04-24-2019 at 09:14 AM.
post #2300 of 2397 Old 04-28-2019, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
VPN for streaming from UHD player?

Hi all, I'm planning my first UHD home theater setup. I'm planning on starting with a UHD Blu-ray player and using it for discs, files, and online streaming (Netflix, Amazon Prime and/or Apple TV). I prefer to use a VPN for streaming, so I'm wondering if it's possible to run a VPN on any currently available players? A VPN router would be an option, but it would be simpler and cheaper if I could just install/run the VPN directly from the blu-ray drive. So I'm wondering if this is possible on any currently available drives.
post #2301 of 2397 Old 04-28-2019, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for a UHD Player comparable to Oppo UDP-203

Must have dual HDMI for sound/video.

Suggestions? Cheaper the better.

Thanks,
-I3
post #2302 of 2397 Old 04-28-2019, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 176
What are you looking for to be equal to the UDP-203? Do you need SACD/DVD-A? Dolby Vision? Are you scaling a lot of DVD/Blu-Ray to 4k? Do you need HDMI input/processing (nothing else has that)?

Covering the basics (UHD Playback, dual HDMI output), the cheapest solutions will be a Samsung K8500 (can be had cheap used), M9500, or Sony X800. The X800 will also playback SACD/DVD-A and has very solid build quality. The X800M2 will be available in may and also support for Dolby Vision and a few other very minor improvements. The Sony X700 is available now and supports Dolby Vision but not SACD/DVD-A (along with a smaller footprint and less inspiring build quality). Once you get above those in price, you're out of my depth... I'm using UHD players purely as UHD disc transports, so nothing beyond core functionality offers much value to me personally.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #2303 of 2397 Old 04-28-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post
What are you looking for to be equal to the UDP-203? Do you need SACD/DVD-A? Dolby Vision? Are you scaling a lot of DVD/Blu-Ray to 4k? Do you need HDMI input/processing (nothing else has that)?

Covering the basics (UHD Playback, dual HDMI output), the cheapest solutions will be a Samsung K8500 (can be had cheap used), M9500, or Sony X800. The X800 will also playback SACD/DVD-A and has very solid build quality. The X800M2 will be available in may and also support for Dolby Vision and a few other very minor improvements. The Sony X700 is available now and supports Dolby Vision but not SACD/DVD-A (along with a smaller footprint and less inspiring build quality). Once you get above those in price, you're out of my depth... I'm using UHD players purely as UHD disc transports, so nothing beyond core functionality offers much value to me personally.
In equality, I currently have one and am considering selling it. Overall I'm looking for reliability, 2 HDMI out as mentioned, and although my current display (KS8000) doesn't support Dolby Vision, the ability to have it would be nice as an upgrade path. Also, a quick boot up, load time, etc. like the Oppo I currently have would be nice as well.
post #2304 of 2397 Old 04-28-2019, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3eyond View Post
In equality, I currently have one and am considering selling it. Overall I'm looking for reliability, 2 HDMI out as mentioned, and although my current display (KS8000) doesn't support Dolby Vision, the ability to have it would be nice as an upgrade path. Also, a quick boot up, load time, etc. like the Oppo I currently have would be nice as well.
What doesn't the 203 do that you need? Or maybe you're just thinking about selling the 203 because the resale is very profitable?

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #2305 of 2397 Old 04-28-2019, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I don't think anything will equal the total sum of the 203, it just does everything and well including things no-one else does (HDMI Passthrough with Video Processing). Still, if I were sitting on one, I'd flip it in a heartbeat as there are other inexpensive players that can do everything you need.

That said, for the priorities you've outlined I'd say either the Sony X700 (if you can live with the footprint/build and no SACD/DVD-A), X800 (if you can live without Vision), X800M2 (if you want Vision), or if you just want to spend a little more, maybe the Panasonic UB820 (or wait for the UB450) would all do the trick. I can vouch that the Sony has a very quick boot time (with the quick boot feature enabled) and load time, and if you're willing to go used they can be had in the $80-$100 range fairly easily.

BenQ TK800 | Silver Ticket 106" 16:9 1.0 Grey | Marantz SR6011 | B&W P6 | B&W CDMC SE | Sonance .5 THX SUR | MCM In-Ceiling Atmos | Ascendant Avalanche 12" in 6 ft^3 @ 18Hz w/ BASH 500w Plate Amp | Sony X800 | NVidia Shield TV Pro | XBox One 500gb | Nintendo Switch | Harmony Smart Control | SmartThings Hub | Google Home | AT&T Fiber 300 | YouTube TV | Netflix | HBO Now | Spotify
post #2306 of 2397 Old 04-29-2019, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
I don't think anything will equal the total sum of the 203, it just does everything and well including things no-one else does (HDMI Passthrough with Video Processing). Still, if I were sitting on one, I'd flip it in a heartbeat as there are other inexpensive players that can do everything you need.

That said, for the priorities you've outlined I'd say either the Sony X700 (if you can live with the footprint/build and no SACD/DVD-A), X800 (if you can live without Vision), X800M2 (if you want Vision), or if you just want to spend a little more, maybe the Panasonic UB820 (or wait for the UB450) would all do the trick. I can vouch that the Sony has a very quick boot time (with the quick boot feature enabled) and load time, and if you're willing to go used they can be had in the $80-$100 range fairly easily.
The 700 does SACD, just not DVD-A.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #2307 of 2397 Old 04-29-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
What doesn't the 203 do that you need? Or maybe you're just thinking about selling the 203 because the resale is very profitable?
It does everything I need, probably more. Selling it is the exact reason I'm looking for an inexpensive player that will ultimately accomplish the same thing.

Quote:

X700 sounds finds to me.

--

The real question I have to ask myself, in potentially selling the Oppo....is down the road will I miss what I consider to be a collector's item from a long standing king of Disc players......

Hmmm....
post #2308 of 2397 Old 04-29-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The only thing the Oppo's (Or the Cambridge CXUHD) do not do well is that the tone mapping is not right. (and will unfortunately never get corrected per Oppo) But if you don't use that feature in the player, then it does everything else better than anything else available at this time. That's what it boils down to. The market to sell them is quite profitable, but it looks like no other player is going to cover all bases. I currently use a Panasonic 820 for it's great HDR-SDR tone mapping to my JVC X750R projector. But I use a scope screen, and the Panasonic's don't have zoom modes with 21:9 support. The Oppo's do, and so will the Cambridge CXUHD with a soon to be released firmware update. There are other features I don't use on the Oppo/Cambridge platform like being able to play certain files, (I'm an old guy and strictly a disc spinner, at least right now anyway) but lots of others do which is a big draw to these machines. With the push toward streaming that may very kill off physical media in the next 5-10 years, I doubt there will ever be any player that has as many features as the Oppo/Cambridge players do.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #2309 of 2397 Old 04-29-2019, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Upgrade from Samsung UBD-K8500?

Hey All,

I am still running the first ever UHD Blu-ray player, the Samsung UBD-K8500. I bought it at its release and only use it to watch Blu-rays (I don't care about DAC capabilities or streaming/DVD-A/SACD etc). For my needs, the only task should be lossless transmission of the digital data on the disc to my receiver to be decoded.

From the material I have read, it appears that the UBD-K8500 does not molest the data and faithfully reproduces whats on the disc. Am I missing anything by sticking with my 3 year old player? Would there be any audio or visual benefit by upgrading to the Panasonic UB9000 or Pioneer UDP-LX500?

I appreciate your insight,

Tony
post #2310 of 2397 Old 04-30-2019, 12:42 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
Hey All,

I am still running the first ever UHD Blu-ray player, the Samsung UBD-K8500. I bought it at its release and only use it to watch Blu-rays (I don't care about DAC capabilities or streaming/DVD-A/SACD etc). For my needs, the only task should be lossless transmission of the digital data on the disc to my receiver to be decoded.

From the material I have read, it appears that the UBD-K8500 does not molest the data and faithfully reproduces whats on the disc. Am I missing anything by sticking with my 3 year old player? Would there be any audio or visual benefit by upgrading to the Panasonic UB9000 or Pioneer UDP-LX500?

I appreciate your insight,

Tony
The original K8500 did have undefeatable noise reduction. But I sold my launch K8500 after using it for 13 or 14 months. So maybe they finally fixed the undefeatable noise reduction?

I just know it was a noticeable difference going to a UHD BD player that did not mess with the video like the K8500 does(or did)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player , blu ray , Blu Ray Players , dvd , hdcp upgrade compliance , hdr , hdr player , upscale 4k , upscaling , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page