Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18227Likes

post #2551 of 2557 Old 08-16-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porknz View Post
I have an Epson 5050UB arriving today. It's my first projector and my first venture into 4k. I need to purchase a media player as such. I'm open to suggestions, but have so far narrowed my search down to these two devices. Thanks for any opinions on which would be a better match for my new projector, the x800m2 or the ub820.
Will you be using it for media streaming? I know that in the USA the UBP-X700 has a large number of streaming apps but I'm not sure what the X800m2 or the UB820 offers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2557 Old 08-16-2019, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'd definitely like to use it for prime and netflix. Not sure how my internet will handle streaming 4k, but at least I'd plan to stream non-4k and see what up scaling can do.
post #2553 of 2557 Old 08-16-2019, 10:56 AM

When I've looked for the x700, I've had a lot of trouble finding it. EDIT : I had a lot of trouble finding it in reviews, but maybe I wasn't regional. I swear I even saw places where it was updated to a new model or discontinued all together, but it looks like it is available at my typical retailers. My bad.

Last edited by Porknz; 08-16-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2554 of 2557 Old 08-16-2019, 11:07 AM

In one comparison side by side it looks like big upgrades for the higher cost are HDR 10+. Not sure if that matters with my projector or not. Same goes for something called HLG? Dolby Vision too, but maybe that is just audio that won't matter on my old receiver anyway. Big upgrade I have seen is that the ub820 offers something that makes HDR look even better. Not sure what among this applies to my new projector and what does not.
post #2555 of 2557 Old 08-16-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
When I've looked for the x700, I've had a lot of trouble finding it. EDIT : I had a lot of trouble finding it in reviews, but maybe I wasn't regional. I swear I even saw places where it was updated to a new model or discontinued all together, but it looks like it is available at my typical retailers. My bad.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...lu-ray-player/

At the bottom of the article they have links to other reviews.

and another:

https://www.avforums.com/review/sony...0-review.14942

When I looked at getting a 4K BD player, it was tough to find one with lots of streaming apps.
post #2556 of 2557 Old 08-16-2019, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
In one comparison side by side it looks like big upgrades for the higher cost are HDR 10+. Not sure if that matters with my projector or not. Same goes for something called HLG? Dolby Vision too, but maybe that is just audio that won't matter on my old receiver anyway. Big upgrade I have seen is that the ub820 offers something that makes HDR look even better. Not sure what among this applies to my new projector and what does not.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...at-is-hlg-hdr/

Here's a little information about HLG. Really will only matter when and if the networks start broadcasting in 4K. It is HDR for a love broadcast signal.

I have the panny 820 paired with my Epson 6050 and I am very pleased with the combination. I do use the HDR optimizer on the panny . If a 4k disc contains metadata, about how many nits the film was originally mastered in, the optimizer can take that data and make the image on your display more pleasing. It does so by dynamically adjusting the nits to more closely match the nits for which your display is capable. Let's say a movie was mastered at 4000 nits but your display is only capable of 500 nits (typically 300 to 500 nits for a projector) the optimizer adjusts the brightness of the movie so your still get shadow detail while preserving specular highlights.

The Epson 5050/6050projector does have the HDR SLIDER but it is not adjusting the picture based upon any metadata. You will have to manually adjust the HDR based upon your perception of what looks pleasing to your eyes. The optimizer on the 820 takes the movie by movie adjustments you have to make on the 5050 out of the equation, as long as the movie contains metadata. I typically do not have to adjust my HDR slider on the projector for any movies that have metadata due to the optimizer on the 820. It has made my projector much more set it and forget for 4K HDR Movies.

The 820 is very limited for streaming but looks and sounds great. It supports Amazon Prime and Netflix. No support for VUDU. Not much else for streaming.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #2557 of 2557 Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 64
What can replace the Oppo for file playback?

So I actually need the Panny ub9000 to pair with my projector. If I sold my region modded 203 I could get one easy. The only thing it can’t do that the Oppo can is all the file playback. I know the Panny can’t handle 4K HDR video files(no audio).

What could replace the Oppo, short of an HTPC?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player , blu ray , Blu Ray Players , dvd , hdcp upgrade compliance , hdr , hdr player , upscale 4k , upscaling , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page