Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18270Likes

post #241 of 2706 Old 03-12-2017, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I have a Sony 55X930D, 2017 Nvidia Shield TV for 4k streaming, a Sony BDP-S6500. I am impressed with the 4k upscaling on my tv for blurays. I'm noticing that my local Best Buy is getting rid of all physical media and physical media players. Eventually I'll be going all digital by this summer. My question is should I buy or not to buy a 4k Ultra bluray player?
As I understand it, streaming involves compression for the most part. The best Netflix in HD can't compare to Blu Ray. Same should be true for 4k and HDR.

If you plan on hosting your media, the file sizes are huge!!! Unless you compress but again...loss of detail.

I want a DV capable Blue Ray player and plan to get a disc subscription. I understand discs are all HDR10 at the moment but some big names have announced DV media coming soon.

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schubeedoobee View Post
I think my Oppo 93 is beginning to loose it touch a bit, some discs are beginning to freeze and I think it might be time to get a new unit anyway. I only use a 1080 plasma, can I still use a Oppo 203 even though my current Pioneer Elite SC85 and Samsung 64" Plasma are older HDMI format?

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 2706 Old 03-13-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What are the reasons to choose Oppo UDP 203 over Sony UBP-x800?

So far it look like Sony has less problems, has Netflix and nearly half the price of Oppo. I don't need analog outputs or HDMI input. The player will be connected to Sony VPL-VW600ES and Denon A1HD-CI (didn't go through the HW/SW upgrade yet) so normally performing dual outputs are the must.
Is there any reason to choose Oppo over Sony?

Thanks,
Viktor

Last edited by Victor; 03-13-2017 at 06:13 PM.
post #243 of 2706 Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
So far it look like Sony has less problems, has Netflix and nearly half the price of Oppo. I don't need analog outputs or HDMI input. The player will be connected to Sony VPL-VW600ES and Denon A1HD-CI (didn't go through the HW/SW upgrade yet) so normally performing dual outputs are the must.
Is there any reason to choose Oppo over Sony?

Thanks,
Viktor
A moderator will probably be merging your question into this thread

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...er-thread.html

Since the sony just came out, you might find a couple members who have had both....but not many...so your question is about 6 months too early for a consensus opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 2706 Old 03-13-2017, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Other than the Oppo name,,none that I can think of. My UHD BD collection is nearing 100 titles and I'm currently considering another player. The Samsung has been rock solid for a year but I really want a multi format player. I had planned on picking up a 203 but I'm certainly glad I didn't. That thing has the plague (sorry 203 owners, just my opinion). I'll give it a month or so and see if the Sony can stay problem free, if so, It will be my next purchase.

Marantz SR6010 Onkyo 636 Onkyo NR801
Epson 3700 Sammy 55JS7000 Sammy K8500 Toshiba HD DVD Sony UBP-X800
Fusion F15's (LCR) Fusion 8's (SS) -JBL Studio Monitor 4406 - SVS SB1000 >BIC F12 Sub
TruAudio Revolve 8" - atmos
post #245 of 2706 Old 03-13-2017, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Which 2017 Ultra HD Blu-ray player has confirmed Dolby Vision support?

I have been trying to find this answer but I have only been able to find that the new LG player will have DV via an update in the next few months but other then that I can't find specifics. I think the Sony and Samsung don't support it but not sure if they also have announced future updates?

I am basically trying to find a player that has 4k Netflix, Dolby Atmos/DTS-X, 3D, DV, and MKV playback. That would cover 99% of what I have or will be able to watch (have an OLED by LG). Anyone know which players have confirmed support for all these? Or does anyone know of a good link that compares everything? I see the threads for each player but they have tons of post and I sadly don't have time to go through them all page by page.

Thanks!

Edit - sorry forgot to add two HDMI's to ensure compatibility with my receiver
post #246 of 2706 Old 03-14-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 2134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumate View Post
I have been trying to find this answer but I have only been able to find that the new LG player will have DV via an update in the next few months but other then that I can't find specifics. I think the Sony and Samsung don't support it but not sure if they also have announced future updates?

I am basically trying to find a player that has 4k Netflix, Dolby Atmos/DTS-X, 3D, DV, and MKV playback. That would cover 99% of what I have or will be able to watch (have an OLED by LG). Anyone know which players have confirmed support for all these? Or does anyone know of a good link that compares everything? I see the threads for each player but they have tons of post and I sadly don't have time to go through them all page by page.

Thanks!

Edit - sorry forgot to add two HDMI's to ensure compatibility with my receiver
There are only 3 players that have announced Dolby Vision support. And there are no pages comparing them because only one is available right now. The Oppo UDP-203, which is out now, has everything but streaming. The LG UP970 should have everything you want. It will be out in a few weeks. And then the Philips BDP7502 might have everything. Not sure though because they haven't released any official specs, only what was announced at CES. And no firm release date either.
post #247 of 2706 Old 03-14-2017, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's been a painfully slow wait for DV players. Looks like the LG will be available in April. I need DV and Amazon app since I'm getting the Vizio P75 this week.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
post #248 of 2706 Old 03-15-2017, 09:41 AM
z3d

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi there,
I was looking for some comparisons about MadVR and some good BD players around and I'd like to receive some advices about that.

What interest me most is to know if there is any difference picture-quality wise for DVD and Bluray playback. I'm not interested in HDR 4k comparisons since my TV can't do that.

My system is the following:

TV: Panasonic ST50 55"
Source: htpc (cpu intel i7 2600k, gpu nvidia GTX680, 8gb ram)

MPC-HC 1.6.8
MadVR 0.86.6
MadVR settings:
Image upscaling -> Jinc 3 taps + anti ringing filter
Chroma upscaling -> Jinc 3 taps + anti ringing filter
Image downscaling -> Catmull-Rom + anti ringing filter + scale in linear light

Some time ago I compared the picture quality of my setup vs a playstation3 directly connected to the TV via HDMI, playing the same Bluray.
I had 2 copy of it so it was really easy to do back and forth for me.
I then realised how a ps3 couldn't hold a candle to my htpc+madVR processings and that the only solution would be to buy a good quality table bluray player able to do some video processings.

Now I'd really like to remove the htpc from the living room and I'd like to replace it with a table bluray player, but without having to worsen the picture quality.
Is it possible?

I am much interested in the Sony UHP-H1 since the price is decent and I can play my music CD directly from it.
Do you think this kind of player could be able to replicate the kind of picture quality that my htpc does and so replace it?
Or even something lower-grade like a Sony BDP-S6700 could do that?
Or, on the contrary, only a high-end Oppo player could be up to the task?

Thank you, have a good day.
Regards,
post #249 of 2706 Old 03-16-2017, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is There a 4k UHD Blu-ray Player Tha...

Hello. I currently have the NVIDIA Shield and I really like it as a streamer... I do not game on it. I tried the Roku Premier + (no real complaints.. Shield is faster with better video and sound controls) and the XBOX One S (Apps were getting better, but the blu-ray app was not good... slow and clunky and didn't look as good for blu-rays as stand alone player). So, before my return window runs out on the Shield, is there a 4K blu-ray player that has; Netflix, Amazon, Vudu (could live without this for a short while) and HBO Now? I search and search and just can't find a definitive answer other than XBOX One S. Thanks.
post #250 of 2706 Old 03-19-2017, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reading through the Sony UBP-X800 owner's thread, it sounds like people who've bought it after having the Samsung K8500 all are seeing improved picture quality with the Sony. Of course, I always wonder if there's some placebo effect there, but I haven't seen anyone who's seen both say they don't see an improvement with the Sony. I'd been thinking I'd buy the K8500 on closeout, which right now is about $100 less than the Sony. But even with that price difference, the reviews thus far of the Sony have me thinking I should go Sony instead (either now or wait for it to drop in price a bit). Anyone have a counter argument to say I should just pick up the K8500 at the good price we're seeing now?
post #251 of 2706 Old 03-23-2017, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Help me decide between Oppo 203 or Xbox One S ...

I already have an Oppo BDP-93 and a standard Xbox One.

I am planning to get a 4K TV soon...

I was wondering if I should sell my Oppo and buy the new one (203) and keep my standard Xbox One...
Or should I keep my Oppo-93 and sell my Xbox One and get the S version?

I need an Oppo since I have many SACDs and DVD-Audios.

Will I get any advantages getting a 203 for 4k over an Xbox One S for picture quality?
Also for streaming is the 203 better than the Xbox or the 93 ?

Thanks for any inputs.
wilbur_the_goose likes this.
post #252 of 2706 Old 03-23-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
This is where you want to post your question

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...er-thread.html
post #253 of 2706 Old 03-23-2017, 10:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapidlittle View Post
Also for streaming is the 203 better than the Xbox or the 93 ?
The 203 has no streaming apps, if you mean things like Netflix and Vudu.

If you mean local network access the 203 has SMB and NFS support in addition to DLNA, which is all the 93 has.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #254 of 2706 Old 03-23-2017, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The 203 has no streaming apps, if you mean things like Netflix and Vudu.

If you mean local network access the 203 has SMB and NFS support in addition to DLNA, which is all the 93 has.

-Bill
Thanks, I was meaning local streaming.
post #255 of 2706 Old 03-24-2017, 06:36 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Sony UBP-X800 vs Panasonic DMP-900

Which one is best
post #256 of 2706 Old 03-25-2017, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic teletubby View Post
Other than the Oppo name,,none that I can think of. My UHD BD collection is nearing 100 titles and I'm currently considering another player. The Samsung has been rock solid for a year but I really want a multi format player. I had planned on picking up a 203 but I'm certainly glad I didn't. That thing has the plague (sorry 203 owners, just my opinion). I'll give it a month or so and see if the Sony can stay problem free, if so, It will be my next purchase.
Why not the panasonic ub900? Sony or bust?
post #257 of 2706 Old 03-25-2017, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Trying to figure out what I should do for a player.

Sony X800 - Price is great and seems to handle tons of codecs. People seemed pleased with disc playback and image quality. Great chassis build quality. The downside is that I want something that supports DV, as I don't want to have to purchase another player in the immediate future to get that feature and Sony has neglected to officially confirm or deny if an update will happen. While most people seem extremely happy with Sony players, my S5500 Blu-ray player has been problematic and slow, so I've not been super pleased with my unit.

Panasonic UB900/400 - I've owned a couple Panasonic BR players in the past and been extremely happy with them. It sounds like their UHD players will continue the tradition of excellence I observed in the past. That said, the UB900 is too expensive, so the UB400 is more what I'd consider. Seeing as how they supposedly share the same silicon, image quality should be top tier on the UB400, but it has been reported that it's unable to support DV. Again, I don't want to buy now to turn around and re-purchase a DV capable unit in the very near future. So no DV is kind of a deal breaker, otherwise this is probably the unit I would want the most.

Oppo 203 - Alright! Great picture quality and future DV support. Just what I want, right? Well, it seems like there are tons of reports of glitchy units, which has me worried. On top of that, it's one of the more expensive units (I could buy a different, less problematic non-DV unit now and probably get a DV unit in the future both for about the same price as just the Oppo). Are these glitches that Oppo's famous updates can fix? Possibly. But it's tough convincing myself to drop serious cash on something that may or may not work reliably.

X-Box One S - I'm not a gamer, but this is a pretty low priced unit that can do a lot of other things. With the newly added support for DTS:X/Atmos, this does just about everything except DV. While nothing has been confirmed, Dolby's announcement that DV can be implemented on the software side in consoles certainly means that the XBoneS is capable of it. But only if MS decides to add it (they certainly dragged their feet on DTS:X/Atmos). Unfortunately, the XBoneS isn't the best of UHD players, from what I can gather, with lots of playback issues reported.

Samsung M9500 - No thanks. Not a fan of Samsung's players. Their current units seems to have lots of issues, but perhaps this one will have sorted a lot of the problems out. But lack of DV kills this for consideration.

LG UDP970 - Hits a good price point, comes out relatively soon, and supports DV. I'm considering this one (it should go nicely with my LG OLED), but I know that LG has been often criticized for their motion processing and handling, so I wonder if that will be an issue with the player. We won't really know until it comes out next month.

Philips BDP7502 - People seem to be pretty happy with the current gen Philips, but I'm a little apprehensive about the brand. This one will support DV, hits the price point I'm looking at, and -should it be as good as their current UHD player- will play back discs with minimal issues. Again, it's not out yet, but might be worth holding out for.

Any thoughts?
post #258 of 2706 Old 03-26-2017, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba359 View Post
Trying to figure out what I should do for a player.

Sony X800 - Price is great and seems to handle tons of codecs. People seemed pleased with disc playback and image quality. Great chassis build quality. The downside is that I want something that supports DV, as I don't want to have to purchase another player in the immediate future to get that feature and Sony has neglected to officially confirm or deny if an update will happen. While most people seem extremely happy with Sony players, my S5500 Blu-ray player has been problematic and slow, so I've not been super pleased with my unit.

Panasonic UB900/400 - I've owned a couple Panasonic BR players in the past and been extremely happy with them. It sounds like their UHD players will continue the tradition of excellence I observed in the past. That said, the UB900 is too expensive, so the UB400 is more what I'd consider. Seeing as how they supposedly share the same silicon, image quality should be top tier on the UB400, but it has been reported that it's unable to support DV. Again, I don't want to buy now to turn around and re-purchase a DV capable unit in the very near future. So no DV is kind of a deal breaker, otherwise this is probably the unit I would want the most.

Oppo 203 - Alright! Great picture quality and future DV support. Just what I want, right? Well, it seems like there are tons of reports of glitchy units, which has me worried. On top of that, it's one of the more expensive units (I could buy a different, less problematic non-DV unit now and probably get a DV unit in the future both for about the same price as just the Oppo). Are these glitches that Oppo's famous updates can fix? Possibly. But it's tough convincing myself to drop serious cash on something that may or may not work reliably.

X-Box One S - I'm not a gamer, but this is a pretty low priced unit that can do a lot of other things. With the newly added support for DTS:X/Atmos, this does just about everything except DV. While nothing has been confirmed, Dolby's announcement that DV can be implemented on the software side in consoles certainly means that the XBoneS is capable of it. But only if MS decides to add it (they certainly dragged their feet on DTS:X/Atmos). Unfortunately, the XBoneS isn't the best of UHD players, from what I can gather, with lots of playback issues reported.

Samsung M9500 - No thanks. Not a fan of Samsung's players. Their current units seems to have lots of issues, but perhaps this one will have sorted a lot of the problems out. But lack of DV kills this for consideration.

LG UDP970 - Hits a good price point, comes out relatively soon, and supports DV. I'm considering this one (it should go nicely with my LG OLED), but I know that LG has been often criticized for their motion processing and handling, so I wonder if that will be an issue with the player. We won't really know until it comes out next month.

Philips BDP7502 - People seem to be pretty happy with the current gen Philips, but I'm a little apprehensive about the brand. This one will support DV, hits the price point I'm looking at, and -should it be as good as their current UHD player- will play back discs with minimal issues. Again, it's not out yet, but might be worth holding out for.

Any thoughts?
I have owned the Xbox one s and x800 and now have the 203. Overall I was not happy with the one s. It was very loud due to the large fan on top and did not have any PQ options. It's the most barebones player out. The x800 was an amazing player, it had a lot of settings where I could somewhat tune the picture to what I liked but eventually returned it for the 203. The 203 has a lot more promise and longevity in terms of features imo. DV and strip meta data are the two that stand out the most. Knowing oppo will update the player and continue to improve strip meta data is great. They'll probably add even more features throughout the years. When it came to spending $250 more, I asked myself if I wanted to spend another $300 in a year or two knowing the x800 would be obsolete. I'd rather have entire package right away rather than upgrade the player in a year.
post #259 of 2706 Old 03-26-2017, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Which one is best
The Panasonic player is better in terms of PQ. Better chroma upscaler.
post #260 of 2706 Old 03-28-2017, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Im wondering should I get an Oppo 203 or wait for April for the Oppo 205 ?
post #261 of 2706 Old 03-28-2017, 07:00 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 4546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardguy View Post
Im wondering should I get an Oppo 203 or wait for April for the Oppo 205 ?
Unless you have a large investment in analog audio gear, the 205 is probably not worth the expense for you.

-Bill
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #262 of 2706 Old 03-28-2017, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Unless you have a large investment in analog audio gear, the 205 is probably not worth the expense for you.

-Bill
I do have a Nice JVC Turntable, and my collection of albums from the 80's but thats about it.
post #263 of 2706 Old 03-30-2017, 02:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 1079
I'm trying to find a suitable UHD player, my requirements are pretty simple:

DV support for future proofing
Need to handle 1080p and HDR/WCG down conversion since a 4K TV is a few years away.
Need to have modchip/hack for multi zone BD's.

The only one that I know of that will do all three is the OPPO 203, any other contenders?

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #264 of 2706 Old 04-02-2017, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Xbox One S - is there a better upgrade ?

I have thx Xbox one S - for 300 bucks can I do better4 k player wise ?

Thx
post #265 of 2706 Old 04-02-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post

Thx
And a question more to his question. is there a REAL difference between Xbox One S and one of those other UHD players?
MeanMachine likes this.
post #266 of 2706 Old 04-03-2017, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMachine View Post

Thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 256k View Post
And a question more to his question. is there a REAL difference between Xbox One S and one of those other UHD players?
It depends on your needs and wants. I have an older receiver that I don't plan on upgrading soon, which cannot pass an HDMI 2.0a signal for HDR. Yet I prefer lossless audio. So the Xbox One S is not an option for me. I prefer a standalone player with two HDMI outputs, video to my display and audio to my receiver. Most of the UHD players out now or coming soon have that.

Some people have DVD Audio and SACD collections that can be played by the Sony X800 for $300.

Some people have a Dolby Vision display and want DV support. The new LG UP970 will support DV for $300 (supposedly shipping this week or next). The Philips BDP7502 will also have DV for $300, but no date on that one yet. And it's theoretically possible the Xbox could support DV someday, but there have been no announcements or rumors.
MeanMachine likes this.
post #267 of 2706 Old 04-03-2017, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
It depends on your needs and wants. I have an older receiver that I don't plan on upgrading soon, which cannot pass an HDMI 2.0a signal for HDR. Yet I prefer lossless audio. So the Xbox One S is not an option for me. I prefer a standalone player with two HDMI outputs, video to my display and audio to my receiver. Most of the UHD players out now or coming soon have that.

Some people have DVD Audio and SACD collections that can be played by the Sony X800 for $300.

Some people have a Dolby Vision display and want DV support. The new LG UP970 will support DV for $300 (supposedly shipping this week or next). The Philips BDP7502 will also have DV for $300, but no date on that one yet. And it's theoretically possible the Xbox could support DV someday, but there have been no announcements or rumors.
So the difference is just that? sound? No better picture or something like that?
post #268 of 2706 Old 04-03-2017, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I have started the search for a UHD player and have read a good amount of this thread but figured I'd just come right out and ask.

Looking to replace an Oppo 83 mostly because studios are not putting immersive Dolby Atmos and DTS:X mixes on Blu-Ray anymore. I do not have a 4K display and probably won't for a while. I do, however, have a Denon 4200 which is HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 compatible and does all of the immersive formats. Aps don't really mean anything to me as I really only use Netflix and Pandora and my cable box and PS3 support those. I just want to be able to play UHD discs and have them down converted to 1080p and still listen to the immersive soundtrack and, ideally, be able to do it the way my Oppo 83 is connected to my Denon now...with a single HDMI cable.

I still don't understand some of the things I've read here (metadata strip, converting HDR to SDR, yada yada yada) so I don't really know what features I'm looking for. Seems like the Oppo 203 was supposed to be the most universal player and people were talking about it being able to do exactly what I'm talking about but it also seems to be plagued with a lot of problems. If I'm spending $600 for a player, I want it to work reasonably well and care free (or any player for that matter). The new Sony looks intriguing but I haven't read a whole lot about it. I really don't like the look of the curved Samsung player and I really want a front display on the player which takes it and the Philips out of the running. The Panasonic 900 looks nice and I've had Panasonic players before and loved them but it looks like it is way expensive for what it is and doesn't do some of the things that the Oppo does.

What is the player that I'm looking for?
post #269 of 2706 Old 04-04-2017, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loknload View Post
I have started the search for a UHD player and have read a good amount of this thread but figured I'd just come right out and ask.

Looking to replace an Oppo 83 mostly because studios are not putting immersive Dolby Atmos and DTS:X mixes on Blu-Ray anymore. I do not have a 4K display and probably won't for a while. I do, however, have a Denon 4200 which is HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 compatible and does all of the immersive formats. Aps don't really mean anything to me as I really only use Netflix and Pandora and my cable box and PS3 support those. I just want to be able to play UHD discs and have them down converted to 1080p and still listen to the immersive soundtrack and, ideally, be able to do it the way my Oppo 83 is connected to my Denon now...with a single HDMI cable.

I still don't understand some of the things I've read here (metadata strip, converting HDR to SDR, yada yada yada) so I don't really know what features I'm looking for. Seems like the Oppo 203 was supposed to be the most universal player and people were talking about it being able to do exactly what I'm talking about but it also seems to be plagued with a lot of problems. If I'm spending $600 for a player, I want it to work reasonably well and care free (or any player for that matter). The new Sony looks intriguing but I haven't read a whole lot about it. I really don't like the look of the curved Samsung player and I really want a front display on the player which takes it and the Philips out of the running. The Panasonic 900 looks nice and I've had Panasonic players before and loved them but it looks like it is way expensive for what it is and doesn't do some of the things that the Oppo does.

What is the player that I'm looking for?
I believe all UHD players must output a 1080p SDR signal when they are attached to a display without HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. So that doesn't need to be a factor in your decision. But almost all UHD blu-rays have HDR and Rec.2020 only encodes on the disc, so the downconversion to your SDR Rec.709 display can vary by the quality of the player. I have seen a few people comment on certain players attached to 4k SDR displays, but can't recall if any are better or worse. I believe most were satisfied. And the fancy downconversion options that the Oppo 203 and Panasonic 900 have are only applied to those with 4k SDR displays that can accept an HDR signal but don't display it properly, or projectors that can do full color but not HDR. So your options are pretty open. Just browse the individual threads. It seems that a lot of people are satisfied with the Sony 800, although it's still fairly new. And the Panasonic 900 seems to get a lot of good reviews too, but I agree about the price.
post #270 of 2706 Old 04-04-2017, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
4k UHD player vs TV at upscaling

Hey Guys,

I have a Samsung KS8000 tv that does a fair job of upscaling regular blu-rays to 4k on my standard player. If I were to buy a 4k uhd player, would I notice any discernible difference in picture quality on my standard blu-rays?

Also, would a top of the line Oppo 4k player give me better picture quality than the very affordable Xbox One S on 4k discs?

Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player , blu ray , Blu Ray Players , dvd , hdcp upgrade compliance , hdr , hdr player , upscale 4k , upscaling , xbox one s

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page