Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18289Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2731 of 2774 Old 11-24-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,418
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
I recently tried out a few Panasonic UB820's and returned them all back to www.amazon.com due to several issues the units have. The Panasonic UB420 and the Sony X800M2 are $10 apart at Best Buy. I still can't decide which player to get. My Sony 55X930D does not have Dolby Vision. There are mixed reviews on the X800M2 reliability, functionality, and its better then past models. For the Panasonic UB420 there are a several users that complain about the loud fan and loud disc spinning noise. I want to spend under $200 before tax.
I'd get the Sony X700. It's excellent other than the manual DV switching (which you don't need at least at this time)
PlanetAVS is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2732 of 2774 Old 11-25-2019, 01:55 PM
Member
 
fastman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 184
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is the Samsung M9500 worth $49.97, no taxes bnib for the features it brings?
fastman is offline  
post #2733 of 2774 Old 11-25-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PhilipsPhanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rockland County, NY
Posts: 3,812
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Does It Pay For Me To Get A 4K Player ?

Hey guys....I know the score on these type of questions, but with upscaling and the latest technologies, I figured the answer might have changed from a few years ago.

My Situation: I have a 60" Samsung 5300 plasma (the "dumb" cousin of the 8500), one of the last ones sold back in 2015. I'm using a very basic 2009 Sony Blu-Ray player (BDP-N460). I watch from about 9-10 feet.

I have been buying 4K movie releases the last year or so, figuring if I ever got both a 4K TV and a 4K player, it paid to pay an extra $2-$3 over Blu-Ray packages for it.

Since my Blu-Ray player is 10 years old, I can justify getting a new 4K player....IF it promises some improvement in the picture (4K, HDR, whatever).

Does it ? If I can upgrade for a reasonable price to get improved PQ, I'm willing to do it. But not if I have to pay like $500 or so for a player.

And if you have a specific 4K player ideal for my situation (no idea when I might get a 4K TV, I'm between jobs right now), please feel free to let me know the model number.
PhilipsPhanatic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2734 of 2774 Old 11-25-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ti-triodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Damfino
Posts: 3,188
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Probably better to ask in this thread.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...tart-here.html
ti-triodes is offline  
post #2735 of 2774 Old 11-25-2019, 04:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Hey guys....I know the score on these type of questions, but with upscaling and the latest technologies, I figured the answer might have changed from a few years ago.

My Situation: I have a 60" Samsung 5300 plasma (the "dumb" cousin of the 8500), one of the last ones sold back in 2015. I'm using a very basic 2009 Sony Blu-Ray player (BDP-N460). I watch from about 9-10 feet.

I have been buying 4K movie releases the last year or so, figuring if I ever got both a 4K TV and a 4K player, it paid to pay an extra $2-$3 over Blu-Ray packages for it.

Since my Blu-Ray player is 10 years old, I can justify getting a new 4K player....IF it promises some improvement in the picture (4K, HDR, whatever).

Does it ? If I can upgrade for a reasonable price to get improved PQ, I'm willing to do it. But not if I have to pay like $500 or so for a player.

And if you have a specific 4K player ideal for my situation (no idea when I might get a 4K TV, I'm between jobs right now), please feel free to let me know the model number.
Here’s the thing. I got the first Samsung UHD player. It’s a PITA POS. So much so I really want the Panasonic DP-UB820 which today went down a hundred on Amazon for Black Friday week. But here’s the real thing. On my 82” Samsung I really don’t notice much of a difference in picture quality on a 4K disk vs an upscaled blue ray. But then there’s the thing that made me go to 4K in the first place: the more advanced audio tracks on the disks. I would personally never buy a machine that’s one format behind. But I congratulate you on buying the 4K disk pack. If they had 8K disk packs now I would buy those to be ready for the future.
DavAbq is online now  
post #2736 of 2774 Old 11-25-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,418
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastman View Post
Is the Samsung M9500 worth $49.97, no taxes bnib for the features it brings?
Yes if you're looking for bang for your buck and/or don't care about Dolby Vision.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #2737 of 2774 Old 11-25-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,418
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Hey guys....I know the score on these type of questions, but with upscaling and the latest technologies, I figured the answer might have changed from a few years ago.

My Situation: I have a 60" Samsung 5300 plasma (the "dumb" cousin of the 8500), one of the last ones sold back in 2015. I'm using a very basic 2009 Sony Blu-Ray player (BDP-N460). I watch from about 9-10 feet.

I have been buying 4K movie releases the last year or so, figuring if I ever got both a 4K TV and a 4K player, it paid to pay an extra $2-$3 over Blu-Ray packages for it.

Since my Blu-Ray player is 10 years old, I can justify getting a new 4K player....IF it promises some improvement in the picture (4K, HDR, whatever).

Does it ? If I can upgrade for a reasonable price to get improved PQ, I'm willing to do it. But not if I have to pay like $500 or so for a player.

And if you have a specific 4K player ideal for my situation (no idea when I might get a 4K TV, I'm between jobs right now), please feel free to let me know the model number.
You won't get better picture quality, I wouldn't bother unless you want to take advantage of Black Friday pricing or you're in a position to take advantage of ATMOS

The Sony X700 is on sale now for and would be your best bet.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #2738 of 2774 Old 11-25-2019, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
kincade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
I haven't really seen a big difference with the HDR optimizer on my Sony 900F. It might make a bigger impact on lower level HDR displays and projectors though. The choices are limited for UHD players under $500 unfortunately.

I'd say go with the Sony, its not worth the price premium for the HDR optimizer and the auto DV switching (which only matters if you go with a DV capable screen/display). Plus you'll have high res audio support.

Very much appreciate the input. The Epson projector doesn't support DV as far as I can tell, so that isn't a deal breaker. I have read the optimizer has a more pronounced difference with a projector than it does a display, but no way to verify that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I would go for the Panasonic since the HD Optimizer does wonders for a projector. Maybe get another player (any player?) for DVD-A and SACD playback? How often will you do this anyway in your HT room?


Enjoy the Epson Projectors. They're great units - make sure to update the firmware on it though and check it frequently. The x040UB series had vast improvements in HDR quality after firmware updates.

Thanks for this - I've read the optimizer is good for projectors but it's good to get confirmation of that. I'll be listening as often as I'm able, since this will be the music/theater room. I do have a Denon 2900 but it's analog out only..



Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
Potentially adding to everyone's decision dilemma... I noticed the UB820 price dropped a hundred bucks today at multiple retail locations (both brick and mortar and online).

It does seem like a lot of customers have problems with the 820, moreso than the X800. That said, with both dropping $100 this week, maybe the best bet is to get the Sony for universal and the Panny for UHD discs...

-kb
kincade is offline  
post #2739 of 2774 Old 11-28-2019, 07:33 PM
Member
 
enzo631's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Looking to get a 4k Uhd player for my LG 65C8 Oled.

I'm looking at the LG UBK90 and the Panasonic DP-UB820. Is the Panasonic really that much better than the LG in regard to picture quality?
enzo631 is online now  
post #2740 of 2774 Old 11-28-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,418
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo631 View Post
Looking to get a 4k Uhd player for my LG 65C8 Oled.

I'm looking at the LG UBK90 and the Panasonic DP-UB820. Is the Panasonic really that much better than the LG in regard to picture quality?
No but the Panny will have auto frame rate switching.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #2741 of 2774 Old 11-28-2019, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 729
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The Panasonic UB420 is the same player as the UB820 only is doesn't do Dolby Vision or analog outputs (which most people wouldn't use). It's on sale at an excellent price at BB.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
Mocs123 is online now  
post #2742 of 2774 Old 11-29-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hardwired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 1,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
4k/3d source options for Optoma HD51A

Upgrading my Optoma 1080 PJ to 4K and 3d for the theater room.


Source equipment and A/V receiver are outdated.


Plan to do 3D Blu rays, occasional 4K UHD blu ray, and mostly moving to streaming Amazon Prime and Netflix used on the Smart TVs elsewhere.



Would like to keep the A/V receiver for now for audio if I can. Panasonic SA-XR70.


What do you recommend for the blu ray player and an option fpr the streaming with a decent interface. The interfaces off the blu ray players have been horrid in the past for streaming stuff.

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
hardwired is offline  
post #2743 of 2774 Old 11-29-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,418
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwired View Post
Upgrading my Optoma 1080 PJ to 4K and 3d for the theater room.


Source equipment and A/V receiver are outdated.


Plan to do 3D Blu rays, occasional 4K UHD blu ray, and mostly moving to streaming Amazon Prime and Netflix used on the Smart TVs elsewhere.



Would like to keep the A/V receiver for now for audio if I can. Panasonic SA-XR70.


What do you recommend for the blu ray player and an option fpr the streaming with a decent interface. The interfaces off the blu ray players have been horrid in the past for streaming stuff.
As far as I can tell the Sony x700 plays 3D, I'd go with it. Its fast, smooth and the streaming apps are pretty decent. $128 at Amazon currently.

If you want to go with a dedicated streamer, try the Fire TV 4K stick if your budget is lower. For a higher budget go with the Shield 2019 or the Apple TV 4K
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #2744 of 2774 Old 12-01-2019, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hardwired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 1,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwired View Post
Upgrading my Optoma 1080 PJ to 4K and 3d for the theater room.


Source equipment and A/V receiver are outdated.


Plan to do 3D Blu rays, occasional 4K UHD blu ray, and mostly moving to streaming Amazon Prime and Netflix used on the Smart TVs elsewhere.



Would like to keep the A/V receiver for now for audio if I can. Panasonic SA-XR70.


What do you recommend for the blu ray player and an option fpr the streaming with a decent interface. The interfaces off the blu ray players have been horrid in the past for streaming stuff.
As far as I can tell the Sony x700 plays 3D, I'd go with it. Its fast, smooth and the streaming apps are pretty decent. $128 at Amazon currently.

If you want to go with a dedicated streamer, try the Fire TV 4K stick if your budget is lower. For a higher budget go with the Shield 2019 or the Apple TV 4K
Thank you. Great advise the Sony is exactly what I am looking for and the price was right.

It looks like I need to run a new HDMI cable in the ceiling for the higher rates. 20' length - any suggestions?

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
hardwired is offline  
post #2745 of 2774 Old 12-01-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,418
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwired View Post
Thank you. Great advise the Sony is exactly what I am looking for and the price was right.

It looks like I need to run a new HDMI cable in the ceiling for the higher rates. 20' length - any suggestions?
Monoprice, also available on Amazon. Make sure you get one with the certified premium designation which will provide reliable HDR performance
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #2746 of 2774 Old 12-01-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrBobb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,825
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 107
OPPO dead, now what?

What is an existing production, affordable, versatile, durable universal player with 4K capability?
MrBobb is offline  
post #2747 of 2774 Old 12-02-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,882
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post
What is an existing production, affordable, versatile, durable universal player with 4K capability?

I don't think you can find a production player that can match or approach what the OPPO 203/5 can offer.

I have a 203 and am extremely happy with it, but depending on your needs, you may be able to get a UHD player to only deliver UHD player things.

I'd suggest getting a dedicated streamer for streaming, a UHD player for UHD and bluray. Beyond that is where there are gaping lacks.

I have a large amount of DVDs and blurays which the 203 can handle, I also have a 103D for bluray and DVD. My library of MKV movies also needs support, along with family video and photos. I have a large amount of music in FLAC, DSD, MP3 and other formats (ALAC, etc. ) which I listen to. All on network devices, network services are well handled.

Also use SACD and DVD-Audio as well as regular CD, so support for those is important.

I use most of a universal player's features, so am well served by this. If there are things you don't need, it could be you may find a production player from Pioneer, or one of the more feature full Panasonic.

If being in production is not a thing, then I'd suggest one of the expensive OPPOs on ebay since OPPO is still supporting them. Production is something that is not really respected by most companies in my eyes, since when a new model comes out in quick fashion, support for your production player becomes more difficult or goes away. Not so with OPPO.

If that's not your cup of tea, you are left with what OPPO tried to address - having to buy multiple devices at a much more expensive price for all the features you need.
Mike_WI likes this.
hernanu is online now  
post #2748 of 2774 Old 12-03-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
billmich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 76
what performance aspects of the Pioneer LX500 are people not in love with and therefore choosing sony/Panasonic instead?

Looks like the Pioneer is the closest "play everything" option to the dearly departed Oppo203

Am I missing anything (other than the price tag scaring people away?)
billmich is offline  
post #2749 of 2774 Old 12-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
4K blu-ray

Hi everyone, Just joined here. I am building a theater in my home, and I purchased a Sony UBP-x800-m2 Ultra HD 4k 3d Blu ray player. I usually read all the reviews before purchasing anything but for some reason I did not with this Sony Blu-ray player. While waiting for delivery after my purchase from Amazon I decided to read the reviews. Not only was Amazon filled up with 4k freezing issues with this player but these freezing issues are all over the net and not only with Sony but other manufactures like LG, Samsung, Panasonic. So I don't know what to do. Send it back to Amazon? and then buy ?? It's still in the shipping box from Amazon. I decided to give Sony a call on this issue. I called the 800 # and got a tech guy on the phone. I told him the model I have X800-M2 and I asked him about the known freezing issues while playing 4K discs with this machine. His answer to me was he doesn't know of any freezing issues at all...I said to him it is all over the net. I told him do a search for it and you will see numerous people that bought this Blu-ray player and also other players from other manufacturers all have the same issues freezing with 4k discs.
He explained if I have an issue with this after I hook it to my system and there is an issue with it they will work with me on finding the problem and if it is not fixable then they would replace the player...and I only have 1 year warranty from purchase date which was 2 weeks ago.

I am really confused on what to do here??

Do I keep it or return it and then buy what?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Jay509 is offline  
post #2750 of 2774 Old 12-03-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skylarlove1999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,183
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay509 View Post
Hi everyone, Just joined here. I am building a theater in my home, and I purchased a Sony UBP-x800-m2 Ultra HD 4k 3d Blu ray player. I usually read all the reviews before purchasing anything but for some reason I did not with this Sony Blu-ray player. While waiting for delivery after my purchase from Amazon I decided to read the reviews. Not only was Amazon filled up with 4k freezing issues with this player but these freezing issues are all over the net and not only with Sony but other manufactures like LG, Samsung, Panasonic. So I don't know what to do. Send it back to Amazon? and then buy ?? It's still in the shipping box from Amazon. I decided to give Sony a call on this issue. I called the 800 # and got a tech guy on the phone. I told him the model I have X800-M2 and I asked him about the known freezing issues while playing 4K discs with this machine. His answer to me was he doesn't know of any freezing issues at all...I said to him it is all over the net. I told him do a search for it and you will see numerous people that bought this Blu-ray player and also other players from other manufacturers all have the same issues freezing with 4k discs.

He explained if I have an issue with this after I hook it to my system and there is an issue with it they will work with me on finding the problem and if it is not fixable then they would replace the player...and I only have 1 year warranty from purchase date which was 2 weeks ago.



I am really confused on what to do here??



Do I keep it or return it and then buy what?



Any help would be appreciated!



Thanks
Do you need Dolby Vision? If not buy the Panasonic ub420. Great player. Build quality is cheap but upscaling and video playback is pristine. I would return the Sony. It has some serious issues and even when working isn't the best player in that price range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
skylarlove1999 is online now  
post #2751 of 2774 Old 12-03-2019, 05:20 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Do you need Dolby Vision? If not buy the Panasonic ub420. Great player. Build quality is cheap but upscaling and video playback is pristine. I would return the Sony. It has some serious issues and even when working isn't the best player in that price range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Actually NO!...I do not need Dolby Vision. My projector has HDR...so thanks for the recommendation on the Panasonic Ub420.. I just ordered it

Jay509 is offline  
post #2752 of 2774 Old 12-03-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin TX USA
Posts: 3,418
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
what performance aspects of the Pioneer LX500 are people not in love with and therefore choosing sony/Panasonic instead?

Looks like the Pioneer is the closest "play everything" option to the dearly departed Oppo203

Am I missing anything (other than the price tag scaring people away?)
Its just the price
Panson likes this.
PlanetAVS is online now  
post #2753 of 2774 Old 12-04-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,508
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Its just the price {Pioneer UDP-LX500}
Introduced to UK in Sept. 2018 (LX800, Oct. 2018). Maybe we'll see price thaws in 2020.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #2754 of 2774 Old 12-05-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FendersRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
A game system is the last device I would want to use as a disc player or streamer. Both the PS4 and Xbox have issues. Both a stand alone disc player and a dedicated streamer are easily better. But if you play games and want to save money on a disc player and streamer. They will work. It's just neither the PS4 or Xbone gives you anywhere near the best experience. But they are both great systems for playing games.
I'm just curious on this statement of why the Xbox One S is not a good UHD in a dedicated HT room.

For me, a dedicated player is yet another device that takes up space on my shelf in the rear.

Just curious....the PS3 for example was and still is a damn good Blu-ray player. Quiet, fast, and 100% compatible with every disc I've thrown into it. Supports bitstreaming as well. In 2008-2010, it was common knowledge that the PS3 is a great Blu-ray player.

Did the thought of using a game system for UHD/HDR playback go away recently? I'm planning to use an Xbox One S as my UHD/HDR player until the PS5 comes out, so I'm curious what "issues" it has?
FendersRule is online now  
post #2755 of 2774 Old 12-05-2019, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jawaburger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post
I'm just curious on this statement of why the Xbox One S is not a good UHD in a dedicated HT room.

For me, a dedicated player is yet another device that takes up space on my shelf in the rear.

Just curious....the PS3 for example was and still is a damn good Blu-ray player. Quiet, fast, and 100% compatible with every disc I've thrown into it. Supports bitstreaming as well. In 2008-2010, it was common knowledge that the PS3 is a great Blu-ray player.

Did the thought of using a game system for UHD/HDR playback go away recently? I'm planning to use an Xbox One S as my UHD/HDR player until the PS5 comes out, so I'm curious what "issues" it has?
The X-Box cannot bitstream Dolby Atmos, for example.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
Jawaburger is online now  
post #2756 of 2774 Old 12-05-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FendersRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The intewebz says that The Xbox One S supports Bitsreaming Atmos via the Blu-ray app since March 30, 2017....
FendersRule is online now  
post #2757 of 2774 Old 12-05-2019, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
loknload's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
The X-Box cannot bitstream Dolby Atmos, for example.
Both the One S and One X can bitsream Atmos. You have to download the Dolby ap and then change the audio out to Bitstream.

The 2 biggest complaints I've heard about Xbox is they don't do DV and the user interface is slow when using the gaming remote. I don't mind using my One X at all but everybody has their own opinion.
toddRiffic likes this.
loknload is offline  
post #2758 of 2774 Old 12-05-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FendersRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,777
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The DV one is true. It doesn't support Dolby Vision, but holy hell, many TVs don't even support that. My brand new 5050UB doesn't support DV, so it isn't a loss for me.
FendersRule is online now  
post #2759 of 2774 Old 12-05-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 4,882
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post
The DV one is true. It doesn't support Dolby Vision, but holy hell, many TVs don't even support that. My brand new 5050UB doesn't support DV, so it isn't a loss for me.

Things change. When the Xbox One S first came out, it had many issues, one of which was the lack of Atmos and another is the lack of DV; a third, which may still be an issue is that it is noisy compared to a regular player.

It comes down to preferences and what you're willing to deal with. To me, the Xbox is meant to play games, it is secondarily a disc player. That doesn't mean that for you and anyone who has one, that it won't give you a very good UHD experience.

I use a regular player because I don't play console games. I also demand other things (network access to movies in different formats, different access to music formats, etc.) that the Xbox may not support. I also like the interface for my player(s).

I also highly value DV and have a display that uses it, so for me, that's a no go.

In the end though, if you like what you have, especially if they've addressed the teething issues that the Xbox One S ran into at the start, more power to you and enjoy.
aaronwt likes this.
hernanu is online now  
post #2760 of 2774 Old 12-05-2019, 09:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay509 View Post
Hi everyone, Just joined here. I am building a theater in my home, and I purchased a Sony UBP-x800-m2 Ultra HD 4k 3d Blu ray player. I usually read all the reviews before purchasing anything but for some reason I did not with this Sony Blu-ray player. While waiting for delivery after my purchase from Amazon I decided to read the reviews. Not only was Amazon filled up with 4k freezing issues with this player but these freezing issues are all over the net and not only with Sony but other manufactures like LG, Samsung, Panasonic. So I don't know what to do. Send it back to Amazon? and then buy ?? It's still in the shipping box from Amazon. I decided to give Sony a call on this issue. I called the 800 # and got a tech guy on the phone. I told him the model I have X800-M2 and I asked him about the known freezing issues while playing 4K discs with this machine. His answer to me was he doesn't know of any freezing issues at all...I said to him it is all over the net. I told him do a search for it and you will see numerous people that bought this Blu-ray player and also other players from other manufacturers all have the same issues freezing with 4k discs.
He explained if I have an issue with this after I hook it to my system and there is an issue with it they will work with me on finding the problem and if it is not fixable then they would replace the player...and I only have 1 year warranty from purchase date which was 2 weeks ago.

I am really confused on what to do here??

Do I keep it or return it and then buy what?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Was it a new disc? Sometimes there is a coating or residue (can’t remember what it was called) that doesn’t come off when they make them. The disc looks good but it really needs some light dish soap on the bottom. It worked for all my 4K discs that froze up in my players.
beerhunt likes this.

Last edited by yogi6807; 12-05-2019 at 09:52 PM.
yogi6807 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player , blu ray , Blu Ray Players , dvd , hdcp upgrade compliance , hdr , hdr player , upscale 4k , upscaling , xbox one s

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off