Official "Help Me Choose an UHD Player" Thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18396Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2851 of 3219 Old 01-17-2020, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
Thanks PlanetAVS.

I suppose because I'm a bit ignorant about the devices at this point. HDMI interface or USB? Would I plug it into the TV? (Possible compromised audio options) The receiver?(Seems ideal to point all the audio processing through it). I mostly watch movies and some local sports here and there, so I'll look for one streaming service with good movie content at high quality. Already have an over air HD antennae. We currently also have access to cable service via browser login on HTPC, but it is not a high quality source. Sorry for the sidetracking, I need to get a player, so figure this streaming concern should be addressed. I will be continuing my 4K equipment education as I upgrade pieces.
The Sony UBP-X700 probably has the best streaming apps of any 4K BD player (in the USA - in Canada the UB420 is better as it has Primevideo) and it works very well as a streaming device with very high quality 4K output and support for native 24hz streaming. It will also upscale your existing DVDs and BDs very competently; this can make watching that rare DVD you found in the bargain bin, a treat to watch.

The Panasonic UB420 has fewer streaming apps but does support Netflix and Amazon PrimeVideo in 4K and it can use it's HDR optimizer to get the best quality possible. It also seems at least as good as the X700 for upscaling DVDs and BDs and is better, via it's HDR optimizer, in many cases, for UHD BDs, at least in my experience with both. It also offers more options for HQ sound output from DVD/BD/UHD discs and streamed content. No DV support in the UB420.
ToonMasterTim likes this.

Last edited by DunMunro; 01-17-2020 at 03:58 PM.
DunMunro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2852 of 3219 Old 01-17-2020, 03:52 PM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Manual DV flipping

True. But my UHD library is small, so that’s not a concern for me now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
exm is offline  
post #2853 of 3219 Old 01-17-2020, 07:53 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,995
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10013 Post(s)
Liked: 6672
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
Manual DV flipping
Yes. That is the entire reason I did not get a Sony DV player. I have been happy with my x800 and would have liked to get another Sony. But there is no way I want to manually switch when all, other players can switch automatically between DV, HDR10, and SDR.

I wonder if Sony will doing the same crap with the PS5?

Sent from my Tab A 10.1
ToonMasterTim likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 01-18-2020 at 07:03 AM.
aaronwt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2854 of 3219 Old 01-17-2020, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
tuskenraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: S. Chicago subs
Posts: 834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since my brother-in-law works at an electronics store, was able to get a DP-UB820 for a little over $300, so went with that. Thanks for all the advice.
aaronwt likes this.
tuskenraider is offline  
post #2855 of 3219 Old 01-18-2020, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
ToonMasterTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
The Sony UBP-X700 probably has the best streaming apps of any 4K BD player (in the USA - in Canada the UB420 is better as it has Primevideo) and it works very well as a streaming device with very high quality 4K output and support for native 24hz streaming. It will also upscale your existing DVDs and BDs very competently; this can make watching that rare DVD you found in the bargain bin, a treat to watch.

The Panasonic UB420 has fewer streaming apps but does support Netflix and Amazon PrimeVideo in 4K and it can use it's HDR optimizer to get the best quality possible. It also seems at least as good as the X700 for upscaling DVDs and BDs and is better, via it's HDR optimizer, in many cases, for UHD BDs, at least in my experience with both. It also offers more options for HQ sound output from DVD/BD/UHD discs and streamed content. No DV support in the UB420.

I have had the original X800 since December 2017 and it has been a fantastic player. I only had trouble with one disc, and I don't recall which one. But the quality of the player is outstanding. I like the design and build quality. DVDs and Blu-rays look great. I won't go as far as to say that DVDs are Blu-ray quality, but they look better than I believe they have in any other player I have used...I have not had an Oppo though. Still, they look great. As you said, DVDs become a treat to watch. Blu-rays looks clean and detailed. Navigation and overall responsiveness is very good, and the apps load very quick and look great. The UB420 is a bit slow, particularly with chapter skips. The only real negative I have for the X800 is the lack of Dolby Vision, which the M2 does have, but requires the manual switching, which even my inexpensive Philips player does automatically.


The UB420 is a good player. I kept it specifically for the HDR Optimiser. Personally, I am finding that I like it over Dolby Vision on my LG OLED. The UB420 has a nice, balanced HDR presentation and with the Optimiser it retains the highlight detail and gives the image fantastic depth and realism. At the Black Friday price, it offers good value and I am happy with it for 4K UHD Blu-ray playback. I do think the X800 is nicer in practically every other aspect though.
aaronwt, humbland and DunMunro like this.

Last edited by ToonMasterTim; 01-18-2020 at 09:34 AM.
ToonMasterTim is offline  
post #2856 of 3219 Old 01-18-2020, 10:36 AM
Senior Member
 
gerall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
The Sony UBP-X700 probably has the best streaming apps of any 4K BD player (in the USA - in Canada the UB420 is better as it has Primevideo) and it works very well as a streaming device with very high quality 4K output and support for native 24hz streaming. It will also upscale your existing DVDs and BDs very competently; this can make watching that rare DVD you found in the bargain bin, a treat to watch.

The Panasonic UB420 has fewer streaming apps but does support Netflix and Amazon PrimeVideo in 4K and it can use it's HDR optimizer to get the best quality possible. It also seems at least as good as the X700 for upscaling DVDs and BDs and is better, via it's HDR optimizer, in many cases, for UHD BDs, at least in my experience with both. It also offers more options for HQ sound output from DVD/BD/UHD discs and streamed content. No DV support in the UB420.
Curious: what additional options for HQ sound output are offered by the Panasonic?
gerall is offline  
post #2857 of 3219 Old 01-18-2020, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerall View Post
Curious: what additional options for HQ sound output are offered by the Panasonic?
See page 28 of the manual:

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/bd/...TQBS0233-2.pdf

I like the Night Surround and Dialog Enhancer settings, as we're using the UB420 in a condo and I have to keep the volume down. With these settings the dialog is clear and the volume range is reduced to avoid disturbing the people around us. The High Clarity setting seems to help as well.
DunMunro is offline  
post #2858 of 3219 Old 01-19-2020, 07:27 AM
Member
 
Gentle THX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Raleigh N.C
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4K blu- ray player with zoom

Hi Gents, I wanted to know if besides the OPPO UDP 203 player, do any other 4k players have the zoom, stretch feature, to fill in the screen for the 4k Blu-ray movies.? Thanks.
Gentle THX is offline  
post #2859 of 3219 Old 01-19-2020, 10:45 AM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 155
As a former Oppo 203, Panasonic 820 and now current Sony X800M2 owner my 2 cents on the Sony vs the Panasonic.

Advantages Panasonic
- Auto Dolby Vision vs Manual on the Sony
- Front Display
- HDR Optimizer (mostly useful for projectors)

Advantages Sony
- Price
- Build quality (where the Panasonic feels kind of cheap, the Sony is built like a tank. Very Oppo-ish)
- Speed (feels faster than the Panasonic)
- Plays legacy CD formats like SACD, etc

I'm not using the native streaming apps (have a NVidia Shield Pro 2019 for that), so can't comment there. However, I'm very satisfied with the Sony player, especially considering the price. Right now I only have a handful of UHD discs that I don't even play that often so the Dolby Vision implementation doesn't affect me.

Highly recommended.
exm is offline  
post #2860 of 3219 Old 01-19-2020, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4,265
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked: 4747
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
As a former Oppo 203, Panasonic 820 and now current Sony X800M2 owner my 2 cents on the Sony vs the Panasonic.

Advantages Panasonic
- Auto Dolby Vision vs Manual on the Sony
- Front Display
- HDR Optimizer (mostly useful for projectors)

Advantages Sony
- Price
- Build quality (where the Panasonic feels kind of cheap, the Sony is built like a tank. Very Oppo-ish)
- Speed (feels faster than the Panasonic)
- Plays legacy CD formats like SACD, etc

I'm not using the native streaming apps (have a NVidia Shield Pro 2019 for that), so can't comment there. However, I'm very satisfied with the Sony player, especially considering the price. Right now I only have a handful of UHD discs that I don't even play that often so the Dolby Vision implementation doesn't affect me.

Highly recommended.
Good list of basic differences. I'm nitpicking, but I'll add PQ's slightly smoother on Panasonic, slightly sharper on Sony. Both are excellent with color handling, slightly more vibrant with Sony. Sound, wider soundstage on Panasonic, narrower with sharper attack on Sony.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #2861 of 3219 Old 01-20-2020, 01:15 AM
Member
 
momofx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Good list of basic differences. I'm nitpicking, but I'll add PQ's slightly smoother on Panasonic, slightly sharper on Sony. Both are excellent with color handling, slightly more vibrant with Sony. Sound, wider soundstage on Panasonic, narrower with sharper attack on Sony.

I also had both the X800 and a UB420 to compare side by side, before I got rid of the X800... The X800 looks and feels more robust and although the UB420 physically feels cheap like a $70 blu-ray player out of Walmart, there was a noticeable picture difference all round and it really stood out with 4K discs. Sound seems to be the same on both. That's my 2c
Panson likes this.
momofx is offline  
post #2862 of 3219 Old 01-20-2020, 08:55 AM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofx View Post
I also had both the X800 and a UB420 to compare side by side, before I got rid of the X800... The X800 looks and feels more robust and although the UB420 physically feels cheap like a $70 blu-ray player out of Walmart, there was a noticeable picture difference all round and it really stood out with 4K discs. Sound seems to be the same on both. That's my 2c

I liked my 820 PQ-wise, but I had to send it in 2 times to Panasonic for repair before I got a refurb-replacement. That was the main driver for me to switch. Before the 820 I owned the Oppo 203 but I really don't do a lot of physical media these days (mostly Blu-Rays for the kids) so after making a nice $ on the Oppo, I tried the 820 (again, stellar PQ, cheaply made and my unit was probably a lemon) and now I'm at the Sony. Extra bonus is that I'm also having a Sony television (85X900F) which recently replaced my projector. You can't go wrong with either unit: with a projector I would definitely recommend the Panasonic but the Sony is a great buy in my opinion.
exm is offline  
post #2863 of 3219 Old 01-20-2020, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
zeuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I wish I had opted for the Sony. My Panasonic 820 doesn't read my portable SSD hard drives which are formated exFAT. My entry level Sony BDP-S1700 reads exFAT so I assume the Sony X800M2 does too (I would verify this first). The 4GB file size limitation of FAT32 which they both read seems strange for a player for movies. I was swayed by the predominantly positive reviews of the Panasonic here at AVS and the many reports of Sony freezes. Now I believe most of the positive comments for the Panasonic were for those with projectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
As a former Oppo 203, Panasonic 820 and now current Sony X800M2 owner my 2 cents on the Sony vs the Panasonic.

Advantages Panasonic
- Auto Dolby Vision vs Manual on the Sony
- Front Display
- HDR Optimizer (mostly useful for projectors)

Advantages Sony
- Price
- Build quality (where the Panasonic feels kind of cheap, the Sony is built like a tank. Very Oppo-ish)
- Speed (feels faster than the Panasonic)
- Plays legacy CD formats like SACD, etc

I'm not using the native streaming apps (have a NVidia Shield Pro 2019 for that), so can't comment there. However, I'm very satisfied with the Sony player, especially considering the price. Right now I only have a handful of UHD discs that I don't even play that often so the Dolby Vision implementation doesn't affect me.

Highly recommended.

Spoiler!
zeuspaul is offline  
post #2864 of 3219 Old 01-20-2020, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 15,159
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6784 Post(s)
Liked: 4999
I was surprised to learn that the Panasonics won't play movies such as MKV and H264 coming in on the USB port connected hard drive, in slow motion, like my old Oppo did. Can anyone suggest a UHD player that will? Note: just because it can play discs in slo-mo doesn't mean that it necessarily will play stored media with slo-mo so please explain how you know, such as (hopefully) "I've tried it" . Thanks.
m. zillch is offline  
post #2865 of 3219 Old 01-20-2020, 10:54 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,995
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10013 Post(s)
Liked: 6672
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
I wish I had opted for the Sony. My Panasonic 820 doesn't read my portable SSD hard drives which are formated exFAT. My entry level Sony BDP-S1700 reads exFAT so I assume the Sony X800M2 does too (I would verify this first). The 4GB file size limitation of FAT32 which they both read seems strange for a player for movies. I was swayed by the predominantly positive reviews of the Panasonic here at AVS and the many reports of Sony freezes. Now I believe most of the positive comments for the Panasonic were for those with projectors.
What about NTFS? I thought the Sony read my external drives? Which I format in NTFS.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #2866 of 3219 Old 01-20-2020, 10:56 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,995
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10013 Post(s)
Liked: 6672
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I was surprised to learn that the Panasonics won't play movies such as MKV and H264 coming in on the USB port connected hard drive, in slow motion, like my old Oppo did. Can anyone suggest a UHD player that will? Note: just because it can play discs in slo-mo doesn't mean that it necessarily will play stored media with slo-mo so please explain how you know, such as (hopefully) "I've tried it" . Thanks.
What would slow motion be used for? I don't think I've ever played a DVD, 2K BD, or UHD BD in slow motion over the last 22 years. Or any MKV or ISO etc.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #2867 of 3219 Old 01-20-2020, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 15,159
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6784 Post(s)
Liked: 4999
Various uses for slow-motion are described here. I find it useful for several reasons including it gives me the ability to analyze how certain special effects are done and to identify the use of stunt doubles.

On Penn and Teller's "Fool Us" TV show I am often able to figure out how magic tricks are done which stump Penn and Teller, through the use of slow motion.
aaronwt likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-20-2020 at 11:14 AM.
m. zillch is offline  
post #2868 of 3219 Old 01-20-2020, 11:36 AM
exm
AVS Forum Special Member
 
exm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYY
Posts: 1,703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I was surprised to learn that the Panasonics won't play movies such as MKV and H264 coming in on the USB port connected hard drive, in slow motion, like my old Oppo did. Can anyone suggest a UHD player that will? Note: just because it can play discs in slo-mo doesn't mean that it necessarily will play stored media with slo-mo so please explain how you know, such as (hopefully) "I've tried it" . Thanks.

I'm curious if the Nvidia Shield Pro would do that. That's my go-to stream device for both my NAS (Plex) and other apps like YouTube. The new Shield has awesome upscaling.
exm is offline  
post #2869 of 3219 Old 01-20-2020, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
zeuspaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 372
I believe both Sony and Panasonic read NTFS. I generally leave the formating in its original state. I tried reformating a thumb drive to NTFS so I could use the larger file sizes and it stopped working. I don't want to experiment with my more expensive SSDs. exFAT seems to be the standard for SSDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What about NTFS? I thought the Sony read my external drives? Which I format in NTFS.
aaronwt likes this.

Spoiler!
zeuspaul is offline  
post #2870 of 3219 Old 01-21-2020, 11:11 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,995
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10013 Post(s)
Liked: 6672
I think that would be a big fat no.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #2871 of 3219 Old 01-23-2020, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
ToonMasterTim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 549
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I will add another benefit of the Panasonics that I don't believe has been mentioned. It supports FF (1.5X) with audio. I liked this feature on the PS3 to speed through some extras on discs. I don't use it often, and it wouldn't be a deal-breaker at all, but something I only found out recently myself, which is a nice feature. The Sony doesn't offer this feature.
m. zillch likes this.
ToonMasterTim is offline  
post #2872 of 3219 Old 01-24-2020, 05:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim View Post
I will add another benefit of the Panasonics that I don't believe has been mentioned. It supports FF (1.5X) with audio. I liked this feature on the PS3 to speed through some extras on discs. I don't use it often, and it wouldn't be a deal-breaker at all, but something I only found out recently myself, which is a nice feature. The Sony doesn't offer this feature.
This has been a very useful feature for me, too, on Panasonics I have owned and the PS3. The first generation Philips UHD player had this feature, too, but the second generation (7502) doesn't.
Flickpal is offline  
post #2873 of 3219 Old 01-26-2020, 10:01 AM
Member
 
Ebucel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My trusty ol' Panasonic dmp-bd85 seems to be having troubles reading discs these days. I am in the market for a new player.. I don't have any UHD/4k discs and mostly have bluray/dvds.

I have the blu-ray player hooked up to a pioneer vsx811s HIB 7.x sourround system and via analog rca connections and the video is component to my Samsung UN65H7100/7150 forget which.

I'm open to ideas it sounds like i might not want to buy the Sony x700 due to its Dolby Vision issues. i'm also in the market to update the Pioneer AVR .... but not satisfied with the wirless back speaker options and have kinda been on the fence about what to do.

just looking to update the blu-ray player first then the AV on down the road.

Thanks!
Ebucel is offline  
post #2874 of 3219 Old 01-26-2020, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 4,053
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked: 3736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebucel View Post
My trusty ol' Panasonic dmp-bd85 seems to be having troubles reading discs these days. I am in the market for a new player.. I don't have any UHD/4k discs and mostly have bluray/dvds.

I have the blu-ray player hooked up to a pioneer vsx811s HIB 7.x sourround system and via analog rca connections and the video is component to my Samsung UN65H7100/7150 forget which.

I'm open to ideas it sounds like i might not want to buy the Sony x700 due to its Dolby Vision issues. i'm also in the market to update the Pioneer AVR .... but not satisfied with the wirless back speaker options and have kinda been on the fence about what to do.

just looking to update the blu-ray player first then the AV on down the road.

Thanks!
Your TV isn't 4K. Unless you're planning to upgrade that as well you might as well just buy a standard Bluray player.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #2875 of 3219 Old 01-26-2020, 01:02 PM
Member
 
Ebucel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, that's next on the list. I didn't want to buy something then need to replace it again when I update my TV.
m. zillch likes this.
Ebucel is offline  
post #2876 of 3219 Old 01-26-2020, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PlanetAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 4,053
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2487 Post(s)
Liked: 3736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebucel View Post
Well, that's next on the list. I didn't want to buy something then need to replace it again when I update my TV.
Since you want to future proof, get the Panasonic UB820 with its HDR optimizer and auto DV switching. If that's beyond budget, the Sony x700 is a good choice although you'll have that manual DV switching requirement.

If you don't care about Dolby Vision (in other words get a Samsung 4K TV), then get the Panasonic UB 420 which has the HDR optimizer but no Dolby Vision support.
PlanetAVS is offline  
post #2877 of 3219 Old 01-26-2020, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Out West
Posts: 2,723
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebucel View Post
My trusty ol' Panasonic dmp-bd85 seems to be having troubles reading discs these days. I am in the market for a new player.. I don't have any UHD/4k discs and mostly have bluray/dvds.

I have the blu-ray player hooked up to a pioneer vsx811s HIB 7.x sourround system and via analog rca connections and the video is component to my Samsung UN65H7100/7150 forget which.

I'm open to ideas it sounds like i might not want to buy the Sony x700 due to its Dolby Vision issues. i'm also in the market to update the Pioneer AVR .... but not satisfied with the wirless back speaker options and have kinda been on the fence about what to do.

just looking to update the blu-ray player first then the AV on down the road.

Thanks!
The only X700 DV issue, is that you have to turn it on and off manually. No DV on the UB420

However, the X700/X800M2 and UB420/820 will all simulate HDR when playing HDR discs on a non-HDR display and so you can acquire 4k HDR BDs and gain some benefit from them on a non-HDR display

Additionally, the UB420/820 can use their HDR optimizer with HDR streaming content and this leads to much superior results with the UB420 on my UHD50 projector over the X700/UHD50 for the same streaming content.
DunMunro is offline  
post #2878 of 3219 Old 01-26-2020, 06:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Projector needs 4K input. Any of these also support full MKV playback over network interface? I have a mix of media. I know the goto is the UB820 for a PJ, but I believe it doesn't play nice with MKVs over LAN.
blazin912 is offline  
post #2879 of 3219 Old 01-27-2020, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,722
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofx View Post
I also had both the X800 and a UB420 to compare side by side, before I got rid of the X800... The X800 looks and feels more robust and although the UB420 physically feels cheap like a $70 blu-ray player out of Walmart, there was a noticeable picture difference all round and it really stood out with 4K discs. Sound seems to be the same on both. That's my 2c
+1 on comparisons. I have had both the Sony X800 and the Panny UB420. The Sony build quality is top notch. However, I sold it and replaced it with the LG UBK90. The LG does DV automatically, plus, it loads super fast and works very well with "normal" Blu-ray discs and DVDs. The LG UBK90 UI is very simple, but I find it refreshing to have a player that simply works great as a disc player. We have a Roku and Chromecast for streaming. The LG build quality is more robust than the Panasonic UB420, but not quite as solid feeling as the Sony. I kept the Panny for the HDR slider, and the more elaborate controls (like slow motion). However, our "Go to" player for most content (read Netflix discs) is the LG UBK90. Sometimes, simpler is better, INMO. YRMV.
humbland is offline  
post #2880 of 3219 Old 01-27-2020, 08:23 AM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 36,995
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10013 Post(s)
Liked: 6672
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
+1 on comparisons. I have had both the Sony X800 and the Panny UB420. The Sony build quality is top notch. However, I sold it and replaced it with the LG UBK90. The LG does DV automatically, plus, it loads super fast and works very well with "normal" Blu-ray discs and DVDs. The LG UBK90 UI is very simple, but I find it refreshing to have a player that simply works great as a disc player. We have a Roku and Chromecast for streaming. The LG build quality is more robust than the Panasonic UB420, but not quite as solid feeling as the Sony. I kept the Panny for the HDR slider, and the more elaborate controls (like slow motion). However, our "Go to" player for most content (read Netflix discs) is the LG UBK90. Sometimes, simpler is better, INMO. YRMV.
Didn't that LG player have Non-Defeatable HDMI CEC? If I remember correctly, that was the reason I went with the Philips UHD BD player instead of the LG.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
4k player , blu ray , Blu Ray Players , dvd , hdcp upgrade compliance , hdr , hdr player , upscale 4k , upscaling , xbox one s

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off